FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can get Andy Carroll for just over £5m, do think I should do it?

There are some really good players on the transfer list, currently got Arouca and Valencia coming in for cheap and there is also the likes of Adam, Essien and Tevez as well. I may look at Fierro or Niang to fill the striker position, or just hope that Paloschi can consistently perform.

I'd be curious to see what reaction you got from the supporters if you did.

That's a pretty good price for him though if you decide to play with a target man, guess it comes down to whether you have any personal feeling for or against him ever playing for Newcastle again.

There are some really good players on the transfer list, currently got Arouca and Valencia coming in for cheap and there is also the likes of Adam, Essien and Tevez as well. I may look at Fierro or Niang to fill the striker position, or just hope that Paloschi can consistently perform.

I had the chance to get Carrol for a similar price in my second and third season but never. His goal scoring record at Liverpool was poor and my scouts seemed to rate him at 2 and a half stars, suggesting he would be the 3rd choice striker in the squad. I suppose you could do what Dandy says though, stick him up front as a target man and see how it goes.

I don't necessarily need him and he won't be first choice, so I probably won't. I wonder if anyone has ever had him actually turn out good?

I had him turn out great for me on an FM11 Stoke save after getting him for £6.75 million, teamed him up with Super Kev Gameiro and he got 30+ goals for me in 3 straight seasons.

Don't know whats happened to my team. The players have just stopped performing. Just look at these stats

After 18 league matches I had:

43 points 33 goals scored 11 goals against

League position: 2nd

From the next 17:

19 points 23 goals scored 29 against

League position: 6th

I'm still dominating matches stats wise but something just went completely wrong. I now I should be happy I'm in 6th as it's a good position for Newcastle to be in and I'd be happy if we were to finish there this season irl. I'm just so frustrated at the moment.

Guess I'll give up this season and let youngster that got me into the FA Cup final have a few matches as they're the only ones left with decent morale apart from Cabaye and my CBs.

@shoonaldo

Which season are you in? Could be a few jaded players not hitting the heights if you've had a lot of games. If you're secure in 6th then it could be a good time to give those youngsters a run like you say and let them try and stake a claim for next season. Good luck with it if you do :thup:

Your loss of form doesn't look quite as catastrophic as poor old Lawly_boi's earlier on the thread at least. (small mercies eh!)

I've just finished my 1st season.

My team actually did quite well in the last 4 matches. Lost to Stoke in the FA Cup final but got 7 points from the last 3 league matches and ended up in 6th. One point behind Arsenal in 4th. So close to CL football there but now I'm not in any european competition so I can focus on the league.

I will change my tactics for the new season though, I was playing a 4321 but now I'll try a 4231 so HBA can play in his preferred role.

I've just finished my 1st season.

My team actually did quite well in the last 4 matches. Lost to Stoke in the FA Cup final but got 7 points from the last 3 league matches and ended up in 6th. One point behind Arsenal in 4th. So close to CL football there but now I'm not in any european competition so I can focus on the league.

I will change my tactics for the new season though, I was playing a 4321 but now I'll try a 4231 so HBA can play in his preferred role.

A decent finish, shame about the FA Cup. Doesn't 6th place qualify you for the dreaded Europa League though?

I'm looking for an AMR at the moment. Budgets are 10.93m and 186k wages.

I can get Ashley Young for 12.75m over 24 months and on 85k a week.

Or Afellay for 2.5 upfront and 4m over 24 months on 65k. Or Bentley for 2.5m, not sure about the wages though.

So who should I buy?

Just going through preseason in season 3, so far have managed to sign Thiago for £4m and Rodwell for £15m, I just need to sign a top quality striker to play upfront on their own and compete with Paloschi. Preferably to play as a poacher, most of the strikers I've seen recommended have gone elsewhere, and Neymar and Cavani don't want to sign for me. Any ideas?

