FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

Cheers mate, how you getting on with strengthening your squad after that European run? Hard luck on fetching up against Barca in the final by the way

Im looking to bring in James Rodriguez or Adam Ljajic to strengthen the attacking midfield options and getting rid of Marveaux. Not sure who else to plump for. May go for Sturridge on a free perhaps but other than that I'm not sure where to strengthen. Any ideas?

Also, just a thought but have you tried using the match preperation option in the bottom left on the tactics screen? Setting the additional focus area to 'Defending Set Pieces' may start to reduce the number of goals conceded mate

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11/12 Game of the season #1 Real Madrid 0 - Newcastle United 2

Final round of fixtures in the Champions League group stages, going into the game second place in the group - a single point above Marseille, who were playing bottom of the group Zenit at home; I realistically needed Zenit to beat Marseille, of which was unlikely; that would therefore see me progress from the group regardless of the score in my match. Kept a close eye of the goings on at the Stade Velodrome whilst watching Real Madrid's stars try and break down my rigid eight man defensive blockade.

Zenit took the lead against the French side in the 30th minute, which saw a safeguard on my second place in the group; of which was made even more secure ten minutes later when Gutierrez fired in from the edge of the area to give the Toon a 1-0 lead in the Bernabeu, in doing so moving above the Spaniard's on head-to-head results. Throughout the game Real Madrid struggled to break through a four man defence, with three DMs directly in front with a defensive minded Gutierrez holding down the right. I sat deep, directing my breaks through the pace of Shaqiri in the LW with Adebayor working tirelessly upfront on his own.

Back in France, Marsielle equalised against the Russian's in the 54th minute to set up nervy finish in the group. Thankfully my prowess from set-pieces saw Steven Taylor double the lead with a far post header from a excellently floated Cabeye free-kick in the 66th minute.

Marsielle finished 1-1 with Zenit; and the unlikeliest of all outcomes prevailed with Newcastle getting all three points in Spain and topping the group.

Group.jpg

NewcastleRealMadrid.jpg

Im looking to bring in James Rodriguez or Adam Ljajic to strengthen the attacking midfield options and getting rid of Marveaux. Not sure who else to plump for. May go for Sturridge on a free perhaps but other than that I'm not sure where to strengthen. Any ideas?

Also, just a thought but have you tried using the match preperation option in the bottom left on the tactics screen? Setting the additional focus area to 'Defending Set Pieces' may start to reduce the number of goals conceded mate

Yeah, I thought I had already set that on match prep after the squad were at the max familiarity with the tactics, turns out I was wrong. So have them concentrating on it now.

Rodriguez and Ljajic should both be good buys, and Sturridge on a freebie would pretty much be a no-lose sort of deal. What areas of the squad you looking to strengthen apart from those? If you're looking for a defender I would recommend taking a look at Sokratis Papastathopoulos at Genoa (least I think he starts there), strong, fast, absolute beast of a tackler. Just don't try saying his name too quickly....

@tommonufc

Great defensive performance from your team there :thup:

Who were your 3 DMs if don't mind me asking?

Had a combination of Cabeye set up as Deep Lying Playmaker in the Left DM, Etienne Capoue as an anchor man in CDM, and Lassana Diarra as another Anchor Man in the LDM.

Mid way through second half I re adjusted after taking the lead to Capoue as anchor with Cabeye and Tiote (Ball winning defend). Capoue has the ppm of 'Gets forwards whenever possible', so can be somewhat useful when you are playing him along side other defensive midfielders; can give you an extra threat on the break with his willingness to offer support.

From the Bernabeu to the Brittania, back to earth with a bump. Following my midweek heroics a rainy Saturday afternoon in Stoke.

Had a combination of Cabeye set up as Deep Lying Playmaker in the Left DM, Etienne Capoue as an anchor man in CDM, and Lassana Diarra as another Anchor Man in the LDM.

Have to say that's not a midfield I'd relish playing against......(overlooking the fact that I'd be too old, too fat, too slow and too bald now anyways...and always too crap)

Was just feeling a little smug about getting PSG in the Champions League quarter finals, rather than Real Madrid or Barca...then remembered they've got Javier Pastore, Kevin Gameiro, Mahamadou Sakho and Kwadwo Asamoah.....definitely counting my chickens pre-emptively there for a second.

Have to say that's not a midfield I'd relish playing against......(overlooking the fact that I'd be too old, too fat, too slow and too bald now anyways...and always too crap)

Forgot to give Jonas a mention as well, he had a great game which was capped by scoring the first. He's always a consistent performer as a Defensive Winger support. Watching from the sidelines a midfield of Ben Arfa, De Bruyne, Tiote, Eriksen and Marvin Martin could be seen just as formidable - if not a little more adventurous.

