[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

Okay, in light of this, what does everyone predict for me at Southend this season?

I think if you can finish in 21st place then its a major achievement!!!! You have no budget and are over your wages, so strengthening is difficult unless you make a few loan signings, so if you can survive relegation, then its job done in my eyes!!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, in light of this, what does everyone predict for me at Southend this season?

I admit my comment was a hindsight joke :) I just knew you would do a good job really.

I predict 12th-14th this season barring unforseen stuff like you ending up 1st-11th or 15th-24th :D

I think mid-table, if you get a good run possibly get near the playoffs. Nunn and Bostock look good for this level and is that the same Manny Fernandes from Valenica, Everton, Portsmouth etc? If so he should storm this league

It is the one and same! He's not quite the player he was - there seems to be quite a few older players who really badly regress and drop down the leagues. Steven Ireland spent last season on loan in the BSP and I had Stuart Holden on loan at Darlington and he was awful.

I like the optimism of comfortable mid-table :thup:

I'd take 21st on goals scored right now if offered, to be honest! I've played 5 matches so far, we're midtable but our results feel a little too random for my liking. I prefer games to be a little more controlled (so I'm Rafa, sue me).

Well done on the back-to-back promotions, but I think you've got a tough job on your hands keeping them in the Championship. At least you've got a handful of decent outfield players, and a strong 'keeper too, so that'll give you a fighting chance :thup:

Honestly, I'm quite gutted I didn't have the chance to see the season through but the board and fans went mental when I applied for that job so I had to jump before I was pushed. I'd more applied for Twente just to see if that level of club would consider me at this point.

220px-Wigan_Athleticsvg.png

Name: Wigan Athletic

Nickname: The Latics

Founded: 1932

Stadium: DW Stadium, 25,133 (all-seater) capacity

From Wikipedia:

Wigan Athletic Football Club is an association football club based in Wigan, Greater Manchester. They have played at the DW Stadium since 1999, sharing the stadium with rugby league club Wigan Warriors. They previously played at Springfield Park for 67 years.

Wigan survived a few more years in the Premier League than expected (by me anyway) as they only finally succumbed to relegation in 2015. Since then they have fallen in the playoffs twice, before narrowly missing out on them last year. Clearly this is a team I can finally gain some top-flight experience with.

SnakeXe's Career - Season 7 New Club Update - Wigan Athletic

Board Expectations:

Championship - Respectable league position (but not judging at the moment, Predicted 9th out of 24, 13th place on arrival)

FA Cup - Fourth Round

League Cup - Already Out

My Expectations:

Championship - Challenge for a playoff spot

FA Cup - Third Round

Budgets:

Transfer: £15.86K

Wages: £254,210/week (£229,721/week currently)

Balance: £3,496,524

Squad:

Pretty good to be honest. Incredibly strong spine, the flanks are probably the weak spot - the opposite of what I had at Southend.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Leandro Castan - DLC - A classy defender.

Midfield

Darren Ramsay - DRC/MC - He looks like an absolute beast of a combative midfielder.

Scott Allan - MC - His passing range will be invaluable.

Strikers

Mauro Boselli - ST - The flop is still here, but should be unstoppable in the Championship if I can give him the ammunition.

Just come up with a new layout for the history table, what do you guys think? Better/worse/the same?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                    |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                       |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                           |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                       |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March       |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                      |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                  |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                       |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | ----     | 13th on arrival in October                |

Season 7: Halfway House Update

13th in the league and out of the League Cup when I joined, things weren't really all that bad. The squad was in relatively good cheer and had just celebrated a 5-2 thumping of Sheffield United.

I carried this streak on with 3 wins in the first 3 matches under my management, but they were all against relatively meagre opposition, and the next two matches gave me a bit of a wakeup call - slumping to successive defeats away at Reading and Swansea showed we weren't as good as I thought.

Nevertheless, we battled back to claim a win in our next match to arrest the slide before it had really gotten going, and good thing we did too as we were off to Roots Hall next!

