FM12 Big Euro Nation: Small Club to Big Club Challenge

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I failed to make the Champions League Knockouts because a Linesman was too fat to run the line and made a bad call. He called Montiquin offside, he was clearly on, replays with lines showed he was on, that goal would've made the 1:2 loss, a 2:2 draw meaning we tied with CSKA, both games between us were 2:2 so my goal diff being better would've seen me through. I want to know who gave him a gold watch?

According to the news article afterwards, "He made the correct decision" and I have been warned...? Replays clearly showed him onside at the time of the pass, this is horrendous...

That is harsh LLR, got to hate those Russian gas and oil magnates befriending the officials!

Oh well, we will continue our battle on other fronts, first game at our newly expanded stadium saw us beat Getafe 4-1 in front of 26,000 screaming fans. Jesus Montiquin scored a brace in his 150th league game for Parla. And now we have the Christmas break before we face Villareal in the Spanish Cup. The league sees us sitting 6th, 11pts behind Real Madrid in 1st. Basic table as below:

Team         Pts
R.Madrid      43
Barcelona     38
At.Madrid     35
Granada       33 (Game in Hand)
Betis         32
[color=#0000cd][b]Parla         32[/b][/color]

I am actually reasonably happy with that position, and the closeness to the top given 9 of the 17 games have been played by my 2nd XI.

I am thinking my Top team will now play the league, unless I see an easy league game, and a chance at the title in the Europa League, also depends on the Spanish Cup run and who I am facing there as well. Well it started about 4-5 seasons ago Granada started to turn it around, in real life they were promoted 2009/10 to Liga Adelante and then straight to Liga BBVA in 2010/11, and then survived in 17th. Pretty similar in my game, they survived, then were relegated two seasons later, won the title and came straight back up. Seem to be a reasonably strong squad, not sure if there was a take over, but they have been strong for a while. They are still a feeder club to Udinese, but don't seem to have received any players from them this season.

Sorry if I'm being gullible LLR but can you do lines on a replay or were you being funny? I've never noticed that, I'm goin to start using it and giving the officials dogs abuse!

I don't know how to make them appear, but sometimes when they do a replay of offside it shows flashing lines, one in the colour of your team, one the colour of the opposition, in this case the lines showed him onside. :) I wish I could put them there myself lol.

Well I very nearly lost Ostergaard in the January window, Barcelona came in and offered his release fee, as such it was accepted immediately. I had to offer him a large new contract (12k per week) to keep him, but it has made his release clause 20M now, and if anyone offers that I will probably let him go as my young turkish player could replace him if necessary.

I remember seeing Ostergaard as a young 17 yr old, he looked very promising, I'm glad he's obviously fulfilled his promise if Barcelona were sniffing around him. I always try and avoid minimum fee release clauses they drive me insane. All my top players have £100m asking price, and whilst there's plenty clubs interested, I never get a bid, so I'm quite happy with that.

Just got this season's youth intake, nothing mind blowing but a couple of players worth a mention.

Firstly, Recep Alici - a young French/Turkish right back rated at 3 star potential.

And Charles Modeste, of French/Martinique nationality, a defensive mid, with already impressive technical attributes, just need to beef him up physically, but he looks to be pretty decent. May sign 1 or 2 others just to bulk u u19 squad, but nothing else really exciting there.

Hired a Uruguayan & Serbian scouts earlier this year, so I guess that's why I've got those nationalities represented.

Great to keep Ostergaard around, always nice to see when a pplayer decides to stay instead of moving to a big club. aldojags, unfortunately I dont think release clauses are optional in Spain, but are contractual and depend on the wage the player is earning. I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am wrong LLR.

I didnt have such a nice story recently at Hacettepe, my best player on paper Mohammed Al-Sallal has a very annoying agent who rejected any offer I made straight away. With one year left on his contract and 5 days before the window shut I decided to offer Mohammed around with a replacement already in line. He was valued at € 1.2 M, so I was disappointed to only get 200k bids for him even though there was lots of interest. I kept him on and decided to just let him go on a free at the end of the season. However, his performances hadnt been great at the start of the season and I spotted a good Egyptian available on a Bosman who would arrive in December should I decide to sign him. I thought sod it, went for it and offered Mohammed around seeing as I wouldnt be able to accommodate so many foreigners in my side. I was pleasently surprised to get 500k offers, still well below his valuation but it ll do.

