FM12 Big Euro Nation: Small Club to Big Club Challenge

DodgeeD - Congratulations on another league win, have to echoe others here and say you're youth products look amazing!

Swinburn - Impressive how quickly you have completed the challengue, well done!

vikeologist - Well done on another league title, it must be frustrasting when progress in Europe isn't really happening.

StellaF1 - Thank you for trashing Palmeiras :D

G-Wiz - Well done on winning the league, hope you manage to get promoted in the playoff, you lose too much money in this division so getting out of there as quickly as possible has to be the priority.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I wait for the inevitable one bad result in Spring to send us out of the Champions League, I am trying to get every meaningful Scottish Premier League record (that we don't already have), and some of them are really tough. After 10 games we're on course for them all, apart from the 19 man of the Matches, which in a 38 game season is practically unbeatable.

Category    Record     We Need (Av per game)     We Have (Av per game)
Points      103        2.73                      2.8
Goals       132        3.5                       4.2
Goalscorer  35         0.95                      1

Swinburn - congratulations on completing so quickly! great achievement in Spain. good luck with the Whitecaps

vikeologist - good luck smashing all of the records. fingers crossed you can make that breakthrough in europe soon too. SO hard for a scottish team. good luck.

DodgeeD - Congratulations for continuing your domestic dominance. hopefully you can crack europe soon. Echo all of the comments regarding your youth players. if only i could get decent players through.

G-Wiz - good luck for the play-offs. fingers crossed you make it as that play-off system is an arse to crack. here's hoping you make it.

As for me and Mannheim, i had a bit of time away but am back now and in February. hopefully i should be able to push on towards the end of the season this week. in a VERY tight battle at the top featuring about 8 teams.

Well, chaps, I am going to give this a go, and I WILL succeed. Everytime I've attempted a challenge, it has always ended in the first season. This time, I will make it to the top.

Introducing the manager of Infesta, of Portugal

More about me

The club

Club Info

Squad - Pretty dire, and I need staff. A lot of staff.

Hi guys, quick update: we're exceeding expectations in our first year in Serie B. It won't end in promotion but importantly it definitely won't end in relegation.

It's the middle of March and I've just this second had the new youth intake. Consider me delighted by David Nicolini - my first genuine star youth prospect! :)

FC Infesta

2012/13

21abp55.png

Second Division North - 7th

Taça de Portugal - 3rd Round

Squad

A season of two very different halves. First half was pretty dire, we started off badly, with a record of 1-0-4 in our first five games. The players were definitly better than this, I couldn't understand what was going wrong. So, I finally cracked and downloaded a tactic off the forums. The result? we went 13-7-5 for the rest of the season, dragged ourselves out of the relegation fight and settled comfortably midtable. The number of draws, and highscoring games, made me worry about our defence, so next season will need reinforcements.

The cup happened before the new tactic, so they can just be ignored, and we can move on :D

Transfers

The usual, lots in, lots out, all for free.

Key men

Lucas (23 goals, 10 assists, 33 appearances) - Played every game, started very slowly, but with the new tactic, started banging them in.

Rui Janota (19 goals, 11 assists, 30 appearances - A revelation alongside Lucas, they will both be needed next year as we aim to push up the table

Next Season?

Push up the table, aim for the title

Concede less!

| Season  | League                  | Position   | Achievements                 |
|=========|=========================|============|==============================|
| 2012/13 |  Second Division North  |    7th     |         Survived!            |

FC Infesta

Preseason - 2013/14

21abp55.png

Infesta 3 - 0 Pasteleira

Infesta 5 - 1 S. Roque Aveiro

Infesta 5 - 0 Torcatense

Infesta 5 - 0 Correlha

Infesta 3 - 1 Terras Bouro

Transfers

João Nunes - I was told our old goalkeeper was now past his peak, so I found this chap who I think will do very well this season

Flávio Paixão - I was tracking him for a lot of last season, and when he didn't renew his contract with his old club, I immediately snapped him up

Unfortunatley there were no good central defenders available.

Our finances have also reached £160k in the red, so hopefully a good cup run can bring in the money.

@corinthiano as you can see, our finances are poor, very poor :/

iacovone - looks a good prospect... i'd kill for one but not getting anything. i have asked the board to improve the youth facilities but they refuse saying i should concentrate improving the senior team.... not helpful!!

mattspurs94 - good solid first season there following your upturn in fortunes. good luck next season.

I agree with you! I have Good training facilities, average junior coaching and average youth recruitment, only downside is the minimal youth facilities, but I am not sure what the effect is exactly.

