[FM12] Now You Do Not Punish Someone, English Or Otherwise, For Being Rubbish At FM...

SnakeXe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now this is interesting...

Job.png

Darlo are currently 15th in the BSP having been predicted 3rd and finished 5th last season. The only black mark as far as I'm concerned is that the finances are listed as "Insecure".

Should I go? I think I'll save and stop for the night and sleep on it, any advice would be welcome!

So, I decided to do what I would do in real life, which is be respectful to Weymouth by not saying anything in the press, but popping a CV off to Darlington just to see what my options are.

Decision.png

However the media seized upon it:

Uhoh.png

So I did the honourable thing:

FairsFair.png

But that seemed to spur my suitors into action:

Phew.png

With a 100% pay increase offered and the budget more than quadrupled, I felt I'd probably made the right decision. The only thing left to do was negotiate another year onto the contract, which Mr. Singh agreed to. County Durham here I come!

150px-Darlo.png

Name: Darlington F.C.

Nickname: The Quakers, Darlo

Founded: 1883

Stadium: The Darlington Arena, 25,033 (all-seater) capacity

From Wikipedia:

Darlington Football Club (also known as Darlo or The Quakers) is a professional association football club based in Darlington, County Durham, currently playing in the Conference National. The club was founded in 1883, and originally played its games at Feethams, before moving to the Darlington Arena in 2003. The arena is an all-seater stadium with a capacity of 25,000, although this is restricted to 10,000. The cost of the stadium was a major factor in driving the club into administration. The club originally played in regionally-organised leagues, and were one of the founding members of the Northern League in 1889. They were first admitted to The Football League when the Third Division North was formed in 1921.

They won the Third Division North title in 1925, and their 15th place in the Second Division in 1926 remains their highest ever league finish. Since their admission to the League, they have spent most of their history in the bottom tier. They won the Third Division North Cup in 1934; their first victory in nationally-organised cup competition. They have reached the last 16 of the FA Cup twice, and the quarter-final of the Football League Cup once in 1968. In the early 1990s they won successive titles, with the Conference National in 1990 and the Fourth Division in 1991. In 2011 they won the FA Trophy, defeating Mansfield Town 1–0 at Wembley Stadium.

The club's main rivals are Hartlepool United. The club's traditional colours are a black and white shirts, black shorts and black and white socks. The club's crest depicts Locomotion No. 1, referencing the town's railway history, as well as a stylised Quaker and the club's nickname, The Quakers, referencing the religious movement that had a historic influence on the town.

Just looking at the bare stats makes me realise how much bigger a club I've moved to - Darlington have a huge, modern stadium (white elephant though it may be) and are fully professional. The club's turnover last season was a whopping £1,859,449 - a figure that dwarfs Weymouth's. However, despite this potential for bringing in money, the club made a £440k loss over the season. Sorting out the financial situation will be a tricky challenge, but one that I'll probably have to make an attempt at sorting out if I'm going to stay here much beyond the end of this season.

But now to the positives - the vast majority of the squad that finished 5th last season is still at the club and the previous manager made some very astute signings over the summer. The squad is a little imbalanced in terms of positions, but not terrible. With some encouragement and back-to-basics football, it should just be a case of returning their belief.

150px-Darlo.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 2 New Club Update - Darlington F.C.

Board Expectations:

Blue Square Bet Premier - Challenge for the title (but not judging at the moment, Predicted 3rd out of 22, 15th place on arrival)

FA Cup - First Round

FA Trophy - Semi-final

My Expectations:

Blue Square Bet Premier - Playoffs

FA Cup - First Round

FA Trophy - Try and win it

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wages: £12,912/week (£13,849/week currently)

Balance: -£940,580

Squad:

A little midfield-heavy and only one really good striker, but there's plenty of talent and pace in there. A decent goalkeeper is an absolute must, I hope I can either push the budget just a little further or bring someone in on loan. Young striker Brian Gray looks like he'll become a really good player, but 16 is probably a little young to be leading the line.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Steven Swinglehurst - DLC - The on-loan youngster should be a great player for us.

Midfield

Oguzhan Ozyakup - MRC - The former Arsenal trainee adds a touch of class in midfield.

Benvindo - AMRL - Pace, trickery and versatility.

Strikers

Callum Robinson - AML/ST - All the ingredients are there.

Thanks all :)

Pack your jumpers, it's colder in Darlington than Messina. ;)

Well Weymouth isn't exactly the Costa del Sol either! I'm sure my extra £375 a week will stretch to some long-johns.

