Sports Interactive Community
llama3

FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

Anxiietyyy - Another fantastic result, mate :D You really are churning them out at the moment. Out of curiosity, what's your 'Past Experience' rating? If you have a rating of 'Sunday League Footballer', the game is far more challenging.

Monthly Update coming up; it was somewhat of a disappointing one too :thdn:

Anxiietyyy - Another fantastic result, mate :D You really are churning them out at the moment. Out of curiosity, what's your 'Past Experience' rating? If you have a rating of 'Sunday League Footballer', the game is far more challenging.

Monthly Update coming up; it was somewhat of a disappointing one too :thdn:

Not sure mate, it's either 'sunday league' or the one just above that... And to get those screenshots with the stats, go to Squad > Team report > Last match.

Did you sign the petition pal? 285 strong so far! :D

arsenalfocus.png

Monthly Update - September;

Another month has passed and it was somewhat if a disappointing one. Tactically, we were inept for the final games of the season but, to be honest, I place no blame on my players. I place blame upon myself.

September - Fixtures and Results;

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 1 (van Persie '71)

West Brom - 1 (Olsson '13)

Disappointed. Any team who finishes the game with a possession statistic of 71%, you would expect them to come from the game with more than a 1-1 draw. Olsson headed home from a corner before we went close on many an occasion, dominated proceedings but, we couldn't take advantage of our dominance. We had to rely on the majestic Robin van Persie to get us out of Footballing Jail.

UEFA Champions League ~ Group Stage;

Arsenal - 2 (Ramsey '30, van Persie '42, van Persie Red Card '77)

LOSC Lille - 0 (Pedretti Red Card '71)

Very pleasing performance. Ramsey tapped home after a late burst into the box. 1-0. Then RVP nodded home, after leaping well, from about 8-yards. 2-0. We kept the likes of Eden Hazard, who was probably LOSC Lille's best player on the night, quiet throughout the game and it showed with the final score. Although, a RVP challenge from behind dampened the mood and tarnished a good victory.

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 2 (van Persie '21, Ramsey '40)

Wigan - 0

The dynamic duo of Aaron Ramsey and Robin van Persie got together again and awarded us with a good win. This time in reverse order, van Persie begun proceedings after latching onto a clearing header from Thomas Vermaelen. Ramsey then made a good run forward, only to be hit by a clearance which trickled in passed a on-looking Ali Al-Habsi. Good win.

Carling Cup ~ 3rd Round;

Arsenal - 0

Bolton - 1 (Klasnic '75)

Not too disappointed but, obviously, I do feel some annoyance that we are out of a competition which was very much winnable. One positive: I was able to give the likes of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Emmanuel Frimpong, Ignasi Miquel and Carl Jenkinson some valuable playing time. All impressed on the night, especially Jenkinson. Oguzhan Özyakup and Rafal Wolski made their first-team débuts too. Tomas Rosicky picked up a nasty injury, too.

Barclays Premier League;

Everton - 3 (Fellaini '18, Baxter '70, Barkley '72)

Arsenal - 0

Terrible performance which came about with me looking to chop and change tactically. I changed to a new real-life Arsenal based tactic and that ultimately lost us the game. We were in the contest before the 70th minute, where Jose Baxter scored before Ross Barkley added another; both scoring their first senior goals for Everton. Disappointed and annoyed.

UEFA Champions League ~ Group Stage;

Napoli - 5 (Dzemaili '10, Cavani '34, '45+2, Hamsik '40, Cannavaro '90+4)

Arsenal - 2 (Benayoun '47, '56, Arteta Second Yellow '52)

I think the scoreline will tell you what I think of the game. 5 goals conceded. I'm embarrassed. I know this Napoli outfit, managed by Walter Mazzari, is renowned for it's attacking prowess but, we almost rolled over for them. Even with playing a holding midfielder, we were unable to keep the likes of Cavani, Hamsik and Lavezzi from our penalty area. Annoyed, disgruntled and all this has come from my own mistake: Tactically displacing my team in the middle of an important month.

bplseptember.png

Barclays Premier League table; September 2nd

My 'Gooner' of the Month;

★★★ Samed Yesil FOR HIS PERFORMANCES WITHIN THE YOUTH SQUAD - With this month being far from productive in terms of players being on form but, my youth squad is full of them. With my U18 side still unbeaten within the 'Youth Group 5' league, Samed Yesil has been influential in their good form. He's scored 10 goals in 8 appearances and is now filling my thoughts as to whether I will call him up, sooner rather than later, to the senior squad. He's leading the Youth Leagues scoring charts too. Well Done Samed!

To round it all off...

