Sports Interactive Community
DandyDon

FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

I lost to Arsenal 3-1, with injuries to Payet and Cabaye. Luckily I drew Lazio in the Champions League Quater Final and either Arsenal or Lyon in the Semi Final.. got a decent chance of making the final..

Just beaten Lazio 6-1 at home.. could've been 7 but missed a penalty which would have made it 6-1.. they went 1-0 up as well :D

Looking good in Europe :thup:

How did the result at Arsenal affect things? Still clear of Liverpool?

I'm 6 points clear but they've got a game in hand. It's the 1-1 draw with Bolton at home that's hurt me more, really. Luckily I beat Man City away to make up for it, could only beat Lazio 5-0 on the away leg :D

Also Ben Arfa broke his leg against Man City and will be out for 6 months :thdn:

Evening gents... Quick update on my second season. I've just reached New Years Eve 2012 and I'm sitting 5th in the Premier League, 3 points clear of Man City. That 6-2 mauling at Old Trafford remains only league defeat of the season so far and I'm on a 16 match unbeaten run. Only trouble is I'm drawing a lot of games with 9 wins and 8 draws from the other 17 matches. Can only dream of where I may have been if some of those draws were turned to defeats.

In the cup competitions, I qualified for the 1st Knock Out round in the Euro Cup, finishing 2nd overall in the group, and have been drawn against Spartak Moscow. I've also reached the semi-finals of the League Cup, where I'll play Blackburn for a chance to contest the final. FA Cup third round draw will see me play Bristol City away.

On the player front, I'm seeing Cabaye really revel in his DMC role, more so than he did in my first season. He's currently been my chief creator, with 9 assists from 19(2) games which is only 1 assist less than he got in the whole of last season from 29 matches. After a fairly slow start following his debut goal, Papiss Cisse has begun to find the net regularly, with 13 goals in 17(2) appearances, with 7 of those coming in his last 5 games - a brace coming in a 2-1 home win over Sunderland in the first Tyne & Wear derby to endear himself to the fans. Ba has been pretty disappointing with only 4 goals from 10(7) games so far.

Best results so far have been a 2-0 home win over Stoke, which saw us dominate completely with 21 shots to their 1 and 61% possession. (Although only scoring twice from 21 shots was a bit disappointing), a 1-1 draw with in-form Chelsea at Stamford Bridge which included a magnificent defensive display as we were on the back foot for the vast majority of the match, a 4-1 win away to Bolton in the League Cup quarter final, and of course the 2-1 derby win.

Going to look for a striker and a left back (both for backup) as I think they're now the most shallow areas of the team. Santon rarely seems to play well at left-back and there's really only him and Lee Wallace able to fill in that position. I have Tamas Kadar but he's best at centre back for me so I want a natural LB for cover.

Next fixture is a trip to Villa park to take on 17th placed Villa. But I'm absolutely shattered :D so I think I'll play that tomorrow!

To be continued...

@ Andrew

unlucky with the leg break for HBA :( how was he performing for you? Good showing against Lazio though, 11-1 on aggregate, very nice :thup:

@ DarthCraigus

Looking good in the second season there. A little bit of luck in the second half could see a nice finish in the champions league places. If you're in the hunt for a natural left back take a look at Roberto Canella at Real Sporting, very solid player, not particularly flashy or spectacular, but he's currently keeping Aly Cissokho out of my Arsenal team. Very reliable sort and doesn't seem to mind being a rotation player.

i agree with dandy here.. canella is brilliantly consistant .. also check out jose angel.. slightly more expensive but he's younger and more talented aswell

i agree with dandy here.. canella is brilliantly consistant .. also check out jose angel.. slightly more expensive but he's younger and more talented aswell

Damn that Jose Angel....I tried to sign him on my Arsenal save but he chose Roma over us :p He does look a very good player though, going great guns for them.

Just got through to the Champions League Final (against Barcelona) and need just a point at Anfield to claim the title! :D

Currently in the process of a board takeover, hopefully this one doesn't fall through. Next thing on my to do list is buy another left winger :D

Just got through to the Champions League Final (against Barcelona) and need just a point at Anfield to claim the title! :D

Currently in the process of a board takeover, hopefully this one doesn't fall through. Next thing on my to do list is buy another left winger :D

Good luck for the Final :thup: and with the takeover.

