FM12 Tottenham Hotspur Thread- The Best Team In North London

New to the forums and was directed here to this thread by AcidBurn.

About to start my first FM game with Spurs. I haven't played a management game since Alex Ferguson's Player Manager 2001 so this will be new to me.

I hope you guys don't mind but I will probably ask loads of questions (AcidBurn said you would be happy to help), although I will try to be sensible about it :)

Best of luck, mate. We're here to help, so feel free to ask away.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it's a good idea to terminate Adebayor's loan? His technical ability is great, but I just don't like him. His team work and work rate both stink and his £75k a week wages are annoying me. Could sign three good honest players with his wage alone.

I was thinking of getting shot of him and using Pavlyuchenko as the main T.M, and rotate Defoe and Dos Santos in that position (or bring them on later in games when opposition defenders are tiring).

Could someone please advise me? I haven't progressed any further since asking that question because I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry if I seem rude and pushy (that's not my intention), I just don't know how the game will react if I terminate his loan. I genuinely don't want him, and want to free up those wages for young hungry players.

Could someone please advise me? I haven't progressed any further since asking that question because I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry if I seem rude and pushy (that's not my intention), I just don't know how the game will react if I terminate his loan. I genuinely don't want him, and want to free up those wages for young hungry players.

I personally have Adebayor scoring over a goal per match for me, so I wouldn't suggest terminating the loan. Defoe does not do much for me on the game, so I would recommend selling him, then rotating Adebayor and Pavlyuchenko. If you want, you have the money to bring in someone like Damiao as well.

I've kept Ade for the first season, haven't played Pav at all really as I've had Cavani and he's banged in over 55 goals I'm not sure whether to keep Ade because of his wage demands either but he's good back up, although there's plenty of other strikers around like Wilfried who you can pick up for cheap assuming he's still at Vitesse

Thank you :)

I'll keep him then. I guess I just have an affinity for Pav and wee Defoe, and prefer them over Ade (in the real world). Would break my heart to sell Defoe if I'm being honest, but I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 and there's nowhere for him even on the bench at the minute :(

Thank you :)

I'll keep him then. I guess I just have an affinity for Pav and wee Defoe, and prefer them over Ade (in the real world). Would break my heart to sell Defoe if I'm being honest, but I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 and there's nowhere for him even on the bench at the minute :(

I play a 4231 too and JD is my striker in that. Plays as Adv fwd, but is set as Target man/run onto ball. Works a treat. over a goal a game at the moment.

Afternoon all,

Think this is my first post!

I have just started my second season with Spurs, won the league in the first season with 100 points, which is the first time I have ever done that on Football Manager with any team. I absolutely walked the league. Had 4 players in the top 7 assists in the league, 2 goalscorers and 4 of the top ratings.

Adebayor was nothing short of incredible, he seemed to score every time he got near the ball. Managed to persuade Mr Levy to sign Doumbia for me as well, which was nice :)

I will post some screengrabs when I get home.

Anyone else had success like that in the first season? I am very curious to know, unless I have missed something it looks like I have the Spurs thread first season record for points :)

My team in the first season was

---------------------Gomes---------------------

Walker------Dawson---------Kaboul---------Molinaro

-----------------------------Parker----------------

-----------Sandro---------------------------------

VDV----------------Modric--------------------Bale-

------------------Adebayor-------------------------

Team starting the second season

---------------------Gomes---------------------

Walker------Subotic---------Samba-----------Bale

-----------------------------Sandro----------------

-----------Hargreaves---------------------------------

VDV----------------Modric--------------------Rogriguez-

------------------Doumbia-------------------------

And made a promising start already.

I terminated Adebayor's loan and bought Michael Owen for £1.1M (2 year contract) - Half the wages and much better mentality, plus great attributes where they are needed are what made my decision.

Plus, when I was playing the 4-2-3-1 I felt we were too restricted in chances despite dominating possession, even against weak friendly opposition, so I'm going to switch to a 4-4-2 with a big striker/little striker of Pav + Owen/Defoe.

Have about £11M left for transfers and only really need a solid out-and-out LB, so any suggestions?

EDIT: and now (unrelated to Ade's termination) both Modric and Bale want improved contracts. I refused point-blank and now they're both moaning about it. Did I have to give in to their demands?