Injury Report - Tomas Rosicky - As I said earlier on, Tomas Rosicky, the Czech Republic international captain, picked up quite a nasty injury against Bolton in the Carling Cup. Here's what my Head Physio, Colin Lewin, has diagnosed Rosicky with;

tomasrosickyacltear.png

I'm quite upset to say the truth. Rosicky plays quite a big role within my squad, regularly coming off the bench and starting lesser games, but without him, I don't really have much cover who can provide class and a ability to retain possession well. This injury may also cast his future at Arsenal into doubt. With his contract expiring at the end of the campaign, he may not recover to the standard that he once was and probably will become surplus to requirements. Decisions, decisions.

My scouting Shortlist: Who have I been watching? As with every save, I like to be in charge of a comprehensive scouting network which could unearth a potential diamond or I may just be watching an established star that has caught my eye. Here's a shortlist of five players that I've been watching of late;

transfertargetstopfive.png

'MON YOU GUNNERS!

not a productive month then, shame

there's some great results and great posts in this thread good work guys.

i've just sown up my 2nd league title with four games to go, the rest of league has been poor in my second season unlike last.

Got man city in the semi's of the champs league which is looking difficult as they have beaten my twice this season allready and i'm without god(sergio aguero), rvp and verrmaeen and they humped inter 8-0 at home in the 1/4s, but the other side of draw looks good as Real have nocked out barca so i reckon if i can get to the final i can win the CL again and hopefully do the trebble and win the FA cup aswell.

i retain possession and push higher when i play man city & man utd - works a treat!

Ok so after numerous attempts at starting my annual Arsenal save i have taken the plunge and am determined to see this to the bitter end. I not ever done a review before so this could go horribly wrong but i will try and do half-season reviews from now on.

Firstly i got my transfer targets in early as possible to allow for them to train and get to know the rest of the squad. I signed the following players:

Ross Barkley from Everton for 23M (paid well over the odds here and was a huge error on my part as didn't look at the final price)

Felipe Anderson from Santos for 5.5M

Oliver Markoutz from Bayern for 6.5M

Mario from Villarreal for 7.25M

Outs

Almunia to Real Madrid for 1M

Anuke went on loan to Oxford

Angha went to Reading for 90K

The draw for the CL Qualifiers was true to life as i drew Udinese with the trip to Italy for the first leg. After a not so great pre-season i was feeling a tad uncertain as i finally kicked off against none other than Man Utd at the Emirates. I obviously underestimated the team i sent out, as we came in at full time with a very well deserved 1-0 victory. A very well earned 1-0 home win against Man Utd in our first League game was quickly followed up with a thumping 4-0 win in Italy to put us in the driving seat this tricky looking Qualifier. We then had an away trip against Norwich and very dissapointingly only managing to come away with a 1-1 draw. Our passage to the CL group stages was confirmed after a comfortable 2-0 victory at the Emirates concluded a 6-0 aggregate scoreline. Fulham up next, at the Emirates and after a nervey first half where we were fortunate to be leading 2-1, we played much better in the second half and ended up winning 3-1. The CL group stages should be comfortable enough after the following draw:

Zenit

Rangers

Dortmund

Tactics are a 4-3-3

P.S if i could learn how to print the screen and get them on here i would be more than happy to post some screenies for you guys

Update April

Premier League – EVERTON 0-2 ARSENAL – Chamakh 13 Schurrle 57

More a good result than a performance. On another day could’ve been a totally different outcome.

FA Cup 6th Round Replay Review

Tottenham and Sunderland both progressed in shootouts after 1-1 draws. So revised draw will see us taking on Sunderland before hopefully Chelsea or Spurs in the final.

Premier League – ARSENAL 1-0 CHELSEA – Granero 90 Arteta m/pen 14

Incredible. The last kick of the game gave us the win we needed. Chelsea did not manager a single attempt the whole game. First half saw Arteta miss a penalty and maybe should’ve had a chance to redeem himself with a handball. Second half was more of the same until Graneros strike finally saw the stiff wall come down. Unfortunatly City and Spurs both managed wins. City with an Arshavin 88th minute winner.

a>

Champions League Quarter-Final 1st leg – CHELSEA 0-1 ARSENAL - Walcott 1

A stranghe game football. It took 93 minutes to score in the 1-0 league win. 3 days later it takes 40 seconds. In fact it was the only goal oof the game. Quite how I’m not sure. Chelsea wated great chances while Van Persie missed FOUR one on ones with Cortois. Anyway 1-0 win to take back to the Emirates. Job done.

Champions League Quarter-Final 1st leg review

In the other games. Man City scored an excellent 3-1 against Marseille. I went and watched a rampant Barca beat Real 3-1. It could’ve been many more. Must say I would love to have Messi and Sanchez in my team. Sanchez seems so skilful and quick compared to the players I have already. Meanwhile in the other game Bayern and AC Milan played out a goalless draw.

