FM12 Cut-Out Faces Megapack Thread

Mons

I became a premium member a couple of days ago. Free mirrors are there so as to prevent anybody from flaming as "why can not we get it for free ? >:|".

I, being able to, was forced to purchase a premium. I don't like the taste but I try to think that I helped some good guys.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretended, thanks for having become a premium member. I'm sure you all appreciate the costs involved in the upkeep of the site and the massive bandwith involved in the continual uploading of a 5GB file (and counting). It's with the support of people like you that we can continue to offer this megapack as well as other graphical packs on our site.

I have to say I personally do not agree with your assertion that free mirrors are only there to ward off potential flamers. The pack uploading system has been fully automated by Rob so that when I upload a new pack, it automatically generates both a new complete pack and the update pack in separate packages. The two filesharing sites used were the only 2 to assist Rob with the coding involved in such a system (I'm not a techie so I've no idea what's what in this regard). Moreover, and I can't believe I keep having to say this through the years, IT'S FREE! Short of hand-delivering it your doorstep on demand, I don't know what else we can do, really :)

I must also disagree with the assertion that you were 'forced to purchase a premium'. I don't think anybody put a gun to your head, did they? ;) You did it cos you wanted to, and for that we are grateful.

Chicha_14, the site admin overhauled the file downloading system and the torrent link seems to have been caught in some friendly fire. In the interim, I'm distributing the link to the torrent via PM - drop me a line :)

I was, being able to, forced to buy a premium.

It's hardly different from leaving only one channel on TV that only airs crap and say "hey, who pointed a gun at you to watch TV anyway ?". If I want to watch TV and it's only you out there, I have rights to complain about the crap you're showing me.

Free mirrors suck worse than an alligator sibling trying to feed from a female human. Codes, hassle, automation, fine -but that does not concern the problem we're having about those mirrors. Maybe there are not any good free hosts anymore out there, I can understand. But there's no way that providing those free mirrors practically are useful.

Thanks for your efforts though. I appreciate your ways of marketing. ;)

According to wikipedia, Marketing is "the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large." (my strikethroughs)

I intended to argue that what I was doing is not marketing but it seems I would have been incorrect :) Regardless of that, I have to say that our offering definitely offers value to the punters. We are giving away, for free, something which has involved many thousands of man-hours down the years. Not only that, but on a monthly basis, we endevour to provide an update, which again takes hundreds of man-hours. I'm sorry but, regardless of any issues you might have with the mirrors, you absolutely cannot say that is not value for money.

I have to say that I also disagree with your opinion about 'forced' part of your previous post, but it's probably a question of semantics tbh; I don't think English is the first language of either of us.

Having been involved in this project for quite a while now, I am passionate about it and want to defend its intentions and that of its contributors - I assure you none of the participants make a penny from our work. If anything, we're ripped off by ebay merchants who include our work (and that of others) in 'pimp my game' graphic packs for which they have the cheek to charge money, off the back of our hard work.

I'm also bored at work right now, which is why I composed the above essay ;) That said, I again underline my appreciation towards you for having bought a premium membership, which assists us in the upkeep and smooth running of the site :)

What is the optimum/maximum file size a face/file can be?

Not sure if you are referring to a source image or the cut itself. Either way, I don't believe there's any restrictions.

Abilai_Khan, please follow the links in the OP to the sortitoutsi forums and make the request according to our rules :thup:

According to wikipedia, Marketing is "the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large." (my strikethroughs)

I intended to argue that what I was doing is not marketing but it seems I would have been incorrect :) Regardless of that, I have to say that our offering definitely offers value to the punters. We are giving away, for free, something which has involved many thousands of man-hours down the years. Not only that, but on a monthly basis, we endevour to provide an update, which again takes hundreds of man-hours. I'm sorry but, regardless of any issues you might have with the mirrors, you absolutely cannot say that is not value for money.

I have to say that I also disagree with your opinion about 'forced' part of your previous post, but it's probably a question of semantics tbh; I don't think English is the first language of either of us.

Having been involved in this project for quite a while now, I am passionate about it and want to defend its intentions and that of its contributors - I assure you none of the participants make a penny from our work. If anything, we're ripped off by ebay merchants who include our work (and that of others) in 'pimp my game' graphic packs for which they have the cheek to charge money, off the back of our hard work.

