FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

@Jops14 Interesting transfer dealings, good to see that you managed to sell the likes of Guthrie and Xisco for notable value; although personally for me Ben Arfa is in my plans and wouldn't hve been sold so early.

You say your struggling, and you say your playing with a 4-2-4 system - could you expand a bit more upon this. Strikes me initially that a uthordox 4-2-4 might not best suit your team at it's current level.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beginning of FM12 Career - Start of a New Magpies Era

I have just installed FM12 and as always, start a save for NUFC. First thing I did was do an overhaul of the staff - release everyone except for Beardsley, Derek Wright, Joe Joyce and Graham Carr. In return I hired what I thought was a better, more determined group of staff in the likes of Tony Coton, Paul Winsper, Pierre Mankowski, Versleeuwen (sp?), Martin Keown, Phil Cannon, Ray Clemence, Al Stewart (club psychologist) and a couple others.

The main goal is still the same as my save in FM11: possession-based game & having a close group of players willing to fight for each other (determination & work rate counts here). I decided to focus on playing 4-5-1 (to control the midfield, hence the possession) or 4-2-3-1 and my goal is having a team who communicates well (ability to speak English kinda important here) and works hard with determination.

Transfer ins:

Diarra (free)

Marco Materazzi (free)

Dalibor Stevanovic (free)

Michael Lumb (675k)

Dan Sturridge (on loan from Chelski)

Transfer outs:

Alan Smith

Perch (on loan)

Strolla Ameoba

McLoven

Stevie Harper (no room for sentimental value)

Ranger

Most of U-18s and reserve players with PA below 125

Since the team would only use 1 striker, I suppose Ba and Best are enough for me. It's mid July and I am contemplating of bringing 2 utility players (players who are able to cover a few positions) - one for defence and one for offence - in order to be able to micro-manage a small yet capable squad. Any suggestions on who I can bring in?

So far the team roughly looks like this

GK: Krul/Elliott/Forster (out on loan)

DR: Santon/Simpson/Gosling/Raylor (started as injured)

DL: Lumb/Santon/Kadar/Simpson

DC: Colo/Saylor/Williamson/Kadar/Mental Marco (good tutor btw)

DM: Tiote/Diarra/Gosling

MC: Cabaye/Stevanovic/Guthrie (injured)

AMR: Ben Arfa (injured)/Obertan/Sturridge/Jonas

AML: Jonas/Marveaux/Sturridge/Obertan

AMC: Ben Arfa/Marveaux/Stevanovic/Vuckic

ST: Ba/Best/Sturridge

The squad is rather thin and any injury outbreak would definitely disrupt my team, which is why I am looking for 2 viable utility players who are able to play in a few positions in defence and attack (thus keeping the size of the main squad to below 25).

Ben Arfa's a tough one. He's been performing heroics for some folks on here but he does have a tendency to throw the toys out of the pram if he doesn't play every game.

At the moment on my save he can't get in the team even when we play with an AMC due to his strops, Bressan getting the nod instead (or Garza now he's arrived).

@Jops14

Fierro should be a good buy for you, he's consistently got good ratings from my scouts and since he has his own thread on here now I'm guessing he's going to be one of the Wonderkid signings for FM12.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/283224-FM-2012-Carlos-Fierro

Season 2012/13 - Autumn Update -

October

Champions League - Newcastle 1 Adebayor(4)- Real Madrid 1

Took the game to Real Madrid instead of rolling over and let them tickle my belly. Defended valiantly throughout the 90minutes, with Tim Krul picking up man of the match and were the better side for most of the game. Guttierez had a great game tying down down the left side, and helping Santon contain Ronaldo. Adebayor gave us an incredibly early lead, but was wasteful in front of goal with good chances that followed. Madrid equalised in the 88th minute through their new signing Lucas Lieva, I thought I'd snatched the win; but 1point that I didn't expect to pick up results in a good result, despite feeling hard done by.

