Sports Interactive Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elgreenio

FM12 : Fulham FC Thread - Just Beat It

thinking of starting a new save with fulham... im a bit more clued up on potential signings now and think i can do good things at fulham :)

especially after seeing a particularly pleasing game with fulham on motd 2 on sunday... ruiz looks top class

i'm still very conscious of getting carried away with Ruiz. A few seasons ago we would have steered well clear, he's a bit of a luxury where previously we would have a Duff, Gera or Davies, all very pragmatic in their approach and you know what you'll get week-in week-out.

He's not very aggressive/physical and is still adjusting to that side of the English game, as well as never wearing boots that'll keep him upright for the whole game.

Real life aside, I must say I can't recall enjoying being Fulham anymore than I have on this years version of the game.

I just got the full game the other day elgreenio, and have fired up a new game with Fulham. At the beginning I sold Kelly, Halliche and Bjorn Helge Riise for a combined total 5.5 million. Signed Wilfried for 2.5m, Ben Amos on loan, James Forrest on loan and Kevin de Bruyne totalling 3.8 million.

So far, I am 11th in the Premier League with 4 games played. W1,D2,L1.

I have qualified into the Europa League Group Stages with relative ease, beating Cliftonville/Sarajevo/SV Reid and Ekranas over 2 legs comfortably. I have been drawn in Group A along with AZ Alkmaar, Lazio and Gaz Metan (Romanian team). Tough enough group, won't be easy in the away legs against Alkmaar and Lazio. Really hope I can progress.

My only real problem is Wilfried at the moment. He has 4 appearances and 0 goals. I am playing a 4-5-1 formation and I have been playing Wilfried as TM (a) upfront with target man supply mixed. What role should I change him to?

Great thread anyway guys, cheers for the help!

good stuff roesider. Who's James Forrest?

The other signings are all good, I messed up at the start of my game so De Bruyne wasn't in the database, he was going to be my first signing as well after seeing how little he could be had for in the demo.

That is a tough group, though hopefulyl you should sneak in with a result against Lazio or AZ, Lazio certainly aren't what they used to be and AZ could go either way, good luck.

I used to play Wilfried as an advanced forward, would have to look back at how well he started for me but I recall him missing a lot of one-on-ones in his time. Try to get him to learn 'tries to round the keeper' as that sorted his problem of hammering it 10 yards wide when through on goal.

how is everybody getting on? not letting this thread die :mad:. Screw christmas, get your FM on.

Shawcross is a great signing Slawbawn, though he's a stopper isn't he? Going to pair two stoppers together and have him with Hangeland?

Begovic another good signing, proven prem quality and should easily slot in for Schwarzer. Who's going to be your number 1 for now though?

Shawcross was a god send after I signed him. Started picking up clean sheets and he worked well with Hangeland. Think he may have been the difference between finishing in the top 3 or not.

Currently in the second season, approaching December and sitting in 3rd after a bit of a poor start but picked up now. I got a tidy transfer kitty of nearly £30m in the summer, God knows where the money came from :D. I'm risking putting the club into financial difficulties and using 48 month transfer payments. Signed Lucas Barrios, got Welbeck back on loan, signed Gary Cahill as a backup CB, Hamit Altintop (his versatility is insanely useful, recommended signing, even as a bit-part player), Christian Eriksen and Cabaye (sp) from Newcastle.

Begovic turned out to be a complete and utter waste of money. Both him and Schwarzer are gone which freed up a lot on the wage bill. I signed two pretty class keepers, although I can't remember their names now, so will update the past later on today when I get the chance to go on FM.

Managed to get a few players to lower their wages too or I'd have gone over. Damien Duff got two serious injuries, came back from one and two games later got another one, and decided to retire at the end of the last season. Signed him as a coach instead so that's 35k off the wage budget.

Sold players that I deemed surplus to requirements, but got some decent fee's for them.

Looking decent so far and expecting to finish top two in the league this season. Just smashed Cardiff City and Bristol City 7 - 0 and 6 - 1 respectively, and on a 7 match unbeaten streak in the league winning 5 in the progress.

