FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

If you manage to unsettle him at all share the secrets! Been trying for over a season now and they wont budge below 30mil even though he's sat in the reserves rotting away!

I'm not having much more luck myself to be honest...they've listed him for loan, but won't discuss a loan deal between our two clubs. He's quite happy with the comments I've made praising him, but still doesn't seem too unhappy at Arsenal reserves.

Not sure why the new boss Michael Laudrup has dumped him there, there's no injury or anything.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With our new strike force in place we're definitely looking a lot more threatening in front of goal so far this season. Moussa Sow scored on his debut in a 2-2 draw at Everton. Then Sow and Paloschi both scored 2 in a 5-2 win over Southampton in the next game, our other new striker Modibo Maiga grabbed the other goal, also his debut.

Defensively we still don't look quite right, so still more tweaking required.

5 games left in the first season for me now, four in the league and an FA cup final against Chelsea to go at. Currently 3 points behind 6th placed Everton with a game in hand, and my final game of the season is at Goodison. Still looking at Europe though due to Chelsea already qualifying for the CL through their league position.

Very pleased with the team in the second half of the season, only lost 4 games since before Christmas, one of which was against Man Utd. Got my revenge in the FA cup semi though, beating them 3-0 in extra time thanks to the super sub that is Shola!! Got a tough run in though so as long as I finish in top 10 and qualify for Europe I'll be happy, particularly considering I had to beg Ashley for extra patience in December cause of our poor form!!

Might as well post this here as well...

Buying

Player Name: Ryan Shawcross

Your Team: Newcastle

Seller: Stoke

Player's Value: £5m

Offer: £14.5m

Wage: £54k a week

Transfer/Wage Budget: £17m/100k left

Season: Start of 2nd

Need a good centre back to play as a stopper next to Vertonghen, figured he would be better than Steven Taylor and would have me sorted for the next five years. Plus added bonus of being English. Is he worth it or is there better/cheaper out there? If not I have S.Taylor and am also looking at signing Craig Dawson as backup.

I'm not having much more luck myself to be honest...they've listed him for loan, but won't discuss a loan deal between our two clubs. He's quite happy with the comments I've made praising him, but still doesn't seem too unhappy at Arsenal reserves.

Not sure why the new boss Michael Laudrup has dumped him there, there's no injury or anything.

Yeah, doesn't seem to be happening! they want 29mil for him. Such a shame, his attributes are on such a decline as well :(

Going to try and prize Ross Barkley away now, need a homegrown player arghhhh

Might as well post this here as well...

Buying

Player Name: Ryan Shawcross

Your Team: Newcastle

Seller: Stoke

Player's Value: £5m

Offer: £14.5m

Wage: £54k a week

Transfer/Wage Budget: £17m/100k left

Season: Start of 2nd

Need a good centre back to play as a stopper next to Vertonghen, figured he would be better than Steven Taylor and would have me sorted for the next five years. Plus added bonus of being English. Is he worth it or is there better/cheaper out there? If not I have S.Taylor and am also looking at signing Craig Dawson as backup.

I haven't looked at him yet on FM12, but if he's as good as he was on FM11 then he's well worth the money you're paying for him. Very reliable, and guaranteed goals from set pieces,

Good luck with the run in Gaz :thup:

Could you get 4th or 5th with the right run of results?

I should really do the maths before posting in future. That win against City, coupled with wins at Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park saw me finish 5th. I didn't think it was possible!

I also brought the FA cup home from our day trip to London too, beating Chelsea 1-0 in the final thanks to Ben Arfa.

Currently planning a major overhaul of the youth and reserves this summer, hoping to have a good clear out of the dead wood and start bringing some quality youth players through, as well as trimming the wage budget a bit if I get some good offers.

I should really do the maths before posting in future. That win against City, coupled with wins at Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park saw me finish 5th. I didn't think it was possible!

I also brought the FA cup home from our day trip to London too, beating Chelsea 1-0 in the final thanks to Ben Arfa.

Currently planning a major overhaul of the youth and reserves this summer, hoping to have a good clear out of the dead wood and start bringing some quality youth players through, as well as trimming the wage budget a bit if I get some good offers.

Well at least you gave yourself a pleasant surprise that way :D

Just hope the Europa Cup doesn't crush your squad next season the way it seemed to do to Man City on my save.

transfers1213.jpg

Transfer window just shut and these are my dealings, also bringing in Paloshi and various youth players on free. Gutierrez and Gosling are also out on loan with future fees. My main target of a striker didn't go as planned, as all the big names I was looking to sign either had already moved or rejected me for another side, however I did manage to bring in a top class defender and left winger.

I just got my group for the Champions League, I've got Real Madrid, Schalke and PSV. I think the term "Group of Death" would suffice.