Premier League - Wigan 0 - Newcastle United 3 Cardozo(17), Papadopoulos(27), Adebayor(37)

Strong win. Showing signs of the system I have devised bearing it's fruits - 8 goals in 2 games now! Adebayor and Cardozo seem to be making a good partnership when two are played upfront.

Premier League - Birmingham City 0 - Newcastle United 1 Papadopoulos(67)

"Newcastle in control as Birmingham brushed aside" read the Sky Sports News headline post match. This would have been a game I'd have dropped points in before the end of last season. Birmingham's on loan in-form man Kevin De Bruyne wasn't allowed to play against his parent club, and it seemed to have a detrimental affect to their performance. Lassana Diarra man of the match at right-back.

Premier League - West Brom 1 - Newcastle United 0

Failed to put away in chances in the game, Cardozo had a stinker. Hopefully these 3dropped points won't come back to bite me on the arse at the end of the season.

Champions League - Zenit St. Petersburg 1 - Newcastle United 1 Taylor (2)

I dusted off my best winter jacket and headed off for a midweek trip to Russia. After Steven Taylor heading home a free kick after two minutes things were looking good. Shaqiri wasted far too many chances; if he had nine shots at John Lennon, he'd still be alive - and Adebayor had a contentious goal ruled out for offside. Zenit pushed men forward towards the end and our wastefulness was punished when they equalised in the 78th minute. Another game were we dominated yet failed to convert chances; I see this as two points dropped. After three games in my group I sit 3rd with 2 points, well behind Marsielle and Real Madrid.

Premier League - Newcastle United 1Taylor (90+1) - Liverpool 1

Fair result, two evenly matched teams. Should have made my one man dominance show after Carroll was sent off around the hour mark [haha!], but it took a last gasp effort from Steven Taylor to draw level as everything but the kitchen sink was thrown forward.

November

Premier League - Newcastle United 1Ba(7), Cardozo (37), Papadopoulos(51), Adebayor (90+1) - Bolton Wanderers 0

At home to a 'lesser' side allowed me to rest quite a few players ahead of a must win Champions League tie on the Tuesday saw returns to the side for Coloccini, Demba Ba, Kevin De Bruyne and Martin Kelly. After two months out Martin Kelly only lasted 30mins and is now out for another 6weeks with a torn groin. Ba also came off through injury, but nothing serious.

Premier League - Fulham 3 - Newcastle UnitedBen Arfa (82)

Only positive from this being Ben Arfa's return, with him scoring a late consolation goal. Less said about this the better.

Premier League - Newcastle United 2Adebayor (36), Eriksen (54) - Tottenham 1

Following a diabolic showing at the weekend this was a challenging mid-week fixture that was dealt with consummate ease. Spurs scored in injury time to make the scoreline considerably closer than the game really was. Eriksen was a different class.

Premier League - Aston Villa 3 - Newcastle UnitedGutierrez (19), Adebayor (38), De Bruyne (90+2)

Looked impressive in the first half; 2-0 up at half time, but let that lead slip and looked to have thrown away 3, before super-sub Kevin De Bryune snatched back a point.

Champions League - Newcastle United 3 Taylor (22), Cabeye (56.pen), Shaqiri (80) - Marseille 1

Convincing win that moved us above the French side into 2nd in the group by a single point. Sets up a interesting away trip to the Bernabeu in a week of fixtures that sees Marsielle face Zenit at home. Looks like I may have to take points from Real Madrid in their back garden to seal qualification.

Despite good performances against Real Madrid and Marseille in Europe, my league form is somewhat sporadic; and if not improved upon quickly will see us left too far behind the front runners.

Ben Arfa for me had excellent form during the run in last season after coming back from injury, but missed the start of this season due to injury again. Only just returning to the side; had a RW position nailed down end of last year, but the emergence of form in Shaqiri and De Bryune and the ever presence Gutierrez (is my Park Ji-Sung so to speak, always plays the big games and ties down a wing defensively- invaluable) has left Ben Arfa a lot to do to get back in the side. But is still firmly within my plans as he's still young and a very good player.

The squad is rather thin and any injury outbreak would definitely disrupt my team, which is why I am looking for 2 viable utility players who are able to play in a few positions in defence and attack (thus keeping the size of the main squad to below 25).