EDIT: aldojags - a couple of decent players there, I like the look of Modest. Alici is already better than my current RB, our problem position for the last couple of years, a loan would be appreciated :D

I would if I could corinthiano! Plus he already speaks Turkish with it being his 2nd nationality, so he'd be ideal for loan to Hacettepe!

I think Modest may be a bit of a prima donna though! He's now on youth contract, I went to offer him a pre-contract so he turns professional on his 16th birthday. I always drop the players demands, and maybe cut out one of the clauses if they're asking for it, like yearly wage rise. I didn't do that much damage to his wage, only dropped it by about £200, and he opted out of the negotiations right away! So I'll give him a month to calm down then go back. I'm always keen to get the younger players signed up quickly on professional terms so no-one can come and steal them, I'd only get a few quid compo. Marseille are usually making bids fairly on for my youth team players, past 2 seasons they come in right away with offers of £1m for example, so I'll try and get these guys signed up quick.

I do the same too, offer out a professional deal straight away. I tend to drop the yearly wage rise unless they walk out of negotiations a couple of times and agree to double their wage after 20 appearances for the first team.

How often do you guys "rest all players"?

My training schedules are the highest part of medium you can get. And the games have been coming thick and fast recently with Europa League along with domestic games, and a few injuries are creeping into the squad, so an international break came up there, we had 2 weeks until next game, so I gave them all a week off.

I do this quite regularly, what about you guys?

As corinthiano has said, it seems almost compulsory to have minimum release fees in Spain. I don't know if they must be part of it, but I cannot get rid of them with any player who is good enough. So I am generally lifting their wage demands so as to increase the minimum release clause and removing all other clauses. It means I can end up with some large wages, but avoiding most release clauses, at the time I signed Ostergaard he was worth not much.

As for Rest, I use it on any players that will be playing a game less than 6 days later, to make sure they will get back to fitness. With the rotation this season, there has been a lot less of it. I also use it when a player is coming back from injury, I feel they put them back into training too early, so I put them on rest for a week from the day they go orange INJ, and this seems to bring them back better off.

Just saw this in the GD and thought it could be an interesting discussion in here as well:

How Much did you Pay for your Top 22 Players, and how much are they now Worth?

AD Parla 2024/25 (Liga BBVA Runners-up)

|-----|---------------------|--------|--------|
| Pos | Name                |  Fee   | Value  |
|  GK | Dario Zaragoza      |  Free  | €4.30M | 
|  RB | Soren Ostergaard    |  Free  | €3.00M |
|  CB | Kevin de Man        | €5.25M | €8.25M |
|  CB | Juan Carlos Sanchez |  Free  | €8.50M |
|  LB | Zdenek Moravec      | €0.40M | €4.70M |
|  CM | Ercan Yildirim      |  Free  | €4.00M |
|  CM | Bife                | €1.30M | €3.30M |
|  RW | Besik Gabelia       | €0.14M | €2.80M |
|  AM | Christophe Legendre |  Free  | €2.70M |
|  LW | John Keiffer        | €2.00M | €2.60M |
|  ST | Jesus Montiquin     | €1.30M | €2.20M |
|  S1 | Ramzan Voronov      |  Free  | €0.55M |
|  S2 | Mehmet Comaktekin   | €1.70M | €2.10M |
|  S3 | Liam Parry          |  Free  | €4.70M |
|  S4 | Phil Wills          |  Free  | €2.00M | 
|  S5 | Andrey Agapov       | €5.75M | €5.25M |
|  S6 | Stephane Ireke      | €4.50M | €4.80M |
|  S7 | Giulliano Lori      |  Free  | €1.50M |
|  S8 | Ondrej Linhart      |  €65k  | €3.30M |
|  S9 | Antonio Jesus Sola  | €9.00M | €9.00M |
| S10 | Jacques Nangis      | €1.90M | €1.60M |
| S11 | Amirudin Delalic    | €1.20M | €2.90M |

Total Paid:  €34.505M Average: €1.57M
Total Value: €83.050M Average: €3.78M 
Total Gain:  €48.545M Average: €2.21M 

Well I have to say I am surprised at how little I actually spent on my starting XI, even since de Man knocked Parry out of the starting team, I only spent 10.39 million Euros on those 11 players. I have to say I have built this squad over a few years, if I had included my next eleven players there is a bit more money spent, but now that I am competing I am spending a bunch of money on the future of the club to try and guarantee our future as a top club.

