Sports Interactive Community
DandyDon

FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

2012/13 Season Update

I've reached the start of March in our second season and, despite a few unconvincing performances, we've managed to hang on to the tails of the two Manchester clubs. As I expected Man City have improved on their showing of last season and Lippi made a couple of astute signings during the summer that really seem to have worked for them. He brought in the Brazilian centre back Dede, who has formed a real solid partnership with Kompany, and also signed Arturo Vidal for the midfield. Certainly seems to have made them more solid as they've only lost one match in the league so far and have the best goals conceded record not surprisingly.

Man Utd are just three points behind them and while not as tight defensively, Rooney and Hernandez have been scoring goals for fun. Rooney currently has 33 goals in 31 appearances and they gave us a bit of a schooling at Old Trafford in October. (Finished 2-0 to them, but really should have been about 7-0).

Drawing CSKA Moscow in our Champs League group, I noticed their talented midfielder Alan Dzagoev's contract expired in December and offered him a deal which he accepted. He arrived at the start of January and we had to pay the Russian club £8.5 million in compensation. Made a couple of other moves in January when I realised that Senegal had qualified for the ACN, with Ba and Cisse disappearing, I brought Danny Welbeck in for a second loan spell and while looking at other potential loan targets noticed that Antonio Valencia had been transfer listed with an asking price of £6 million. Put in a sneaky bid of £4.5 million on the last day of the window and was surprised when Utd accepted, so Valencia joined right at the death.

October to March results

NewcastleUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-7.png

We've done well overall, managing to get through to the final of the League Cup, qualify top of our Champs League group and stay in the title race so far. There have been a couple of very lucky results and one or two terrible performances, the worst showing was probably in the home defeat at the hands of Spurs in the FA Cup where we got absolutely hounded by them. Thankfully though we've generally bounced back from a poor result pretty quickly and have so far avoided a sustained slump.

We got a measure of revenge on Spurs with a piece of incredible daylight robbery at the Lane when we beat them 4-2, a scoreline that was no real reflection of the game and at 2-1 down we somehow managed to grab three goals in the last ten minutes.

TottenhamvNewcastleSplitView.png

We also mounted something of a smash and grab raid in Italy during the 1st leg of our Knockout round tie against AC Milan. We managed to nick a 1-0 lead midway through the first half with a Cabaye screamer, but for the rest of the half and the opening of the second Milan really upped the pressure and got an equaliser from some poor defending at a corner.

At this point I would have been happy with a draw to take back to SJP, however 2 minutes after they equalised Taye Taiwo got a second yellow card and the tide started to turn. When I brought on Paloschi for a tiring Cisse on 71 minutes (this was only Cisse's second game after returning injured from the ACN) the game was turned on it's head. With Chris Brunt and Ze Roberto getting lots of space and time now they were able to put Paloschi through on several occasions, and with 4 shots on goal after coming on as a sub he bagged 4 goals against his former club.

ACMilanvNewcastleSplitView.png

Those 4 goals took Paloschi to 27 goals for the season so far from 35 appearances (though only 11 of them have come in the leage) and he has certainly been the form player from the summer arrivals. Our leading scorer in the league is Cisse with 17, he has 19 overall from 25 games and would have had more but for the ACN and a niggling ankle injury. Demba Ba has found opportunities a little limited with the form of those two, but he has 5 goals from his 9 starts so far and has played well when called off the bench as well.

In midfield Cabaye has so far chipped in with a few more goals than last season and has been in excellent form, while Joe Allen and Andrea Bertolacci are both looking very decent. Titoe has had a couple of injuries this time round, one of them picked up whilst away at the ACN and so hasn't been quite as effective for me compared to last season. Hatem Ben Arfa had started the season asking for a move, but as my tactics changed and we started playing with an AMC more often his form really started picking up and he was making himself a real regular, also scoring our goal of the season so far when he skinned two defenders before chipping a delighful lob over the Southampton keeper from 25yards. Unfortunately he got injured in training, another stress back fracture, and so at the moment Dzagoev has his place.

On the wings Brunt and Ze Roberto have been in fantastic form, especially the Brazilian who has chipped in with 20 assists already. Unfortunately he also announced he'll retire at the end of the season despite my efforts to talk him out of it, which was the main reason I decided to move for Valencia in January.

In defence Toby Alderweireld has been the standout player, though Davide Astori is making a real push to be his regular partner at the heart of things. Santon is continuing to play well, and had to fend off several bids from Roma, Juventus and AC Milan for his services during January.

Into the second season and Cabaye has been annoying me with his demands for a pay rise, of up to 115k per week. Threatened to sell him if he won't keep it quiet which he responded positively but he'll pop up again in a month's time. Should I sell him guys? He'll definitely attract a host of big clubsl

I managed to sell him for £17.75m, but I was only paying him something like £65k per week. I was also lucky in that Ramsey and Wilshere were both transfer listed and I could use the Cabaye funds to cover them both.