Premier League – STOKE CITY 0-3 ARSENAL – Chamakh 1 Wilshere 15 69pen

A superb win playing with a near second string. Chamakh again got on the score sheet and it was good to see Wilshere get a goal as well. Stoke barely threatened and I had the freedom to put on youngster Ghidini for the last 20 minutes. Four clean sheets in a row now.

The big result came at Stamford Bridge where Chelsea won 1-0 over Man City. It gave us a 5 point lead at the top. Just to add more cherries to the cake. Spurs lost 2-1 at Anfield the day before.

Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd leg – ARSENAL 3-1 CHELSEA Van Persie 12 Koscielny 24 Walcott 81 - Mata 31

The last time Chelsea visited the Emirates they didn’t muster a single attempt. This time they managed 3 but it was never going to be enough to see them through. Arsenal managed 24 and should’ve added to the 3 they scored. Van Persie and Walcott swapped positions upfront and both scored. Walcott with a mazy run from the half way line and sensational finish that’s a goal of the tournament contender. Koscielny added to his tally again to set up a semi final with Barcelona.

Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd leg review

As already hinted, Barcelona went through 3-2 on aggregate after losing 1-0 in Madrid. Milan managed to beat Bayern 3-0 to book their semi final place. Marseille went the same way as Madrid. Winning the second leg 1-0 but bowing out on aggregate.

So the revised Semi Final draw is

Barcelona vs Arsenal

AC Milan vs Manchester City

FA Cup Semi-Final – SUNDERLAND 2-3 ARSENAL Owen 32 59 - Park 27 41 84

The semi final was a much tougher task than expected and although it wasn’t a full strength side it was still strong enough for a far more comfortable victory. Infact you could argue Sunderland deserved to win. Missing Gervinho Chamakh and Van Persie I was forced to pair two poachers upfront. First half saw Sunderland dominate and deservedly level through some guy called Michael Owen. Second half saw a more even contest which seemed set for extra time before Park completed his hattrick. He could’ve even added a fourth late on but sent clean through by Ramsey chipped his shot onto the roof of the net.

FA Cup Semi-Final Review–

In a game utterly dominated by Tottenham it was Chelsea that got the only goal. Ashley Young scoring it after 14 minutes.

Premier League – WOLVES 2-1 ARSENAL - Rodriguez 5 23 – Song 38

7 weeks after thrashing Wolves 7-0 in the Lague Cup final we suffered a 2-1 defeat. A draw would’ve been fairer but we put in a very lazy performance and never really looked like getting back onto it. A 13 game winning streak coming to an end. Granero and Arteta both picked up injuries. Graneros would see his season come to an end while Arteta would be a major doubt for the Barcelona first leg. Only blessing was Man City drawing meaning we still had a four point advantage.

Premier League – ARSENAL 4-0 SUNDERLAND - Van Persie 14 Park 22 Mertersacker 63 Schurrle 79

Van Persie returned and capped it with a fine goal as a completely different Sunderland turned up to the one we faced at Wembley. Both Mertersacker and Vertonghen took advantage of Vermaelens and Koscielnys rest to both put in commanding performances. 4 points the lead 4 games to go.

Champions League Semi-Final 1st leg review

A counter attacking Man City stunned AC Milan by winning 2-1 in the San Siro. Back to back finals beckon for them.

TOP SCORERS (all comps)

Park - 26

Van Persie - 20

Walcott – 14

Koscielny - 13

Schurrle - 12

Chamackh - 12

Granero - 6

AVERAGE RATINGS (all comps minimum 5 games)

Laurent Koscielny - 7.56

Robin Van Persie – 7.53

Chu-Young Park – 7.47

Per Mertersacker – 7.37

Jan Vertonghen – 7.34

-------------------------------

Thomas Vermaelen – 7.19

Theo Walcott - 7.18

Rene Adler – 7.07

LEAGUE TABLE

Wolves the only blip in an otherwise excellent month. City and Spurs dropping points was a huge bonus. United were winning but are too far behind.

1. Arsenal played 34 points 83

2. Man City played 34 points 79

3. Tottenham played 34 Points 78

4. Man United played 34 points 76

5. Chelsea played 34 points 64

--------------------------------

6. Liverpool played 34 points 63

GAME OF THE MONTH

A rather uninteresting month. Chelsea’s victory over man city would be the biggest highlight I guess.

CHELSEA 1-0 MANCHESTER CITY

Lampard 26 /-/

Shots 12 - 11

On Ta 7 - 3

Poss 53 - 47

PLAYER OF THE MONTH – Andre Schurrle

With the chopping and changing that took place as we battled in three competitions it was almost impossible to pick a player ogf the month. In the end I went for schurrle due to sheer consistency and the fact there were no other real candidates.

7.5(1)

NS

7.5(1)

STAT OF THE MONTH

Given the closeness of the league here is the top five head to head breakdown.