Just saw this in the GD and thought it could be an interesting discussion in here as well:

Thread I made. :brock:

LLR - That is interesting, I'd have joined in with mine, but my youth players totally skew the results as there are only three signed players in the first team now!

Youth players skewing the results is fine, when I started the same thread last year I was bringing through a lot of youth players at Roma as well.

This is a crackin spot LLR great idea. I'm bosman crazy so I'll be interested to see my results...

How Much did you Pay for your Top 22 Players, and how much are they now Worth?

ES Viry-Chatillon (Ligue 1)

| Pos | Name                |  Fee   | Value  |
|  GK | Jimmy Lynch      |  Free  | £3.00m | 
|  RB | Andrew O'Neill    |  Free  | £2.70M |
|  CB | Nathaniel Chalobah        | Free | £4.0M |
|  CB | Karl Thorpe |  Free  | £4.60M |
|  LB | Cedric Hue      | Free | £3.50M |
|  DM | John Larrson      |  Free  | £4.70M |
|  CM | Ali Jelassi                | Free | £10.75M |
|  CM | Pituca       | £5.75m | £6.75M |
|  AM | Oneil Tatlot |  Free  | £10.50M |
|  ST | Tony Champion        | Free | £6.25M |
|  ST | Mattia Panagelli    | Free | £4.50M |
|  S1 | Muralha      |  £1.7m  | £1.7M |
|  S2 | Safoun Saidi   | Free | £2.80M |
|  S3 | Mahmoud Rabie          |  £575k  | £1.60M |
|  S4 | Jimmy Donaldson         |  Free  | £2.60M | 
|  S5 | Dalibor Ladic       | Free | £1.40M |
|  S6 | Raul Gil      | Free | £3.00M |
|  S7 | Darko Borozan      |  £575k  | £3.40M |
|  S8 | Andy McMahon      |  Free  | £3.50M |
|  S9 | Daniel Sedlacek  | Free | £2.30M |
| S10 | Mondor Kessou      | Free | £2.30M |
| S11 | Ilan Roger    | Free | £2.70M |

Total Paid:  £8.60M Average: £390,909
Total Value: £88.55M Average: £4.02M 
Total Gain:  £79.95M Average: £3.63M 

I was expecting results like this, I very rarely pay big money for someone unless they are special, like Pituca :thup: I always wait until Jan and get lots of pre-contracts on decent young players and build them up. To think I got Jelassi and Tatlot for free is amazing. France are ranked 2nd in World, and they 2 are their 2 central mids, I'm delighted with them.

edit:sorry it's a bit of a mess I tried copying the code from LLR

also just noticed prdh saying about his youth players - I don't have as many as him but in that list Donaldson and Roger came through my ranks so that may skew the results like prdh said

AND can I also throw in...£390,000 a head is quite good for a squad THAT HAS JUST WON LIGUE 1!!! YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

will try and get review up tonight, prob more likely tomorrow! What a nervous night it has been but it's all over with a game to spare!

Hahahaha, hmmm I dunno about that! Who would have thought a computer game could put you through these emotions. Been playin fm all day, this morning I was end of Jan, had a 12 point lead over Lyon, then they went on a horrendous run, but out of nowhere PSG, who started season awful, put together a dream run, over took me by 2 points, but they then lost a game and drew a game in succession, I took advantage, and won the league away to Rennes.

edit: your all invited as my guests of honor to the trophy ceremony after our last game of season at home to Lorient!

