*OFFICIAL* Football Manager 2012 Feedback and Discussion Thread

So finally start my first game, set up the team, tactics, fixtures, transfer targets and finally training.

Now I go setup training schedules for each position and I run into the same issue I run into every year. Naming the schedule, you are limited to 15 characters. Which is a complete pain in the backside. I'm trying to set up my Target Man schedule, so I'd label it something like:-

'ST - Target Man - Attack'

Position - Role - Duty

Obviously that's too long, so I have to reduce it to short hand, and after making around 11+ schedules, I end up with a list of jargon.

Any chance of increasing the length of Training Schedule names, for the sake of my sanity? Thanks.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello - Can anyone advise me how to create a desktop shortcut for my Mac?

I see on the Q&A section it say's right click, of course does not work for the Mac, assume that is for PC.

Thanks in advance.

Right click does work on Mac's. Go into "System Preferences" then "Mouse" then under "Point & Click" go to the second option "Secondary Click", tick the box and then with the arrow select "Click on right side".

Or for the "Track Pad" go to "Point & Click" go to the second option "Secondary Click", tick the box and then with the arrow select "Click on bottom right corner" (or which ever position you prefer).

scouting is still missing obvious things like being able to ask how good someone would be at other positions like a st who could also play amr and the ability to see the potential on a standard scale that applies across all leagues as well as how good they are for my league.

Right click does work on Mac's. Go into "System Preferences" then "Mouse" then under "Point & Click" go to the second option "Secondary Click", tick the box and then with the arrow select "Click on right side".

Or for the "Track Pad" go to "Point & Click" go to the second option "Secondary Click", tick the box and then with the arrow select "Click on bottom right corner" (or which ever position you prefer).

Thank you very much, never knew this :p

Best FM yet <3 changes to team-talks are brilliant, and the overall polish is great

Had no issues pre-loading with GreenManGaming, they get the vote for best UK D2D site from me for price and promptnessulence

Running every nation and most leagues (130,000+ players in database lol) on my 2500k and it's faster than 09 was on my mac mini with only a couple dozen dozen leagues :) even so, this might be the game that finally makes me run my 4.5GHz OC 24/7

Is GPU accelleration a possibility for FM games in future?

Questions:

Auto-accepted two offers for Stuart Cambell on 13.10.11, but they never registered in the Transfer Centre, which I thought might be a bug? Stuart never made any comment re: leaving and didn't sign or reject any contracts. Eventually the transfer window closed and the deal was cancelled. That's a possiblity fo sho, but the non-appearance in the Transfer Centre made me suspicious.

I saw there were teams interested in Robert Anyisah and Matt Gill, but when I offered them out, even on free transfers, noone made an offer, despite managers having declared their interest Anyisah. Is that a bit odd to anyone else?

Coaches with local reputaions refusing to enter contract negotiations with Bristol Rovers - isn't local about right for a League Two promotion contender? of the six new coaches I brought in, three are regionals, but local rep English speaking coaches would just refuse to speak to meon occassion - any reason?

Backroom Staff wages are a bit odd - an extreme example: found a scout with great (for league two) coaching stats for tactics, so opened contract negotiations. He asked for £250 p/w (or maybe £275) to join as a scout, when I suggested coach he wanted over a grand and wouldn't budge. I was like lolwut :confused:

This kind of thing happened repeatedly - yth coaches asking for £300 or less to become a youth coach would not go below £600 (or more) to contract as a coach. Since the Gas have a limit of £575 for staff that got annoying fast.

I can't see why a guy who'll happily work for £300 p/w would suddenly demand more than double for a slightly different role, unless it's the difference between full- and part-time employment? is it?

If someone creates a skin, will they be able to return the Senior, Reserve and Under XX squads to having their own buttons? I'm finding the drop-down thing a fiddly pointlessness - it slows me down for no benefit :/

Is there any way to increase the text size? I like to sit around five or six feet away for everything except FPS games and on a 24" 1080p monitor the text is painfully small; it's preventing me getting into long sessions.