In my first year I had three players come up with potential to be excellent a division above us, so I reckon my facilities will help me out a lot in the beginnning.

MattSpurs - I can indeed back rlips up! It's a tough nut to crack, but I imagine that will make it all the more satisfying when (if) I do.

iacovone - He's a cracking player! How have you managed that!? I've had 17 (I think) seasons at Lusitania Acores now and haven't had one player who's been even a vaguely competent footballer, and I have state of the art training facilities, excellent youth facilities, outstanding junior coaching and above average recruitment. Still absolutely nothing!

FC Infesta

2013/14

21abp55.png

Second Division North - 3rd

Taça de Portugal - 3rd Round

Squad

A much better season sees us finish 3rd, but quite a few points off top. again, we started slowly, but managed to pick up, despite being extremely inconsistent. Again, defence was the problem. We were the second top scorers in the league, but we still conceded at stupid times which cost us points, especially from winning positions.

Knocked out of the cup again at the 3rd round, but to Liga Orangina side Rio Ave.

Transfers

Same as last season. All free transfers

Key men

Julio Coronel (1 goals, 10 assists, 16 appearances) - Came in January to improve a weak midfield for us. 10 assists gives me high hopes for next season.

Rui Janota (29 goals, 7 assists, 33 appearances - Once again the main man, falling just short of 30 goals this season.

Next Season?

Promotion has to be on the cards. We are so close, and we need to start bringing in money fast. We are £215k in the red, and the wage budget is gonna probably be slashed again.

Stop conceding so many, especially when we are leading

| Season  |         League          |  Position  |        Achievements          |
|=========|=========================|============|==============================|
| 2012/13 |  Second Division North  |    7th     |          Survived!           |
| 2013/14 |  Second Division North  |    3rd     |                              |

MattSpurs - I can indeed back rlips up! It's a tough nut to crack, but I imagine that will make it all the more satisfying when (if) I do.

iacovone - He's a cracking player! How have you managed that!? I've had 17 (I think) seasons at Lusitania Acores now and haven't had one player who's been even a vaguely competent footballer, and I have state of the art training facilities, excellent youth facilities, outstanding junior coaching and above average recruitment. Still absolutely nothing!

Pure luck I guess PRDH! I'm delighted :D

150px-Usnovese.png

End of Season Report - Novese - 2022/23 (Season 11) - Serie B

Serie B -

7th

So, finally we had made it to Serie B. The board asked me just to keep our heads above water and that was essential really. I could not handle another year back in Serie C1! So armed with a much bigger wage budget (£40k p/w), I bolstered the squad and snapped up a couple of loanees.

It was an inauspicious start. Despite a 4-0 win over Ascoli (who were later promoted), we lost five of our first eight games. Nonetheless, the squad gelled and we started grinding out wins in the long 42 game season.

By the mid-way point we'd won ten of the first 21 games, putting us comfortably clear of relegation bother. We then went on something of a promotion run, losing just three of the next 17 games!

The problem came as we faced off against 2nd placed Bari. Had we beaten them, we may have sneaked 2nd and automatic promotion. Sadly, we came massively unstuck and were dealt a bludgeoning 5-1 defeat! This snowballed into an awful run in which we picked up just a point from our last four games.

From what looked like possible promotion, ended in missing out on the playoffs by a point! It was frustrating to see us bottle it like that, but I couldn't ask for more from the players - a fine season.

Results 1 | Results 2

The Cups:

It is a bit more interesting for us now but we still struggled. After defeating Piacenza 1-0, we lost in extra time 5-2 to Vicenza in the 3rd qualifying round. Oh well.

Results

Key Men

Ricardo Tantardini (D/MC) - played his 11th season with us and unexpectedly pushed his way into the starting eleven more than ever. Won fans player of the year and earned a new contract by virtue of this.

Lorenzo Bianchi (DM/MC) - joined from Parma on loan for the second season in a row and was very steady in midfield. Hope to get him back again for next season.

Marcello Rosati (MC/AMLC/ST) - didn't have his finest season but deserves a mention as he'll be released. Nine years of good service, but the step up to Serie B was too much. Arrivederci!

Lucio Lorini (AM/ST) -signed on loan from Novara and played up top for most of the campaign. Bit of a talent, but probably won't see him here again.

Dennis Fischer (AMRL/ST) - there remains loads of interest in our young German striker. I'm still not convinced he's that amazing but he's got the pace to always cause a threat.

Squad Stats

Finances

Club Information[/url]

Objectives Complete?

