The Hitch hiker's guide to FM12

B.W.G

pl-fikander - Thanks for the link :D Guess it would make sense that one would pop-up eventually as 1% of the Brazil are Brazilian-Polish!

City2000 - Thanks :D I'm going to try and give Bispo a few games in Serie A level to see how it helps him develop but will probably do so against the lower sides.

deltablue - It is indeed,even though I made it more difficult then it should have been against Lanus in the first leg :lol:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks :D We have lost our first domestic game this year in a 2-0 defeat to Atletico Mineiro,it was a game where we could have won if we just finished better!

We've made it through to the Copa Libertadores semi's where we will face Serie A rivals Internacional.The winners will then go on to face Olimpia or America (Mex).

The good news is we've won the Copa Libertadores 3-1 on agg against America (Mex),the bad news is Man City won the Champions League...could possibly set up round 3 of Dai Ryder vs Man City (Europa League,Champions League and now Club World Cup!) :lol:

2023 Transfers - Didn't really do much in the transfer markets as I didn't want to disrupt the team too much.Vasquez and Godoy were foreigners and we had too many so let them go to get the numbers down.Bahia,Dudu and Lorran were getting on a bit and were not going to be considered for backup.Everton left on loan to help gain first team experience.Fabio was nothing more then a headache as he did nothing but whine about not getting first team football and wasn't really that good compared to what we had!Only bought in three players as they are all youngsters who all have a bright future.I am pretty convinced each one will go onto represent Brazil at some point in the future.

Competitions

Petrobras Serie A - League Table - This was easier then expected even with players missing at important times.We managed to win the league with a the same point margin then last season as well as score more goals and points this season.We threw away stupid points most of the time we dropped some otherwise we could have performed better.The only game we deserved to be well and truly beaten was against Portuguesa as we lost 3-0.This title victory was Sao Paulo's 10th top flight victory.We did drop a few points around middle of July as were missing players due to the Copa America,u20 World Cup and injuries.The injuries were up front so we had to field two youngsters who did the job and secured more points then we lost.

Copa Libertadores - Winners - We eased through a group which contained Boca,Barcelona (Ecu) and Union Espanola with a record of 5-0-1 and scored 21 goals in those 6 games.The 2nd round saw us face Argentinian side San Lorenzo,I was expecting more of a challenge off them but they didn't really threaten as we won 6-0 on agg.The quarter final saw another Brazil vs Argentina game as we were drawn against Lanus.We blew a two goal lead in the first leg as we drew 2-2,the same mistakes were not made in the second leg as we won 3-1 giving us a 5-3 victory.It was an all Brazilian affair in the semi-finals as we faced Internacional,we didn't take our chances in the first leg and lost 1-0 in a scrappy affair.Again we were much better in the 2nd leg and won 2-0 in a game where we could have scored five or six if we finished our chances.The final saw us against Mexican side America (Mex),we effectively killed the game off in the 1st leg with a 3-0 win,the 2nd leg I decided to field some of our better youngsters,they managed to match them but America's finishing was better and won the 2nd leg 1-0 which wasn't enough as we won the tie 3-1!

Club World Cup - Winners - Easily beat Zamalek 4-0 in the semi-final whereas Man City needed a penalty shootout to beat Chinese side Shenhua.The final,we managed to match them blow for blow but due to an unfortunate own goal and a equalizer,we end normal time on even terms which was a fair result after 90 minutes.Extra time saw us lose a bit of steam but managed to keep City out somehow to take the game to penalties.We held our nerve to win the penalty shootout to clinch Sao Paulo's first Club World Cup since 2005!

Campeonato Paulista - League - Quarter-Final - Semi-Final - Final - Wasn't even that challenging,we dominated all the teams we played even in the game we drew which turned out to be one of those days.Not too bothered by the goals conceded as my tactics are more based on attack so I will go out to score more then the opposition.Although,during the four extra games,we didn't actually concede a goal so it was brilliant performances at both ends of the pitch.This win was São Paulo's 25th Paulista title and only need 5 more for the all time record!

Players,Stats and Awards

Quick look at Player Stats

Pedro Paulo was the top scorer hitting 24 goals in 46 appearances.He probably would have had more if it wasn't for nearly four months worth of injuries during the season so was a brilliant return from the 29 year old.Hasn't been a well known goal scorer except for the odd season at Sao Paulo and a loan spell in Chile so did very well this season.His goal scoring tally includes a brilliant hat-trick against Zamalek in the Club World Cup semi-final.