Any way to set the attribute spider-graph to display on players' overview screens? or could that be included in a custom skin? I like to have a good root around in the full stats, but that lil thing saves time when you're dredging for free transfers.

Can the goalkeeper training issue be fixed in a way that lets us continue with ongoing campaigns?

i had some others, but I forget and that's enough to be getting along with :p

[Can the goalkeeper training issue be fixed in a way that lets us continue with ongoing campaigns?/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the absence of positioning from the gk training schedule. Of course your keepers can still play - and train. If you give them POS in individual player training, you're sorted. The problem is with the AI keepers who wont develop POS, not yours.

[Can the goalkeeper training issue be fixed in a way that lets us continue with ongoing campaigns?/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the absence of positioning from the gk training schedule. Of course your keepers can still play - and train. If you give them POS in individual player training, you're sorted. The problem is with the AI keepers who wont develop POS, not yours.

Surely that's a major issue and will quickly make the game unplayable, as every goalkeeper except yours could lose up to 3 Positioning attribute points each year!

Right. I was told that we dont have to use the internet in order to play FM but only on a one term basis when installing. Know whenever i go on start offline mode it never lets me play the game and says error. Ive got the 3 internet stick and i cant afford to keep that running because it takes up alot of megspeeds. What do i do?

Good find and in addition to this, I've holidayed through some games to see the development of certain players and what I notice is that off the ball movement hasn't changed for most offensive midfielders and wingers. In some cases it's even gone down, while the rest of the attributes have gone up. Very worried about that. :thdn:

so i have played 18 months now with spurs, and the main thing im shocked about is wayne rooney. he is awesome irl, but in my game he is a god unlike any other. in the pl he has now played 56 games with 64 goals and on the national team he has 20 goals in 18 games. has anyone else seen him rock the show like that ?

On my player profile is just displays it as 2700000

No £, no comma.

I read about that in another thread...IIRC its a known issue and I think theres a solution...I'll try and find it

I had a good look and whilst I find a few posts that had the same question I couldnt find the SI response that I'd definitely seen before telling you how to fix it. Sorry!!

Issues I am having:

-Keeps awarding my goalkeeper own goals when he has just failed to keep a ball out. A palm to save a shot that is ineffective should not award you a goal.

-Australian A-league issue: won't let me offer higher wages then 1,500 pounds. I have 17,000 under my wage budget and there is no restrictions specifically for this issue.

-Another AA issue: Clubs are not registering all their players. They are running with small squads and using under age players in lieu of standard decent players.

They are the three things at the moment annoying me.

The person with the worst opinion of me in the world was my star centre midfielder. He was one of my best in season one, and in season two got a huge injury and said he would retire at the end of the season. I asked him to reconsider and he respectfully declined. Why does he hate me now?

I will risk to post it here because my thread are closed :)

"I bought it in Russia a license key to the game and there is no English language (more than 9 years, I only play in the English version. Why would insert into the officially bought game at least 2 languages ​​- the local and international? One language - it's not quite right :( I'm not going to buy a second version for the English language "

There is any chance to install English to my "Football Manager 2012 Russian"?

• SI Staff
I'm getting journalists' names substituted for manager's names in headline when I play in MLS.

For example, when I defended Frank Yallop to journalist Ben Amman, I got a headline of "Jason defends under-fire Amman."

Can you log that in the translation issues subforum, the variable order must have got messed up when the string got americanised.

I will risk to post it here because my thread are closed :)

"I bought it in Russia a license key to the game and there is no English language (more than 9 years, I only play in the English version. Why would insert into the officially bought game at least 2 languages ​​- the local and international? One language - it's not quite right :( I'm not going to buy a second version for the English language "

There is any chance to install English to my "Football Manager 2012 Russian"?

Unfortunately the Russian version is Russian language only (there are good commercial reasons for that) an English language file wouldn't work with the Russian version even if you inserted one.