Man United 0-1 Man City

Chelsea 2-3 Tottenham

Man United 0-0 Chelsea

Man United 3-0 Tottenham

Man City 1-1 Arsenal

Chelsea 2-2 Arsenal

Man City 2-0 Chelsea

Tottenham 0-2 Arsenal

Arsenal 3-1 Man United

Man City 3-0 Tottenham

Man City 1-2 Man United

Tottenham 0-3 Chelsea

Chelsea 1-0 Man United

Tottenham 2-1 Man United

Arsenal 3-1 Man City

Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea

Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Still to come

Arsenal vs Tottenham

Tottenham vs Man City

Man United vs Arsenal

If there was a league table it would read

Arsenal Played 6 Points 14

Chelsea Played 8 Points 11

Man City Played 7 Points 10

Tottenham Played 6 Points 6

Man United Played 7 Points 7

MAY PREVIEW

May will be where the trophies are won and lost. I’m very confident of retaining the league although I hope to wrap it up before the visit to Old Trafford on the final day. Would be nice to against Spurs after failing last season. Having beaten Chelsea 3 times already this season The FA Cup final should come back to the Emirates but I won’t take it for granted. The Champions League will be a much tougher ask with a semi against Barcelona. However with the first leg in Spain I’m slightly more confident as long as we can get a decent result. Fingers crossed!

Here’s the league fixtures for the top 4 all gunning for the league

ARSENAL – Blackburn (h) Birmingham (a) Tottenham (h) Man United (a)

MAN CITY – Wolves (h) Blackburn (a) Birmingham (h) Tottenham (a)

TOTTENHAM – Bolton (a) Aston Villa (h) Arsenal (a) Man City (h)

MAN UNITED – West Brom (a) Bolton (h) Aston Villa (a) Arsenal (h)

Gooner83 - Some good, if expensive, signings. Keep us updated on your save and as to how Ross Barkley develops too. He's a player that has been interesting me of late but, at £23 million, I doubt a move will materialize. As for posting screenshots, read THIS :thup:

not a productive month then, shame

No, it was quite disappointing to say the least. We got off to a good start in the UEFA Champions League with a good win over LOSC Lille but, we somewhat went down hill after that. So far this month, we've done well.

Thanks Llew and agree i spent quite heavy but i generally do my spending in the first and second season and then develop the crp of youth around the big signings. I will also be continuing with the updates as and when i get to half season and end of seasons

unbelievable second sesaon!!

FA cup final 6-0 win against Fulham

Champs league final 4-2 win agaisnt Real Madrid

League title and the euro super cup.

and then there was this guy............

machinet.jpg

i've never had a striker score that many goals ever, he was a one man team and i only wonder if he could have goto 100 if he had managed the 9league games and CL 1/4s he missed.

all i need to do now is figure out how to win in liverpool and manchester. ill try do another post tomorow (more detailed review of the season) more worhty of this thread tomorow and i have no idea what my plans are for season 3.

edit i think ill sell arteta and arshavin and replace them with hopefully one of;

Ozil, hazard, ganso (both at man city), sneijder, pastore, marvin martin, hamsik or maybe even gotze, hulk, kroos or muller, ill prob end up going with who ever is cheapest out of all that.

League table:

2v01lrk.jpg

25 games in, 13 points clear at the top...

Starting 11s:

33u6aec.jpg

On the left is my 1st 11, on the right is my experimental/back-up/rotation/2nd 11.

Signings:

2cf33c.png

As you can see, I've been busy in the transfer market, bringing in players of top quality such as André Ayew, Sidney Sam, and Gylfi Sigurðsson whilst still being able to make a profit. As well as all this, I allowed Robert Pires, or Sir Bobby as us gooners like to call him,return on a 1k p/w deal. The main purpose of this deal was to lift the team and fans as well as let me keep him for when he retires and becomes a scout/coach. Now, for me, there was only one contender for signing of the season- Taras Stepanenko. The young Ukranian doesn't carry a hige reputation among the FM community, but he's a truly wonderful player to have. He has practically replaced song for me!

Just to let you guys know, Benik Afobe is a beast as an Advanced Forward. 9 goals in 6 games for me including a hat-trick in his champions league début against CSKA Moscow!

- Off-Topic:

So guys, what do you think's gonna happen this sunday? I, personally, think that a draw would be a wonderful result considering the majority of our first team is out.

we've left ourselves a lot to do, especially as worst case scenario this weekend we are 7th and 13 points behind tottenham. so i am very concerned right now. at least man utd are missing as many defenders and midfielders as we are!

we've left ourselves a lot to do, especially as worst case scenario this weekend we are 7th and 13 points behind tottenham. so i am very concerned right now. at least man utd are missing as many defenders and midfielders as we are!

I know... hoping to see Carrick at Centre-Half- always a weak link!