Well at least you gave yourself a pleasant surprise that way :D

Just hope the Europa Cup doesn't crush your squad next season the way it seemed to do to Man City on my save.

I hope so too. I think I'll probably treat them as friendlies and blood a few youngsters at the start - I'd rather build on the league standing than go all guns blazing for the Europa cup at the moment.

Does anyone have any trouble with Colo's discipline? He has been sent off 4 times in 11 games for me. Kadar has been immense as his replacement so might end up selling Colo anyway. Got clubs sniffing round Ben Arfa and Cabaye at the minute.

I got rid of Coloccini at the start of the second season for £5m, but I've kept Jonas because he played incredibly well last season. However, I bought Labyad, De Bruyne and two regens that can play on the wing, so depending on form Jonas might be sold in the January window.

Has anyone managed to to offer Colo a new contract?

Could have got him to sign a new deal but only if I was willing to pay over 90k a week which I wasn't willing to do. I think a couple folks have managed to get him to sign a new deal on the same wages by offering the agent a whacking great fee, but I couldn't offer him enough to get him to budge.

Just a quick question here...

I have the option to sell Peter Lovenkrands for £1.4m. Would James McFadden make a reasonable replacement just for the first season? He would be cover for both the ML and STL positions, as an attacking winger and a poacher respectively. I would make £1.4m upfront and save £3k a week in wages. Not much, but every little helps...

Will Barcelona's young AMC Thiago be available in the second season? Or am I better looking to sign Alan Dzagoev in my second season? (as an attacking advanced playmaker in the AMC spot)

How much did you have to pay Sturridge in wages? I have him on loan and he is fantastic. The sale price is fantastic, but I'd certainly be looking for him to take a cut.

And how much did you get de Bruyne for? I'm quite an admirer of his talent...

Okay, that's four, or even five, questions. But any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

DandyDon... how much did you pay for Adam Johnson and what kind of wages is he on? I had him on FM11 and he was simply fantastic!

I've also noticed he hardly ever gets a start at City so I have been sniffing around but he doesn't seem interested at present (European competition and team reputation considered, I can't really blame him).

He's also a Newcastle fan, which always bumps somebody up a little in my estimation :)

I've managed to get Adam Johnson for £4.3m and 41k in wages, as he was transfer listed at the start of the second season.

Thiago doesn't want to join me so I doubt it, and you'll be better off going for Dzagoev or even Christian Eriksen.

@Trilo_G

1.4 million for Lovenkrands is a good price, and I'm assuming you'd be picking McFadden up as a free agent? Pretty much a win/win deal for you so I would go for it personally.

I tried signing Thiago from Barcelona on loan and on a permanent deal in second season, but he wouldn't consider moving to us so it was a non-starter. Can't help with Sturridge or De Bruyne I'm afraid.

I got Adam Johnson for 4.4 million, he usually seems to end up transfer listed for that amount it appears. His wages demands were fairly reasonable, despite coming from Moneybags City and he's on £36,000 a week.

Could have got him to sign a new deal but only if I was willing to pay over 90k a week which I wasn't willing to do. I think a couple folks have managed to get him to sign a new deal on the same wages by offering the agent a whacking great fee, but I couldn't offer him enough to get him to budge.

Think I'll probably need to add Newcastle as a favourite club, and perhaps readjust his ambition.

Coloccini was great for me on the demo (haven't really started my full game yet, doing some research before I continue), but £80k for a defender is ridiculous. It appears you can get the likes of Bassong, Shawcross and Cahill who are all better defenders in my opinion and will accept much less in the way of a weekly fee. I'm certainly considering selling him if I get an offer at the end of the first season.

Gutierrez appears to almost justify his wages, but I'm positive there could be better talent on the wing for a fraction of the price, too.

I don't want to destroy the team by replacing everyone immediately, especially not those who can be the deciding factor in a few big games, but my primary aim is to get rid of some of the highest earners before the second season kicks off.

Are Obertan or Lualua any good? and has anybody tried signing Juan Iturbe?

Obertan's good, a lot better than I expected but he's no world beater. For his age & wages, he's a good squad player and is very good to bring on in the last 15 purely for his pace. He can start and perform as well.

Never used Lualua but that's purely as I don't rate him IRL and had no desire to give him a pay rise.

How can people let Colo go? The guy's a legend and is great for me (second season, still captain and constantly performs). Not only that he's a great tutor for some of the younger players and everyone seems to like him. 80K a week, decent signing on fee and throw some cash at his agent and he'll sign guaranteed.

Any one else in the Europa League? If so are you paying proper attention to it? I've just won in the first knock out leg and I'm now approaching the second, gunning for European glory.

