Barcelona style in FM 2012

Five games in to the season with Brighton, last four with the new tactic and record 4 wins and two draw and concede only two goal. Absolutely dominate matches but find scoring difficult sometimes... also main passers seem to be the full backs and the DCM.. anothe problems is that the changing position puts players into positions they are not good at but on the plus side confuses the AI and opens up spaces.

Tactic and positions are made to match Barcelona players abilities, so feel free to change it to match abilities of your players. Try maybe to put DMC on MC, and MC to DMC... I am currently working on tactic that cant be used by all teams not only Barca.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the detailed answer. I now feel i have a greater understanding due to krunccrni's & your tactics and will try my very own interpretation and post my results.

I've feel its far better to obtain the knowlegde and understanding so you can create your own tactics rather than copying and pasting, both you guys have been extremely helpful thanks.

Thats was my main reason to create this thread :)

Tactic and positions are made to match Barcelona players abilities, so feel free to change it to match abilities of your players. Try maybe to put DMC on MC, and MC to DMC... I am currently working on tactic that cant be used by all teams not only Barca.

What Im working with is switching Striker with the AMC and possibly AMCR with AML. This may be plausible with the team.

Also found you have to be careful with the DCs... the one covering back needs to be the stronger of the two. I played the weaker but faster and he had a nightmare in that role.

hi krunccrni,

I've been following this thread and I must say your results are impressive. I will try your tactics and see if there is anything I can take from it to improve my own :) one question though. When you uploaded your tactics, you uploadd two of them (tactic 1 and tactic 2)

What is the difference between the two anfd which one is which? thanks a lot mate :)

hi krunccrni,

I've been following this thread and I must say your results are impressive. I will try your tactics and see if there is anything I can take from it to improve my own :) one question though. When you uploaded your tactics, you uploadd two of them (tactic 1 and tactic 2)

What is the difference between the two anfd which one is which? thanks a lot mate :)

TACTIC <-- link

TACTIC <-- link

thx

it's same tactic on two different servers

im thinking of trying this tactic slightly tweaked with Paris St.Germain. 4-1-2-2-1 Pastore in the centre two paired with another Xavi style midfielder. Menez and Nene on the two wings and try both gameiro and Honarau up top playing as advanced forward and target man respectively. Was originally going to field 4-2-3-1 but this thread has all but changed that.

Great thread some interesting tips

ahhhh i was asking beecause i saw in a previous post that you were planning to make two version of it, one more attacking and one more focused on keeping possession. Thanks a lot for the reply though, can't wait to try and implement some of your findings :D

im thinking of trying this tactic slightly tweaked with Paris St.Germain. 4-1-2-2-1 Pastore in the centre two paired with another Xavi style midfielder. Menez and Nene on the two wings and try both gameiro and Honarau up top playing as advanced forward and target man respectively. Was originally going to field 4-2-3-1 but this thread has all but changed that.

Great thread some interesting tips

thx hope it will work

ahhhh i was asking beecause i saw in a previous post that you were planning to make two version of it, one more attacking and one more focused on keeping possession. Thanks a lot for the reply though, can't wait to try and implement some of your findings :D

hehe, good luck, and thanks for trying

krunccrni,

In the screenshots with Malaga, what changes are you testing? It looks like most passes are made out wide. Is your passing focus now changed to mixed? I'm assuming the formation is the same.....

When I play against Real M with Barca, I've found out that it is best to set the Tempo and Time Wasting sliders in the middle of the bar, specifically when playing an away game against them. That is because at home Real M uses really aggressive pressing game with hard tackling and quick tempo. I also remove Hold up Ball for most players. I still get more possession and better pass completion than them, but my Playmaker doesn't make that many passes.

I would like to see your passing analysis with Malaga against Real M.

I've started looking at your tactic, my my classic tactics, it's been a while lol. I have a couple of questions already: I guess I will find the info in a screenshot somewhere in the thread but if it is not the case, what is the typical line up you'd use? Xavi as the MCL?

Second I have noticed that corners, throw-ins etc do not have designated takers, is this somewhere in the thread as well?

I'll try to improve my tactic with some of your ideas BUT with the TC :D

krunccrni,

In the screenshots with Malaga, what changes are you testing? It looks like most passes are made out wide. Is your passing focus now changed to mixed? I'm assuming the formation is the same.....

When I play against Real M with Barca, I've found out that it is best to set the Tempo and Time Wasting sliders in the middle of the bar, specifically when playing an away game against them. That is because at home Real M uses really aggressive pressing game with hard tackling and quick tempo. I also remove Hold up Ball for most players. I still get more possession and better pass completion than them, but my Playmaker doesn't make that many passes.

had a lot of changes, its almost new tactic... even tactic shape is different

its because they use very tight marking and hard tackling.

