FM12: Borussia Dortmund - 'Wo Champions sind Geboren'

NorthernGooner

Slurmseh Not a bad season there. How is Vossen doing for you? I love him but the only thing that puts me off is his pace. For a AMC you could look at Demerci, 16 years old at the start of the game, plays for Besiktas, he is a great prospect. You could always look at Ganso, Honda, even someone like Matias Fernandez could do the job.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slurmseh, as for full backs take a look at Göhkan Gönül (Fernerbache) or Daniel Schwaab (Leverkusen), both right backs. I haven't actually bought a left back so I am rotating Schmelzer and Großkreutz.

As for wingers I'd recommend Marco Reus (Gladbach, 43 games, 22 goals and 23 assists in his first season when I bought him), Marko Marin (Werder bremen) might be a good shout also, he is a bit (a lot) more selfish than Reus though. Otherwise you could just give Moritz Leitner some first team football, he seems like a really good prospect.

How is Großkreutz at LB? Never played him there but I often play him as a defensive winger due to his work rate and stamina. Daniel Scwaab would be great but I don't think he would leave Leverkusen for Dortmund, Gonul would be a great signing though. I did have a name in my ead for LB but I can't look right now because I'm not on FM but will look when I finish work.

Großkreutz is doing fine as left back, you could probably play him as right back as well, since he is right footed.

He has great work rate, team work, stamina and anticipation which is something I like to have in my full backs. He has decent ratings in composure and concentration as well. He is not the best defensive minded back in the world, but he is doing a great job at covering the left flank with his work rate and stamina. And since I play Marko Marin ahead of him I really need a left back who can cover that side of the pitch.

Johannes Geis (Fürth) might be a decent option as right back as well. He is natural DM but accomplished in RB, so I am currently training him to play there (rotating him with Julian Koch). I got Geis for free at the start of the 2013-14 season. He has played 8 games with an average rating of 7.38, only 1 assist though. According to my assistant (18/19 JPA/JPP) Geis has a 3.5 star potential, usually a 2.5-3 star potential for me will be a leading star for the bundesliga, so 3.5 is a lot.

I have, btw, had Signal Iduna Park expanded two (three if you count the installation of 25k seats) times in 3 seasons. I asked for an expansion on the day the new seats where installed, the board first said no and then agreed after I said 'come on'. So 16k extra seats installed to make the stadium 96k (price around £20m). And before the expansion was done the stadium was picked to host the European Super Cup in 2016, which apparently lead to another expansion (this time priced at £2.9m for 14590 seats), so I am now in feb 2014 with a stadium that holds 111310 seats :thup:

Didn't wanna spend more than 10 million on a RB so I ended up with Mario (3m), a young Spanish RB (can't remember what club he's from) and I also brought in Christian Eriksen (16.25m) to replace Kagawa in the AMC role. His stats are underwhelming, and he's not done anything too magnificent so far but I have faith he'll come good.

Damiao is a beast though. Vossen is being a moany little git. He complained in the summer when I brought Damiao in, I told him I was going to be selling someone to balance the books (Barrios) and he still wasn't happy. Now he's demanding first team football, looks like I'm gonna ship him off soon.

How are you playing Damiao? I'm currently using Carlos Fierro as my main striker, he is doing really well, but he is only 19 so I could use someone with a bit more experience than him. Is Damiao worth the £30m I have to pay for him?

Manden Very impessive with those stadium expansions especially by the year of 2014, how has that affected your transfer budgets you have been recieving? have they taken a hit because of the expansions? I think Im going to just focus on squad building persoanlly before expansions as im happy with the stadium and it size.

I'm making loads of money from selling players so the balance is at £94m.

My current transfer budget is at £44m. First season I spent £17m less than what I sold for, second season I spent £10m more, and so far this season I have made £103m (only bought for £11.5m)

How are you playing Damiao? I'm currently using Carlos Fierro as my main striker, he is doing really well, but he is only 19 so I could use someone with a bit more experience than him. Is Damiao worth the £30m I have to pay for him?

Lone striker in a 4-2-3-1, play him as a poacher. Him and Gotze together are unreal. Gotze playing at AML set as an AP with full creative freedom and roaming. He's teeing up Damiao so much.

