FM2012: The West Ham United Thread - Can we Hammer the Championship first time?

Well the league was easy enough. Scored over 100 goals and finished with a record points haul. (Doncaster were the third team to be relegated)

Screenshot2012-02-19at61600PM.png

The drama now beings... Dalglish and Wenger have both been fired and I'm the top choice for both jobs apparently. It's taken everything I have to not apply for the Liverpool job, but I held off since I'll be starting my own save with them after the next update. Now if Arsenal come calling... I don't know what I'll do.

Here are a few of my promising youth that came through...

Martin Smith

Mark Bilali

Rob Cooper

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In February in 7th season and 3rd at moment. After 7 seasons I decided that due to the ME's defensive failings attack is the best form of defence and now play an attacking 4-4-2 Diamond which has won me 7 on the bounce.....

But........... How do you guys see out a win if it's close? My second tactic is a 4-1-3-2 narrow defensive counter set up but I generally concede. Fortunately I am usually comfortably ahead! Just cannot get counter attacking to work and as soon as you go defensive in FM you just invite pressure. Thinking of trying just reducing tempo, shortening passing and going high time wasting with my attacking tactic and see how that goes or any other ideas would be appreciated. I play classic tactics BTW.

Team at mo is :

---------------Diaz---------------

Inkoom--Badstuber--Dawson--Fabio

-------------Anderson-------------

Fletcher. D.--------------Collison--

--------------Nasri----------------

--------Paloschi----Goodwillie

Subs : Lewis, Onuoha, Tomkins, Noble, Deminov, Schmitt, Witsel

Well I play a pretty attacking style myself. For me I usually changing from attacking to control and use the "retain possession" shout. If I see the AI has changed their formation to add another striker, I'll pull off my AM and replace him with a DM or even another CB.

Nice to see Badstuber there. I'm a massive fan of his IRL.

Well I play a pretty attacking style myself. For me I usually changing from attacking to control and use the "retain possession" shout. If I see the AI has changed their formation to add another striker, I'll pull off my AM and replace him with a DM or even another CB.

Nice to see Badstuber there. I'm a massive fan of his IRL.

I play Classic so maybe shorter passing and high timewasting with a slower tempo and a little narrower. I think the mistake we all make is go too defensive and you can defend properly in the ME.

Yeah he was a good "free" in about 6 years time. When I start again in the patch I'll try and get him from the off.

Won the 2012 Olympics with GB. In the 5-3 gold medal win over Mexico, Carroll had the pleasure of not only scoring a hattrick, but also being sent off after receiving two yellows.

i started a network save with a friend and we decided to play in the Championship so i choosed West Ham (he took over Leeds). in the summer i only sold Piquionne because of his high wage and exchanged Reid for Vass but in the winter i had to sell more players because i had huge losses every month. i brought Gibbs on loan because Ilunga had a 6 weeks injury but i wasn't happy with him. so here are my transfers:

westhamtransfershistory.png

i used a 4-1-3-2 counter tactic with an anchor man and 3 ball win mid and won the league easy thanks to very solid defending and to Quintero scoring 40 goals and making 21 assists in 44 games

npowerchampionshipovervl.png

westhamunitedmatchesmat.png

westhamunitedmatchesmat.png

and as a bonus i also won the FA Cup and won the Olympics with GB so it was a great season. the only bad thing was that i had a loss of around 27 mill €

It's December 1st in my second season. Currently sitting 8th in the Premiership. The really worrying thing is that the club is 12.5 million in the red currently and it's getting worse each month. I've been keeping everything within the budgets set, but we're just not bringing in enough money. It doesn't help that we're spending 1.3 million a month on non-footballing costs.

Getting ready for the 2016/2017 season now. Premier League placings since promotion have been 6th, 5th, 4th and 4th so I'm really happy with that. Won the Carling Cup in the 13/14 season, won the Europa League in 14/15 (amazing, 1-0 down to Sevilla and scored twice in the last 10 mins in the final), and reached the semifinals of the Champions League in 15/16 losing to Madrid. Beat Barca home and away in the group stage. Hoping to mount a serious title challenge this season.