Into the second season and Cabaye has been annoying me with his demands for a pay rise, of up to 115k per week. Threatened to sell him if he won't keep it quiet which he responded positively but he'll pop up again in a month's time. Should I sell him guys? He'll definitely attract a host of big clubsl

He hasn't made any noises about getting a pay rise on my save yet (fingers crossed :D), have you got anyone at the club who is on £115k a week that he might be throwing envious glances at?

I'm half way through my third season and Cabaye is still on his original contract of £35.5k a week.

Currently top of the league after 25 games, should hopefully win the league or at least take it to the wire. My team is as follows:

GK: Krul

DR: Rafael/S Taylor (if defensive)

DC: Shawcross/Coloccini

DC: Huth/Dawson

DC: Santon

MC: Wilshere/Tiote

MC: Sigurdsson/Cabaye

AMR: Balotelli/Bentley

AML: Muniain/Johnson

ST: Paloschi

ST: Crouch

A few other players are there as squad players but I have quite a small squad really, doing well so far.

One question though, how do people that have bought him play Paloschi? I play him as a poacher with Crouch next to him as a TM. He signed in January and has scored 5 in 9, but his 5 goals have come against weaker opposition in the cups and he has scored 0 from 6 in the league.

Harry,

I've signed Paloschi on 2 different Newcastle saves on FM12 now, and he's been prolific both times played as a Poacher, either alongside another forward or sometimes upfront on his own.

However both times he took quite a while to get going and is prone to score in clutches, he'd bag 2,3 or 4 in a game then not score for a few. In my original save he has 117 goals in all competitions from 167 appearances (110(57)), he's well worth persevering with :thup:

On both saves he seems to love scoring in Europe by the way, scoring double figures in the Champions League in a couple of seasons and getting 8 or 9 in other years.

Cheers, I will keep playing him as a poacher and hopefully he will come good.

He has only been here for 2 months atm, so still very early in his career.

Well by March of this season on my current save he has 29 goals in all competitions so far. 11 from 19(5) in the league, 7 from 6(1) in the domestic cups and probably most importantly for us so far 11 from 5(2) in the Champions League.

Might make a difference as well that I signed him alongside 3 other Italian players during the summer and with Santon already at the club we have a decent Italian enclave there.

I may have a look at bringing another Italian in, if they're good enough. Hopefully there is a good Italian regen that I can sign.

Just won the League Cup, that's added to the FA Cup from last season and the Charity Shield from this season. Also, we're 2nd in the league, 2 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand, we've played 27, they've played 28. Hopefully we can push them right to the wire and win it. We have the best defence in the league, only conceded 18 so far, City are the next best, with 20 conceded.

I've noticed that Paloschi has Super Mario Balotelli as favoured personnel on my save, so maybe having him there will help you get the best out of Alberto.

Great result there against Inter though :thup:

Yeah, Paloschi has Balotelli as favoured personnel on mine too, which is good. He has finally started firing now, scored 4 in his last 4.

Yeah, Paloschi has Balotelli as favoured personnel on mine too, which is good. He has finally started firing now, scored 4 in his last 4.

Hopefully he'll keep that form up then :thup:

Have you got Balotelli on a loan, or is that permanent deal by the way?

Got him on a permanent deal as he was listed by City. £10m I paid for him, he hasn't been too great though, I play him at AMR.

Well we've managed to sneak into second place with 8 games left to go, just 3 points behind Man City. Unfortunately we've lost our top scorer in the league after Cisse picked up an injury playing for Senegal. He'll be out for at least a month. :(

Just won the league, 3rd season. Went in to the last game 3 points ahead of 2nd placed Liverpool, but they had much better goal difference. I lost 3-1 away to Spurs and thought I'd blown it but then I checked and Liverpool lost 2-1 to Bristol City, giving me the league :D.

Also won the Europa League and League Cup this season, buzzing!

Just won the league, 3rd season. Went in to the last game 3 points ahead of 2nd placed Liverpool, but they had much better goal difference. I lost 3-1 away to Spurs and thought I'd blown it but then I checked and Liverpool lost 2-1 to Bristol City, giving me the league :D.

Also won the Europa League and League Cup this season, buzzing!

Nice of Bristol City to do you a favour there :thup: Quite a season too.

Spurs are a side that constantly give me problems, even in games where I beat them they usually have the edge in terms of possession and chances. Have to face them in the Champs League semi-finals after they somehow knocked out Barcelona 5-1 on aggregate :eek:

He hasn't made any noises about getting a pay rise on my save yet (fingers crossed :D), have you got anyone at the club who is on £115k a week that he might be throwing envious glances at?

Nope! Highest is Captain Colo at £72k a week. I wouldn't want to sell him at all, have a bit of a man crush on him, but if he continues to sulk in the game then there's no other choice but to sell. Find it weird though, never had this situation before with Cabaye. Have to be his agent.

