FM12: What Team Should I Be?

SRL88

Any clubs had any significant changes to warrant a new save with? Been hearing people talking about Malaga but what changes have they had which would make them anymore manageable than before patch?

A team that would probably merit your interest is Montpellier Hérault. I've yet to see them on the new patch, because it hasn't finished downloading yet, but I sincerely hope that they've seen some improvement. With the likes of Younès Belanda, Yanag M'biwa and Olivier Giroud all deserving some improvement and alterations, I'm sure they'll become a formidable force in Ligue 1, as they have in reality, on FM :thup:

Another team would be Borussia Möchengladbach, a team that I love to watch and I've made a club thread on them. Gladbach have taken the Bundesliga scene by storm this season, especially with Marco Reus improving game after game. The challenge with Gladbach will come in the Summer of 2012, when key players Marco Reus and Roman Neustädter set to leave to the Ruhr valley. It will be hard to replace such influential characters, especially with funds not spewing from bank.

Those are my recommendations to you :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any clubs had any significant changes to warrant a new save with? Been hearing people talking about Malaga but what changes have they had which would make them anymore manageable than before patch?

Bristol City!! Before the patch they had no money to spend, quite high expectations and a below average championship squad. Post update, we have £1m transfer kitty from the Maynard sale but also we have around £120k wage budget left to spend. I've ended up spending around £4m in my new game still with some wage budget left if I want to bring someone else in. Stephen Pearson and Richard foster are our new signings in real life and have improved the squad. Also we have a quality assistant manager now so for anyone being Bristol city, this new update has made it a completely different game than before.

Wolfsburg spent the most and made the most major signings out of the major European league clubs. Be warned though their board are awful to work for. I started a new save when the patch came out and was fired today at the end of October while in mid table. Their expectations are Europa League and you have a good budget but you can't really attract any quality players even on loan (Welbeck, Balotelli etc... all loan listed and in their respective reserve teams yet rejected me). You're looking at mediocre older players or youngesters. I aimed to build a team to develop over a couple of years with good, young prospects to compliment the current squad but was given no time whatsoever to do this. Be warned if you're going to be them you need to buy only players who can imrpove your team immediately as the board don't mess around. They are 500/1 for the title pre-season yet obviously expect to be better than IRL :D

I am looking to start a new long-term game and want some advice on who to manage. So far I have played as:

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk - Was a really fun save for my first every game on FM but once I'd finished above Shakhtar and Dynamo there wasn't really anything else to achieve. Was never going to win the Champions League and had nothing left to win domestically.

Real Madrid - Just took this job because I was still learning the ropes of FM and wanted to try out all of the features I'd discovered in my first save with the security of having a strong squad. Had won everything by the end of season three and got bored.

Birmingham - Took them up first season and had a fantastic Europa League run. That coupled with my FA Cup run meant I had to play four games per week by the end of the season which was good fun. Second season finished only two places off the relegation zone. Third season won the Premiership. Start of fourth season got fed up because I had way too many hot prospects all of the same ability and basically no senior players as I didn't want to pay their wages or transfer fees and wanted to try the whole dynasty thing. My squad was way too big although my wage budget wasn't. Didn't know what to do and started a new game for some reason. No motivation to go back to it now.

Politehnica Timisoara - Was great fun taking a newly relegated giant back up to the Romanian top league. Managed a cup final loss the first season and ended up in Europe second season. Had a great adventure here too. Managed to win the Romanian league and basically had nowhere to go. Loved playing in Europe as such a small club because of the pressure. Basically if I failed to qualify for the Europea League group stages then my wage structure was unsustainable and I'd have to sell star players. Just got fed up of the challenge being the same season after season. Accepted the Shakhtar Donetsk job after being bored in Romania but gave up pretty quick because it was too easy with an awesome squad and £50m transfer kitty in such a weak league.

Since the Romanian save I haven't had a proper long-term game. Started as all sorts of teams such as West Ham, Wolfsburg, Anzhi, Inter, GKS Katowice and PAOK. Just get bored pretty much straight away for what ever reason.

Now my aim is to find a new challenge completely different to any of the others I wrote about above. It must offer a long-term challenge rather than a game that will peak after a season or two and offer no further excitement. Right now I am thinking of looking for a team with a good history in a lower league and trying to take them back to glory. Would love to hear any ideas on this.