Southend played much as they did under my management, solid shape and defend hard, hope to get a goal through a set piece or piece of skill from Nunn. They did the former very early, Wilkinson heading in from a free kick, and then absorbed pressure very well, restricting us to long range shots.

Luckily for us, one of those crept in off the post from midfielder Allan and we came out of the game with a draw a respectable result for both sides.

3 more wins in the 3 remaining games of the half season, including a satisfying 3-2 away victory over the SMBs, left us outside the playoffs on goal difference. I think that's the definition of "nicely poised".

The Good

• Collected plenty of points early on
  • Beating the SMBs
  • Could possibly be playing Premier League football next season

The Bad

• Undignified exit from Southend
  • Boselli's legs look totally done
  • Lack of height in defence means we have no threat from set pieces

Results - League Table - Squad

I only discovered this forum around 6 weeks or so ago but the FMCU Forum is where I spend my time. I love it. Threads like this one from SnakeXe is what makes it. I love it! SnakeXe - what a brilliant career.

When 12.1 hits, I will start a proper game, starting unemployed, post it all in a thread of my own and go from there. I hope to get as much enjoyment as you guys clearly do and as much as I do from reading them.

Good luck with Wigan, looks like you'll be challenging for playoffs place then :thup:

Southend doing fine without you though ;)

I definitely left them with plenty of ammunition to stay up (I made a few more good free signings after the end of the transfer window including former Everton youth Jose Baxter) - the new manager looks to be keeping things ticking over nicely.

Optimistic going for the Twente job ;)

Good luck at Wigan, and although looks a decent squad, thought you might have been given a bit more cash for signings.

They were in the bottom half of the table so I thought I had at least some sort of shot at it. Turns out I didn't! I'd have expected a bit more of a transfer budget, especially seeing the balance, but never mind, I don't think it's desperately needed right now.

It says something when going to Wigan is a good move.

At least it's not another of England's "brilliant" seaside resorts!

I only discovered this forum around 6 weeks or so ago but the FMCU Forum is where I spend my time. I love it. Threads like this one from SnakeXe is what makes it. I love it! SnakeXe - what a brilliant career.

When 12.1 hits, I will start a proper game, starting unemployed, post it all in a thread of my own and go from there. I hope to get as much enjoyment as you guys clearly do and as much as I do from reading them.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread - look forward to your own! Drop a link in here when you start it :)

Forgot to add, any win against the Dirty Mackems is great news. No doubt they are embarrassing themselves with half full stadia as they are in the 2nd tier?

Well it's not capacity, but it's still the highest in the Championship. I guess the web-footed masses have to do something on a Saturday.

Noice. Definitely dump Boselli though. You need pace to get you up the leagues!

He's a good sub when we're playing keep ball thanks to his technical quality, but he's no use at all when we're under pressure as his lack of movement means he rarely competes for clearances.

SnakeXe's Career - Season 7 - 2018/19

Story of the Season:

Championship - 4th, Playoff Winners

Having begun the second half of the season just outside the playoff spots, we wasted no time in breaking in to them, and stayed there for pretty much the whole rest of the season. With a little more luck we might have won automatic promotion, but on balance we probably didn't deserve it, with some poor points dropped.

We had the Mackems in the semi-final, probably the toughest draw since they'd have won the title if they hadn't gone into administration, and we had to negotiate extra digits and webbed feet all around as we headed to the away leg. We aimed for a carbon copy of the tactic that got us a 3-2 win there earlier in the season, and it worked in pretty similar fashion, as we shut them down to nick a 2-1 win.

The home leg was all one-way traffic, and we claimed an emphatic 2-0 win to send us into the playoff final! A little unfair on Sunderland perhaps, but to be honest, it's hilarious. :D

Bolton had thumped Huddersfield 6-2 on aggregate in the other semi, and our local rivals were sure to prove a tough test. Although as we tore them apart twice in the opening minutes, maybe not. Premier League, here we come!

FA Cup - 4th Round (lost v Burnley)

An excellent win over Premier League side Blackburn couldn't be followed up with another against top flight opposition as Burnley put us out.