Also have just noticed, but it looks like I might make it to a full first XI of different Nationalities, if/when Lapin or Delalic overtake Montiquin as the best striker in my team. My current line-up:

|-----|---------------------|--------|---------|
| Pos | Name                | Nation | 2nd Nat |
|  GK | Dario Zaragoza      |  ARG   |  None   | 
|  RB | Soren Ostergaard    |  DEN   |  None   | 
|  CB | Kevin de Man        |  NED   |  None   | 
|  CB | Juan Carlos Sanchez |  MEX   |   CAN   | 
|  LB | Zdenek Moravec      |  CZE   |  None   | 
|  CM | Ercan Yildirim      |  TUR   |  None   | 
|  CM | Bife                |  BRA   |   AUT   | 
|  RW | Besik Gabelia       |  GEO   |  None   | 
|  AM | Christophe Legendre |  FRA   |  None   | 
|  LW | John Keiffer        |  BEL   |  None   | 
|  ST | Jesus Montiquin     |  ARG   |   ESP   | 

And only Montiquin is Listed as Spanish here, Bife is also Spanish, not shown here. I suppose I am a little disappointed with this, but I can't find Spanish players as good as my foreigners for cheap enough.

prdh it was yourself who had the guy descazals from Djibtoui wasn't it? I think this may be his younger brother!? Thinkin of signing this guy, got a few quid now I've won the league, don't want to get carried away and sign too many players then my youngsters don't get a chance. But I need to be able to compete on lots of fronts next season so will need a squad of 25 quality players.

LLR - that is surely a very international team, I remember having the same problem in my Real save, I almost had no Portuguese players in the squad because foreign players were available at such a lower prize. This is why I think I am enjoying Turkey a bit more, in the Süper Lig you can have a maximum of 6 foreign players in you first XI and 8 in the match day squad. Whilst finding good Turkish players is tough when compared to what is available outside the country, it at least guarantees that some part of the team remains local, keeping a bit more of the identity I suppose.

aldojags - 10 M like that is awesome to get, will surely help out! You must be loaded now you have won Ligue 1 though, right? How are your finances?

Over at Hacettepe it has been a good season so far, we are in the fight for European qualification, although it is very tight at the moment. A top 5 finish will guarantee Europe next season, 6th will do as well depending on the Cup winner, which wont be us as Galatasaray just knocked us out in the quarters. Our league form has been strong though so I am hopeful we can finish in the top 5.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the important bit, we are 4th at the half way stage :D

Aldojags- Congratulations on winning ligue 1 and I'm sure you will complete the challenge in the next few seasons. I have to give credit to you for not just spending loads of money on big name players and walking the league and champions league. 8.60 million for a ligue 1 winning squad is just incredible! you have made some great transfers. Good luck winning the champions league and I really hope you will give my challenge a crack after you have completed this.

Congrats aldojags! Great achievement. Time for the Champions League. Hope you don't have as long between first league title and European success as I did! Oh, and yeah, Descazals was my player (now sub-standard youth coach, but you can't let a man with more than 600 appearances go hungry can you...). He's a good player!

Man its hard to keep the motivation, I dont know how you guys can be in your 30th season! you's are incredible!! Im gonna have to start again. Any leagues to recommend having a crack at?

Scrap that im giving Germany a try, and im going to try and keep you all updated as the rules state. Bear with me though cause im new!!!

Welcome aboard Cameronross, good luck in Germany, and I agree with Corinthiano, patience is needed, but you can look for other things as well. Whether it is the next big youth prospect, getting a record with your striker. Doing better than the year before, or even just targeting one particular player and getting him into the squad. I also find sharing stuff with everyone in here really keeps me going, and reading their stories as well as the support i get for my own.

Corinthiano - It is a bit frustrating, because I believe it is also causing the downfall of the Spanish National side as they are 27th in the world, and not been above 15th in 5+ years now. I think that might be an aim for me, see if I can bring through some good players of my own and put them in the National Side.

My Best Spanish Players (Original Team): Antonio Jesus Sola (Betis), Idriss (Malaga), Cesar (Parla), Borja (Parla), Juan Carlos Granero (Parla), The Rest.

My Best Naturalised Spaniards: Jose Frietas, Jesus Montiquin, Bife (All of these will not play for France)

Not much to start with, but it is something. Sola at least is good enough, hopefully I can get some reasonable prospects in March and train them up. I might also look out for some other Spanish Prospects, because Madrid & Barca aren't helping (Starter has 10+ apps at halfway stage):

R.Madrid = 3 Naturalised Starters, 0 Born Spaniards

Barcelona = 5 Naturalised Starters, 0 Born Spaniards

At.Madrid = 1 Naturalised Starter, 1 Born Spaniard (All are Spanish Capped, 3 Spaniards with 9 starts)

Granada = 2 Naturalised Starters, 3 Born Spaniards (All are Spanish Capped)

Betis = 3 Naturalised Starters, 3 Born Spaniards (1 Naturalised is Spanish Capped)

So in the top 6 sides in Spain (Including Parla) there are only 12 Spanish Eligible players starting on a regular basis. This is quite disappointing, and does explain to me why we have a national side falling apart. This sets a plan in place for me now.

cameronross - Yeah, I'm with corinthiano, it's the squad developing that keeps me interested too. Good luck in Germany, hope you can keep going and you get some success.

LLR - What's the domestic bias in the league over all? For a long time the Portuguese side have been pretty poor and we've now got 40% of the players in the league being Portuguese. My team, for a comparison, is now 82% but the national team is still rubbish!

Ramon Ramirez's

Real Massama

2018/2019

Recap

realscmassama.gif

Liga Vitalis

Media Prediction: 14th

Board Expectation: Top Half Finish

My Target: Promotion

Season Aims:

Promotion :thdn:

Score at least 50 :thdn: 35

Concede at most 35 :thup: 32

Table (Graph) | Squad | Transfers | Fixtures (1 | 2)

Liga Vitalis:

This season we were looking to build upon last season's momentum and finally achieve promotion. We started the season very well, and by the end of december we were on the promotion race, and on a 7 game unbeaten streak. In January, Bakayoko went to play in the African Cup of Nations and left Real with no keeper. I had to scramble on the transfer market to get an awful keeper on loan. Needless to say we broke the streak and went on a losing streak. I was hoping for Ivory Coast to be kicked out of the tournament soon, but they won it instead. After Bakayoko's return, we got back on our feet, but the matches we had lost revealed themselves crucial for our final position.

Taca de Portugal:

Once again we went all the way to quarter-finals in the Portuguese Cup, and eventually lost to Nacional da Madeira (3-1) on extra time. It was a very good run, and I was sad we lost on the way we did –they tied the game on the 89th minute. On our way to the quarter finals we beat Fayal (4-0), Lamego (6-0), Rio Ave on penalties(0-0), Moreirense (4-0), and Pacos Ferreira (1-0).

Portuguese League Cup:

Ended last in the 1st phase with a (0W-3L) record. Not much else to point out about this one.

New Players:

ST: Sliwinski A young striker I brought in as a backup for Gallo, because of Melgarejo's injury. He ended up entering in a rotation system, and put up some impressive displays.

MC: Buick A talented midfielder, whom I snatched from Cruzeiro. He joined during the January transfer window, and made some played a few games. He will definitely play way more next season, though.

Note: The rest of the team was basically the same as last season, no big changes.

Future:

Next season I'll try once again to be promoted. Hopefully the guys will be mature enough, and the new center back I signed will make a difference.

Aims:

Promotion

Score at least 45

Concede less than 35

LLR - What's the domestic bias in the league over all? For a long time the Portuguese side have been pretty poor and we've now got 40% of the players in the league being Portuguese. My team, for a comparison, is now 82% but the national team is still rubbish!

Well seems my club is 32% and the league is 48% (Forgot I could check that). I really think this is something that needs some sort of work in Football Manager, the transfer policy of clubs, though maybe the problem relates to quality of players in active leagues vs non-active, not sure what the issue actually is, might do some experimenting and see what the issue is.

Wowser! Just rolled up in Madrid for the Champions League 1st Rd 1st Leg. Wondered whether my team could compete shorn of so many international stars. I shouldn't have worried. We won 0-5 which puts me in a decent position for the second leg!

Città di Pontedera

41592_115445231838970_4900_n.jpg

Pre-season 2018/19

After our surprising Serie-A title last season I am now hoping we can consolidate our position among the top teams in Italy. As our chase for the title last season was greatly helped by the fact that the other top teams had horrible seasons, I think it will be harder this year. Many of the top teams have splashed out record transfer fees and the league will contain many interesting new players this season. We are predicted at 9th, but I think we might be able to get in the top 4 once again unless CL-football totally destroys us.