Jay Rodriguez. Fairly cheap (by todays standards) and he's currently scored 20 in 24 starts for me playing as a lone poacher.

I'm looking for an AMR at the moment. Budgets are 10.93m and 186k wages.

I can get Ashley Young for 12.75m over 24 months and on 85k a week.

Or Afellay for 2.5 upfront and 4m over 24 months on 65k. Or Bentley for 2.5m, not sure about the wages though.

So who should I buy?

If you can get him then Aaron Lennon can be a very a good winger. He can cost a lot but was always good for me when I bought him.

@dandydon and the gang ...

4231 ... sexy goal scoring ... heart racing panic inducing goal siv .... how are you all managing your defense on the 4231? Seems like for a while Santon/Colo/Taylor/Simpson could stop anything ... now it's like a freak show that prevents me from drinking coffee as my heart rate is already up there ....

This is how I have it set up ... advise me if you see a glaring error ...

ST: Ba/Wilfried (P/Attack)

AML: Jonas (AP/A)

AMC: Vuvkic (T/A)

AMR: Shaqiri/Obertan (AP/A)

MCL: Titoe/Kara <-- Kara is a wrecking ball (BWM/D)

MCR: The New Jesus (Cabaye)/Gosling (DLP/S)

DL: Santon (FB/A)

DCL: Colo (BPD/C)

DCR: Masked Man Taylor (LD/S)

DR: Simpson/Vrsaljko (FB/A)

GK: Krul GK/D

I usually start off with Control and use shouts as needed. It just seems that after the first month or so it's turning crazy. Just played QPR and the score was 6-3 our favor ... I am in 6th place and the only one is double digits in the top 8 ... have given up 15 so far ... when I use the 442 I hardly concede but I would like to get that to happen with the 4231. I have been reading the tactical forums but wanted to ask here as many of us use the same players and the team is well set for the 4231.

Thanks in advance ...

@Church CM

Depends how you are conceding. If it's because the oppositions AMC is pulling the strings try lowering the mentality of your MCs or drop Tiote into the DM position. If the wingers are causing problems, have your FBs on support or use defensive wingers. Jonas is usually quite good at this.

Just finished my 5th season in charge and I am fairly satisfied with the outcome. I got to the League Cup semi-final and the F.A. Cup semi-final, suffering at the hands of Arsenal both times. However I managed to beat Aston Villa 3-1 in the final of the Europa League! As for the Premier League, I had a very good season. My initial aim was to qualify for the Champions League. Throughout the season I was a title contender but then from February - April things slipped a little and I was fighting for 4th place. From March to before the day of the Europa League final I gone on holiday, I felt I needed a bit of a break. My assistant (David Trezequet) handled things well and I came back to find that with one game left I was 5th with Man Utd 4th, only two points ahead. As they had a superior goal difference to mine I would be hoping that Aston Villa could beat Utd and that I'd get 3 points at Ipswich. If Arsenal beat Stoke and I lost or drew then I'd finish 6th.

The match

20 minutes in - all is looking well

50256276.png

Just after half time - still looking good

29339220.png

81 Minutes - Definitely looking unlikely we will qualify for the CL.

51245916.png

And after the final whistle, the final league standings.

84069064.png

Overall though I can't complain with how the season has gone. Ideally I wanted to win at least the F.A. Cup or League Cup again and the Europa League, but I guess one of them is good enough. Coming 5th in the league and losing out on 4th on the last day feels bad, but I've always got next season to challenge for the CL spot.

Renzo Perugini came 2nd in the top scorer award with 27 goals in 27 games and Jack Wilshere won the young player award.

I just wonder, anyone else experienced Ashley taking 18millions out of the club?

Nothing like that happened to me. A consortium took over in the 4th season (possibly 3rd, can't remember now), but prior to that I'd never experienced that.

Afellay has rejected my offer and signed for Liverpool and Johnson has gone to Fulham. I've had a 7.5m offer for Gaitan accepted and he only wants 58k a week so I think I'll sign him.