Who have you got playing left wing at moment? Or was it the unfortunate Ben Arfa?

Anybody else find it really difficult to get any good scouts to sign for them in the first season?

Anybody else find it really difficult to get any good scouts to sign for them in the first season?

A lot of the really obvious good scouts won't sign for Newcastle at the start of the game as the club doesn't really have a high enough rep for them to consider. If you have a decent first season you'll be able to attract guys like D'Onofrio. There are some good scouts out there who'll consider signing for Newcastle, if they haven't moved somewhere already.

Guys like Paul Johnson, Bernd Forster (German Scout), Willy Sagnol (French), Daniel da Silva (Brazilian), Gianluca Nani (Italian) and Eduardo Macia (Spanish) were all available as free agents on my Newcastle save. So was Tino Asprilla.

Most of them are still at the club 5 years later and doing a very good job as well.

Managed to sell Obertan for £4.5m in January to Brum \o/ He had only played like 4 games for me. Chelsea came in with a £12.25m bid for Coloccini which I couldn't turn down. Signed Kaboul (£3.7m) & Shawcross (£6.5m) to replace him.

Managed to sell Obertan for £4.5m in January to Brum \o/ He had only played like 4 games for me. Chelsea came in with a £12.25m bid for Coloccini which I couldn't turn down. Signed Kaboul (£3.7m) & Shawcross (£6.5m) to replace him.

It takes two men just to replace the hair :D

Good deals though bringing in Kaboul and Shawcross :thup:

Haha. Shawcross's agent was brilliant. I'm only paying him £1k more than what he was on at Stoke. Had a bid for Jonas from Inter, £9m, which I accepted, but he rejected them. Luckily Senegal didn't qualify for the ACN, so I've still got the 2 Ba's.

I usually play with Liverpool, being a fan of them, but this save is the most fun I've had on FM12.

Haha. Shawcross's agent was brilliant. I'm only paying him £1k more than what he was on at Stoke. Had a bid for Jonas from Inter, £9m, which I accepted, but he rejected them. Luckily Senegal didn't qualify for the ACN, so I've still got the 2 Ba's.

I usually play with Liverpool, being a fan of them, but this save is the most fun I've had on FM12.

How are the Dembii doing for you so far?

Demba Ba - Played 23, scored 10 with 6 assists.

Papiss Cisse - Played 12 (4), scored 11 with 2 assists.

Cabaye has 13 assists in 23 games, with Be Arfa with 11 assists in 19 games.

Sitting 5th in the table. I was second, but I've not been playing well recently, plus it's very tight up there.

Pretty solid showing from them so far.

Nice to see Ben Arfa doing well for you, just couldn't seem to get him playing on my save.

A lot of the really obvious good scouts won't sign for Newcastle at the start of the game as the club doesn't really have a high enough rep for them to consider. If you have a decent first season you'll be able to attract guys like D'Onofrio. There are some good scouts out there who'll consider signing for Newcastle, if they haven't moved somewhere already.

Guys like Paul Johnson, Bernd Forster (German Scout), Willy Sagnol (French), Daniel da Silva (Brazilian), Gianluca Nani (Italian) and Eduardo Macia (Spanish) were all available as free agents on my Newcastle save. So was Tino Asprilla.

Most of them are still at the club 5 years later and doing a very good job as well.

None of these guys want to join me either. As you say, hopeful a good season will increase the club rep and attract a better quality of staff. Currently sitting 5th at the start of December so I'm pleased with the way things are going so far.

None of these guys want to join me either. As you say, hopeful a good season will increase the club rep and attract a better quality of staff. Currently sitting 5th at the start of December so I'm pleased with the way things are going so far.

Slightly odd, they were all willing to join Newcastle in the first season on my save. :confused:

EDIT: What about Jimmy Hampson? Starts the game at West Ham, so maybe he'd be willing to move to a club at a higher level. Or Alexandre Coelin at Atletico Mineiro?

Good luck for the Final :thup: and with the takeover.