Amazing what a pic in the OP can achieve! :D

Good luck in your struggles to conquer the world. :thup:

Well I guess if I saw an OP with Gareth Keenan in I would be hooked!

Good decision moving to Darlington. A decent push and you'll make the playoffs :thup:

However, I'm a bit surprised that they were happy to employ a manager with only one season's experience in the league below. It's such a big step-up from Weymouth too. Might have something to do with the reputation of the BSP and BSS being so similar I suppose.

They were in a bigger state than I thought, so they may have been a bit desperate. Plus I almost won the league with the side predicted bottom, that's got to boost my rep a fair bit!

Can be fun sorting out a club,good luck with the new challenge. :)

Season 2: Halfway House Update

My first game in charge of Darlington was very simple - a home match against bottom-of-the-table Hinckley. My players looked a little unfamiliar with the 4-5-1 system I had in mind, but we still came away with a relatively comfortable 1-0 win.

The next game, however, was not good. Away to Eastbourne Boro, who were below us in the table, we shipped 2 goals despite being on top to go 2-0 down. Somehow we wrested the match into our control and brought it back to 2-2 only to throw away all of our hard work in letting in a third cheap goal in injury time. In the following game against Crewe we took the lead twice only to end up losing after an own goal equaliser and yet another injury time winner for the opposition.

I'd like to say things got much better from then, and the squad rallied round, but they didn't. They crumbled. I only won 2 more league games before the halfway point.

Luckily we also got a couple of wins in the FA Cup against regional Conference sides, but then blew our chance of a big pay day in the third round by losing in typically self-destructive fashion against Braintree.

I'm almost tempted to just holiday through to the end of the season, there's no two ways about it - the squad needs massive surgery.

The Good

• Reasonable FA Cup run
  • We probably won't go down
  • Err...

The Bad

• Throwing away at least a dozen points in injury time
  • Awful defending, laboured attacking
  • Everything, to be honest

Results - League Table - Squad

Still think this was the right move? :D

Dunno, next season will be the acid test. Sure, it's painful now, but with my own side in place and a full preseason under my guidance we should be far better off.

As an aside, I'm starting to be linked with lower League Two jobs - although it looks like AFC Wimbledon will be joining us in the BSP given their current form.

Linked.png

Either the footballing world realises what a mess I walked into with Darlo, or the rep increase is a bit unbalanced at the moment! Probably a bit of both I'd say.

150px-Darlo.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 2 - 2013/14

Story of the Season:

Blue Square Premier - 14th

The second half of the season was actually quite a lot better than the first. We found some rhythm and even resembled a football team at times. However, some crucial injuries meant I couldn't use our favoured 4-5-1 system so I flitted between 4-3-1-2 and 4-4-1-1 for the rest of the season, which had some pretty changeable results - including losing our last 3 matches when some wins might have meant a decent league position, if not quite where we wanted to be at the start of the season.

FA Cup - Lost in 2nd Round (v Braintree)

Two wins over regional Conference sides got us to the second round, but unfortunately we missed out on a much-needed payday when we couldn't beat a third.

FA Trophy - Lost in 1st Round (v Burton)

Never got going.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Squad

Transfers - Broke even

Large player turnover, plenty of loans coming in. Best signing will hopefully be Adorjan, worst was Mellor on loan - single-handedly cost us 6 points.

Finances

Getting better, though still badly in the red.

5 Most Important Players:

Rather than 5 most important players this season, this is the 5 players most likely to help next season not be this painful/dull/terrible.

5. Oguzhan Ozyakup - MRC - Should sing in a better team.

4. Brian Gray - AMC/ST - Amazing prospect, will sign professional terms in the summer so should be capable of starting.

3. Harry Davis - DC - Let down by fairly poor fullbacks, tried manfully enough to suggest he'll do better with better company.

2. Matthew Urwin - GK - Kept 4 clean sheets in a row when he first joined, couldn't keep it up though.

1. Krisztian Adorjan - AMC/ST - A wonderful capture for us - the scouts say he's League One standard and I agree. I'll be building the team around him.

History:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | Team            | League                | Country      | Position | Notes                                     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012/13 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 2nd      | Playoff Semi-finalists                    |
| 2013/14 | Weymouth        | Blue Square South     | England      | 3rd      | Resigned in October                       |
|    -    | Darlington      | Blue Square Premier   | England      | 14th     | 15th on arrival in October                |

Next Season:

I'm sure the board and fans won't settle for anything less than a promotion push, and neither will I to be honest. I really want things to work out here, I feel I owe it to the fans and board after suffering through last season without much sign of improvement.