Gaitan is a cracking player, and he can cover several other areas if you have injury problems as well. :thup:

@Church CM

I'm not at home right now, so I can't check the exact settings for my 4-2-3-1, but as far as the defenders go I'm pretty sure both Full Backs are in Support mode. Steven Taylor is playing as a Limited Defender/Defend and his partner as a Ball Playing Defender/Cover. Both of them have their mentality set to very defensive, forward runs etc to rarely and short passing with limited creativity. I don't want either of them launching unnecessary 40 yard passes, prefer them to look to play it out to Cabaye ideally, or the Full backs to move on to the wingers.

My midfielders are set up pretty similar to yours but with the wide men set up as standard wingers with an attacking mentality, and if Sow or Paloschi start upfront they're set up as Poachers.

Thanks guys ... will employ your advice in regards to the 4231. Will tweak the mentalities and report back.

I restarted my NUFC save ... my moves so far ...

Entire staff on mutual termination and replaced with the exception of Carr. 4 to 5 stars across the board for now.

Players In ... 14.25m

Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa) ... 7.5m (2.5 up front, rest over 48 months) 30K salary through 2016

Wilfried (Vitesse) ... 3m (1m up front, rest over 24 months) 15K till 2015

Craig Dawson (West Brom) ... 3.7m (1m up front, 1.7 over 24 months) 15K salary through 2016 <very pleased on that salary!>

Mahamadou Diarra (Free) ... 21.5k for 12 months (back up to Tiote)

Ivica Dragutinovic (Free) ... 4.5K for 12 months (back up DC/L)

Lost out on Sime Vrsaljko (At. Madrid @ 7.5k till 2015) and Erik Pieters (Aston Villa @ 17.5 till 2014) ... Both were offered last minute deals which they accepted. In serious need of a cheap, effective back up for both FB positions.

On the upside ... it seems that this reroll of the save has produced a new and improved Adam Campbell (4.5 stars this time) in the U-18 squad and Remi Streete doesn't look half bad (3.5 stars)

Players Out ... 5m (so far)

Mike Williamson (Southampton) 3m

Peter Lovenkrands (Rangers) 1.7m

Nile Ranger (Middlesbrough) Season Long Loan 275k fee/100% wages

Soon to go as they heal ... Ryan Taylor, Danny Guthrie, Alan Smith

Basically released the reserves with the exception of a few loans (Sammy Ameobi to Sheff Utd)

So it looks like this ...

ST: Ba/Wilfried / Best/Ameobi (2nd Combo will be sold at some point)

AML: Jonas/Marveauz

AMC: Ben Arfa/Vuckic/Abeid

AMR: Albrighton/Obertan

MCL: Tiote/Diarra

MCR: Cabaye/Gosling

DL: Santon/Dragutinovic

DCL: Colo/Dragutinovic

DCR: Taylor/Dawson

DR: Simpson/R. Taylor (for now)

GK: Krul/Harper

682K Transfer budget remains ... 22.74k salary room ... but that will improve drastically with R. Taylor and Smith going soon.

Wish me luck ...

@Church CM

I'm not at home right now, so I can't check the exact settings for my 4-2-3-1, but as far as the defenders go I'm pretty sure both Full Backs are in Support mode. Steven Taylor is playing as a Limited Defender/Defend and his partner as a Ball Playing Defender/Cover. Both of them have their mentality set to very defensive, forward runs etc to rarely and short passing with limited creativity. I don't want either of them launching unnecessary 40 yard passes, prefer them to look to play it out to Cabaye ideally, or the Full backs to move on to the wingers.

My midfielders are set up pretty similar to yours but with the wide men set up as standard wingers with an attacking mentality, and if Sow or Paloschi start upfront they're set up as Poachers.

Quick question for you and shoon (and anyone else) ... do you use zonal marking?

