Barcelona style in FM 2012

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last game was like watching real Barcelona on tv. Complete domination, beautiful football, high possession and a lot of passes.

Mallorca started with 4-2-3-1 and ended with 4-2(dmc)-2(RM-LM)-1AMC-1SC.

Fabregas was playmaker, and played at MCL, last 30 min at MCR.

Possession 75%

Completed passes 604

Completed passes by playmaker (Fabregas) 116

Statistic

renesanse.jpg

Unbelievable passing

renesanse2.jpg

Hi krunccrni, below is the link to the wizard tactic I've made based on some of the ideas I gleaned from looking at your initial tactic after I'd initially been unsuccessful. I've of course credited you in my thread and also linked this thread and recommended your tactic. I'm currently experimenting with raising the mentality of my striker and I'm also going to experiment with getting the wingers to cut inside more. looking forward to seeing ow your new tactic works.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/278001-FM2012-Possesion-is-king-tic-a-tac-tactic?p=7157121#post7157121

I watched many full matches and it is impossible with 4-1-2-2-1 formation to get with Xavi 100 passes, maybe one or two games per season. Its all because of tight marking. With only two players as MC, and AI playing with 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, AI manager will always tight mark two MC. Problem is because Xavi and Iniesta cant shake of opposition players, or switch position to be open for receiving ball, and that is main difference between FM and real life playing.I was hoping that would be in FM 2012 somehow more realistic...So for now i found that solution to put one MC to AMC.

Roaming is ticked on lot of my players. They have more solutions in attack, and they are more dangerous for opposition goal. I will try few games with all players ticked roaming and few without so I can check difference. When testing the best way is to watch full match and that take more time but help a lot to understand ME.

Last game was like watching real Barcelona on tv. Complete domination, beautiful football, high possession and a lot of passes.

Mallorca started with 4-2-3-1 and ended with 4-2(dmc)-2(RM-LM)-1AMC-1SC.

Fabregas was playmaker, and played at MCL, last 30 min at MCR.

Possession 75%

Completed passes 604

Completed passes by playmaker (Fabregas) 116

Statistic

renesanse.jpg

Unbelievable passing

renesanse2.jpg

Possession 73%

Completed passes 584 (90%)

Xavi completed passes 118

CSKA started with 5-3-2, and second half 4-4-2.

againx.jpg

again2.jpg

Impressive!!! Are all these stats achieved with the same formation/tactic/instructions? Do you alter anything during a game?

I haven't had that much time to experiment (some unforeseen domestic things have kept me away from playing FM since yesterday) unfortunately.

So you say using 2MCs + AMC is the solution to the tight marking, eh? What about 3MCs, have you tried that? I'm thinking that if I use 3 MCs and set MCR to swap with the MCC during the match then that would make it very difficult for the AI to tight-mark my Playmaker.

Good job though! Are you re-posting the tactic or are you still polishing it?

Impressive!!! Are all these stats achieved with the same formation/tactic/instructions? Do you alter anything during a game?

I haven't had that much time to experiment (some unforeseen domestic things have kept me away from playing FM since yesterday) unfortunately.

So you say using 2MCs + AMC is the solution to the tight marking, eh? What about 3MCs, have you tried that? I'm thinking that if I use 3 MCs and set MCR to swap with the MCC during the match then that would make it very difficult for the AI to tight-mark my Playmaker.

Good job though! Are you re-posting the tactic or are you still polishing it?

Yes, all from same tactic... During match only DMCright to MCR, at that point Xavi is MCL, and Maybe Xavi to MCR, then DMC to MCL or DMCleft. I did not try 3 MC, but i will try it. Also when I put playmaker to swap he has less passes.

My last game formation

formation.jpg

There is a few more ideas I want to test but soon I will upload it.

I must say, this is a fantastic thread, extremely interesting. I have to commend you on not posting the tactic straight away and polishing it. Far too often I see tactics that basically are all about unrealistic attacking, but leak goals and just don't play good football. Seems you're getting the Barcelona way sorted :).

Just a quick question though, will you release one tactic with one formation, or a set of tactics with a few formations and tweaks? Just for rotation purposes.

Tried this tactic out in a save with Man Utd. It works absolutely immensely. Totally dominate every match and score a bucket full of goals. This tactic gets a definite Thumbs Up from me.