• Avoid relegation

Success! And by some distance.

• Continue financial prudence

Failed. Far from prudence but the board helped out when possible and a kit deal that increases income by £200k should help next season.

• Take advantage of new scouting areas

Success. Sort of. It's working anyway, our scouts are providing many more options and I'll be bringing a few obscurer nationalities to the club.

New Objectives:

• Top half finish
  • Build a youthful future
  • Get a cup run going

So a good debut in Serie B and progress is beginning to be made. I'd be surprised if we replicate our 7th placed finish but depending on the signings I make, it's definitely possible.

I was offered the Empoli job at the end of the season after they failed in the playoffs but obviously turned it down.

Joining us in Serie B this season are: Cagliari, Livorno and Varese (from Serie A) and Modena, Pro Vercelli, Virtus Lanziano and Catanzaro (from Serie C1). Bring it on!

Overall Best Eleven

The reason I haven't posted an update in a while is I haven't been able too... My laptop's had to go off for repair because it's dead. It's a new laptop and a very good one, there's just something wrong with it and I don't know what. So, I'm hoping it can be fixed with my save still on there but, it doesn't look hopeful... Which is annoying as I was enjoying this...

I give up.

How come everyone can do so well all the time, yet I can't ever get out of the bottom division?

Well, what did you tell the board to expect? I'd suggest feigning an almost suicidal degree of pessimism for the initial board expectations, and then overdeliver.

As for how to do well in this game, i do ok with a 442 no frills formation. The key is to be consistent with your tactics and in the early stages get good scouts and only buy players with 5 star potential or 4 star current.

I've mentioned before that I like all my players to have very high determination. I love it when another team scores first against us. I just laugh and think, "You should not have done that. Now you've done gone and got them angry," and get ready to pay out a fortune in goal bonusses.

MattSpurs - I would agree completely with Vikeologist, I always pick the bottom expectation I possibly can, keeps the pressure off and I try to stay well under wage budget as well. Then generally with those two in combination you are so far above expectations you are never likely to slip and lose your job. Slow and steady, takes me 3 to 4 seasons to get out of the bottom division, then 2-3 to get up the next one, and then 10 seasons to win a title in the top division. I know I am never as successful as others but if you are steady the board never even look at getting rid of you.

As for Parla, well our slow and steady with good players and slowly improving had dropped with a couple of bad losses this season against other top teams, so when Hercules (2nd) were coming to town and we had 7 players on international duty, and a few injured making my squad look like this, I thought we were in serious trouble, but our captain stepped up and Perego twice gave us the lead at 1:0 & 2:1 with an eventual 4:1 victory. Absolutely delighted with that result.

vikeologist, Lower Leagues Rule - Thats the problem. I did pick it, but being in 7th was clearly too horrific for them.

What I'll probably do now is spend some time developing a couple of tactics and maybe have a go later in the year.

MattSpurs - I too am amazed by how successful people are, but sometimes it's just bad luck I think to get sacked like that. Though not raising expectations too much helps. I've won five (ish) titles in a row now and still don't tell the board I'll do it.

I've had a bit of a sabbatical from my game, but I'm feeling the temptation to fire the save up again. Hell, I'll do it.

Maybe one day I will be as successful as them :o :D

I am learning how to design tactics to match my team's strengths at the moment, so I may be back quicker than I thought :thup:

Good luck. I designed a tactic that suited how I played and that I liked back on FM09 with Domegliara for this challenge and have just stuck with it basically (especially when in the top division), only modifying slightly each time round.

Academico_Viseu-logo-.gif

Ac. Viseu - 2013/2014 - End of Season Review

Manager Profile

Team Information

Transfers

Predicted Position: 6th

Actual Position: 1st

Average Attendance: 902

Season Ticket Holders: 292

So the aim for this season was to try and pick up where we left off, and continue the winning ways we had begun to get used to at the end of last season. The team certainly didnt disappoint, suffering our one and only league defeat on the 16th march 2014, 24 games into the league season! This form saw us finish on 77 points, 23 points clear of second placed Operario Acores. Therefore we cruised into the promotion playoff.

2 wins and 2 draws from our playoff matches saw us finish top of the group with 8 points, and as a result promoted to the Portuguese Second League!!

As for the Portuguese Cup, our journey in that competition was ended in the 3rd round by our parent club Lieira, of the Portuguese Premier League, where we suffered a 4-1 drubbing, but performed better than i could have hoped for.