Andres Sierra topped the assist chart with an impressive 26 and also scored 11 goals as he went on to pick up Bolade Ouro.Only played 51 games out of a possible 63 due to Copa America commitments with Colombia but he was brilliant when he was with the club.Has attracted attention from Italy and turned down a £21.5 million bid from Chelsea for him!

Goncalves won Melhor meia.He was our first choice AMR this season and performed brilliantly.He scored 8 and provided 14 assists so was a good season off him.Was a very handy player due to his versatility did play in AML when Lucas Moura was injured towards the end of the season.

Fabio won Revelacao do Brasileirao,for me it was brilliant having a backup of Fabio's quality.He produced the goods when he needed to,contributed with 14 goals and 11 assists this season in his major breakthrough season.

Special mentions to Lucas Moura and Ruben Rojas.They both performed brilliantly but were just outshone by a couple of others.Lucas Moura contributed with 15 goals and 15 assists,was pretty much unstoppable during the State Championship but suffered an injury during the league campaign and wasn't the same towards the end.He is 31 and not showing any signs of decline so still could have plenty of fuel left in the tank.Ruben Rojas could have had a much more impact if it wasn't for the 3 month injury from a torn hamstring he suffered while at the Copa America.Even so he still managed to hit 22 goals as well as 12 assists in 38 games so no real complaints off me there.

Overview

This is was a pretty easy season other then the Man City game in the Club World Cup.Do I feel satisfied with winning a clean sweep...not really,this season proved nothing for me as we were easily the better side even when we had players missing due to the Copa America and the u20 World Cup so we had eleven players missing at once due to the end of the Copa and the start of the u20 World Cup.In 63 games,we scored 152 goals and conceded 37 so we were pretty dominant,the games we did throw away points in were our own fault.With regards to the Copa Libertadores,it has become pretty unpredictable as anyone can beat anyone so most definitely a competition to keep an eye out for in the future!

My future is not at Sao Paulo,I will be resigning on the 1/1/24.My next job will be in North America,South Africa or Asia as these should me more of a challenge for me and I want to prove myself.These three are my first choices as they are the continents which I've not won a Champions League in.I did land on my feet getting a job at Sao Paulo and I have set them up for the future by getting in youngsters as well as sorting their foreign limit out so they will be able to move forward in the future.I did have a chance of moving back to Europe and Germany but I decided to reject the Borussia Dortmund offer.

Season     Club         Division       Country      League       Cup       Continental    Avg.Att            Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12  Persepam    Prem Division    Indonesia      2nd       1st Rnd        N/A           739            Promotion!
2012/13  Persepam    Super League     Indonesia      4th       4th Rnd        N/A          1400           Top 4 Finish!
2013/14  Dag + Red    BSB Premier      England       4th       2nd Rnd        N/A          2040        Started Oct,Promoted!
2014/15  Dag + Red     League 2        England       8th       6th Rnd        N/A          3742          FA Cup Last 8
2015/16  Dag + Red     League 2        England       1st       6th Rnd        N/A          3778            Promotion!
2016/17  Dag + Red     League 1        England       4th       4th Rnd        N/A          5828          Playoff Winners!
2017/18  RB Leipzig  3.fußball liga    Germany       1st         N/A          N/A          7899            Promotion!
2018/19  RB Leipzig   2.Bundesliga     Germany       1st       1st Rnd        N/A          13209        Title + Promotion!
2019/20  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       3rd      RUNNER-UP       N/A          21573        CL Qualification!
2020/21  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       2nd       WINNERS       GS/RU         27012        DFB-POKAL winners!
2021/22  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       1st       WINNERS      WINNERS        36664           Won Treble!
2022     Sao Paulo      Serie A        Brazil        1st         N/A         Group         58710           Won Double!
2023     Sao Paulo      Serie A        Brazil        1st         N/A        WINNERS        57771          Clean Sweep!

iheadhunta x - Thanks :D Not even sure that it is possible to win the cup if you compete in the Copa Libertadores.

deltablue - It just didn't feel right for me,things were basically in place so couldn't really do much!

SRL88 - Thanks :D There is a job going in one of the three continents I wanted to manage in so I've applied so it's a case of wait and see!

Not really much to say,we will be competing in the MLS Western Conference,MLS Cup and the CONCACAF Champions League.The Champions League is already under progress but we have a really difficult quarter final draw as we are against America (Mex).