Thx for trying tactic, glad that works for you. Its actually a old version I am working currently on new with a lot of tweaks and I am getting much better results as you can see in screenshots. Soon I will put link with that tweaked version.

I must say, this is a fantastic thread, extremely interesting. I have to commend you on not posting the tactic straight away and polishing it. Far too often I see tactics that basically are all about unrealistic attacking, but leak goals and just don't play good football. Seems you're getting the Barcelona way sorted :).

Just a quick question though, will you release one tactic with one formation, or a set of tactics with a few formations and tweaks? Just for rotation purposes.

Thanks,

probably one standard, and one more defensive to use against stronger teams or when I got big lead.

Started third (half) season... After tweaks I am getting best results so far...

Against Porto

Possession 82%

Completed passes 656

Xavi completed passes: 127

that's a progress!

porto.jpg

porto2n.jpg

After this weekend I will upload new tweaked tactic

first version was fantastic at my Liverpool save.

is there any change to upload the new version of your tactic tonight ?

i know that's annoying but i want to start new save and i want to try your new version :D

Started third (half) season... After tweaks I am getting best results so far...

Against Porto

Possession 82%

Completed passes 656

Xavi completed passes: 127

that's a progress!

porto.jpg

porto2n.jpg

Xavi maestro

realsocied.jpg

WOW! That looks great. Are you still using the same formation as the one you posted above with DMCR, MCL, AMC, AMCR, AML and STC? Can you highlight any interesting tweaks (instructions changes from your original tactic) that have helped increase the number of passes? Is it a tempo change, time wasting change, width, some individual instruction or combination of all or some?

I've started a new demo save with Barca too and I'm using a classic 4-3-3 with 3 MCs + STL/STR created in CLASSIC mode - I've abandoned the TC. I'm relatively happy with the results so far after playing 5 friendlies, 2 thrilling games vs Real M, one against Porto and the first La Liga game vs Villarreal. I get a lot of possession, and a high number of passes, particularly for my playmaker the MCR (Fabregas completed 71 out 81 passes vs Villarreal for example), but after seeing your latest screenshots, I am not getting nearly as many passes or as much possession as you.

However, it is interesting to see from your screens, that there is still left-hand side preference. I'm assuming that is because you use MCL as playmaker, correct? Is the GK set to distribute to the DCL or is he set to do so to DCR? In my games so far I don't see a left-hand preference. My playmaker is the MCR and the GK's distribution is set to the DCL.

I would love to find out your player and team instructions. Great job, btw.....again.

WOW! That looks great. Are you still using the same formation as the one you posted above with DMCR, MCL, AMC, AMCR, AML and STC? Can you highlight any interesting tweaks (instructions changes from your original tactic) that have helped increase the number of passes? Is it a tempo change, time wasting change, width, some individual instruction or combination of all or some?

I've started a new demo save with Barca too and I'm using a classic 4-3-3 with 3 MCs + STL/STR created in CLASSIC mode - I've abandoned the TC. I'm relatively happy with the results so far after playing 5 friendlies, 2 thrilling games vs Real M, one against Porto and the first La Liga game vs Villarreal. I get a lot of possession, and a high number of passes, particularly for my playmaker the MCR (Fabregas completed 71 out 81 passes vs Villarreal for example), but after seeing your latest screenshots, I am not getting nearly as many passes or as much possession as you.

However, it is interesting to see from your screens, that there is still left-hand side preference. I'm assuming that is because you use MCL as playmaker, correct? Is the GK set to distribute to the DCL or is he set to do so to DCR? In my games so far I don't see a left-hand preference. My playmaker is the MCR and the GK's distribution is set to the DCL.

I would love to find out your player and team instructions. Great job, btw.....again.

Yes I am using same formation... I will upload it as soon as I finish this third (half) season. Results are simply amazing, above my expectations

I've tried for several versions of FM to emulate tika taka football, but I've been unsuccessful in recreating the high volume of passes from my playmaker. Your tactics are the best I've seen, dominating possession, high completed passing %, CCC created and solid in defence. I'm intrigued by your take on the staggering of your midfielders eg. Xavi moving from MCR to MCL during the match, is this to avoid tight marking from AI? Iniesta in the AMC role instead of an MC, is this to create space and confusion in regards to tight marking?

