[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Dogbreath by name and nature?

He's a dirty little so-and-so, but not in the same way as his brother - he keeps landing two-footers on a defender and getting a 3 match ban. Always injured as well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

175px-Southend_United.svg.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 5 - 2016/17

Story of the Season:

League Two - 1st, Promoted

Top at the half way stage, we really shouldn't have stayed there as we had a very large and protracted wobble. Luckily enough, so did the teams around us, and whilst theirs continued, allowing Chesterfield and Hereford to sneak into the automatic spots ahead of them, ours finally abated in time to cling on to a slender lead above them.

We finally secured automatic promotion with 2 games to spare, but needed a win in our final match to be sure of the title ahead of an in-form Chesterfield. Luckily, they were playing a similarly in-form Barnet away from home, whilst we were at home against playoff hopefuls Hartlepool, who counted Obafemi Martins amongst their ranks - a tricky proposition.

Fortunately, despite a very good performance from Hartlepool, we sucker punched them thrice to win it 3-1, whilst Barnet did us a favour in winning by the same scoreline to ensure we had a nice cushion to look down on everyone from. Campiones!

FA Cup - 2nd Round (lost v Bury)

After overcoming a good challenge from a Stevenage side who had not yet descended into freefall in the league, it was disappointing that a backup XI couldn't overcome BSP side Bury.

League Cup - 1st Round (lost v MK Dons)

A backup XI took Championship side MK Dons right to the wire.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Southern Semi Final

A great run in this competition this year, knocking out Gillingham then Stevenage from League Two, before doing another sort-of-giant-killing to League One Oxford. Unfortunately, Torquay proved too much for us in the semi-final, but not by much. Had we won that match we'd probably have taken the trophy, as Torquay went on to do so. Shame.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - £40k profit

Sold off the keeper I originally lauded our best player because his backup simply never gave me a reason to drop him.

Finances

Still a mess, despite a £975k restructuring loan.

5 Most Important Players:

Rather than 5 most important players this season, this is the 5 players most likely to help us back up next season.

5. Luke Young - M/AMRC - Consistent and occasionally spectacular.

4. Tony Garrod - AMR/ST - Led the line doggedly - a shame he left his finishing boots in League One.

3. Rohan Ince - DC/DM - The one player on our team capable of winning headers consistently in either penalty area.

2. Luke Rooney - M/AMRLC/ST - Our leading assist maker, breaking Garrod's old record.

1. Charlie Nunn - AML - Regularly tore opposition fullbacks to shreds, a fit and un-suspended Drogba should see his assist figures shoot skyward.

History:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                    |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                       |
|    -    | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                           |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                       |
|    -    | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March       |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                      |

Next Season:

I've had some offers and interest come in from large-ish (larger than Southend anyway) foreign teams already - clearly my rep has taken a big increase with this season's success. I've managed to tie most of my key men down to new deals in the Southend squad, so I'm not totally against staying here next season, but based on the reputation of foreign clubs that are taking an interest, it's only a matter of time before I get an offer I can't refuse. Watch this space.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Loris Karius remains the only hint of my reign now. A much improved season from the Terras.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Gary Phillips has sorted out the attack - Darlo scored just two goals less than us this season - but his defensive organisation leaves a lot to be desired. Also seems to be finally getting something out of Adorjan - 19 goals to be precise - good man.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final

Great read so far Snake. I like the fact you're still hovering around the lower levels and it's not been a sprint to the top flight. A lot more interesting to read about the ups and downs of lower league management. I think it means that success is a lot sweeter when it arrives. It's also given me a few ideas for my own career game. I've always outstayed my welcome when things weren't going well instead of resigning. Shown me there's nothing to be worried about from jumping ship as there's always another job and another challenge around the corner.

Great read so far Snake. I like the fact you're still hovering around the lower levels and it's not been a sprint to the top flight. A lot more interesting to read about the ups and downs of lower league management. I think it means that success is a lot sweeter when it arrives. It's also given me a few ideas for my own career game. I've always outstayed my welcome when things weren't going well instead of resigning. Shown me there's nothing to be worried about from jumping ship as there's always another job and another challenge around the corner.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Actually I wish I'd stayed at Darlo longer, even if it was just long enough to ensure League Two survival. There's nothing wrong with leaving amicably at a sensible juncture, but I think that should have been that summer rather than mid-season.

SnakeXe's Career - Season 6 Preview - Southend United

Board Expectations:

League One - Mid-table (minimum of Avoid Relegation, Predicted 24th out of 24)

FA Cup - Third Round

League Cup - Learn from experience

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Quarter Final

My Expectations:

League One - Lower mid-table

FA Cup - Third Round

League Cup - Not bothered

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Try and win it

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wages: £42,671/week (£43,627/week currently)

Balance: -£366,402 (-£867,612 compared to last year)

Squad:

With the club finding budget from somewhere and some hard-nosed negotiating I managed to keep the key elements of the squad that won promotion. I still had to let a few useful guys go, notably my backup AML Swallow. Should be good enough to survive.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Ante Rozic - DC - The big Aussie should give our defence bite as well as offering a threat at set-pieces.

Midfield

Danny Guthrie - MRC - The former Newcastle and Swansea midfielder should excel at this level.

Charlie Nunn - AML - He'll miss the start of the season taking part in the U20 World Cup.

Strikers

Freddy Drogba - ST - If he can stay fit he'll keep us up.

If I'm going abroad I'd realistically be looking at top division clubs, or large clubs recently relegated to the second tier, for it to be worth my while with the upheaval and learning the new language.

I'll probably stick with English football at least until I've managed in the Championship then maybe look at somewhere like the SPL or Eredivisie.

I'd have to reinstall Steam and the game on my normal HDD to tell you exactly what the difference is the SSD makes.

The only comparison I can give is between this setup and the laptop I was running FM09-11 on, which was a MacBook Pro 15" with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of RAM and a 256MB GeForce 9400M GPU.

Basically this computer gives the same performance with all the leagues I have loaded now as I got on my laptop with only Italy down to Serie C2 loaded. It's quite liberating!

I'd have to reinstall Steam and the game on my normal HDD to tell you exactly what the difference is the SSD makes.

The only comparison I can give is between this setup and the laptop I was running FM09-11 on, which was a MacBook Pro 15" with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of RAM and a 256MB GeForce 9400M GPU.

Basically this computer gives the same performance with all the leagues I have loaded now as I got on my laptop with only Italy down to Serie C2 loaded. It's quite liberating!

Sounds like quite an improvement. If I decide to get a new FM machine then an SSD might have to be part of the spec.

Cheers.

Season 6: Halfway House Update

We started surprisingly well, grinding out three 2-1 wins surrounding a planned exit from the League Cup away at Pompey. The bubble finally burst in the first game in which we actually had the majority of the play - at home against fellow division new-boys Hereford. We bounced back with a win in the next match, before settling into the sort of form I'd expected from this season - a win and two draws from the next 5 matches.

We also disappointingly went out of the JPT in the first round on penalties against Ebbsfleet at this stage.

Then something utterly incompehensible happened. We started playing well and winning. And we didn't stop.

Nine league wins in a row. Nine.

And we should have won the tenth as well - we were running in second, with Leeds a massive 9 points behind in 3rd. We went to Elland Road and took the lead, before missing two really excellent chances to make it secure, before Leeds' Swedish international striker scored a stunning brace on the stroke of half-time to turn it in their favour. We couldn't come back into the game after that, and the winning run was over.

Two wins and a draw from the next three matches still saw us celebrate the end of 2017 the same way as 2016 - at the top of the table!

Hands up, who saw that one coming?!

The Good

• Playing the best football of my career so far
  • Challenging for an unexpected promotion
  • FA Cup 3rd Round

The Bad

• JPT exit in the first round
  • Ending the winning run away to the side immediately below us
  • Lack of squad depth could prove our undoing in the second half of the season

Results - League Table - Squad

SnakeXe's Career - Season 6 - 2017/18

Story of the Season:

League One - 2nd, Promoted

After a massively surprisingly good start, I figured it was only a matter of time before the thinness of our squad caught up with us, but actually it never really did.

We secured a playoff spot with 7 matches remaining, promotion with 2, but couldn't quite nick the title at the last. Wow.

FA Cup - 3rd Round (lost v Nottingham Forest)

Although it took a replay to get past fellow League One newbies Hereford in the first round, the BSP's Dagenham & Redbridge were torn to pieces in the second. Championship side Forest did much the same to us in the third.

League Cup - 1st Round (lost v Portsmouth)

Mission accomplished with another early exit for the reserves.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 1st Round (lost v Ebbsfleet)

I may not have played my best team in this match but I expected to beat these guys. As it was we lost on penalties.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - Broke even

Best signing was between Rozic and Ngakoutou, worst probably Jones as he moaned about not playing.

Finances

Godawful.

5 Most Important Players:

Rather than 5 most important players this season, this is the 5 players most likely to help us back up next season.

5. Josh Payne - DM/MRC/AMC - The most consistent of our central midfielders.

4. Luke Rooney - M/AMRLC/ST - Took a little of the creative burden off of Nunn, would have like to have seen a little more though.

3. Ante Rozic - DC - Talismanic presence at the back.

2. Quentin Ngakoutou - ST - Finally, a consistent goalscorer!

1. Charlie Nunn - AML - Smashed the club assist record with 27 in 35 starts.

History:

| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                     |
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                    |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                       |
|    -    | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                |
| 2014/15 | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Winners                           |
| 2015/16 | Darlington      | League Two            | England      | 16th     | Resigned in January                       |
|    -    | Southend United | League One            | England      | 21st     | Relegated, 24th on arrival in March       |
| 2016/17 | Southend United | League Two            | England      | 1st      | League Two Champions                      |
| 2017/18 | Southend United | League One            | England      | 2nd      | Promoted                                  |

Next Season:

My contract is expiring and that's it for me at Southend - job most emphatically done. I have absolutely loved my time here though, Nunn is already one of my all-time memorable FM players. If the finances were in more of a position to actually compete in the Championship I'd have certainly stayed. As it is, I think we're a sinking ship at that level whosever hand is on the tiller.