Nope! Highest is Captain Colo at £72k a week. I wouldn't want to sell him at all, have a bit of a man crush on him, but if he continues to sulk in the game then there's no other choice but to sell. Find it weird though, never had this situation before with Cabaye. Have to be his agent.

Does seem a bit strange he's looking for such a hefty wage hike, maybe see if he'll accept a wage similar to Colo's? If not and he's going to keep complaining then, much as I hate to say it, move him on.

Nice of Bristol City to do you a favour there :thup: Quite a season too.

Spurs are a side that constantly give me problems, even in games where I beat them they usually have the edge in terms of possession and chances. Have to face them in the Champs League semi-finals after they somehow knocked out Barcelona 5-1 on aggregate :eek:

I beat Spurs a few days earlier in the Europa League Final so I've not got too many complaints :D.

End of Season 3 update

Leao Butron and a consortium took over the club in December and upgraded both the training and youth facilities. A new loan was also taken out. It is worth 76m and 361k will be repayed every month until 23/12/2037. The budgets weren't changed.

Transfers

transferss3.png

Domestic

pls3.png

This season it was quite tight at the top of the table. We were between 4th and 6th for the first half of the season and only slowly started to climb towards the top in the second half. We were finally in first after the 33rd match of the season and stayed there until the end.

Cups

League Cup: lost 3:1 to Chelsea in the 3th round

FA Cup: lost 1:0 to Birmingham in the 4th round

Europe

Qualifying: Beat M. Haifa 11:2 on aggregate

Euro Cup Group stage: Finished top ahead of Fenerbahce, Spartak Moscow and Maribor.

Then beat...

Genoa 5:2 - 2:1 away, 3:1 home

Chelsea 2:1 - 0:0 away, 2:1 home

...to lose 1:0 to PSG in the QTR final (0:0 home, 1:0 away)

Stats

statss3.png

Next Season

Ramsey will be joining for 8.75m and an american FB regen named Jake Henderson will join us on his 18th birthday in July.

Thanks for reading.

Finally made it to the end of my second season in charge. After winning the FA Cup last year and finishing 8th in the league, I wanted to see some improvement. Last season we scored 60, conceded 48, picked up 46pts at home but only 12 away. This season, however, we won the League Cup (3-0 vs Chelsea) and ended up sneaking 7th place. We scored 87 goals, conceded 48 again, picked up less points at home (41pts) but gained 10 more on the road (22pts). It's down to a fantastic last 8 games unbeaten that we finished in such a strong position. Sunderland 5-0 (A), Arsenal 5-0 (H), Everton 1-1 (A), Man Utd 5-1 (H), West Brom 4-0 (H), Bolton 6-3 (A), Chelsea 4-0 (H), Wolves 0-0 (H).

We exited the other cups relatively early, losing to Norwich in the FA Cup 3rd round and not progressing past the group stage of the Euro Cup. However, another bonuswas winning the Community Shield against Man Utd.

Standout scorers were:

Cisse - 37 in 48(4)

Sigurdsson - 14 in 34(8)

Gaitan - 9 in 41(2)

C. Dawson - 9 in 48(1)

Wilshere - 7 in 14(3)

Paloschi - 6 in 9(7)

Creators:

Sigurdsson - 20 assists

Gaitan - 19 assists

Cisse - 10 assists

Vass - 8 in 29(4)

Jonas - 7 in 21(9)

Wilshere - 5 assists

I also have to give credit to january signing Ashley Young who got 4 goals and assist in his 16(4) appearances.

Gaitan came 3rd in footballer of the year (Got in team of the year as well), Cisse was joint 2nd scorer with Hernandez with 26 and Sigurdsson was Young player of the Year.

My plans for the summer are to keep most of the squad, but get rid of the likes of Marveaux, Ba and Rhodes because they hardly played. I'm bringing in a RB and LB regen to cover defence and Shawcross is listed for £4m so I might go for him. Lille got relegated so Hazard has put in a request, but I'd have to lose one of my attacking players (Gaitan, Young, Wilshere, Sigurdsson, Ait Fana, Canales, Jonas) to justify bringing him in. If I could sell Ait Fana then I could cancel the loan of Canales.

2012/13 - Season Update

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-9.png

After a long season this was the situation with 2 games left to go in the league campaign. Man City hadn't managed to shake us off during the run in and we were both locked together on 86 points, they were top by benefit of their goal difference, 7 better than ours. Our final 2 games would be at home against Wolves and finishing away at Liverpool, while City had to go away to Old Trafford and face their bitterest rivals before finishing at home to West Brom.

We did our part against Wolves, grabbing a 4-0 halftime lead which we didn't relinquish. However having pinned my hopes on a free-scoring Man United to do us a favour they were dashed when City managed to escape with a 2-1 win despite United dominating the game (checking the stats, Utd hit the woodwork twice amongst their 26 shots on goal).