Was just feeling a little smug about getting PSG in the Champions League quarter finals, rather than Real Madrid or Barca...then remembered they've got Javier Pastore, Kevin Gameiro, Mahamadou Sakho and Kwadwo Asamoah.....definitely counting my chickens pre-emptively there for a second.

I think PSG will be seen the lesser of the two evils there, hopefully I'll be able to avoid Barca at my peril until needs be in the final. A home draw that we should have won, and a away win against Real Madrid in the group stages bodes well if I have to come up against them later on; and my ability to draw performances against the English clubs will always give me a chance. So quietly confident for a nice run in the CL this year; here's the draw for the second round..

CL2ndrounddraw-1.jpg

Will fancy my chances away in Dortmund if I can produce another strong defensive display, which will hopefully give me some leeway when they return to St. James'. Will have to be wary of Mario G. but I'm sure his old team mate Subotic shall have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Yup definitely counted the old chickens before the hatched. :(

Our European adventure is over for the season after we served up our worst two Euro performances of the season against PSG. Sime Vrsaljko especially had a nightmare across the two legs. He attempted to clear an easy cross into our box in the first match but punted it straight against Steve Taylor to concede an own goal and then in the second half he was skinned by Sandro who went on to score a long range effort to grab a draw for PSG.

Picked him for the second leg to give him a chance to redeem himself and he promptly upended Asamoah on 10 minutes to give away a penalty which Gameiro inevitably dispatched. Obviously that put us on the back foot and PSG were able to counter attack us to death in the second half as we chased the game. Final score on the night was 3-0 to the French side and they went through 5-2 on aggregate.

Season 2012/13 Update

As the January transfer window has slammed shut I thought I'd give a little progress report on how my season is panning out. The winter months of November and December have proved to be very productive for me, seeing me top my Champions League group after a 2-0 win away at Real Madrid in the last game, and have continued my challenge for the top 4. Only downside would be seen to a shambolic 3rd round exit in the F.A Cup to Leeds United.

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-2.jpg

NewcastleUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-1.jpg

During the aforementioned Transfer Window I brought in a few players for my youth team. Lyon came calling for Yohan Cabeye, which saw me reject a £13.5million offer for him, along with a £5.75 million bid from Athletic for Tim Krul. Here is the pick of my January dealings;

EbenezerFrimpongOverview_Attributes.jpg

This guy was released by Dortmund, and my scout highlighted him and was brought in on a free transfer. Has some decent stats for such a young player, but slight reservations on his strength and certain mentals may not see him cut it in my first team. Will more than likely try and move him on at some point, seeing as he was picked up on a free it should see a decent return.

Bruno Ramos - 800k compensation from Vit. Setubal

BrunoRamosOverview_Attributes.jpg

Pavel Pagaev - £6k from Spartak Moscow

PavelPagaevOverview_Attributes.jpg

Probably another contender for a sell on, but should hope see some development from him before I make my descion. Should be able to acquire something a lot more considerable than £6k for him once he does move on.

Dejan Toplak - £90k from Rudar Velenje

DejanToplakOverview_Attributes.jpg

Picked out this guy from the depths of Slovenia when I was doing my trawl through the countries new intake of Regens that year. Rated highly by my scouts at the time, and my coaches at the moment; concerned about his lack of Determination - as it could mean that his Progression Rate won't see him achieve his full potential. Will get some Tutoring on this guy from the go.

Aleksejs Danilovs - Free from FC Skonto Riga

AleksejsDanilovsOverview_Attributes.jpg

Another player that caught my eye when looking through Latvia's intake of regens for the year. Able to pick this guy up without paying compensation.

Jaroslav Novak - £45k from Dukla Prague

JaroslavNovakOverview_Attributes.png

Hopefully should do wonders for the turnover; have high hopes for the Argentinian lad, and the 15 year old Czech. Have around 4 or 5 regens I've brough in doing okay out on loan and in the U18s. Will probably blood a 18year old Russian left back whose currently dominating the Championship with Preston next season.

As we speak 3-0 up against Sunderland - they can't get out of my half haha!

Some quality regens Tommo, but Juan Manuel Olariaga could be special, I am also loving his 20 for determination which means he has a much better chance of delevoping.

Only problem with 20 determination is trying to find someone to tutor him...as I'm finding with Postulka my Czech left back.

