Sports Interactive Community
DandyDon

FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

His composure will inevitably be looked at in the last patch. Well, I presume so anyway, because 9 is quite a way off in my opinion at least. He has missed a few, how shall we say, sitters.

Anyway ****ing windows updates mean i have to play my last two Pre-season games plus Bolton away, which i drew 1-1, again :mad: I really quite like this squad though. Looking forward to bringing in some unknown gems though :D

Missing sitters was pretty symptomatic of my 1st season, the amount of times that the central idfield would play in one of the strikers, or Jonas and Obertan only for them to unerringly smack the bacll into the keepers face was quite depressing.

Second season was a massive improvement as I added Moussa Sow and Alberto Paloschi...far more consistent when it came to the old one-on-one situations. :)

Ba's composure surely has to be tweaked at least a bit in any future update though. (I'm sure it was only 8 on my save)

I found Fernando, but the scout reckons he won't be interested in joining me. But, on the good side.. Felipe Melo is transfer listed at Juventus for £5.25m, not sure if I should go for him at age 29, or Charlie Adam. Decisions, decisions!

try Tom Cairney from Hull, got him for around 5-6M, only 21 and an absolute beast - future Scotland international and is infitting with a realistic approach to playing as Newcastle, wages 5-8k pm and wont winge if he doesnt see much first team action since you can sign him as a backup.

I found Fernando, but the scout reckons he won't be interested in joining me. But, on the good side.. Felipe Melo is transfer listed at Juventus for £5.25m, not sure if I should go for him at age 29, or Charlie Adam. Decisions, decisions!

Depending on the type of midfielder you want take a look at Chantome at PSG (another Frenchman :thup:), Andrea Bertolacci from Roma, David Alaba at Bayern Munich (he sometimes doesn't get regular first team football so might be available), Ever Banega at Valencia, Lars Bender at Bayer Leverkusen or Rasmus Elm (Swedish midfielder can't remember which club he starts at) or Armin Bacinovic (can't remember his nationality or club off top of my head).

Couple of those might be too expensive early in the game, depending on circumstance but all worth scouting out.

melo has great natural fitness and physicals if i remember... he'll be good for another 4 years at least imo

By the way, to anyone who's just started a Newcastle save, or is about to. If you're looking for potential wide players I can't recommend Nicolas Gaitan highly enough.

Nicolas Gaitan in 2016

nicolsgaitnoverviewprof.png

I picked him up for £6.5 million from Benfica in the second season. He's left footed, but a natural playing on both wings and pretty comfortable playing at AMC too if need be. As you can see he's got plenty pace, he's a very good crosser, dribbler and passer. Had an amazing season for me last year, finishing with 29 assists in all.

:mad: got Chelsea in the draw for the League cup and despite dominating the 1st half we've gone in at the break 2-1 down with Chelsea scoring with both of their only shots on goal.

EDIT: Manage to equalise in the second half and looked odds on for extra time, only for Chelsea to score a third on 92 minutes with only their 4th shot on goal.......I hate games like that :( Oh well one cup surrendered at the first hurdle

Thanks for the suggestions.. while I was scouting Bertolacci, the scout recommended another midfielder.. Josip Llicic of Palermo. Mainly plays as an AMC, but a quick look shows that he can play on the left, and looks decent at CM. I think it'll be between him and Bertolacci who I try and sign.

Thanks for the suggestions.. while I was scouting Bertolacci, the scout recommended another midfielder.. Josip Llicic of Palermo. Mainly plays as an AMC, but a quick look shows that he can play on the left, and looks decent at CM. I think it'll be between him and Bertolacci who I try and sign.

Cheers, good luck with whichever one you go for in the end :thup:

Think I might go for Llicic as Bertolacci has no intention of joining, I don't want to offer huge wages for him. Definitely will need a winger as all of mine but Jonas are out injured.. thinking of bidding for Marko Marin. Also just beaten Everton 3-0 despite being down to 10 men for 87 minutes :D

SEASON 2015/2016

Well quite unexpected to win the league this season. I hadnt broken into the top 4 before coming 7th four times in a row so to finish champions was pretty special. Even with the team I had there wasn't really any big names in my squad. My home form was incredible , undefeated at home only drawing with arsenal and wolves (they scored in 92nd min) but my away form is pretty bad especially for a team that won the league. I always won the league cup making it the 2nd year in a row that I've won it. I won the fa cup last season and made it to the final this year but lost as I put all my focus into winning the league. My team plan has always been on youth and building a side of two footed players. I have very rarely signed a player that didnt have fairly strong at minimum for his weaker foot.

