FM12 - Chelsea F.C. Thread - A Mix of Youth and Experience

William Hall

Ha ha ha Bracken. I did something very similar while drunk last night but splashed 45m on Goetze. I often retry after the first attempt but I am quite intrigued to see how he goes!

Thing is my entire plan for this save was about developing youngsters and being frugal, so that kinda screwed it up lol. Sober playing from now on I think! I'm doing some really extensive scouting right now to look for the right players, I'll let you know how my transfer dealings go when I'm done.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, so far I've concluded 2 transfers into the club:

Sime Vrsaljko £2.9m

Landon Donovan £7.5m

I wanted Vrsaljko as a long term replacement for Bran and Bos, and at that price you can't argue (also has 4 star PA according to Di Matteo!). Donovan might seem a stranger choice, but I'm looking for depth and he definitely provides it. I'll be primarily using him at AML, cutting in as an inside forward, but he also provides cover at AMC, AMR and ST (and MC if I'm really desperate). £7.5m might seem a bit much for a 29 year old, but he's proven quality, good with both feet, a good personality for the dressing room and a decent tutor, and he'll offer me a lot of cover. Also, now that I'm living in the USA, I felt I should have a least one Yank in the team :p

I'll let you guys know how these two got on.

Got my first crash! Found my 'tactical sweet spot', full on classic mode now with tactics. Now my tactics are solidified and will remain constant, regardless of what happens on the pitch; once newgens kick in, the quest to find the 'proper' right players can begin and once dominance of the country is established, the 'culture' of how English football is played will also be changed...well...it won't, which is why my league wins will continue without challenge. Still....better actually finish the first season to begin with eh?

In January right now, commanding good lead now, still undefeated. Man U slipping enough that City are now on level with them. Title is now mine to lose, basically.

Well, so far I've concluded 2 transfers into the club:

Sime Vrsaljko £2.9m

Landon Donovan £7.5m

I wanted Vrsaljko as a long term replacement for Bran and Bos, and at that price you can't argue (also has 4 star PA according to Di Matteo!). Donovan might seem a stranger choice, but I'm looking for depth and he definitely provides it. I'll be primarily using him at AML, cutting in as an inside forward, but he also provides cover at AMC, AMR and ST (and MC if I'm really desperate). £7.5m might seem a bit much for a 29 year old, but he's proven quality, good with both feet, a good personality for the dressing room and a decent tutor, and he'll offer me a lot of cover. Also, now that I'm living in the USA, I felt I should have a least one Yank in the team :p

I'll let you guys know how these two got on.

Sime will be great for you, guaranteed. He also has the utility to play as DM and MC if you need emergency cover. From the matches I've been managing him, he has a really up at them attitude, no fear. This really is your long-term RB.

Sime will be great for you, guaranteed. He also has the utility to play as DM and MC if you need emergency cover. From the matches I've been managing him, he has a really up at them attitude, no fear. This really is your long-term RB.

Sounds great, I look forward to seeing his progress. Just finished my first pre-season game with Landon, we won 6-0 over Fiorentina, he assisted 2, so not a bad start. Also, I love Danny Sturridge, he's got 4 goals in 4 pre-season games so far, plus 2 assists from the AMR slot as an inside-forward, he's going to be a great weapon this season.

Finally got some regens! Two promising strikers and a decent central defender was the ones that i picked up. The strikers are 4 stars and 3.5 while the defender is 2.5, but it looks like he could turn out to something great. Will upload a screen of the players later. I like the new youth system, feels more realistic.

Started off the season with a 3-0 victory over Wigan. Drogba's hurt for 2 months but Lukaku came in and scored a goal along with a Torres double.

