FM12: Borussia Dortmund - 'Wo Champions sind Geboren'

NorthernGooner

In my Dortmund game it's going pretty well. Still season 1.

11 games played, currently sitting first on 27 ahead of Bayern by 2 points.

I didn't make any signings in the first window, I might make a few depth signings in January because injuries are killing me. It's November and I'm yet to have my whole squad available to me.

My other concern is the number of goals we concede off set pieces. Not sure how to correct this, Subotic and Hummels should be doing better.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update season 1 just after January.

Played 21, on 55 points. 6 points ahead of Bayern. We've been very lucky with some wins though.

In January, I only brought in a couple loans. Roberto Firmino (1.6M upfront, 5M future fee which I think I will pay) and Danny Welbeck (will probs try break the bank to get him permanently. So good!)

Gotze is always injured for me which is annoying. I may consider selling him as he has been poor when I've been able to play him.

I don't think you will be able to, due to the fact that in Germany every stadium has a terrace that has no seating.

I got a message saying they were expanding by 20,000. I was sure it was just seating though as we won a bid for Europa Cup final in a couple of seasons. To my surprise it just got completed, I go and check it and it's a 100,720 all seater!! Show me the money! Going to make a killing for champions league games.

just got my ass handed to me by barca in the semis of champs league. thought we could win it after beating man city easily but the draw wasnt kind. need a better lb then the team is complete, napoli playing **** really helped as i was able to steal cavani and hamsik.

just got my ass handed to me by barca in the semis of champs league. thought we could win it after beating man city easily but the draw wasnt kind. need a better lb then the team is complete, napoli playing **** really helped as i was able to steal cavani and hamsik.

Ha they wiped the floor with me in the quarters. Ended up like 8-3 on aggregate or something!

Season 2012/13 Update

Currently the 16th September.

For transfers I went a bit nuts. I didn't plan on buying many players but ended up getting heaps.

IN:

Bittencourt - 2.6M Cottbus

Reus - 14.75M Gladbach

Roberto Firmino - 5M Hoffenheim

Zouma - 6.5M AS Saint-Etienne

Diego Suarez - 3.4M Dynamo Kyiv

Welbeck - Loan Man Utd

Isla - 6.25M Udinese

Perotti - 8.5M Arsenal

Romulo - 6M Vasco

Total = 56M

OUT:

Kagawa - 25M Napoli (plus 15% of next fee)

Barrios - 3.9M Flamengo

Total = 29M

Just trying to strengthen every position really. My wage ceiling is 60K and the closest one is Perotti on 50K/week. So I'm happy with that.

Also trying to get Juan Pablo Carrizo in on a free right now coz Weidenfeller is out for 5 weeks and Langerak isn't good enough. Ter Stegen will be my next big transfer either in January or next season.

• 2 weeks later...
Hows Bittencourt developed for everyone?

Too much competition meant he had to get loaned out for me. I wanted him to work out but he never performed that well. Sold him in 2018 for £7mil to Gladbach, for him to get 2 caps for Germany. I guess if you have the room to fit him in then he could come good, but I had more promising newgens.

Too much competition meant he had to get loaned out for me. I wanted him to work out but he never performed that well. Sold him in 2018 for £7mil to Gladbach, for him to get 2 caps for Germany. I guess if you have the room to fit him in then he could come good, but I had more promising newgens.

Yeah I'm the same, he doesn't get much play, but seems to go alright whenever I've played him.

How far are you guys in with your saves? I'm midway through 2019-20 season and have won 3 in a row, and top of the table this season. Wolfsburg are putting up a good shout but Bayern are pretty terrible, 13 pts behind me already. Last season I won the league by 24pts and Bayern got 7th position! To think this is a save I've put restrictions on to try and make my long term save more competitive. Bayern spend a lot and I've sold them some top newgens so hopefully they get their act together.

I'm only in my 12/13 season still. Just getting to the business end of it. Starting to break away from Bayern in the league.

Who do you guys think would be better out of Griezman or Schurlle? I know Griezman is great, but I like Schurlle's pace plus he is German.

I'm only in my 12/13 season still. Just getting to the business end of it. Starting to break away from Bayern in the league.

Who do you guys think would be better out of Griezman or Schurlle? I know Griezman is great, but I like Schurlle's pace plus he is German.

Schurrle wins all the wards as time goes on (controlled by AI, still Leverkusen). He is amazing. As you said, German is the way to go. If you can get him for under £25mil, then do so as he will cost over £40mil later on.