Quick question for you and shoon (and anyone else) ... do you use zonal marking?

I seem to remember I have it set to zonal marking, but I'll double check later.

If you're still looking for a right back then Ivan Bandalovski would be a good cheap option if he hasn't alread signed for someone else. Doesn't need much in way of wages either I think.

Unbelievable. Cabaye just broke his leg for the second time in three seasons :(

On the plus side, I've just bought Tevez for 2.1mln. Nice.

Yeah, had him retire on me hence my starting again ...

Wow 2.1m for the tempermental unibrow goalscoring machine ... what did he as for in wages? Nice pick up.

Finally home after a few days away....and now satisfying my withdrawal symptoms and cravings for FM :p. Almost at the end of the second season and we've just been offered Marc-Andre ter Stegen for £9.5 million.

Anyone else here picked up the German WunderGoalie? How did he do for you?

I had the chance to get him for £8m, but I already had three goalkeepers competing for 1st choice. He went to Dortmund instead.

He's a good keeper from what I hear, although on mine he had a fairly low PA so I didn't bother. Will be your 1st choice for at least a decade though, unless you find someone better, but at that price it would be unlikely.

I had the chance to get him for £8m, but I already had three goalkeepers competing for 1st choice. He went to Dortmund instead.

He's a good keeper from what I hear, although on mine he had a fairly low PA so I didn't bother. Will be your 1st choice for at least a decade though, unless you find someone better, but at that price it would be unlikely.

I decided to put the bid in for him, my scouts had been recommending him as a definite purchase anyway. Harper and Butt are both retiring in the summer and Forster is demanding a transfer so I needed to buy a keeper anyways.

Finally home after a few days away....and now satisfying my withdrawal symptoms and cravings for FM :p. Almost at the end of the second season and we've just been offered Marc-Andre ter Stegen for £9.5 million.

Anyone else here picked up the German WunderGoalie? How did he do for you?

He has been very good for me and he is keeping a lot of clean sheets so far and for the price he's a must buy.

I am coming towards the end of the second season now as I haven't been able to play for a few days due to working so will try and get the season finished tonight if possible.

2012/13 Season Update - The Run in

NewcastleUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-6.png

Finally finished a rather drawn out season 2, (due to being away for a few days and suffering major withdrawal without my footie management fix) and as you can see we finished off in pretty decent form overall. However the terrible performance against QPR really hurt us in the league, and after we lost the match at Old Trafford we could never bridge the gap again. So despite having lead the league for quite a while earlier in the season we eventually finished third, one point behind Man City, and six behind Man Utd. We had the chance on the last day to leapfrog City as they drew their match, but we couldn't quite hold on for a win at Villa. (Still showing a little defensive frailty that I haven't managed to iron out yet.)

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-5.png

Still pretty chuffed with the third place finish as it guaranteed us Champions League football again next season and the financial rewards that come with it. We'd also exceeded our predicted league finish by four places.

The best was yet to come for us though, after having fluked our way through to the finals of the Champions League with a freak 5-0 win over Lyon in the semi final second leg, we faced Man Utd at Wembley and a chance to put a dent in their perfect season.

I went for the most attacking selection I could in a 4-4-2 formation and in a topsy-turvy first half we actually took the lead after Evra shoved Paloschi over in the box. Yohan Cabaye stepping up to blast the penalty into the top right. However, although we dominated possession for most of the first half we actually went 2-1 down after 40 minutes. Rooney equalising with an annoyingly cheeky chip from the edge of the area and then Hernandez, racing clear of our defence after one of our attacks broke down, slotting the ball under Krul. With the last action of the half we managed to grab a deserved leveller with Taylor nicking home Cabaye's corner.