Had to share this

3rd round Carling Cup. I win 3 - 1 @ Bolton and have a peek around. West Brom put 2 past Chelsea and win and I was about to screenie it when I saw this

mancityresult.png

Wow @ the squad quality and I laughed! unlucky guys!

kieran... this is the arsenal thread? not sure why anybody would care in here about man city?

haha i was also going to post a strange man city result but i guess i won't........they beat inter 8-0 in my game.

@ Anxiietyyy that's a great prics for santos i can't even get rid of him on a free, i would have kept Djourou though he's been a rock for me.

i like the look of your second tactic i'm toying with the idea of playing two upfront for my 3rd season. it all really depends on what i want to do with RVP. i've decided he isnt fast enough to play as part of my front 3 and Vela has overtaken him as my 2nd choice striker, the poacher role i use for aguero also seems to work very well with Vela and it alows me to develop Sanogo there aswell. however i am considering doing a Giggs with RVP and moving him into mc i reckon he could do a job there, he's on far to much money not to be starting each week and he's not the type of player i want to offer out.

haha i was also going to post a strange man city result but i guess i won't........they beat inter 8-0 in my game.

@ Anxiietyyy that's a great prics for santos i can't even get rid of him on a free, i would have kept Djourou though he's been a rock for me.

i like the look of your second tactic i'm toying with the idea of playing two upfront for my 3rd season. it all really depends on what i want to do with RVP. i've decided he isnt fast enough to play as part of my front 3 and Vela has overtaken him as my 2nd choice striker, the poacher role i use for aguero also seems to work very well with Vela and it alows me to develop Sanogo there aswell. however i am considering doing a Giggs with RVP and moving him into mc i reckon he could do a job there, he's on far to much money not to be starting each week and he's not the type of player i want to offer out.

Play him as a Trequartista in the middle of a front 3. I'm sure it would work wonders! Him dropping off while Vela and Aguero make killer runs and RvP plays little intricate through balls to them. That sounds like it would work! I let Santos go in January, he is the first player in any FM that I've sold purely because of their attitude. I hated him, love him in real life though...

Amxiietyyy - Very impressive update. Well Done :thup:

You're doing very well in the league too, and I can only wish you luck for the rest of the season. Good signings like Sidney Sam and André Ayew will only enhance your chances of holding onto your mid-season league lead :)

Next up for me is United at The Emirates. If I come from the came with a victory, I could jump to the dizzy heights of second, providing some results go in our favour.

As I said in my above post, I had to tackle Manchester United at home. Whichever way you look at it, it's a big match regardless of league positions, injuries etc. Here's what happened;

arsenal31united.png

Delighted. It was always going to be a tough game but, with Wayne Rooney, Ashley Young and Nemanja Vidic all absent from the first XI, our chances were enhanced somewhat. Either way, to create 8 clear cut chances against a famed Sir Alex Ferguson defence is a great achievement if I do say so myself. More analysis on this game in my monthly update... :thup:Let's just pray that we can emulate this kind of performance tomorrow!

Crushingly bored at work earlier today, and with my home desktop system out of action I decided to install FM on my laptop. Started a game with a large database but only a few nations loaded in comparison to normal...at least till I see how the laptop copes. Starting with Brazil, Argentina, England, germany and Spain.

I asked the computer to choose a team for me but didn't go with the first option of a team in Argentina (already have an Internacional save on the desktop) so clicked the button again and got Arsenal...so figured 'What the hell'.

I was slightly surprised at the hefty budget of £43.5 million I was offered for a title challenge, but I've set about spending it to add a few faces to the squad. Haven't tried to offload too many players so far, only one or two faces I felt we could live without and would free up some of the wage budget. (Wanted to offload Squillaci, but he picked up an injury that will keep him out for the duration of the transfer window, and no clubs are willing to consider a deal till his injury clears up....I did try)

Running with fewer leagues than normal seems to have led to a few players being available cheaper than I would have thought, but also some strange offers for players (Man City making several offers for both Fabianski and Miyaichi)....Real Madrid offering £1.2 million for Manuel Almunia :eek: (and yes I snapped their hand off for it)

Transfers Out so far:

Almunia to Real Madrid for £1.2 million. Very surprised by the offer. originally offered him to clubs at £2.5 mill and got no takers. Few days later spotted the little 'Int' icon next to his name and offered him out again at the lower price and back came Madrid with an offer.

Andrey Arshavin to Man Utd for £9.5 million. After I decided that Andrey would be sacrificed to free up some wages I cheekily offered him to clubs for £15 mill, and Man Utd came back with that bid which was good enough for me.

Transfers In so far:

Andile Jali from Orlando Pirates for £350,000. South African central midfielder, developed into a real quality player on one of my other saves so I decided to snap him up early and have him available to cover for Ramsey, Arteta and Song.

Gylfi Sigurdsson from Hoffenheim for £8.5 million. Have tried on several other saves to sign the Icelandic free kick maestro, but never managed. So was determined to get in early this time.

Hervin Ongenda from PSG for £2.4 million. 16 year old striker that scouts recommended, 4 stars for potential.

Mbaye Niang from Caen for £6.75 million. Another 16 year old striker, but I've seen how this lad develops so figured it was worth the money to get him now.

Salvatore Bocchetti from Rubin Kazan for £14.5 million. Wanted to get Vermaelen the quality defensive partner he deserves and Bocchetti looks a class act. Strong in the air, great tackler, but also a good passer.

Vujadin Savic from Bordeaux for £3 million. Decided to take a gamble on the young Serbian centre back, and hope that being tutored by the likes of Vermaelen, Bocchetti and Mertsesacker help him develop into something special. Though wish I'd perhaps saved this money to put towards the fullback areas.

I also have a deal accepted to bring in Roberto Canella from Real Sporting to add cover at left back and a bid in with Barcelona for Martin Montoya to see if we can add back up for Sagna. Should there be anything left to spend after that then I may try to add another striker just in case, though so far Chamakh has started very well for me with 4 goals from 5 in pre-season and then 3 goals in 4 so far in competitive matches.

Ha! I was getting D****** by them before and they beat me this year so I though I would share some much needed laughs @ their expense on my save. they played a full squad and still lost. And off all the clubs in the pot, I got them next round .......

Transfer window just about to slam shut in the first summer, but managed to add three more players to the squad to cover both fullback positions and found enough to sign the 'just in case' striker I wanted.

Roberto Canella - 23 year old Spanish left back signed from Real Sporting for £4.7 million. His arrival is quite timely too, Gibbs has been sent to a specialist with a hip injury and will be out for about 2 months and then Santos picked up a knock in a 2-0 win over Spurs.

Atsudo Uchida - 23 year old Japanese right back signed from Schalke for £5.5 million. After Montoya turned us down I decided to make a bid for Uchida, with Miyaichi already at the club hopefully will help him settle quickly, and the board are happy with the revenue boost apparently.

Moussa Sow - 25 year old Senegalese striker. Signed from Lille for £9.75 million (£1 million upfront and £1million depending on goals scored, the rest over 48 months) looked at a few options here and decided Sow was the best choice. The Lille board decided our offer was too good to turn down.....maybe should have bid for Hazard instead.

BTW, particularly aimed at Llew because I know you have a key interest in youngsters and especially of good technical ability. Hvae a look at Dennis Praet of Anderlecht, will suit Arsenal's passing style brilliantly and with the facilities and right guidance can become real quality

DandyDon - Welcome to the Arsenal thread and good luck with your save :thup:

You've done well in the transfer market too. Roberto Canella, Salvatore Bochetti & Moussa Sow should add some much needed depth to the squad. I'm sure the signing of Sow will prove to be a good one as the season progresses. With RVP likely to pick up an injury or two, it's vital that you can still rely on a good striker to score the goals in his absence | Keep us updated on your save too :D

Monthly Update coming up soon, before I might return to my Gladbach save for a while.

EDIT: Yes, I've been looking at him ReggaeBwoy. He looks to be a good little player, as does Filip Jankovic of Red Star Belgrade :thup:

BTW, particularly aimed at Llew because I know you have a key interest in youngsters and especially of good technical ability. Hvae a look at Dennis Praet of Anderlecht, will suit Arsenal's passing style brilliantly and with the facilities and right guidance can become real quality

Looks pretty good, thanks for that. Could come in handy as back-up for Sigurdsson, Wilshere and Ramsey in the future...

Definitely looks good. Would be tempted had I not signed but super youth from Ajax Jensen. NIANG is a beast btw guys. With Walcott injured he was and still is insane!

niangform.png

I will post a proper update soon x

DandyDon - Welcome to the Arsenal thread and good luck with your save :thup:

You've done well in the transfer market too. Roberto Canella, Salvatore Bochetti & Moussa Sow should add some much needed depth to the squad. I'm sure the signing of Sow will prove to be a good one as the season progresses. With RVP likely to pick up an injury or two, it's vital that you can still rely on a good striker to score the goals in his absence | Keep us updated on your save too :D

Monthly Update coming up soon, before I might return to my Gladbach save for a while.

EDIT: Yes, I've been looking at him ReggaeBwoy. He looks to be a good little player, as does Filip Jankovic of Red Star Belgrade :thup:

Cheers Llew, quite happy with the spending overall. Got in 9 players altogether, all with their best years ahead of them and have options in most areas of the pitch now. Now just have to hope for a nice run of games for RVP.

Jinxed damn ye, jinxed!!!! Spoke too soon there Llew, RVP crocked on international duty already :rolleyes: Just days after Sow arrived, looks like he's going to be leading the line sooner than I thought.