Nation: Any apart from England (prefer leagues where there are 20 teams or less). Must be one where I have some prospects in Europe down the line. Doesn't have to be one of the big four but not tiny ones either. (Thinking one from Portugal, Spain, Scotland, France, Italy, Netherlands, Russia, Greece, Ukraine, Switzerland). Not sure which nations have enough divisions loaded to satisfy my request.

Division: 3rd/4th tier or below

European Competition: N/A

Media Prediction: Any providing it's realistic

Board Expectation(s): Any providing it's realistic

Transfer Budget: Depends on the level. If it's a low league then I don't expect any money at all.

Wage Budget: Enough space to sign 3-4 players at least

Finances: Secure or better

Other:

River are another. I've started a game with them, finances are shocking and we are losing money each month but you have Cavenhagi and Trezeguet upfront who tear the 2nd division apart for fun. Ledesma is great in midfield. In fact everyone bar the keeper and Maidana in my starting 11 are averaging well over a 7 rating per game (and that is probably down to the fact I am playing 3-4-1-2 leaving those 2 exposed a bit) They have plenty of youth prospects who could grow in to top division players plus the facilities are all top end so you should get some class regens. I will probably start a thread for them either today or tomorrow once the season is done as i'm planning giving it a hammering today :cool:

For those thinking about Monaco I looked in the official editor and the chairman isn't listed as a sugar daddy, the budgets listed are right but it doesn't seem like the money will pour in after that despite what Dmitry Rybolovlev says he is planning investing on the team.

I am considering bringing this up in the data section if someone hasn't already because if the game isn't going to keep them bankrolled it will put me off playing as them. I'm not really one for tycoon saves but with them being in ligue 2 it's a bit different and would be a fun one.

River are another. I've started a game with them, finances are shocking and we are losing money each month but you have Cavenhagi and Trezeguet upfront who tear the 2nd division apart for fun. Ledesma is great in midfield. In fact everyone bar the keeper and Maidana in my starting 11 are averaging well over a 7 rating per game (and that is probably down to the fact I am playing 3-4-1-2 leaving those 2 exposed a bit) They have plenty of youth prospects who could grow in to top division players plus the facilities are all top end so you should get some class regens. I will probably start a thread for them either today or tomorrow once the season is done as i'm planning giving it a hammering today :cool:

For those thinking about Monaco I looked in the official editor and the chairman isn't listed as a sugar daddy, the budgets listed are right but it doesn't seem like the money will pour in after that despite what Dmitry Rybolovlev says he is planning investing on the team.

I am considering bringing this up in the data section if someone hasn't already because if the game isn't going to keep them bankrolled it will put me off playing as them. I'm not really one for tycoon saves but with them being in ligue 2 it's a bit different and would be a fun one.

Looking forward to your River thread !

Cheers Maestroik, I have been hoping somebody would do one for a long time but as it hasn't happened and I promised myself i'd do a River save when the last patch came out so i've taken it upon myself to make the thread. It is already written out actually bar a few things regarding contracts and finances plus I want to get the season done because I think with the football played it would encourage people a bit more.

Looking to start a new game to run alongside my qpr game. Torn between PSG and Malaga. Pretty similar challenges but I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Malaga finances are sorted on the game as I remember previously the chairman would stop investing after the first window.

Nation:England

Division:Championship, League 1

European Competition: -

Media Prediction:any

Board Expectation(s): Same as Above

Transfer Budget: any

Wage Budget: any

Finances: Secure/ Stable

Other: Good youth setup with some decent youth prospects to throw in the First XI immediately

I was thinking of Coventry City, Nottingham Forest, Huddersfield Town , Exeter City for a long term challenge or any of you lads can recommend cheers in advance:thup:

Nottingham Forest :D:thup:. Funds at the club are a little tight, but the squad is a decent one. If you can get them ticking you'll get top half easily, pushing for play-offs or promotion if everything goes to plan. You'll have to wheel and deal, but as such is the strength of the squad, you won't need to buy anymore players. You have Jamaal Lascelles. An 17/18 year old centre back who because of injuries to other cbs could start straight away.