I was pretty sure that our chance had gone now, couldn't see Man City losing the last day against the Baggies, and the game at Anfield was going to be a tough ask for us. I was proved right as we scrapped tooth and nail against Liverpool, but couldn't quite manage the win. We took a first half lead when Alderweireld volleyed home a loose ball after Reina parried an Astori header. Liverpool punished us for some slack defending in the second half though, with no-one closing down Steven Gerrard almost straight from the kick off and he walloped a 30 yard screamer past Krul. They then grabbed the lead when we left a certain lanky, ponytailed ex-Newcastle player unmarked in the box at a corner.

Their lead only lasted 3 minutes though before Astori muscled his way onto the ball from another corner to equalise and throwing caution to the wind we pinned Liverpool back into their own half for the last 20 minutes. Unfortunately we just couldn't find a third goal to give us the win we needed so badly. As it turned out a 3-2 win wouldn't have been good enough as Man city recorded a comfortable 2-0 win at home.

NewcastleUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-8.png

We'd had a great season in terms of form and the attacking football we'd played, but it was gutting to come so close in the League and not quite pull it off. The disappointing draw against Blackburn was especially irritating, we had massive dominance in that game but gave away a silly equaliser 3 minutes from the end to drop 2 vital points. We did manage to secure our first piece of silverware when we beat Fulham 4-3 after extra time in the League Cup Final, a real end to end game with both teams having over 20 shots on goals and chances galore. (Not a good day for the defenders on show mind you...)

Our european campaign went a lot further than I'd anticipated, though we rode our luck massively at times. After making it past AC Milan in the 1st knockout round we really should have come away from Madrid with a hiding at the hands of Atletico, but somehow escaped with only a 2-0 defeat. We turned the tables in the return leg, with Demba Ba in inspired form and smashed them 6-0. Ba really should have had a hattrick, but one of his goals was credited as an o.g after a slight deflection of their defender...looked goal bound to me even before it hit him.

In the semi-final we had to play Spurs, who as I mentioned earlier, we always seem to struggle against. This time was more of the same, with Spurs constantly slicing us open at the Lane but we did manage to grab 3 away goals to keep some hope of making an unexpected final. Again we feel just slightly short, only managing to score once in the second leg, even with 21 shots on goal to their 3 and 58% of the possession. Spurs went on to clinch the Euro glory, beating Man Utd 2-1 in the final (which meant a trophyless season for Utd as City did the League and FA Cup double).

We had three players in the team of the year this time round, with Alderweireld and his partner Astori forming the heart of the backline and Chris Brunt being picked on the right wing. Brunt enjoyed a very impressive second season, playing on both flanks he made 22 assists and scored 7 (only Ze Roberto made more assists for us finishing with 24). Upfront the three main strikers all enjoyed pretty good seasons, Paloschi scoring 35 goals overall from 51 games and hopefully next season as he improves he'll be a lot further up the league scoring table. Papiss Cisse managed 21 goals in 32 games, unluckily for him the second half of his season was badly disrupted by the ACN and then two injuries otherwise he may have managed to keep pace with Tevez and Aguero who finished as joint top scorers. Demba Ba did start as often as the others, making 32 appearances, but half of those as a sub, but he still had a decent run of form toward the end of the season that meant he grabbed 15 goals in all.

I'm hoping to maintain a similar level next season and hopefully push Man City all the way again if we can. Not sure I'll be making many moves in the transfer window during the summer as the squad doesn't really need much improving as it is, we were joint top scorers along with City, and had the second best defence. The midfield is pretty solid, weighing in with a good number of goals from the likes of Cabaye, Allen, Bertolacci, Dzagoev and Ben Arfa, plus plenty of assists. The only area I might try and strengthen is on the wings as Ze Roberto will quit in the summer.

Final Table - close, but no cigar

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-10.png

Hi all,

Quick update from my NUFC save. The long weekend gave me the opportunity to really get stuck in and make a dent on my ten-season challenge. Managed to finish the 11/12 season finishing a better-than-expected 3rd place.

We came out of the starting gate absolutely flying and racked up impressive wins against Liverpool 6-0 (H), Man Utd 2-1 (A), Spurs 4-0 (H) and up-until Christmas it was a two-horse race between us and City. I really didn’t want to win the league in the first season as, I feel, you don’t get the same satisfaction of slowly building up a team, so in truth I was quite relieved when we went through a bad patch in Jan/ Feb that saw us lose a few dropping to 4th and that is where we stayed for the majority of the season until a late resurgence saw us pip Liverpool to 3rd on the final day.

The cups however were a very different matter and one area I thought we could make some serious challenge in. We got all the way to the Semi’s of the league cup final where we lost to Bolton on penalties after 2-2 from both legs. If we’d of won we’d of met Swansea in the final and I really think we could of taken them. As for the FA cup we crashed out early to West Ham during our poor run.