Also Sunderland got relegated from the championship in the same season

fmtable.jpg

Fmsquad.jpg

fmseasonsummary.jpg

DandyDon, would you recommend signing Gaitan for £19m? I'm a season behind you and he'll probably replace Adam Johnson as my utility wideman. He's got pretty much the same stats as yours, and is at Lazio. Money isn't really a problem.

DandyDon, would you recommend signing Gaitan for £19m? I'm a season behind you and he'll probably replace Adam Johnson as my utility wideman. He's got pretty much the same stats as yours, and is at Lazio. Money isn't really a problem.

I'd say he'd be worth signing even at that price. Obviously if you could talk them down, great, but he's one of the best wide players I've found on this version. So if money is no object like you say then you might as well grab him. I've rejected bids of £20 million + since I bought him anyway. There are other good wide players out there, but I haven't found many with Gaitan's number of good attributes and who can play both flanks (which is probably main reason I rave bout him so much :p)

Other possibilities would be Marko Marin, Diego Perotti, Vladimir Weiss, Pablo Piatti or maybe Willian (the last 2 are more comfortable at AMC, but they have some great attributes for wingers). I reckon they'd all probably cost you about the same as Gaitan though.

Just popping in here to ask one thing: Would you recommend Cheick Tioté to me? I've decided that I want to sign him, whether it will be on my Arsenal or Gladbach save I've yet to decide, as I'm a big fan of him in reality. Does his FM'er ability emulate his performances in reality? :thup:

Just popping in here to ask one thing: Would you recommend Cheick Tioté to me? I've decided that I want to sign him, whether it will be on my Arsenal or Gladbach save I've yet to decide, as I'm a big fan of him in reality. Does his FM'er ability emulate his performances in reality? :thup:

Llew, he has some great Mental attributes to start with and they have some room to improve further, his physical attributes are roughly what you'd expect. His technicals don't look all that, but I think his mental stats make up for it.

The only quibble I'd have is judging by what I've seen of him this season once he shook off the rust from summer break is his passing ability might be a little under rated...but that's just my opinion.

In case you're interested:

he has a starting CA of 148 and a PA of 163

Okay, cheers DandyDon :thup:

That PA is pretty good. Some of his attributes may need some improving with the editor but, other from that and judging by your word, he's pretty good. Cheers again :)

Good God that is a big squad :D

How did Coquelin get on for you?

Most of them are under 22 and they all get a decent run. Coquelin is pretty good, picked him up cheap from liverpool. Ill chuck up a screenshot of him.

Most of them are under 22 and they all get a decent run. Coquelin is pretty good, picked him up cheap from liverpool. Ill chuck up a screenshot of him.

Looks like your strikers were doing the business though...can't quite make out the exact numbers, but looks like three of them bagged 20 goals +

Always nice :D

Had a couple of go's with Newcastle.

The first time i was oot a job before christmas,, but that was due mainly to setting my start of season expectations to title challenge (lol thought what the hell)

The second time tho I lasted until March,,, i brought in W Bridge on loan , Alberto Paloschi 3mil , feghouli loan , and couple of youngster to bolster the squad ,, templeton and Robinson fm hearts and some young italian lad Camporese on loan with buy option from fiorentina

I set the target to a euro place ,, not champ lg so about 6 or 7 place,,, which i didnt think was unrealsitic

Got ravashed by injuries throughout tho,, ben arfa made about 3 starts, ba spent about 3 months out,, paloschi did well scoring about 10 in his first 18 games then too got crocked with a bad injury that sidelined him for 8 months

When i got the sack in march i was only 5 or 6 points of the team in 6th place,,, i had also got them to the League Cup Final and was still in the FA cup,,, so i felt it a bit harsh ,, but not completely unlike Mr Ashley lol

Does seem a bit harsh on that second go there, specially considering you still had April and May fixtures to go.

Going to give it another bash? :p

Yeh i thought harsh, as i was sitting 9 or 10th (hardly relegation material ) and with 2 months left to make up a few points,,, had i won the cup final i would have had the euro place already done too,,,,,Will probably go off and do another challenge first,, but will come back to it later as it still feels infinished buisness

Yeh i thought harsh, as i was sitting 9 or 10th (hardly relegation material ) and with 2 months left to make up a few points,,, had i won the cup final i would have had the euro place already done too,,,,,Will probably go off and do another challenge first,, but will come back to it later as it still feels infinished buisness

Good luck with it when you do :thup: I've generally stuck to the Board's minimum expectations at the start of each season, keeps the pressure off for longer, and there's usually not a big enough hike in budget for picking a higher level of expectation anyway.