A few of the more notable performers of the season were as follows:

GK

Igor Rocha - 18 clean sheets from 37 matches, good season for the keeper

DEF

Alisson - young fullback brought in for free in the summer, first team player, became one of the first names on the teamsheet

Rodolfo Simoes - used in rotation for LB position, average of 7.09, solid without doing a lot

Gleydson - formed solid CB partnership with Basto, average rating of 7.14 for the season

Hugo Basto - other CB, 7.12 for the season

Joao Cancelo - arrived in january transfer window, provided healthy competition for LB position

MID

Dionatan Teixeira - big DM had another decent season, sitting just in front of back 4 and mopping up whenever required

Mexilhao - another brought in halfway through the season, and fought Teixeira hard for DM position, potentially first choice going forward

Andre Gomes - one of my first choice CMs, 2 goals and 7 assists from there isnt bad, but its definitely an area we need to strengthen going forward

Joao Paulo - other CM, slightly more productive going forward but replaceable

ATT

Jean Silva - moved into front 3 for this season and very impressive, scoring 18 goals and laying on 6 goals, averaging 7.24 in the process

Bacari - big man was the star last year, but didnt get nearly as much action this season. did however pop up with 7 valuable goals when called upon, seems to be far better than his ratings indicate. on limited time though as we step up a division

Fusca - another great bit of business, spotted by a scout and quickly signed in the summer. a return of 19 goals and 11 assists makes him a favourite for Fans Player of The Year and possibly the first name on the teamsheet

Edson - 20 goals and 12 assists make him the star man of the season, brought in for a bit of valuable experience in an otherwise youthful squad, and didnt disappoint

Leonardo Mancuso - back up striker, 4 goals from his 7 apps isnt too bad, but edged out the team by the new signings

Top Scorer - Edson - 20 goals

Highest Average Rating - Edson - 7.38

Fans Player of The Year - Edson

Portuguese Second Division Top Scorer - Edson

Portuguese Second Division Young Player Of The Year - Fusca - Jean Silva - 3rd

Portuguese Second Division Manager of The Year - Garry Maltman

Portuguese Second Division Team of The Year - Edson & Fusca

Moving forward, the aim for next year will be to try and hang onto our status in the Second League. It'll be difficult, especially with us being part-time, and having a huge black hole in out finances (currently 212k in the red), although hopefully now we can start to fill the stadium more than ever before, roughly 13000 empty seats on average per match last season, so the potential is there to increase the clubs income dramatically if the fans start to come out and support the team now we're progressing. Squad wise, there are definitely a few areas needing strengthened, however it'll be interesting to see how some of the current crop cope with the demand of playing at a higher level. There may be a tough year ahead!!

Season          Division                                 Position       Achievements
2012/2013       Portuguese Second Division - Central      7th	        Safety          
2013/2014       Portuguese Second Division - Central      1st           Champions, Promoted Through Playoffs

G-Wiz - congrats on promotion. that certainly was a season of domination... good luck next season. i think you will probably do quite well.

As for Mannheim, our season has come to an end. hopefully i can get the season review done and up this weekend.

G-Wiz - Congratulations on a very good season. Edson a real star, hopefully he'll make the step up.

rlips - Looking forward to it!

Some of the magic seems to have gone missing from my squad at the moment. A really patchy start to the season, partly due to some injury problems, but basically we've not been playing well enough. Time to earn my keep!

825.png

Association Sportive de Cannes Football - June 2012

Manager Profile (Feeble attempt at French-ising my name...)

Club Information

Proof of Promotion

Squad

Unknown Frenchman Augustus Henry is the surprise choice for AS Cannes' open managerial role. With no experience, other than playing in a Sunday League in his hometown, all eyes will be on the relatively young manager.

AS Cannes, a team both Zinedine Zidane and Patrick Vieira have played for, are a big team for a minnow in the managerial world. Following their promotion from CFA C, the media predict a healthy 5th place, and the board is expecting "nothing less than promotion". This will certainly be a challenge for football's newest arrival.

Note: I am not that quick at playing this game, so don't expect regular updates!

VLF-logo.png

Vendee Lucon, Start of game 2 - 2023

After finishing the challenge with Seregno in Italy I have added the French league to the Italian Leagues in my game as well as retiring my manager from the game and have holidayed through a season.

So i will introduce Stuart Brawls (Profile, Information) as the new manager of Vendee Lucon (Overview) in their first ever season in the National division.

The clubs reputation in the National division is 20th and last though financially we are slightly better as we are 17th.

Hopefully what i have done above is ok and will keep you informed as to how i get on in France.