Sime Vrsaljko might be an option here, he's predominantly a right back, but he can play several other positions as well including DMC, MC and MR. Landon Donovan can cover at AMC and St equally well, but also play AMR,AML,MR and ML.

Ben Arfa is great when his morale is up. Hes got 20 assists and 9 goals for me this season (2nd season) but suffered a torn calf muscle so will miss the final 3 months of the season.

With regards to my save, I progressed through the Champions League 1st knockout round with a 5-2 aggregate win over HSV and beat Vilarreal in the quater finals with a thrilling 5-4 aggregate victory. Inter next in the semis and i fear my European dream may be cut short this year :( but you never know!

ooo that is a nasty run, although there should be a reward by winning the league cup :)

Heres the first leg result:

vinter.png

Can't quite believe it as the team were abysmal in the first half, having only 1 shot. I effectively told them they were rubbish and what a turn around! Got a little bit of luck with the missed penalty though lol

August to December fixtures update in the 3rd season.

nufcaugusttoendofdecemb.jpg

The season has gone well so far for us this season and we are still unbeaten in the Premier League after 25 games, with us winning 21 of them and drawing the other games. Man City are in 2nd place and are 7 points behind us but we still have a game inhand on them.

I'll post the January to February fixtures later tonight.

In the Community Shield we easily beat Leciester City 3-0 and in reality it should of been a lot more but we never took our chances in front of goal but two goals from our French centre back Adil Rami and a 25 yarder from Alex Song was enough for a easy win.

In the Super cup we played the Europa League winners, Spanish side Villareal and goals from Daniel Sturridge and Phil Jones give us the win over a very good Villareal side on the night.

We also won the World Club cup after beating Mexicans Chivas 2-0 in the semi final and Brazilians Santos 1-0 in the final.

Thats ALOT of transfers Col! lol What does your team look like atm. I bet there aren't many survivors from the original team :p. Looks like you're having a fantastic season though. Have you managed to train up any of the original youngsters mate?

Quite ridiculously, i'm in the Champions League final!

vinter2.png

A horrendously weakened team was still enough to beat inter somehow! With Ben Arfa, Wilfried, Gourcuff, Sam, Cabaye and Marveaux missing, the team still managed to cobble together a 1-0 victory!

Looks like it's Barcelona in the final. I'm pretty certain that I will not win haha

Sounds like a plan! Btw DandyDon, have you succeeded in developing any of the youngsters who are already at the club? i would be interested to see them if possible

Not had a lot of joy with them to be honest. Biggest failing of mine on FM11 and FM12 so far has been to really get anything out of the existing youngsters. Abeid and Vukic have done alright when called on, but never quite well enough to hold down a regular starting spot. Campbell seems to have completely stalled, stats not improving at all despite different training regimes and some 1st team action this season.

Not had a lot of joy with them to be honest. Biggest failing of mine on FM11 and FM12 so far has been to really get anything out of the existing youngsters. Abeid and Vukic have done alright when called on, but never quite well enough to hold down a regular starting spot. Campbell seems to have completely stalled, stats not improving at all despite different training regimes and some 1st team action this season.

Ah ok mate. I'm just wondering if any one is further in than me and if any of their younsters look good. The three you've mentioned are the three which are getting some first team action for me aswell but it's too early to tell how they're going to turn out

My scouts have found this lad from Newcastle United Jets, He is rated as having the potential to play at a similar level to Leandro Damiao, not bad for just £200k he joins next season when he's 18 but he will have to go on loan to my work permit feeder club CSKA Sofia.

nathanmellorsregeninsea.jpg

My scouts have found this lad from Newcastle United Jets, He is rated as having the potential to play at a similar level to Leandro Damiao, not bad for just £200k he joins next season when he's 18 but he will have to go on loan to my work permit feeder club CSKA Sofia.

nathanmellorsregeninsea.jpg

He looks AMAZING!

