Sports Interactive Community
DandyDon

FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

Could you afford the wages for Sturridge on loan? Assuming he is still listed as available for loan on the update you're using.

How cheap would you be looking for?

I was about to recommend a couple of possibilities, but then realised they would most likely have been heading off to ACoN in January as well, so been thinking about a couple options from Europe or South America.

Ajax would have accepted a pretty reasonable £3.5 million for Kolbeinn Sigporsson in the first season of my Arsenal save. Vaclav Kadlec might be availble for about the same or Jay Rodriguez from Burnley (he got some very good reviews earlier in this thread)

If you're looking for cheap as chips try Agustin Torassa, Argentinian player but with Italian second nationality so no work permit problems. He's not a 'top top striker' but he has good pace, finishing and composure would make a useful back up striker for somewhere between £100,000 and £300,000.

Sturridge wouldn't be a bad option and could send him back when the season is finished. Tried going for Sigporsson but he's not interested, keep getting quoted £4m+ for Rodriguez and I can't find Torassa on my game. But when I get to Jan, Sturridge will be the likly option. :thup:

Already planning for next season. Carlos Fierro will be joining, as will Gylfi Sigurdsson. So depending on how successful Marveaux and Ben Arfa are, I might sell one of them next year.

Sturridge wouldn't be a bad option and could send him back when the season is finished. Tried going for Sigporsson but he's not interested, keep getting quoted £4m+ for Rodriguez and I can't find Torassa on my game. But when I get to Jan, Sturridge will be the likly option. :thup:

Already planning for next season. Carlos Fierro will be joining, as will Gylfi Sigurdsson. So depending on how successful Marveaux and Ben Arfa are, I might sell one of them next year.

Torossa starts at a club called All Boys in the Argentine Premier Division. Not sure if you need just a large database for him, or to have the Argentinian leagues loaded.

Super Siggy should do a great job once he arrives :D Also if you're planning for the next season ahead of time Alberto Paloschi's contract expires at the end of the 1st season. Fast, skillful poacher available for free :thup:

hi i am about to stat a newcastle game always wanted to do one but never have could some one recoend me the est tactic for newcastle and how to get best outta tiotie and cabaye thanks :D

hi i am about to stat a newcastle game always wanted to do one but never have could some one recoend me the est tactic for newcastle and how to get best outta tiotie and cabaye thanks :D

Welcome to the thread Scott and good luck with your Toon save :thup:

Best formation will probably depend on whether you're starting with a transfer update that includes both the Dembas or starting with the squad as it was at the end of August.

If you have both Ba and Cisse, then probably go for some version of 4-4-2 so you can use them as a partnership otherwise I personally think 4-2-3-1 is your best starting formation. Cabaye makes for an ideal deep-lying playmaker but maybe tweak his attacking and creative freedom slightly. If you use Tiote as an MC then probably best as a ball winning midfielder, if you use him at DM then maybe as an anchor man. At least that's generally how I used him, plenty of folks on the tread played him differently to great effect.

Let us know how you get on. :)

than you for being so helpful :) always wanted to do a newcastle save but dunno just neva had time :( think im gona use 4231 thanks for the help wid cabaye intructions :)

Sorry I havn't been in here recently, lads. Yesterday I started a network save, which I had to drop because of other commitments away from FM and I've been editing endlessly.

I've been contemplating as to whether I should start a new Newcastle save. I wasn't entirely pleased with how I did in the Transfer Window on my current save, and I've now edited most transfers. Advice would be welcomed :D

llew.. are you editing them all yourself or using a custom downloaded one and obviously adding any corrections yourself?

Sorry I havn't been in here recently, lads. Yesterday I started a network save, which I had to drop because of other commitments away from FM and I've been editing endlessly.

I've been contemplating as to whether I should start a new Newcastle save. I wasn't entirely pleased with how I did in the Transfer Window on my current save, and I've now edited most transfers. Advice would be welcomed :D

if you can somehow find enough hours in the day...start a new Newcastle save, make the most of Ba and Cisse, the Dembii (:D plural borrowed shamelessly from a poster on the match day thread on Football forum....forget the name so can't give full credit where it's due).

Editing any attributes? if you are I'd give Ba's composure a nudge upwards it is pretty underrated at the moment. Cisse looked about right from what I remember.