League Cup - 2nd Round (lost v QPR)

All this happened before I arrived.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - £98k profit

The only signings that were mine were Ben Arfa and Fielding, of those Frankie was the pick.

Finances

Why do I always end up at the clubs that are hemorrhaging money?

5 Most Important Players:

5. Frank Fielding - GK - Excellent, reliable keeper.

4. Darren Ramsay - DRC/MC - Our season really kicked into gear when I had the bright idea of putting him in defence.

3. Ahmed Al-Suwaileh - ST - A near one in two ratio for our top goalscorer.

2. Scott Allan - MC - Absolutely gutted he'd already decided on a Bosman before I joined, fabulously classy midfielder.

1. Zheng Long - ML/AMLC - I definitely have a thing for tricky left wingers on FM12.

History:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                       |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                      |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                         |
| 2013/14 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                  |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                             |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                         |
| 2015/16 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March         |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                        |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                    |
| 2018/19 | Southend United | Championship          | England      | 17th     | Resigned in October                         |
| 2018/19 | Wigan Athletic  | Championship          | England      | 4th      | 13th on arrival in October, Playoff Winners |

Next Season:

Wow! Time for my first crack at the top level in FM12. It's been quicker to rise through the leagues than I expected, but then I've been fairly lucky in picking up jobs where the club was going places at the right time. The squad will need a massive overhaul in order to compete at the top table - only Zheng, Ramsay and Allan are really top-quality, and of those three we're losing Allan. Much will depend on our transfer budget. Fingers crossed!

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Such a shame, only 2 points from safety.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October (resigned)
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners
2018/19   Blue Square Premier     21st      Relegated

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Just a season after Weymouth grab an unexpected promotion - Darlo manage the same!

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January (resigned)
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round
2018/19   League Two              3rd       Promoted

Southend United:

Safe as houses - all thanks to me of course...

[/size][/size]Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
2015/16*  League One              21st      Relegated, I joined in March
2016/17*  League Two              1st       League Two Winners
2017/18*  League One              2nd       Promoted
2018/19*  Championship            15th      I left in October (resigned)[size=3][size=2]

Excellent work getting promoted into the Premier League. :thup: Obviously I have absolute faith in your ability to keep them up but... do you think the board would be forgiving if you struggled back in the top flight? And more to the point, would you stay on board?

I think the board would probably let me off if we got relegated. As for whether I'd stick around? Depends on how much of the squad wanted out and our financial capability to keep it together. If I was confident we'd blast our way to automatic promotion then I'd stay for sure.

Nice work mate :thup:.

Have you got any targets in mind to help you in the big time?

I had a few but none of them got work permits!

Congrats on the promotion to the Prem!

Cheers :)

SnakeXe's Career - Season 8 Preview- Wigan Athletic

Board Expectations:

Premier League - Avoid Relegation (minimum of Avoid Relegation, Predicted 20th out of 20)

FA Cup - Fifth Round

League Cup - Fourth Round

My Expectations:

Premier League - Stay up by hook or by crook

FA Cup - Depends how we're doing by the time it rolls around - if we're mid-table then go for Sixth Round, battling the drop then ditch it asap

League Cup - Drop it like it's hot

Budgets:

Transfer: £7,023,406 (£5,040,000 remaining)

Wages: £378,224/week (£276,801/week currently)

Balance: -£4,016,792 (-£7,513,316 since I joined)

Squad:

Plenty of graft, hopefully Zheng, Birnie, Cecchini and Sow can provide enough craft.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Frank Fielding - GK - A dependable keeper is essential for sides in our position.

James Tomkins - DC - Spent much of the last decade playing regularly for Newcastle in the Premier League - his experience will be vital.

Midfield

Ross Turnbull - DM/MC - A beast of a defensive midfielder picked up for buttons from relegated West Brom.

Strikers

Moussa Sow - ST - If he has one more season in his legs we're in for a treat, one of my favourite players.

Archived