*OFFICIAL* Football Manager 2012 Feedback and Discussion Thread

Hello,

I'm not sure you know it yet but there is a bug in the French League (maybe it's also true for other leagues but I can't be sure of it). At the first official Ligue 1 game, all the teams play with youth players though the other players are available.

I hope this will be corrected in next patch because it is definitely not realistic :(

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the new transfer interface. Being able to use the tabs on the left to switch between players, and the ability to see multiple deals for each player is great.

I would like to be able to see all players' deals in the ALL view (maybe with a select, then shift +select, or control +select), rather than just one player's deals at a time. Thx.

BTW, the interface improvements are off the charts. I absolutely love the new squad interface. The drop down menu for reserves and youth squad access is inspired. The i roll over for player attributes is amazing. Being able to use the tabs and the tab sub-menus in one click is fantastic. And the new tactics interface is awesome. When I clicked on the familiarity bar the first time and saw the tactic levels pop up, I learned the true meaning of brilliant!

haven't got an actual game going yet, just bought the download version. given that i can be a bit... wordy at times, i've bolded key points in hopes that one of you SI staffers will skim this and answer certain questions..

i was going to wait for the Thai version as it'd cost half as much (and i'm fully entitled to buy it since i live in Thailand) but i was worried, based on what i've read about the Russian version, that it might actually be in Thai instead of English this time. also, i didn't have a particularly compelling save going in FM11 (started late, was playing FML until its premature death) and the load/unload leagues feature is extremely compelling to me, so i figured i'd get started. that, and i've got some down time at the moment (my part of Bangkok is not yet flooded but my job is shut down for now). first impression is it's well worth the extra money just to get it a little early, even if the Thai version's identical. i'm still curious about what the thai version will be like though.

short version, question #1: will the Thai version be in Thai, and if yes does that mean Thai-only?

first impression of interface is that while it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary it's a very big improvement. really love the interface so far but with one small problem, when i drag players onto setpiece duties they don't always drop, even though the little triangle is lit. am i doing something wrong or should i report this in the bug forum?

some big improvements to game play (many of which, i'm pleased, were adopted from FML like the touchline shout system) and emphasis on roles. FML in its short life did a LOT for the ME in that people playing head-to-head are FAR more likely to point out inconsistencies (especially exploitable ones). i expect the ME to be the best ever, albeit still rife with inconsistencies, still unable to model fluid positioning systems (totaalvoetbal style stuff) and i expect defenders to still make incredibly ******** decisions. that said, especially in 3d, it does look like football, and does (to my eye) at least relate to real-world tactics. i used to adjust my tactics in FML according to what i read on Zonal Marking rather than FM fora, and that worked out extremely well for me, so i do believe that while far from perfect it's the best thing out there for tactical simulation.

one concern i'd like to raise that i haven't seen yet but has been a problem with EVERY version of FM since CM: teams make unnatural decisions. in real life Ajax are underachieving under Ajax old boy Frank de Boer, but in my FM11 save they fired him and replaced him with... Roy Keane? i'd really be much happier if teams respected their own traditions more... i don't want to see Ajax playing a flat, English 442 or United suddenly hiring Pep and going all tiki-taka...

one other long-standing concern that affects mainly the world in the background: international competitions tend to produce weird results. in real life world cup surprises are smallish and rare (oh it's Spain instead of Brazil or Italy for the 200th time! wow! in my FM saves it tends to be ... just weird. Mali get on a run of form and dominate the world cup. this unrealistic arbitrariness in the background pretty much shatters the immersive/role playing illusion aspect of the game for me.

other than points raised this version's made it well worth coming back to FM even though i'm still far from gruntled after the demise of FML...

1. I have a strong dislike for the new Profile page as most of the information there could easily be displayed without having to change the modules. They can be shown here.

2. The team meetings need to seriously be improved. Some of them are just ridiculous. Plus, I would like to be able to hold them more frequently.

3. Need a better board interactions system. Currently, it is just you asking for something and hoping the board gets along with it. It would be nice to be able to show what type of board your club has, how willing they are to grant which types of requests, etc.

4. I would like more information readily available in press conferences. If I get asked about a potential signing, I wish I would see his position, age, and club. Same goes for managers.

5. Wish I could edit the preset training schedule.

6. My preferred tactics in my manager profile is completely off. I have a 3-1-3-1-2, not a ****ing 5-3-2. My mentality and such is also completely wrong.

7. I hate how I can mass edit all the mentalities, cross aims, long shots, etc. in the tactics anymore. Why did you guys remove it? Does it really harm anyone?

8. I wish I had the ability to edit scouting assignments. I would like to filter what he searches for if he is already in the country. I'm shocked it hasn't been added.