Thats ALOT of transfers Col! lol What does your team look like atm. I bet there aren't many survivors from the original team :p. Looks like you're having a fantastic season though. Have you managed to train up any of the original youngsters mate?

Quite ridiculously, i'm in the Champions League final!

Good luck in the Champions League final mate and well done for getting there in the first place :thup:.

In the first team we still have Davide Santoon, Yohan (The Dreamboat) Cabaye, Cheik Tiote and squad players we have Dan Gosling, Haris Vuckic, Mehdi Abeid and Adam Campbell gets cup games and the odd Premier league game.

This is how the three young uns look on my game so far. This is just using the default training and getting them tutored by senior players until a someone hopefully releases a good training schedule.

adamcampbellinseasonthr.jpg

harisvuckicinseasonthre.jpg

mehdiabeidinseasonthree.jpg

Beginning of FM12 Career - Start of a New Magpies Era

Since the team would only use 1 striker, I suppose Ba and Best are enough for me. It's mid July and I am contemplating of bringing 2 utility players (players who are able to cover a few positions) - one for defence and one for offence - in order to be able to micro-manage a small yet capable squad. Any suggestions on who I can bring in?

For a midfield/forward thinking utility player i'd recommend Zakaria Labyad from PSV. It's only early days in my Newcastle save but he's performed well in CM, MR, AMC and AMR for me so far when needed. I picked him up on a season long loan for only £375k and wages of £3,400 p/w so should leave you plenty of budget left. His attributes are improving across the board already too after only a few months of the season.

Andy Carroll seems to be a cash-cow that keeps on giving for Newcastle. I see a tidy £5.2m profit there!

Yeah, he wasn't very happy at being 4th choice striker (I only play with a lone forward up front) and he put in a transfer request so I asked for £15m treble his value and Zenit came back with a £10m bid which I happily accepted.

col_nufc1

Cheers for those screenies. You've done well getting campbells finishing so high! Looks like he could be a good poacher soon for you if he plays some games. The other 2 look pretty good too.

DandyDon

Good luck with the run. Its going to be a toughy!

DandyDon

Good luck with the run. Its going to be a toughy!

Cheers mate :thup:

Finished 2-1 to the Gunners, despite Nicolas Gaitan setting up our equaliser with a run from near the corner flag at our end, the full length of the pitch up the wing, and then crossing from almost the corner flag at their end.

Somehow wee Marc Albrighton had kept up to arrive on the end of the cross....unfortunately we gave another corner away almost straight from the kick off and we didn't clear it properly :(

Better start against Spurs, Gaitan putting us 1-0 up 15 minutes and we've had 62% of possession at White Hart Lane so far. Hope we keep going :p

Nice work mate. Looks like your tactics are spot on for possession.

Think im set to finish a dissapointing 7th this season. The Champions League run and alot of injuries have really affected my league form i think. May have to add to the squad in the summer.

Nice work mate. Looks like your tactics are spot on for possession.

Think im set to finish a dissapointing 7th this season. The Champions League run and alot of injuries have really affected my league form i think. May have to add to the squad in the summer.

How many games left to go for you? Any possibility of a late romp up the table?

I'm getting there on squad strength this season, have good options available in most areas now to cope...as long as we don't have one of those freak injury lists that happen from time to time.

Picked up the win at Spurs, finishing 3-1 in our favour, Bressan adding the 2nd and 3rd for us. 54% of possession at the end and 21 shots on goal compared to their 11. Happy with that showing.

Just 1 game left mate. Im comfortably 2-0 up but arsenal are 1-0 up against Cardiff and have the same points as me but a better goal difference. Is it just me or should I of expected a better positional finish with 73 points!?

And nice work mate, keep the form up and get through this tricky patch lol

So, about to start my 3rd season, so figured I would give a progress report.