I'm also bored at work right now, which is why I composed the above essay ;) That said, I again underline my appreciation towards you for having bought a premium membership, which assists us in the upkeep and smooth running of the site :)

Great start admitting that you have been exercising some marketing may you be aware of it or not. :)

I guess you have to clarify your ways of releasing this project for it seems cheesy the way as it is. You need to decide if

(A) you want to distribute this for free and soundly so

(B) you would not refuse donations while releasing this for free and soundly so

© you deserve some fee for the work that has been done so far so you'd practically sell the package

The project's release as it currently is is none of the above. However you end up with the result of © whether you have intended it to be so or not. Free servers are barely useful. And being forced like that irks the same as FREE TO PLAY RIGHT NOW !!!11one MMOs where you can't progress a dime without buying the "premium" whatsoever. Trust me, despite it would create displeasure among the fans of the project at first, it at least would seem a lot more honest. Your project is already "pirated", as you'd know better than me.

Also I become a premium member by paying those bucks however all I got was fast access to Megapack only. I'm quite sure it wasn't "premium access to Megapack". There are tons of other files which are distributed via other sites of which speeds and the availability of files fluctuate. So, this is not much value I reckon or yet another misplaced label.

Thanks for your efforts however when money comes in, expect stomach aches.

Your English, while good, is a bit archaic and I'm not sure I understand the whole jist of your argument tbh.

However, I repeat, the file is available both for those who are not willing to pay (through torrent or multiple file download) as well as for those who are willing to pay a small fee, like you (via a single-file download from our servers). If you don't want to donate and don't want to use the so-called barely-useful free servers, I don't know what other alternatives you expect from us.

As far as I am involved in this project, I intend to retain a free downloading option and never to have payment as the sole downloading option. It is my opinion, which I think many will agree with, that this graphical add-on should be available for all the community and its free availability is to be maintained. Naturally, for those who are able and willing to assist us by donating or buying a premium membership, there is always that option, and again we are very grateful for those who choose to do so. The financial aspects of hosting the site are considerable and every little bit helps.

I most assertively do not agree with your implication that the way we are proceeding is not honest. We have been very clear from the very start on the why the file is distributed in the way it is, despite repeated misunderstandings from the likes of yourself as well as other people shedding a bad light on us. The vast majority of users, however, thankfully understand that our primary motivation is to provide this service for the community and not to make money. Hence why I always respond to allegations such as yours casting aspersions on the integrity of the megapack makers and contributors. Moreover, just because our project is pirated doesn't mean we like or accept it - again I'm not sure what your point is here.

Unfortunately, the only stomach aches I have come to expect come from posts such as yours which only criticise without being informed well enough to see the bigger picture. It is rather tiresome that I have to keep saying the same things over and over again. I am sorry you do not like whichever aspects of the MP that you don't like - but it seems that whatever we do, you will not agree with it. Before this thread gets derailed, I consider this topic concluded and will not enter into further discussion on this matter.

We are always open to hearing constructive criticism on our project and how to take it forward and improve it accordingly for the benefit of the community. A number of helpful suggestions have already been received and integrated into the MP and we are always available to hear new proposals and assist users with any queries, both on here and on our dedicated cut-out forum.

My post was definitely trying to be constructive. I am pretty sure that you took its bluntness through an offensive intent - it was not. I just purchased something from you guys, remember ? It's a comparably costly way to flamewar, were that the motive behind my posts here.

Your free downloading options suck. And if one has a few bucks around, he ends up having to purchase a premium membership or googles the net to see if alternative filehosts are provided -those without your consent of course.

You're not rocket-sciencing here -I do not know what I should be informed of to criticise the way this pack has come to be delivered. I simply tried to show you what feels wrong and recommended you to choose ways, not every suggestion is bound to follow the "hey I'm a HUGE fan of yours and here is the facebook fanpage i've opened dedicated to MP 1! Could you please if you could add Hasan Hüseyin Delibekir pic (100x100 px, .gif) into MP, I'm drooling over the guy thank you so much" pattern.

As all my posts here ended, finally, thanks for your efforts a-gain. Whoever criticises you could only be doing it just to be an aweshole, nothing else, don't you think ?

Personally, the free downloading options work perfectly and are not as bad as you are making them out to be. The comparison you make with the "FREE TO PLAY RIGHT NOW !!!11one MMOs where you can't progress a dime without buying the "premium" whatsoever" is not correct as I have downloaded the last 3-4 updates using the free mirrors without a single problem or issue.