Who have you got playing left wing at moment? Or was it the unfortunate Ben Arfa?

It's the same business man who tried to buy the club in another attempted takeover. Won 3-1 at Liverpool so I would've had it presented at my next home game against Sunderland :D

SOMEHOW managed to beat Barca 3-2 after extra time despite being 2-1 up within 20 minutes.. Jonny Evans gave away a penalty after 80 minutes, but Damiao scored again to claim the Golden Boot from Messi. HBA won best player with an average rating of 8.29!

I'm buying a winger as Drenthe and Marveuax will be leaving, so i'll only have Jonas and Payet as wingers.

Started a new Newcastle-game last week, using LFCMarshalls update. Just finished my first season - in stylish manner!

3rd in the league, won the FA-cup, and lost the Carling Cup-final...

Bought Ait Fana, Vrsaljko, Clyne and Malonga in the summer, and then Shawcross and Vass in january.

Sold a LOT of players, including Ameobi, Løvenkrands, Guthrie, Ranger, Jonas, Best, Raylor, Harper - and Coloccini in january.

Just signed Eden Hazard for £37M (over 48 months - my first and only). Playing 4-2-2-2 with Trq+Poacher, but cant really get Ba going as i wont to. How are you playing him?

I played him as a poacher, he did quite well before I sold him in the second season to Juventus for £9m

Well, tried that a couple of times, and he did okay. But then I have to use Cissé as Trq. But i give it a try!

He played 29 (5) games in all competitions for me with 11 goals.. nothing special, so I didn't hesitate at accepting £9m up front.

Thinking of signing Stevan Jovetic.. my new owner ins't going to invest anything extra, but did get him to upgrade the youth facilities and I have a budget of £53m for Champions League Qualification. Could've had £64m if I thought I could win the League but i'm not that confident! Should have a good £20m left over after I buy him :D

edit: ooh just been offered the England job - for the first time in my life I think i'll reject :D

Well disappointment :( My unbeaten league run came to an end, 3-2 defeat to Aston Villa with Charles Insomnia of all people bagging a brace which included a late winner. A 2-1 win away to Bristol City saw me through to the FA Cup 4th round where I'll travel to Notts Forest. Away to Man City next (who are a place below me in 6th and on a 3 game losing streak in the league) but may play that tomorrow, if I don't switch off now I'll end up with 'one more game' syndrome. lol

In my pursuit to sign a left-back I have brought in Dodo from Corinthians for £3.5m. Looked at the options you guys suggested but would've been paying a bit more than I wanted to. Tried to get Ryan Bertrand who was transfer listed by Chelsea at £1.6m but opted for Dodo as he looked the better choice and is a few years younger.

Looking to make Kyle Naughton my next purchase. Bolton have quoted £3m in response to my initial £1.5m offer so I'm going to try and negotiate it down a little more. Still wouldn't mind another striker as cover for Ba & Cisse as Ameobi hasn't been great so far this season (and let's face it 4 goals from 17 appearances is not a great return for Ba either!). I've given Adam Campbell a couple of games and he's one I'd really like to develop but if I can get somebody cheap with a bit of experience and quality I'd like to do that to see me through to the end of the season.

@ Andrew

Jovetic would be a great buy, but I think you'd have to pay a hefty fee to get him. I was able to pick him up fairly cheaply on FM11, but he was something of a forgotten man then with his injury problems. On FM12 he's been in demand on my saves, scouts reckoned he'd cost us about £40 million.

@ Darthcraigus

Dodo should be a decent option if he turns out anything like he did on last years game. The other Kyle, Mr Walker usually ends up available pretty cheaply if you're looking for another right back, he's been transfer listed for less than £5 mill on all of my FM12 saves so far. Ended up at Blackburn for £3.1 mill in second season on my current save.

Good luck with the Citeh match (tonight or tomorrow whichever way it happens :D) and the striker search.

I got him for £30m and £5m in various extra fees, £10m up front. Honestly couldn't think of anyone better. I'm still having trouble getting scouts even with a 4* reputation now.. unrealistic transfer filtering leaves me with just 3 scouts who have 15 for the 2 key stats.. all 3 are my scouts!

About to start as NUFC (for the third time) only got the game yesterday so getting to grips with it.

Not sure how to use the team right now, but I'm not going to give up this time after defeats (destructions) to Wigan and Norwich the other times round.

I couldn't stop myself from giving Coloccini a new contract for a year. So now I have him, Taylor, Evans, Perez and Musacchio competing for two places. Perez is 2* out of 4* and has played extremely well whenever i've played him.. does anyone think it would be worth loaning him out?

e: TRC, are you planning on keeping the likes of Ameobi/Perch?

Trying to sell them, can't shift either. I kind of feel Shola should be allowed to retire with NUFC though, so I might keep him for mackem slaying.

Had a very exciting summer, making a lot of transfers:

nt2.png

That gives me the following squad for the next season:

ntac.png

If its necessary i will buy an attacker and a defender in january, if all of my african players is away. Last season Senegal didnt qualify, leaving me with Cissé and Ba at home :)

Finished my first season as boss and it was a tale of two cities. Well, Newcastle and wherever else we played. We finished 8th in the league with 58 points, but 46 of these came at home. We had a record of 14 wins, 4 draws and only 1 loss (against Wolves!) at home. So with Paloschi joining in the summer I've decided to try and create a second tactic with two upfront to play away from home. We did have success in the FA Cup, winning it 2-0 against Aston Villa.

Top goalscorers:

Ba - 27(8) - 10 goals

Jonas - 29(4) - 10 goals

Ait Fana - 32(8) - 9 goals

Cisse - 22(2) - 7 goals

Cabaye - 33(6) - 7 goals

Top assisters:

Cabaye - 33(6) - 15 assists

Jonas - 29(4) - 10 assists

Ben Arfa - 21(14) - 7 assists

Cisse - 22(2) - 6 assists

Ait Fana - 32(8) - 4 assists

Gaitan - 16(3) - 4 assists

Special mentions to Stepanenko (7.23), Steven Taylor (7.20) and Craig Dawson (7.04) who all had high average ratings. At the moment I'm brining in Sigurdsson, Paloschi, Fierro and a DM regen. I've also got my eyes on Gio Dos Santos who could be available for under £3m. With the amount of attacking players coming in I've decided that I will try to shift Obertan, Marveaux and Ben Arfa. Erick Pieters will return back to PSV after his loan and it's unlikely I'll make an effort ot keep him as I have Ciaran Clark now. I'm in two minds whether to sell Coloccini. I think I could get close to £10m for him and Shawcross could come in at around that price and is younger and would cost less on wages.

I don't seem to be cutting teams open on this. Gutierrez seems to just run with the ball all game. Got beat off QPR at home, embarrassing. Playing a flat 4-4-2, fluid, control.

Hamzterz - If you can get that team performing you should easily be able to challenge for the title, and perhaps go on to win it, especially after those quality signings.

Outclassed - I would recommend selling Colo if you can get up to £10m for him, although it depends on how you play your centre backs if you want ot get Shawcross, as he's just a better version of Taylor, and both play best as stoppers. If you play with two stoppers then Shawcross would be perfect, if not you could try for Vertonghen as a suitable cover and for around the same amount.

TRC - You need to look at how you are conceding your goals, as playing fluid may mean that you are pushing too many forward and are getting caught on the counter. I always start my games as balanced standard and then adjust depending on how the game is playing out, otherwise you could be pushing too many forward at once.

great thread fellas, startin a game with the toon army now after some persuading by my newcastle supporting brother.

Managed to ship out Lovenkrands for 1.5m to Rangers and Perch on loan to Southampton with 250k up front and a 1.1m agreed figure.

I will update my signings as I have several offers out but I have an offer in for Coloccini for 8.5m from City and am very tempted to sell. That 80k wage is scary although I know it will be hard to replace him, but hopefully I can get somebody younger in. Should I accept the offer?

great thread fellas, startin a game with the toon army now after some persuading by my newcastle supporting brother.

Managed to ship out Lovenkrands for 1.5m to Rangers and Perch on loan to Southampton with 250k up front and a 1.1m agreed figure.

I will update my signings as I have several offers out but I have an offer in for Coloccini for 8.5m from City and am very tempted to sell. That 80k wage is scary although I know it will be hard to replace him, but hopefully I can get somebody younger in. Should I accept the offer?

If you want rid of them high wages go for it mate, there are plenty of younger players out there for cheaper wages that will develop into a player as good as.

He's a good player to hang on to if you can.

Having said that, if you want to get the wage spending under tight control then his pay is the most obvious dent in the budget. I'd try and see if you can persuade Mancini to part with a little more cash for him though.

If you do sell him, like CrD says there are some good young players out there capable of doing the job. (A forum fave appears to be the defensive midfielder Kara, who with a a little retraining makes an excellent centre back)

I've kept him all the way until the 2015/16 season (but this might be one year too far). His wages have dropped by 50% and he's still the second best defender at the club! I'd keep him if I were you, but I can see why people sell him due to his age as well.

I could never really get Ba playing for me either, but don't think his horribly low rated composure helped any.

Looking at Cisse I'd play him as a Poacher. He's got great finishing and composure and he's no slouch pace wise, pretty sure that's how I used him on the demo. He did seem to take quite a while to find his feet in the new league for me, but once he did he started scoring very regularly.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Signed Kouyate, Pieters, Verratti and trying to get some guy called Quintero. See how my 5th save as Newcastle works.

So I sold Coloccini in the end for just over £5m to Milan. I'm also not paying anything towards his wages. I know it's not the best price, but I wanted to lower my wage expenditure and he was on a pretty huge contract. Other losses so far in this window are Obertan (£3.5m), Xisco (£1.8m) and Raylor (£1.3m). IIRC I'm paying £2kp/w for Xisco and Raylor until the end of this season. My wage expenditure for the majority of last season was £730k p/w, this is now down to £695k and I still need to shift Forster and maybe sell Ben Arfa.

IN:

ter Stegen - £4.5m - Coming in as 1st choice keeper.

Sigurdsson - £8m - Will play behind my lone striker and I'm hoping he'll be creating frequently.

dos Santos - £2.7m - Bargain for such a talented player. He'll rotate with my other RW and whoever is in the best form will play.

Bassong - £2m - Fantastic stats. He's been brought in to play at LB so I have an aerial presence there. Can also play CB if injuries get in the way.

Paloschi - Free - Good little poacher who will be a better backup than Jordan Rhodes. In my new away formation he'll get more games because I play 2 up top.

Francois - £2.2m - DM regen who has some decent defensive stats. Hard to see if he'll see any gametime this season.

Overall I've spent £19m and brought in £12m from transfers. This will change once Forster can be moved on. I'm trying to get a squad that has two good players for each position:

GK: ter Stegen/Krul

RB: Bandalovski/Gosling

LB: Bassong/Santon

CB: Taylor/Clark

CB: Dawson

DM: Cabaye/Vass

DM: Tiote/Stepanenko

AMR: Gaitan/dos Santos

AML: Ait Fana/Jonas

AMC: Sigurdsson/Ben Arfa

ST: Cisse/Ba/Paloschi/Rhodes

Any feedback on my squad and where I can improve? At the moment I'm trying to negotiate deals for Jack Robinson and Ross Barkley, but both clubs want high transfer fees for them. Robinson would come in as backup to Bassong, leading to me selling Gosling or loaning him out. Barkley would arrive and this would deifnitely signal the end for Ben Arfa.

@ Outclassed

If you can do without signing Robinson straight away his price usually nosedives, he didn't get offered a new contract on my saves so either ended up sold cheaply, or leaving them on a free.

Squad looks pretty strong overall, have fun with Super Siggy, he's been fantastic playing as a Treq behind the lone striker for me. Great price for ter Stegen too :thup:

Hamzterz - If you can get that team performing you should easily be able to challenge for the title, and perhaps go on to win it, especially after those quality signings.

Actually we're on top after 8 games (7W, 1L). Lost heavy against Man Utd though.

My attackers wont perform! Doumbia scored 2 goals, Cissé 5 and Ba 1. In 12 games. Bassong's been deadly on corners! 188cm, 17 heading, 16 jumping, 16 positioning... 8 goals!