Transfers -

In:

Marek Hamsik - $40M

Danny da Costa - $6.5M

Salvatore Bochetti - $36M

Yaya Sanogo - $5M

Lucas Digne - $3M

Cesar Azpillicueta - $18M

Emre Can - $3.5M

Out:

Paulo Ferreira - $2M Athetlco

Kalou - $9M Marseille

Alex - $26M Man City

Squad:

-------Torres / Drogba----- (Poacher / Target Man) Backups - Anelka, Lukaku, Sturridge

------------Mata---------- (Trequerista) Backups - Hamsik, Malouda

-------Hamsik / Lampard---- (ATK Advanced Playmaker, Box-Box Midfielder) Backups - Meireles, Ramires, McEachran

------------Mikel----------- (DEF Deep-Lying Playmaker) Backups - Can, Romeu

Cole / Terry / Bochette / Ivanovic (Auto. Wing back, Ball-Playing Stopper, Ball-Playing Cover, Auto. Wing back) Backups - Luiz, Bosingwa, Azpillicueta

------------Cech----------

I want to use Azpillicueta at right back but he's been abysmal lately, hasn't fit into the squad very well. He looks like he could be really good so I'll give him ample time to prove himself.

In two years I expect my lineup to look like this:

Starting 11 - Torres, Lukaku, Mata, Hamsik, Essien, Mikel, Cole, Terry, Bochetta, Azpillicueta

Subs - Sturridge, Julian Draxer (have him on my radar, really want him), Ramires, Can, Luiz, Ivanovic, Courtois or Delac.

My bench is fairly weak at the fullback position, with Luiz and Ivanovic being both fullbacks and centrebacks, hopefully I can find a good left-back so I don't have to use Cole into his mid 30's.

I also want to sign a lot more youth, since that's my favorite part of the game (building the youth squad and not having to purchase players for the first time). My policy is the younger the better.

So I started my Chelsea save and the transfer window just got closed.

transferss.jpg

I had listed Kalou as well but realised how short I was in AMR position :p I am using 451 tactic with 1dm, 2mc, 2wingers.

Just went and bought those who were RELATIVELY cheap and with 3.5* pot by my two 20ja/20jp scouts.

Just jumped into my first season with Chelsea and I am sitting on September 1st. Brought in two new players for an immediate impact; Badelj (MC) and Vrsaljko (DR) as well as a promising Lenny Nangis (AMR / ST). Sold a few like Anelka, Kalou, Malouda and Hilario and sent a fair few out on loan.

My pre-season went ok, won all my games bar one where I got thumped by America (MEX)... My start to the EPL has been disappointing. Opened against Bolton, got to 3-0 up before conceding two late goals. 1-0 against AV with a last minute winner and got trounced by Arsenal 4-0 after so SHOCKING defending... I conceded three set-piece goals, unheard of!!

I'm playing 3 different formations, all with no width but using wing backs. It served me well in FM11, and seeing as I had a budget of £14m and not really any decent wingers imo, I thought I'd stick with my trusted formations. If you're interested I can provide some screenies.

Left to Right: Squad, Fixtures / Results, Transfers

chelseasquadplayers.th.png chelseafixturesfixtures.th.png chelseatransfershistory.th.png

Also, does anyone have any tips for the updated team talks? I'm really struggling with it. :\

Mate, you should be soooo proud of how the boys played today. We fought so well, albeit against 12 men! We were much the better team in the second half. Chin up lads. At least we are not united who lost 6-1 at HOME hehehe. UP THE CHELS!!!!

I'm not saying we played badly, they did brilliantly and deserved a lot more. The point I was trying to get across was that the game was so frustrating (referee decisions) that I needed to have a break. Reading back I didn't write it well probably because I was so frustrated haha. However I am now loading up my save :D

Well, I've finally got my season off and running now. The only signings were Landon Donovan and Vrsaljko for the first team, also brought in Oliver Markoutz from Bayern for the youth team.

Pre-season went very well, we won every game, here's the results:

Chelsea 3 - 0 Chelsea Reserves

Hearts 0 - 3 Chelsea

Chelsea 5 - 1 Empoli

Chelsea 6 - 0 Fiorentina

Chelsea 3 - 1 Sao Paulo

Glentoran 0 - 3 Chelsea

Palermo 0 - 3 Chelsea

Stand out players were Sturridge, Torres and Meireles, who filled in due to a minor injury to Mata. No injury problems going into the season, only Essien obviously, and the suspension to Sturridge, which mean I moved Donovan to AMR and had Anelka cutting in from the left. Well, here's the first result:

screenshot20111023at154.png

Fantastic first result, I couldn't have asked for better. We were completely dominant in the first half but couldn't get the breakthrough, then as soon as Nando got us on our way, we never looked back. Luiz scored a cracking volley from a set piece, Donovan's was a nice calm composed finish, and Frank smashed in a 30 yard screamer to round it off. Luiz was MoM, and it's great way to start the season!