This was my team last season:

GK - R. Green (D. Stockdale)

DR - K. Walker (J. Spence)

DC - J. Tomkins (N. Onuoha)

DC - C. Cathcart (K. Bartley)

DL - A. Kolarov (G. Cunningham)

DM - A. Vidal (M. Sissoko)

MC - J. Collison (D. Gibson)

MC - Bressan (M. Noble)

AMR - X. Shaqiri (B. Ruiz)

AML - Jaime (H. Ephraim)

ST - J. Rodriguez (P. Cisse)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished my first season with West Ham. I won the Championship on goal difference.

My team to start the Premier League season is:

GK: R. Green

DL: Taye Taiwo (On Loan)

DC: J. Tomkins

DC: J Vertonghen

DR: J. Faubert

MC: I. Camacho (On Loan)

MC: M. Noble

MC: K. Nolan

AML: U. Emanuelson

AMR: R. Morrison/A. Morgan (Regen)

ST: C. Cole/R Hall (Starts off at club as a Yth player)

Anyone know any decent tutors for Morrison? He seems to reject anyone & everyone at the moment...

I've also got some really good Yth players coming through. I've got a DR that Chelsea bid 10.75mil for, that Morgan has 5 star potential according to my scouts and I've got several more that I've bought in my reserves/youth team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now would be a good time to post in here I reckon, anyway I started a West Ham save about a week ago, just been promoted in the 1st season, finishing 1st in the Championship. Also currently managing the GB squad. Brought in Craig Dawson and Pablo Mouche from Boca Juniors, also brought in Ciligriano (sp) from River Plate on loan and then in Jan brought in the Brazillian striker Kleber on a free, they were my only signings to get me promoted. Currently got 8 million to spend in the 2nd season, looking to build a GB sort of squad with a couple of foreigners. Star of the first season for me was the youngster Ravel Morrison, kept Nolan out of the team and finished with around 20 assists, ahead of Noble and Collison who also had a great season. Cole and Maynard had a good season as did Kleber from Jan, and my 2 CB's were solid all season (Tomkins and Dawson) both getting into team of the year.

Started a West Ham save, finished 1st by 18 points but I lost in the FA Cup Final to Arsenal 2-0 :( 2 own goals as well.

Bought Paul Dixon from Dundee United and Jamie Murphy from Motherwell, loaned in Jack Robinson from Liverpool and Craig Dawson from West Brom. Sold Piquionne, Vaz Te and cancelled the loan of McCartney.

Played a 4-3-1-2 formation and the stars of my team were Dawson, Noble, Tomkins, Dixon, Maynard and Lansbury.

Highlight of the season was probably beating Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in the FA Cup.

Started a West Ham save, finished 1st by 18 points but I lost in the FA Cup Final to Arsenal 2-0 :( 2 own goals as well.

Bought Paul Dixon from Dundee United and Jamie Murphy from Motherwell, loaned in Jack Robinson from Liverpool and Craig Dawson from West Brom. Sold Piquionne, Vaz Te and cancelled the loan of McCartney.

Played a 4-3-1-2 formation and the stars of my team were Dawson, Noble, Tomkins, Dixon, Maynard and Lansbury.

Highlight of the season was probably beating Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in the FA Cup.

Good job in the league and unlucky in the FA Cup Final.

Sold Vaz Te? Criminal :D

How much did you get Dawson for? Good player :thup:

Won the championship undefeated with West Ham, aswell as the FA Cup. FA Cup run was really easy, all lower league team except Swansea in the Semis and Fulham in the finals.

Brought in a fair few players but all on the cheap, Bandalovski for RB, Chris Wood on loan, Modise, McFadden, Bannan on Loan, Stefan Savic on loan. On 11.1 patch btw or whatever it is before the jan transfers.