I will upload screenshot

I've started looking at your tactic, my my classic tactics, it's been a while lol. I have a couple of questions already: I guess I will find the info in a screenshot somewhere in the thread but if it is not the case, what is the typical line up you'd use? Xavi as the MCL?

Second I have noticed that corners, throw-ins etc do not have designated takers, is this somewhere in the thread as well?

I'll try to improve my tactic with some of your ideas BUT with the TC :D

MCL (playmaker takes free kicks, and corners)

Is it possible to create your tactic using the TC?

Here's the link to my attempt at using this tactic as a basis using the TC, I'm not sure it is as effective but bear in mind I'm playing as Ipswich Town, and as much as I love Jimmy Bullard he ain't not Xavi!

had a lot of changes, its almost new tactic... even tactic shape is different

its because they use very tight marking and hard tackling.

I will upload screenshot

got the max out of passing, now got to be more dangerous in front of goal

maljaga.jpg

I had a feeling you have made a lot of changes. What is your formation/shape now? Again, in this screenshot the passing pattern looks to be more on the wings, which means that you have either changed the passing focus to Mixed or you have your fullbacks hug the touchline (maybe even both). I would also guess that your tactic now uses 3MCs......

krunccrni,

Yonko, i've also encountered this problem with real madrid and with other teams that press aggressively. I'm also finding it difficult replicating the high volume of passes with my playmaker when trying to strike a balance between creating more chances and dominating possession. I've found that with extremely short passing players tend to pass the ball backwards when there's a perfectly easy through pass , i wouldn't expect this from the playmaker or the more creative players. I'm basically playing with the same 4-1-2-2-1 as you but the AMR/L have attacking mentality cause i found they never contributed enough during the games. My playmaker and Messi have high creative freedom and mixed passing on the first click.

During your matches do you make any tactical changes eg. 1. adjust sliders for playmaker?

2. How do your wide men perform? Pedro and especially Villa perform poorly?

3. How many goals on average do you score a game? (i really struggle to score more than one)

Thanks for the help

Yonko, i've also encountered this problem with real madrid and with other teams that press aggressively. I'm also finding it difficult replicating the high volume of passes with my playmaker when trying to strike a balance between creating more chances and dominating possession. I've found that with extremely short passing players tend to pass the ball backwards when there's a perfectly easy through pass , i wouldn't expect this from the playmaker or the more creative players. I'm basically playing with the same 4-1-2-2-1 as you but the AMR/L have attacking mentality cause i found they never contributed enough during the games. My playmaker and Messi have high creative freedom and mixed passing on the first click.

During your matches do you make any tactical changes eg. 1. adjust sliders for playmaker?

2. How do your wide men perform? Pedro and especially Villa perform poorly?

3. How many goals on average do you score a game? (i really struggle to score more than one)

Thanks for the help

Well, I find it pretty normal to have less number of passes from all your players, even the playmaker, when playing a team with the quality of Real Madrid especially when they use high pressing game coupled with tight marking and hard tackling.

I'm not sure exactly what IRL statistics are, but I doubt that Xavi makes as many passes against Real M as he does against some other teams of lower quality. In other words, I doubt that Xavi has made 100 passes vs Real M IRL. However, he did make around that number against Arsenal, but their were not playing a high pressing and aggressive game as Real M do under Mourinho.

So with that being said, I find it normal and realistic.

As for your questions:

Yes, during matches like against Real M I make changes, but only minor, like adjusting Tempo and Time Wasting, GK Distribution and maybe Passing Focus.

My wide men have mixed performances. There are some matches where they take their chances well, they score or make assists and get good ratings, while in other matches they miss a lot of chances and their ratings are low. On the other hand, Messi in the STC position is a beast as he is IRL. Here are my players stats at the end of the Demo with Barca:

barcaplayerstatsendofde.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can clearly see what a monster Messi was. You can also see that Pedro, Sanchez and Neymar did very well as well with only Villa struggling relatively to the others. I have started a new Barca save where I haven't sold or bought anyone and Villa is once again not playing very well on the left, while Sanchez and Pedro do very well on the right (Pedro is my starter).

I can't remember exactly how many goals I averaged with Barca, but it was around 3.5 per game, more or less. I beat Zaragoza 12-0 (they had 2 players sent off though), I beat Valencia 4-1 (away), I beat Atletico M 6-1 (at home), I beat Real M 6-2 in the 2nd leg of Supercup, I beat Porto 5-0, I beat Real M 3-0 in La Liga. However, I did have a couple of 1-0 wins, one of them against Villarreal in the opening La Liga game. On the other hand, I went on a stretch of 12-13 games without conceding a goal. And all that was achieved while I was tweaking my tactic trying to increase my passing number, particularly for my Playmaker.

