Sports Interactive Community
NorthernGooner

FM12: Borussia Dortmund - 'Wo Champions sind Geboren'

Just won the cup final then Kagawa strangely told me he wants to move to a bigger club even though he's been ***** this season. Hopefully someone bids a reasonable amount for him so I'm not stuck with an unhappy player next season. Weird that he wants to move so badly when I wouldn't count him amongst my top 5 players currently.

This game is weird. Kagawa decided that he didn't want to leave the club after requesting a transfer so I cancelled his move to PSV (apparently a bigger club - other interested teams were Palermo and Zenit who are obviously also massive). Now it's time to offer him a contract extention due to his expiring next summer. Gotze and Hummels happily committed to the club for 65k per week but Kagawa is demanding 80k per week when he is vastly inferior to both. I now have two options. Option 1 is to extend his deal. He would probably agree to sign for 75k per week. If I offered him this it would destroy my pay structure as the other two would also be on the same salary due to having highest earner clauses. New signings would probably want the same if they are high quality players. This would be a long-term issue. Option 2 is to sell him. If it was like the first season where teams would happily pay over £20m I would agree to sell him without a thought of extending his deal. The problem is that teams won't pay more than 10-12m for him now which isn't a lot of money. Big dilema seeing as he spent a lot of last season injured and didn't play well after his return.

I have just finished my pre-season leading up to season 4. Here is a link to my transfer action:

dortmundtransfershistor.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can probably see most of my transfers were involving youth players once again. I have sold or released though who have failed to make the grade and then loaned out loads, mainly to my three feeder clubs.

I made changes in two main areas of my team that should have a major impact for next season.

The first key position is goalkeeper. I was lucky that the board agreed to my request for more funding used on scouting. The reason for this is that when I signed my new scouts they all told me to sign ter Stegen as their top recommendation. After looking into their reports I noticed that he'd signed a new contract relatively recently with a minimum fee release clause of only £3.3m. I had no choice other than to sign him seeing as he's one of the top young 'keepers on the game and he's also German. I really wanted to add more Germans to my squad but they are too expensive so haven't signed many. This was a perfect opportunity in every way. The sad part about this is that I had to sell Carrizzo who has been awesome for me since my scouts found him available on a free transfer a couple of pre-seasons ago. I couldn't keep both as they are too good not to start every game. Carrizzo would've had to play because he's 30 and at his peak while ter Stegen needs to play as much as possible to reach his peak. I managed to get £8m for Carrizzo which I guess isn't bad for a 30 year old. He still likes me, which is a good thing ;)

The other position where I've had to make a major change is left back. The main reason for this is that Rausch just hasn't been good enough defensively against elite teams. I know that he doesn't show up as being sold yet, but I have accepted a bid of £6.25m for him. I had signed Cristian Ansaldi as his replacement. It's a lot of money to pay, but he is one of the top 5 full backs in the world IMO and is currently at his peak (27 y/0). He is a fantasic all rounder with the ability to be dangerous getting forwards and providing ammo to my forwards, (a key part of how I play) while also being a very good tackler. His only weakness is in the air, although that isn't so important for a FM in my system. I also secured my FM of the future last season but he will not arrive until a year's time. He is only 17 currently, but is the best LB regen I've seen. He is the perfect age to learn from Ansaldi and then eventually take over from his in 5 years time when his contract will end and he'll be 32. Here's is his profile:

diasoverviewprofile.png

My other key sales were Kagawa and Coutinho. Kagawa's situation was explained above. I believe that Torres is now better than him anyway. Also is a trequarista rather than an AMC, which fits better playing behind my lone striker and acts as a better link between attack and midfield. Kagawa is a royal pain in the ass and not worth the hastle and money from my experience. Coutinho became worried about the competition for places so I let him go. I don't need any unhappy players in my squad. While he was a useful rotation player he is never going to become elite so it isn't a major loss.

In terms of young prospects signed this pre-season these are my best two probably:

adryanoverviewprofile.png

marianojaimeoverviewpro.png

Gorrini is also a very good looking youngster, but I haven't posted his profile because he's a bit young to make an impact any time soon.

Two more things that may be worth a mention.....

