FM12: Leeds United - Bring back the glory days

AidanofLFC

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for my game - now approaching New Year in second season. I don't advocate reloading games to try matches again, but I used the idea in a different way.

Every time board member Yvonne Allen clinched a takeover deal, but said there was no investment, I reloaded the game. And now the talks have collapsed, but chairman status is still "looking to leave." Who knows how my shady tactic will work out long term? :)

@mrwoodz

In my save Yvonne Allen clinched a takeover deal, and she said no investment, but soon she gave me 40 millions on transfers in summer window and she accepted to rebuild youth objects.

Can anyone give me a few ideas of strikers, money's no issue... I've aready tried Wilfried and he rejected me, so any other ideas. Apart from Sanogo as i am already going for him but i need a more experienced one

Darwin Quintero.

Wilfried will come to you from around 23/24 July. Just give him some press interaction before hand.

Truly sad news about Speed. Hard to fathom why as things seemed to be going so well professionally - who knows the reasons behind it, but I assume it must be something best kept private. Such a shame for his children.

Truly shocked and saddened. Like you I just cannot fathom this. RIP Gary Speed.

Great lad Gary Speed, thoughts go out to his family and close friends. He was a brilliant bloke, did a lot for Charity around Leeds back in the day, he played and coached in a few charity matches for the boozer my dad and uncle went in, top class bloke and a sad, sad situation.

For anyone who isn't old enough to remember, this was the goal that completed the rout against Sheffield United which went a long way to getting us promoted. Oh to have players like Gary Speed in our team now...

Also, note the Iniesta-style-outside-of-the-right-foot pass from Chris Kamara :)

RIP Gary Speed

Quick update from me...

Transfers were pretty slow in the end, couple of good looking Regens in, but the main talking point was nicking Phil Jones from man u. Brilliant signing and he'll be a legend. My defend looks really strong now...

I've got 9 full England Internationals, 1 U-21 and the U-19 captain, which is a nice situation to be in.

TransfersSeason3.jpg

Bad news is, I don't think I'll win the CL with this squad. I think I'll have to be ruthless in the next window / end of season. Wilfried, Jali, Howson, Wallace, Kagawa and Sturridge might have to go. Sturridge misses way too many chances, and I think a world class striker will make a massive difference.

Also, the expectations have changed hugely, I got no choice over season expectations, the message was simple. Win the league.

So the transfer targets for (hopefully) a good run at the CL next year will be Robinson, Gotze, M'Vila & a yet unidentified Striker !

EDIT: World class striker problem solved. Benzema will be arriving in January for a bargain basement £10m. I'd had him on the radar for a while, his squad status changed to Backup and his value plummeted to £7.5m.

RIP Gary Speed. I'm also old enough to remember him playing for us under Wilko in those promotion and title winning seasons, some of my greatest memories supporting Leeds United.

Still feeling shocked at what's happened, but I'll be going to Forest tomorrow where I hope we can give him a great send off.

Final update of the day, and last until the season is over...

After Benzema arrived, the conundrum was who to invest the remaining £17m or so in. Or should I keep the money in the bank. The problem was solved very easily when this arrived in the inbox

Bale.jpg

Good old Spurs. That's the entire left side of the team dealt with for a few years anyway.

just a quick update on my experience - more as a way to vent than anything else. Just been promoted to prem with its untold riches and opportunities and Uncle Ken sees fit to offer me a whopping $8M 'warchest' to help us try to survive. thanks a bunch. Adding to my frustration was Andy Keogh who was fantastic for me in the champ and I wanted to keep hold of - paid the $575K release clause as part of his loan deal repeatedly only to be told by his agent that he had no interest in joining the club. We get promotoed and all of a sudden he is interested but now after a successful season in the champ wolves hold me to ransom and i end up having to pay $4M for him (they wanted $7.5M initially). GRRRRRRRR Andy!!!!! So, to the bargain bin we go!!!!!

To buy or not to buy?

Got offered Esteban Granero at a price of £2.100.000, but wants £58.800 a week! I'm in second season, and just had my board takeover from Yvonne..

That's a very good transfer deal, but a massive part of your wage budget I suspect. Can you afford to pay him that, do you have any other match highest earners?

just a quick update on my experience - more as a way to vent than anything else. Just been promoted to prem with its untold riches and opportunities and Uncle Ken sees fit to offer me a whopping $8M 'warchest' to help us try to survive. thanks a bunch. Adding to my frustration was Andy Keogh who was fantastic for me in the champ and I wanted to keep hold of - paid the $575K release clause as part of his loan deal repeatedly only to be told by his agent that he had no interest in joining the club. We get promotoed and all of a sudden he is interested but now after a successful season in the champ wolves hold me to ransom and i end up having to pay $4M for him (they wanted $7.5M initially). GRRRRRRRR Andy!!!!! So, to the bargain bin we go!!!!!