9. Players are valued too high?

10. I would like my entire staff to compile a list of players that would add team depth. For example, my defensive coach would recommend me a good defender. My Assistant Manager, however, would recommend me the type of player I need most.

Game is good overall. If I were to list every feature I LOVE, it would take me hours, so I'll just stick to this. Anyway, those are my two cents. I realize that about 5-6 of them are impossible to add into the game now.

No matter what I do the update will not install! I have reinstalled, both steam and the game, I have followed everything that is written but it won't update. I hate steam, as it's also causing issues with my computer, and if Sega doesn't learn from all the complaints then this will be the last time I buy the game and given I have never once written a complaint or had a complaint about the game, says a lot.

game hasn't updated via Steam auto-update is on, but gamer version still 12.0.2, anyone got any suggestions

Restart Steam.

If any one from SI is viewing this thread, could you please tell me how far you are from a fix to the graphics card conflict crashes?

7. I hate how I can mass edit all the mentalities, cross aims, long shots, etc. in the tactics anymore. Why did you guys remove it? Does it really harm anyone?

You can still do this. Go on team tactical overview and use the view to select whatever part of the tactic you want. Make sure you have a team picked.

Match Engine is a real mess. These are the most annoying things:

1. Long shots are uselles. I mean completely useless. No matter how high player's long shots ability, he wont hit the target 9/10 times. This is really, really annoying.

2. Sudden long balls. Sometimes, when you're in possesion, players with bad passing (GK, centrebacks, fullbacks or anchorman) will start lauching long balls to the strikers or wingers even when they're on the low creative freedom and short passing. That's a waste of possesion.

3. After the opposition's team goal kick, my DMC heads the ball very hard forward and my striker goes 1 on 1 with the keeper in the result of it. This is really often and completely unrealistic thing.

4. After a cornerkick, when the opposition heads the ball away, my player collects it near the penalty box and almost immediately gives the ball back to cornerkick taker who's still in offside. This happens about 7 out of 10 times.

5. Too many goals from corners even on the default settings. Well, you know there were some tricks in previous versions of FM to make your team score from corners a lot but it seems like this year SI decided to help everyone and make it happen without a need to change anything. Come on, both of my defenders having ~15 goals in the season is really dull.

6. Most of the goals scored after a throw-in, freekick or the counter-attack, goals scored directly from the game when your team passes the ball around must be more common than those described above.

7. It seems like it is sometimes scripted for your team to lose. There will be lots of shots hitting the bar or not hitting the target. You can have 15 shots and only one of them will be on target!

8. One on ones also still need to be fixed. Even my ice cold killa Falcao fails to score them fairly often.

And some other annoying things:

1. Sometimes player's reactions in the private chat are so dull. When I say to Falcao (2 goals, 8.7) that he was great at scoring, he says he doesn't think he was so good. Silly.

2. When you switch to some other program during the match, the match automatically stops and resumes only when you switch back. It must be an option, not by default like it is now. I mean, FM really takes a lot of time, and with this thing it takes a lot more.

3. I don't like the new tactical interface when you have to switch to the separate panel to set the individual instructions instead of just clicking on a player's name or his position on the pitch like it was before.

I understand that this year SI was working hard against the piracy and so far they succeed at it but they should have worked on the game too.

1. Sometimes player's reactions in the private chat are so dull. When I say to Falcao (2 goals, 8.7) that he was great at scoring, he says he doesn't think he was so good. Silly.

I've noticed this too. Seems to happen an awful lot. A player plays well so you praise him and he doesn't think he played well, despite being man of the match. Really annoying.

I have a few big gripes about the match engine at the moment:

1. Defenders are terrible at tracking opposition runs. Instead of running diagonally to cut out the wingers' run, they will run parallel to the sideline and completely fail to reach the player before he makes a cross. Sometimes it gets worse and the full back runs away from the winger into a central position, and a centre back will run to the side to cover, all for no apparent reason.

2. Players aren't willing enough to make tackles. It's especially visible when someone cuts in from the wing into the middle - he can sometimes run past several players without anyone even making a challenge.

3. It's actually easier to score from a corner or an indirect free kick than from a one on one.

4. It's been mentioned many times, but the sequence of "goalkeeper kicks the ball out - defender heads it upfield - strikes goes one on one" really does my head in. Especially since goalkeepers now seem to completely ignore distribution settings and just punt it upfield despite being set to take a quick throw to the nearest defender.

5. Strikers are way too willing to shoot from narrow angles, usually hitting the side netting or the goalkeeper, even if there is a teammate in the middle available for a cross.

The match engine in FM 2011 had its share of problems, but I get the impression that the FM12 engine left all the old bugs in, broke a few things that worked properly in last years' version, and introduced a few brand new problems for good measure. It's a shame, because aside from the match engine I feel the game is much improved over the predecessor, in areas like transfers, media etc.