Flogged Piquionne, Faubert, Gary O'Neill.

2nd season got 20m to spend as i spent nothing last year, have gone snidey though doing some long term payment plans. Got De Bruyne for 500k, Vertonghen for 10m, Jose Angel for 7,5m, Jovetic (a real steal) for 15m + Pabolo Barrea, Wellbeck on Loan, Gokhan Tore on Loan, Sidney Sam on Loan, Gaston Fernandez for 5m. Am now skint! Lost Community shield on pens vs Man City but won first game vs Chelsea 3-1!

Aiming for a mid table finish and a cup win plus good run in Europa Leagiue

• 2 months later...

1st season: Bought in young Scottish CD Hanley from Blackburn £5.75M (idea to build a club with young English/British identity but that fell by wayside mostly) and young CM Bigirimana from Coventry £130K.

Finished 2nd behind Southampton.

Top scorer: Carlton Cole 11/ most assists: Matty Taylor 14/ highest rating: Tomkins 7.35 (scores a fair few from near post corners).

2nd season: Bought in Joe Cole on loan from Liverpool, Vargas from Fiorentina £3.9M, Briggs from Fulham £4.3M, Xavi Torres DM from Malaga £1.6M. In January Balotelli from City £10M, Insua from Sporting £9M, Alderweireld CD from Lille £11M.

Sold Barrera to Soton £2.5M, Matty Taylor to Norwich £3M plus Faye, Diop, Faubert, O'Brien, Carew, Piquionne and Maynard free.

Finished 10th and won League Cup.

Top scorer: Vargas 11/ assists: Noble 13/ rating: Tomkins 7.31

3rd: Bought Saviola from Benfica free, Belhanda AM Montpellier £18.5M, Cuenca AMR Barca £3.5M, Butland Birmingham £2.3M, Castaignos STR Inter £13.5M. In Jan ter Stegen 22yo GK Gladbach £10.25M.

Sold Balotelli to Inter £7M cos he was always playing up, let Joe Cole go back cos he was unimpressive, Baldock to Sheff U £1.7M, Sears free to Notts Co, Reid free to Leeds plus O'Neill, Stech and Kurucz free.

Finished 8th. Went out in Europa League 4th Qual 5-6 to AEK after winning 1st home leg 5-0!

Top scorer: Saviola 18/ assists: Vargas 15/ rating: Tomkins 7.36

4th: Bought Aurier 21yo DR £8.75M, Toulalan Malaga £1.7M, Rodwell Everton £16.5M, Niang 19yo STR Caen £6M

Sold Collison Norwich £2.9M, Briggs Everton £1M plus Green, Demel, Cole, Vaz Te, Nouble free.

Finished 5th.

Scorer:Tomkins 15/ assists: Belhanda 22/ rating: Tomkins 7.46

5th: Bought Ox-Chamberlain Arsenal £10.5M (8 goals 10 assists avr 7.19 from 35 appearances at AMR) and in Jan Griezmann AML Sociedad £19.5M (8 goals 5 assists 7.29 from 17) and Hasek CD regen QPR £15.5M.

Sold Ravel Morrison to Bolton £750K (bad attitude), Hanley to Cardiff free, Bigrimana Swindon free plus Nolan and Xavi Torres free.

Won the league with 87 points, 4 clear of Man C. Lost League Cup final 1-2 to Man U. Knocked out by Chelsea 5-6 in Europa League quarters. Lost FA Cup semi 1-2 to Birmingham after resting players.

Scorer: Castaignos 23/ assists: Noble 23/ rating: Niang 7.28

6th: Bought M'Vila Rennes £26M £110K, no other world class players will consider signing.

Sold Vargas to Birmingham free plus Toulalan free.

Tomkins has 10 England caps and Noble has been called into a squad after an injury withdawal.

I turned down England job after league winning season and they went with Di Matteo who had been unemployed since being sacked by Chelsea at the end of the second season.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived