FM12: Nottingham Forest Thread - Reminiscing Ol' Big 'Ed

danger_mouse

That's a dangerous game. I usually hit defensive with / get ball forward/get stuck in/hassle opponents. Just hope the long shots aren't against you and you may be okay!

I'm currently sat 4th with 4 games remaining. It's in my hands with the only team around me left to play being Everton. Will update tonight with the final positions then take a break from Fm for a week or so.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a ****ing mare at work today tbh, FM is off for tonight now. The plans for staying in have gradually been wearing thin on me and now I'm at breaking point, I need beer and can't play FM when I'm drunk so I think I'll have to go out and get the season finished another day over the weekend. :D

E: That's what you need though, some Champions League money in, that should get your reputation up.

Okay - The league went very well. Finished 4th. I however had a very nervous wait as Liverpool got to the CL final (Putting out Barca on the way). Fortunately Real Madrid proved too strong for them and I got the 3rd qualifying round slot.

Top performer: Mick Jordan - 29 assists, 13 goals -it's worth mentioning he was injured for 2 months too!

Got my youth facilities on for their 3rd upgrade so everything is looking rosy. I'll need a top quality CB & CM for next year though. The clubs rep is still 3 star, i'm hoping it'll move up over the summer so I can bring in the players I need.

i got beaten in the first league game (against Middlesbrough) and turned out unbeaten for the next 6 or 7 games last night

Transfer window is closed and i got quite a big squad now, i adjusted the board's budget to 0k transfer fee/maximum wages so i only brought in players by free transfers/loans

Loans

John Fleck

Danny Rose

Frimpong

Cunningham (as what happened in real life!)

Ravel Morrison

Free Transfers

Sol Campbell

Timar (1 star rated but a very good limited stopper)

Wome

Sold

Paul Smith

McCleary

Tudgay

McGoldrick

Miller just scored 4 goals during 1st half and got injured for 3 months, lucky Blackstock is coming back through injury and hope they can fill Miller's boots!

146 goals? Wow. I've never seen anything quite like that. I hit 107 in a PL season once but thats insane. How the hell did you manage that?

Edit:

Fixture lists can really take the **** sometimes.

You've got Everton in that run of games, at least you might get one win out of seven. :D

Did your rep go up over the summer?

I got no FM12 done this weekend, I went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Time for some staying in now though.

lol nice.

I had a pretty dysmal 3rd season, finished 9th in the league but I beat Man Utd on penalties in the FA Cup semi final and lost to Liverpool in the final and that got me into Europe. I'm having a really hard time finding anyone who I can realistically sign now though.

I've got a budget of £23.5m, just bought Boyata for £8.75m & now I need a quality central midfielder for £15m but my bids keep getting rejected for Ross Barkley & Felipe Anderson. Doing some more scouting, Freddy Guarin is transfer listed, maybe he could be a cheap improvement on a weak midfield (Cohen & McGugan are still my first choice CM's).

That's FM10 though, I know he used to be fantastic but I'll see what my scouts say on FM12 before I buy. He fits the mould of the player I want anyway, I need someone who can win the ball in the air and shoot from distance, I'm sick of having 20 long shots against **** sides and not a single one hitting the target. Plus he was on the market for £2-3m, so could be a good buy.

Honestly, find the CM/DM English regens that are coming through. I play Shelvey & a Regen (or Bannan) as my DLP. I've got a French regen to replace Shelvey too though he isn't progressing much on loan.

You save millions on transfer fee's and it keeps the wages down. My teams average age must be about 22/23. I'll check when i'm back later.

I'm finding a ridiculous amount of great CB's coming through but so far I've yet to find a really good quality CM who is willing to come to me. I found a couple at Real Madrid who wont sign and I'm unable to sign youth players from most premier league clubs because my reputation isn't high enough yet.

Plus, I need someone who is good now, I've got a ******** of youngsters who maybe in a season or two will be great.

This is the guy i've been using. Picked him up 3 seasons ago for 2.3 million from Middlesbrough and while he's not been spectacular thats not what I need him for - he keeps the midfield ticking over. Will move him to the playmaker position in a season or two.

Edit: He has PPM's of Dictate Tempo, Get forward whenever possible & killer balls. Get forward isn't what i want from a DLP but he does ok.

Okay, I have a problem. Having brought the team through the leagues and gained European football i had to build a team set up for counter attacking football.

The problem is that now, I'm in a league position where other teams come to play counter attacking football against me - We don't know how to keep the ball and i've started really struggling towards the end of this season. Part of the problem is that I only play 1 up front I think, however moving a second striker up top takes away from my ability to control the midfield (Which i can't even do at the moment)

My best player is an AML (Adv Playmaker) So i need to balance out the team so he is useful. I'm currently running with a 4-2-3-1 but it's starting to fail me. Any ideas?

Under normal circumstances I would move to a diamond at this stage but this AML is by far and away the most consistent assist provider i have ever had in an FM game.

Would you like to try my created 4-2-3-1 tactic footballhead. It's not set-up to be counter attacking, but the the full backs attack and get forward whilst I have two CMs(BWM-D & DLP-S). I then play AMCL-A, AMC-S, Treq and then poacher.

If you still have Miller, then he's perfect for the poacher role as he holds the ball up and the team storms forward for me and quite often we'll have 4/5 players attacking.

I've given McGugan the free role in my side and he did love it. He's hit a rough patch and John Fleck has taken over.

I'm in the middle of October and I'm not doing to bad. I'm sitting top, still unbeaten in the league with 8 wins and 3 draws. We've drew with West Ham(A), Portsmouth and Millwall. I'm slightly annoyed with the Millwall result as they scored 2 goals in about 5 minutes. In the League Cup I got to the 2nd round before being smashed by Peterborough at home 3-0 :(.

My first trophy in Fm12!

Quite pleased with that. I lost in the Final last season so it was nice to get a win this time around. Still in the FA Cup & The Champions league and i'm sat 3rd in the league at the moment. Wonder how much silverware I can bring this season :)

Ha, I did the same thing yesterday, stuffed Arsenal 6-1 in an earlier round and West Brom 6-1 in the final too. :D

I was knocked out of the FA Cup by Swansea, AC Milan beat me in first knock-out round of Europa, but I'm currently fifth in the league with just four games left & level fourth with Spurs who've got Man Utd next game.

I solved my CM problem too. Signed Mathieu Valbuena on a free and Rinaldo Cruzado, dropped Duricic to CM role alongside Cruzado & put Valbuena in AMC and he's been immense there. It's all worked out quite well despite Cruzado costing me £10.5m, they're both decent set piece & corner takers & both experienced midfielders, so can help with bringing through my younger players.

Players In

Alex Smithies £1.1m - Backup GK

Dedryk Boyata - £8.75m CB

Rinaldo Cruzado - £10.5m CM

Mathieu Valbuena - Free AMC

Federico Macheda - £150k loan from Jan to end of season

A load of regen youngsters, there were loads from Turkey & Germany with no club.

Strongest Line-up

GK - Ter Stegen

RB - Romario (Regen)

CB(Stopper) - Boyata

CB - El Kaoutari

LB - Boenisch

DMC - Heron (Regen)

CM - Duricic

CM(AP) - Cruzado

AMC(Attack) - Valbuena

ST - Koita / Macheda

ST(P) - Wilfried / Sturridge

-----

I've got a young regen LB who I'm hoping will be ready maybe season after next, which is why I've not replaced Boenisch yet. Sold Raddy, McGugan, Glen Loovens & Joe Lewis and let Ishmael Miller leave on a free. Findley & Chambers are leaving on free's this season and Smithies is getting sold for moaning about a lack of first team action despite me playing him in 13 games this season & his squad status being rotation.

Macheda's contract runs out at United, so I might try and snap him up on a free so that I can spend what will probably be my entire transfer budget on Ross Barkley.

I also seem to have the most games without defeat record with 19 so far(screenshot later). I've gone in to December still unbeaten, although we are starting draw more games now. Moloney's got the hump so he'll be sold in January. I've brought in Stuart Parnaby on a deal until the end of the season for him to cover that. Jlloyd Samuel's getting annoyed too despite him being back up left back and it's in his contract so he'll probably go. Dex will probably leave because he wants game time and I can't give him enough. Finally Youness Bengelloun, a CB I signed for £30k wants to leave. So I'll let him go and try and see if I can make a profit on him.

I've got to January and I'm not unbeaten anymore. I lost to Leeds 3-0 away in December which is quite disappointing. We're still top by five points and we have got Newcastle in the FA Cup 3rd Round. My expectations have been changed again. Well not changed, but I've got to re choose them and I stuck with the top half finish and got £210k to spend and an extra £17k or so to spend on wages. Greening is really getting on my nerves now and I'm looking to sell him. I've made a few offers for players who are out of contract in the summer and I've made a loan offer for Glenn Whelan. He'll be perfect for my deep-lying playmaker role.

Trouble with progressing up the leagues & wheeling & dealing with a lot of players is them damn player talks. XXX is concerned, so you have a chat and tell them they're not good enough anymore, they don't believe you and think you're wrong. Under aggressive ought to be an option to just tell them to **** off. :D

I let Miller go on a free and towards the end of that season, despite my high league position the fans are still disappointed.

This game is great. Playing Millwall away and we're going into the last ten minutes of the game. Struggling to create anything which looks like it'll go in, I change my first formation and chuck Ish on upfront as a target man- support alongside another sub Findley. I go attacking and more direct and in the 82 minute Miller scored. I would be happy with a draw but 7 minutes later we win the ball back in our own half and Lubos Hanzel iirc gave the ball the Miller who raced from just inside their half into their box. Expecting him to be greedy and pull the trigger, I was delighted when he squared it across to Reidy who slotted it home. This gave us another win as results around us went our way and we now sit 10 points clear going in to February. Last time this happened on FM(last year) exact same time give or take a few days, we only went on to pick up 13 points from 49 and eventually lost out in the Play-Off Final. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Currently coming towards the end of February and we're still top. We had a shaky spell where drew three and lost one on four games. Then we had West Ham at home. They're second and starting to gain on us so I was expecting the worst. 8 minutes in and they score. Luckiily for me one of my signings in January, Joseph Akpala on loan had other ideas. He equalised just after and then put us in front four minutes after going behind. He then gets his third and we should have had a fourth but McGugan missed a penalty. The game's pretty much won by the start of the second half with them having a few half chances and Darlow keeping them out. Reidy scored a cracker late on to take us 9 points clear with thirteen games to go.

In the West Ham game, Darlow got a rating of 8.3. He's having to play instead of Camp who picked up a three month injury in January.

Are you sure?? ;)

Unless you know something I dont, I'm just going off my 20/20 JPP & JPA staff members who basically told me to release him. Then again, I guess that depends whether you're aiming for several seasons of mediocrity in the Championship or actually getting somewhere with the club.

Archived