First time posting here in the Newcastle forum. I recently had a little go with the Toon after reading many great stories on here by many of you.

As I stand I am 4th in the league and last day of the January transfer window now this is my situation and bad bad baddddd luck I have.

I have Ameobi and Leon Best send out on loan for the season with option to buy after not doing anothing in pre season for me!

I brought in Paloschi scored 10 in 10 then picked up injury and still have to wait 7 weeks before he is back to fitness.

Wilfried also brought in 8 in 11 now injured against 6-7 weeks out!

Demba Ba who hasnt played much is away on duty with Senegal in the African Cup of Nations!

Daniel Sturridge brought in on loan 4 in 9 been playing on the wing but now injured 3 months!!

So I do a purchase in January window of Kevin De Bruyne also now out 3-4 months having come off the bench in first team debut!!!

The only striker I have avalible is Vuckic the rest of the youth out on loan or just not good enough!

Has anyone else ever had such an injury crisis!!!

First time posting here in the Newcastle forum. I recently had a little go with the Toon after reading many great stories on here by many of you.

As I stand I am 4th in the league and last day of the January transfer window now this is my situation and bad bad baddddd luck I have.

I have Ameobi and Leon Best send out on loan for the season with option to buy after not doing anothing in pre season for me!

I brought in Paloschi scored 10 in 10 then picked up injury and still have to wait 7 weeks before he is back to fitness.

Wilfried also brought in 8 in 11 now injured against 6-7 weeks out!

Demba Ba who hasnt played much is away on duty with Senegal in the African Cup of Nations!

Daniel Sturridge brought in on loan 4 in 9 been playing on the wing but now injured 3 months!!

So I do a purchase in January window of Kevin De Bruyne also now out 3-4 months having come off the bench in first team debut!!!

The only striker I have avalible is Vuckic the rest of the youth out on loan or just not good enough!

Has anyone else ever had such an injury crisis!!!

That's pretty horrific luck mate....my sympathies.

Had an injury crisis on FM11 that once wiped out almost my entire defence for several games. Had to resort to playing central midfielders back there and some 16yo youth team players....cost us the title that year.

Yep, I bought Artem Milevskyi for £13m and he was out for around 4 months, never been the same player since his bright start. Also at one point I only had 1 fit defender (Steven Taylor) for around 3 weeks - that was a tough month, and then this year the only winger I had at one point was LuaLua.

At least i've just won the 2012 League Cup and am through to the second knock out round in Europe. Both Illicic and Payet have made exceptional starts, and Tiago Alves scored on his debut, I think he's got 3 goals in 8 games, not bad for £2m as backup.

Been thinking about a change of tactics.. something to use wingers and two up front now that i've got 4 strikers, i'll have to have a look at what might work later tonight.

Just played Chelsea at home in the league and lost 2-0 but had the best of the chances 9 on target but when you dont have a striker it doesnt help... not one bit!!

This could cost me the league cup final and a possible place in Europe!!

Could you write this stuff...

Carling Cup Final against Man Utd and the day before keeper Krul injured in training so Rob Elliot got the nod for the final and even better news Ba and Tiote return from African Cup of Nations!!

Elliot played great in goal for the Toon and helped us beat Man Utd 4-2

Demba Ba hat trick just shows exactly what we have been missing uptop with the striker crisis im having at the moment!

Oh and Steven Taylor decided to get the ball in the area round De Gea and slot into an empty net to put us 3-2 up ;)

Davide Santon suffered a hip injury in my 4-0 win against first place Tottenham.. anyone know if he's likely to see a huge attribute decrease? He'll be out for 6 weeks-2 months.. I don't want another Milevskyi or now Marvauex :(

Davide Santon suffered a hip injury in my 4-0 win against first place Tottenham.. anyone know if he's likely to see a huge attribute decrease? He'll be out for 6 weeks-2 months.. I don't want another Milevskyi or now Marvauex :(

To be fair the only player on my save who had a really massive attribute drop was Adam Johnson after a severe cruciate ligament injury that kept him out for nearly 10 months. 8 months after returning to training his stats haven't really recovered. Yohan Cabaye had a slight decrease after a 3 month knee injury and hasn't quite gotten fully back to where he was, but he is now over 30 so age isn't on his side.

Should probably recover

Anyone bought Papiss Cisse for Toon and how you finding him?