If you have issues with it, then it is a problem not experienced by everyone.

I agree with you ShirazS. My mate who only just bought FM a few days ago ask me about the faces megapack and where he could download it. I pointed him (and tried myself) to the fmdownloads page but the free torrent wasn't working. So what I did was post on here asking what had happened to the free download, pretty quickly I got a reply from mons saying drop him a PM to get a link for the "free" download. I sent him a PM and the next day I had a reply giving me the link to download the torrent. Now within a few days my mate has the pack along with nearly all the updates.

In my experience with getting FM graphics its a lot more simple than what it first looks. Anytime in the future that you are wanting to get graphics and need help from people like mons, I would say be patient because they do help out a lot on here and they will get back to you asap.

If it's a problem specific to my end indeed, I apologize for the ruffle. I was able to download the pack without any problems after having a premium, hence the complaint.

I still think free mirrors are not the best options though. Likes of Filefront.com are far better providers.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly later than planned, I am happy to announce the release of update pack 4.11.

It contains 3,839 new or improved images and the file size is around 170MB. The total amount of images in the megapack is now 114,044

It is available from fmdownloads.com as usual (click Download Latest Changes Only). Temporary mediafire link

I'd like to thank our site owner and administrator Rob for the new design of fmdownloads.com as well as for his patience in dealing with our requests on the technical side - it's much appreciated. Thanks as always also go to the cutters and requesters who have contributed :thup:

Enjoy :thup:

Is there a torrent file to download? cos its gonna take ages for me to download all the separate files :(

btw do you think it's worth being a premium member on websites such as megaupload? or is it not worth it?

Do you mean a torrent for the main pack or the updates?

• 2 weeks later...

well i've just contributed the £10. Well worth it - for one, it's a single download, that's fast instead of downloading loads of them from dodgy sites, and it's only £10, per year, for endless FM faces!

Top stuff

Thanks jdrawmer, your contribution and anybody else's are always much appreciated.

Apostrophe, I've replied to your PM now :)

There's been a bit of restructuring of the fmdownloads page by our site overload Rob. The link to the torrent file is now displayed a bit more clearly, at the bottom of this page, for everybody's convenience :thup:

Just paid to become a premium member, but it still says it's going to take 7+ hours to download 4.11 Complete pack. Are these really your "fastest servers" ?

The suckerpunch is that we're currently on 4.11, deeming the torrent 4.0 just as much of a PITA as the free mirrors, because I'll still have 11 further large update downloads to do. I guess you're not far off 5, for which there will presumably be a new torrent, anyway - I'm happy to help out with the donation. Great job guys :)

It really depends on how quick your internet connection is tbh. Plenty of people managed to download the complete pack in a couple of hours or so. It's 5GB or thereabouts so clearly it's not going to be a matter of minutes.

As for your point about the torrent, I guess it's a valid one. We do kind of assume that people keep their cut-out folder up-to-date by downloading the latest updates regularly rather than having to download the whole batch a time. Besides, as you mention, it's hardly worth it to release a torrent file now with FM13 (hopefully) only a couple of months or so away. You might want to hold off downloading it till then...

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly later than planned, I am happy to announce the release of update pack 4.12.

It contains 3,425 new or improved images and the file size is around 156MB. The total amount of images in the megapack is now 115,544

It is available from our new graphics download section (click Download Latest Changes Only).

We are working on 4.13 which will be released in due course. Unless FM13 is released in December, this will be the last update pack for 4.0.

5.0 will be released before FM13 is out to enable people to have the images in place before starting a new game. It will be available in torrent form and as a single file download for sortitoutsi premium users. For those who have kept up-to-date with all the update packs, there will be an interim pack which bridges the gap, similar to last year, as Chicha_14 mentions.

• 3 weeks later...
Any chance that 5.0 will be out by Friday?

At the risk of being pilloried if we don't manage it, the intention is certainly to have it out by the time that the 'beta' release is unlocked next Friday.

I've just realised that I did not announce the release of update pack 4.13 last Sunday, which is available from the download section on sortitoutsi, as usual. It includes 3,591 new or improved images for a total file size of 173MB. It takes the total of MP images to 116,547.

This will be the final update pack for this version of the megapack. Further announcements on 5.0 will be out very soon

I think I'll also start a new thread for 5.0, to ensure there is no confusion on what and how to install.

Archived