First-team Squad

Goalkeepers:

Sergio* - Arrived for 3k£ in 2014, when we were playing in Serie C1. He has kept his place in the first XI since then, rarely having a bad game. A club legend.

Damien Launay – Arrived on a free from Nancy in 2017. Played a few cup games last season, but was mainly stationed in the u-19 team. I am looking to loan him out and bring in an older backup as he needs playing time to develop further. Dubbed the new Joel Bats.

Full-backs:

Riccardo Agresti – Arrived this summer (2018) for 400k£ from Empoli. He is going to be used as backup in the DR and DC positions.

Kamil Jalocha* - Arrived for 635k£ from polish side Lechia in 2017. Played almost every game last season and was very consistent. Both Tottenham and Arsenal have made enquiries about him but he is going nowhere.

Asmir Alickovic - Arrived on a free from Bayern in the summer of 2017. Solid, but not quite as solid as Jalocha is on the right.

Marcello Martinelli – Arrived on a free this summer from Juventus. Currently backup, but might overtake Alickovic if he improves as rapidly as he has done since his arrival.

Central Defenders:

Jorge Soares – Arrived in 2013 when we were still playing in Serie C2. He has been developing nicely along with the clubs promotions, but I think he might be peaking soon. Anyway he is a club legend!

Leonardo Wehrli* – Arrived on a free from Young Boys in 2017. He had an amazing first season with us and scored 13 goals in 38 league games. His attributes isn’t the best but he is really solid and is attracting interest from Premier League clubs.

Pedro Brito* - Arrived this summer for 2,5m£ from River. An amazing talent already dubbed the new Daniel Passarella and described as a wonderkid. Even scored on his debut against Inter!

Jaroslav Tichy Arrived this summer for 1,5m£ from Bristol City. My scouts went nuts when they discovered this guy. I am hoping that his great working rate paired with his professional personality will result in a good development.

Defensive Midfielders:

Stanislav VavrikArrived on a free from Slovakian side Nitra in 2017. Handy player as he can play DC, DMC and MC. He played a few games last season and developed nicely. Good at winning the ball and a distributing it.

Giuseppe FioraniArrived this summer for 2m£ from Empoli. He is an awesome talent and I am just waiting for him to be labeled the next Andrea Pirlo, which I think will describe his style of play nicely.

Valentino Flavi Arrived in 2016 for 600k£ from Frosinone. He is a real consistent player who rarely misses a game. He has a great personality and is describes as a wonderkid. Hopefully the Fiorani – Flavi duo will serve my Pontedera team in many years to come, and perhaps also the Italian national side.

Central, Attacking Midfielders:

Koen KosterArrived in the winter of 2016 for 450K£ from Antwerp. Has huge potential , but I don’t think he will fulfill it unless his attitude changes. Hopefully I will succeed in loaning him out.

Pavel Georgiev*Arrived last summer for 6,5m£ from AZ Alkmaar. A real solid midfielder with amazing mental attributes. Started really badly after the transfer, but he picked up and managed 13 assists in 30 games last season. Described as a wonderkid.

David Lopez Montana* Arrived in the winter of 2016 for 70k£ from U.D Logrones. He is a smart and creative playmaker with good physique also.

Wingers:

Uche Opara* - Arrived in the summer of 2016 for 3,5m£ from E.S Setif. Uche is an extraordinary player. He is almost impossible to stop and is making fun of almost every left back in the league. I imagine there is a lot of Opara-shirts among our fans.

Jean-Marie MarchettiArrived this summer for 2,5m£ from Monaco. As my chairman sold my previous left winger to Roma over my head for 4m£, I needed a replacement. Marchetti’s attributes is almost identical to the winger I lost to Roma .

Jeroen Ouwerkerk Arrived this summer on loan from AZ Alkmaar. Backup.

Strikers:

Alessandro Pieroni* - Arrived on a free in the summer of 2015 from Frosinone. This wonderkid is already a legend for us, and is still labeled the new Christian Vieri. So far I have succeeded in fighting off his chasing clubs, hoping he will stay loyal to us.