My wide men have mixed performances. There are some matches where they take their chances well, they score or make assists and get good ratings, while in other matches they miss a lot of chances and their ratings are low. On the other hand, Messi in the STC position is a beast as he is IRL. Here are my players stats at the end of the Demo with Barca

I think i may be a bit impatient, the formation familiarity levels are only halfway so i'll continue to tweak alittle. I was wondering, with Iniesta do you sometimes push him into the AMCL position to counter aggressive pressing, if not do you increase his passing length or creative freedom(he has some impressive assists numbers in your team).

I find that staggering the midfield 3, AMCL, MCR and DMCL can sometimes confuse the AI like Krunccrni stated.

With the wide men, do you sometimes adjust their TTB to sometimes because i find they offer very little and was curious as to how they contributed in regards to assist?

I've also noticed Dani Alves has contributed quite a few assists also , does he have TTB sometimes or crosses?

While I like Krunccrni's passing stats your tactic seems more potent in attack, with more players contributing in assists. (i may need to look at Krunccrni's end of season results to confirm)

If you have any suggestions in regards to helping me increase my playmakers passes per game they would be appreciated. I remember you saying your time wasting was on sometimes instead or rarely, maybe the patient probing play might help my. I will try make some more adjustments tonight.

GK distribution adjustments? would that just be change of player?

Passing focus would be to mixed, i'm assuming.

Hold up ball changes against RM, which players do you remove this from and do you do this in any other fixtures?

Again,sorry to ask so many questions but i really want to have a great understanding of this particular tactic so i can then use it for teams other than Barcelona.

Update on my Brighton save....

The really key change seems to have been switching my CBs to man marking. Suddenly we are conceding less and scoring more. Since doing this we are unbeaten and scoring 3-5 a game. Have adapted the swapping of players to fit with what positions the players can play and have also put quite a few players on positional training.

Still havent managed to get any player past 70 passes a game but that may just be the nature of the level we are playing at.

For English lower leagues, man marking seems to be the key.

I think i may be a bit impatient, the formation familiarity levels are only halfway so i'll continue to tweak alittle. I was wondering, with Iniesta do you sometimes push him into the AMCL position to counter aggressive pressing, if not do you increase his passing length or creative freedom(he has some impressive assists numbers in your team).

I find that staggering the midfield 3, AMCL, MCR and DMCL can sometimes confuse the AI like Krunccrni stated.

With the wide men, do you sometimes adjust their TTB to sometimes because i find they offer very little and was curious as to how they contributed in regards to assist?

I've also noticed Dani Alves has contributed quite a few assists also , does he have TTB sometimes or crosses?

While I like Krunccrni's passing stats your tactic seems more potent in attack, with more players contributing in assists. (i may need to look at Krunccrni's end of season results to confirm)

If you have any suggestions in regards to helping me increase my playmakers passes per game they would be appreciated. I remember you saying your time wasting was on sometimes instead or rarely, maybe the patient probing play might help my. I will try make some more adjustments tonight.

GK distribution adjustments? would that just be change of player?

Passing focus would be to mixed, i'm assuming.

Hold up ball changes against RM, which players do you remove this from and do you do this in any other fixtures?

Again,sorry to ask so many questions but i really want to have a great understanding of this particular tactic so i can then use it for teams other than Barcelona.

It's OK to ask this many questions, after all this is what this thread is for. I will try answering in order.

1. I didn't move my players into AMCL, DMCL positions - I have not experimented with that (perhaps I will at some point though). The only players I may move are my wide attackers - STL to AML and/or STR to AMR. I have kept Iniesta/Thiago at MCL, Xavi/Fabregas at MCR and Busquets/Mascherano at DM. The MCR and DM have the shortest passing, MCL has passing at 3-4 clicks and higher Creative Freedom.

2. My wide attackers do have TTB on sometimes, always, but no cross ball and they cut inside. Yes, Dani Alves has TTB on sometimes too, no cross ball either.

3. I'm not sure how more potent my attack is compared to krunccrni's, he hasn't posted end of demo stats. I do know that my players have more key passes during matches though. I don't know how or why, because we have very little differences in our tactics (from the one he has posted for download, not the one he is currently working on)

4. I'm still experimenting and trying to increase the number of passes for my playmaker. I will let you know if I manage that. For now krunccrni is the expert on that.