Well I decided to play my first German save in FM history and chose Dortmund. Bit annoyed with all the injuries they have at the start of the season but we'll get through. Not a huge transfer budget to work with but I have enough to work with in the squad to not worry too much. Did sign Andile Jali for 350k who will make good backup for Bender and Kehli in the defensive midfield and Jali will add a bit more in the attacking sense while still keeping the defensive side strong (with his good passing, first touch and dribbling).

Wouldn't mind a young striker as well but not sure who's good enough but costs less than 2M.

Ended up just signing Carlos Fierro who will join at the end of the season for 1.3M pounds. Started off our season incredibly with a 6-0 thrashing of Schalke in the Super Cup after being 5-0 up at half-time and probably would have been more if my substitute striker hadn't been injured meaning I had no recognised strikers after 50 minutes. Gotze scored a double, as did Grobkreutz while Lewandowski scored one, the final goal an own goal. Our injury woes just keeps getting worse though with Jali missing up to 3 months with a torn hamstring so I'm missing:

Owomoyela - 3-7 weeks

Piszczek - 2-3 weeks

Schmelzer - 4-9 days

da Silva - 1-2 weeks

Jali - 3 months

Blaszczykowski - 5-10 days

Le Tallec - 6-7 weeks

Zidan - 3-5 weeks

Barrios - 3 weeks-2 months

Right, had a tinker with Everton to get a feel for the game and now feel confident enough to start as the mighty BVB. First things first tactics - with all the attacking talent at your disposal it seems a shame to waste two slots in your team be having four defenders, so I've gone for a 2-4-3-1 formation... pre season was a bit of nightmare, beaten by lowly french sides, and a list of injuries that stretched to ten first team players. The injuries are still a real issue, I have virtually no attacking midfielders left and Bayern Munich on Saturday. The results however have turned around, I dropped my two defenders deeper and they seem far more solid as a result. First game of the season in the German super cup was all the vindication I needed, Schalke smashed 4-1, we utterly dominated possession.

Transfers In:

Dennis Agogo 9 Mill - expensive but versatile and great going forward as one of my wingbacks

Yttergard 3.3 Mill backup/challenge Gundogon

Vossen 4 Mill with barrios out at the start the season, and again the players versatility this seemed like a good move

Kara 950k backup defender, great mobility, may replace subotic

Reinartz 4 Mill another back up defender, good mobility again.

Out:

Zidan 4.4 Mill

Santana 5 Mill

Kringe 850k

Tallec 1.1 Mill

Kuba 3.9 Mill

All were sold out of the league, so no rivals strengthened. Kuba just doesn't fit the system :( .

Yeah that is the only downside at the start, you do have a lot of injuries to begin with, and not a lot of transfer budget, but I would look to bring in a new LB as Lowe isn't good enough to be back up in my opinion. Also if you bring Jali in which you did, but also Kara would be a great signing, as would Bakenga, but Carlos Fierro does also look a prospect and that is also who I am looking to sign on my save when I switch back to it :D Also some nice transfers there Buster, and interesting formation :D

Hood, It is possible to get Kagawa on a new contract, or at least on my save anyway, just make sure you do it earlier rather than later.

Hate to be a smarty pants, but the title should be "Wo Champions geboren sind" ;)

Dortmund have a great squad and are great to manage. Zidan, Kringe, Da Silva, Owomoyela would head my "I'm going to get rid of you" list. Right-back is definitely the main priority transfer-wise. Northern Gooner's Tactic 1 would be my tactic of choice. Perfect for the players you have at your disposal

Started with Dortmund myself, little disappointed by the lack of cash for the German champions would of expected a little more. Hey ho, selling a few players those being Le Tallac for 1.4m and Kringe for 950k.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation which isn't setting the world on fire as yet, hopefully when Barrios is back things may change. I'll post again after a few more games.

Won my first league game 4-0 against Leverkusen, Hummels scoring a double :p (one from corner, one from free kick) after Kagawa scored early on in the match before Gotze rounded off the performance with a goal in the 91st minute, to add to an assist. Blaszczykowski back from injury played well setting up two goals as well.

Also signed a couple of players on loan, Keiran Gibbs from Arsenal to play as a left back as cover for Schmelzer while Daniel Sturridge has come on loan from Chelsea to provide cover up front, considering I have only one recognised striker available to play. Injury woes just keep getting worse though as Blaszczykowski is out for 3 months after being injured on international duty.

After half a season I'm only 6th in the league, but still in ChL and Cup-tournament. I decided not to buy any players despite bringing in Lucas Andersen and Nicolai Boilesen on loans, to see how they develop... Furthermore i let da Silva, Zidan and Kringe off, as none of them was of any value to the Team... Players who really where positive surprises where Lewandwoski and Leitner. Not that i don't know theire potential, but both players have done a great job so far.