I'd say Huddersfield because they're in a lower division (or equal to) the rest and they also have the beast that is Jordan Rhodes :thup: Wolves usually come sniffing around him for £4M in my saves at the beginning of the season so be wary of that. Could be a big money maker for you or you could keep him to help you to the Prem where he is capable too.

Sup, im not from england, but i want to make long save with a Division 2 club from england.

they must have a strong squad, a lot of transferbudget and wage budget (according to division 2 stats off course) I dont know any of those teams, so... Just a ambitious club with high potential!

any suggestions? (oh yea, i has to be in patch 12.2!!!)

I don't really know about transfer budget or wage budget but for League 2 I always suggest Wimbledon FC because of their status as a fallen giant. Taking them back to the Premier League will be a great achievement.

Division 2 as in league 2 which is the 4 tier of English football or do you mean the championship which is in theory, the 2nd division?

Championship: Bristol City or Ipswich. Both get about £5m to spend if you adjust budgets plus quite low expectations.

League 2: Swindon town. Best squad by a mile with some players like caddis, cox, Ritchie and ferry who could all play a lot higher standard. Biggest budget in the division I believe. But you are expect to win the league.

oh, yeah - if you mean Championship look at Blackpool and Southampton. both get around £4M to spend with very healthy bank balances and some very good players. Soton, in particular, have some quality players like Jack Cork, Adam Llalana and Rickie Lambert.

Looking to start a new game to run alongside my qpr game. Torn between PSG and Malaga. Pretty similar challenges but I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Malaga finances are sorted on the game as I remember previously the chairman would stop investing after the first window.

Hello everyone,

I need help choosing two clubs, one being for a game I am planning to put many hours in, other one to play casually on my laptop when I have the time (at school? gnar gnar).

For my new 'main' game I am looking for a club from the blue square north/south division to build up until the premier league (had this in my mind since FM 2009/2010 I guess, but never actually did it).

Because of the fact that my knowledge of England and this league isn't that great, I was wondering if there is someone here who could help. Because I don't want it to be a random club I would really want it to be a club with some history, a large city, great potential audience, with respect, that did some great things in the past, I don't know ;p something to have a great 'starting point' to build something up, something that makes it stand out from the rest.

I was actually looking myself and found a small club with a large (??) city; Salisbury City F.C., but have no idea if this really is the most interesting choice. I don't care how small or large or bad or good it is, as long as it is in north or south

To make my post even longer: for my casual game I am looking for a spanish club I don't need much time to build up but I can just have fun with. Last year my 'casual' game was Manchester City which worked great because you could just buy a lot and quickly win it all, but after that it got boring of course.

So for my casual game a semi-top or top team from the LIGA BBVA would be great like Barcelona or Real Madrid or .. Atletico Madrid? I am really thinking about choosing Barcelona or Real Madrid, but doesn't that get way too boring when you win everything? I guess I would go with Real Madrid out of those two because they are the current club "behind barca".

To Sum up:

New main game:

Club from blue square north/south, that has some sort of 'special feature' (like large potential audience).

Or at least something that would let me have an relationship with it (like I had on FIFA 09 I think it was, were I built up Chesterfield, just because I liked the name and since then I have a special feeling whenever I see chesterfield )

New Casual game:

Club from LIGA BBVA (spain), that is semi-top (like atletico madrid??) or top (like Barcelona/Real Madrid), that is great just to have fun with but doesn't give too much work when not having a huge amount of time to play.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I really would like your help!

Thanks!

nations:England, italy spain, france, portugal,germany, holland, russia, brazil.scotland

Division: top 2

Other: Good youth setup with some decent youth prospects to throw in the First XI immediately for cup games and for major development

To Sum up:

New main game:

Club from blue square north/south, that has some sort of 'special feature' (like large potential audience).

Or at least something that would let me have an relationship with it (like I had on FIFA 09 I think it was, were I built up Chesterfield, just because I liked the name and since then I have a special feeling whenever I see chesterfield )

New Casual game:

Club from LIGA BBVA (spain), that is semi-top (like atletico madrid??) or top (like Barcelona/Real Madrid), that is great just to have fun with but doesn't give too much work when not having a huge amount of time to play.