Although many people praise Griezmann, I didn't like him in my save. I managed him with the French national team, he had the 'Shoots From Distance' PPM and no matter what settings I did he just kept shooting from stupid angles. Not sure if this is a starting PPM, but I hate it.

Just use -------Schurlle---------

Götze----Kagawa-----Reus

Then your set for 5-8 years.

Yeah I'm leaning towards Schurlle, I like playing with inside forwards as well so he suits that more. My scouts say 19.25M, but I'll try get it down.

I would use that formation but I already sold Kagawa. I didn't like him.

-------Lewandowski--------

Schurlle----Gotze------Reus

That will be my first choice attack I think. Except if I can bring Welbeck in he will be striker.

Yeah I'm leaning towards Schurlle, I like playing with inside forwards as well so he suits that more. My scouts say 19.25M, but I'll try get it down.

I would use that formation but I already sold Kagawa. I didn't like him.

-------Lewandowski--------

Schurlle----Gotze------Reus

That will be my first choice attack I think. Except if I can bring Welbeck in he will be striker.

Nice. Don't hang around too long though or he won't sign/price will be too much. Tbh £19.25m is well worth it, seems a bargain considering what he offers.

I got a message saying they were expanding by 20,000. I was sure it was just seating though as we won a bid for Europa Cup final in a couple of seasons. To my surprise it just got completed, I go and check it and it's a 100,720 all seater!! Show me the money! Going to make a killing for champions league games.

So after this^

I won the League, Cup, German Super Cup and the Champions League. The board decide to build a stadium after me, 130,000 seater... Not needed as Signal Iduna Park was epic with 100,720 all seater, the place was a fortress. I wonder who will buy SIP though. Currently trying to sell promising newgens only to Bundesliga clubs if they are interested as I wanted this save a long term game. Hopefully it gets more competitive soon, but Wolfsburg did well by staying 4pts shy of me.

I've finally got round to making a Borussia Dortmund save. And, as I expected, I'm thoroughly enjoying it :D

It started well with a win over arch-rivals FC Schalke in the DFB-Super Cup, before a 6-0 win in the first round of the DFB-Pokal Cup. The performances in the aforementioned games were impressive too. I've set-up my team to emulate Jürgen Klopp's BVB in real life: Quick-paced attacking movements, fluid movement and passing all built upon a stable defence. Here's how my opening six games of the Bundesliga season went;

preseasresults.png

It certainly started very well, but sadly, the wheels on the Westfalenstadion bus have begun to fall off; largely due to our overwhelming commitments in the UEFA Champions League. We were on the receiving end of a 4-0 thumping from Didier Drogba's Chelsea, before another loss against Dutch champions Ajax at the Signal Iduna Park. A 4-4 draw with Nürnberg inbetween offered great excitement, but little redemption. Despite this, I'm still leading the Bundesliga, ahead of title rivals Bayern München, by 1 point!

In more depressing news, we have a host of first-team players missing through injury. Shinji Kagawa's missed the last four weeks with a torn PCL ligament, while Sven Bender - a key player in my set-up - will miss the next three to four months with a fractured knee cap. It doesn't end there though, as Mario Götze, who was just getting into his stride, will be missing from first-team action for at least three months with a torn hamstring. Annoying, but we'll get by.

I'm hoping to make these little updates quite a regular occurrence, but I won't promise anything.

Cheers, NG. My defence is solid - with the imperious Mats Hummels and Felipe Santana being the mainstays. Neven Subotic, sadly, hasn't been able to get into the side.

Ilkay Gündogan has developed very well so far. After making his die nationalmannschaft debut against Austria, he's progressed well;

21ilkaygndogan.png

He really has developed well. As ever, I'll keep you posted on my other youngsters - like Moritz Leitner - progression as the save goes on :thup:

Love Ilkay, such a great little playmaker. I like Subotic but I find his decisions and concentration levels are too low to be a defender.

As do I. His season, like many in the first-team, has been niggled by injuries, but he's starting to get back to his old, pre-injury self.

As for Subotic, I'd pretty much agree. Often lets forward breeze passed him. Felipe Santana is physically a beast, and technically, but mentally he's a little bit suspect too.

I am finding it damn near impossible to sign Ter Stegen! They just flat out don't want to sell him to me.

I've bid 20M so far and it's been flat out rejected. I can see me paying massive overs for him, but I really want him.

Just wait if your first season 12.2.2.

I bought Ron-Zieler for £9mil, only for Ter Stegen to sign a new contract with Gladbach including a release clause of £4.5mil.