Match Engine is a real mess. These are the most annoying things:

1. Long shots are uselles. I mean completely useless. No matter how high player's long shots ability, he wont hit the target 9/10 times. This is really, really annoying.

2. Sudden long balls. Sometimes, when you're in possesion, players with bad passing (GK, centrebacks, fullbacks or anchorman) will start lauching long balls to the strikers or wingers even when they're on the low creative freedom and short passing. That's a waste of possesion.

3. After the opposition's team goal kick, my DMC heads the ball very hard forward and my striker goes 1 on 1 with the keeper in the result of it. This is really often and completely unrealistic thing.

4. After a cornerkick, when the opposition heads the ball away, my player collects it near the penalty box and almost immediately gives the ball back to cornerkick taker who's still in offside. This happens about 7 out of 10 times.

5. Too many goals from corners even on the default settings. Well, you know there were some tricks in previous versions of FM to make your team score from corners a lot but it seems like this year SI decided to help everyone and make it happen without a need to change anything. Come on, both of my defenders having ~15 goals in the season is really dull.

6. Most of the goals scored after a throw-in, freekick or the counter-attack, goals scored directly from the game when your team passes the ball around must be more common than those described above.

7. It seems like it is sometimes scripted for your team to lose. There will be lots of shots hitting the bar or not hitting the target. You can have 15 shots and only one of them will be on target!

8. One on ones also still need to be fixed. Even my ice kold killa Falcao fails to score them fairly often.

And some other annoying things:

2. When you switch to some other program during the match, the match automatically stops and resumes only when you switch back. It must be an option, not by default like it is now. I mean, FM really takes a lot of time, and with this thing it takes a lot more.

3. I don't like the new tactical interface when you have to switch to the separate panel to set the individual instructions instead of just clicking on a player's name or his position on the pitch like it was before.

I understand that this year SI was working hard against the piracy and so far they succeed at it but they should have worked on the game too.

+1000 I can add that there are too many injuries comparing to IRL or at least injuries duration is too high.

It's pity that this year there are no improvements in actually football part of the game. New team talk system is good, but match engine and tactics editor are main part of football manager. It seems that match engine isn't improved last years at all. Even world class players sometimes act as silly as IRL semi-pro players never do. There is almost no difference on the pitch between top class footballer and player with CA 100. And there should be a difference and it should be noticeable. AI is very poor and I don't see any enhancements since 2005 or 2006.

Tactics editor also has to be improves, it should offer more tactical options for us. Separate tactics for a team with and without the ball, separate width for every particular line of the team, primary pass direction for every player, ability to more precisely define every player's position on the pitch - all these are very important tactical options which are not implemented in FM or implemented only partly.

You can still do this. Go on team tactical overview and use the view to select whatever part of the tactic you want. Make sure you have a team picked.

No, when you go to the players and click, "Views," there is a list of things you can edit for each player. Go check it out in FM11.

Since this is a feedback threat I'll give my feedback of what I feel so far, being 1½ season into the game.

I got FM2010 as a comparison which I played alot after getting it on a sale and which convinced me that I wanted the newest version (2012) since I figured it should be upgrades all around.

Overall there are alot of improvements to the game and I am pleased with it.

The 3d engine sucks, though.

Yeah, sorry, but that is my honest opinion when copmared to the fm2010 engine.

The graphics are sort of prettier in 2012, but for some reason the engine feels like it's been downgraded compared to 2010. I feel watching matches in 2010 feels more realistic than watching matches in 2012. Players movement and physics feels alot better in 2010 than in 2012. Goalkeepers are especially gruesome for me to look at in 2012, as they look like they are addled on illegal substances while trying to fulfill their duties. Judges make some pretty silly calls from time to time (Offside rulings with opposing players closer to their goal when you play backwards are especially annoying to look at) and the matches sometimes feel like you are watching a pinball ball going around bouncing off objects rather than real players playing a ball around.

Great game, but seriously, why did you have to make the 3d experience worse compared to my 2010 game? I thought the idea of iterations through a series was to improve the experience, not lessen it. Despite the worse graphics, watching a match in fm2010 feels alot closer to the real thing than watching a match in fm2012, and that is just wrong designwise. It's making me skip watching the games more often because it's starting to aggrevate me, and that isn't too good cause I then miss out on the excitement off adapting tactics proper during a game.

So overal a nice job that is let down big time by the poor poor match engine.

Playing Kidderminster in BSP and having a real problem signing staff.

I can only spend a max of £375 per week for staff (includes scouts, coaches and GK coaches) and all of them but the crappiest of the crap want at least £400-525 per week. A bloke with one 9 rating and the rest 1s still wants more than I can afford with an obscure reputation?

Reputation should have more bearing of whether they want to sign otherwise I am gonna end up with staff all with 5s which is regional league quality not BSP in my opinion.