Only problem with 20 determination is trying to find someone to tutor him...as I'm finding with Postulka my Czech left back.

This is also true, he could try loaning him out to get first team football though and his attritubes should increase a lot that way as well.

I don't really have many candidates to tutor players within my current team really. It's a very young side, with maybe only Coloccini that stands out. I'm relativley new to the world and importance of tutoring youngsters; with my last save with Barcelona on FM11 being when I only got to grips with it. It was easy there as I had the likes of Puyol, Xaxi and other mental giants; so this should be a bit more challenging.

We are now under a second takeover attempt by another local businessman, this time Leonardo will appointted if the takeover goes through :(.

I'm getting blase about takeover attempts now...we've had three so far this season, and now a 4th apparently on the way. Ashley's still there.

We are now under a second takeover attempt by another local businessman, this time Leonardo will appointted if the takeover goes through :(.
I'm getting blase about takeover attempts now...we've had three so far this season, and now a 4th apparently on the way. Ashley's still there.

Can I ask what season you guys are in? I'm yet to experience any takeover talk, but I'm only Feb. of the second season.

I see, got a year or so on me then. Making very slow progress this year it seems, got the game last Monday.

I shall welcome any takeovers, as long as I'm part of their plans. Ashley is so unambitious when it comes to Feeder Clubs, and youth ect. and seems to reject any proposal of extra staff.

My scouts have been finding me some more regens, here are four of the best of them.

This guy had a £750k minimum fee release clause and my scouts rate him as a potential 4.5 star player. This is the player that I am the most excited by.

jaguareregeninseasonthr.jpg

This lad had a £250k minimum fee release clause and my scouts rate him as a potential 4 star player.

anmv4h.jpg

This lad will cost £775k compensation fee and my scouts rate him as a potential 3.5 star player.

rshma0.jpg

This lad will cost £650k and my scouts rate him as a potential 3.5 star player.

1o0h34.jpg

Krul's starting to annoy me! Rejected transfer bids for him in January, agent comes along wanting a new contract for him. I reject, I then claim he has time still on his current deal; he accepts the fact he's not getting new contract yet. Now he's put in for a transfer request, for me to swiftly reject. Might have to offer him new contract sooner than later, but having him on £4k a week is very useful for the wage budget.

Krul's starting to annoy me! Rejected transfer bids for him in January, agent comes along wanting a new contract for him. I reject, I then claim he has time still on his current deal; he accepts the fact he's not getting new contract yet. Now he's put in for a transfer request, for me to swiftly reject. Might have to offer him new contract sooner than later, but having him on £4k a week is very useful for the wage budget.

Hopefully you can keep him mollified till the summer and see if there's plenty room on the new wage budget to offer him a new deal.

For £3.1m I think it's a no brainer really, I would definately sign him.

Yeah, my only worry is I play without an AMC in roughly 50% of our games, so he wouldn't be playing all that regularly. However looks like Real only offered him to us at the moment, so might wait a couple weeks and see if his price drops any further. Might be impossible to resist if we can pick him up for about 2 million.

I've already been taken over by a certain Ken Hodcroft, but survived the possibility that Ancelotti would take my position, even though he came to every match over the month that negotiations were taking place. Mike Ashley then went and bought Everton. Some people never learn...

Currently in February, with nothing much happening in the transfer window, not bringing in anyone and getting rid of a couple of squad players on loans with future fees. In the meantime, just played Marseille in the 1st leg of the last 16...

om23nufc.jpg

I was going to be happy to hold on for a draw, especially when Vrsaljko got sent off. :D

Just finished my 5th season in charge of the toon, finished a respectable 5th! I had my sights set on a Champions League spot, but by February I had grew slightly tired of the season and ended up holidaying until 3 games from the end of the season, and after winning two games found that I had secured 5th. I also just turned down a job offer from Juventus, who finished 9th in Serie A.

I'm not going to go into detail about my transfer business this season, there wasn't too much, although I didn't appreciate Man Utd taking Jack Wilshere off me. But I paid £3m for him and even with a £14.25m release clause they paid £20m, which the board felt was too good to refuse. A very good piece of business in my opinion was the sale of Tim Krul in January. He was playing second fiddle to Alphonse Areola, and I sold him for £5m (He was rated 2.5 star by coaches at this point). I then purchased Thibaut Courtois from Chelsea for £3.9m, who had superior stats and is actually now rated 4 stars. So Courtois and Areola are my current first-team keepers, that's me set for the future in terms of keepers unless one of them decides to request a transfer.