Unfortunately the Russian version is Russian language only (there are good commercial reasons for that) an English language file wouldn't work with the Russian version even if you inserted one.

too bad. Many people in CIS countries are disappointed with that issue. English language for FM are very popular there. So i don't know what commercial reasons stand behind this decision, but in forums i see only disappointment and negative comments. Two languages would be perceived with a great pleasure

Had no issues with steam and installing the game.Having played CM/FM from the start i have to to say i've had a few issues with recent Fm's where i really haven't enjoyed them but FM12 is a return to all thats good about football management,brilliant game,thanks SI.

Okay, here's my feedback after my first 6 months.

* Tutorial: I wanted the achievement so went trough them all, and found it wasn't a totally bad idea as the UI has change a lot this year. Well I guess it's good that it's there and gives you and overview, but the amount of texts to read is insane. If I where a new player the tutorial allow would keep me away. And why are there no back button? If I press next to fast and miss something I have to take the whole tutorial again, bloody annoying. The text box is also really small, making it even more tiresome to read all that text.

* UI: The good I'm having a little trouble right now finding everything, my guess is that I just have to get use to the new layout. I'm not finding it any faster to navigate, but again it's properly just a matter of time.

* Contracts: Right now I'm playing it a small Brazilian 3rd Division team, and we have no money. We are a little over the wage budget, this means that 80% of my team won't sign a new contact as I can't match their current wages. I don't want so sign all of them (need to cut the useless players), but would much like to sign with the star players and the player that the club/board values above anything else. I would think that a club would find the money to sign the most valued player in the club, but apparently the game makes no exception to want player to are trying to sign.

It's great with the new lock system, but damn they will find a lot of clauses to "steal" money away from you :)

* ME: Well it looks better than the old one, and great with the new animations. But it's not perfect, as it lags a bit on my machine if the match speed i to high and the players can run though each other. A goalkeeper can save the ball while he is getting up or even laying down (looked weird for sure). Players really likes to walk towards the ball, instead of running and defenders still make braid dead moves e.g. stand totally still while attackers run pas them or without warning runs out of the defensive area leave a man open.

Don't know if this is the ME or tactic part, but found it weird with my Brazilian team that the first 8 matches they played divine, but at the second stage they couldn't make a pass to a player standing 2 feet away from them. Making it a pain to watch as for some reason my tactic went from pole position to dead last. And my defence a goalkeeper had been a wall for the first 8 games, letting only 2 goals in - now they couldn't stop anything. If I have to build a new tactic every 8 or so matches, it's going to get pretty tiresome :)

* Tactic: The new layout is actually pretty good, and I can get stuff done pretty fast and as of yet I haven't found anything that annoyed me.

* Add/remove leagues: This was the main reason for me to buy the game. Well it works, but it's not as marvellous as I had hoped. I can some what understand that a new league can't just be added on the fly, but waiting over a year is pretty long. But removing a league I don't understand why it has to take that long - it kills the whole idea that I had with it. Add as many leagues as possible and see what club want's a unknown manager. I think the least the game could to would be to stop all news info from the league, I still get news posts about managers struggling and other annoying updates for leagues that have been set to be removed for months now.

* Random annoys: The fact that my Backroom staff still tells me to sign coaches, scouts etc. that are way out of my wage limits is still annoying. That staff answering adverts are not interested in that position, a youth coach (almost always a youth coach) answering to a fitness coach position. That I can't get a "scout report" on staff, in the sense of what have they done and what can I expect of the coach (e.g. is he loyal, how would he do in this position, want does the previous club say about him, etc. or something like that), right now I just hope that he is a great person.

The new way training report is shown. Before you would get a nice little list of the good and bad, now it's just a long text string - making harder to get a overview. Telling a person that they aren't pulling their weight in training, before you would tell them do better and most would agree. As of now I haven't had one person agree with me that he didn't do a good job in training - even when the staff tells me he is lacy.

The conversation system as a whole, not that big of a fan. It might just be me, but can't seem to get why the saying one thing in team talk makes them happy and motivated one match but stressed and angry another.

That I can't tell or fine a player that goes to the press and talks negative about me, like that I gave a horrible team talk. I should be able to discipline/talk to him for talking to the press and not me in person.

Why doesn't the players even come to you for a chat, when they have a problem? Why can't I explain to my players that we are a little tight on cash right now, but I value them and really want them to stay with the team in trouble times?