1.With Messi playing as a trequartista and Iniesta playing as an AMC do they not occupy each others space on the pitch?

2.Are the goals scored distributed across the front 3, or does Messi score the lions share?

3.Do you focus passing through the middle? If so do you play wide or narrow?

Brilliant passing stats, the numbers are insane:applause:

new successful passes record

three players over 100 completed passes

racinglw.jpg

Yes I am using same formation... I will upload it as soon as I finish this third (half) season. Results are simply amazing, above my expectations

This is just insane....and very much like IRL Barca/Xavi/tiki taka!

For the life of me, I can't make it on my own and I so want to. It looks like I will have to capitulate and use an AMC. Are his instructions the same as if he was playing in the MC role? Do you still use GK distribute to a specific player?

I've noticed that if I focus passing through the middle, then my wide attackers do not see much of the ball and Messi becomes a beast, albeit a bit selfish. How are Villa and Sanchez involved in your tactic?

I'm thinking of trying the following:

GK - Valdes

DR - Alves

DCR - Pique

DCL - Puyol

DL - Abidal

DM - Busquets/Mascherano

MCR - Xavi/Fabregas (playmaker)

AMR - Pedro/Sanchez

AMCL - Iniesta/Thiago

STC - Messi

STL - Villa/Neymar

You use playmaker right? Is Xavi's name the only one on the list or do you have Fabregas/Iniesta also on the list? Does it make a difference if it is just one name or a few names on the playmaker's list?

Thanks

Best results so far...

possession average: 72,5%

highest possession: 83%

lowest possession:56% (real away, red card dani alves 39min)

playmaker average completed passes: 87 - included games when was subbed ( ten games with over 100 successful passes)

highest 159!

35 games

31 wins

4 draw

goals scored 2.74 per game (96)

conceded 0,25 per game (9)

FIXTURE LIST

fixturesh.jpg

fixtures2s.jpg

TACTIC <-- link

TACTIC <-- link

Basic formation

tacticshape.jpg

Team instructions

teatinstructions.jpg

Set pieces

setpieces.jpg

Match preparation

before season: workload very high, att movement

during season: average or low, defending set pieces

Also during game you can manual swap or change position of your players to confuse AI.

Bottom line is to keep team and player instruction (duties) same, and position you can change depends on AI tactic.

Most goal conceded from crosses (corners, free kicks, or side crosses)

players attributes

passing

decisions

off the ball

I've already working on third edition that will be suited even for smaller teams.

Try it, test it, tweak it, if you can make it even better I would appreciate it.

I've tried for several versions of FM to emulate tika taka football, but I've been unsuccessful in recreating the high volume of passes from my playmaker. Your tactics are the best I've seen, dominating possession, high completed passing %, CCC created and solid in defence. I'm intrigued by your take on the staggering of your midfielders eg. Xavi moving from MCR to MCL during the match, is this to avoid tight marking from AI? Iniesta in the AMC role instead of an MC, is this to create space and confusion in regards to tight marking?

1.With Messi playing as a trequartista and Iniesta playing as an AMC do they not occupy each others space on the pitch?

2.Are the goals scored distributed across the front 3, or does Messi score the lions share?

3.Do you focus passing through the middle? If so do you play wide or narrow?

Brilliant passing stats, the numbers are insane:applause:

1. messi has cut insade, so he is often more wide, and Iniesta in getting more to midfield to get the ball. I got to do that because of tight marking by AI on my playmaker

2. Messi scored 20, Sanchez 17, Villa 11

3.pass through middle, narrow

thx, try new version hope it will work for you to

This is just insane....and very much like IRL Barca/Xavi/tiki taka!

For the life of me, I can't make it on my own and I so want to. It looks like I will have to capitulate and use an AMC. Are his instructions the same as if he was playing in the MC role? Do you still use GK distribute to a specific player?

I've noticed that if I focus passing through the middle, then my wide attackers do not see much of the ball and Messi becomes a beast, albeit a bit selfish. How are Villa and Sanchez involved in your tactic?