Austinho - welcome and good luck with Cannes. you have a good club there to start with. looking forward to seeing your progress.

StellaF1 - sounds fine to me in doing that. good luck with them. looking forward to seeing you complete as quickly in France... ;)

Academico Viseu have just been drawn away to Benfica in the Taca de Portugal 5th round...while im not expecting anything but a drubbing, hopefully the gate receipts will provide a serious boost to our finances, which are currently over 200k in the red

Second season in Serie B is going ok. At the halfway point we've played 20 and have a 10-1-9 record. That's good enough to position us in 9th, which is ideal given I promised the board top half this season. The January transfer window has just opened and our fax machine has been inundated by co-ownership deals! Dennis Fischer, Gustavo Mesquita, Matteo Pozzi, Zdravko Vidovic and Matias Coto have offers. I've accepted all of them as, in my experience, buying sides rarely purchase the second 50% of the player. Plus it offers a decent short-term financial boost.

Speaking of financial boosts, our summer signing Sidi Dianessy has been approached by Olympiakos for a stunning £2.5m! Needless to say, the chairman accepted this bid. To be honest, as big a blow as it will be to lose him, that money could go far given some of the players my scouts have found.

I'll keep you posted...

SV_Waldhof_Mannheim.png

SV Waldhof Mannheim – German Bundesliga – Season 2019/20

Season Review

League Finish: 3rd Graph Club Overview Club Information

german-bundesliga-logo.gif

The League

After last season’s 3rd place finish the pressure was on a little to try and match our achievements of last season. As the graph shows, we struggled early on before managing to settle down and sit in the hunt for European places. The title pack was very congested though and at Christmas there was about 8 teams in the pack with about 5 points seperating 1st from 8th. We had a wobble in January / February but managed to hit a great run of form that saw us in the hunt. With two games to go we were suddenly faced with the chance of claiming top spot if we could beat Leverkusen away, who were 2nd. Unfortunatley we blew it, losing 3-0 to drop to 4th with a game to go. We managed to beat Schalke 3-0 at home to pop up into 3rd and claim the final Champion’s League spot to match our achievements of last season.

German Cup

uefa_champions_league.gif

Champions League

Champions League Best Placed Play-off

Mannheim 1 – 0 Paris Saint-Germain

Paris Saint-Germain 5 – 1 Mannheim

So our CL adventure was over before it began. A great first leg result saw us take a narrow lead to France, but we were never at the races in the second leg and went down to a heavy defeat.

0,,10412~9618847,00.jpg

Europa League

Following our Champions league defeat we dropped into the group stages of the Europa League. We were drawn against AZ Alkmaar, Saint-Etienne and Anzhi. I thought it might be a tough group but as the group table shows we won 3 and drew 3 to go through as group winners. I was delighted with the results, especially as our squad was compromised by the registration restrictions in place.

We then were drawn against Udinese in the 1st knockout round:

Udinese 1 – 0 SVW Mannheim

SVW Mannheim 5 – 2 Udinese

A tough away defeat saw us need to win in the return leg. We were fantastic on the night and thrashed Udinese to make it through to the last 16 where we were drawn against Tottenham:

SVW Mannheim 3 – 1 Tottenham

Tottenham 3 – 4 SVW Mannheim

I couldn’t quite believe the two results we managed here. We took a lead to White Hart Lane and just went on the attack, ensuring our passage to the Quarter Finals where we were drawn against Marseille.

Marseille 1 – 1 SVW Mannheim

SVW Mannheim 2 – 1 Marseille

The quarters were a lot more tricky. Only a late equaliser in the home leg saw us go to France level. After falling behind to an early goal we had to dig deep and we managed to score twice, important goals that saw us through to the semi-finals of the Europa League!

Spartak Moscow 3 – 0 SVW Mannheim

SVW Mannheim 1 – 1 Spartak Moscow

And the dream ended. We were poor in Russia and couldn’t turn it around at home. Looking back I have a lot of pride at how well we did but I am extremely frustrated that we got so close to the final. Still it was a great adventure and we learnt a lot from the experiences.

The Players

Transfers

Squad 1 Squad 2

Goalkeepers

1. Hugo Anzarda - Hugo was brought in as a replacement for Colovic and is the Argentinian international keeper. Hugo did a solid job and had a good debut season. Plenty more to come from him.

13. Raymond Dekker - Raymond was back-up for the season and idid ok when called on. Slightly unhappy at being a back-up, his future depends on how happy he is at the club.