Star performers were the two Demba’s – Cisse finished with 28 in total and Ba finished with 22. Both suffered a real dip in mid-season and could barely hit a donkey’s arse from two yards, however a few tweaks and I had them both firing smashing over 30 goals between them in the past 15 games. Cabaye was also a bit of gem contributing a lot of assists and a few goals. As for the rest of my midfield I was largely disappointed with Jonas and HBA who were fantastic on fm11. Tiote again I think is rather hit and miss – a couple of stand out games but nothing special. The defense were brilliant – Saylor and Colo were a rock and Williamson, when he came in ended up with 5 goals in 15 starts. Raylor and Shane Ferguson have also had good seasons.

Have made a number of signings during the summer include:

Cheikh M'Bengue £6m

Zilfred Zaha £2.7

Paul Pogba loan

Kevin De Bruyne loan

Ryan Nelson free

Owen Hargraves free

Ashley was incredibly cheap and I only had £7m to spend so tried to get a good mix of experience and youth. First game of the season was against the Mackems and some of those signings seem to be paying off with HBA opening the scoring and Ryan Nelson (only playing because of an injury crisis) heading the winner for a 2-1 win.

Onward and up for the rest of the season – HWTL!

De Bruyne could be a very useful signing there Nick...he was on loan at At. Madrid when we played them in Europe and absolutely flayed my defence in the first leg. Luckily enough he was missing in the second leg :D

Cheers Don - fingers crossed he turns out well. Hoping the loan option makes it rather risk free. The one guy i am hope to get my hands on is Alberto Paloschi. He's not appearing at the moment but i'm guessing its because i've only get the english league as playable. Is there a way you can add more leagues without having to restart the game?

May as well ask in here, if I were to bring in another attacker to play as AMC or on the wings, who would you go with- Hazard for £13m/£60k wages or Kagawa Bosman/£60k wages?

Also, which two would you sell from Ait Fana, Jonas or cancel Canales' loan.

Some big changes afoot in the Premier League for the third season on my save. So far during the summer Fergie, Wenger, Redknapp and Roy Hodgson have all retired, Lippi also retired earlier at the end of the season at Man City.

Now I just need Di Matteo to leave Chelsea and stop trying to buy Chris Brunt.

Cheers Don - fingers crossed he turns out well. Hoping the loan option makes it rather risk free. The one guy i am hope to get my hands on is Alberto Paloschi. He's not appearing at the moment but i'm guessing its because i've only get the english league as playable. Is there a way you can add more leagues without having to restart the game?

You should be able to add the Italian leagues under the same FM button you hit to select 'Save Game' or 'Preferences'. Can't guarantee Paloschi will be in the squad if you manage to add the teams though, might be a lot of regens in the teams if you add them later.

May as well ask in here, if I were to bring in another attacker to play as AMC or on the wings, who would you go with- Hazard for £13m/£60k wages or Kagawa Bosman/£60k wages?

Also, which two would you sell from Ait Fana, Jonas or cancel Canales' loan.

I like Kagawa, but if I had to choose between the two it'd be Hazard any day and I'd probably cancel Canales' loan then sell either Ait Fana or Jonas at the end of the season whichever one played the least amount of games.

Again thanks for your response - i'll give it ago as a lot of people mention him and he apparently is something quite special. Have you got a screenshot for Brunt? How good has he become on your current save?

Again thanks for your response - i'll give it ago as a lot of people mention him and he apparently is something quite special. Have you got a screenshot for Brunt? How good has he become on your current save?

ChrisBruntOverview_Profile.png

That's Brunt after 2 seasons at the club for me. Been one of our most consistent players during that time, scores a good share of goals for a winger as well.

Been tempted to do a Newcastle save for some time now, and that time has finally come. Playing on the latest patch, going to go for a 4-4-2 formation, with different variations, 4-4-1-1 etc. Looking to get rid of Jonas and maybe Coloccini, due to their high wages, for what they have to offer. Looking to bring in Toby Alderwiereld or Vertonghen, and maybe a younger CB, Jamaal Lascelles looks promising from Nottingham Forest. Looking to also bring in a CM for cover and 1, possibly 2 wingers with great workrate and crossing ability.

Been tempted to do a Newcastle save for some time now, and that time has finally come. Playing on the latest patch, going to go for a 4-4-2 formation, with different variations, 4-4-1-1 etc. Looking to get rid of Jonas and maybe Coloccini, due to their high wages, for what they have to offer. Looking to bring in Toby Alderwiereld or Vertonghen, and maybe a younger CB, Jamaal Lascelles looks promising from Nottingham Forest. Looking to also bring in a CM for cover and 1, possibly 2 wingers with great workrate and crossing ability.

Welcome to the fold, good luck with the save :thup:

Jonas and Colo are both good players and have a lot of time for them irl, but as you point out they are high earners and options to cash in on if you want to make changes in the first season. I've held on to Jonas during the first couple seasons, but with Brunt, Ze Roberto and now Valencia matching him for work effort but providing more in terms of final product he hasn't had a long run in the team at any point. Handy back up player to have though.