For revenge: Trashed QPR in League Cup qtr final 7-0 over two legs.

Beat them 2-1 at Loftus

Beat them 6-0 at the Bridge. Lampard hat-trick.

Anyway, quick update:

2-1 down vs Inter in 2nd round CL. 2nd leg is at home. Must take advantage of away goal.

Won the first cup. League Cup, 3-1 vs Arsenal. Two winning goals in extra time.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986895643959/D940242348BD4B4DBE8BA3721B3007672B06759A/

Current league state: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986895643334/945D89112F35F3915F176FB8C2B19E5F25C02556/

Oh yeah: Club Finances: Negative £20m

Need new stadium but not wanting it until I'm a legend so they name it after me. :D

Will post a detailed review of my season soon.

Just to note that I've had to move Sturridge from his usual Inside Forward AMR to Poacher ST due to injuries to Torres, Sow and Lukaku. So far he's been absolutely exceptional, scoring 6 goals in 4 games.

Also sold Drog for 16M in January to PSG and brought in Llorente for 28.5M who links better with Torres and Mata.

can't wait to get playing properly on this. Had a bash with it over the weekend but wasn't really playing it properly. Will start again tonight for an hour or so and get things cracking. One question though - why are the coaches soooo bad for us? Any coaches to look out for as I feel that's the first thing that needs doing!

I'm midway through pre season and am not sure what to do. Playing the usual 4-5-1 formation and currently have Kalou and Sturridge as RW options (sold Anelka). Will that be enough going into the season?

I don't like to tamper too much with the squad in the first season, instead choosing to use the majority of my transfer budget on new staff and youth team players.

At the moment the only changes I have made to the first team are selling Anelka to Real Madrid for £7.5m + 50% sell on and Ferreira to At Madrid for £1m + 50% sell on, and bringing in Mammadou Diarra on a free transfer as backup to Mikel. He is only on a one year contract and is basically cover for this season with Essien out long term. It also gives me the option to loan out Romeu or Clifford if I want.

So should I stick with what I have or bring someone in. And if so who? I don't want to make a superstar signing, like Hulk, it would have to be someone younger and cheaper. I set up a deal to sign De Bruyne for £1m but as expected he failed the medical. I might stick with what I have until January and then sign De Bruyne when he is fully fit.

Here so here is the final day bonanza:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986903463857/2DA1F61B47F1DE102AED079E69DBB7DD8751E1FD/

Guess who my final game is with....that's right; MANCHESTER UNITED! At Stamford Bridge though...win the title at home!

Won FA Cup and League Cup...

Barcelona in the CL Final...

Could a quad happen? Maybe...Barcelona did totally destroy their opponents to the final so we'll see. As always I'll be uploading the FULL match of the final which can be viewed in match-viewer.

Great results Bracken and J.T!

Finished my first season winning the Premiership and the League Cup, lost to Liverpool in the semis of the FA Cup and Manchester United in the quarter finals of the Champions League.

Alot of big names have left the Bridge this summer, Anelka, Drogba, Bosingwa, Kaou, Ferriera and Hilario have all left on frees while Benayoun was sold for 3m. Sime Vrsaljko 3m, Angel Di Maria 10m and Frank Brouwer 1.5m (regen) have so far been brought in. Courtois, Kakuta and Kalas have been promoted to the first team.

Okay, here is the Champion's League final: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.calay/CL_Final_2012.pkm

Could I achieve the quad in my debut season? Only need to get past Barcelona, the strongest team in the game. I recommend watching the whole match, in my opinion it was a real tense affair and fitting to be a cup final match. The action between the goals was just as important as the goals themselves.

Of course, if you just care about the goals here is the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-flA9m7_RI

Ooooh a chance to manage the Olympic team?