I don't know why as you normally don't see release clauses in Germany, but I think it is a common occurrence with 12.2.2 patch.

Nevertheless, I bought Ter Stegen, but still found Zieler better as he's good at sweeping/rushing out.

Just wait if your first season 12.2.2.

I bought Ron-Zieler for £9mil, only for Ter Stegen to sign a new contract with Gladbach including a release clause of £4.5mil.

I don't know why as you normally don't see release clauses in Germany, but I think it is a common occurrence with 12.2.2 patch.

Nevertheless, I bought Ter Stegen, but still found Zieler better as he's good at sweeping/rushing out.

Yeah I gave up. I'll put up with Weidenfeller for another season I guess. I have a decent regen coming through so hopefully he develops.

My side is slowly coming together, I'll post a screenie of my side a bit later. Time for some FIFA action now but.

Yeah, Zieler has not disappointed me. So solid.

I must correct myself, I replaced Weidenfeller in the 3rd season, not 2nd. Zieler, Ter Stegen and Leno can all develop into top keepers, so keep a look out for any you can get for under £10m. As they are young, you will have them for many seasons.

In 2020, Klopp has taken over Bayern after a fantastic stint with Germany. Hopefully now he turns them into a powerhouse again, as finishing 7th for two seasons is not acceptable.

As I said before, I've started looking at replacements, but I'm not in real need of signing a new goalkeeper just yet. Here's just a few 'keeper I've been scouting;

Marc-André ter Stegen, Ron-Robert Zieler and Bernd Leno have been extensively scouted. At this current time, without any fees mentioned, ter Stegen is the priority. His distribution and overall game is fantastic. The other two are somewhat fall-back options, but both are great potential successors to Roman Weidenfeller.

I'll post a brief update on my save later on :thup:

Tiny update: I've reached the winter break and the January transfer window is now open. I'll elaborate further later on today, but my players have attracted interest from some of Europe's finest teams. Neven Subotic, who was linked with Liverpool, is now being mooted as a possible target for Serie 'A' side AC Milan. There's also been a bid put in for my other first-team centre-back;

matshummelsrealmadridbi.png

I firmly rejected it. £17-18 million for Mats Hummels, who's had a fantastic season, is derisory. I'm hoping, providing the financial constraints let me, that we'll be able to tether down Hummels to a new long-term contract. As for possible incomings, I've been given a transfer budget of £4.2 million - although, the wage restrictions are hindering my transfer activity somewhat.

Update time. Start of season 12/13.

This is my current side;

http://i.imgur.com/j2ZRs.png

I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now with the squad, all pretty young which is what I like. Just the goalkeeper issue to deal with. I'll keep nipping at Ter Stegen throughout the season but if not I'll try Zieler in January or July.

I bid 30M for Ter Stegen and got rejected then decided I couldn't in good conscience pay that much for a player.

This is what I'm paying my players.

http://i.imgur.com/V93KH.png

I tried to set a wage ceiling of 60K but had to renew a couple of players and the only way I could get rid of 'season increase' and 'match highest earner' clauses was to pay a little extra.

Also my three results of the season so far have been alright. Bayern beat me in the Super Cup on penalties and I flogged 1860 Munich in the league game. Also killed a D2 team in the cup with my b team. Niang has scored in both starts so far, here's hoping he can be as good as Welbeck was.

p.s. I couldn't figure out how to embed images without taking up the whole screen.

Since my last update, a lot's changed in the complexion of the Bundesliga table. Our confidence seeped away slowly, starting after a 4-0 drubbing to Chelsea, and we didn't recover for at least a month. Here's how our Bundesliga games leading up to the much needed Winter Break went;

septemberdecemberfixtur.png

From mid-September to mid-October, we had a torrid time. Luckily for us, we only lost two games in the Bundesliga during that period. It was our cup commitments which suffered. A loss to Köln knocked us out of the DFB-Pokal Cup, while UEFA Champions League beatings by Chelsea, Ajax and Villarreal effectively knocked us out at the group stage. I'm not happy about being knocked out of the DFB-Pokal Cup, but every cloud has it's silver lining.

We improved as time went on, but Bayern awaited. Juup Heynckes' side were destroying every team put in front of them, and we were thrown onto the scrapheap too. 'World Player of the Year', Thomas Müller, scored an annoying brace which got them on their way to a 4-0 win. The two losses during that worrying spell were beginning to prove costly. This is what the Bundesiga table looks like now, on Ferbuary 7th;

februarybundesligatable.png

At the moment, a 6-point lead looks almost unassailable. With the current form that the Bavarian side are in, we'll do very well to somehow win the league now. I won't lose hope, though. On the personal accolades front, there's a bit more hope. Robert Lewandowski is embroiled in a battle for the Bundesliga Golden Boot award, with himself and Mario Gómez both locked on 15 goals each.