My only question now is... Why is the Team that Injury prone? I always have at leat 4 to 6 injuries... That can't be right, or is it just me?

After half a season I'm only 6th in the league, but still in ChL and Cup-tournament. I decided not to buy any players despite bringing in Lucas Andersen and Nicolai Boilesen on loans, to see how they develop... Furthermore i let da Silva, Zidan and Kringe off, as none of them was of any value to the Team... Players who really where positive surprises where Lewandwoski and Leitner. Not that i don't know theire potential, but both players have done a great job so far.

My only question now is... Why is the Team that Injury prone? I always have at leat 4 to 6 injuries... That can't be right, or is it just me?

Leitner is great, he is really pushing for a first team place in my team, 3.5 star potential, which is half a star over leading bundesliga.

I don't really have problems with injuries, are the injuries mostly in match or in training?

Well a disappointing draw against Augsburg (1-1) before unbelievably giving up two leads against Bayern (1-0 up, 1-1, 3-1 up) before conceding twice to draw 3-3 as Sturridge scored a double for us.

Finally got back to winning ways with a 4-1 thrashing of Nurnberg with Lewandowski scoring all 4 goals (with Sturridge picking up an injury prior to the match). Could have been a lot more after being 4-0 up at half time and should have at least kept a clean sheet before they scored a 90th minute goal from a corner. Gotze was superb with 2 assists while Kagawa and Bender picked up an assist each.

Finished my first season. We came 3rd in the Bundesliga, won the German Cup, lost the Super Cup final and crashed out to Valencia in the Champions League quarter final.

In terms of transfer news two main players have left, Kagawa to AC Milan for 20 million and Hummels to Real Madrid for 25.5 million euros. A lot of other players have left on frees including Zidan, Kringe, Le Tallec and Owomoyela. I brought in Lucas Andersen for 975k, Granit Xhaka for 1.9m and Stefan Reinartz, 6m, in the first season. So far in the second season I've brought in Willi Orban, Rene Alder, Tony Jantschke and Zakaria Labyad all on frees. I bought Sidney Sam for 3.5m, Frederik Sorensen for 4m and got Vladimir Weiss and Adebayor on loan.

Anyway so far I've beaten Bayern in the Super Cup, lost to them in the league and won against Altona 93 in the cup.

I've finished in 2nd in Bundesliga, were sent off by Dinamo Kiev in UCL and lost the DFB Pokal to Gladbach. In second season, i bought Ujah, Zimmermann, Bastians, Adler in free transfer, Kovacic, Lars Bender, the young MC from Wolfsburg, Stefan Bell and i'm selling Subotic to bring Dedé, from Vasco da Gama.

Just started my Dortmund save. Spent ages sorting out the staff as the current coaches are terrible apart from 2 or 3. I have agreed deals to sign Kara, Vrsaljko and Lucas Andersen. I also sold Kringe to Catania for £1.3m.

When is the first realistic time to ask the board to buy the stadium?

Just started my Dortmund save. Spent ages sorting out the staff as the current coaches are terrible apart from 2 or 3. I have agreed deals to sign Kara, Vrsaljko and Lucas Andersen. I also sold Kringe to Catania for £1.3m.

When is the first realistic time to ask the board to buy the stadium?

Any recommendations for staff? I got Bernard Peters as my 'head scout' for 1.2m maybe not the best thing to do as it bleeds the transfer budget dry.

I am using a tactic with the same disposition of "tactic 2" above, with Kagawa and Goetze on either flank. Start has been almost perfect with 8 wins from first 9 games but Kagawas performances have been very disappointing. I dont want to use him as a CM, passing is too low for my play style, but on the flank he's either just running into the opposition player or incase he gets past anyone he brings it across the box and passes it out wide to the fullback. Would love to see him score a few or atleast set something up.

Any tips? I suppose the best option would be to go over to a 4-2-3-1 but generally I dislike the tactic..