Was first in the league for a few weeks until I lost to Liverpool (the leaders), drew with Sunderland and lost to Tottenham (the champions). Also, January 2014 window now, had Chelsea offer £22m for Cabaye as it was his minimum fee release clause, offered him a new deal for 97k (promptly removing the clausein the process). Also, in the process of a takeover from a consortium :D

I'm playing with updated transfers :thup:

Only 6 games into the season (October), but my attacking players are performing magnificently!

Gutierrez: P:6, G:5, A:6

Cisse: P:6, G:3, A:3

Cabaye: P:5, G:3, A:3

Ba: P:3(1), G:2, A:2

Ait Fana: P:4(1), G:1, A:3

llew.. are you editing them all yourself or using a custom downloaded one and obviously adding any corrections yourself?

No, I do them all myself :thup: Don't like using LFCMarshall's or anybody like that because they make some stupid CA/PA changes to players who have no where near deserved it. They also tend to make players who aren't already on the game, like Enzo Zidane on FM11, and give them about -10 PA because they're the son of a former footballer!

if you can somehow find enough hours in the day...start a new Newcastle save, make the most of Ba and Cisse, the Dembii (:D plural borrowed shamelessly from a poster on the match day thread on Football forum....forget the name so can't give full credit where it's due).

Editing any attributes? if you are I'd give Ba's composure a nudge upwards it is pretty underrated at the moment. Cisse looked about right from what I remember.

Good plural of the Demba's there ;) Seeing that it's only a handful of edits needed, I'm going to do it via FMRTE. Much easier. I'm hoping to get my save up by tonight :thup: Would've had it up last night but, I had a football match.

I'm playing with updated transfers :thup:

Only 6 games into the season (October), but my attacking players are performing magnificently!

Gutierrez: P:6, G:5, A:6

Cisse: P:6, G:3, A:3

Cabaye: P:5, G:3, A:3

Ba: P:3(1), G:2, A:2

Ait Fana: P:4(1), G:1, A:3

That's quite a return from Jonas in his 6 games :eek: What have you been feeding him?

@Llew

I've been avoiding any transfer updates, commentary packs or other edited files this year after having so many saves get corrupted on FM11. Just as a precaution really. Haven't had any save game problems this year so far (touches skull as pretty sure desk isn't real wood), apart from 2 saves lost when my desktop system died but that was my own fault for not backing them up on the external hard drive.

Good luck with the save once you get it up and running :thup:

Hi Guys, finally bought FM12 last weekend and just finished my first season at Newcastle.

Overall a very good season.

Transfers in:

Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea season long loan

Marc Muniesa from Barcelona season long loan

James McFadden free transfer

Lee Wallace from Rangers £3m (January window)

Transfers out:

No sales, various loans of promising youngsters including Abeid, Donaldson, Sammeobi, Tavernier & Ferguson.

Team line up - First choice then cover/rotation in brackets:

4-2-3-1

GK - Krul (Harper)

RB - Santon (Simpson/Ryan Taylor)

CD - Coloccini (Williamson)

CD - Steven Taylor (Kadar/Muniesa)

LB - Wallace (Santon/Muniesa)

DM - Tiote (Perch)

DM - Cabaye (Gosling)

AMR - Obertan (Guttierez)

AMC - Ben Arfa (Vuckic)

AML - McFadden (Marveux)

ST - Ba (Sturridge/Ameobi)

Final league position: 5th - W 22 D 5 L 11 F 61 A 48 Pts 71

Top 4 - Man Utd 84 Pts, Arsenal 81 Pts, Man City 76 Pts, Tottenham 71 Pts.

FA Cup - 6th Round (Knocked out by eventual winners Man City)

League Cup - 4th Round (Knocked out by eventual winners Man Utd)

----------

Second season underway with an £18m transfer budget (went with caution and aimed for a top half finish), these are my dealings so far;

Transfers in:

Papiss Cisse from Freiburg £16.25m (over 48 months) - He's only worth £10m IRL!! ;)

Junior Hoilett from Blackburn £11.25m (over 48 months)

Anthony Vanden Borre from Genk free transfer

Jack Butland from Birmingham £2.1m

Plus two regens, a 16 YO central defender and a 15 YO striker.

Transfers out:

Leon Best to Southampton £2m

Danny Guthrie to Swansea £2.5m

Fraser Forster to Southampton £2.1m

Nile Ranger to Blackpool season long loan for £100k with a view to a £1.9m transfer.

