20 from 20

I had a thought that may be worth discussing and chastising OP about.

Does 20 out of 20 really define the best?

The easiest example is Messi. Does 20 for dribbling really tell us he's the best dribbler.There would be many other players with 20 who are almost certainly not quite as good.Of course, we can't have a 21, that'd be silly. But what else can be done in this numerical world to define this out of this world talent.

Potentially, something like 20star, of 20*. In the algoritms and ME it may act as say 21 we see it as 20 (star).

I'm really just commenting on the difficulty in defining a players talent numerically. He has other stats in the game which make him a great FM player but I'd love to see some thing that shows he is above all else.

20 is 'the best'. But comparing players is hard anyway. I mean, does dribbling really only rely on the attribute 'dribbling'? Probably. But in a match you don`t 'just' dribble. You also need to beat defenders standing in your way, which means it would come in handy if you`re proficient with 2 legs. That will make a huge difference if you compare 2 players who are equally good at dribbling. Flair is another important attribute in doing the unexpected, making it harder to predict what he will do; will he go left, right, lob the ball?

Acceleration also helps in getting a headstart by beating a defender by means of dribbling, just like technique might help in controlling the ball while dribbling.

What it boils down to is that it`s not quite as black and white as you might believe. The dribbling attribute is merely a statistic to indicate how good he is at dribbling, but in a match there are more aspects that determine how good someone is. If you combine those, you will see that he stands out.

This reminds me of This Is Spinal Tap, where the volume on their amps go up to eleven, believing it is one louder than the standard 10. The interviewer asks "Why not just make 10 louder?" which confuses Nigel and he just replies "These go to eleven."

I am actually impressed with how much restraint is shown when assigning attribute values to players. Even the best central defenders seem to max out at 15-18 out of 20 on the important attributes. I really like that about this game since it allows for separation among the elite.

This reminds me of This Is Spinal Tap, where the volume on their amps go up to eleven, believing it is one louder than the standard 10. The interviewer asks "Why not just make 10 louder?" which confuses Nigel and he just replies "These go to eleven."

hahahaha what an absolutely brilliant way to put it!! :D

what a film!!

I'm awed at the naiveness of the question. Games are inspired by real life, if you haven't been able to figure out it yet.

- Shaun Wright-Phillips is as fast as Messi but he is not the best dribbler. This world is so confusing :(

- Mm-kay.

Surely because if you make someone have 21, or 20*, then to differentiate between the players with that stat you need to create the stat 22, or 20**, and so on.

I don't really understand the point of the question. Yes, 20 is the best, because it's the best. Combine that with the other stats that complement dribbling and he is better, because his balance, acceleration etc is good. Someone with 1 pace & acceleration but 20 dribbling can only dribble slowly so isn't as good. Surely that's common sense????

There's an episode of Friends where Phoebe and Rachel are competing to be Monica's maid of honour. Joey and Ross decide to be judges and let the girls audition.

Joey: We'll pose you hypothetical maid of honour situations, and rate you on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the highest.

Ross: No, 10 is the highest.

Joey: Why is 10 the highest?

Ross: Because it's the highest.

Happy to be shot down in flames on this one, but I do remember in a previous version that, when using the FMRTE, I saw >20 for some stats on a few players.

I saw a couple of coaches with 21s in FM10 editor. I reported one of them but no one was interested, which was disappointing as I wanted to know what effect it would have in the game.

I'm awed at the naiveness of the question. Games are inspired by real life, if you haven't been able to figure out it yet.

- Shaun Wright-Phillips is as fast as Messi but he is not the best dribbler. This world is so confusing :(

- Mm-kay.

I am awed by the your profound lack of awareness.

I opened a discussion on a particular facet of the game. Through discussion, the game progresses forward, especially this game. Through discussion one knows what we don't want and what doesn't happen as well as what may indeed happen.

So working it out yet buddy?

So peole "out there" think of something, we discuss it, and we know we don't want it.

I raise the point that perhaps the absolute genious penalty taker, perhaps matty le Tissier, might have a 20 penalty taking stat, but perhaps its somehow also mentioned somewhere in his profile how good he was. Gained through experience. A note on his profile "Hasn't missed a penalty in 7 years" is just another idea.

Surely because if you make someone have 21, or 20*, then to differentiate between the players with that stat you need to create the stat 22, or 20**, and so on.

I don't really understand the point of the question. Yes, 20 is the best, because it's the best. Combine that with the other stats that complement dribbling and he is better, because his balance, acceleration etc is good. Someone with 1 pace & acceleration but 20 dribbling can only dribble slowly so isn't as good. Surely that's common sense????

There's an episode of Friends where Phoebe and Rachel are competing to be Monica's maid of honour. Joey and Ross decide to be judges and let the girls audition.

Joey: We'll pose you hypothetical maid of honour situations, and rate you on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the highest.

Ross: No, 10 is the highest.

Joey: Why is 10 the highest?

Ross: Because it's the highest.

I would never of thought I would see the day that Friends would be used has an example on here

Archived