FM12 - Chelsea F.C. Thread - A Mix of Youth and Experience

William Hall

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the best way to play mata coz he is playing so craap at the moment for my team?

I've just finished first season and played him as an Advanced Playmaker Attack on the left wing in a 4-3-3. In all comps he played 48 games, scored 10 goals, 22 assists, 10 MOTM, 7.53 Ave Rating.

Grr. Lost to Man City; meaning we're now tied on points as we enter January.

Malouda got all upset with me for not playing, demanded to leave, so I've just sold him to Liverpool for £6m.

Le Sulk is back, despite playing 14 league games by Christmas he 'wants first team football'. I can't sell him either, so he's warming the bench for the rest of the season.

Drogba isn't keen on re-signing, he wants a payrise. I've been unable to extend Kalou, or sell him, so he'll also be leaving on a free. And I've had to keep rejecting City's offers on Alex as they want him now and I'm not prepared to let him go til the summer, especially with Luiz down for 6 weeks.

With so many departures looming in the summer I'm going to have to plan my squad for next season.

So all in all, January has been a sucky month; the only positive is a pre-arranged deal for a young Croatian right-back in the July....

I do play him as a poacher and still I dnt get nothing like you guys do. I sit the way you supply him the balls or the tempo or what?

I play a balanced and attacking 4-3-3 (except standard against the likes of United, City, etc). I have set Torres' individual sliders so that he has the highest attacking mentality and high creative freedom. I find he gets the ball a lot and runs at centre backs if and when he does receive the ball deeper. I haven't had the same results some people on here have had, but he managed 29 goals in 41 starts (+ 7 sub) for me which I'm very happy with.

Right I've just finished my first season which has been an absolute roller coaster. Having previously posted my position at the end of January, where I was still involved in all the cups and just ahead of United in the league, this is the update from Feb to the end of the season:

Premier League

Newcastle (a) W 5-0 (Torres 2, Lampard, David Luiz, Sturridge)

Aston Villa (h) W 4-0 (Sturridge 2, Meireles 2)

Bolton (h) W 3-0 (David Luiz, Sturridge, Torres)

Man Utd (a) L 1-3 (Torres)

Liverpool (a) L 1-2 (Lukaku)

QPR (h) D 0-0

Arsenal (h) D 0-0

Norwich (a) W 2-1 (Ramires, Lukaku)

Wolves (h) D 3-3 (De Vries OG, Sturridge 2)

Swansea (a) D 0-0

Sunderland (h) W 2-0 (Ivanovic, Kalou)

West Brom (a) W 1-0 (Kalou)

Man City (h) W 1-0 (Mata)

Wigan (a) W 1-0 (Terry)

Everton (h) W 3-0 (Mata, Torres 2)

Champs League

Porto (h) W 3-0 (Terry, Lampard, Torres)

Porto (a) L 0-1

Man Utd (a) L 0-1

Man Utd (h) W 2-1 (Torres, Alex) - Lost on away goals

Carling Cup

Final: Newcastle W 1-0 (Coloccini OG)

FA Cup

5th Rnd: Bolton (h) W 2-0 (Torres 2)

Qtr Final: Man City (h) W 3-1 (Torres, Hart OG, Alex)

Semi Final: Liverpool W 2-1 (Henderson OG, Mata)

Final: Man Utd W 2-1 (Kalou, Lampard)

I finished second in the league with what I considered an impressive haul of 91 points - Man Utd managed 95 points. Ultimately disappointed, particularly after back to back defeats against Man Utd and Liverpool I went on soon after to draw games against Wolves, Swansea and QPR which certainly proved costly. However, it's certainly something to build on next season.

The two domestic cups is a start and good to prevent United winning the FA Cup. After they luckily beat me with a late goal in the Champs League to win on away goals after battering them at the Bridge, it was fitting to win the FA Cup with Lampard scoring what was a controversial penalty :)

Now into the summer, I've been appointed Great Britain manager for the Olympics for a bit of light relief and nice addition to my CV!

The club have also sanctioned 16,000 additional seats for Stamford Bridge to be completed in October. I don't know where that came from, but will be an added bonus so early in trying to help the club stop operating at a loss every month.