I'm thinking of trying the following:

GK - Valdes

DR - Alves

DCR - Pique

DCL - Puyol

DL - Abidal

DM - Busquets/Mascherano

MCR - Xavi/Fabregas (playmaker)

AMR - Pedro/Sanchez

AMCL - Iniesta/Thiago

STC - Messi

STL - Villa/Neymar

You use playmaker right? Is Xavi's name the only one on the list or do you have Fabregas/Iniesta also on the list? Does it make a difference if it is just one name or a few names on the playmaker's list?

Thanks

GK distribution to pique. Yes amc like mc, Iniesta, or Fabregas because they like to get deep for ball, and that way move tight marking pressure of Xavi.

Try second edition, maybe it will help you to set up your team.

do you use any other tweaks during a game for that tactic you posted, other than swapping player's positions ? like tempo, time wasting, width, individual instructions ? and do you always keep Xavi there (MCL) in order to achieve those insane passing numbers with him ? is your playmaker always at MCL , or do you sometimes set a player at AMC ?

Thanks man, absolutely amazing tactic for Barca. Will see if it works so well when the full game comes out.

1. messi has cut insade, so he is often more wide, and Iniesta in getting more to midfield to get the ball. I got to do that because of tight marking by AI on my playmaker

2. Messi scored 20, Sanchez 17, Villa 11

3.pass through middle, narrow

thx, try new version hope it will work for you to

Is it possible to create your tactic using the TC?

First off, those are some impressive statistics. 159 passes, oh my :o I hope you upload the new version soon.

One question: Is there a reason Xavi is on the left and Masche/Busi on the right. I guess you know Xavi always plays on the right side for IRL-Barca, so is it more effective to play him on the left side?

do you use any other tweaks during a game for that tactic you posted, other than swapping player's positions ? like tempo, time wasting, width, individual instructions ? and do you always keep Xavi there (MCL) in order to achieve those insane passing numbers with him ? is your playmaker always at MCL , or do you sometimes set a player at AMC ?

Thanks man, absolutely amazing tactic for Barca. Will see if it works so well when the full game comes out.

no other tweaks during game, just swapping positions...

you can put xavi to mcr, and mascerano/busquest to dmcl. I dont put playmaker at AMC cuz he can get that much passes...only on MC

First off, those are some impressive statistics. 159 passes, oh my :o I hope you upload the new version soon.

One question: Is there a reason Xavi is on the left and Masche/Busi on the right. I guess you know Xavi always plays on the right side for IRL-Barca, so is it more effective to play him on the left side?

You will notice that during match he moves all over pitch... You can put him on mcr, then iniesta on AMCr, fabregas on amc, sanchez/messi/villa on amr, messi/villa on st, mascerano/bousquets/keita dmcl

Fantastic tactics. I always tried to combine a slow and narrow passing game with attacking football, wich is not really working out, at least not in FM. Definetly going to try and tweak this with Liverpool.

One little question, why are you using classic tactics? Particular reason for it in terms of performance?

Fantastic tactics. I always tried to combine a slow and narrow passing game with attacking football, wich is not really working out, at least not in FM. Definetly going to try and tweak this with Liverpool.

One little question, why are you using classic tactics? Particular reason for it in terms of performance?

I was doing a lot of testing in FM 11, and I was getting better results with classic tactic, so I imported that in FM 2012.

After full game release will try using TC.

Nice job, krunccrni! People will like your tactic even more if it works with other team and produces the same passing numbers, especially for the playmaker.

With my tactic, my stubbornness is perhaps starting to pay off. I'm back to using a 4-1-2-2-1 (GK - Back 4 - DM, MCR,MCL - AMR,AML,STC) formation, with the MRC being the playmaker. I made some small tweaks and I'v gotten closer to that magic 100 passes. Here are two examples:

barcavsolympiakospassin.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

otelulvsbarcapassingysi.jpg

I feel that with a few more games, my team will be more familiar with the tactic and I might get those 100 passes for my playmaker. Currently, the familiarity levels of the formation, width and tempo are around the middle of the bar, while everything else is at max.

I also like how nicely the passing patterns are illustrated and that my other players are almost equally involved in the passing. Possession for the team in both those games was around 68% with pass completion being around 89%. I even manage to make my playmaker score a few goals from open plays - Xavi scored 2-3 goals, while Fabregas scored 2 goals.