The press meetings are a boring as ever, get asked one question and can answer something completely different. Or can't answer in a logical way, e.g. like "you can speak Italian, is that a problem" no way to say that you are learning - what I personally would do, to shown how important I see the job and language.

Properly more, but can't remember right now :)

As a general I like the game, but I'm still in the phase where everything is new and I just need to play one more match before doing something important :)

- Sorry for the long post and my bad english. And fun thing, I could only have 4 smilies in my post (wanted one here also)

BTW, I like the new player reports where your coaches/scouts will tell you a player "plays best as a defensive midfielder in a deep-lying playmaker role" or any of the other possibilities. Really helps clarify whether a player will fit your system.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned before, but why are Benfica and FC Porto's name been abbreviated? For example Benfica are SLB and Porto are FCP. Is it because SI have lost the naming rights to those clubs? If so I hope they dont lose anymore in the future, because if that starts to happen this game will be going down the slippery road to shitness.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned before, but why are Benfica and FC Porto's name been abbreviated? For example Benfica are SLB and Porto are FCP. Is it because SI have lost the naming rights to those clubs? If so I hope they dont lose anymore in the future, because if that starts to happen this game will be going down the slippery road to shitness.

Yep, this is right unfortunately.

Just noticed a great feature - if you have the Team Ratings widget open during a match, there's a little "i" icon next to each player's name. If you hover the mouse over that "i", you get a box appearing with that players attributes and other key information. Fantastic.

I have to say, this seems to be the best iteration of FM for many years. And what's noticeable is that there aren't the multitude of "my game's broken because XYZ" threads this year, and numerous "When's the patch to fix <insert random bug> coming out" threads being started.

*cough* editor *cough*

Feedback on one evenings playing:

Good

1) new search format is great

2) new teamtalk player feedback is great

Bad

1) when you plan more than one tactic it keeps

Putting players out of position. Eg if I want

a player up front in one formation but right wing

in the second it switches him to right wing in

the starting tactic.

Ps, the pre-load via steam was great

Is it possible to purchase more than one version of the game?

>>> Do you need a separate steam account?

As an example, a father gets one for each of their sons in addition to one for himself. The odds are high that they would like to play at the same time, on different laptops.

You'll need different Steam accounts.

About to play the first game of the second season, I haven't held a team meeting all pre-season and went to do one before the first game. I got the following:

"There isn't a suitable reason to hold a team meeting"

Now, if a few days before the first game of the season isn't a good time to hold a team meeting, when is? :|

* Add/remove leagues: This was the main reason for me to buy the game. Well it works, but it's not as marvellous as I had hoped. I can some what understand that a new league can't just be added on the fly, but waiting over a year is pretty long. But removing a league I don't understand why it has to take that long - it kills the whole idea that I had with it. Add as many leagues as possible and see what club want's a unknown manager. I think the least the game could to would be to stop all news info from the league, I still get news posts about managers struggling and other annoying updates for leagues that have been set to be removed for months now.

Hey Kegus, thanks for your feedback. On this point above - you shouldn't ever be waiting longer than a year for a league to be added or removed as the change happens on that nations 'season update' day (ergo one year would be the absolute maximum wait time). Which leagues did you add that took so long to appear?

Any issues you have that you perceive as bugs, please post over in the bugs forums and our team will make sure they're looked into.

Anyone notice how you always seem to draw a team in the cup (England) that you've just played?

Played Liverpool. Had them in the next round of the CC.

Played WBA. Had them in the following round of the CC.

Someone else mentioned this too me, so obviously more than just a freaky coincidence.

Overall it looks good, many small news.

But I still miss to able to cancel a substitute, and be able to offer all the remaining budget to one player. It is irritating that you can have 3 million (SEK, about 300 000 pound) left on the budget but you can only offer 300 000 (SEK, 30 000 pound) to one player. If I want to offer the whole remaining budget to one player I should be able to do that, what else is the budget good for? I dont want to buy 20 mediocre player, I rather want 2-3 really good ones.

Archived