The Team.....What Team?

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/ColoradoRapidsSquad_Players.png[/img]"]ColoradoRapidsSquad_Players.png

Overview

Not really much to say as it is early days.We need a new assistant manager and we also have the drafts coming up so I won't really be able to comment about how we will fair till the start of March.The players we have got seem to be very good for MLS level but we have no real backup,will need to replace a couple of players due to them getting a bit older,most notably Freddy Adu who is only 34 years old!

As for the CONCACAF Champions League,I'm not really holding my breath as America (Mex) are a really good side who I beat in the Copa Libertadores final with a much stronger Sao Paulo team.All I can say is that this will certainly be interesting.

roganp - Thanks! :D We will see,this is what I get for taking the fearless approach....if it goes wrong then there is always Australia!

SRL88 - Think I might have that copy of FM lying around somewhere when he was dubbed the next best thing :lol:

HotChocolate - Now now,he still young and has plenty of time to make.I mean he must be setting the MLS alight at Philadelphia right :p

AK22 - Thanks :D MLS is definitely a 1st for me.I just hope I can pick up some decent players to give the team a bit of meat!

Finances and Budgets

Finances - £731,623

Allocation Funds - £356,000 - £327,000 remaining

Salary Cap - £55,879 - Currently Spending £37,267

2024 Pre-Season Transfers - I had nothing to do with those who left the club.Those who came in,I was not responsible for the first three but whoever bought them in deserves a pat on the back!Lopez,Torres and Rojas all came in via drafts.The last four on the list were players I scouted originally at Sao Paulo so knew about them.They are all hot prospects but with having restrictions in the squad,they may get some game time.

Expectations - My expectations in italics

MLS - Reach the Conference Final - Think that is a fair expectation

CONCACAF Champions League - Reach the Semi-Final - The board won't judge me but don't see us having the quality to beat America (Mex)

US Open Cup - Don't Care - I'm going to try and win it as it is silverware

Pre-Season Fixtures

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/ColoradoRapidsFixtures_Fixtures.png[/img]"]ColoradoRapidsFixtures_Fixtures.png

Key Players

Youssou Badji - DC - First choice DC at the club,his contract is running out which is a concern but have offered him a new one till 2027.A very determined individual who is very rarely loses when it comes to aerial challenges.Rated at 4* CA so definitely one of the best players at the club.Interesting fact is Badji is the tallest player at the club!

Walter Segovia - DR - The oldest of our Bolivian contingent at the club at 25.Will be played at DR but can play in other positions so may be useful to switch around during games.Seems to be a consistent performer,from looking at him in pre-season,he seems to be able to time challenges just right which is a plus.Still has a bit of room to improve but is regarded as one of the best with a rating of 3.5*.

Sergey Baha - DM/MC - I don't normally choose a DM but I've changed my formation to play one as he is the best DM at the club and one of the best players at 4*.Has a high workrate which is useful as he won't give anything up.Played four of the pre-seasons in DM and played them solidly,he is a player who won't take many plaudits but will do his job to the best of his ability.

Freddy Adu - MR,AMC,AMRL - A guy who was once dubbed the next big thing,now 34 and has had a pretty average time in the MLS.He has been a lot better here then he has at Philadelphia,even at 34 he is one of the better player at the club.Can play in any attacking and midfield position so he will be a very useful players when it comes to mix things up during games.May try to get him on a player/coach role if it's possible.

Fernando Frontini - AMC/ST - Undoubtedly the best player at the club and will be the main goal threat for the team.Didn't really play much during pre-season as he suffered an injury so not expecting him to set the world alight straight away.Scored 27 goals in 38 appearances last season and I will be delighted if he could do the same again.Has 127 goals in 221 games during his career so is a regular goal scorer but has been scoring more in USA then he did in Argentina.

One to Watch

Abdiel Lopez - MC - Was the main draftee this season coming to the club in the main draft.Was the biggest talent to come out of it,I only got him in the draft and it got me a B-.He is rated at 2.5* for CA but has a PA of 5* so definitely be running midfields in the MLS in the future.

Overview

Well it was certainly an interesting pre-season considering we started off with literally nothing and no assistant manager to begin with.Didn't really do much in the drafts but the three we got in during the drafts are all good prospects.Also used my scouting from my time at Sao Paulo to help bring in players to fill in the international spots.I am not expecting to walk everything straight away but give it a couple of seasons and if it I can keep all the youngsters together then there will be no reason why Colorado cannot become one of the biggest teams in the MLS.