Full Backs

22. Andreas Schroder - Andreas had a solid season but found himself sidelined a bit by the emerging Escobar. I have great depth in the RB slot.

2. Victor Escobar - Victor settled more in his second season and found himself becoming our 1st choice RB. Some fantastic performances followed he has laid down a marker for future seasons.

3. Rafael - Rafael started the season solidly and was pretty consistent. However the arrival of Rodriguez in January saw him lose his place in the team.

43. Cesar Rodriguez - Cesar joined in January for £7 million in January and had a solid if unspectacular start to his Mannheim career. I do expect however that he will kick on next season and justify the large fee I paid.

Centre Backs

5. Giovane - Giovane joined on loan for the season and had a good season for the club. I am deciding whether to offer him a deal this summer by actvating the £2.5 million fee agreed with Gremio.

6. Amadou Traore - The Malian defender joined in January as a replacement for Osmar. Still settling in, I expect more from him next season.

15. Vasilis Baxevanidis - Valisis had a solid season for the club and adds depth to our defensive options.

55. Alexandr Kuznetsov - Alexandr struggled a bit this season but still has the quality and will push hard for a starting spot again next season.

32. Nikolay Makovskiy - Nikolay was a back-up player again this season and continues to wait for an opportunity.

26. Hans-Werner Hermann - The young German joined to add some home grown talent to the club. Back-up player, he is a German U21 international.

Midfielders

4. Zafer Balikci - Zafer had another good season although it was blighted by quite a few injuries.

7. Nicolas Ruiz - Nicolas was in and out of the team this season but still got 10 assists. I am letting him go on a free this summer though due to wage demands that exceed his ability.

11. Eoin Doherty - Eoin had a serious injury at the beginning of the season and spent the rest of the season getting over it. Did ok though.

14. Migen Toma - Migen was consistent once more and did a good job for the club. A mainstay in the squad now.

20. Nestor Lopez - Nestor was Balikci’s understudy once more but disappointed a little. Wanting to leave for more football, he may get his wish.

23. Everton - Brazilian winger signed when we had no LM pre-season, he did ok. Likely to be sold this summer.

24. Craig Hopkins - Craig had a good season, featuring mainly on the right wing this season. Another good squad player.

30. Logan Humbert - Logan joined mid-season and is a hot prospect for the future. Got a couple of cameo appearances when injuries told, he is one for the future.

36. Franco Zuculini - Franco was on a season loan from Hoffenheim as back-up and did ok when called on. Won’t be back though.

47. Gomes - joined on loan for the season, he did ok on the left wing and scored a couple of goals. Unlikely to be signed permanently this summer though.

Jose Luis - joined mid-season like Humbert, he is another exciting prospect.

Strikers

9. Daniel Axelsson - Daniel was my big signing of the summer challenged with scoring goals for the club. 22 goals in the league and 34 for the season overall showed what a signing it was. Named as signing of the season in the Bundesliga.

10. Vladislav Scherbakov - Vladislav was put in the shade a little by Axelsson but had another good season. I have a good strikeforce now.

12. Armando Hidalgo - Armando was mainly a sub this season but is young and is still developing.

29. Edvin Topic - Edvin played a little more this season and scored a few goals. His future is in doubt though.

61. Helder - The Portugese youngster was initially unhappy at being a squad player but calmed down as the season progressed. I like him still and he could be a good player for us.

Finances

A good season financially, thanks to European competition and our league performances. We have never been better financially.

The Future

What for the coming season? Having made it back into 3rd and the best placed play-off for the champions league, I am optimistic with a few signings we may make it through to the group stage. If we fail I will take another crack at the Europa League. Hopefully we can have another title push next season, and this is what I am aiming for.

Career History

Season      League        Pos.    German Cup  Europe     Achievements
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2012/13   3rd Division    12th     N/A         N/A      
2013/14   3rd Division    2nd      N/A         N/A        Promotion
2014/15   2nd Division    3rd    1st Round     N/A        Lost in Play-offs
2015/16   2nd Division    3rd    3rd Round     N/A        Lost in Play-offs again
2016/17   2nd Division    2nd    3rd Round     N/A        Promotion
2017/18   Bundesliga      12th   3rd Round     N/A
2018/19   Bundesliga      3rd    2nd Round     N/A        Champions Leage Qualification!
2019/20   Bundesliga      3rd    1st Round   EUro Semi    Europa League Semi-finalists

That is an excellent season rlipscombe :thup:

Axelsson looks a great signing.