1. From the original first team squad I am still using a lot of players as the core of my team. Hummels and Subotic are still two of my four CBs I use. Piszczek and Grosskreutz are used at RB and LB mainly as backups/rotation players. Leitner and Gundogan are rotating at centre midfield AP/s role. Persic is my backup left IF. Reus (counting him because he's signed at the start of the game) starts on the right wing. Gotze is still one of my star players in the AMC/W positions. Lewandowski starts upfront as a poacher. Here's my current squad (ignore the listed lineup because it's from a preseason match that I arranged only for those who were not match fit):

borussiadortmundsquadpl.png

My main aim right now is to bring in a world class striker (although none are interested currently) so that I can put away elite teams in big games and therefore compete in Europe. The other position of need is the right wing. Reus was out for pretty much the whole of last season with a long-term injury and then on top of the original 9 months he was out for a further 2-3 months after re-injuring himself in his comeback game. He now isn't the same player and can be upgraded on. Other than that I am happy with my squad.

Aims for this season are to :

- Retain the title

- Try to retain the cup although it isn't a major priority

- Reach the Champions League semis (although this depends on the draw)

The Super Cup has already been won, not that it's important.

Is this financial problem maybe a bug with the game on the update? As you can see here my wage budget is £667k per week and my current expenditure is £625k per week yet I can only offer £3k per week to players I label as indespensible:

dortmundboardroomboardo.png

I'm having the same problems. I don't know wether it is caused by having players that are getting to much salary or because I chose to start without transferbudget or that it is a bug.

I want to sell Kringe, da Silva and Kuba (Blaszczykowski). All together they get paid 90K.

Due to the financial profit the board gave me 4.5M to spend on transfers. I bought Toloi, R.Y. Jenssen and Vrsaljko, but only when I gave them an "important player" status I was able to give them a little bit more salary.

I really want to extend the contract of Kehl, but the only salary that I can offer him is 3k (even with a "important player" status and 100K remaining on salarybudget).

So what caused this situation?

[Edit: Nevermind I already found out in the bug section that it is a combination of future transfers (those 3 players will join in January) and other things. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/296635-Can-t-use-my-wage-budget?highlight=salary]

They actually don't sign until the 1st of July 2012 so shouldn't count towards the 2011/12 season wage budget as they won't be paid during that period by Dortmund

They actually don't sign until the 1st of July 2012 so shouldn't count towards the 2011/12 season wage budget as they won't be paid during that period by Dortmund

Oh that is a bit strange then.

I'm just going to try to sell those players and otherwise I'm just gonna irritate the board to ask for more wage budget. (maybe that solves the problem)

I'd get rid of Kehl. His salary is way higher than his ability. You can pick up a far better anchor man/bwm for less than 50k a week either on a free transfer or from a smaller club. For example I picked up Sandro from the Spurs reserves for 43.5k per week. 10 times the player of Kehl and cheaper to pay too.

As promised earlier, and apologies for lateness, here is my tactic screen on my save.

bvbtactics.jpg

Basically its a quite attacking 4-2-3-1. I have tinkered with the Tempo, D.Line and Width and what I have is pretty much what I'm happy with in terms of balance.

Starting from the defence, I find Subotic and Hummels work exceptionally well with the Limited defender/ Ball Playing Defender combination. My full backs are my main source of croses in the attacking third and got a lot of assists. The Midfield pairing is Bender as a BWM and either Kehl or Gundogan as a DLP in support, agin this works well I have tweaked their mentality to give a more solid defensive platform on which to retain possession and build attacks. The 3 of Grosskreutz-Kagawa-Gotze are the attacking trident which looks to patiently probe and switch possesion from one flank to the other, mainly through Kagawa, as he is equally capable with either foot he is a perfect fulcrum to distribute the ball either forward or to the wings. I have Gotze as a playmaker because he is so good on the ball and also it means that if the ball is played to the right I can pull the opposition over and switch it quickly to exploit any gaps. Lewandowski is my spearhead I have him as a DLF on support, basically due to my belief that a striker playing centrally, and with a great work rate plays very well, as his 19 goals in 22 games are testament to

I have fiddled around with some player instructons, mainly to reduce long shots, and in particular some indviduals passing styles to help maintain posession. I rarely rotate more then 3-4 payers for any game and focus match preperationon on team blend.