I've got a contract till 2027 and will see that through as this will be more challenging then managing Sao Paulo,especially with all the restrictions on what players we can have.We can only register 30 players but have 21 registered at the moment,I could do with another GK and a DR then we should be set due to the versatility of other players in the team.

Great career so far B.W.G. :thup:

I spent some time in the MLS with Toronto on my FM10 journeyman save and it was a good few years. Even though the league system is wierd, it was a good challenge.And you've gotta love playing in a stadium with that name. :D

Part of me is looking forward to it and the other part of me is dreading it in case I flop!I just love the names of some of the Stadiums in the MLS,I think another memorable one is Pizza Hut Park :lol:

I've played my 1st competitive game with Colorado and drew 0-0 with America (Mex) in the first leg of the quarter-finals in the CONCACAF Champions League final,the second leg will be played at ours so hopefully having home advantage will help us.

2nd leg played,was a scrappy game in which I am surprised that there was only one card considering there were 26 fouls in the game!

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/ColoradovAmricaMEXInformation_Overview.png[/img]"]ColoradovAmricaMEXInformation_Overview.png

Our reward,a tie with Mexican side Chivas in the semis.The other tie is CONCACAF Champions League holders Tigres against Guatemala side Comunicaciones!

HotChocolate - Thanks :D The skin is Steklo-X2.

AK22 - It is indeed,I've got it all to do in the 2nd leg as we lost 1-0 in the first leg but we do have home advantage again in the 2nd leg.

City2000 - Thanks :D Wouldn't say I did a great job,it was pretty straight forward stuff.From what I've seen of our team in the MLS,think I'll need a lot of luck :lol:

SRL88 - Thanks :D

abulezz - Frontini is class but isn't showing it at the moment,getting his morale up is proving to be a problem!I agree,my only problem is that I've not actually had a chance to play him due to qualifiers for the Olympics,the qualifiers are over and he still hasn't come back!

Not happening,poor finishing in both legs cost us as we lost 1-0 on agg.The inconsistency is frustrating me,we can beat Chicago 4-1 then can't even score 1 goal from 13 shots in the next match :(

Competitions

MLS

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-1.png[/img]"]MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-1.png

CONCACAF Champions League - Semi-Final - When I took over,we had already booked a place in the quarter final where we would face America (Mex).The first leg produced a boring 0-0 before we won 1-0 in the 2nd leg to book a place in the semi-final.We under performed in both legs of the semi-final as we crashed out 1-0 on agg.Chivas would go on to win the Champions League on away goals.

US Open Cup - Not played a game yet,we go straight into the 3rd round where we will face Rochester Rhinos.

Overview

Take out our form from the Champions League,it has been a pretty excellent season.The team has finally gelled to tactics and have been able to find the net regularly.Frontini has been on fire so far,he has scored 15 times in 20 appearances in which he scored 14 goals in 16 appearances.We should make it into the playoffs if we can continue this form but can't take anything for granted and we still need to face Chivas (USA) twice.The youngsters are starting to improve which is good for the future so we should be able to match the Mexican big boys in the CONCACAF Champions League,this time I hope we can put up a better performance and eventually reach the final of it.

AK22 - Thanks :D We should do as we sit 2nd in the playoff table as we are 1 point behind New York Redbulls but we've played 3 fewer games then them so we should claim first.

HotChocolate - Only a bit,we seemed to have slowed down in the 2nd half of the season as we are drawing and losing games we should be winning!

US Open Cup - Don't Care - I'm going to try and win it as it is silverware

Plus the fed usually selects the Cup winner as one of its 4 representatives to the Champions League. :thup:

Always found it odd that MLS sides tend to de-emphasize it, even though it's been a ticket to continental competition. Red Bulls rather infamously punted on the cup quarterfinal last year, even though it was really their only shot at silverware. http://www.thevipersnest.com/2011/07/red-bulls-embarrass-themselves-in-us.html

Cup winners get a Champions League spot! I'm liking the sound of that :D

Well played to SI then,the MLS do the same in game.The US Open Cup semi finals are Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs Richmond Kickers and Colorado vs Minnesota Stars.As for Red Bulls,they reap what they sow,I can't stand sides who would actually put out the equivalent to a C team in the cup but that's more down to me liking cup competitions.

Archived