Qualified from the champions league group stage. Extremely shocked, didn't expect to get anything out of it. Beat Inter 2 - 1 in the first game (was 1 - 0 down till the 86th minute or something :D), beat Sporting and I can't remember for the life of me who the other is. Got one game remaining which will determine whether or not I finish 1st or 2nd in the group. Hoping I finish second as I'd like to go a bit further for the extra revenue boost.

Stadium was also extended by around 5,000 seats. Keep nagging the board for a new one but no luck so far.

Another update on my Fulham save. On my game it is currently 16th December and I am sitting 9th in the Premier League with 22 points after 15 games played. (W6,D4,L5)

In the Europa League I was fortunate enough to qualify out of my group finishing second on 10 points. (W3,D1,L2) Lazio finished top of the group and beat me comfortably on both occasions. Glad to have made it out of the group though. Unfortunately, I have been drawn against one of the toughest teams. I have been drawn against Sevilla. :( If I do somehow manage to beat Sevilla over 2 legs then I will face Braga or Stade Rennais.

Not really sure who to buy with the January transfer window fast approaching, although I do have 1.5 million sitting nicely in the bank.

Finished second in the Champions League group stage, drew Barcelona in the next round. That's me out unless I can pull off a real result :(.

Currently in 3rd in the Premiership, behind Liverpool and Chelsea. The keeper I signed was Carlos Kameni.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Take some faith in knowing that i've dumped them out 2 seasons running, both times expecting to be thumped.

Ah, Kameni, the perpetual football manager go-to keeper. Good enough signing, how old is he now?

That Forrest looks ok, very raw, kind of similar to Nathan Redmond.

28 in my game I think. He's been a class signing, and my defence is pretty water tight at the moment. Went 15 games unbeaten in the league and only conceded 3 goals in the process.

Unfortunately hit a bit of a bad run and we're drawing games we should be winning. January transfer window now. Brought Bryan Ruiz back in on loan, wasn't getting any games at United and an extra winger could be useful. Clint Dempsey's on his way out, be it in January or when his contract expires. Decided to throw a hissy fit when I dropped him after being sent off for a two footed challenge.

Another quick update on my 1st season with Fulham. In the last update it was all doom and gloom when I was drawn against Sevilla after the group stages. Well, what followed next was quite remarkable. :D

In the 1st leg at home I somehow managed to beat them 3-2 thanks to a last minute winner from Wilfried! :D

Then I went out to Spain in the second leg expecting to be battered. Again, I beat them, this time 2-1! :D

Now in the 2nd knockout round I have Stade Rennais.

good stuff, don't think they're as good as they used to be are they Sevilla?

How's Wilfried doing now?

Rennes are probably a lot tougher than Sevilla imo, think I went out to them one of the years.

good stuff, don't think they're as good as they used to be are they Sevilla?

How's Wilfried doing now?

Rennes are probably a lot tougher than Sevilla imo, think I went out to them one of the years.

It was pretty even at home, but in spain they absolutely battered me, still in shock as to how I managed to progress. They are still a good team on this with the likes of Kanoute and Negredo upfront with Jesus Navas on the wings.

Rennes will no doubt be difficult. They have some very highly rated players in Mangane and M'Vila. Hopefully I can get something out of it though.

Wilfried has started to come to life now elgreenio, now that i have switched from the 4-5-1 to the 4-4-2 formation. I now have him as TM (s) with Dembele as Poacher and it is grabbing him more goals at the moment so i don't really want to switch it.

My Premier League form has taken a downward turn though in recent matches and I am currently 11th. Hopefully can claw my way back up.

2 - 1 v Barcelona first leg.

4 - 2 the second leg :D. Went into extra time in the second leg and I was 2 - 1 down (3-3 aggregate) and went on to whack 3 past them in ET.

alright mate, I currently have 7/8 players in my team out injured. Is this a common thing in FM12? Do you find this also?