Transfers to date:

Season 1:

Christian Eriksson 10M€

Yaya Sanogo 3M€

Lenny Nangis 10M€

Sime Vrsaljko 3M€

Xherdan Shaqiri 12M€

Darren Gibson 1M€

Managed to get rid of Smith and Ameobi for a combined fee of 5M€

Season 2:

Mateo Kovacic 3M€

Kyriakos Papadopoulos 32M€

Lucas Moura 45M€

Daniel Sturridge 3M€

Let Best, Ba, Obertan and Xisco go, bringing in about 22M€

Season 3 (to date):

6 regens

Khoumar Babacar 8M€

Alberto Paloschi 6M€

Felipe Anderson 6M€

This time I have let Williamson, Marveaux, Tiote and Coloccini go for roughly 15M€.

Still chasing a centre back (in for Boyata for 2M€ and a left back.....seemingly cannot afford my first choice of Alex Sandro). Also tempted by someone like Willian or Andre Schurrle.

First season I finished 5th, nothing spectacular to note. In the 2nd season though, i came 2nd, missing top spot by 4 points. Also got to the semi fainal of the Europa League, but suspensions and fatigue took it´s toll, and I succumbed to a heavy defeat. This seasn, I have built ready for a title challenge.

Currently playing a free flowing 4-2-3-1 with a lot of emphasis on attacking and creativity.

Krul / Forster

Sime / Simpson Papa / Kadar Taylor / ?? Santon / ??

Eriksson / Abeid Cabaye / Gibson

Shaqiri / Ben Arfa Vuckic / Anderson Moura / Kovacic

Sturridge / Paloschi

This leaves me with Sameobi, Babacar, Sanogo, Campbell and Nangis all pending to come through.

So, I am a bit heavy on strikers, and not much else.

I figured with Boyata, a left back and either Schurrle or Willian, I should be set for a few years.

Stand out players so far:

Staylor: 7.2 average with about 10 goals

Simpson: 7,3 average

Cabaye: 7,2 average with 13 goals and 22 assists

Abeid: 7,2 average with 11 goals and 14 assists

Shaqiri: 7,15 avergae with 20 goals and 17 assists

Moura: 7,3 avergae with 6 goals and 10 assists

Vuckic: 7 average with 8 goals and 10 assists

Sturridge: 7,1 average with 16 goals

So, now to proceed in the coming season.

Just 1 game left mate. Im comfortably 2-0 up but arsenal are 1-0 up against Cardiff and have the same points as me but a better goal difference. Is it just me or should I of expected a better positional finish with 73 points!?

And nice work mate, keep the form up and get through this tricky patch lol

Not sure about real life but 73 points would have gotten 6th in my 2 seasons so far.

JANUARY & FEBRUARY FIXTURES UPDATE IN 3RD SEASON.

nufcjanuarytoendoffebru.jpg

We have been knocked out of the Carling cup at the semi final stage after Spurs beat us in both games. I can't complain though as we have used the domestic cups to try and blood the youngsters and giving the fringe players a game.

Gareth Bale had a super game against Sunderland at St. James' Park bagging himself a hatrick and also getting a assist by making Thiago's goal.

In the FA cup 5th round a side made up of youth and first team players had a great game against Liverpool winning 5-0. Leandro Damiao scored a hatrick which should of been four goals but it went down as a Danny Wilson own goal after he deflected Damiao's volley from a cracking Bale cross into his own net. Adil Rami also scored from a Adam Johnson corner to send the Scousers home feeling the blues.

In the first round of the Champions League we played Shakhtar Donetsk and we won the first leg 2-1 in the Ukraine, after goals from Adam Johnson and Adil Rami and then a goal in the 87th minute from Sergiy Kryvtsov (another goal we conceeded from a set piece :() made it game on at St. James' Park in the second leg late in March.

Slighly off-topic but does anyone have a link to a 2012 facepack for Newcastle ?

On topic, still haven't won the league but I sold 40m worth of players and bought Eden Hazard, Jack Rodwell and a few other world class player :D

I use the megapack facepack, heres the link http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279152-FM12-Cut-Out-Faces-Megapack-Thread

Is Eden Hazard still as good as he was on FM11 ?

Oh lovely, took a wee break from playing my run of away matches. Came back to play the first leg against Shakhtar in Europe...and Yohan has his ribs broken in a rather over-enthusiastic challenge. :mad:

They won 2-0 as well to cap off a bad result all round.