Interesting ideas. Your instructions are pretty much all the same as mine apart from you play narrow and through the middle while I play wide with wingers. Formations look the same too apart from you use WBs while I use FBs. Also noticed you have wide APs while I use a left sided IF and a right sided W.

Two questions....

1. Do you concede many goals? Reason for asking this is that the centre backs while awesome must be explosed with the wide defenders playing up the field.

2. How do the wide AP roles work? It's not something I've ever really looked into as I always sign wide players who are fast and can dribble. May consider that type of role for Gotze in the future. Am now using him as a W set on support.

I'd get rid of Kehl. His salary is way higher than his ability. You can pick up a far better anchor man/bwm for less than 50k a week either on a free transfer or from a smaller club. For example I picked up Sandro from the Spurs reserves for 43.5k per week. 10 times the player of Kehl and cheaper to pay too.

All the thins you say is true but Kehl is the hero of Dortmund.

He is a great tutor and he has great mental stats.

All the thins you say is true but Kehl is the hero of Dortmund.

He is a great tutor and he has great mental stats.

I just couldn't renew him out of principal. If he'd have stayed for 15-20k which is what he's worth then I'd have kept him as a backup/tutor but felt it was far too big a salary when the board had paid for 25,000 extra stadium seats which meant I had no budget to work with in the summer.

I understand that. Maybe I'll do the same but for now (playing in november 2011) I'm not far enough to conclude anything.

In what season are you playing?

In near the end of season 4 now. A lot has changed. We are very strong domestically and should win our second straight title but are struggling in Europe still for some reason. With Kehl you don't need to rush into anything. Nobody else will bid on him in January on a Bosman so take your time and decide what you want to do after the season.

I understand that. Maybe I'll do the same but for now (playing in november 2011) I'm not far enough to conclude anything.

In what season are you playing?

Because of his age, if you offer him a renewal close to the end of his contract in May or June, he will request much lower wages :)

But you do run the risk then of another team getting him on a free.

I think that's actually what I'm going to do. If he heart is with Dortmund he'll stay.

At the moment I still can't offer him or any player else the salary the want. (Maybe in March/April/May/June that's changed)

Another sterling performance, especially from the defence;

bvbberlin.jpg

I have decided to change Gotze to an inside forward and have immediately seen his performances go up a level, a few goals and assists in the last few games, also have him and Kagawa swapping positions which works well.

I'm now in season 5. Sold Hummels to Real Madrid for £22.5m. Wouldn't usually have sold him but to keep him much longer would've destroyed my wage structure and his performances were not better than my other CBs (Toloi, Subotic, Zouma and Rakitskyi) and also I ddon't need 5 of them. Gotze is unhappy about it but I'm sure he'll get over it now we finally have a team capable of going much further in Europe. Tweaked my tactics last year after another bad group stage performance. Now I can play on the counter in away games which took me to the final of the Europa League where I sadly lost to my old friends Chelsea on penalties. Won the league easily again. Should win the league easily again this season too. Think I'll have a go at Europe this year and maybe one more and if I don't look like winning it I'll probably move on to a new club as domestic competition is too easy.

Just been drawn with Real Madrid who are the holders and PSG so doesn't look good for this year. Ended up with the strongest 1st and 3rd seeds, just my luck. Having said that if we get out of this group I'll be confident of a very long run. Can't fail to make the Europa League either with Dinamo Zagreb thrown in as the cannon fodder ;)

Well I got Milan in the knockout stage of my irst season, beat them at home 2-1, which unless I nick one at the San Siro, I think they will score and I'll go out. Not to bothered though its our first season and they have done amazing on the whole.

I like your chances mate. Italian teams are pretty crap on this version of FM IMO. English teams are completely overrated and nearly impossible to beat but wouldn't worry about Milan.

Just played the hardest game of my group and pulled off somewhat of a miracle using my new European away tactic. Was particularly surprised because Sandro was suspended which meant I had to use Rakitskyi as my anchor man. Was nice to see Lewandowski get the goal too. Now I've improved my midfield and he's getting service his goalscoring record so far has been amazing and I've had bids from Barca and Real for him. Long may it continue!

rmadridvdortmundinforma.png

By niebiescy84 at 2012-03-31

robertlewandowskiovervi.png

After all that I managed to qualify easily with a game in hand. Would have the group won already nearly if I didn't give up a 94th minute equalizer against PSG

dortmundvrmadridinforma.png

dortmundvrmadridpostmat.png

By niebiescy84 at 2012-03-31

Well I managed to ovrturn Milan in the second leg after trailing 2-0 after 30 mins or so managed to win 3-2, delighted. Drew Bayern at home in the domestic cup, reult is thus;

bvbbayern.jpg

I do love beating Bayern, this was without either Kehl or Bender as they are injured and with a makeshift central midfield. I am hopeful of the domestic double and with a couple of weaker teams left in the Champions League the semi's may be on the horizon.

EDIT; Got Ajax in the quarter finals, feel like I should be able to beat them, but with Chelsea or Arsenal in the semi's that will be as far as I go though.

I'm in the january transfer periode in the first season.

Because of my good preformance in the league the board gave me a transferbudget of 6.5M

I don't know where to spend it on? Good replacements in the first team or potential good youngster?

I just have the normal selection of Dortmund +(in) R.Y. Jenssen, Toloi and Vrsaljko -(out) Kuba.

What do you recommend?

Well I won the league at a canter in the end and came up against Chelsea in the champions league semi's. After the second league at Stamford bridge this was the result;

bvbchels.jpg

Thrilled to get to the final in my debut season, on for a treble as I am in the cup final also. Sadly I face Barca who I watched destroy Benfica in the other semi 10-2 0n aggregate, 8-1 at the Camp Nou, wih 6 goals from Villa, but the final is more a huge acheivement in itself.

sorry for the double post but i can scarcely believe what my side has achieved;

bvbchamplg.jpg

First season treble and in massivley dramitic fasion. Injury time penalty winner in the last minute. Amazing.

Funny I just had the same result against the same team.

barcelonavdortmundinfor.jpg

But well it wasn't really my first time winning the CL. :p

uefachampionsleaguehist.jpg

Two more to go to equal Reals record of 10 CL trophies.

Hey Florinho,

Are you using your own created tactic or a downloaded one?

I ask because I am struggling to settle on a setup of my own.

This is the setup I am thinking of going with atm:

WraVJ.jpg

Team Instructions:

Passing: Shorter

Creative Freedom: More Disciplined

Closing Down: Default

Tackling: Default

Marking: Default

Crossing: Drill

Roaming: Default

Yeah I'm using my own tactic. A 4-2-3-1 with two CMs and his quite an evolution behind it over the last 8 years I managed Borussia Dortmund.

The funny thing is I started with a high possession defensive tactic when I took over Dortmund and ended up with something much more similar on how they actually play in RL after 6 or 7 seasons.

Your setup looks quite solid though but I would probably use pressing to give my opponents less time on the ball and less time to pick a good pass.

Imo the key to a good working tactic is that it has to fit your players and that you react to changes on the playing field. Time wasting is a key element here imo since it can help you to control the flow of a game. Just a hint. You want to play more timewasting against teams that are sitting deep to draw the out of their deep positions and you want to play less time wasting against teams that press you a lot.

If I find the time I can make a longer post about how I play exactly.

Yeah I'm using my own tactic. A 4-2-3-1 with two CMs and his quite an evolution behind it over the last 8 years I managed Borussia Dortmund.

The funny thing is I started with a high possession defensive tactic when I took over Dortmund and ended up with something much more similar on how they actually play in RL after 6 or 7 seasons.

Your setup looks quite solid though but I would probably use pressing to give my opponents less time on the ball and less time to pick a good pass.

Imo the key to a good working tactic is that it has to fit your players and that you react to changes on the playing field. Time wasting is a key element here imo since it can help you to control the flow of a game. Just a hint. You want to play more timewasting against teams that are sitting deep to draw the out of their deep positions and you want to play less time wasting against teams that press you a lot.

If I find the time I can make a longer post about how I play exactly.

Thanks for the response, I will fiddle with the Timewasting and Pressing settings and see how it goes. If you could do a post, that would be awesome :)

Dortmunds 4-2-3-1.

Atm my overall philosophy and playing style is pretty close to what I would consider the real Dortmund side is playing. Hard pressing and fast direct attacking.

But let's get through it step by step. First thing you need to know about it is that I'm playing with a classic setup so I'm not going to talk about shouts but if you know what shouts do you can surely use them to do the adjustments I do manually during games.

I generally don't go for extreme settings because they can work really great under certain circumstances but bad under others so I generally work within the higher and lower end of the normal area of my settings.

bvbteamsettings.jpg

Mentality:

Okay the first part is the mentality and I like to play a with a very balanced mentality across the board. All my players need to defend and attack together which imo is a core principal of a good 4-2-3-1.

As you can see all the players mentalities are within two clicks of each other and set around the 10 clicks mark. Not very attacking you might say and you are right but I will talk about how I add some attacking flair to the tactic later on in creative freedom and PPMs.

bvbplayermentality.jpg

Creative Freedom:

This is one of my core elements that needs a lot of tweaking depending on how much risk you want to take in your attacking game and what players you have. While my team setting is for creative freedom is very low I give a lot of my players individual creative freedom settings to match their abilities on the ball.

In general I give more creative freedom to players with high creativity and flair. Naturally you need players with the abilities to use their creativity and flair effectively.

bvbplayercf.jpg

Passing Style

Generally I prefer shorter passing but not too short since your players will otherwise run into situations where there is no near option available and just do something useless with the ball like hammering it up field or just passing it out. Naturally the players with more creative freedom will even pick long passes if they see it as a good option but that's okay if you have the players who can pull it off. So generally I want my players to take the short save option but the better they are at seeing a good pass (creativity) and pulling it off (flair, technique, passing) the more I want them to try a risky pass and even a long pass if they see fit which is again achieved through the individual creative freedom tweaks.

Tempo:

Generally I want my team to play fast like Dortmund in reality does but still maintain a certain level of control and not constantly lose the ball because of rushing it too much. The advantage of a fast playing style combined with pressing is that you will often catch your opponents in transition between attacking and defending.

Width:

If your the dominant team and will spend most time attacking it's always a good thing to play fairly wide. It forces your opponents to pull wide too and open up space in the middle. In order to avoid not having any players in the middle when I pull apart the opponents defense I have my Inside Forwards set to cut inside and the PPMs of my FBs to get forward as much as possible so they will overlap with my wingers when they cut inside.

Closing Down:

My closing down is usually set two notches above my defensive line. I know that the game usually sets both at the same level but I felt my defense looked a bit more aggressive if I set the closing down slightly higher then my defensive line.

Since I want to play an aggressive pressing game I have set my closing down to Whole Pitch which goes for all players since like I said I want all my players to defend as a unit.

Time Wasting:

This is probably one of the most changed settings in my tactics and it changes during games depending on how my opponents defend. It's an excellent tool to either draw out your opponents if they are sitting deep or get past them fast enough if your opponents play pressing as well.

Generally time wasting is kind of a modifier on how much time your players take to do everything they do on the field including picking out their next pass.

I watch all games in full which allows me to exactly see how my opponents defend.

Are they chasing my players across the entire pitch and are very aggressive? Then I usually play with little time wasting because I don't want my players to dwell on the ball for too long and get caught in a bad position where their passing options are cut off.

If the opponents on the other hand stand off and sit very deep I try a higher time wasting setting in the hopes my opponents will be drawn out if my players hold on to the ball longer making it more attractive for opponents to close them down.

Defensive Line:

A high defensive line is always a bit risky, especially against fast strikers. So what you need to do is prevent those precise passes from happening. It's therefor crucial to put immediate pressure on opponents so they can't take good pass. If you then have CBs with good positioning and anticipation it should be no problem for them to mop up these passes played under pressure.

If you don't have the best set of defenders and see that you are struggling with putting pressure early onto opponents my advice is to play with a medium defensive line height and closing down set to the last notch of own half.

I also use those settings against teams where I know they have extremely fast strikers and defenders that can play a descend long pass.

Tackling:

I prefer a normal approach on tackling since I feel it's the ideal balance between risk and reward. You don't want to let your opponents to have too much time at the ball but you also don't want your players to take too much risk and cause a foul in a bad spot. If you have players that are good at tackling up front you can also set their tackling to hard in order to be very aggressive in terms of pressing and if you cause a foul high up the pitch it's not as dangerous as when it happens close to your own goal.