I bought him on the demo and once he found his feet in the Premier League he was very, very good :thup:

Another poor youth intake, the highest PA I got was a 3.5* DC. My next 'Emile Heskey' was coming along well, massively helping my U18's to the title before he tore his calf muscle :(

Managed to scrape past Sporting in the second knock out round, and am through to the FA Cup Semi Final, a potential final vs Sunderland awaits me if they can beat Fulham (I think) :O

Another poor youth intake, the highest PA I got was a 3.5* DC. My next 'Emile Heskey' was coming along well, massively helping my U18's to the title before he tore his calf muscle :(

Managed to scrape past Sporting in the second knock out round, and am through to the FA Cup Semi Final, a potential final vs Sunderland awaits me if they can beat Fulham (I think) :O

Count yourself lucky...my last 2 seasons I don't think I got any youths rated higher than 1.5 stars :rolleyes: Shame about your new Emile, hopefully it doesn't derail him for too long:thup:

As DandyDon has started an Arsenal save, which is my favourite team, I've decided to make a Newcastle save :D

I have three saves on the go at the moment - Arsenal, Juventus and now The Toon - this won't be my 'main' saves as I will rotate between the three, but I want to use this period, before the 12.3 patch comes out, to experiment with different clubs to determine who I will start a save with.

First port of call: a new right-hand side midfielder! I've lodged a firm but fair bid for Fulham's Clint Dempsey as I feel he would provide sufficient Barclays Premier League experience as well as the technique and ability to succeed within my Newcastle side. Looking forward to this save; Cheick Tioté :cool:

Welcome Llew :thup:

Dempsey could be a good signing, if Fulham aren't looking for anything too crazy. I think he's quite an underrated player in real life, though his form this season has been making more people take notice I think. Another option if you're looking for already Premier League experienced wide men would be Chris Brunt, whilst not the quickest he has some very useful techinical attributes. Equally comfortable on either flank and able to play central too. Wouldn't cost the earth either I reckon.

Welcome Llew :thup:

Dempsey could be a good signing, if Fulham aren't looking for anything too crazy. I think he's quite an underrated player in real life, though his form this season has been making more people take notice I think. Another option if you're looking for already Premier League experienced wide men would be Chris Brunt, whilst not the quickest he has some very useful techinical attributes. Equally comfortable on either flank and able to play central too. Wouldn't cost the earth either I reckon.

Cheers :)

In terms of my pursuit of a right-hand sided midfielder - I had a bid of £4.8 million accepted by, Fulham but when it came to personal terms, both parties were far apart. With the wage structure at Newcastle quite tight, Dempsey was asking for £60,000 a week which was just too much for me. I didn't want to break the wage budget and potentially risk losing players like Coloccini to rival clubs on cut-price deals. I've now transfered my attentions to Chris Brunt, as you suggested, Markel Susaeta and Alessio Cerci :thup:

Cheers :)

In terms of my pursuit of a right-hand sided midfielder - I had a bid of £4.8 million accepted by, Fulham but when it came to personal terms, both parties were far apart. With the wage structure at Newcastle quite tight, Dempsey was asking for £60,000 a week which was just too much for me. I didn't want to break the wage budget and potentially risk losing players like Coloccini to rival clubs on cut-price deals. I've now transfered my attentions to Chris Brunt, as you suggested, Markel Susaeta and Alessio Cerci :thup:

I've been pretty strict on the wages front on my Newcastle. I'm save into the 2016/17 season and I think only one player is currently earning over £60k a week. Carlos Tevez was at the club for a season on a free and I broke our wage structure for that, but cashed in on him for £10 million after that one year so I think it worked out alright.

I haven't looked at Susaeta on FM, but he's a regular at Bilbao at the moment isn't he? So I'm sure he'd be worth a punt. If you want another recommendation for a cheap signing, take a look at Andile Jali, I've signed him on my Arsenal save and he's developing very nicely on there. Absolute bargain considering he cost me less that £500,000.

By the way, have you edited the transfers so Papiss Demba Rodney Cisse is at the club already? Or are you starting with just the squad from the end of August?

I looked at Chris Brunt, but they wanted over £10m for him. Luckily my Emile Heskey is only 16, so he'll sure pick up the attributes he lost.

Through to the FA Cup Final (not against Sunderland though :( )And i'm about to play Athletico Madrid in the Euro Cup Semi Final - wish me luck! Injuries mounting up.. I had to play 3 games in 5 days but luckily we managed to carry on winning. Was scouting Carlos Fierro of Chivas and my scout found a great 17 year old RB who's already 2* CA, will post a picture of his attributes later!