Been very surprised at Arsenal under AI control though, Wilshere and Chamberlain both spent most of their time so far rotting in the reserves, Chamberlain actually transfer listed by request at the moment.:eek: Tempted to sign him up if I can persuade the Gunners to drop the price from 12 million.

I might start one up later. Thinking of making a mini-raid on the French league after off-loading Jonas and some other dead-weight, as well as getting some cheeky loan signings in.

My Newcastle team got invited on a pre-season tour of Italy, apparently due to our popularity there...I'm assuming due to the 4 Italian players who I signed the summer before. Got cancelled in the end due to a couple of the Italian teams having to play Euro qualifiers on the proposed dates.

I have a couple more Italian signings in the pipeline with some youngsters being scouted, so hopefully we can get a money spinning tour next summer

So far I have brought in Toby Alderweireld for 4.1mill (Spread over 48 months), and sold Lovenkrands for 1mill. Accepted bids for Perch and Jonas, should bring in about 10 million alltogether. So looking to bring in a CM back-up to Tiote and Cabaye and still looking for a couple of wingers, which is more important.

How are people playing Ba and Cisse? in my 442 formation, which aims to get crosses into the box, neither of them seem to be able to score, played 9 games in the league won 5 and find myself in 8th place. Ba and Cisse have only got 1 goal between them in this time, so something isn't right. I also have a 4-4-1-1 formation rotating upfront with Ben Arfa in AMC behind them, and still don't seem to do a lot. I'm playing a rigid formation which high pressure and a high tempo, direct game if that helps. Also when I play Cisse I have him as a poacher, but set him to run onto balls, with through balls coming from Jenssen or Cabaye depending who I play, with Brunt and Obertan in ML and MR respectively.

How are people playing Ba and Cisse? in my 442 formation, which aims to get crosses into the box, neither of them seem to be able to score, played 9 games in the league won 5 and find myself in 8th place. Ba and Cisse have only got 1 goal between them in this time, so something isn't right. I also have a 4-4-1-1 formation rotating upfront with Ben Arfa in AMC behind them, and still don't seem to do a lot. I'm playing a rigid formation which high pressure and a high tempo, direct game if that helps. Also when I play Cisse I have him as a poacher, but set him to run onto balls, with through balls coming from Jenssen or Cabaye depending who I play, with Brunt and Obertan in ML and MR respectively.

The problem is that the starting wingers for Newcastle aren't actually that good at crossing.

Ben Arfa is not that kind of winger, although he can do a good job. In the first season I played him on ML and he did well, but he has done much better at MR where he can cut inside infront of the defense this season.

Sylvain Marveaux is the closest thing the club has to a winger for the left flank and he is rather good. He outperformed Ben Arfa in the first season and has the skill to be a good left winger but don't expect him to be beating players for pace or skill. If you can create him some space he is great but although being capable of skinning his man he can't do it repeatedly.

Gutierrez is very good on the right flank. Use his pace to get in behind the defense so he is free to pick out your strikers.

Obertan is rather poor but has pace and dribbling ability so use this to get behind the full back to cross.

I'm not too sure how good Brunt is.

I would recommend trying to even out your style of play and get Cabaye and your wingers to supply your strikers with Tiote staying deep protecting against the counter.

When I started my Newcastle save I tried to base my attacks around wingplay due to the complete forwards (physically) we have in Ba and Cisse but once I created more through the middle with Cabaye pulling the strings, the wingplay also improved since I could drag players out of position by switching my focus of attacks from the centre to either wing during a possession.

Have just taken over Newcastle in Mid December 2013, a bit of a club in crisis, floating in the relegation zone.

Ashley got taken over by a Ken Hodcroft somewhen, and with Tony Pullis in charge the club decided to sell players such as Demba Ba, Tiote, Stanton and a fair few of the younger talents whilst not really bringing in any other big names bar Vrsajko and the rather average Rodellega.

With a small squad (22 players) i've managed to pull them up to mid table and am looking to invest heavily in January, strenghting LB, ST, Midfield and youth teams. Hopefully come summer the Geordie nation will be revived

When I play 4-4-2 I've generally used Ba as an Advanced Forward and Cisse as the Poacher. If the front two are Paloschi and Cisse, then Paloschi takes the Poacher role and Cisse is the Advanced Forward. Cisse has done pretty well in both roles for me. I can't remember the exact instructions as I'm at work just now, but generally it's Balanced/Control with a fairly high back line and lots of pressing. The two wide men are both playing as wingers and one MC set to support, the other to Defend. Depending who is fit I play with a Deep Lying Playmaker alongside a Ball Winning Midfielder or sometimes two DLPs. I haven't focused any passing down the wings or anything.