First tester game out of the way now, 2 seasons in and i think ive gotten to grips with the game. Wanted to start with a new club but for some reason Newcastle still has me gripped.

Has anyone today invested in a good scouting system and does anyone have any staff recommendations?

My plan for season 1 is to depend on loads and do a massive clear out of staff and scouts

2012/13 Season Update - Transfer Window and the opening games

NewcastleTransfers_History-2.png

As I stated earlier, my main aim during the summer was to improve the squad's attack (hoping to provide them with better aim :p) so that we were a lot less wasteful in front of goal compared to last season. This led to a pretty busy transfer window overall, with a lot of players either being released (not all planned I have to confess) or moved on.

I'd already organised deals to bring in 2 quality young players in Andrea Bertolacci for midfield and Alberto Paloschi upfront so my first main move of the summer was to sign up Radja Nainggolan from Cagliari. I intended selling Diarra and I wanted Nainggolan as long term competition for Tiote as the midfield ballwinner. I also took the time to snap up a bargain in Ivan Bandalovski for £400,000 from CSKA Sofia to provide some cover at right back (has some amazing stats for such a cheap player).

I made a move for Marc Albrighton at Aston Villa to bring another English player into the squad, and like Adam Johnson he's capable of playing either flank, he's a fantastic crosser, probably the best in the squad at the moment. After several scouting missions I'd settled on Moussa Sow as the man to fulfil my main mission of the transfer window, and was amazed he ended up costing comparitvely little, a bargain £7.5 million compared to the prices I was being quoted for other targets like Cisse at Freiburg (22 million we were asked for there).

With the deal for Sow wrapped up I concentrated for a little while on raising some more transfer cash and getting the wage budget down a bit. I'd already managed to get Xisco off the books early in July (though you won't be surprised to hear we're still paying him :rolleyes:) and managed to lose young Sammy Ameobi as a result of my own lack of care. (Clicked through a whole slew of email messages earlier in the season, and somehow didn't pay attention to the one telling me he'd been offered a contract elsewhere).

As Colo's wage demands were too rich for my blood I ended up selling him rather than lose him on a free, but we were only able to raise £2.8 million from Fiorentina, though it did mean a major saving on wages. I moved Elliot on under advice from some of the coaching staff as he was highly unlikely to figure and had been complaining about not featuring much.

The deal for Ba was a very pleasant surprise, I'd chosen to transfer list him as I thought he was probably the most sellable asset that I was willing to live without, but when I offered him to the interested Serie A clubs I'd not been expecting any of them to come close to matching my price.

With the £14.75 million for Ba in pocket I went back into the market to further improve the squad, offering Hans-Jorg Butt a contract to be our third choice keeper and then snaffled Nicolas Gaitan from Benfica for £6.5 million. Another quality winger and he's equally comfortable on both left and right wing, very quick and skillful, can also play AMC if required. I failed in arranging my other major target of a top quality centre back with 2 targets (Dominguez and Chygrynskyi) failing to get work permits and a third (Yaroslav Rakitskyi) choosing to sign for Juventus over us (the wrong black and white shirts you damned fool!). Having failed there I tried to sign Gary Cahill from Bolton, but they demanded a £20 million fee so I pulled out...only to see Man Utd swoop in and sign him up for 15 million.

To complete our signings I picked up Maiga from the French league to provide a slghtly different style of striker alongside Sow and Paloschi, and then added Timoschuk on a free to provide some cover in defence for a season or at least until January and I make a successful bid for a defender I want.

Having added two good young wingers to the squad, I decided I was overloaded on that front and chose to offload Obertan as I felt his form toward the end of last season meant he'd attract the most interest. That turned out to be the right choice in the end as I offered him to clubs for £10 million and a couple were willing to meet the price. Benfica were the only side willing to pay upfront though, so their was the offer accepted.

Results: Sow far Sow good

NewcastleUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-4.png

As you can see the signing of Moussa Sow has definitely paid off for us in attack as he scored in each of his first 5 games and we've gotten off to a sloid start in the League. We sit third behind Man utd and Chelsea (who've won their 4 opening matches) and just ahead of Man City. We look a lot more incisive upfront so far, with a hreater propprtion of our chances on target which was exactly what I was hoping for.

As evidenced by the Everton game, and the Champs League game against Inter, we still have some work to do in defence but as we have a pretty young backline overall, (Steven Taylor's the oldest by a few years at 26) I'm sure they will improve.

In Europe we've been drawn in a group with Inter Milan, CSKA Moscow and Bayer Leverkusen which I think gives us a good chance of qualifying for the next stage, despite the loss in Italy. With some good home for we should be able to grab second in that group.