On season reflection: Was good to keep as many players as possible. Even Kalou ended up useful. Can only imagine how much better I'd have been for depth had Anelka and Ferreira(my only exits) stayed too. Torres was disappointing for me this season but Drogba stepped it him.

End of season squad: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986905170441/7A1A160650AF7C6DD6E967B4F4BE6A19D4032871/

The transfers I made for the first year: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986905188080/3F2392B1FFB370E66003BFA797C4E9BF65A8A7AF/

Fantastic first season Ranbir, I look forward to seeing how you're going to top it! A good start there as well ballin, something to build on for nest year.

Here's a little update on my game, just at the end of September, we started off with the great win over Arsenal I posted above, and here's how we've carried on:

Premier League

Norwich 1 - 4 Chelsea

Torres 40'

John Terry 57', 69'

Crofts 72'

Lukaku 82'

JT was imperious in the air, and Lukaku grabbed a goal on his debut off the bench. A shame we conceded, it was a deflection, but still disappointing, something we've continued that I want to stamp out.

Everton 1 - 3 Chelsea

Mata 9'

Osman 11'

Donovan 18'

Torres 33'

A good display although Everton made it very difficult, could've been a draw had they taken their chances

Chelsea 5 - 1 Bolton

Torres 6', 44', 47'

Ramires sent off 10'

Sturridge 16'

Wheater 19'

Drogba 73'

A fantastic win when we down to 10 for 80 mins of the game, Sturridge was incredible, laying on 3 goals and scoring 1, while Nando has hit a groove and I've got him scoring like he was on FM11 for me. He's no Michael Wilson, but he's not bad :D

Champions League

Dortmund 2 - 3 Chelsea

Torres 7', 12'

Kagawa 18'

Alex 48'

Kehl sent off 57'

Subotic 72'

A really tough game, Dortmund kept coming back at us but we just about held out for the win.

Premier League

Man City 2 - 4 Chelsea

John Terry 7', 12'

Dzeko 14'

Donovan 33', 74'

Toure 46'

Another great away win, Donovan proving to be a great signing so far, and JT just fantastic from set pieces. It's not a corner cheat either, one was from a free kick and the other was a rebound from a corner, so he's just doing great.

League Cup

West Ham 0 - 1 Chelsea

Malouda 72'

I played the youngsters and it was a bit of a struggle, they're still taking their time to gel, but it'll come. We got the win and that's what matters. Lukaku got injured for a month though :(

Premier League

Chelsea 6 - 0 Newcastle

Donovan 7'

Torres 10', 22', pen 38', 56'

Lampard 14'

And that's the game where it all came together. Torres was incredible, Mata got 4 assists, Donovan a constant threat with his running, and Frank put in an absolute screamer. A fantastic way to end off my round up, we had 68% of possession which is phenomenal.

Conclusions

Overall, very pleased with how the team is shaping up. They play some great fluid football, with the movement between the front 3 of Donovan, Torres and Sturridge really exceptional. Mata plays just like he does IRL, picking holes in between defence and midfield to find exceptional through balls, he's got 11 assists so far this season. Torres is playing like he did for me last time, when the ball's in the box, he puts it in the net. Donovan has played better than I could've possibly hoped, if anyone's looking for cover at AMR/C/L/ST, I'd definitely recommend him.

My only concern has been we've been leaking a few too many goals, so I'll try and tighten that up, but it really is difficult to tighten up the defence but still give Luiz the freedom to roam forward, which he's done very well so far. Come on the Chels!

Thanks Brack. Certainly the best first season I've had in recent FMs. Last year I only got the league. I'm just glad I could utilise my classic mode tactics early on.

Extended Drogba's contract, he was willing to take a pay-cut plus he got the most goals for me. Gotze is just too expensive. I've given up.

Bosingwa, Hilario and Kalou will likely leave on free. Signed a bunch of newgen youngsters. Will post the ones that look to turn out the real deal.

I signed Romario from RM. I don't think I'll sign anyone else. The team is showing strong unity and some of the younger players I bought and already had in first-season should get some more play time.

Looking forward to get Kakuta some more games. Betrand is likely to stay as Cole's second, he hasn't blundered.