Player Roles:

I'm not going into all the specific settings here since they change depending on what you want to do with your players and what their abilities are. They are also the settings I tinker the most with. So let's talk about what I want my players to do and what I see as their general responsibilities on the field.

Centerbacks:

Naturally the task of CBs is very straight forward. Keep the ball away from your goal and play a secure pass either to the CMs or the FBs. Even though I have a great BPD with Hummels I usually play against teams with a deep defensive line and the settings of my attacking players as well as them not being too good in the air usually make long high balls from defense a bad option for my team.

Players I prefer in that position are Players with good acceleration and pace as well as good positioning and anticipation. Naturally tackling, heading and marking are also important but I usually prioritize those other attributes when building a team that can play a high defensive line.

Fullbacks:

My FBs job is mainly defending and offering support to my AML/R and occasionally even push past them when they cut inside but mainly they are there to intercept wide passes and defend. Even though the run from deep settings for them are set to rarely they have "gets forward whenever possible" PPM as well as "runs with ball down left/right".

Players in these position should have about the same stat priorities like your CBs speed and the ability to be in the right position at the right time are very important. Tackling is also very important since they will often have to do a lot of high risk tacklings. Good offensive stats are a bonus.

Central Midfielders:

CMs are probably the most vital piece of that formation. They also have the most complex roles to play in this setup to keep the space in front of the defenders secure as well as play a precise through ball at the right time or distribute the ball to a wide player in order to make the game wide.

Usually I prefer a combination of a ball winning midfielder and a deep lying playmaker in that positions. The Bender twins did a really great job for me in that position for the last 6 seasons with Lars being a bit more creative and the better passer and Sven being the relentless ball winner in midfield they formed the most dominant partnership in that position for almost half a decade.

The more creative of your CMs should have the PPM "dictates tempo".

Attacking Midfielders:

These three usually run the show for my team and are next to the striker my main source of goals with each contributing 10+ goals and 10+ assists each season. Most notably probably is that I have set my run from deep settings for my attacking midfielders to rarely which is down to the fact that I need them to help with the build up game. "Roam from position" and a lot of creative freedom will still let them do enough runs from deep to not lose your attacking verve.

My AM L/R are also the only ones that don't have normal wide play. By standard they are set to cut inside and I play a left footed player on the right and a right footed player on the left so they can cut inside and score goals or play a through ball.

If you happen to encounter a team that plays two DMs in front of their back 4 it's a good idea to change this setup and let those players stay wider trying not to condense the space in the center even further. A mixture of one player set to cut inside and one to play normal is also a good setup if you don't have two good wingers with different preferred feet.

In all three AM positions I prefer creative players that can pass and dribble, setup goals and score goals alike. For most of my save Reus played on the left wing and Shaqiri played on the right while Götze played in the center which turned out to be a great combination for me.

Striker:

I prefer strikers who can contribute to the build up play as well as score themselves over pure poachers that do little else then score goals. It's also the reason why Dortmund play Lewandowski over Barrios since the Polish striker just contributes more to Dortmunds overall play then the out and out striker Barrios does.

That being said my striker has about the same settings as my attacking midfielders with the exception that he has run from deep set to sometimes.

Conclusion:

I hope that helped a bit with your tactical choices. In the end it's important you find a way of playing that suites your team chose your overall philosophy and then build your tactic around it.

Think about how you want to defend, how you want to attack and if both approaches will benefit from each other.

After that I usually try to setup my players settings to fit their abilities or even better try to train them PPMs from an early age that go well with their abilities and leave most of their settings to sometimes and let the PPMs do the fine tuning for me so I don't always need to change settings when I change players.

I just started a Dortmund save and holidayed 18 months before taking the job, due to testing a bug. Hopefully it doesn't return.

Anyways, what the deal with the winter break? It's hardly a break when you have 6 friendlies setup? How many do you guys normally arrange?

I'm playing 4-3-3 (AML,ST,AMR), how do you get the best out of the ST? I use Lewandowski but he tends to pass too much and not just shoot, also he works the channels and pulls wide when I just want him to stay dead in the target man position. I have him set as a deep lying forward with attack and wide play set to 'normal'. When he peels wide there is normally no one left up front as my AML/AMR are wide also. Barrios is still at the club, but I will sell in when the seasons over. The club bought Altidore before I arrived aswell.