Emmanuelle FerrariArrived on a free in the summer of 2015 from Forli. He is a very talented poacher, but he still had a horrible season last year. I have tweaked the tactic to suit him better with Pieroni as his partner, hoping this season he will do better.

Ante Grgic - Arrived in the winter of 2018 for 825k£ from Hajduk. I brought in this guy to give Ferrari competition for the poacher role.

Augustin Martin Martin Arrived this summer on loan from Stuttgart. Mainly backup, but I feel he could really become a cracking player.

As you can see, my squad is very young. I am now trying not to sign anyone unless they are free in an attempt to try and boost the clubs facilities instead of spending money on transfer fees. We are also moving into our new stadium named “Lippi Stadium” next summer, named after club legend Marcello Lippi of course.

During the preseason I have also experimented with a new formation and it is going really well so far, with us beating Inter 3-0 in the Supercup-Final.

The formation

3-2-3-2

I wonder what I will do with my full-backs if I settle for this formation. Perhaps I could retrain them to become defensive wingers.

Città di Pontederas under me: History + Trophies

aldojags - congrats on your first Ligue 1 title... good luck in the CL next season

cameronross - it can be a bit of a slog but the rewards are worth it. good luck in germany - a league i manage in and am enjoying.

Missed out on Europe in the last league game of the season due to a 89th minute winner in another game. Gutted as we had been in European positions all season, but I am encouraged as we really have settled well in the Süper Lig and with some additions to the squad could make a bigger impact next season. A report will come sometime in t eh next 3-4 days as I am quite busy with work this week.

Once again it's that time of the year again:

7000008.png

Lusitânia Açores - Youth Intake - 2041

Well if last year was the year of the defensive midfielder, it appears this time out my youth coaches have been concentrating on full backs. The top four prospects all feel most at home on the flanks of the defence, and three of them on the right. The full intake looks a little like this, not the best, but by no means the worst that could have come through. Time for a more in-depth look at the top prospects.

Shéu Sousa - defender (right) - 3.5-star potential - It's a position I've been crying out for, and here we - the joint top prospect emerges as a player born in Angra do Heroísmo itself and in this position. This is a good thing. In terms of initial ability he finds most of his highest stats on the physical side, with pace and stamina at a level I'd be happy with already. Apart from that he has a decent base for improvement in his defensive abilities (you can just about tell which position he plays from his stats). High hopes for this lad, he's definitely the best home produced right back at the club, although last year's top player Duarte is close to completing his positional transition. With two home grown players showing for this position, I will be tempted to get rid of the current incumbent Pesic sooner rather than later now.

António Reis - defender (left) - 3.5-star potential - Rated as having the same potential as Sousa and the one picked out by my assistant as having the potential to be 'one of the best players of his generation' but I am slightly unconvinced and rate Sousa as the superior talent. Also born on my island, though in Cardoso's home town of Vila Nova, he again has decent physical stats but he is technically a far weaker player. His determination is high, a good sign, and so I am willing to be proven wrong, but for now I'm dubious. Will hopefully develop into a good squad player, but at the moment I'm not convinced it'll be anything more.

Vasco Silva - defender (right) - 2.5-star potential - Another Azorean full back, but something of a step down in terms of potential with one star less than the previous players. Another to come through with decent physical stats, but realistically his technical stats are far below where I would expect a future starters to be at this point. Hopefully he can develop into a decent fringe player, but even that may be beyond him.

Mário Figueiredo - defender (right) - 2-star potential - Another born within shouting distance of the stadium but another step down in terms of potential. Interestingly I would rate him slightly higher than Silva. He has a better defensive base to work from though mentally he is weaker and will need to be tutored straight away to get the determination and other stats up. Probably won't make it, especially as there are now other right backs ahead in the queue, but will follow with interest.

Final assessment | This year's intake has addressed some needs within the squad, and I have reasonable expectations that Sousa may make it into the first team equation, but the rest, well, we'll see. None of the players are obvious stars as the likes of Cardoso and Vieira were, but then neither was Paulo and he's turned into a stunning player. Ultimately we won't be able to judge the class of '41 for a few years I suspect.

Archived