Hello everyone, a quick update as I'm in the middle of an international break in November!

I've had an indifferent start really. I'm sitting 3rd in the league, 4 points behind Arsenal (unbeaten) and Utd after 11 games. Dropped some silly points such as a draw at home to Sunderland and defeat away at Wolves. Sitting 2nd in my GL group of Valencia, Rangers and Napoli after losing 3-2 away to Rangers. Out of the Carling Cup but not really concerned about that. I just can't seem to get a run going and no-one is really performing well. Think I'm gonna bin my no winger formation next season. Got a horrible next 6 games coming up, that will make or break my season:

West Brom (H)

Napolia (A)

Spurs (A)

Man Utd (H)

Valencia (H)

Liverpool (A)

Ahaha. Beat Spain to win Olympic gold.

Lampard just trashed all the kids. Top goalscorer. I can just imagine tv pundits raising the issue that some circles would criticise including an oldie and then a pundit will be like, "well all the teams have the opportunity to pick three experienced players....and Ranbir has just picked better than others".

Every single game, using Lampard was like sending a man to compete with 5 year olds. MoM in pretty every much but the semi, where he rested.

Scored both goals in the 2-1 victory over Spain. Extended his contract until 2017. Same wage band though, so the deal is worth £37 million. Worth it.

Just got the season up and running and will post an update at the end of the transfer window, but I've played two games so far - Swansea at home and Wolves away. I've absolutely dominated both games, in terms of possession and shots on goal but my finishing has been woeful. My 'on target' ratio has been about 30% in both games and I've won both 1-0 with late goals scored by A Cole and Kalou!!!

Anyone else had similar problems? I'm playing the standard 4-5-1 formation, although changed to 4-2-3-1 to beat Wolves.

Started my new game last night and started with a major overhaul of the coaching, physio and scouting staff. Thinking I got rid of pretty much everyone. Cannot believe how poor the Chelsea coaches are. Is there any reason as to why they are rated so bad? Tonight I'm going to look at a few players especially a RB and a RM/W.

essien I've been thinking about the settings new-style does to players in comparison to what I give them in classic.

I think balanced or 'rigid' is a better option than 'fluid' as well as less expressive, rather than more. I didn't do this whenever I used wizard but looking at my tactics, where -everyone- has a team attacking mentality, the only players with creative freedom are my midfielders.

I also feel it is more appropriate for the lone striker and the AMR/AML players to have 'normal' wide-play. I don't know why but their inside runs seem to -look- far more intelligent; at-least from what I see when watching the matches.

Anyway, my point is I've always found it difficult to use the wizard because it never feels as consistent as the classic made tacs.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.calay/RanbirFM12_Classic.tac

Feel free to take a look, would like some feed-back.

The downsides are, of course, can't use touch line instructions but then my philosophy is; we've got a style of play, keep the faith and our talent will see us through. If there is ever a change I make it is pushing mentality further up if I get desperate for a goal. I'm very stubborn like that and yeah, can sometimes lose horribly.

Even though I set short passing, they still make long passes etc...but the moments they decide to not follow the short passing instruction it is thanks to a player's intelligence rather than doing it so often because that's what he's supposed to do.

Oh and update for start of season 2: Lost to Utd in Charity Shield 1-3. Naks!

~bucket

Yeah bucket, I get a whole new coaching staff. I'm holding on to Di Matteo for now cause I loved him when he played but I've already nnabbed Brian McClair who I will promote to AssMan eventually.

Ended up doing one last big buy, Sakho for £12.5m (plus incentives of some sort). It was an impulse buy of sorts...all of a sudden I want to sell Luiz...I just...can't...like him.