I've signed up about 8 regens for my youth team at a combined cost of about £4-5m, all with high PA's, and a couple likely to be blooded next season. Kovacic has also now joined having agreed a £1.5m transfer last summer for him, I have high hopes of him breaking through sooner rather than later.

With a transfer budget of just under £50m to operate with and the likelihood of adding to that with selling a couple of players, this summer will involve big decisions on who to sign to try and displace Man Utd from their perch. Over this summer and next definite signings are a long term left back for Ashley Cole, a right back, a long term central midfielder for Lampard and a striker - backup to Torres but not to leave the burden on Lukaku. Any suggestions people?

First game in FM12, starting with Chelsea as usual.

Wanted to make a tactic which is based on a 433... usually came up with a 41221 tactic, but i decided to put the DMC into the MC position, to play a bit more attacking.

So now i got 4 at the back, 3 MC's, AML/AMR and 1 striker up front. Wingers are not cutting inside, like most of you here have, because i never seem to get them play the right way ;p

The middle MC is the one that will make the runs to the AMC position, trying to get between the opponent's midfield and defence to provide the 3 players up front with through passes.

For now it is working pretty good. Defence is solid, midfield standing good, but not really happy on how the attacking players (especially the wingers) are doing eventough they are scoring a lot. I think i can get even more out of them.

Transfers in:

Iker Muniain

Douglas Costa

Sven Bender

Willian

Kwadwo Asamoah

Sime Vrsaljko

Transfers out:

Anelka - PSG

Alex - ManCity

Mikel - PSG

Hilario - Inter

Ferreira - Werder

i really recommend you guys to get Sven Bender, perfect to play in a holding position. He's nog quite strong, but is really calm when he has the ball and plays simple passes to my more creative midfielders. Has one of the higher pass completion ratios in the league so far. Costed only €9m.

Results:

Chelsea - Blackburn / really good match to start the league :)

6-0

Willian, David Luiz, Mata (3), Torres

Fulham - Chelsea / had enough chances to win here, Torres missed a lot..

1-1

Lampard

Tottenham - Chelsea / Crazy game, Torres made up for his mistakes against Fulham

2-5

Torres (3), Terry, Muniain

Chelsea - Newcastle / good game, Torres on a hattrick again

5-0

Torres (3), Cole, Lampard

CL: Chelsea - Rangers / not really a problem

4-0

Mata, Torres (2), Sturridge

ManUtd - Chelsea / complete off-day :s played really bad in the first half, 2nd was better but couldnt get a draw

2-1

Malouda

3rd place right now, but we're only at the start of the season, Arsenal only 2 points in front..

Hopefully i can get the wingers to get a bit more involved, would be great for Torres aswell.

And after a whole season of unsettling him (from which I've become a favoured personnel from my praising), I've managed to bag Gary Cahill on a bosman after he didn't sign a new contract with Bolton. Good, solid and homegrown player, very pleased with that bit of business (particularly as Bolton were quoting upwards of £15m at the beginning)

He has also taken a wage hit, accepting a deal of £32k pw and £12k appearance bonus compared to £46k pw at Bolton. His £2m loyalty bonus and £800k agents fees are also a small price to pay considering I've got him on a free.

It means I'm likely going to sell a defender to make room for him. The obvious one is Alex but he was excellent when he played last season. I may instead look to sign a right back with Cahill and sell both Ivanovic and Bosingwa who were decent but neither shone in the first season.

23hsxly.jpg

Runners up the previous 2 years an this year we dont even qualify...shocking! Its not even a tough group!

I would deffo go ahead with that deal Koolaz.

tough luck but don't Malaga have lots of money surely they have a good team but OM should have been easy enough unlucky

Can anyone recommend me a trequartista?

I’m going to be playing a 4-1-2-1-2 and I’m just starting my first season. I’m looking for an excellent TQ under 25 and I have about 32m ish to spend. So I could get Ganso but I’m a little worried by his injuryproneness and his lack of pace. I know Mata will be fine there but I’m looking to strengthen that area.

What d’ya think?