What can i do to minimise/prevent all these injuries?

i know it's ridiculous. I am playing lots of premier league/europa league matches but still, 8 is far too many injuries? :/

Yes you'll find you have a patch in the season where you'll have a fair few players out injured, though you could always try to tweak training if most of them are being picked up off the pitch. Other than that it's pretty much luck, but of course can rely on how you use your substitutes and have your tactics (pressing everywhere etc)

Sorry for the lack of response! (I've let you down Craig!!)

I'm no longer manager of Fulham Football Club, lasting four and a half years in the job.

I am currently manager of Norwich City Football Club and the date is 30th September 2016.

Any questions?!

Carlos

why the hell Norwich? Did Delia promise a lavish christmas spread with all the trimmings?

Signed a keeper from Gladbach called Marc-André ter Stegen. 21 years old and has a scout rating of 4 stars. Absolutely brilliant keeper and highly recommended at a transfer fee of £7m.

Won the league cup last season, got knocked out the semi-finals by PSG who went on to win it. Was quite disappointed in going out, didn't expect to get out of the group stages let alone beat Barcelona and Munich, so to go out to PSG was slightly disappointing. Lost the game in the last minute after being 2 - 1 up on aggregate :(.

why the hell Norwich? Did Delia promise a lavish christmas spread with all the trimmings?

I was sacked as Fulham manager. I was lying 14th after about 10 games, predicted 8th - I couldn't believe it. No 'boardroom have confidence' in you or anything. Gutted as my youngsters were just coming through but there was never any money to purchase quality players and I just could never break into the European places regularly.

I spent a couple of months unemployed and then Norwich offered me the job. I would have taken a championship job but Norwich at the time were 11th (predicted 20th) and that's where I finished.

Currently I'm on 21 points after 11 games (3rd place, predicted 13th) and I'm getting rid of the players on high wages, I've culled the youth set up and trying to be prudent, whilst relying on the nucleus of experienced players to see me through.

I've turned down £14m for Zaha from Chelski. He isn't happy but there was no way he was going there!

Signed a keeper from Gladbach called Marc-André ter Stegen. 21 years old and has a scout rating of 4 stars. Absolutely brilliant keeper and highly recommended at a transfer fee of £7m.

(.

He cost me £12.5million and was a sound investment in 2013/14 season. He's still with Fulham now, aged 24 worth 3.7million.

He cost me £12.5million and was a sound investment in 2013/14 season. He's still with Fulham now, aged 24 worth 3.7million.

I'm guessing he signed a new contract before I bought him, had a £7m minimum fee release

elgreenio how did you fare against the bigger teams like Arsenal,Chelsea etc in your first season. I can't seem to buy a win against any of them. How did you line up against them, did you go ultra defensive? I have tried everything, thrown the kitchen sink but still can't seem to get anything off them. Still playing with the 4-5-1 formation.

1st season im 5th start of feb and hangeland just got injured for 3-4 months! :mad:

So happy i bought Kaboul in jan, hughes will partner him from now on and hopefully able to keep my league standing.

Also kaboul for £3.7mil bargain??

Can't recall what he's like on this version, think he got a debatable CA bump. Centre backs seem to be absolutely everywhere in this game so you'll probably end up finding something better eventually anyway. He'll no doubt be a good signing, I preferred his Cameroonian teammate though :cool:.

Yeah bassong is good, finished my first season 7th just been given £20million for the 2nd season which i am very happy with. Dont know what happened i just fizzled out towards the end had some big injuries to key players and didnt win any of my last 7 games! But 7th is progress and more than what i aimed for.

Just agreed a deal to bring Kranjcar to fulham for £3.1million, very happy with that as midfield is a area i need to strenghten.

Edit - Love this save!

Majorly strengthened my squad in the summer, spent £16million!

Logan Bailly 1.2mil

Kevin De Bruyne - 750k

Yaya Sanogo - Free

Niko ^ 3.1mil

Royston Drenthe - Free!