Transfers in:

Saul - £1.4m

Luke Shaw - £1.2m

Daniele Rugani - £1.3m

Kiko Femenia - loan

Alan Dzagoev - £7.75m

Khoumar Babacar - loan

Outs:

Connor Clifford - loan

Billy Clifford - loan

Rhys Taylor - loan

Ben Gordon - loan

Jamal Blackman - loan

Milan Lalkovic - loan

Looks good Bucket, let us know how you get on, but that's a great start. Here are my results since my last update, we've had a few off days:

Champions League

Chelsea 2 - 0 Olympiakos

Drogba 22'

Alex 41'

Rested a fair few here and we were very comfortable, 62% possession, should've scored more

Premier League

Aston Villa 3 - 2 Chelsea

Donovan 31'

Sturridge 45+1'

Bent pen 34', 74'

Heskey 83'

Heskey scored against us. There are no words to describe my shame. I'm not happy with my defence right now, definitely need to sort it out, we've been conceding far too many and in this game our finishing let us down too. Not a good day

Chelsea 4 - 0 Swansea

Lampard 45', pen 48'

Mata 54'

Torres 81'

Normal service resumes

Champions League

Chelsea 2 - 0 CSKA Moscow

John Terry 6'

Torres 87'

Decent home win, our finishing just isn't up to scratch, 32 shots and only 2 goals.

Premier League

Chelsea 4 - 0 Wigan

Lampard pen 19'

Torres 31'

Ramires 51'

Sturridge 83'

Good result, again over 60% possession, we keep the ball really well

League Cup 4th Round

Chelsea 6 - 0 Bolton

McEachran 6'

Jaaskelainen OG 16'

Anelka 19'

Drogba 21', 30'

Ivanovic 63'

A great win, Josh was incredible in the middle of the park alongside Romeu, they really bossed it for us

Premier League

Wolves 2 - 4 Chelsea

Guedioura 33'

David Luiz 43'

Lampard 55'

Milijas 59'

John Terry 64'

Ramires 79'

Again, too many goals conceded, they only had 2 shots on target but that's 2 too many for me

Tottenham 3 - 3 Chelsea

Van der Vaart 17', 43', 71'

Mata 23', 48'

Lampard 56'

Battle of the AM's here, we just couldn't handle VdV, all his goals were long range screamers, nothign i could do about that, but luckily, we have Mata who scored 2 and set the other up. I love him.

Conclusions

A mixed month, not happy with the loss to Villa, the draw with Spurs and just the number of goals I've conceded. We're top of the league by 4 points and through in the CL, but still room for improvement. Mata had an outstanding month, creating goals all over the place, sadly Nando's goals aren't flowing like they were in the first few games, but I'm sure they'll come back.

Right, I need your advice guys. If money were no object, who would you want at AML as an inside forward? I want a right-footed player, with good movement and preferably able to finish. The 4 I'm looking at are:

Gotze - Poor finishing but incredible movement and passing, he has potential to improve the finishing too, but I worry about his PPM 'looks for pass rather than shot'

Hazard - A great player, a natural AMC but could easily play here. Again, not the best finishing, but could fit in from day one.

Neymar - The most expensive of them, but this one can finish

Munian - Less expensive but also less developed, certainly has potential (they all have 4 stars according to my scouts), but is he ready now? Has anyone seen how he develops?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sorry for the double post, just another quick update.

I was given an expanded Transfer budget (having spent almost nothing in the first window) boosting it to £28m, so I went out and splashed £20m on Muniain (all over 48 months), and £8m on Kovacic (most over 48 months), so I'll let you guys know how they develop.

Essiens stats have been dropping fast on my game (he is still injured), those who've gone past 1 season, does he ever get back to his best?

Will grab Muniesa on free contract start of 2nd season window. Decent start to my season, Torres is on fire!

Hmmm Should I get Aguero? I only have Torres up front with Lukaku as backup. He can be bought for around his value... I have no idea why City would do that though...

Haven't started a game of FM yet. Currently waiting for the first weegie update and a few other things before I start a Chelsea save. Just not quite feeling one at the moment and I know if I start I might get bored and I don't want that. At some point one will definitelyhappen and I will be back in here like last year. Hopefully it doesn't go as badly and I have more positive things to say :D

Essiens stats have been dropping fast on my game (he is still injured), those who've gone past 1 season, does he ever get back to his best?

On my game he never recovered, got reports every few weeks from the ass man of a 'total collapse' as a player. Shifted him off to Roma for £4.2M where he has continued to decline and is now sitting in their reserves after only managing 3 league games and its nearly Christmas.

Archived