I’m going to be playing a 4-1-2-1-2 and I’m just starting my first season. I’m looking for an excellent TQ under 25 and I have about 32m ish to spend. So I could get Ganso but I’m a little worried by his injuryproneness and his lack of pace. I know Mata will be fine there but I’m looking to strengthen that area.

What d’ya think?

Eden Hazard :) a man for the future and for now

What d’ya think?

I would buy Kovacic for starters. He won't come to the club until the second summer due to his age but at the beginning you should be able to snap him up for about £1.5m and he looks like a serious prospect!

Kevin De Bruyne should also be available for about £1.5 - 2m at the beginning, but you will have to wait until towards the end of the transfer window to buy him because he is injured at the start and will fail a medical - at the end of the window he should be back in light training and will pass one then.

I wouldn't spend so much money on a backup TQ to Mata because Mata is so good. You're better off using that money to strengthen areas you really need to strengthen like a strike partner for Torres, a right back and long term replacement for Lampard.

Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll stick with Ganso and he and Mata can rotate. I have Doumbia to play with Torres, with Lukaku, Sturridge & Leandro backing up. I have M’Vila to rotate with Mikel. At the beginning of next season I will hope to have young right & left backs and at some point I plan to bring in Neymar to play with Torres and his buddy Ganso. And I plan to bring in Javi Martinez as a long term replacement for Franky. Also I will get a young central defender when I can and offload Alex. Maybe Sakho.

Going into the first season the 22 is looking like this:

G Cech/Hilario

DR Bosingwa/Ferreira

DL Cole/Bertrand

DC Terry/Alex

DC Luiz/Ivanovic

DM M’Vila/Mikel

MC Ramires/McEachran

MC Lampard/Meireles

AM Ganso/Mata

FC Doumbia/Sturridge

FC Torres/Lukaku

Sold: Drogba, Malouda, Anelka & Kalou

This is my own 4-1-2-1-2. Preseason has gone well. I will report back!

Should i buy di maria from real madrid for £16m at start of the second season. I'm looking for someone to ease the creative burden from mata and di maria can operate as either a left winger or inside right forward?!

Definately go for it, he's an excellent player and 16m is a steal :thup:

Man, remind me not to depend on African players. That damn cup of nations contributed to a horrible run of 4 defeats and 1 draw in 5 games, and my exit from the FA Cup at Old Trafford.

Torres (top scorer) went down with an 8 week injury just before the tournament, Alex broke his foot and will be out until May, Ivanovic is also out for 2 months, as is Mereiles. In normal circumstances this would be fine but with Essien, Mikel, Drogba and Kalou all representing their country, that has meant one of Romeu, Kakuta or McEachren has to start every game, and I've not actually got a bench. Matters got worse in the defeat at OT, with Terry picking up an injury, meaning Romeu had to start 3 games at Centreback! Add in the cumulative fatigue of a clustered schedule and by the end of the ACN my squad were starting games at 75% fitness.

On the positive, Lukaku started a handful of games and scored a few goals. The experience for the young guys should be good in the long run.

But roll on summer, I've really gotta splash the cash.

I see that a lot of people have used a 4-2-3-1 formation with two wide players and a playmaker.

I'm thinking of trying this system out in my second season, but what roles do people use the following:

(a) the wide players?

(b) the playmaker?

© the two central midfielders?

All of my wide players are at the very least accomplished on both wings, so I wouldn't have a problem using wingers, inside forwards or a combination of both. Mata is likely to be my central playmaker and I will probably try to develop Kovacic as his backup.

In regards to my two central midfielders, my view was to use two combative 'ball winning' midfielders in games against strong opposition (e.g. Essien and Ramires) and possibly a ball winning midfielder and more attack minded midfielder (central midfielder support or attack, e.g. Lampard or Meireles) against weaker opposition. However just wanted other peoples views, I don't want to end up going gung ho.

Add in the cumulative fatigue of a clustered schedule and by the end of the ACN my squad were starting games at 75% fitness.

I suffered the same problem in my first season mate. I lost against United, got Ashley Cole and Torres sent off, on top of injuries and ACN players, I ended up picking up one win from seven games. Definately the key point of the season considering I still managed to accumulate 91 points and lost the league to United by 4 points!