What a nightmare Dandy :(, The Dreamboat is a amazing player, have you got a good backup for him ?

What a nightmare Dandy :(, The Dreamboat is a amazing player, have you got a good backup for him ?

I have my Mexican playmaker Alan Gonzalez who is pretty capable, and also Andrea Bertolacci has recovered from injury. So I probably shouldn't moan too much.

EDIT: The bigger problem is that my strikers seem to have run out of form at just the wrong moment. Both Paloschi and Sow have missed several easy chances in that last few games. Goals are currently coming from the wingers and midfielders.

What the hell just happened ? Steam closed FM it had a page about news come up and then FM reloaded by itself :confused:. I hope I don't have to go to far back from the last automatic save game :mad:.

EDIT: It saved a couple of days before the Shakhtar match so I have only lost 3 matches that I had played. I lost about 1-2 hours worth of looking at scouted players and the English under 18 player recruitment which I had managed to poach some really good looking prospects :(.

What the hell just happened ? Steam closed FM it had a page about news come up and then FM reloaded by itself :confused:. I hope I don't have to go to far back from the last automatic save game :mad:.

EDIT: It saved a couple of days before the Shakhtar match so I have only lost 3 matches that I had played. I lost about 1-2 hours worth of looking at scouted players and the English under 18 player recruitment which I had managed to poach some really good looking prospects :(.

Similar thing happened to me this evening, had runtime error come up. Lost three games progress, one of which was a win in CL against Marseille, so needless to say I wasn't too impressed. Although I lost to Man City 3-1 next game, so swings and round abouts.

Replayed the Marsielle game, won 2-1 - just; and currently 2-1 up agains City. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone had a problem with Ben Arfa retiring? He retired in mine at the end of the first season due to injury. When he played he was ace. Gutted .com!!!!

Unlucky Bene. Not had that problem yet, but someone else did have Cabaye retire due to injury on them. :eek:

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen to any of the lads on my save.

Yea someone else was talking about early retirement of players. What a gutter! Really unlucky for you Bene.

Unfortunately, we fell at the final hurdle in the Champions League. Only 1-0 mind but im encouraged to push on next season in the league and cups and need to add some depth to the squad

vbarcelona.png

This is how the tem performed over the season as i finished a disappointing 7th in the league:

teamseason2.png

Gourcuff didn't really settle in too well this season but I think he will be fine next season, fingers crossed.

2013/14 - Season Update - Run, run away

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

We came through a stern test with our difficult run of away fixtures, despite getting off to a lousy start by losing the first 2 of the run. We were rather swatted aside by Man City in the 2-0 defeat there, could and should have been far worse for us. The 2-1 defeat by Arsenal was hard to take after a much improved performance by the players, with slack defending from corners costing us both goals.

The players responded brilliantly though with a comfortable 3-1 win away at Spurs and weren't derailed by the setback at Shakhtar (mostly caused by me underestimating them and resting a few players). Winning the League Cup in emphatic style has provided a massive surge in confidence and saw a return to form by our strikers, especially Alberto Paloschi who'd failed to score in his 6 previous games, but then grabbed 5 from 5.

The real heroes during the run of away games though were Bressan and the fit again Nicolas Gaitan who both weighed in with some vital goals and assists and both earning 2 MoM awards during the 7 away matches (Adam Johnson bagging MoM during the Final)

nicolsgaitnoverviewprof.png

bressanoverviewprofile2.png

With the run of away games dealt with we now have a far easier looking fixture list to deal with and having disposed of Shakhtar at SJP we won 2 of 3 straight home league games to open up an 8 point gap over second placed Man Utd. Surely we can't screw it up from here?

I use the megapack facepack, heres the link http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279152-FM12-Cut-Out-Faces-Megapack-Thread

Is Eden Hazard still as good as he was on FM11 ?

He's still one of the best AMC's in the game but he will cost upwards of £40m now :(. I bought as seeing Cobaye and Ben Arfa injured a lot wasn't helping and Hazard seems to be injury free even in busy periods :)

Archived