5. Yes, I change the player my GK distributes to - usually it is the DCL, but sometimes I change it to DCR

6. Passing focus is usually through the middle, but sometimes I change that to mixed

7. I remove hold up ball for every players against Real M

Your passing stats for the player in the Xavi role are very impressive, completely obvious. But you shouldn't raise one player's passing stats without raising the others. It's just unrealistic to have him play about 100+ passes, while the others have barely 50.

Barcelona in real life had an average passing stat of ~672 passes per game, while Xavi had an average of 110 passes/game. That means, his influence in percentage figures is 16,3%. You seem to achieve about 500-550 passes per game, pretty good. But that would mean that there is no need for you to have Xavi consistently play more than 100 passes per game. The team would be too dependant on one player, when there is still Busquets, Messi, Iniesta, etc. Therefore, about 80-90 per game is enough. Instead, Busquets and Iniesta, who are number two and three in most passes played, should be able to influence the game much more. Busquets' average in real-life is 86 passes, Iniesta's 78, so in your tactic that would be 65-70 for Busquets and about 58-63 for Iniesta.

The passing stats are not too barca-esque as they are not balanced enough, but I think you're on a good way! This is not critique, but more advice, so: Keep up the good work.

This looks an incredibly impressive tactic.

Just for info, how much of the testing was done on the demo? Not to take away anything from the tactic, but the demo is always easier than the full version.

Still I'm going to try this out as it looks amazingly done. :applause:

krunccrni you are now a genius in my FM book. This is how I made it work for Liverpool, no tweaking whatsoever just a matter of putting the right players at the right position.

The tactic

liverpooltacticsovervie.jpg

The players

liverpoolplayers.jpg

The result

liverpoolvmancitystatsm.jpg

Ayew is my best player, my own Messi. If Ayew is injured I usually play Gerrard or Eriksen in the position.

Need to get rid of excess baggage now on the next Window : Kuyt, Henderson, Downing, Bellamy and Carroll(I will make him kiss Damiao's feet first)

Its gonna take me sometime to dissect this tactic and understand how you managed to create that level of possession. The amount of fouls the opposition commits on my players are also staggering.

You should really post this tactic on the fmbase forums too.

Link doesnt load up. But is it the same?

It's as near as you can get using the TC, I basically adjusted each players individual settings to match those of the original tactic. Only change I made was set pieces to take advantage of my free kick takers. note, this is a version of the 1st krunccrni tactic. If the links not working send me your email address and I'll mail it to you.

I seem to be the only one trying to manage this tactic for lower leagues..... :(

Well Ive now gone right down to the Conference now with York City and Im afraid to say you have to start sacrificing some passing here. Ive now got the tactic working gloriously but to do this I had to up the passing and the temp to mixed and normal. same formation and we are still outpassing every team in the division but so far no one has passed more than 60 passes. Also you have to bring the defence back a little because conference sides will just kick the ball over the back for someone to run onto... remember at this level defences aren't so quick or fit.

Still the best passing team in the division and cutting everyone to threads but is it still the same tactic?

Hi.

I´m using this tactic with Real Madrid (FM 2012). My playmaker is Xabi Alonso (MCL position). In the team instructions I can see that the option "use a playmaker" is ticked. The problem is that there is no player choosed as playmaker and I can´t find the option to select them.

Is normal in this tactic that the option use playmaker is ticked and no player is choosed as playmaker?? How can Iselect a player if it´s necessary??

The playmaker is the MCL or the DMCR??

Thanks

I seem to be the only one trying to manage this tactic for lower leagues..... :(

Well Ive now gone right down to the Conference now with York City and Im afraid to say you have to start sacrificing some passing here. Ive now got the tactic working gloriously but to do this I had to up the passing and the temp to mixed and normal. same formation and we are still outpassing every team in the division but so far no one has passed more than 60 passes. Also you have to bring the defence back a little because conference sides will just kick the ball over the back for someone to run onto... remember at this level defences aren't so quick or fit.

Still the best passing team in the division and cutting everyone to threads but is it still the same tactic?

That's very interesting. I'm using this tactic with Carshalton and haven't tweaked it at all (apart from a brief attempt at the man-marking CBs which failed badly). I've definitely had the ball being lumped over the defence catching me out, I'll try your idea about dropping the defensive line a little.

Without any tweaks I've still found this an excellent tactic, in a funny way it's even better with a poor team because the ball retention is so good. That means that my weak side has an excellent defensive record, as the opposition only see the ball for maybe 35% of the game, so they can't totally overpower me - as they'd been doing before. This means my side are overperforming far more than say Barcelona would be, as you'd expect them to do well anyway.

Archived