In the second half we got off to a blistering start when Vrsaljko clipped a long ball up the wing that Moussa Sow took down, raced forward and hit a screamer past De Gea. Lifted by that we started to dominate again and I thought we'd totally control the game when Evra received 2 yellow cards in the space of 7 minutes, Utd down to 10 men with half an hour to go. Strangely though the sending off seemed to unsettle us more than it did them and they looked more and more dangerous. We did manage to extend the lead on 68 minutes when Paloschi turned Johnson's cross from close range, but that was a rare opportunity in that final period. Luckily though utd proved pretty wasteful despite their pressure and we held on to prevent their treble and bring the Champions League trophy to SJP.

NewcastlevManUtdSplitView-3.png

Players of the Season

1. Steven Taylor, by far and away the most consistent defensive performer with an average rating of 7.43 from his 48 games, adding 14 goals and winning 11 MoM awards. made the Premier League Team of the Year

2. Yohan Cabaye. No surprise here, another steady season from the heartbeat of our midfield. 8 goals, mostly important ones at that, 18 assists.

3. Moussa Sow. Fantastic debut season for the Senegalese hitman, 30 goals and 9 assists from his 44 games. His scoring rate dropped in the second half of the season as a long campaign wore the squad down, but still a great return.

4. Nicolas Gaitan/Adam Johnson. Couldn't really seperate these two as they provided an increased threat from the wings. Gaitan providing 17 assists and Johnson a very impressive 20 assists. They probably could have provided even more but for injury.

Honourable mentions go to the back up strikers Paloschi and Maiga who despite not being regulars scored 17 and 16 goals respectively and to Tim Krul who played all 38 league matches and every one of our European games making 57 starts in all.

The objective during the summer will be to try and add one or two top, top quality players to the first team to see if we can sustain our league challenge all the way to the end next season, but also to add some more decent youngsters to help flesh out the squad and let me rest a few of the big names more often and try and avoid the tiredness that affected a few of them in the latter stages of this campaign.

I've made the bid for Stegen after he was offered to us for £9.5 million, and I'd like to bring in, if possible, a world class centre back as well.

Nice season ... ECC is always good. 30 goals and 9 assists ... didn't take Sow long to gel ... nice. Love reading your follow ups.

I am starting the first season, and the preseason is almost complete. We have managed to get 2 tactics down pretty well and the tweaking that was offered here in this thread really seems to work. I dropped Tioute's att men a tad and really tweaked the passing of the back row and the creative/att mentalities of the cb's ... looking good, Cabaye is getting a lot of touches now (I set him to Playmaker and targetman for a few matches and liked how that worked) Jonas seemed to respond well to the def wing role and was well north of 7.50 in his ratings.

We face Chelsea in 10 days ... sharpen the knives boys ...

Something's gone incredibly RIGHT with my latest Toon save...

Pld 13, Won 12, Drn 1, Lst 0, GF 37, GA 7...

... I don't believe it... there's no stopping us! The only points dropped all season were at Old Trafford, where 2 Rooney penalties saw Man Utd come back from 2-0 down. Grr. Still... the lads are only 3 points above Man Utd, and Man Utd don't appear as though their run is about to end any time soon. I am playing a flat 4-4-2 like this...

Control

Short Passing

Float Crosses

Zonal Marking

Counter Attack

Playmaker: Cabaye

GK: Krul, Harper, Elliot

DR: Simpson, Vrsaljko

DL: M'Bengue, Santon

DC: Taylor, Williamson

DC: Coloccini, Kadar

MR: Gutierrez, Diouf

MC: Cabaye, Guthrie, Gosling

MC: Tiote, Diarra

ML: Marveaux, Ben Arfa, McFadden

ST: Suazo, Ba, Best

ST: Sturridge, Lovenkrands

Nothing particularly outstanding about the team on paper, but the entire team play as though they'd give Barca a run for their money, game in, game out. Suazo and Sturridge have been the most impressive, but Cabaye, Taylor and Krul have also stood out as brilliant and consistent performers. Even Simpson has had a few stormers, and he's keeping the likes of Vrsaljko and Santon sidelined!