Really enjoying the save atm with a goal of bringing as many Germans through the ranks as possible and have the core as homegrown players. Is there any work permit regulations in Germany though? I have signed two promising USA newgens on free and there was no process, whereas at Rangers I tried picking up USA newgens and always had work permit problems.

Goalkeepers: Will buy a key long term goalie next window. Looking at Stegen but will cost me loads or Zieler (around 12mil). Found a talented Argentinean newgen goalie that will cost me 6mil, who I might turn too but I really want a German one.

Any other useful tips you guys can give me? First time I've managed in Germany? I normally always go as my favourite team, Rangers in the SPL, but the player history bug hit me twice and I don't want to start with them again.

In regards to the winter break I maybe only keep two freindlies ad use the rest of the time to rest th squad up. I use a 4-2-3-1 with Lewandowski as a DLF on support and he rarley deviates to the flanks, do you use an AMC? if not set up one of yor CM's to break forward often to exploit any space Lewandowski creates when e moves out wide.

Im still with Wiedenfeller this ason as I didn't have the funds to recruit Stegen (Gladbach wanted 32mil for him) so will wait until this summer to see what I can find.

Tips; Upgrade your youth facilities and networking to up the quality of newgens, also expand your net to look for german youngsters outside of germany, I have one on pre contract rated 41/2 stars with quality stats from Galatasary. I would also recommend keeping a lot of players like Grosskruetz who whilst not fantastic in terms of stats is brilliantly realiable in loads of positions.

Thanks for your help.

I play 4-2-3-1 when at home, and dominate but often fail to put away my chances. I started mid season, and so far have had 4 scoreless draws, then some 4-0s and one loss to Munich. So inconsistent against opponents I should at least get one goal against. I think I just need to work out my front four as the wide men AMR/AML, set to cut inside, still play far too wide for my liking, I want them making runs in between the fullback and centre back. They sometimes get to a wingers position on the byline but don't cross so then just passes back, or they make a cross and it just hits the fullback. So many corners and quite a lot of offside calls.

I think I have got slack since playing as Rangers for so long. I have to work on my tactics a bit more.

P.S Yeah I noticed there's a lot of versatile players, Grosskreutz scored a hattrick first game I managed, also very consistent for me.

Hey how has Bittencourt developed for you guys, I'm struggling to get his stats up, but want to persist because of my German national buying philosophy. Also great week irl for the team! :)

Thinking of starting a save with these.

How much money do you get to start, and what are the finances like a few seasons in?

Thinking of starting a save with these.

How much money do you get to start, and what are the finances like a few seasons in?

At the start of the game, the budgets are far from great but there's enough there to make one or two changes. Although, the long-term financial situation is much more promising. With the Signal Iduna Park regularly attracting attendances of 80,000 every other Saturday, and with the added revenue's from the UEFA Champions League and TV rights, you'll be able to spend a good amount every Summer.

:thup:

At the start of the game, the budgets are far from great but there's enough there to make one or two changes. Although, the long-term financial situation is much more promising. With the Signal Iduna Park regularly attracting attendances of 80,000 every other Saturday, and with the added revenue's from the UEFA Champions League and TV rights, you'll be able to spend a good amount every Summer.

:thup:

Great news, might load one up this weekend :)

Who is best to sell on to make a few quid at the start of the game then?

I guess Lewandowski is wanted and the likes of PSG and Spurs will easily pick him up for 15-20 million. Some would consider losing him as a gr8 loss but you can easily fill the void by acquiring Sturridge on loan (just 50% wages). When Barrios gets well you can rotate the two.

Also donot forget to ask the board to raise your % of txr kitty available.

Are you using Alt+F9 to print screen?

Go to Documents->Sports Interactive->Football Manager 2012->screenshots and you'll find your image there. Upload it on photobucket.com and use the link in your post (click on 'globe with link' above).

great result ReaLisM and congratulations 'Philip Dooley' for winning the league.. I remembered of my days with Dortmund.

"Dortmund jerseys are for winners, they don’t shrink to fit inferior players."

Nostalgic :p