In my second season now after achieving a treble of league, uefa and league cup. Kaboul is top defender with Walker progressing beautifully as my first choice RB.. Sandro is immense, so keep him. First season I brought Baines, Leoandro damio and Vertonghan. I also brought Adebayor in the January window for 10m as I figured I could make a profit on him if he did'nt produce the goods.gomes is top draw and fbale must be in the top 10 players in the whole game. Lennon. Is worth keeping. My main gripe is not being able to get Modric firing, he is captain but hard to accomodate in my 442. This season i just brought Rossi, cost me 35m but worth every penny.

anyone done well with any of the youth?

no tales of coulibaly or bostock and co?

livermore is good

also.. what signings and sales have people done first window?

Signed Baines, Leandro and Vertonghan

Sold VdV, kranjkar and pav.

Good to see some of the early success people are having with Spurs.

I've just finished pre-season on season 2 with a comfortable win over Man City (3-1) in the Community Shield.

* League - won on Goal Difference from Man City. We both ended up on 95 points.

* League Cup - beat Man Utd 2-0. Had a pretty good draw most of the way to be honest.

* FA Cup - beat Notts Forest 3-0, but had a reasoanably tough draw until the final.

* Euro Cup - beat Dortmund 3-0 in the final.

A pretty successful first season all things considered. Standouts were Adebayor, Bale, Kaboul, Gomes, Cavani, Lennon and Defoe when called upon.

I'm using my own 4-2-3-1 formation which now looks likes this:

GK - Gomes / Sorensen

DR - Walker / Vrsaljko

DC - Kaboul / Dawson

DC - King / Bassong

DL - Cissokho / Naughton

DMC - Sandro / Huddlestone

MC - Modric / Van Der Vaart

MC - Hamsik / Thiago Neves

AMR - Willian / Lennon

AML - Bale / Douglas Costa

ST - Cavani / Defoe

Got a few youngsters developing as well such as Niang, Sanogo, Fierro, Coulibaly, Bertolacci and some regens.

I've made the following major sales:

* Pav - 5.5m

* Kranjcar - 8.0m

* Assou-Ekotto - 8.0m

* Jenas - 4.5m

* Livermore - 1.5m

* Khumalo - 2.5m

* Friedel - 500k

* Bentley - free

I chose not to buy Adebayor despite him banging in 40 goals due to salary reasons and I am still deciding whether to keep or sell Dos Santos since I purchased Willian & Douglas Costa in the summer.

Looking forward to my assault on the Champions League in season 2!

I've refused Bale a new contract after interest from United. He moaned for a few weeks but was fine.

Doesn't help that United/City bid for Modric and Bale every week in the transfer windows, mainly over 32 months. Does my nut.

if you stick his asking price up to 100million.. usually keeps the wolves at bay or at least keeps any offer they give you in the high 30million+

if you stick his asking price up to 100million.. usually keeps the wolves at bay or at least keeps any offer they give you in the high 30million+

Yeah I was thinking of doing that :)

Can't blame them for bidding on either though tbh, they've both been exceptional for me so far this season lol.

On another note, does anyone know a good striker (that's not Damião) that's good enough to replace Ade 2nd season? I was going to put in a bid for Ade but he's going to want 100k plus in wages and I've decided to set myself a 70k wage limit until 3/4 seasons in to help with finances and that. Was thinking of Moussa Sow or Doumbia from CSKA but I don't know what wages they'd want.

Yeah I was thinking of doing that :)

Can't blame them for bidding on either though tbh, they've both been exceptional for me so far this season lol.

On another note, does anyone know a good striker (that's not Damião) that's good enough to replace Ade 2nd season? I was going to put in a bid for Ade but he's going to want 100k plus in wages and I've decided to set myself a 70k wage limit until 3/4 seasons in to help with finances and that. Was thinking of Moussa Sow or Doumbia from CSKA but I don't know what wages they'd want.

Doumbia is very good although slightly inconsistent for me in my first season, cost me £17.5m (Could probably get him for lower) and he's on 45k per week.

I've noticed that immediately after any team pays attention to any single one of my players, they instantly demand a new contract.

I'm not sure how it will affect things, but my policy (lol - that sounds quite funny) is going to be refusing new contracts point-blank until the time comes when I decide to offer them.

I'm not really concerned because from what I'm reading on the general forum, even if I try to sell players nobody will even try and buy them :D

I haven't been given a big budget yet by the board, only 1.5m for a title challenge which is a big crap 2nd season even tho I won Europa, FA Cup and the Premiership. Hoping to ship out Pav, Gallas, Friedel, Kranjcar and maybe BAE and use Naughton to cover Baines, I probably should've taken the £21m offer City made for Baines but I tried asking for £30m and they withdrew.

Signed Otamendi for £13m, Yaya Sanogo got him on a free, Kovacic for about £3m with add ons and Ter Stegen for £14m

First game of the season is..............ar*enal again!!