You would like to think you can get away with it for a few games if the rest of the squad are fit. Romeu, McEachran, Kakuta and Lukaku should fill in for the African boys, but I had the same problem as you did - injuries and lack of fitness!

I see that a lot of people have used a 4-2-3-1 formation with two wide players and a playmaker.

I'm thinking of trying this system out in my second season, but what roles do people use the following:

(a) the wide players?

(b) the playmaker?

© the two central midfielders?

All of my wide players are at the very least accomplished on both wings, so I wouldn't have a problem using wingers, inside forwards or a combination of both. Mata is likely to be my central playmaker and I will probably try to develop Kovacic as his backup.

In regards to my two central midfielders, my view was to use two combative 'ball winning' midfielders in games against strong opposition (e.g. Essien and Ramires) and possibly a ball winning midfielder and more attack minded midfielder (central midfielder support or attack, e.g. Lampard or Meireles) against weaker opposition. However just wanted other peoples views, I don't want to end up going gung ho.

I go with Inside Forwards (attack) as the wingers, then I've got Mata as a slightly adapted Trequartista, with Lamps as a Deep Lying Playmaker (support) and Asamoah as a ball-winning midfielder with defend duty. Works brilliantly for me, though it means playing Torres as an Advanced Forward rather than a Poacher, I've found it still works well and he plays brilliantly.

Just finished my first season now going in to my second

Won the League Cup beating Bolton 3-1

Won Fa Cup beating Aston Villa 6-2

Finished 2nd in the League,Gutted was leading the league most of season until last game when i was home to Tottenham who were second behind me by a point, They beat me 2-0 at the bridge with Modric scoring both.......GUTTED!!!

My current squad is

Cech/Courtois

Cole/Bertrand

Hummels/Alex

Terry/Luiz

Essien/Mikel

Ramires/McEachran

Mata/James Rodriguez

Di Maria/Armautovic

Torres/Sturridge

Cavani/Lukaku

Season update so far 11/12

Summer Transfers

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3373/ctransfers.jpg

So far in the league

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1463/leagueld.jpg

Cavani has been unreal so far although only five games in and one in europe and another in ccup he has played all 7 and scored 13 goals with 7 assists

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7717/cvni.jpg

Gotta Love this !

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1418/fixtureutd.jpg

I'm officially suffering from the first season hang-over FM style. Played brilliantly the first season, have the team I want and the formation hasn't changed (I went back to my 4-5-1) but I just can't find the enthusiasm to play the save. McEachran, Kakuta, Lukaku, Romeu, etc. have all come along in spades due to first team activity and all look promising but I just load the save up, look at the team forward it a day or two and end up quitting it again and playing my Journeyman save where I'm currently managing Farnborough in League One.

I also have a really big urge to start up a Barcelona save just for the youth players they have and the development aspect of the game! :p

Just finished my first season now going in to my second

Won the League Cup beating Bolton 3-1

Won Fa Cup beating Aston Villa 6-2

Finished 2nd in the League,Gutted was leading the league most of season until last game when i was home to Tottenham who were second behind me by a point, They beat me 2-0 at the bridge with Modric scoring both.......GUTTED!!!

My current squad is

Cech/Courtois

Cole/Bertrand

Hummels/Alex

Terry/Luiz

Essien/Mikel

Ramires/McEachran

Mata/James Rodriguez

Di Maria/Armautovic

Torres/Sturridge

Cavani/Lukaku

no right backs then?

Season Summary - A Game of Two Defenders

No trophies. Man Utd - 88pts; Arsenal - 82pts; Chelsea - 81pts; Man City - 80 pts; Spurs - 79pts. Kenny Dalglish sacked. My job 'insecure'.

Given the QF exits of all cups, I suspect I only have a job because the board felt sorry for me. Ramires and Daniel Sturridge of all people got at least 5 games in defence, as the chaotic season finally finished. To summarise my defensive woes, here's a summary of my defenders and league games played -

Ashley Cole - 24

Ryan Bertrand - 4

John Terry - 32

David Luiz - 21

Alex - 13

Oriel Romeu - 14

Daniel Pappoe - 3

Branislav Ivanovic - 21

Jose Bosingwa - 26

Paulo Ferreira - 6

Pretty grim that only Terry was generally healthy, and left back was a real crisis for 10 games with Ferreira or Bosingwa covering. Daniel Pappoe even got 3 starts towards the end!