You could look at Boston United in the BSN. Having fallen down the ladder a little you could get them back up. I also had a very fun save with Harrogate Town on FM08 I think it was. Took them to League 1 and I really enjoyed it.

For your second save I would look at Real Sociedad, Malaga or At.Bilbao.

Sociedad have a good young squad which you can build on. Malaga for obvious reasons and Bilbao in the sense that they only really sign Basque players.

nations:England, italy spain, france, portugal,germany, holland, russia, brazil.scotland

Other: Good youth setup with some decent youth prospects to throw in the First XI immediately for cup games and for major development

Real Sociedad, Gladbach or Vitesse.

Try Sampdoria decent squad at the start of the game

Nation: italy/spain/germany

Division: top

European Competition: don't mind

Media Prediction: mid-table

Board Expectation(s): challenge for europe in a couple of years

Transfer Budget: don't mind

Wage Budget: don't mind

Finances: a club not in loads of debt

Other: a team capable of being transformed within a couple of seasons :)

Based off what you are looking for I would go with either Gladbach, Hoffenheim or Real Sociedad.

Gladbach: Good young squad

Sociedad: As above

Hoffenheim: Im able to plug them because I created the thread for FM11 and FM12, but I had to very, very good saves with them. Rich club, good chairman and a great prospect to grow. They have a new stadium and are a new club to the Bundesliga really. They came from no where thanks to the money from the chairman. Probably my favourite saves on FM for the last few seasons.

Want to start a game in bundesliga. Don't want to be gladbach or hoffenheim. Liking for someone mid table with potential. Considered HSV but bit put off by the fact they e become a chelsea dumping ground.

The Chelsea players are integral parts of the squad, though. Töre is a star already, Rajkovic and Mancienne are more than useful first teamers and Jacopo Sala is a decent player with potential as well.

You might want to check the team thread I made, considering you are interested in playing Hamburg.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/285314-FM12-Hamburger-SV-Caught-in-mediocrity?p=7273788&viewfull=1#post7273788

You could look at Boston United in the BSN. Having fallen down the ladder a little you could get them back up. I also had a very fun save with Harrogate Town on FM08 I think it was. Took them to League 1 and I really enjoyed it.

For your second save I would look at Real Sociedad, Malaga or At.Bilbao.

Sociedad have a good young squad which you can build on. Malaga for obvious reasons and Bilbao in the sense that they only really sign Basque players.

Real Sociedad, Gladbach or Vitesse.

think i might try Vitesse know they got nice stadium

I'm back!

Anyway, I'm looking for a new save. As I'm sure most of you may know, I've got a Arsenal save on the go. It's going great at the moment, but I want a second save to run alongside it. Here's a few things that I would like;

A team with potential - This is probably my main desirable aspect. I love making clubs become UEFA Champions League stalwarts, a side who can regularly offer a hefty title push. For example, a side like Napoli or Athltic Bilbao are a good gauge of what I want.

A team within one of Europe's top leagues - I'm open to playing within countries like Italy, Spain, France or Holland providing that it's in their top flight. I'm open to second-tier sides, but only if you can persuade me!

A fun save - They must be a fun save, obviously! I don't want to have a save where there are absolutely no obstacles for me to overcome.

Please don't mention a team in the Premier League or Bundesliga as I have save lined up for the aforementioned leagues. There's my list; get recommending :D

I'm back!

Anyway, I'm looking for a new save. As I'm sure most of you may know, I've got a Arsenal save on the go. It's going great at the moment, but I want a second save to run alongside it. Here's a few things that I would like;

A team with potential - This is probably my main desirable aspect. I love making clubs become UEFA Champions League stalwarts, a side who can regularly offer a hefty title push. For example, a side like Napoli or Athltic Bilbao are a good gauge of what I want.

A team within one of Europe's top leagues - I'm open to playing within countries like Italy, Spain, France or Holland providing that it's in their top flight. I'm open to second-tier sides, but only if you can persuade me!

A fun save - They must be a fun save, obviously! I don't want to have a save where there are absolutely no obstacles for me to overcome.