I've noticed that immediately after any team pays attention to any single one of my players, they instantly demand a new contract.

I'm not sure how it will affect things, but my policy (lol - that sounds quite funny) is going to be refusing new contracts point-blank until the time comes when I decide to offer them.

I'm not really concerned because from what I'm reading on the general forum, even if I try to sell players nobody will even try and buy them :D

Thats one way of dealing with it. I tend to just cave if its a top player and then negotiate hardcore with their agent on their contract. I'd hate to lose Rafa, Luka or Bale.

What does everyone use Walker as? I've currently got him as a FB on automatic in my 4-4-1-1. But I've been toying with the idea of having him as either a FB on attack duty or a Wingback of some sort in a 4-3-3 (flat 3 in CM) with the wingers cutting in?

Anyone used him as a wingback and can tell me how he plays?

It all went wrong :mad:

Had Bale, VDV and Modric all injured long-term (minimum 3-4 months), then lost 4 straight Prem games without scoring and was put out of the League Cup by Leicester ffs. Fans and board were on my back, so I flipped in a team meeting and told the players they were all useless.

Quit the next day. Was probably going to be sacked anyway.

Knew I shouldn't have started as Spurs as I would get too emotionally involved. I think I'll try managing another team and come back to Spurs when I learn the ropes of FM.

An update on my 1st season:

I'm into the November International break and the team is flying. 2 points back from top spot and we've scored the most goals in the league. Only a 0-0 draw with Everton away has stopped me. Playing an attacking 4-2-3-1. The usual suspects like Bale, VdV, and Modric have been solid, but my biggest surprise as been Iago Falque. The kid's been very solid in my Europa League games and he deserves a chance.

Adebayor has been very very disappointing. Defoe is doing well while Vaclav Kadlec has been solid being used in cup games. I also signed Kara for my backline as well as Kovacic, my other future star.

chaps,first season i won the lot,ade was brilliant,40+goals,didnt really make any signings either!!

second season,runners up pl,semis of champs league,won both domestic cups,signed cavani,65 goals.SUPERB

got rid of the usual fringe players,and signed astori,kolorov,cavani and douglas.i really want a top class center back and keeper,any ideas??

Does anyone know if its possible to build a new stadium twice in the same game ? i have all the numbers, high avg att. and more then 220 mill £ on the bank account.

yep.. perfectly possible... just needs to be viable is all

just started as the mighty spurs and first game drew with man u 2-2, not bad start seeing as i have about 7 injuries already and not a recognised back four, but i've been looking for a decent back up for brad friedal(a youngster) to play in cup games this season and then take over next No.1 jersey next season, as i think i might try to make some money on gomes while i still can, but i don't wanna break the bank on a new keeper?

also again don't wanna break the bank but i was looking for an affordable young left back to rotate with BAE, preferably english but not essential?

Here's an update on things so far, testing my tactic, prior to release...

My Ass Man managed to win all friendlies, including a win over Valencia...

(Prem) Wigan at Home - Result 4 - 1 (Good start to the season against a team that i've always found it previously difficult to beat).

(Euro Cup) Helsingborgs at Home - Result 6 - 0 (Fantastic attacking movement in this match and could have easily been more goals).

(Prem) Chelsea Away - Result 2 - 0 (Using my tweaked tactic to use against world class teams, we managed to hold them back whilst scoring twice!).

(Euro Cup) Helsingborgs Away - Result 7 - 0 (Just like the previous leg, except 1 more goal!)

(Prem) Liverpool at Home - Result 1 - 0 (Should have been so many more goals, but the strikers weren't on target today, despite vast amount of shots).

(Prem) Aston Villa Away - Result 3 - 0 (Difficult match, but we did well).

(Euro) Brondby at Home - Result 2 - 1 (Very difficult match, but pulled through).

(Prem) Newcastle Away - Result 6 - 0 (Top class today, very good scoreline!).

(LC) Man Utd Away - Result 5 - 1 (Out of this world! I never expected this! Great result to get us through to 4th round!).

(Prem) Man City at Home - Result 1 - 1 (I wasn't too sure about this match, but we scraped a draw which is perfect).

(Euro) Metalist Away - Result 7 - 2 (Fantastic attacking play, but lacked the defensive side today).

(Prem) West Brom Away - Result 5 - 1 (Great result, good to score loads).

(Prem) Blackburn at Home - Result 1 - 0 (We had plenty of attacking movement, just nothing happening. We scored in the 90th minute to win it!).

I have signed nobody at all!

Archived