Cheers Llew, quite happy with the spending overall. Got in 9 players altogether, all with their best years ahead of them and have options in most areas of the pitch now. Now just have to hope for a nice run of games for RVP.

Jinxed damn ye, jinxed!!!! Spoke too soon there Llew, RVP crocked on international duty already :rolleyes: Just days after Sow arrived, looks like he's going to be leading the line sooner than I thought.

Sorry! :o Anyway, at least you have a good player who can deputise in his absence. With Sow's pace and cool approach in front of goal, it may rip most Premier League defences apart, especially with the passing ability from our midfield :thup:

I've decided that I'm going to carry on with this save now for a while. Was contemplating on switching back to my M'Gladbach save but, with new faces in this thread, I'm going to stick around for a prolonged spell. Hoping to get a Monthly Update on here soon :)

Hey,

Extremely long-time lurker of the Arsenal thread (in its many incarnations) and have followed you guys and your updates intently :) However, one man has drawn me into finally posting here, and that man is Aaron Ramsey. How do youlads get him to perform? I play him next to Song, in a 4-2-3-1 behind an AMC, two IFs (Mario Gotze is wonderful on the left!) and RVP. Have Rambo set as a Box-to-Box midfielder but toying with the idea of making him a Deep Lying Playmaker due to his great passing and mental stats. He hasn't got a rating higher than 6.9 in my game so far and pales in comparison to the rest of my squad.

Also, what are people's experiences with Chelsea's Nathan Ake? Looks to be a promising CB at 16 years old and on my game he is unsettled at injury-ravaged Chelsea, who are 8th and have sacked AVB in favour of a returning Jose Mourinho..

S

Hey,

Extremely long-time lurker of the Arsenal thread (in its many incarnations) and have followed you guys and your updates intently :) However, one man has drawn me into finally posting here, and that man is Aaron Ramsey. How do youlads get him to perform? I play him next to Song, in a 4-2-3-1 behind an AMC, two IFs (Mario Gotze is wonderful on the left!) and RVP. Have Rambo set as a Box-to-Box midfielder but toying with the idea of making him a Deep Lying Playmaker due to his great passing and mental stats. He hasn't got a rating higher than 6.9 in my game so far and pales in comparison to the rest of my squad.

Also, what are people's experiences with Chelsea's Nathan Ake? Looks to be a promising CB at 16 years old and on my game he is unsettled at injury-ravaged Chelsea, who are 8th and have sacked AVB in favour of a returning Jose Mourinho..

S

Play ramsey as an Advanced Playmaker > Attack from the CM position. Plenty of assists from him.

Sorry! :o Anyway, at least you have a good player who can deputise in his absence. With Sow's pace and cool approach in front of goal, it may rip most Premier League defences apart, especially with the passing ability from our midfield :thup:

That's what I'm hoping for, as long as things go a little better for him than they did in Senegal's first match in the ACN last night :p

Finished off last night stumbling to a 1-0 win over QPR, despite dominating the match we had to rely on a 30 screamer from ALEX Diminitri Song BILLONG to grab the win. Obviously with the various new arrivals and formations it's taking a little while for the squad to really click into gear. Also had three players making their debuts in the game so not too surprising we were a little disjointed.

The result did mean we're unbeaten so far in the league and the only points dropped were in a hard fought 0-0 draw up at Goodison, and we qualified comfortably for the Champions League after drawing Danish side Odense Boldklub in the qualifying round. Highpoint so far was the 2-0 win over Spurs at the Emirates with goals from Yossi Benayoun (who's made a very useful start for me, mostly filling in at AML position) and Gylfi, plus a MoM performance from Theo to set up both goals.

Just requested the board for a new feeder club, and they've given me some pretty good choices but unsure on who to go for, recomendations?

Rangers

Hearts

Celtic

Spartak Moscow

Hibs

Who would everyone choose and why?

Has anyone had any success with playing RvP as an Inside Forward at either AML or AMR?

He is listed as 'accomplished' (albeit not natural like CF) and seems to have the necessary stats but he is just not doing much of anything there.

Any thoughts or tips from anyone??

DandyDon - Yeah. Senegal were poor last night. Although, I'm sure FM Moussa Sow will provide a wealth of goals for you :D

Seems as if you've started the competitive campaign well, too. Well Done on that 2-0 win over The Spuds too. Always nice to beat them, whatever their situation :thup:

Just requested the board for a new feeder club, and they've given me some pretty good choices but unsure on who to go for, recomendations?

Rangers

Hearts

Celtic

Spartak Moscow

Hibs

Who would everyone choose and why?

Personally, I would choose Spartak Moscow. With an affiliated club within Russia, it may boost merchandise revenue with new-found supporters of the club aswell as having a good outlet to send aspiring first-team players on loan to.

Has anyone had any success with playing RvP as an Inside Forward at either AML or AMR?