Please don't mention a team in the Premier League or Bundesliga as I have save lined up for the aforementioned leagues. There's my list; get recommending :D

Napoli and Bilbao would offer good a good challenge and meet your ambitions. Apart from that Lazio have built up an ambitious team, not many star players apart from Klose and Hernanes but with right ambition you can make great strides with them. Valencia also, but Lazio would defo be a great challenge and maybe Espanyol, been impressed with them this season, play very exciting football and the race for top four in La Liga is really exciting. Lazio and Espanyol would be my recommendations and with both team you got thr intense rivalries, eg Roma and Barca. Barca may be much better on paper but when it a derby who knows?

Trying to decide who to be. Thinking a club that is from eastern europe and not one of the championship challenges each year.

options at this stage include:

1. Karpaty Lviv

2. Dnipro

3. Obolon Kiev

4. Arsenal Kiev

5. Kuban Krasnodar

6. Metalist Kharkiv

7. Terek Grozny

Trying to decide on a save in the Championship for a different challenge. I'm considering the following at the moment:

Southampton (too easy??)

Reading

Derby

Leeds

But I'd consider pretty much anyone else if someone can sell them to me. The exception to this is West Ham. I just couldn't manage them.

A good club thread would be a bonus also.

Thanks

Trying to decide on a save in the Championship for a different challenge. I'm considering the following at the moment:

Southampton (too easy??)

Reading

Derby

Leeds

But I'd consider pretty much anyone else if someone can sell them to me. The exception to this is West Ham. I just couldn't manage them.

Thanks

Reading would be a good save. A very balanced squad, plenty of decent youngsters, many home grown and no superstars. Very few additions needed if you have the squad on the latest patch available.

Saints must also be a good shout if you can pair up Sharp and Lambert, with Lallana and the others to support!

Derby? Hmm, can't see that. Leeds have some decent players and Burnley have some good strikers...

Edit: Portsmouth could be a really difficult challenge? I may even try that myself some time if I feel I can cope with the misery of that :lol:

Nation: Any are acceptable

Division: low

European Competition: any

Media Prediction: low

Board Expectation(s): low

Transfer Budget: low

Wage Budget: workable

Finances: above low

Other: something not too challenging, but with lots of potential for growth

Torquay United :). One of my favourite long term saves from a lower league club.

Trying to decide who to be. Thinking a club that is from eastern europe and not one of the championship challenges each year.

options at this stage include:

1. Karpaty Lviv

2. Dnipro

3. Obolon Kiev

4. Arsenal Kiev

5. Kuban Krasnodar

6. Metalist Kharkiv

7. Terek Grozny

Out of those I would go with Dnipro or Metalist.

Southampton (too easy??)

Reading

Derby

Leeds

Thanks

I have always liked the thought of being Coventry City. A tough challenge due to financial restrictions, but already have a stadium in place and a patient Chairman.

Out of those, I would go with either Derby or Saints.

Reading would be a good save. A very balanced squad, plenty of decent youngsters, many home grown and no superstars. Very few additions needed if you have the squad on the latest patch available.

Saints must also be a good shout if you can pair up Sharp and Lambert, with Lallana and the others to support!

Derby? Hmm, can't see that. Leeds have some decent players and Burnley have some good strikers...

Edit: Portsmouth could be a really difficult challenge? I may even try that myself some time if I feel I can cope with the misery of that :lol:

Portsmouth is a bit too mental for me at the moment.

Reading looks really appealing actually.

Derby has some emotional attachment, but their squad doesn't look the strongest.

Saints do indeed look good.

I have always liked the thought of being Coventry City. A tough challenge due to financial restrictions, but already have a stadium in place and a patient Chairman.

Out of those, I would go with either Derby or Saints.

Cov? Hmm. Maybe.

Still undecided between my initial 3 choices at the moment.

Thanks guys, anyone else got any ideas/comments?

Does the fact that Derby's squad isnt that strong make the challenge that big better?

It does indeed, and I am kinda leaning that way. Plus they have Tom Carroll on loan for the season, which is a definite bonus. Gutted that Mason Bennett is too young for the game though as he looks a talent. I think with them I'd be looking at a 2 year plan to get them up, while Reading/Saints I'd probably be looking at getting them up straight away. Leaning towards Derby now. Still deciding if anyone else has anything to contribute?

Archived