Craig Dawson £4mil

G. Burdisso £5mil

Fernando - £2mil

I now have adequate replacements for when key players get injured. Like last season Brede got injured for 4months and senderos just didnt do the business when he came into the side. Also fernando looks ace just played his first fulham game and got his first brazil cap and gives Jali a bit of competition for the DMC role

El greenio I saw you mention at the beginning of the thread that the club is financially healthy. However during my brief tenure I got a message saying the board have pumped in a bit of cash injection to save the cash-strapped club going into receivership. Also on the info section says finances insecure. Do you know why this is the case?

Also how is Kerim Frei developing for people?

elgreenio, forgot to ask you what size of database did you pick at the start - small/med/large?

Mirror what is said above, always pick large.

Apologies for the lack of an update, i've taken on the task of being the clubs researcher so have picked up quite a bit, what with the next patch in a couple of months.

Fernando was an absolute beast for me so hope he cracks on for you as well, really was one of my success stories after him being way down the list of potential DM's.

ReggaeBwoy at the beginning of the game we are usually quite set financially and you'll be given a good budget as long as you don't go nuts. However, without progression when the clubs debt repayments to Al Fayed begin (second season) you may find you struggle to cope. You also have the disadvantage of being in England where all the money is paid at the end of the season so whilst you'll be making losses monthly, you'll actually be ok when the large sums are paid in.

Kerim Frei has developed well for me into a good first teamer, i'll post a screenie when I get the chance.

Happy New Year all.

Happy new year everyone.

I've left Norwich now. Won the league cup with them - first trophy in FM12 and it's only taken me 6(?!) seasons!

I'm now plying my management in Germany!

Happy new year all.

I started a new save with Fulham again as I now have the time to play it!

I am playing with a 4-2-4 formation which seems do be doing well for me so far. Pre season went well with no major upsets. I remembered to start the game in June 2011, thanks for that elgreenio, so was able to play the Europa League 1st qualifying round leg 1 match.

I battered NSI 8-1 over 2 legs, then Trnava 4-2 and then SV Ried 6-1. I gave the likes of Briggs, Kasami, Gecov and Sa starts in all these matches to see how they would perform and they all performed well, especially Sa.

I have just played my first match in the Premier League, a 1-0 home win against West Brom, to start the season off nicely with 3 points in the bag.

Next up we have Slovan Bratislava over 2 legs in the 4th qualifying round of the Europa League.

Transfer wise, I have got rid of the following: Bjorn Helge Riise for 2m, Halliche for 1.8m and Kelly for 2.3m. Frei has left on loan to get matches.

Wilfried arrived for 2.5m along with Amos (GK) and Draxler on loan. Thanks for the advice from the videos elgreenio!

Will keep updated if anyone wants.

Yeah fernando has been performing elgreenio, 19 games 1 goal and an average rating of 7.10. Very good player for £2mil and got a very able back up if he does get injured in Jali who can also play in more advanced central roles.

I managed to get like £4mil for riise was well happy with that!

An update mid way through first season. 18th January and I am 6th in the PL after 21 matches played. W11, D3, L7. Goals for 28, against 31. Wilfried, after an excellent start, is now out injured for 8 weeks. Dempsey is still out for another couple of weeks. Qualified from the Europa League group stages with relative ease in 2nd position along with Athletico Bilbao who topped the group. Have been drawn against Hannover 96 of Germany in the Europa League 1st qualifying round over 2 legs, tricky enough tie. Knocked out of the League Cup 4th round away to Chelsea at the bridge, they won 1-0. Into the FA Cup 4th round away to Birmingham City. Have tied down Murphy, AJ and Grygera onto slightly longer contracts, though Schwarzer will probably be leaving at the end of the season on a free, he has been excellent for me and I will be on the look out for a new keeper. Although I have signed elgreenio's recommendation Iliev for just over 1 million iirc. I still have 2.2 million left in the transfer kitty but don't I'll be buying anyone else though Darron Gibson was offered to me for just over a million from Man U and I did sign him what with Etuhu away on ACON duty.

Iliev <3. Such a shame Ochoa was available on a bosman otherwise that guy could have gone far for me. Gibson is a good little player, think I signed him aswell :D. You should pull through against Hannover, may be a tough away game but would expect them to fall apart at the Cottage.