Released on a free and still without a club in my game...

In my first season in the Premier I won a treble of cups - and admittedly didn't play a "top" team in either one of the domestic cups, but had to play Juventus in the EURO Cup final at Juve's stadium.

In the league, I finished 5th - about 6 or 7 points off the top 4 - which I thought was a fair return for the lowest wage bill in the league. :) Unfortunately, it means another season of Thursday matches, but if the above result is anything to go by I should be aiming for the top this season.

I assume qualifying for the Euro Cup in that season in the Championship helped get me a couple of players that I wouldn't have otherwise, but most of my signings gave been teenagers.

With some notable exceptions - Tiote now lines up alongside Howson in Centre Midfield, having joined for £11.5m from Newcastle, Danny Wilson joined for £6m from Liverpool to backup Boyata and Shawcross at CB, and Giovani Dos Santos (£10.5m from Villa) backs up any of my front 4, which now includes Carlos Vela on a permanent deal - although there was some frustration over that.

I had him on loan for the season - and as I paid £1.1m for the loan fee I had an agreed price of £3.7m at any point, but when it got to June I couldn't get him to sign. I even tried interaction with him, but you can't declare interest in someone at your club already, so I asked him to recommend a signing. He said dos Santos, who signed on June 30th - the last day of Vela's loan deal. And Vela said he was delighted to welcome dos Santos, was happy I'd taken his advice, and still left the next day. :)

Every time in June I offered the necessary fee (about once a week) his agent refused to enter any negotiation on contract.

Then he was dumped in Arsenal's reserves, I agreed a slightly higher fee of £5.5m, and then he was delighted to sign for me. So a little costly, but could have been worse.

transferss3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My players in include 7 regens (2 from Feyenoord, 2 from Boca, and 1 from France on a free, Aberdeen and Genk.) And as you can see from players out I now have 2 feeder clubs, but haven't done much in the way of sales. Although there has been interest in some players.

Alright guys, hope everyone's Leeds United careers are progressing well!

I've probably done as much as I will on FM12 for now, having now played through 10 seasons and got to the stage where I'm dominating the Premier League and Champions League. It took about 5-6 seasons to really start challenging for trophies, but I've now won

- 3 League Cups

- 4 FA Cups

- 4 Community Shields

- 3 Premier League titles (the last 3 years)

- 1 Europa league

- 2 Champions Leagues (the last 2 years)

Feels like I've got to the stage now where there's not a lot else to do!

Hey guys long time no see! Had a lot on my plate the last month and a half so I haven't been on here to post up my progress (and I haven't been playing as much) but I'm here to remedy that and get back in the action. Just a reminder, I had won the Championship in my first season and had won the first 8 games of my maiden Premiership campaign... well I would end up going to mid December unbeaten but then went on a horrible losing streak and the table ended up like this.

Table 12/13:

xfumgk.png

Transfers 12/13:

2whms07.png

(yeah I went a bit crazy to try and correct my awful losing streak from mid December - Feb)

Table 13/14:

r9oop4.png

Transfers 13/14:

r1yh01.png

However I have won something every season so far!

Cup Triumphs:

16icign.png

Current Team September 2014:

w96xol.png

All in all I am quite please with my progress. Was quite disappointed that my position in the league remained static for two years running but at the start of the 13/14 season one of my main strikers damaged his cruciate ligament and was out for 9 months and hasn't recovered fully. However given that I was in European competition and won the FA Cup I think it went okay. Again with the money spent I would have liked to have done better but I slipped up last year against all the teams above me (didn't beat any of them in the league until the end of the season when I beat Liverpool after a change in tactics).

Hi guys, failed to get into Leeds on FM11 but loving it this time round

First season signed Parnaby and Nemeth on frees and tried to achieve promotion with current squad, bar Nunez £875K and Bruce £200K

Really struggled for consistency ,Keogh getting 14 goals then refusing to stay on at xmas .

Switched formation, signed Ched Evans for £800K (who was awesome for me) , Billy Sharp £1.4m, Nicky Law £200K and never looked back

Best starting 11 (4222) Lonegran - Parnaby, Kisnorbo, O'Brien, White - Snodgrass, Howson, Brown, Pugh - McCormack, Evans

Won the title by a point over Blackpool

New season in the Prem with an aim to bring in young ,quick British players...