Obertan's good, a lot better than I expected but he's no world beater. For his age & wages, he's a good squad player and is very good to bring on in the last 15 purely for his pace. He can start and perform as well.

Never used Lualua but that's purely as I don't rate him IRL and had no desire to give him a pay rise.

How can people let Colo go? The guy's a legend and is great for me (second season, still captain and constantly performs). Not only that he's a great tutor for some of the younger players and everyone seems to like him. 80K a week, decent signing on fee and throw some cash at his agent and he'll sign guaranteed.

Any one else in the Europa League? If so are you paying proper attention to it? I've just won in the first knock out leg and I'm now approaching the second, gunning for European glory.

Only if you can find the cash to throw at his Agent though.....I couldn't at the time, and there was no way I was paying even Colo over 90k a week. If you can talk him into staying on the same wages though, go for it. Like James says he's a great player to have in your side.

Obertan certainly does a job if called on, and he went on quite a run of form during the second half of the season for me. However there are better options out there if you have some money to spend, but you might be surprised how much money you can raise selling Gabriel, I know I was.

Too expensive for me, too. He's great, but there are younger, better, cheaper players out there. Sure, it's a shame, but if he was that bothered, he'd take a cut. If he's not prepared to, he has no place in my proposed financial structure, as it certainly appears that finance at Newcastle is an issue that needs addressing.

Well good start to the season comprehensively derailed by Spurs :(

Had to play them twice away in the space of fours days in league and cup and aggregate score over the two games was 6-0....ouch. Why do Van Der Vaart and Pavlyuchenko seem to play like Xavi and Messi against me....

Man City's lineup really isn't what you want to see after a couple of bad results!

Joe Hart behind a backling of Srna, Adil Rami, Vincent Kompany and Clichy....De Jong and Big Daddy Yaya ahead of them, then David Silva, Marek Hamsik and Douglas Costa with the cherry ontop Sergio Aguero.

Easy eh?

Ouch... Although...

in the demo I lined up like this against City (at home)

Krul

Simpson

Taylor

Coloccini

Ridgewell

Gutierrez

Cabaye

Tiote

dos Santos

Ba

Sturridge

which, to be honest, I didn't believe would stand a cat in hell's change of beating the following team...

Hart

Srna

Savic

Lescott

Clichy

de Jong

Toure

Aguero

Silva

Nasri

Tevez

... but I won it.

Two goals from Tevez and one from Toure, answered only by one decent break well finished by Sturridge had me 3-1 down at half time. I had mentally given up, but told the team I expected more. Straight off the start, Ba scores a wonder goal, followed by an almost identical goal within less than five minutes. The game turned into an entertaining end-to-end, all-out-attacking match from both sides, but neither team seemed capable of finishing the slick counter-attacking moves until Savic fouls Sturridge in the box around the 80th minute. Cabaye smashes in a penalty, then almost immediately after that, Savic makes another mistake to allow Ba to complete his hat-trick and finish the match 5-3 to Newcastle.

That and my 2-2 away draw at Anfield (two goals and one man down at half time and came back to nab a point) were the particular highlights of my demo stretch. Never say never, anything is posssible.

They signed him and Danny immediately every time I started an English save, while Arsenal always signed Baines and K Asamoah. Similar things would happen on FM11, I don't remember starting ANY save where Jeremy Menez didn't go to Man Utd in the first window...

First tester game out of the way now, 2 seasons in and i think ive gotten to grips with the game. Wanted to start with a new club but for some reason Newcastle still has me gripped.

Has anyone today invested in a good scouting system and does anyone have any staff recommendations?

My plan for season 1 is to depend on loads and do a massive clear out of staff and scouts

Coach wise I'd highly recommend getting hold of Phil Cannon from Blackburn, he's very solid on pretty much all outfield coaching areas. (Actually just realised he has four stars for coaching keeper too....what a guy!).

Paul Winsper starts unemployed and he's a 5 star fitness coach.

Decided to jump on the Newcastle bandwagon and have had a very decent start. We currently 3rd in the Premier League after 12 games with 9 wins and 3 losses includin a 2-1 win at the Emirates, a 3-0 win over Pool at SJP. Weve got Sunderland in the Carling Cup Quarter Final beating Preston, Reading an Spurs along the way.

I turnt budgets off in the first window so made use of the free transfer market bringing in Materazzi - not sure why, Daniel Jensen - Decent backup to Cabaye, Carlos Diogo - decent player, and Mahmadou Diarra - decent backup to Tiote. Also brung in Clement, Murtough and Winsper which has allowed me 3 1/2 star at least in all areas without revamping the whole backroom team, a couple of decent scouts came in aswell.

Demba Ba seems permanently injured?!

Archived