Transfers

Players Out

Alex - £15m - AC Milan

Branislav Ivanovic - £15m - FC Porto

Raul Meireles - £13m - FC Porto

Florent Malouda - £5.5m - Liverpool

Milan Lalkovic - £1.6m - Sheff Wed

Yossi Benayoun - £1.8m - Aston Villa

Hilario - free

Paulo Ferreira - free

Didier Drogba - free

Nicolas Anelka - free

Total incoming £67m

Players In

Mats Hummels - £25m

Sime Vrsaljko - £3.7m

Yann M'Vila - £27m

Fracisco Alonso - £2.1m (regen)

Edison Cavani - £28m

Total Incoming £87m

2012 Squad & Aspirations

GK - Petr Cech / Thibaut Courtois

DL - Ashley Cole / Ryan Bertrand

DC - John Terry / Mats Hummels

DC - David Luiz / Jeffry Bruma / Tomas Kalas

DR - Jose Bosingwa - Sime Vrsaljko

MCL - Frank Lampard / Josh McEachran

MCC - Yann M'Vila / Oriol Romeu

MCR - Ramires / Michael Essien

AMC - Juan Mata / Gael Kakuta

FCL - Edinson Cavani / Romelu Lukaku

FCR - Fernando Torres / Daniel Sturridge

Hoping a deeper back line and retooling in key places (Cavani, M'Vila, Hummels); as well as the ongoing development of my youngsters, can propel me to a proper title challenge for the whole season.

Slowly working my way through first preseason. Looking to play 4-2-3-1, with the likes of Mata and Sturridge in my '3'. Was looking for more players here; ideally hazard and ganso, but both revso expensive. Can't agree a fee for Hazard, and just not sure f Ganso is value for money at £27M / £120k p/w.

My alternative is Willian (£7M) and Moura (looks amazing). Thoughts on these guys, including Hazard and Ganso?

Slowly working my way through first preseason. Looking to play 4-2-3-1, with the likes of Mata and Sturridge in my '3'. Was looking for more players here; ideally hazard and ganso, but both revso expensive. Can't agree a fee for Hazard, and just not sure f Ganso is value for money at £27M / £120k p/w.

My alternative is Willian (£7M) and Moura (looks amazing). Thoughts on these guys, including Hazard and Ganso?

Hazard and Ganso are great, a clear cut above the other two.

Also, check out Marek Hamisk - perfect guy to fit centrally (AMC) behind your striker, and linked with a move to Chelsea a lot in the past year or two.

Well I moved ahead with Willian; looked like a great utility player for 7M. I have Ganso and Hazard ready to sign, but the transfer fees are putting me off. Hazard is 42M, and Ganso is 25M; sure its not my money and just a game, but feels so damn expensive! I need one of the two of them though; not quite sure which one to pull the trigger on.

Just finished our 3rd season an ended up with a treble, League Cup, FA Cup and Premier League. Lost to PSG in the final of the Europa League.

awor9y.jpg

5eh7rt.jpg

I really need to strengthen the squad this season, Alex Sandro rejected me in favour of Ath Madrid so im on the lookout for a new first team LB still. Id aslo like a left winger with a strong right, its hard trying to find the talent tho when you dont wanna spend a ridiculous amount!

Also, i hope im wrong but ive got a feeling the Prem could be a walkover from now on, Ferguson, Wenger and Redknapp all retired and Mancini left for Real Madrid. Marcelo Bielsa is now at OT, Louis Van Gall at the Emirates, Paul Lambert at Spurs and Frank Rijkaard replaced Mancini, im not convinced...

EDIT - Im getting offers of 17 and 20 m cash from Real Madrid and Ath Madrid for Bruma, ive rejected them though the kids brilliant.

Well I really went for it with my transfers and probably both overspent in total and overpaid. That said, its been a good preseason with 5 games played, 20 scored, and 6 conceded. Also, I knew the players I wanted to form my attacking unit, and rather than spend a season constantly looking at them, I went for them. With them all being young, I'm hoping this unit can function together for years to come.