As Lucatonix mentioned none of the starting widemen are particularly brilliant at crossing so they're not going to deliver much as traditional wingers, which is why I went out to sign some better crossers as soon as I could. For the likes of Jonas and Obertan who aren't great crossers I used to ask them to cut inside rather than hug the line and had them set to run with the ball often as possible. Hoping that they'd try to cut into the box and either shoot or lay off a short pass to one of the strikers rather than try and pick out a pinpoint cross and end up blootering it at some poor sod in Row Z.

Brunt is an excellent crosser, and he can play both flanks, but he is left footed. He scored more for me in the first season when he was playing out at AMR, but got almost double the amount of assists in the second season when he played more often at AML. Not sure how much difference it makes but I have the team set to Drill Crosses rather than float them, and we seem to score quite a few diving headers and volleys with strikers just nipping in ahead of the nearest defender.

Have just taken over Newcastle in Mid December 2013, a bit of a club in crisis, floating in the relegation zone.

Ashley got taken over by a Ken Hodcroft somewhen, and with Tony Pullis in charge the club decided to sell players such as Demba Ba, Tiote, Stanton and a fair few of the younger talents whilst not really bringing in any other big names bar Vrsajko and the rather average Rodellega.

With a small squad (22 players) i've managed to pull them up to mid table and am looking to invest heavily in January, strenghting LB, ST, Midfield and youth teams. Hopefully come summer the Geordie nation will be revived

Looks like that could be quite a challenge there....only 22 players to work with, ouch! :eek:

The AI management of Newcastle seems to be hopeless though, constantly ends up fighting relegation on every save I've had.

So after debating whether to go for Hazard or Kagawa, I decided to go for... neither. Hazard went to Man City for £40m and I didn't want to pay Kagawa a silly amount of wages, especially when Shawcross had just joined on £54k per week.

The rest of my dealings were:

IN:

Banfi (regen) - RB - £2.5m - Potenial to challenge for the spot, but at 18 he'll spend most of his time in the reserves.

Sevket Sahin (regen) - LB - £1.2m - Another one for the future. Probably not good enough to challenge yet.

Cecconi (regen) - CB - £2m - As you can tell I'm short of backup for defence. This guy is under 20, yet will probably be rotating next year. Needs a year to develop.

Schroder (regen) - MC/AMC/AML - Free - Some of the key attributes are strong for a 16 y/o. One to watch.

Marvin Beard (regen) - GK - £325k - My only English regen. Mainly bought so I had an U18 keeper.

Ryan Shawcross - £4.1m - After having a shaky defence last year I wanted some more experience.

OUT:

Dan Goslin - £1.8m

Rob Elliot - £950k

Ba - £5m

Ait Fana - Ln fee £1.7m

Marveaux - Ln fee £220k

Ferguson - Ln fee £180k

Vuckic - Ln fee £100k

This season i've decided to stick to my 4-2-3-1 formation at home, but experiment with three strikers(or 1 striker and 2 very advanced wingers) in away games with 3 in the middle. It all seems to be working so far, but I've only just entered September! At least I now have a squad that isn't too large, yet is capable of breaking the top 6 this season.

GK: ter Stegen, Krul

Fullbacks: Bandalovski, Robinson, Santon, Banfi

Centre backs: Shawcross, Bassong, C.Dawson, S.Taylor, C.Clark

Central midfielders: Stepanenko, Tiote, Vass, Ramsey

Attacking midfielders: Sigurdsson, Wilshere, Canales

Wingers: Gaitan, Young, Dos Santos

Strikers: Cisse, Paloschi, Rhodes, Fierro

End of season 2013/14

had a fantastic season and won a quadruple, i won the league cup with mainly youth/reserve players and the odd 1st team player if they had been out injured, beat swansea 4-1 in the final, i won the super cup beating sporting 2-0, the world club championship, beating chivas 3-1 in the semis and corinthians 3-0 in the final, papiss cisse was on fire had scored a hat-trick in both games, i managed to defend my champions league title beating real madrid 1-0 in the final, was dissapointed to lose 2-1 to fulham in the fa cup semi finals and until the last 6 games off the season i was leading city by a point until i lost 5-1 to them and followed that up with a further loss and a draw seeing me miss out on the league title.

Star players

Papiss cisse - 57games 54goals 7.63avg had a fantastic season, was the top goalscorer in the champions cup with 11 goals and 6 in the world club championship.

Seydou Doumbia - 40games 42goals 8.03avg top goalscorer in the league with 31goals

League table

newcastle201314table.png

By foof1984 at 2012-04-14

Transfers

only had the one signing for the first team, jose angel in at lb, the others were all regens

newcastletransfers20131.png

Turned down chelsea, man utd and real madrid so for staying for the long haul

That's a great return on Cisse. How are you playing him? One up top? Poacher?

End of season 2013/14

had a fantastic season and won a quadruple, i won the league cup with mainly youth/reserve players and the odd 1st team player if they had been out injured, beat swansea 4-1 in the final, i won the super cup beating sporting 2-0, the world club championship, beating chivas 3-1 in the semis and corinthians 3-0 in the final, papiss cisse was on fire had scored a hat-trick in both games, i managed to defend my champions league title beating real madrid 1-0 in the final, was dissapointed to lose 2-1 to fulham in the fa cup semi finals and until the last 6 games off the season i was leading city by a point until i lost 5-1 to them and followed that up with a further loss and a draw seeing me miss out on the league title.