For me, well i'm confident that the majority of the data is done for the next patch, so bar transfers I can concentrate on this lovely save again for the time being. See if I can retain my title

An update mid way through first season. 18th January and I am 6th in the PL after 21 matches played. W11, D3, L7. Goals for 28, against 31. Wilfried, after an excellent start, is now out injured for 8 weeks. Dempsey is still out for another couple of weeks. Qualified from the Europa League group stages with relative ease in 2nd position along with Athletico Bilbao who topped the group. Have been drawn against Hannover 96 of Germany in the Europa League 1st qualifying round over 2 legs, tricky enough tie. Knocked out of the League Cup 4th round away to Chelsea at the bridge, they won 1-0. Into the FA Cup 4th round away to Birmingham City. Have tied down Murphy, AJ and Grygera onto slightly longer contracts, though Schwarzer will probably be leaving at the end of the season on a free, he has been excellent for me and I will be on the look out for a new keeper. Although I have signed elgreenio's recommendation Iliev for just over 1 million iirc. I still have 2.2 million left in the transfer kitty but don't I'll be buying anyone else though Darron Gibson was offered to me for just over a million from Man U and I did sign him what with Etuhu away on ACON duty.

Well, time for another update seeing as I have completed my first season with Fulham. We finished in 7th position on 56 points. P38, W16, D8, L14. Goals for 48. Goals against 52. Finished 15 points behind 6th placed Arsenal and 4 points ahead of 8th placed Blackburn. So all in all a respectable position in the league and one that i am happy with. Wilfried finished my top goalscorer with 16 goals in 26 appearances, ahead of AJ with 12 goals. Bobby Zamora only managed 10 goals in 40 appearances for us, however he was instrumental with a lot of assists. Managed to reach the FA Cup 6th round where I was beaten 1-0 at home by Arsenal. In the Europa League, I was knocked out in the 1st qualifying round by Hannover 96 of Germany over the 2 legs. In the 1st leg at home they managed to beat us 1-0 with their star man Abdellaoue scoring. We were missing Hangeland for this match and we could not cope with the pace of their frontmen. In the 2nd leg out in Germany they tanked us 5-2 with their other striker Ya Konan bagging a hat-trick for himself. However, 5-2 seemed a bit harsh as we wasted quite a number of chances also.

Ahead of the 2nd season I have only made 1 signing, McDonald Mariga (DM) arriving on a free. Contemplating who to sell now. Schwarzer will be leaving on a free which means I will be left with Iliev and Stockdale to battle it out for the goalkeeping position. Thinking of selling Davies,Duff,Gecov and Zamora. Zamora didn't really do as well as I would have liked in my first season so maybe it is time to ship him on with him at 31 and on 50k a week wages. A tough one. Not too sure who to sign either! Any tips appreciated!

Was taken over by a new owner in a takeover and was given 10 million to spend ahead of the new season so will definitely have to sell a few more to raise that. Simon Davies has been sold to Birmingham for 400k so that has freed up 30k in wages already. elgreenio what do you makes of the likes of Chris Wood and Billy Sharp etc? only reason i ask is that Bendtner won't even enter into contract negotiations for a start. Also on the look out for a pacey winger , or two. Trying to buy Tom Cairney also. What strikers would you recommend , would you delve into the championship?

I signed Mariga aswell didn't I :D. Got rid of all you mentioned as there's some big earners there just eating up the budget and probably hardly getting a game. Though I believe I kept Zamora for another season.

For some reason i've never really bothered poaching Championship players, especially strikers, I just never rate them.

Bought Gibson as well didn't you? Are you not overloading yourself in CM if you buy Cairney?

As for strikers, what are you using Wilfried as? get somebody to compliment him. I went for the likes of Bendtner, P.Cisse, Sow, Zarate, basically anybody with a bit extra than what we have now.

I signed Mariga aswell didn't I :D. Got rid of all you mentioned as there's some big earners there just eating up the budget and probably hardly getting a game. Though I believe I kept Zamora for another season.