Lost the Community Shield to Fulham 1-0 despite having twice as many shots as them. :(

Also, still trying to get rid of Drenthe and Marveaux, but no one will bid, even when I offered them for £0! Marveaux is even 'expecting to leave the club in the near future' 'wants first team football' and is worried that time is running out to sell him! They're costing me an extra 60k a week.

Has anyone been able to choose their own feeder team? I have.. i've never chosen one before, i'm thinking a championship/league one side? Somewhere where my youth players will get football.. I was thinking Colchester, Swindon or Bournemouth?

Well disappointment :( My unbeaten league run came to an end, 3-2 defeat to Aston Villa with Charles Insomnia of all people bagging a brace which included a late winner. A 2-1 win away to Bristol City saw me through to the FA Cup 4th round where I'll travel to Notts Forest. Away to Man City next (who are a place below me in 6th and on a 3 game losing streak in the league) but may play that tomorrow, if I don't switch off now I'll end up with 'one more game' syndrome. lol

In my pursuit to sign a left-back I have brought in Dodo from Corinthians for £3.5m. Looked at the options you guys suggested but would've been paying a bit more than I wanted to. Tried to get Ryan Bertrand who was transfer listed by Chelsea at £1.6m but opted for Dodo as he looked the better choice and is a few years younger.

Looking to make Kyle Naughton my next purchase. Bolton have quoted £3m in response to my initial £1.5m offer so I'm going to try and negotiate it down a little more. Still wouldn't mind another striker as cover for Ba & Cisse as Ameobi hasn't been great so far this season (and let's face it 4 goals from 17 appearances is not a great return for Ba either!). I've given Adam Campbell a couple of games and he's one I'd really like to develop but if I can get somebody cheap with a bit of experience and quality I'd like to do that to see me through to the end of the season.

Mixed bag for me since this post. Seeing Villa end my 16 match unbeaten run really affected my team as we went on to lose our next 3 league games.

Man City (A) 0-4

Man Utd (H) 0-3

QPR (A) 2-3

There were some welcome interruptions in the form of cup games, the Bristol City 2-1 win being followed by an 8-5 (winning 3-2 away/5-3 home) aggregate League Cup semi-final win over Blackburn to take us to Wembley where we'll play Man Utd, who've played me twice already this season scoring 9 and conceding only 2 in both meetings. This comes only 3 days after the second leg of the Euro Cup 1st knockout round away to Spartak Moscow. To say I'm not confident of securing my first trophy on FM12 is an understatement. lol

Managed to stop the rot in the league with a 1-1 draw at home to Arsenal and after a disappointing 1-1 draw away to Forest in the FA Cup I'm now about to face 19th placed Fulham at Craven Cottage, hoping I can get the league campaign back on track. The Forest result was fairly disappointing as while I opted to field some youth and some fringe players I should've still had more than enough to comfortably win the match with the likes of Gallas, Granero, Gosling (only just noticed the alliteration there!) and Marveaux all starting.

January saw Kyle Naughton (£2.3m) and Tiago Ilori (£3.5m) join to bolster my defensive ranks. I cannot for the life of me get rid of Xisco, who I stupidly promised I would let go in the January transfer window, which slammed shut after seeing nobody attempt to take him off my hands even for free. £50k p/w I could do with saving.

So two draws and a win in my last 3 after 4 defeats in the previous 6 games. Hopefully it's onwards and upwards in the latter half of the season for me!

How is possible to upload some pictures?

THX

Some instructions on this thread Koko:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/229569-Official-Forum-FAQ-The-Answer-to-all-your-Questions!

But basically just press ALT & F9 on whichever screen you want to take a shot of, then upload it to pic sharing site like imageshack and it will generate the link you need for the forum. :thup:

Well, thats more like it. In the past 12 games, Doumbia scored 12 goals.

Now in December 31st, we're still at top, 6 points clear of United. Just qualified for 2nd round i CL where we're going up against Porto. We played 1-1 against Barca at home (they scored on corner in 89th minut) and 3-3 away. Undefeated in the last +3 months, and won 4-1 against City and 4-0 against Spurs (last years champion).

Eden Hazard is fantastic!