Preseason

- Vitesse (W) 4-2

- PSG (W) 4-2

- Wimbledon (W) 4-0

- Porto (D) 2-2

- CSKA (W) 6-0

I'll probably squeeze in one more game against the Reserves before the season starts just to further refine my 4-2-3-1.

Transfers In (all over 48mths)

Hazard - 43M (overpaid)

Ganso - 27M (overpaid)

Willian - 7M

Ayew - 7.25M

Erick Torres - 3.5M

Vrsaljko - 2.5M

Ciciretti - 1M (promising MC)

Branescu - 1M (promising GK)

Players Out

Drogba - 7M

Kalou - 5.75M

Anelka - 5M

Ferreira - 1M

Clifford - 0.3M

Kaby (free transfer)

Loans (in addition to those already set up) - Lalkovic, Blackman, Gordon, Meireles (3M upfront for loan, future fee of 11M)

First game is Spurs away, followed by Bolton home, then City away. I'd take 7 points happily right now!

Just finished my first season. Won the Premier League and the FA Cup. Lost to Barcelona in the semi's of the Champions League.

Had signed Hulk and Hazard in the first season. Now, I want to sign a world class CM like Modric but he just doesn't want to come. Any other suggestions ?

Just finished my first season. Won the Premier League and the FA Cup. Lost to Barcelona in the semi's of the Champions League.

Had signed Hulk and Hazard in the first season. Now, I want to sign a world class CM like Modric but he just doesn't want to come. Any other suggestions ?

i recommend looking at defour he plays really well in a dlp sup role especially if you put him as the main playmaker

Agree Lukearts, I am currently coming to the business end of my very first season and Essien has been back to fitness for around a month and I have played him in several games since but poor performance + low fitness and the odd niggle isn't helping.

His Attributes are the poorest I have seen on him and I'm afraid, As harsh as it seems I'm going to cut my loses in pre-season and sell him on. He's on a high wage and I don't have the time and space to try and get him back to his best (If even possible)

End of season

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649871336288016968/68BE9C98BC0F9CBECE7A930AF6DD57182393C66B/

After the disappointing run of form I switched to my FM11 tactics. This seemed to improve things but not before getting knocked out of the Europa League by PSG. We did however manage the double, beating City the FA Cup final and pipping United to the post on the last day of the season :D. Terry and Mata were in the team of the year and I was manager of the year, not much else to report after the poor form for half the season. Here's the squad anyway:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649871336288188225/255DF275F6B16AE5502B75778ED5DF1FEB8109A7/

and the last couple of players chopped of the bottom:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649871336288177868/6DB0409EEB49EA25A8A683CE48022287E6407401/

Unfortunately Torres has been injured since the beginning if March and i do feel that his goals would have helped the dip in form, but as you can see he was still one of the top performers with 30 goals in 29(4) apps. Mata, as you all know was amazing and will hopefully be the heartbeat of the team for years to come.

I have to say I'm not sure what to do now. I was planning to start again but after seeing some positives towards the end of the season I'm tempted to continue and hopefully have a better season this time around. What do you guys think?

Agree Lukearts, I am currently coming to the business end of my very first season and Essien has been back to fitness for around a month and I have played him in several games since but poor performance + low fitness and the odd niggle isn't helping.

His Attributes are the poorest I have seen on him and I'm afraid, As harsh as it seems I'm going to cut my loses in pre-season and sell him on. He's on a high wage and I don't have the time and space to try and get him back to his best (If even possible)

I'm leaning towards the same, now in November 2012 and he's still not getting match fit and regressing all over; picking up knocks nearly every time he plays, and sadly not performing. He's got Carling/FA Cup games for the rest of the season to prove himself.

Still can't find a world class CM :/ One who I can use as a deep lying playmaker

Hamsik's suggested role is DLP support and he's certainly world class.

Although it's odd to say, Mikel is a 3.5 star player and plays extremely well as DLP defend

Rodwell and Fellaini are always really good midfielders, I'm sure they could play as a DLP right?

Arturo Vadal???

Archived