Danny Simpson currently in talks with Stoke over a £2.4m transfer.

Have knocked back an £11m bid from Liverpool for Cabaye, and a £7.25m deal for Dan Gosling to Birmingham fell through when he failed to agree terms with them.

Played a few friendlies with generally good results aside from a shock 3-2 home reverse to Chivas. Eagerly awaiting news of who I'm drawn against in the Euro Cup qualifiers. Will update later this week when I've played some more. Suffice to say after not playing FM11 at all (first CM/FM game I've not bought since CM97/98) I am absolutely hooked on this game now. I am a big console gamer and generally spend loads of time on the Xbox but all I've been playing this last week is FM. It's good to be back! :)

@DarthCraigus

Welcome back to FM then dark lord of the Sith. :D

Excellent first season there :thup:

Wonder if you might need a few more reinforcements for the 1st team though with the added challenge of Europa league football?

Have knocked back an £11m bid from Liverpool for Cabaye

Can just imagine the transfer talks with Kenny.

"He isn't the midfield playmaker you're looking for....."

Ahem....right I'll get me coat

Hahaha Yeah that's kinda how it went DandyDon! :thup:

I am indeed worried about the squad having just finished my pre-season fixtures. All of them were against much lower quality opposition and we really struggled in many of the games.

I have a bad feeling about this...

Right I'll stop with the Star Wars puns now! :D

12 days to go until the season opener, I am going to spend that time trying to do a bit of shopping! I think I could possibly do with another central defender because if one of Taylor or Colo gets crocked then I'm left with only Williamson as an experienced centre half, and looking at the DM position I am not entirely thrilled with the cover I have for Cabaye & Tiote. I am fairly happy with the attacking options I have with Cisse, Ba, Ben Ara, Vuckic, McFadden, Jonas & Obertan. Ameobi proved he can put the ball in the back of the net with 13 goals last season so I'm happy to keep him this season as backup to the Geordie boys from Senegal.

Edit - Just drawn Dinamo Moscow in the 4th round qualifiers for the EURO Cup. Away first leg, that draw could've been kinder.

Not sure how much you've got left budget wise but Taras Stepanenko at Shakhtar or Fernando at Porto for DM cover, I think either could (possibly) be available for less than £5 million in the second season.

Not sure how much you've got left budget wise but Taras Stepanenko at Shakhtar or Fernando at Porto for DM cover, I think either could (possibly) be available for less than £5 million in the second season.

Sign Stepanenko. Now.

On the way to work, really could do with playing FM though. :-( saved last night pretty much just after the EURO draw. I'll take a look at Stepanenko tonight, thanks for the tip! Heard a few people say they've had success with Shawcross, he comes highly recommended from my scouts, but I'm put off by the price tag.

Try buying Jonny Evans if he's transfer listed? He cost me £3.7m and he was one of my best players, I spent all of the summer after his first season rejecting offers as high as £11m for him.

Cheers Andrew - I'll have a look at him too when I stick the game on tonight. Although I'm not looking to spend loads as I'm happy with Colo & Taylor for my first choice partnership.

Has anybody had any joy in getting rid of the likes of Rob Elliott, James Perch and Xisco? I just have absolutely no takers for them whatsoever on my game and I'm looking to slash the wage bill as much as possible.

I doubt you'll get any bids for Elliott as he's a relatively new arrival, might be able to send him out on loan.

Xisco and Perch seem to be the two hardest to shift, the AI still has them languishing in the reserves on one of my other saves. Have you tried offering them out on loan to see if anyone will take them at least for a few months? Can always try and talk the clubs into paying 100% of their wages for you at least.

I got rid of Perch in the first season for £1m to Birmingham, who soon sold him the next season. You'll most likely just have to wait for Xisco's contract to run out, no one even wants him as a free agent on my save, what chance did I have of selling him? :D

e: having a terrible run of form atm.. just lost to Watford away in the first leg of the LC Semi Final, drew with Derby, i'm falling behind in the title race and morale is plumetting! Signed that Uruguayan defender I posted in the buy/sell thread, and also this great striker from Middlesbrough, for a mere £2m in compensation! Was going to wait until the summer, but I saw Arsenal offered him a contract so I thought i'd go for it.. 1.5* out of 4.5* :D

double edit: transfer embargo in place, the consortium will name Unai Emery as the new manager! This is NOT fair. FA Cup x2, League Cup, Community Shield and Euro Cup? eugh :(

Signed Kagawa, Adam Johnson, Giroud and Henderson so far in January and maybe Coates and Boudebouz aswell.