Signed Dutchman Krul £3.4m and 32 year old Andy Hughes for £1m

Others notable signings include - Kyle Walker £3.4m, Onuoha £2.1m, Delph £2.2m, Chris Mcann £1.5m, Fleck £875K, Jay Rodriguez £5m , Goodwillie LOAN, SSchneiderlin £675K, Ryan Bennett £1m, Lee Tomlin £1.1m ,Trippier FREE, Connor Clifford (touted next Johnny Giles) FREE

Worried i'd made too many signings but despite a 0-3 loss to Citeh now on a 7 game unbeaten and run just beat Arsenal

Snodgrass on fire again,Fleck great and Rodriguez 8 goals so far

Strating 11 - Krul - Walker, Onuoha, Hughes, McCann - Snoddy, Howson, Delph, Fleck - Rodriguez, Evans

Early days yet, got Liverpool, Chelsea and man u coming up next

will let you know how the season goes

Hey guys, back again for FM12 after getting bored with winning everything with Leeds in FM11 (I started a Harrogate Town game which was fun for a while but that's a different story). I'm currently in November in my first season and looking very good. Top of the table and in the League Cup Semi-Finals - against Brighton, I've had lucky draws so far. Final will be against Tottenham or West Brom.

My squad as it stands consists of Lonergan, Robinson (from Liverpool), Gioda (loved him in FM11 so brought him in again), Miliev, Parnaby, Jali, Howson, Snoddy, Vayrynen, Radovic and Quintero. Playing 4-5-1 with a defensive midfielder (Jali), CM (Howson) and AM (Vayrynen or Radovic depending on who is fit).

My only problem is that if anybody gets injured I'm a bit light on replacements. I could do with another winger (preferably one who can play either side of the field) just in case. Also need another attacker but that can wait until January. I'll try offload a few more fringe players then and see what I can do with the remaining transfer funds.

Finally gave in and bought it, just finished the first friendly but my god how hard is it to bring players in. I can't get anyone, even Parnaby won't come and i'm in mega need of back up at right back. The rest of the team i can make do with, Andros Townsend looks like he may join on loan but money is the issue or lack there of. I don't want to offload the team and make a new one. Paynter and Bromby are the only ones i'm getting rid of. Any other suggestions on how to bring in some cover. I'm confident i can get this team promoted with a couple of loan signings.

EDIT: Had to start again due to a very annoying part of one of the add-ons i put into the game. Everything is much the same, unbeaten through pre-season, picking up a draw against Villa and a win against QPR. Almost signed Townsend but just as he's about to sign he gets injured for 3 months, bring in Milan Lalkovic instead for the season on loan and in the 2 games he's played he's been brilliant. Bruno Silva (RB) joined for £200k while Billy Paynter went for £200k to Peterborough and Bromby left on loan to Carlisle for the season.

First two games were,

Away to Crystal Palace (League) - 2-0 win (Keogh and Sam)

Away to Rotherham (Carling Cup) - 3-0 win (O.G. and Lalkovic x2)

McCormack, Snodgrass and Beccio all missed out but with the exception of Beccio all will return for the next game.

Having looked at all these posts it seems i'm one of very few who's stuck with pretty much the original team. I've made 3 signings (Bruno Silva, Parnaby and Lakovic on loan) and only sold Paynter, loaned out Bromby.... though Bruce is also due to leave in Jan.

I'm currently sat 2nd with the best attack and defence (which includes Rachubka being my no.1 ahead of Lonegran) in the league, 2 points behind West Ham with a game in hand. Also managed to knock Norwich and Man Utd out of the Carling Cup on my way to the quarter finals where i lost to Chelsea. Think i said very early in this thread that promotion can be done without ripping the team apart lol

After 4 years of FM finally get to premiership....won league by a country mile105 points 89 runners up.

110 for 44 against.

keogh 44 goals in league/

won LC 3-2 against chelsea won FA cup 3-2 et against spurs

playing Mr houghs tactic

only brought in weligton (DC) a star 17 goals!!! addo, grondin and parnaby(cruciate after 30 games)

bought postiga, niemeyer, emmannual thomas, sevilla montoya so far ready for Man U in charity shield now

any advice for premiership? should i keep tactic? any 5* signings i should look to add?

Despite being a Chelsea fan, I've always enjoyed playing as the Leeds manager and taking the club back to the PL where it belongs. I've just finished my first season and achieved promotion easily in the end:

npowerchampionshipoverv.png

There were a few wobbles every now and then, mainly because I was constantly tweaking my tactics and first choice lineup. Here's what I settled with by the end of January: leedsunitedtacticsovervj.png

As you can see I made extensive use of the loan system and free transfers.

leedstransfershistory.png

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the season went. The positives were:

-Undefeated at home and a decent GD

-Snodgrass was the Championship player of the season and deservedly so; he is deadly cutting in from the right and provided plenty of assists

-Three players in the team of the season; Snodgrass, Howson and O Brien.

-Frimpong won 5 young player of the month awards. He also chipped in with a few goals from the DM position which is always nice

Some negatives:

-Despite having the second best defensive record in the league, I didn't have that many clean sheets. We conceded lots of late goals and too many goals from crosses/cutbacks which is annoying

-I've never created my own 4-5-1 tactic before and I don't think I quite nailed it

-Went out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and the 2nd round of the League Cup

However this is all irrelevant when it comes to my first season in the PL; I'll be changing formation and radically overhauling the squad. I might even have an entirely new first 11 =p (Butland isn't ready for the PL)

I decided to start a Leeds game a couple of days ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've made some really astute signings and I'm sitting top of the league after 17 games. I'm also in the Carling cup Quarter final at home to Spurs and have only lost once all season.

League table

leedsleague.jpg

Team and tactic.

leedsteam.jpg

Transfers.

leedstransfers.jpg

All of my signings have played a huge part in my good start, other than Helguson. But he can't get a look in because of BWP. Materazzi and Pavon have been as solid as a rock and bring unrivalled experience to the team. Both Champions League winners i believe and Materazzi has a World Cup medal to his name too. Fleck has been brilliant and Bostock is a very good impact sub. But without doubt, the most impressive has been BWP. Cost me £1.2m from League One but has been banging in the goals. He had 4 in 3 for Charlton before signing for me and has 12 in 13 starts for me.

BWP.

leedsbwp.jpg

I posted this in the bargain thread, since I used Leeds (first season) I thought I'd throw it in here too. Got me promotion with no issues. I know some are already listed in here though, but I'd thought it would be a nice summary.

All of them used latest patch (today is Jan 19th). Used Leeds, got them all in Championship first season. They are all fantastic players and were stars in Championship.

Name: Gioda, Leandro

Position: CB

Transfer Fee: 130k

Wage: ~5k

Level of club suitable for: Mid-Premier League and Championship

Work Permit: Italian passport (or something)

Season: First

Other Details:

Name: Bandalovski, Ivan

Position: RB

Transfer Fee: £55k

Wage: £5k

Level of club suitable for: Top-6 Premier League

Work Permit: Yes

Other Details:

Name: Torassa, Agustín

Position: Striker

Transfer Fee: £100k

Wage: £3k

Level of club suitable for: Mid-table PL, won Championship "golden boot"

Work Permit: Italian passport

Other Details:

Name: Mrowiec, Adrian

Position: CM/DM (use as DM)

Transfer Fee: £10k

Wage: £1.5k

Level of club suitable for: Championship

Other Details:

Name: Sacconi, Deyvid

Position: Everywhere on midfield + off. midfield

Transfer Fee: £150k (Transfer listed, might be more expensive for you but still worth it)

Wage: £10k

Level of club suitable for: Top-6 Premier League (star player in Championship)

Work Permit: Italian passport

Other Details:

Name: Letsholonyane, Reneilwe

Position: Use as DM

Transfer Fee: £150k

Wage: £6k

Level of club suitable for: Mid-table PL

Other Details:

Name: Bossut, Sammy

Position: GK

Transfer Fee: £150k (Transfer listed, might be more expensive for you but still worth it)

Wage: £9k

Level of club suitable for: Mid-table PL

Work Permit: Belgian

Other Details:

I'd also tip for all the following, who are free. I obviously got work permit for all of them, they all requested wages below £10k (if not even lower).

Eric Addo

Josh Wright

Rubén Palazuelos

Francesco Luciani

Cedric van der Gun

Michael McIndoe

Edu (33 y/o AM)

Massimo Cannizzaro

Ivica Dragutinovic

Michael Parkhurst

I'd especially recommend Addo, van der Gun, Edu, Dragu and Parkhurst.

I'm going to start as Leeds later and play very realistic, sell all my players who are in the last year of contracts, such as Howson, if I get a good offer, and replace them with cheap/frees/loans, using the theory of Pugh my max budget is £500k. Wish me luck.

I have a question for the Leeds managers on here - has anyone been able to be survive and even thrive in the prem while retaining the core of the original squad - and if so what approach did you take? (attacking? counter? etc)

I got the team promoted comfortably (top by 9 points) but I do like to keep a bit of Leeds-ness about the side so my side still has lonergan, lees, kisnorbo, white, howson, snoddy & keogh in the starting 11 and pugh, mccormack, gimpel & clayton on the fringes. I just reluctantly sold Becchio because ipswich offered $1.8M. In the close season I bought what I thought was fairly astutely - Fleck, Papdopoulous, Weiss plus I had already bought my star DM Mandjeck in the January window to round out the squad. But I am having an almighty struggle in the Prem with a disastrous 1 point after 10 games. The thing is we haven't played badly at all - in 8 of the 10 games we have had more CCC's than the other team. We are losing because my players are all overawed and nervous (3/4 of the side are 'Playing Nervously' even when I try to reduce pressure with my team talks) and making shocking individual errors despite performing OK during general play.

Now, this isn't a 'whingeing about the gam'e post - I can understand if my players - many of whom were in the League 1 promotion side - are out of their depth in the Prem but I just wondered if anyone else had been able to achieve survival (and even success) with the core of the original side still key contributors and if so how they did it.

Cheers - and sorry for the long winded post.

Operation Ken Bates is going well, my max budget per player is 500k (Theory of Pugh), so far I've shipped out anyone I had interest in, kept Bromby don't worry, I'll upload a screenshot to show you my great work. Bates lovers be proud.

qn428i.png

Barton was signed to appease the fans, he was a bit of a big buy, Clayton is getting interest from QPR so he could be coming into the team soon. In true Leeds fashion looking at scout reports I've noticed Rudi Skacel is out of contract in Jan so my Howson replacement is only a few months away! Yippee!!!!

Absolutely delighted with how my first season is going with Leeds. I'm 5 points clear at the end of January and i've just beaten Wolves in the Carling Cup semi final. The other Semi Final was between West Brom and Man Utd. I wasn't sure who i wanted to win because if Utd won, I'd be guaranteed Europe next season. But if West Brom won, i'd have a chance of winning the cup or losing Europe. West Brom won 2-0 on aggregate.......

So at the end of Feb i play West Brom in the Carling Cup Final....

my 1st season in prem saw me carry on where i left off....i won League cup and FA cup in championship and beat Man u in charity shield..however thats it...got hammered in 1st round of europa cup by lille and really struggling in prem...currently mid table after 8 games but Man u trounced me 6-0 at home n now i dont know whats happening, playing same tactics. Mr hough which worked so well in championship.....heeelllppp

just had a Supporters Trust buy the club off Bates in my game. I am thinking that there must be a hidden 'b@$tard' attribute in the game that Ken is a 20 for though because he dragged the talks out for nearly a full season and 10+ times the talks were on the verge of breakdown because of an 'unfair valuation' of the club on Ken's part. good work SI you got him just about right - all that was missing was him calling the fans morons and having a crack at random foreigners and single mums.

About to start a save with Leeds. Seems like the left back and goalkeeper position are the weakest. Who are the best possible candidates?

Also i like the idea of buying 1-2 very talented players and groom them for the future. Preferably 4.5 or 5 star players. Any recommendations, anyone i can afford?

Thought I hadn't posted here for some time - but believe a progress update should be in order now that I have reached the stage of Leeds winning the World Club Championship.

My team is becoming more and more influenced by regens, as we reach the end of 2015. And I am now playing a 4-2-4 formation that I developed myself.

I'm still using Joe Lewis in goals - as have been quoted RIDICULOUS prices on any keeper I wanted that I saw as a better option. (£30-50 million on a couple of ones I wanted - and I have now spent £5m on a 15 year old!)

And I still use Boyata, Shawcross, and the Ajax pair or Eriksen and Sigborrson that I signed in the first summer after promotion. I've used an approach of the occasional big signing since, supplemented with high potential regens - and now have Mario Gotze, Adam Ljajic, and Iker Muniain supporting Sigborrson up front, and still have Tiote in midfield.

From the original squad, only Howson and Snodgrass still involved regularly.

But after recent real life developments Howson could be on his way out soon (basically being kept around along with Tom Lees to fill out my home grown squad requirements, but that should no longer be required next season.)

Archived