Here you go! A hint about finances will be fine, other than friendlies of course. And some basic tactics would be ncie too since I don't know any other atctics than pssing games but these guys clearly are incapable of that and I'm going to have to use long balls I guess but I need some advice on the use of that. I'm playing a classic 4-4-2 and my squad consists of players accordingly. Thanks anyway, even if you can't help, the fact that you're willing is enough :)

Here you go! A hint about finances will be fine, other than friendlies of course. And some basic tactics would be ncie too since I don't know any other atctics than pssing games but these guys clearly are incapable of that and I'm going to have to use long balls I guess but I need some advice on the use of that. I'm playing a classic 4-4-2 and my squad consists of players accordingly. Thanks anyway, even if you can't help, the fact that you're willing is enough :)

Well being as you've won your first four games I'm not sure you need my help! Finances are tricky in lower leagues, basically if you want to ensure you don't lose loads of money you have to work out how much your wage budget actually is, rather than what the board tells you it is - often what your club can really afford is much less. Keep a close eye on bonuses when signing contracts as well - you might think "Well £100 per goal is fine, I'll be happy to pay that" - but if he goes on to score 30 in the season that's £3k. Not to mention appearance fees as well!

Tactically I like to keep things rigid and very very simple. Get the ball forward quickly, as few passes to goal as possible - basically going by the principle that the fewer touches it requires, the less likely there is to be a mistake. 4-4-2 is usually the best bet.

Adorjan looks excellent for this level. :thup: Do you think he can thrive in your preferred 4-5-1, or will you have to mix things up tactically?

I'm hoping to use him as an advanced playmaker in the AMC position, so I'll work out what the best arrangement around that will be. I'm torn between 4-3-1-2 and 4-4-1-1 at the moment. 4-4-1-1 is probably better defensively whilst 4-3-1-2 has the advantage of two men up top and plenty of men in midfield to retain the ball. I'll probably get training in both over the summer and experiment in the friendlies. I love 4-2-3-1 as a system (see my Messina game) but it's not really practical at this level I don't think, unless I get some outrageously good fullbacks.

Former Club Watch:

Weymouth F.C.:

Having left the side in third, they continued to challenge for a playoff spot until falling away with about 8 games left. They still wildly exceeded the season's prediction of 16th so I can feel proud of how I've established the club in a league they were expected to drop straight back out of.

Season    League                  Position  Notes                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13*  Blue Square South       2nd       Playoff semi-finalists
2013/14*  Blue Square South       9th       I left in October

NB * indicates that I was in charge for at least part of the season.

Gratz on the offer!

As for your advice, I wish I saw that before the season started lol. I've used half of my wage budget and it's apparently more than we can actually pay. We'll see how it works out. About the tactics, I began the first game with direct passes with the same principal in mind as yours, but that didn't work out. Now we're playing a short passing game and amazingly, we can! :D We play much better this way and I think we can make a midtable finish, hopefully that is ^^

Gratz on the offer!

As for your advice, I wish I saw that before the season started lol. I've used half of my wage budget and it's apparently more than we can actually pay. We'll see how it works out. About the tactics, I began the first game with direct passes with the same principal in mind as yours, but that didn't work out. Now we're playing a short passing game and amazingly, we can! :D We play much better this way and I think we can make a midtable finish, hopefully that is ^^

That's good news! Always better to play a passing game if you can, frustrates and tires the opposition as well as being an excellent defensive tactic. I just haven't been able to implement it with anything less than a top side.

Looking at the players you've got, I'd be amazed if you don't finish top five next season. Quality through the core of the team :thup:

Piling the pressure on, eh? ;)

Nah I agree, we should really be looking at taking the title. I just need to get to grips with how to set up a team to succeed at this level.

fifa_logo-300x261.jpg

2014 FIFA World Cup

Hosts: Brazil

Holders: Spain

Group Stage:

Group A

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Brazil  |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 3     | +4    | 7     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Canada  |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 3     | +2    | 7     | 
| 3rd   |       | Morocco |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 7     | 8     | -1    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Romania |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 3     | 8     | -5    | 0     | 

Group B

| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Spain     |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 1     | +5    | 9     | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Sweden    |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 7     | 6     | +1    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | Australia |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 2     | 
| 4th   |       | U.S.A.    |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 6     | -4    | 1     | 

Group C

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | England      |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 9     | 3     | +6    | 9     | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Russia       |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 7     | 3     | +4    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | South Africa |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 5     | 7     | -2    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Saudi Arabia |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 1     | 9     | -8    | 0     | 

Group D

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Wales    |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 9     | 3     | +6    | 7     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Serbia   |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 6     | 4     | +2    | 5     | 
| 3rd   |       | Paraguay |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 2     | 
| 4th   |       | Mali     |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 9     | -6    | 1     | 

Group E

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Italy          |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 9     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Uruguay        |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 4     | -1    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | Bosnia & Herz. |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Ghana          |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 1     | 

Group F

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Portugal    |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 7     | 3     | +4    | 9     | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Ivory Coast |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 3     | +2    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | Holland     |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 4     | -1    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Iran        |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 3     | 8     | -5    | 0     | 

Group G

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Q     | Mexico   |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 5     | 
| 2nd   | Q     | Chile    |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 5     | 
| 3rd   |       | Slovenia |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 
| 4th   |       | Japan    |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 1     | 

Group H

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Q     | France      |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 9     | 1     | +8    | 9     | 
| 2nd   | Q     | Argentina   |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 3     | 
| 3rd   |       | South Korea |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Jamaica     |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 7     | -6    | 3     | 

Knockout Stage:

Second Round:

Brazil 4 v 2 Sweden

Spain 6 v 0 Canada

England 3 v 1 Serbia

Wales 0 v 1 Russia

Ivory Coast 0 v 2 Italy

Uruguay 2 v 1 Portugal

Mexico 2 v 4 Argentina

France 4 v 3 Chile

Quarter Final:

Brazil 4 v 2 Russia

Spain 0 v 1 England

Italy 1 v 2 France

Uruguay 1 v 3e Argentina

Semi Final:

Brazil 3 v 0 Argentina

England 2 v 0 France

Third Place Playoff:

France 3 v 1 Argentina

Final:

Brazil 1 v 1p England (Okay, officially the least realistic FM ever, I want my money back)

150px-Darlo.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 3 Preview - Darlington F.C.

Board Expectations:

Blue Square Bet Premier - Promotion (minimum of Top-half, Predicted 6th out of 24)

FA Cup - First Round

FA Trophy - Unimportant

My Expectations:

Blue Square Bet Premier - Promotion

FA Cup - Hope for Third Round

FA Trophy - Hope for Winners

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wages: £11,395/week (£10,671/week currently)

Balance: -£612,603 (+£327,977 compared to last season)

Squad:

Wage bill down, quality up, a squad with class and character. If it's not enough then I'm the problem, simple as.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Harry Davis - DC - Captain and leader at the back.

Midfield

Oguzhan Ozyakup - MRC - Poor last season, should do better.

Krisztian Adorjan - AMC/ST - Sheer class.

Strikers

Joel Ambalu - ST - The on-loan youngster should thrive at this level.

Oh definitely, I wasn't planning on taking one until I've actually achieved something in non-league, just nice to know my burgeoning reputation didn't take too much of a hit from not being an immediate messiah at Darlington!

Season 3: Halfway House Update

We started the season very very well, with 4 wins from the first 4 matches. We first dropped points away to Eastbourne, who we battered for 80 minutes but only found one goal, whilst they had one attack and scored.

3 wins, a draw and a loss from the next 6 wasn't great, but 4 wins after that and a 7-0 thrashing of Wakefield in the FA Cup qualifying meant we were feeling really confident.

However, I absent mindedly asked the assistant to take care of the team talk after the 7-0, and he managed to **** off the entire squad. Cue 5 games without a win.

A penalty shootout win over Telford in the FA Cup first round restored confidence, and we beat League Two side Oxford in the next round, and won our next two league games as well. Unfortunately injuries started to mean I couldn't use either of my favoured 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-1-1 systems, so I had to reshuffle. This resulted in 3 straight defeats to end the half-season.

The Good

• Comfortable in a playoff spot
  • Playing good football
  • Bignall has scored well

The Bad

• Injuries
  • Can't work out Adorjan
  • Poor finishing (broken record, huh?)

Results - League Table - Squad

I'm visiting your thread SnakeXe to catch up and also to get some inspiration for starting my own FM12 adventure!

England beaten by San Marino but then winning the World Cup in 2014? I'd take that, to be honest! :D

Nice move to Darlo. I think it was the right move although I did kind of want to see what you could do with Weymouth if you stayed a bit longer.

Archived