My team started to lose form during November and December was horrific went with out winning a single game! In January i was getting some very good offers for Jonas, Obertan, Paloschi, Boswinga, Heinze and Forster and so i've managed to revamp my squad!

crashed out of the champions league with out a win in the group stages after beating Inter Milan to qualify and got knocked out of the league cup aswell. 9th in the league. So far my stand out player has been Stefan Bell a young german centre half.

I got rid of Perch in the first season for £1m to Birmingham, who soon sold him the next season. You'll most likely just have to wait for Xisco's contract to run out, no one even wants him as a free agent on my save, what chance did I have of selling him? :D

e: having a terrible run of form atm.. just lost to Watford away in the first leg of the LC Semi Final, drew with Derby, i'm falling behind in the title race and morale is plumetting! Signed that Uruguayan defender I posted in the buy/sell thread, and also this great striker from Middlesbrough, for a mere £2m in compensation! Was going to wait until the summer, but I saw Arsenal offered him a contract so I thought i'd go for it.. 1.5* out of 4.5* :D

double edit: transfer embargo in place, the consortium will name Unai Emery as the new manager! This is NOT fair. FA Cup x2, League Cup, Community Shield and Euro Cup? eugh :(

Ellison looks like he could turn out to be a bargain at that price :thup: And with a few trophies under your belt I doubt the new board will replace you if the takeover goes through.

Jonny Evans is not interested in me, after telling the press I was interested in him, he shot me down in flames! :mad:

Decided with Gosling and Vanden Borre (who had some good performances pre-season) I'm happy enough with my cover for Tiote & Cabaye. Still on the hunt for a central defender though.

First game of the season up next, Papiss Cisse making his debut in a home match against Aston Villa....... Fate?

Nice start to the new season :)

Newcastle United 3 - 1 Aston Villa (Premier Division)

An efficient performance from Newcastle saw them run out 3 - 1 winners over Aston Villa at St. James' Park. A brace from Gabriel Obertan helped Newcastle to victory.

Striker Darren Bent gave Aston Villa the lead with a close range effort in the 23rd minute. Winger Gabriel Obertan then equalised for Newcastle United in the 32nd minute with a fine header from point-blank range.

Striker Papiss Cissé put Newcastle United in front in the 34th minute with a fierce shot. Obertan completed the scoring for Newcastle United with a real poacher's effort on 73 minutes.

Media-friendly boss Craig Boyle joined Newcastle United in July 2011 and has been in charge for 14 months.

Man of the Match: Gabriel Obertan (Newcastle)

Attendance: 51,897

It's been downhill since that, 2-0 and 3-1 up away to Dinamo Moscow we ended up drawing 3-3 (I'm just about to play the second leg at home) then 3 days later a trip to Old Trafford for our 2nd league match of the season saw us massacred 6-2. Rooney got a hat trick and totally destroyed us. Only good point was seeing Vuckic score his first Newcastle goal with a 25 yard screamer.

It's been downhill since that, 2-0 and 3-1 up away to Dinamo Moscow we ended up drawing 3-3 (I'm just about to play the second leg at home) then 3 days later a trip to Old Trafford for our 2nd league match of the season saw us massacred 6-2. Rooney got a hat trick and totally destroyed us. Only good point was seeing Vuckic score his first Newcastle goal with a 25 yard screamer.

Well at least it's 3 away goals in Europe though! :thup:

Hopefully you can bounce back quickly from the Man Utd result, fingers crossed. Just tell them before the next game that you find their lack of faith disturbing :lol:

Haha I didn't expect my name to generate so many puns! :)

Don't know why I was worried, absolutely battered them 4-0 in the second leg, with Marveaux netting a hat trick. Never in doubt :lol:

Transfer window has just slammed shut. Brought in Gallas on loan until the end of the season, figured he was decent for cover even though he's 35 - I'm hoping it wont turn into another Sol Campbell spell at NUFC! Also signed Esteban Granero for £3m. It's not a position I really needed to strengthen but I couldn't turn that price down.

Attempts to bring in a DM failed with bids for Gelson Fernandes (work permit) and Michael Carrick (wage demands) falling through. Also tried in vain to sign Mohammed Abu on loan from Man City. He's listed for loan but Man City wont even consider loaning him to me. Same with Danny Wilson at Liverpool. Not sure why that would be the case but hey ho, maybe they don't want to loan him to another Prem club.