Star players

Papiss cisse - 57games 54goals 7.63avg had a fantastic season, was the top goalscorer in the champions cup with 11 goals and 6 in the world club championship.

Seydou Doumbia - 40games 42goals 8.03avg top goalscorer in the league with 31goals

League table

newcastle201314table.png

Transfers

only had the one signing for the first team, jose angel in at lb, the others were all regens

newcastletransfers20131.png

Turned down chelsea, man utd and real madrid so for staying for the long haul

I am having a lot of fun with this save. Welbeck, Ba and Marveaux were monsters in my double winning first season. Here are some screenshots.

leaguef.jpg

fixtures1.jpg

welbeck.jpg

Greetings all,

Bit of an update from my Toon save. Well we’re coming into the final hurdle of the 2012/13 season and I’m pleased to report that with about 8 games to go we are sitting pretty at the top of the pile with a 4 lead over Manchester Utd. So far its been a fantastic season with only three league losses to date and five draws.

As for the cups, we crashed out in the first round of the FA Cup losing 2-1 to Arsenal away – this was one of the most disappointing results of the season considering they played a weak squad and we were at full stretch.

As for the league cup, its quite a different story – after 40 odd years, NUFC lifted their first piece of silverware defeating Reading 3-1 in the final. Overall it was a pretty smooth mission to the final except when I faced City in the quarters. Convinced it would again it would not be my year, I put out the strongest squad I could and hoped for the best. We finished 6-3 winners ☺

Champions League is going strongly also – we finished top of a very strong group including Marseille, Bayern Munich and Ajax with the highlight being HBA ripping the German champs apart 3-1 in a pulsating victory. Now into the knock out and again face Marseille – we lost the first leg 4-3 away but I’m confident we’ve got the players to take us through.

As for the stars of the season, special mentions again go to the front two. Ba has been in mesmerizing form all season with something like 21 goals in 24 games including a couple of lengthy injuries. Cisse, like Ba in the previous season had been slow out of the gate but he’s really starting to hit form of late and scored 4 in my last game taking his tally to 17 league goals for the season with another 10-12 depending to go. Other stars have been the youngster Wilfred Zaha from Palace. Again a slow start but he’s really come of age recently and now has an impressive 10 goals in all competitions for the season. HBA has also been performing well of late with 8 goals this seen. The defense has been a rock with Steven Taylor forcing an England for his outstanding form. Also, special mentions to Obertan, Vuckic, Marveaux and Sammy Ameobi for their roles in the season. Sadly three who’ve not been upto standard are Jonas Cabaye and Tiote – I’m likely to ditch with Jonas and Tiote in the summer and look for replacements.

Anyway, seasons coming to a close – I’ll give an update once I finish and list of transfers too.

Sounds like it's developing nicely there for you Nick, good luck in those last few games.

Haven't started my third season yet as I've been working all weekend, and was the only sod daft enough to volunteer to work the local holiday here today.

Ended up making a few changes to my squad in the close season as I was offered the chance to sign Sami Khedeira from Real Madrid for £4.2 million. I didn't really need him as we had plenty cover in central midfield, but he's a player I like irl and wanted chance to manage him on FM only he'd been too expensive until now.

Was a bit surprised when Ben Arfa decided that there was now too much competition for places at the club and put in a transfer request. This is his third request in two years, he'd withdrawn the previous ones but I was a little fed up and decided to accept PSG's bid of £9.25 million for him.

The other big departure of the summer was Demba Ba, hadn't planned on selling him but Bayern came in with an offer that was very close to his release clause. As he hasn't been quite as effective as Paloschi and Cisse, I decided to accept their £14.25 mill bid. I have an eye on a couple of regen strikers to be his long term replacement, but will have them watched a bit more before I make a definite bid. In the short term I've signed up the transfer listed Marouanne Chamakh as a short term replacement and third striker behind Paloschi and Cisse.

Given his real life travails at Arsenal he might seem a strange signing, but he has solid FM attributes, and always performs fairly reliably on other saves. Provides a slightly different option up front for us as well.

Our biggest deal of the summer though was deciding to spend £11 million to bring Alex-Oxlaide Chamberlain to SJP from Arsenal, he'd fallen out with management there and was transfer listed and I wanted another winger. The chance to add a talented, young English player to the squad was an added bonus for the Champs League quotas.

We've gotten off to a good start to the season with 1 draw and 3 wins, but defensively we've been poor. One of those wins was a 6-5 win over Fulham with some dire performances from Krul, Taylor and others. With that in mind I'm considering meeting the minimum release clause for ter Stegen to give Krul a bit of a kick up the backside with real competition for the number 1 spot.