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW - IN'S & OUT'S;

I was entrusted with a healthy €4.86 million transfer budget, but I chose to use around €170k of it. The wage restrictions were an obstacle too tough to navigate. The player I invested in is 17-year-old Algerian, Abdellah El Moueden. After initially being spotted by North African scout, Jean-Pierre Cyprien, I negotiated a €170,000 deal, with the majority coming in clauses. The only outgoing was 22-year-old Mario Vrancic from Dortmund II. He didn't have a future at the club, and with his wages at around €6k a week, I decided to terminate his contract.

INJURY NEWS;

In the last update, I told you all that first-teamers Sven Bender and Mario Götze had picked up injuries which would see them out for the next 2-3 months. I'm delighted to say that both returned to first-team commitments during the Winter break. Hopefully, they'll make a massive difference in our pursuit of Bayern München.

Well, that pretty much concludes my latest update for now. I'll update you all again soon :thup:

Finished 1st season with Dortmund, was a mixed bag really.

borussiadortmundfixture.png

First half of the season we were very poor in the league, hovering as low as 13th at one point and being in 10th going in to the winter break. In the Champions league we fared better, edging out Ac Milan for 2nd in our group.

borussiadortmundfixturej.png

After failing to win any of the first 3 Bundesliga games after the winter break and getting knocked out of the DFB Pokal by Wolfsburg I changed to a 4-2-3-1 deep instead of having one CM and one DM in the middle. Results picked up and we went on a 14 match unbeaten run taking us up to 3rd in the league and the semi-finals of the Champions League. However terrible results followed against Schalke and Twente as the defence was letting in goals for fun. We couldn't turn the tie against Twente round however we managed to recover in the league with a draw and a win to finish in 2nd place securing a place in next seasons Champions League places.

1bundesligaoverviewstago.png

Player stats:

borussiadortmundsquadpl.png

Players-wise there were some who really disappointed. Neven Subotic never performed to an acceptable level and i'm thinking about cashing in when the transfer window opens. Piszczek and Schmelzer also contributed to some terrible defensive displays and their futures are far from certain. On the positive front, Mario Gotze had a very good season along with Lucas Barrios putting in some very good displays when called upon. Mats Hummels was decent among a poor defence and Robert Lewandowski performed well but his finishing let him down at times. Shinji Kagawa had a good season but will probably be sold with the imminent arrival of Marco Reus in order to fund investment in the defence.

Overall it was a decent 1st season, but next season we have to improve massively in both defence and attack if we are to close the 16 point gap between us and Bayern. My main targets in the summer are a center back, Right back and a Left back along with possibly looking at replacing Roman Weidenfeller, who is prone to costly errors. I've already agreed deals for Sidney Sam, Ruud Vormer, Julian Schieber and Lennart Thy. Sam and Vormer will both challenge for the 1st team in the RW and DM positions. Schieber will probably be loaned out as Lucas Barrios' displays have convinced me to keep him. Thy will go in to the II team to gain experience for a season and hopefully help them to get promoted to the 3.Liga. Also looking forward to Reus and Bittencourt arriving and hopefully both will have good seasons.

Sorry for the size of the update, didn't think it would be this big!

Finally in my third season Gotze is starting to get his act together. 9 goals and 6 assists in 14 games. Loving his form!

Lucky he has been scoring coz Lewandowski got a 4 month injury on international duty :/ and Niang isn't exactly killing it. He hasn't been shocking though and everyone else has been chipping in though as well.

what role do you play Gotze in? I'm halfway through my second season and we're 1st in the league but i can't get him to perform to the level he should play at with his attributes. He's got an avg rating of just over 7, which imo is pretty poor for someone of his ability. Any advice? cheers in advance.

what role do you play Gotze in? I'm halfway through my second season and we're 1st in the league but i can't get him to perform to the level he should play at with his attributes. He's got an avg rating of just over 7, which imo is pretty poor for someone of his ability. Any advice? cheers in advance.

Adv playmaker(att) imo.

Adv playmaker(att) imo.