I'm happy, finally and hopefully it will get better.

I'm gonna try this tactic with napoli.

What are the important stats i should be looking at for each position?

You have already mentioned passing, decisions and off the ball but what else?

Determenation, anticipation?

Or didn't i look good in this thread?:p

Nice job, krunccrni! People will like your tactic even more if it works with other team and produces the same passing numbers, especially for the playmaker.

With my tactic, my stubbornness is perhaps starting to pay off. I'm back to using a 4-1-2-2-1 (GK - Back 4 - DM, MCR,MCL - AMR,AML,STC) formation, with the MRC being the playmaker. I made some small tweaks and I'v gotten closer to that magic 100 passes. Here are two examples:

barcavsolympiakospassin.jpg

otelulvsbarcapassingysi.jpg

I feel that with a few more games, my team will be more familiar with the tactic and I might get those 100 passes for my playmaker. Currently, the familiarity levels of the formation, width and tempo are around the middle of the bar, while everything else is at max.

I also like how nicely the passing patterns are illustrated and that my other players are almost equally involved in the passing. Possession for the team in both those games was around 68% with pass completion being around 89%. I even manage to make my playmaker score a few goals from open plays - Xavi scored 2-3 goals, while Fabregas scored 2 goals.

I'm happy, finally and hopefully it will get better.

Some very good results and passing stats Yonko, I've also noticed your players make more key passes in the game compared to krunccrni tactic. Maybe thats why your possession & pass completion % is lower.

Do you take more risks in regards to TTB? If its no trouble could you summarize your tactical approach.

If i could find a way to strike a balance between your approach & krunccrni's. the perfect Barcelona tika taka can be achieved. I'm also stubborn and try not to stray from the 4-3-3 formation but found krunccrni's passing stats irresistable, i would be interested to see how you make it work.

1. Do most players have 'hold up ball'?

2.Does your playmaker find space?

3.Classic or TC?

4. Wide or narrow?

sorry if I've asked too many questions.

Some very good results and passing stats Yonko, I've also noticed your players make more key passes in the game compared to krunccrni tactic. Maybe thats why your possession & pass completion % is lower.

Do you take more risks in regards to TTB? If its no trouble could you summarize your tactical approach.

If i could find a way to strike a balance between your approach & krunccrni's. the perfect Barcelona tika taka can be achieved. I'm also stubborn and try not to stray from the 4-3-3 formation but found krunccrni's passing stats irresistable, i would be interested to see how you make it work.

1. Do most players have 'hold up ball'?

2.Does your playmaker find space?

3.Classic or TC?

4. Wide or narrow?

sorry if I've asked too many questions.

Yes, I've noticed the same thing about the key passes. I have no idea what can be the cause of the difference - mentality, creative freedom, etc. TTB is on mixed/sometimes for my 2 MCs and STC, everyone else is on rarely. My players' mentality is within the Normal range - the fullbacks, MCR and STC are exactly in the middle of the slider (10), my DCs and DM are 3 clicks lower than that (7), the MCL and AMR/L are 3 clicks higher mentality (13). The Creative Freedom is matched with the Mentality pretty much for everyone, except my AMR/L are on the first click of High and my STC is almost at the highest click. If you pay attention to my screenshots you will see that my STC is the one with the most key passes. That is on purpose, because it is Messi and I do not have a problem with that.

Run with the Ball is mixed for the fullbacks, MCL, AMR/L and STC, while it is on rarely for the DCs, DM and MCR. No one crosses the ball and no Long Shots for anyone either. If I'm not mistaken that is the same with krunccrni's tactic. I have roaming only for the front three. Runs from Deep are on mixed for the fullbacks and MCs, rarely for the DCs, DM and STC, and often for the AMR/L. Hold up Ball is "yes" for everyone except the GK. Zonal Marking for everyone and tight marking for everyone except the STC and MCR.

My Tempo is the slowest and my Time Wasting slider is exactly in the middle. Focus passing through the middle, use playmaker (MCR) and counter-attack is ticked. The playmaker takes corners and free-kicks short, my STC (Messi) is set to be a short option. I just thought of the idea to set my MCR as a short option for the throw-ins on either side (in the two screenshots I posted I didn't use that though).