I'd hope to get a mid-table Championship or SPL job next, but we'll see what comes up.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

The improvement continues, this time in spectacular style as The Terras win the playoffs! Delighted for them!

2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October
2014/15   Blue Square South       10th      -
2015/16   Blue Square South       19th      -
2016/17   Blue Square South       9th       FA Cup 2nd Round
2017/18   Blue Square South       3rd       Playoff Winners

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Darlington F.C.:

Decent enough season for Darlo - Adorjan is gone now so they struggled for goals a bit to begin with, but eventually survived with room to spare.

2013/14*  Blue Square Premier     14th      I joined in October
2014/15*  Blue Square Premier     2nd       Playoff Winners
2015/16*  League Two              18th      I left in January
2016/17   League Two              17th      JPT North Quarter Final
2017/18   League Two              15th      FA Cup 3rd Round

fifa_logo-300x261.jpg

2018 FIFA World Cup

Hosts: Russia

Holders: England

Group Stage:

Group A

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Brazil  |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 1     | +5    | 9     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Croatia |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 5     | 3     | +2    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | Russia  |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 6     | 0     | 4     | 
| 4th   |       | Zambia  |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 2     | 9     | -7    | 0     | 

Group B

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Paraguay      |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 0     | +5    | 7     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Italy         |       | 3     | 0     | 3     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 
| 3rd   |       | United States |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 2     | 
| 4th   |       | Scotland      |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 1     | 4     | -3    | 2     | 

Group C

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | France               |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 7     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Japan                |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 7     | 7     | 0     | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | Bosnia & Herzegovina |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 7     | -3    | 4     | 
| 4th   |       | Nigeria              |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 6     | -4    | 1     | 

Group D

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Argentina      |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 0     | +5    | 9     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Canada         |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | South Korea    |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 2     | 
| 4th   |       | Czech Republic |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 1     | 

Group E

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Germany  |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 8     | 2     | +6    | 7     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Cameroon |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 0     | +5    | 7     | 
| 3rd   |       | Chile    |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 5     | 7     | -2    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | UAE      |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 3     | 12    | -9    | 0     | 

Group F

| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Australia |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 7     | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Spain     |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | Mexico    |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 4     | -1    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Austria   |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 1     | 

Group G

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Netherlands |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 6     | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Senegal     |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | Costa Rica  |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 3     | -2    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Cyprus      |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 7     | -4    | 3     | 

Group H

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | England      |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 7     | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Ghana        |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 3     | +2    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | Serbia       |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | -1    | 2     | 
| 4th   |       | Saudi Arabia |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 5     | -4    | 1     | 

Knockout Stage:

Second Round:

Brazil 3 v 2 Italy

Croatia 0 v 0p Paraguay

France 1 v 0 Canada

Japan 0 v 3 Argentina

Germany 1 v 4 Spain

Cameroon 2 v 0 Australia

Ghana 1 v 0 Netherlands

England 2 v 0 Senegal

Quarter Final:

Brazil 0 v 1 Argentina

Paraguay 0 v 2e France

Spain p2 v 2 England

Cameroon 0 v 1 Ghana

Semi Final:

Argentina 0 v 1 Ghana

France 2 v 1 Spain

Third Place Playoff:

Argentina 3 v 1 Spain

Final:

Ghana p1 v 1 France

SnakeXe's Career - Season 7 Preview - Southend United

Board Expectations:

Championship - Mid-table (minimum of Avoid Relegation, Predicted 23rd out of 24)

FA Cup - Third Round

League Cup - Second Round

My Expectations:

Championship - Survival

FA Cup - Third Round

League Cup - Ditch it asap

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wages: £65,292/week (£68,454/week currently)

Balance: £359,120 (+£725,522 compared to last year)

Squad:

If we can score goals we should do well enough to keep them out at the other end. There's a huge onus on Ngakoutou, Nunn and Rooney to step it up as I haven't managed to strengthen in those areas. Central midfield looks strong now, with big names like Manuel Fernandes and John Bostock coming in.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Jak Alnwick - GK - Goalkeeper wasn't exactly a weak spot but when the chance came up to sign this guy I didn't hesitate. A phenomenal shot stopper.

Midfield

John Bostock - AMC - Big things were expected of this guy when he was younger. He's never reached that level but could be a big help to us.

Charlie Nunn - AML - If he's anything like as good as he was last year we'll do fine.

Strikers

Quentin Ngakoutou - ST - Fingers crossed he'll find the net at a decent rate still.

Archived