As for Europe - what a pity you couldn't get past Spartak Moscow - especially after beating arguably two (or three) better sides in previous rounds! Sounds like it was a nail-biting finish to the league campaign, very nice work sneaking back into 3rd - let's hope you progress through the CL qualifying rounds this year - not that the bank balance requires the added income! :eek:

Quick question - you have a section for the German Cup but nothing in it. Does that reflect the importance (or lack thereof) that you place on the competition? :p

150px-Usnovese.png

End of Season Report - Novese - 2023/24 (Season 12) - Serie B

Serie B -

9th

Building on last year's 7th place finish would always be difficult but I still expected a top half finish.

New arrivals meant six wins in nine games and a positive start. We had blips - of course, but by and large (aside from Varese) we held our own in the division.

January rocked us a little as Sidi Dianessy was sold over my head for £2.5m. Though, in truth, I'd have accepted that anyway. So we were a bit light at the back for the remainder of the season. Nonetheless we found our form in February and March to make headway in the division. The mother of all injury crises halted us unfortunately and we wound up finishing 9th, just shy of the playoffs again.

Looking at the overall picture of the league - this was the first Serie B season that had eight teams reach 70+ points. So we did well and in another campaign would have finished top three. In fact, our 65 points this season was a two point improvement on last year's effort.

Results 1 | Results 2

The Cups:

We dealt with Albinoleffe in the 2nd qualifying round but came unstuck at home to big spending Virtus Lanciano. This meant we missed out on a glamour tie with AC Milan in the next round - very annoying!

Key Men

Ricardo Tantardini (D/MC) - the longest serving man at the club took his appearances into the 400's for us this campaign. He is far from the most talented and barely played until the new year, but when he did he showed superb form and the leadership expected from the club captain.

Robert Stroh (D/WBL) - the German wing-back signed an extension at the end of a good campaign. He's a very talented defender and a good servant.

Christophe Carpentier (DC) - the French centre-back completed a good second season for us but is sadly heading back to his homeland after refusing to sign a new contract. Shame but worth paying tribute to a solid defender.

Mario Kung (MC) - the Swiss midfielder enjoyed a great season this year in the heart of the midfield and was an almost ever-present. Added goals to his usual creative nature.

Gustavo Mesquita (AML/ST) - Argentinian import played the majority of the year up front and barring a few injuries did well as our target man. He was signed for £2k and contributed a decent 10 goals. Hoping for more next year.

David Nicolini (AMC/ST) - our academy product featured plenty of times both off the bench and from the off. 28 games as a 16-year-old is possibly a bit intense but I feel he can handle it. 5 goals showed his promise too. Looking forward to seeing how his next few years transpire.

Squad Stats

Finances

Club Information

Objectives Complete?

• Top half finish

Success! Just about.

• Build a youthful future

Success. David Nicolini's emergence along with Vidovic and a host of new arrivals continues my mantra of building youthful squads

• Get a cup run going

Failed. Would have been great to beat Virtus Lanciano and set up a tie with Milan but wasn't to be.

New Objectives:

• Top half finish
  • Get a cup run going
  • Continue youth development

Another good campaign and one that gives hope for the coming season. I will still target a top half finish as we're not yet fully set up for a good run for promotion. Signing young promising prospects continues to be the best hope of reaching that stage.

Joining us in Serie B this season are: Udinese, Bari, Ascoli (from Serie A) and Venezia, Sassuolo, Ternana and Taranto (from Serie C1).

Seasonal Best Eleven

Overall Best Eleven

That is an excellent season rlipscombe :thup:

Axelsson looks a great signing.

As for Europe - what a pity you couldn't get past Spartak Moscow - especially after beating arguably two (or three) better sides in previous rounds! Sounds like it was a nail-biting finish to the league campaign, very nice work sneaking back into 3rd - let's hope you progress through the CL qualifying rounds this year - not that the bank balance requires the added income! :eek:

Quick question - you have a section for the German Cup but nothing in it. Does that reflect the importance (or lack thereof) that you place on the competition? :p

it was REALLY frustrating the Moscow game... When i drew Marseille i knew i had Moscow or another 'easy' team in the semi and i kind of thought i could reach the final but we shot ourselves in the foot. REALLY ANNOYED! Axelsson is quality - already rejected an offer over £10 million from Aston Villa for him... As for the German Cup, i forgot what we did, although i am sure we crashed out in 1st round. going to update it later....

As for Novese, solid season there. seem settled as a Serie B club. shame you couldn't get milan...