Kagawa has been a man possessed for me just claimed Asian player of the year

I wouldnt be able to tell you specifically what to do to make him perform as for me he performs wherever I play him, but he is a direct player so from what you say he is doing the right thing by taking on his opponent its just the final ball so try changing his crossing settings to high or low and floated or drilled, whatever you want him to do

Kagawa has been a man possessed for me just claimed Asian player of the year

I wouldnt be able to tell you specifically what to do to make him perform as for me he performs wherever I play him, but he is a direct player so from what you say he is doing the right thing by taking on his opponent its just the final ball so try changing his crossing settings to high or low and floated or drilled, whatever you want him to do

I changed formation to 4-2-3-1 playing him as an AM(A) and his performances has improved a lot. But still nothing near what I've been hearing from people. Ive marked down his closing down and mentality to give him as much space as possible in the center between the AF and 2 IFs.

What formation do you use, tempo, mentality etc?

I use the same formation as you, as for team instructions I play fluid and attacking in my main formation, and short passing with high closing down so if we lose the ball we pressure them well, due to the team having a good work rate and stamina etc, mentality is also quite high as is tempo.

Just thought I'd share with you guys how absolutely devastated I was to send my Milan scouts over to Germany to check out Moritz Leitner, only to have them come back asking "Moritz who?"

He's not in my database! And I thought I had large ticked...

I use the same formation as you, as for team instructions I play fluid and attacking in my main formation, and short passing with high closing down so if we lose the ball we pressure them well, due to the team having a good work rate and stamina etc, mentality is also quite high as is tempo.

Sounds like we play just about the same tactic. What are his stats like so far? 3 goals, 0 assists in 9 games so far, dont know rating but its 6.9ish

On a different note, anyone tried playing Kagawa upfront or as a TQ?

I have a really similar philosophy too, fluid, high temp, pressing the ball over the pitch, looking to play short passes and cut defenses to ribbons with quick one-twos and my teams dribbling stats - which at Dortmund are frankly awesome. I play Kagawa and Grosskreutz (or Perisic when he is finally fit again) as IF either side of Gotze who is a free role TQ - it seems to get the best out of everyone (well so far). Ahead of these three is a DF - at the moment Vossen as Barrios re injured got injured on international duty before he could even start a game for me. It's Lewandowski who makes the formation work at the moment beacuse he can cover either of the IF positions or the DF position really well.

On the half season update - I had to work a 16 hour shift yesterday and all plans for FM went out the window, but I'm not far off one now.

The injuries are mostly in games, still don't know why..

Brought in Lucas Andersen, two days later injured for 6 month.... Goodbye Talent! Just signed Emre Can for next Season, hope he'll turn out as great as Gündogan and Nuri Sahin... Now i just need a talented striker, who can play as backup if Lewandowski and Barrios are injured or tired... Any recommendations? I prefer players from inside the EU-area!

Jelle Vossen, is playing a blinder for me at the moment, I picked him up for 4mill, but most of that was over 48 months so for an upfron fee maybe 2Mill?.

I'm looking for a defensive forward to replace Barrios in January - i just can't keep him fit. cavani is obviously amazing but also 30mill and cup tied for the CL.

Right, just gone and started a Dortmund save.

Here's my transfers:

dortmundtransfershistor.png

Moras - One of my favourite freebies, provides cover for CB and I'm training him to be a DM where he'll provide further cover, only on a one year contract so may let him go at the end to get rid of his £20k wages, will hopefully perform this season for us though.

Castillo - I got rid of Lowe as he's rather useless and no where near Bundesliga standard, Castillo is a bit of a bargain as he provides some solid cover for the LB position when Schmelzer gets injured.

Dragutinovic - Provides cover for the year until his contract runs out, only on 5k a week so will hopefully just step up if we ever actually need him.

Ricardo Conceicao - Provides cover at defensive mid, solid player for a small price.

Bakenga - A young Scandinavian who looks like an excellent poacher and cover for the striker position, also can play on the left wing in the inside forward role which is handy and at £400k and 2k wages a week it's an absaloute steal. I expect to see many more Scandinavians arriving as I do enjoy them.

Will be playing the standard 4-2-3-1 with DM's and will probably favour a line up like this for the moment:

borussiadortmundtactics.png

Whilst Barrios is injured though Perisic will be favoured up front, others will take the places of Schmelzer etc if they're still injured.

Aiming for a title win first season here and at least the quarter finals in the Champions league, I've got the squad to do it so I'll be very disappointed if I somehow fail.

Some good signings there mate, about to fire up my save now since I have the day off. You'll have to let me know how Castillo goes, I've been playing Lowe while Schmelzer is injured but nowhere near has the right quality, the only signing that I've made is Carlos Fierro.

Archived