Don't know if this is a bug. But in my first save I could ask all my coaches, incl. my ass-man to help out with instructions on the opponent (the menu be for pre-match team talk). Now in the latest update I'm stuck with my Goalkeeping coach or fitness coach. Why?

Secondly, why is it only sometimes that the ass-man can give both the overall team talk and individual talk?

• Administrators

We have just released the latest update for FM12, 12.0.4, changelist listed below:

-----------------------------

Football Manager 2012 v12.0.4 Changelist

Competitions

============

Australia

---------

- Fixed a bug where the game gets stuck when the user is forced to register a youth player who turned into a pro in the Australian A-League.

Finland

-------

- Fixed issue with player bans not working correctly in the First Division.

General

=======

- Fixed crash when using the "Pick Team For Me" button when all manageable clubs have been taken over by human managers.

- Fixed crash when activating a new division level which has promotion/relegation playoffs with the division above and is made up of regional divisions. (e.g. Third level in Sweden)

- Fixed crash on game startup if a club's loyalty and passion supporter profiles are set to 0 using the editor.

- Game now doesn't allow nations to be deactivated in 2011 before its competitions have finished. This was causing a few problems later in the game.

- Fixed bug where Spanish outfield player could not be given a valid squad number before match if a goalkeeper already had number 25 and number 13 was the only number free.

- Fixed an issue which was affecting AMD/ATI Radeon Cards causing intermittent crashes

Match

=====

- Some colour clash fixes.

International

=============

- Fixed bug where players currently selected in an U19 team are then deemed to old when the U19 European Championship qualifiers are scheduled.

- Fixed bug where a replacement player could not be called up to a national team that doesn't have a full squad selected.

- The overage players in the squad can now play for U23 team friendlies before the Olympic Games.

UI

==

- Twitter and Youtube login now works on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

We have just released the latest update for FM12, 12.0.4, changelist listed below:

Football Manager 2012 v12.0.4 Changelist

Competitions

============

Australia

---------

- Fixed a bug where the game gets stuck when the user is forced to register a youth player who turned into a pro in the Australian A-League.

Finland

-------

- Fixed issue with player bans not working correctly in the First Division.

General

=======

- Fixed crash when using the "Pick Team For Me" button when all manageable clubs have been taken over by human managers.

- Fixed crash when activating a new division level which has promotion/relegation playoffs with the division above and is made up of regional divisions. (e.g. Third level in Sweden)

- Fixed crash on game startup if a club's loyalty and passion supporter profiles are set to 0 using the editor.

- Game now doesn't allow nations to be deactivated in 2011 before its competitions have finished. This was causing a few problems later in the game.

- Fixed bug where Spanish outfield player could not be given a valid squad number before match if a goalkeeper already had number 25 and number 13 was the only number free.

- Fixed an issue which was affecting AMD/ATI Radeon Cards causing intermittent crashes

Match

=====

- Some colour clash fixes.

International

=============

- Fixed bug where players currently selected in an U19 team are then deemed to old when the U19 European Championship qualifiers are scheduled.

- Fixed bug where a replacement player could not be called up to a national team that doesn't have a full squad selected.

- The overage players in the squad can now play for U23 team friendlies before the Olympic Games.

UI

==

- Twitter and Youtube login now works on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Is there no way to let people know of a up coming update? so at least we have a bit of warning?

Will you keep releasing these minor patches on a constant basis to fix minor issues or is this the last update until the next major patch?

Also do you have any news on the status of the scouting issue returning very few reports on countries they have full knowledge of? And the squad status contract issue with part-time teams?

Thanks!

You do not need to start a new game for all fixes to take affect, however some do require new games. You previous save should work fine.

Isn't that 1st sentence contradictory? Sorry for not getting it if it isn't.

• Administrators

Basically if you've got a decent save carry on. Not all fixes will work with 'old save games' (such as competition scheduling changes for example) but they will not cause any issues with a continuation of an old save.

People who want to wait until third party editors are available for new patches should really just play the game in steam-offline-mode. And only go online and update when their scouting/cheating tool is also updated. ;)

Sometimes players instructions keeps resetting for tackling, closing down etc before the match. You have to go into match and then tactics, player instructions and do it again for it to work properly. Only happened twice in first 6 months of game so far.

You do not need to start a new game for all fixes to take affect, however some do require new games. You previous save should work fine.

So we need to start a new game if we want all fixes to take effect. There are many people who are waiting for the most serious bugs to be ironed out before they begin their game, so no, they can't start playing just yet.

Especially when the scouting bug is still in there as well as the player talk bug or the firining of managers in MLS...

Can we please have an estimation on when there will be a proper patch?

is there any way to still play the game while downloading the game?

it's kinda annoying if you want to play, and realize there's an update and have to wait an hour to download the update..

Archived