My most satisfying first almost-half-a-season EVER! And I've owned every FM in the series...

...oh, and we also beat Arsenal 6-0. If I knew what I was doing right (except rather luckily avoiding injuries to key players thus far), I'd tell you all, but to be quite honest I haven't a clue how the team are performing so well. I am, however, enjoying it. A lot :)

so, you lads have all probably had a good run on the game as the Toon by now..

who would you class as must buy's and must sell's now for someone who's about to start a new save?

I'm not sure about 'Must buys', depends on what sort of team you want to lead to World Toon domination I suppose. I'd say find yourself a good left back is a priority, then some cover for Cabaye/Tiote in midfield. If you want to stay within budget and not use any crazy 48 month splurges I'd recommend the likes of Bressan, Andile Jali, Tshbalala, Ivan Bandalovski and Adam Vass. All decent quality and available for less than a million. (Couple of them have their own threads already, I think Jali and Vass in particular would make excellent cover for Tiote/Cabaye)

Must Sell - probably Ryan Taylor (not to insult his efforts in real life this season, but he should at least generate a few bids if you choose to offload him), Simpson (if you sign the likes of Vrsaljko and Bandalovski), Lovenkrands and maybe Danny Guthrie. I'd add James Perch and Alan Smith to the 'Must Sell but Probably Can't' category...or players most in need of being dragged outside and shot to save cash perhaps

EDIT: if you want to raise cash in the first season your most saleable asset is probably Coloccini, and that does clear a massive burden off your wage budget, but you would lose a quality player.

appreciate the reply dandy, i'll definately have a think... i was thinking up front would be the place to improve aswell, im not keen on demba ba at all tbh.. does he do ok? and jonas doesnt fill me with confidence either as a big player for us... i gather from reading the posts in here that he's pretty good ?

appreciate the reply dandy, i'll definately have a think... i was thinking up front would be the place to improve aswell, im not keen on demba ba at all tbh.. does he do ok? and jonas doesnt fill me with confidence either as a big player for us... i gather from reading the posts in here that he's pretty good ?

I couldn't get Demba Ba to perform particularly consistently for me, but that may be more down to a failing of my tactic than anything else. Certainly some of the lads on here got him playing great guns in the first season, so probably worth persevering with. I was generally playing him on his own upfront, and maybe he didn't get enough support.

Jonas is a bit decptive, he plays better than he looks in FM I find. Can do a good job as an Inside Forward cutting in from the left side, or as a Defensive Winger on either flank. Either way he generally plays well enough that I'd concentrate on other areas before looking for more wingers. He has struggled to get into the side in my second season, but he was one of our best players in the first.

right.. about to start my save.. but when i start a new game i always like to see if everything is ok at the club before i start and edit things to make it more realistic... just small things which annoy the hell out of me... like Remi Streete.. heard about him before i started the save and knew he is a big aggressive strong cb with a bit of pace and a good pass on him... and then i see his in game self.... 5'11, 10 stone and no stats suitable for him... so ive edited his height and weight and just upped his passing by 3 points to 9 instead of 6 and also given him 13 strength instead of 7

Cheers, hope you have better luck on the injury front with Cabaye this time round :thup:

Did you find anyone to cover at left back this time round, or are you going with Kadar as the back up?

Going to see how Kadar does for a spell. We'll see what the budgets look like with moving R. Taylor, Smith, etc. What I will be looking for is a UK boy to back up Santon. In this save I want one UK player in each position. Doesn't matter if they are the starter or the back up. It's just the new law for this save. Yeah, Cabaye bidding a sweet adieu was enough to make me start again. For me, and I suspect many others, he's the heart and soul of the toon atm. Looking to add physios as soon as possible. One thing I have noticed by rerolling. There seems to be a pretty wide variance in how they set up the numbers for staff. This time a lot of coaches that were great are now how hum. Makes replays nice.

Archived