For some reason i've never really bothered poaching Championship players, especially strikers, I just never rate them.

Bought Gibson as well didn't you? Are you not overloading yourself in CM if you buy Cairney?

As for strikers, what are you using Wilfried as? get somebody to compliment him. I went for the likes of Bendtner, P.Cisse, Sow, Zarate, basically anybody with a bit extra than what we have now.

Bought Cairney in the mindset that he would eventually replace the ageing Murphy as a deep lying playmaker or advanced playmaker type of role.

Thinking of selling Etuhu as well considering I have both Sidwell (who played very well in the first season) and now Mariga.

By the way I also managed to beat a host of clubs to the free signing of Carlos Fierro on a free transfer 8) I see him as a replacement for AJ and could eventually be my new poacher.

elgreenio, unfortunately Bendtner won't even enter contract talks with me, what can i do to try and get round this? :/ cheers

I forget how old he is at the start of the game but Fierro should be your new number 1 striker imo. In fact if you have him Wilfried is a comptetent target man is he not? Could see a link forming there. Assuming you play 4-4-2 that is. So your strikers are Wilfried, Fierro, Zamora, AJ?

Depending on what role you give Wilfried you potentially have 2 x target man types, and 2 x speedy types. That's enough up top for me unless you replace AJ/Zamora with cheaper wage options.

Again, if you are playing a 4-4-2 then yeh one of Etuhu/Sidwell could go, i'd be inclined to plump for Sidwell because of his wages but i'm tight and love to be bucket loads under the wage budget.

Whats your best XI now btw?

I forget how old he is at the start of the game but Fierro should be your new number 1 striker imo. In fact if you have him Wilfried is a comptetent target man is he not? Could see a link forming there. Assuming you play 4-4-2 that is. So your strikers are Wilfried, Fierro, Zamora, AJ?

Depending on what role you give Wilfried you potentially have 2 x target man types, and 2 x speedy types. That's enough up top for me unless you replace AJ/Zamora with cheaper wage options.

Again, if you are playing a 4-4-2 then yeh one of Etuhu/Sidwell could go, i'd be inclined to plump for Sidwell because of his wages but i'm tight and love to be bucket loads under the wage budget.

Whats your best XI now btw?

I played with the 4-2-2-2 formation in the first season. Often lined up with the following : Schwarzer - Baird - Hangeland - Hughes - Riise , Murphy (deep lying playmaker) - Sidwell (BWMs) , Ruiz (if) , Dembele (ap) , Wilfried (TMa) - Johnson (poacher)

My strikers now are Zamora, AJ, Wilfried, Fierro, Sa and i suppose you can count Trotta also. Can't seem to shift Duff though and he is on 40k a week. Trying to get in some wingers with pace as i only really have Ruiz and Dembele!

Then yeh you could get away with dumping Etuhu out. Hell you could get away with dumping another of the regulars if there's any spritely regens knocking about.

I wouldn't count Trotta if I were you, i've never had hid come through at a decent enough level to play in the prem.

Oh, and Hangeland is better DCL and Hughes DCR (unless i've misinterpreted how you've written it).

Finished 2nd season 6th one place up from last year and won the league cup so straight into the europa league :D

Board has been taken over and there was talk of the chairman wanting to replace me with alan curbishley lol i mean come on curbishley? really?!

In the end he let me stay thank god! Anyway start of 3rd season got a £35million transfer budget :O So went on a bit of a spending spree!

Gylfi Sigurdsson - because Kranjcar was not doing amazing and hes on the decline apparently! Paid £21million for Sigurdsson though!

Renzetti (LB) 2.5mil

Lass Diarra (Free)

Boudebouz -£7million - Looks good!

Ter stegen - £9mil

Kara - £5.5 mil - who cant play because of work permit issues!

Think in the end i spent £45million! :O Which seems a hell of alot but hopefully i can push on and challenge for the title and gain a champions league spot!

finally recorded an update last night. Will be up some time tonight.

How's everybody getting on?