That is pretty much my tactical approach. You can ask me anything you want, I would be happy to answer. To answer some of you more specific question at the end of your post:

1. Yes, all players have Hold up Ball, except my GK

2. Yes, my playmaker finds space. I've tried giving him roaming instruction but that doesn't increase his passing numbers.

3. I now use Classic mode. I used to only use the TC and heavily modify it.

4. My tactic is very Narrow - 3-4 clicks from the left (narrowest)

I can also tell you that Olympiakos used a 4-2-3-1 formation against me, while Otelul used 5-3-2 with 3MCs.

The one thing I'm still not sure about is my Closing Down settings. Currently my front three has that on maximum/highest setting. The fullbacks, DM and MCL are 3 clicks less than that. My MCR is 5 clicks less than the maximum and my DCs are on the middle of the slider. My D-line is pushed up, 3-4 clicks away from the maximum.

I think that if I set my closing down on max for everyone except my DCs, then my passing and possession stats might be higher, because it might help me win the ball back more quickly and frequently.

Yes, I've noticed the same thing about the key passes. I have no idea what can be the cause of the difference - mentality, creative freedom, etc. TTB is on mixed/sometimes for my 2 MCs and STC, everyone else is on rarely. My players' mentality is within the Normal range - the fullbacks, MCR and STC are exactly in the middle of the slider (10), my DCs and DM are 3 clicks lower than that (7), the MCL and AMR/L are 3 clicks higher mentality (13). The Creative Freedom is matched with the Mentality pretty much for everyone, except my AMR/L are on the first click of High and my STC is almost at the highest click. If you pay attention to my screenshots you will see that my STC is the one with the most key passes. That is on purpose, because it is Messi and I do not have a problem with that.

Run with the Ball is mixed for the fullbacks, MCL, AMR/L and STC, while it is on rarely for the DCs, DM and MCR. No one crosses the ball and no Long Shots for anyone either. If I'm not mistaken that is the same with krunccrni's tactic. I have roaming only for the front three. Runs from Deep are on mixed for the fullbacks and MCs, rarely for the DCs, DM and STC, and often for the AMR/L. Hold up Ball is "yes" for everyone except the GK. Zonal Marking for everyone and tight marking for everyone except the STC and MCR.

My Tempo is the slowest and my Time Wasting slider is exactly in the middle. Focus passing through the middle, use playmaker (MCR) and counter-attack is ticked. The playmaker takes corners and free-kicks short, my STC (Messi) is set to be a short option. I just thought of the idea to set my MCR as a short option for the throw-ins on either side (in the two screenshots I posted I didn't use that though).

That is pretty much my tactical approach. You can ask me anything you want, I would be happy to answer. To answer some of you more specific question at the end of your post:

1. Yes, all players have Hold up Ball, except my GK

2. Yes, my playmaker finds space. I've tried giving him roaming instruction but that doesn't increase his passing numbers.

3. I now use Classic mode. I used to only use the TC and heavily modify it.

4. My tactic is very Narrow - 3-4 clicks from the left (narrowest)

I can also tell you that Olympiakos used a 4-2-3-1 formation against me, while Otelul used 5-3-2 with 3MCs.

The one thing I'm still not sure about is my Closing Down settings. Currently my front three has that on maximum/highest setting. The fullbacks, DM and MCL are 3 clicks less than that. My MCR is 5 clicks less than the maximum and my DCs are on the middle of the slider. My D-line is pushed up, 3-4 clicks away from the maximum.

I think that if I set my closing down on max for everyone except my DCs, then my passing and possession stats might be higher, because it might help me win the ball back more quickly and frequently.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I now feel i have a greater understanding due to krunccrni's & your tactics and will try my very own interpretation and post my results.

I've feel its far better to obtain the knowlegde and understanding so you can create your own tactics rather than copying and pasting, both you guys have been extremely helpful thanks.

Five games in to the season with Brighton, last four with the new tactic and record 4 wins and two draw and concede only two goal. Absolutely dominate matches but find scoring difficult sometimes... also main passers seem to be the full backs and the DCM.. anothe problems is that the changing position puts players into positions they are not good at but on the plus side confuses the AI and opens up spaces.

Archived