Hey all.. i've been waiting for the new patch to come out before starting any new save.. but i got bored last night so i started a save with the Toon..

i went against my usualy prudeness and went all out with my sales and buys... and for the first time i bought players to fit the tactic i had planned .. not the other way round..

what you think?

TRANSFERS

newcastletransfershisto.png

TACTICS

newcastleunitedtacticso.png

The use of 48 month installments and pumping wages back into my transfer budget meant i could spend BIG... but im playing in a barcelona-esque fashion and needed quality for the wings and in the centre.... not to mention a world class cb and lb .. didnt have money for a top notch rb so i bought in a non prestigious but nevertheless solid right wingback in Pillud..

still ironing out the creases with my tactic but the goal is to get 90%+ pass completion each match and generally control the ball all match ala barca...

gylfi is my iniesta, cabaye is my xavi, montillo and willian are superb on the flanks and rondon is very much my all around goal machine in rotation with Ba of course...

dante isn't given enough love around here i feel... world class cb for 10 million or so? yes please... and with colo kept on aswell.. they form a solid wall with tiote helping out :)

game is lacking quality LB's who are equally good at bombing forward and defending... ansaldi was a no brainer..

That's some hefty restructuring there mate :p

Some good buys though, big fan of Willian and Gylfi Sigurdsson, midfield should be providing plenty chances for Rondon and Ba. :thup: Look forward to hearing how the results go.

I've been pretty strict on the wages front on my Newcastle. I'm save into the 2016/17 season and I think only one player is currently earning over £60k a week. Carlos Tevez was at the club for a season on a free and I broke our wage structure for that, but cashed in on him for £10 million after that one year so I think it worked out alright.

I haven't looked at Susaeta on FM, but he's a regular at Bilbao at the moment isn't he? So I'm sure he'd be worth a punt. If you want another recommendation for a cheap signing, take a look at Andile Jali, I've signed him on my Arsenal save and he's developing very nicely on there. Absolute bargain considering he cost me less that £500,000.

By the way, have you edited the transfers so Papiss Demba Rodney Cisse is at the club already? Or are you starting with just the squad from the end of August?

Especially with the financial situation at the club, which isn't too good, It looks like I have to 'batten down the hatches' in terms of wages. I'm going to try and offload Alan Smith, but as usual I'm sure he will take some shifting.

Susaeta looks like a good prospect. Whenever I've watched Athletic, he's been one that has impressed. On FM, he looks good too. He's not your Robben-esque style of player but, he'll perform well in the Premier League and hold his own. Saying that, he's no slouch technically though. Very well rounded player :thup:

Yeah, I've done most transfer up to Monday I think. That includes Demba Cissé :cool:

ive found smith will go if you offer him out in increasingly small amounts... but if you offer him out for free or too low straight off the bat... he wont... its odd..

getting him and the likes of jonas off the wage bill was my priority... so was getting colo off but i thought better of it and managed to renegotiate his contract eventually down 12k or so... which is probably the best thing ive done so far ....

ive found smith will go if you offer him out in increasingly small amounts... but if you offer him out for free or too low straight off the bat... he wont... its odd..

getting him and the likes of jonas off the wage bill was my priority... so was getting colo off but i thought better of it and managed to renegotiate his contract eventually down 12k or so... which is probably the best thing ive done so far ....

Okay, cheers for that mate :thup:

I'm going to try and keep my first-team, which is similar to the one in real life, together as long as possible. I'm definitely keeping Fabricio Coloccini and Jonás Gutiérrez for at least two seasons. Although, players like Sylvain Mareveaux (who's on 40k a week) may well be moved on earlier than that.

At the moment, I'm just making some tactics, 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 are the preferred formations, before I do go into pre-season. Looking forward.

yeah... i tried to get sylvain to accept a lower wage .. he was having none of it... although tbh.. he's been one of my better players this early on in pre season

jonas is a great player... he just didnt fit into my plans as i essentially wanted amc playmakers on the wings ..

@Llew and @welshace

Colo is definitely worth hanging on to if you can negotiate his wages to a level you're happy to live with :thup: Some folks have had more luck wioth that than others, I ended up having to cash in at start of the second season as I just couldn't get his agent to budge. Would much rather have kept him for another season or 2.

As long as you're canny with the wages Llew the financial situation won't get too bad. Ashley upped the transfer budget available in the January window in my save when we were ahead of expectations, with the big stadium, good crowds and the Premier league millions you shouldn't need to tighten the belt much.

is it normal for me to be getting messages bout possibly takeovers before preseason is even over? i cant remember if i may have edited ashley at some point in the past in a xml i have on ... i hate him with passion