Granero should be a good deal at that price. :thup:

I actually picked him up for the same price on my Arsenal save and have been playing him out at AMR and he does a cracking job there, 15 assists and 4 MoM awardsfrom 25 games in his first season. Would have been more but he got kicked off the park in one of our matches and missed almost 3 months.

Ellison looks like he could turn out to be a bargain at that price :thup: And with a few trophies under your belt I doubt the new board will replace you if the takeover goes through.

The takeover fell through in the end. Unfortunately the save corrupted and my back up is from around 5 weeks ago, so i've got a lot of catching up to do :thdn:

Jonny Evans is not interested in me, after telling the press I was interested in him, he shot me down in flames! :mad:

Was he transfer listed? He was fairly easy for me to get.

Rafael Toloi is a good buy to either replace Stevie in the current term or long term as he is young..he will already be in a season in Brazil so his match fitness should be good. Cannot seem to get rid of Pete Lovenkrands and Leo Best...did however get rid of the supposedly hard to shift Alan Smith (still have t o pay 22k in wages ) and Perch so were am I going wrong.

Can anyone of you get good scouts by the way? I got the brilliant Graham Carr and some random scout I got from posting an advert but that is about it, unemployed are rejecting me like Finidi George who has good African knowledge and Luciano D'onorio who is probably the best free agent scout. Othe people who manage Newcastle United managed to get these two and other scouts of good quality, whenever I put up a advert I get those crappy generated scouts applying

Can anyone of you get good scouts by the way? I got the brilliant Graham Carr and some random scout I got from posting an advert but that is about it, unemployed are rejecting me like Finidi George who has good African knowledge and Luciano D'onorio who is probably the best free agent scout. Othe people who manage Newcastle United managed to get these two and other scouts of good quality, whenever I put up a advert I get those crappy generated scouts applying

placing an advert never brings the very best scouts you can get applying...

search for them yourself and you should find ones who will sign

Just coming to the end of January (1st season) and sorted out a few deals.

Ciaran Clark (£4.4m) and Nicolas Gaitan (£7m) have arrived at the club, as will Alberto Paloschi when his contract expires in the summer. Danny Guthrie (£1.5m) and Danny Simpson (£4.9m) are the only major outs. I'm still frantically trying to offload Ryan Taylor onto whoever will take him.

I'm hoping to move on Obertan and Marveaux. When the season finishes my squad will look like:

GK: Krul, Forster

RB: Bandalovski, Gosling

LB: Santon, Pieters(If I buy him after loan)

CB: Coloccini, Clark

CB: Taylor, Dawson

DM: Cabaye, Stepanenko

DM: Tiote, Vass

AMR: Gutierrez, Ait Fana

AML: Gaitan, Ba

AMC: Sigurdsson, Ben Arfa

ST: Cisse, Paloschi, Rhodes, Fierro

Some good deals there Outclassed, Gaitan and Ait Fana should provide plenty threat down the wings. :thup:

How's Rhodes working out so far?

Alright, just the one goal in his limited appearances. He's only really been used as a subsitute, but suppose if Cisse goes on a poor run I might try him as a starter for a couple of games in a row.

Beat Sunderland 2-0 in the LC Final and beat Inter Milan 4-2 over both legs in the First Knockout round of the Champions League :D

It's only between me and Liverpool for the title now.. never thought we'd be doing this good in a million years!

I'm 2 points clear with a game in hand. Still got to play them at Anfield though.. and Man City/Arsenal/Chelsea away too. I don't think i've ever won the Premier League this early with Newcastle yet.. hopefully this will be my year :D

e: 29 games gone so far

I'm 2 points clear with a game in hand. Still got to play them at Anfield though.. and Man City/Arsenal/Chelsea away too. I don't think i've ever won the Premier League this early with Newcastle yet.. hopefully this will be my year :D

e: 29 games gone so far

That's a tough old run of away games there....the fixture computer has not been kind!

I lost to Arsenal 3-1, with injuries to Payet and Cabaye. Luckily I drew Lazio in the Champions League Quater Final and either Arsenal or Lyon in the Semi Final.. got a decent chance of making the final..

Just beaten Lazio 6-1 at home.. could've been 7 but missed a penalty which would have made it 6-1.. they went 1-0 up as well :D