I'm hoping in my 6th season I can bring some decent quality players in. I have the feeling that a CL spot might be wishing too much at this point as I intend to give Mattia Gadda and Nicola Leoni (both great youngsters with potential to play at the same level as Yohan Cabaye according to the coaches) some first team football. I also fully intend to focus on winning at least one cup this season out of the Europa, F.A. and Carling cups. Ideally the Europa, although I dislike how tired my players can get from the fixture cluster caused by the European football.

Hopefully you can keep him mollified till the summer and see if there's plenty room on the new wage budget to offer him a new deal.

Signed him on a new deal until 2017 on £22k a week. That will raise his stock even more, so if I do sell him at some stage should get another couple of million I recon.

tommonufc- Cracking regens you've got :D Who have you got on your scouting team?

I have somewhat of an unorthodox scouting system, out of those regens only the Russian lad and Argentine were picked up by my scouts. I have made use of the Regen dates found on these forums, and have copied them into my manager notes. So each month I get a little message in my inbox to scout certain countries for newly added regens. So I can go to the respective country and trawl through the youth intake on the transfer section. Any player that catches my eye is added to the scouting pool and a report is summoned.

My notable scouts are Graham Carr, Gianlugi Nani, Marcel Dessially, Nicky Hammond, Romeo Jozak, Jorge Griffa and Urs Siegenthaler. Plus a few over just scouting regions to get my overall knowledge up - such as Sam Sodje.

What a surpise Mario Balotelli has requested a transfer after he complained about a lack of first team football. I have offered him to clubs for treble his value (£30m) and Lyon have come in with a £20m offer, nothing upfront and then installments over 48 months which I have accepted , so it's up to Mario now.

I have somewhat of an unorthodox scouting system, out of those regens only the Russian lad and Argentine were picked up by my scouts. I have made use of the Regen dates found on these forums, and have copied them into my manager notes. So each month I get a little message in my inbox to scout certain countries for newly added regens. So I can go to the respective country and trawl through the youth intake on the transfer section. Any player that catches my eye is added to the scouting pool and a report is summoned.

My notable scouts are Graham Carr, Gianlugi Nani, Marcel Dessially, Nicky Hammond, Romeo Jozak, Jorge Griffa and Urs Siegenthaler. Plus a few over just scouting regions to get my overall knowledge up - such as Sam Sodje.

Not bad idea :D Where can I get this regen dates?

I have made use of the Regen dates found on these forums, and have copied them into my manager notes. So each month I get a little message in my inbox to scout certain countries for newly added regens. So I can go to the respective country and trawl through the youth intake on the transfer section. Any player that catches my eye is added to the scouting pool and a report is summoned.

I have been doing that for the last few versions of FM, but I have been printing out the list as I hadn't thought of putting them into the manager notes but I will now, a super idea :thup:.

tommonufc- Cracking regens you've got :D Who have you got on your scouting team?
Here mate.

The ones on the last page, then there are a few additions further down.

Regarding regen scouting I've just clocked on to something quite financial viable. Whilst having a clear out of my shortlist and removing anybody and any reports that are not up too scratch I noticed quite a few Russian teenagers. As I go to offer contract to one I notice a compensation fee of a measly £6.24k, and as I go to poach another I see that a flat rate of £6.24 compensation seems to prevail across all of Russia's youth.

Have already lined up 7 or 8 more that depending on Work Permits shall be joining me. Will post up a couple of the best ones if work permits are granted and everything is signed and sealed.

Regarding regen scouting I've just clocked on to something quite financial viable. Whilst having a clear out of my shortlist and removing anybody and any reports that are not up too scratch I noticed quite a few Russian teenagers. As I go to offer contract to one I notice a compensation fee of a measly £6.24k, and as I go to poach another I see that a flat rate of £6.24 compensation seems to prevail across all of Russia's youth.

Have already lined up 7 or 8 more that depending on Work Permits shall be joining me. Will post up a couple of the best ones if work permits are granted and everything is signed and sealed.

Just been for a look at that and at first glance you seem correct.

I'm a bit late in my save to look at Russia as I normally just go to the major nations and trawl through as it is so time consuming.

Going to look in more depth now though and try work it out.

Brilliant find mate :thup:, I won't have any problems with work permits either as I'll just send them to CSKA Sofia :)

I only usually trawl through countries that are of the beaten track so to speak. For example just scouted every single youth intake in Europe for February - saw me go to far flung clubs in Kazakhstan, San Marino, Faeroe Islands, Malta...

Largely unfruitful, but keeps my scouts busy and will all be worth it if I can uncover some diamond in the dirt.

Archived