Yeah that's what i've been playing him as, but he seems to struggle to get on the ball and have any real influence. When i play Moritz Leitner in the same role he seems to perform much better even though his attributes are far worse:(. Also has anyone else found Gotze to be really injury prone? He seems to not be able to go more than a couple of months without getting injured for me. If he has a poor second half of the season i might seriously think about selling him.

Yeah that's what i've been playing him as, but he seems to struggle to get on the ball and have any real influence. When i play Moritz Leitner in the same role he seems to perform much better even though his attributes are far worse:(. Also has anyone else found Gotze to be really injury prone? He seems to not be able to go more than a couple of months without getting injured for me. If he has a poor second half of the season i might seriously think about selling him.

I guess it also depends on the position u are playing him. For me,I prefer him on AMR position.

My first 2 seasons were the exact same, injury prone and average, but this season he has killed it! Just persevere with him, he will come good.

My first 2 seasons were the exact same, injury prone and average, but this season he has killed it! Just persevere with him, he will come good.

Cheers for the reply mate , hopefully he will kick on after the winter break!

January update.

I didn't plan on making any major transfers, but I was thinking about selling Roberto Firmino as he never really set the world on fire. I've shipped him out on loan, and picked up James Rodriguez from Porto for a steal at 2.1M. I'm retraining him to be natural in AML and I'll probs use him there after a while as his pace and crossing goes to waste in the centre.

Ter Stegen finally signed a new contract with a 5M release clause too :D I have no money but I'll go after him in the summer if no one else does first.

I'm sitting 1st in the league, but only by 4 points, Bayern has been keeping up pretty well. Got some second division team in German Cup quarter finals. Ajax in 1st Knockout Round of UCL.

UCL is still my main focus, I want to at least reach the semi's. The team is pretty solid when everyones fit so I'm hopeful.

January update.

I didn't plan on making any major transfers, but I was thinking about selling Roberto Firmino as he never really set the world on fire. I've shipped him out on loan, and picked up James Rodriguez from Porto for a steal at 2.1M. I'm retraining him to be natural in AML and I'll probs use him there after a while as his pace and crossing goes to waste in the centre.

Ter Stegen finally signed a new contract with a 5M release clause too :D I have no money but I'll go after him in the summer if no one else does first.

I'm sitting 1st in the league, but only by 4 points, Bayern has been keeping up pretty well. Got some second division team in German Cup quarter finals. Ajax in 1st Knockout Round of UCL.

UCL is still my main focus, I want to at least reach the semi's. The team is pretty solid when everyones fit so I'm hopeful.

You won anything so far mate? I won nothing in my first season (Apart from Supercup):(, but going good so far this season sitting 6 points clear of Bayern in the league and in the 1st Knockout Round of the CL against Arsenal, but I got knocked out of the DFB-Pokal in the first round by third division Darmstadt:p.

Yeah I've won the league a couple times. Bayern always seem to just fall away at the end of the season and lose to **** teams. I had Danny Welbeck carrying my team for 2 seasons though, he even got golden boot in the world.

But I've gone **** in UCL which is why I'm aiming for that.

Just started my first save as Dortmund and I'm finding it impossible to sign anyone. I only actually want to make a couple of signings, at most - someone to add a bit of competition in midfield and a third choice striker (probably someone young that'll be happy on the bench for a year or two while I try and develop them). However, despite having nearly £50k of wage budget available I can't offer more than £3-4k per week due to board restrictions.

Has everyone else had this problem? Does it last? I'm happy working within restrictions, and really like working with a young squad to develop them (one of the main reasons I chose Dortmund for this save was the young squad), but I'd like to be able to make the odd signing to complement what's already there!

Just started my first save as Dortmund and I'm finding it impossible to sign anyone. I only actually want to make a couple of signings, at most - someone to add a bit of competition in midfield and a third choice striker (probably someone young that'll be happy on the bench for a year or two while I try and develop them). However, despite having nearly £50k of wage budget available I can't offer more than £3-4k per week due to board restrictions.

Has everyone else had this problem? Does it last? I'm happy working within restrictions, and really like working with a young squad to develop them (one of the main reasons I chose Dortmund for this save was the young squad), but I'd like to be able to make the odd signing to complement what's already there!

Yeah it's just first season. I think it's coz of the future transfers that are lined up.

Just try and put up with it, it's better from the second season.

My season is looking alright. Played 31 and I'm second on goal difference to Bayern. I should be leading, but damn Leverkusen killed me!

I should be able to make the Champions League final. I somehow killed Barcelona 6-3 on aggregate which I was stoked on. Now I'm versing Panathanikos in the semi, I'm expecting a win.

Archived