A couple of really solid seasons there Rlips & Iacovone, good to see the core members still here and working towards completions. I am still trucking along in Parla, halfway through the Liga Adelante season and just realised I hadn't updated since the end of the last season, but think I will just keep going this season and include a transfers update in the end of year one putting it altogether, having a fairly enjoyable season this year, though we did have to sell a few more players during the year, Ricardo (My star Left Back) had to leave as he wouldn't even discuss a contract so I put him on the block and got 1M + future profit clause so that could be well worth it. He has been replaced by Wagner who is not quite as good, but very solid. I also rejigged my right side as a new Russian defender and Spanish/Portuguese winger are now running that side, looking like a good team as I push towards promotion. Other than that all I am saying is I am in the title race this year.

Vikeologist’s 2025/2026 End of Season Report

Lodoftheshire.png

1559.png

Season             League            Pos           Cups                      Europe     Award
2012/13            Sc Div 3          1st           No comment                n/a        Manager of the Year
2013/14            Sc Div 2          1st           Challenge Cup Finalists   n/a        Manager of the Year
2014/15            Sc Div 1          3rd           CC Winners & SC Final     qual       None
2015/16            Sc Div 1          2nd           CC & SC Winners, LC R/U   EC 3Q      Manager of the Year
2016/17            Sc Div 1          1st           Challenge Cup Winners     EC 4Q      Manager of the Year
2017/18            Sc Prem           5th           LC Final                  qual       None
2018/19            Sc Prem           7th           LC Winners                EC R2      Manager of the Year 
2019/20            Sc Prem           1st           SC Winners, LC R/U        n/a        Manager of the Year
2020/21            Sc Prem           1st           SC & LC Winners           EC Winners Manager of the Year
2021/22            Sc Prem           1st           SC Winners                cc Q/F     Manager of the Year
2022/23            Sc Prem           1st           LC R/U                    CC R1      Manager of the Year 
2023/24            Sc Prem           1st           LC R/U, SC Winners        CC R1      Manager of the Year
2024/25            Sc Prem           1st           SC R/U                    CC Q/F     Manager of the Year
2025/26            Sc Prem           1st           SC, LC                    CC Q/F     None

League records

Category    Record     We Achieved
Points      103        103                      
Goals       132        148                       
Goalscorer  35         33   

League

Squad

Transfers

We lost in the quarter finals of the Champions League to Barcelona, on away goals.

Domestically things went well. We won the league by 38 points. We smashed the season record for goals, equalled the points record, won both the cups. Despite all this, Celtic won the UEFA Cup, so their guy is the manager of the year. Our main goalscorer fell 2 short of his record. 33 goals seems quite good until you realise that he started every game but one, and we did score 148 as a team. Our legandary goalscorer Kristan Rowberry probably would have got the record fairly easily if I'd played him in the first half of the season, but he was coming back from a major injury and my coaches assure me he's now only the 6th best striker with 2 stars. I reinstated him after Christmas and he was as lethal as ever in the league, though maybe I will start our more skillful forwards in the Champions League.

Here's the Premier Division Team of the Season, which is entirely us. I've never had a team do that before. I loaned some players to 2 of our feeder clubs which made the crucial difference and resulted in promotion and safety, so now I have 3 Division 1 feeders.

One of our strikers, an Argentinian, is now a Scottish striker. He's had a major injury as well (a constant problem with our strikers) but he'll easily get into the Scottish side once he's recovered, if he accepts the call up. I have a couple of young Scottish midfielders in the squad, who would probably be word class if given more games, but the 2 starters are world class and seemingly indestructable.

Basically, constant and impressive success all round if you ignore the tiny matter of screwing the pooch in the Champions league, which unfortunately is the only thing that counts.

The key problem on the horizon is that our gaolkeeper only has year left on his contract, and he's not going to re-sign. We have some developing backups, but I'm hgoing to keep him for the last year and probably lose him on a free, rather than get money for him now. We don't need the money. We need him. Besides, we don't have anyone to buy, (there is nobody on my shortlist interested in any position). The team are still improving. We've lost one league match each of the last 2 seasons, so hopfully we can have an undefeated season. Given that we won 22 games in a row, a perfect league season is a real possibility.

rlips - Could season there. PSG are a tough team to face in the qualifying round.

iacovone - He looks stunning. Have you tried everything, weird transfers clauses? Sometimes something can be done! And Nicolini looks like he should have a great future at the club.

vikeologist - Amazing dominance in Scotland, I just feel you need a slightly kind draw in the CL and you could be onto a completion.

Archived