He is listed as 'accomplished' (albeit not natural like CF) and seems to have the necessary stats but he is just not doing much of anything there.

Any thoughts or tips from anyone??

In my opinion, it would only be achievable if you signed a new striker to lead the line. With someone like Park Chu-Young up front, who isn't renowned for his prolific goalscoring tallies, you can't rely on RVP to bag you 20+ goals a season from wide areas :thup:

Personally, I would choose Spartak Moscow. With an affiliated club within Russia, it may boost merchandise revenue with new-found supporters of the club aswell as having a good outlet to send aspiring first-team players on loan to.

I was thinking them but wasn't sure of the pros for the 2 Scottish giants, thankyou :thup:

In my opinion, it would only be achievable if you signed a new striker to lead the line. With someone like Park Chu-Young up front, who isn't renowned for his prolific goalscoring tallies, you can't rely on RVP to bag you 20+ goals a season from wide areas :thup:

^ This. Depending on how much money you have left, but I used both Walcott and Abel Hernandez (signed in January and scored 30 goals!) in the striker position with van Persie on the right and Walcott/Forehead on the left to great effect.

I was thinking them but wasn't sure of the pros for the 2 Scottish giants, thankyou :thup:

^ This. Depending on how much money you have left, but I used both Walcott and Abel Hernandez (signed in January and scored 30 goals!) in the striker position with van Persie on the right and Walcott/Forehead on the left to great effect.

DandyDon - Yeah. Senegal were poor last night. Although, I'm sure FM Moussa Sow will provide a wealth of goals for you :D

Seems as if you've started the competitive campaign well, too. Well Done on that 2-0 win over The Spuds too. Always nice to beat them, whatever their situation :thup:

Sorry, I should have added I am in season 2 and have purchased Cavani. RvP was injured at start of season and Cavani has been brilliant so I am loathe to move him out to AMR, although I appreciate he is also listed as being an AMR. I think RvP has better stats for the IF position but as I say, it doesn't seem to be working so welcome any suggestions...

Being the traitorous wretch that I am, I have initiated an Arsenal save(to go alongside my Gladbach, Koln and Montpellier ones lol).

I'm presuming RVP as trequarista in a 4-2-3-1 is the right thing to do here? Ramsey DLP alongside Ball-winner Song, and Gervinho(IF), Arteta(ADV.P), Walcott(IF)...

Sorry, I should have added I am in season 2 and have purchased Cavani. RvP was injured at start of season and Cavani has been brilliant so I am loathe to move him out to AMR, although I appreciate he is also listed as being an AMR. I think RvP has better stats for the IF position but as I say, it doesn't seem to be working so welcome any suggestions...

Yeah, Cavani is undeniabley your CF. Perhaps a change of formation to acommodate RVP so he is more central? What about just behind Cavani as an IF, rather than wide, or a trequarista behind Cavani?

Pre-Season went well. Due to no transfers and a reasonable knowledge of squad, i sped through it. I drew Udinese in the CL playoff, which will be friggin tough but there ya go!

i quite like the idea of a challenge in the UCL play offs, I rarely get much of a challenge - so i quite envy your draw of Udinese

Can anyone help me with my left back position , I'm unsure who I should be playing as first choice , both Gibbs and Santos have been rotated heavily so far in my first season (4 months in) due to injury,suspensions and the odd defensive mistake.

I don't really rate either , but until the summer I would like to stick with them so I need to know who should be first choice and which player should be sold in the summer for me to bring in someone better??

Some of you guys may have had better luck with them but it seems to be an area in my team that looks the weakest and most exploited.

cheers

Can anyone help me with my left back position , I'm unsure who I should be playing as first choice , both Gibbs and Santos have been rotated heavily so far in my first season (4 months in) due to injury,suspensions and the odd defensive mistake.

I don't really rate either , but until the summer I would like to stick with them so I need to know who should be first choice and which player should be sold in the summer for me to bring in someone better??

Some of you guys may have had better luck with them but it seems to be an area in my team that looks the weakest and most exploited.

cheers

Personally, I would move Santos on. He does have some strengths, such as free kicks and technique etc but, although he is far from perfect himself I think Gibbs has more tools to play left back. Also, he is younger and has more opportunity to improve (no idea on his PA/CA stats) and he also helps with the HG player status quota when picking league and european squads.

In terms of a quality replacement, I went for Balzaretti at Palermo. He is very good defensively and also has a couple of little bonus stats such as crossing and long throws which are up beyond 15.

Only slight issue is that he is 28 at the start of the game and doesn't come very cheap - I bought him first summer for £11mil so there may be cheaper and or younger options around. You may also want to consider Sime Vrsaljko (not sure on spelling) he is a great RB and I have seen others who have retrained him as a LB quite easily.

In my save, I am monitoring a young Spaniard called César Azpilicueta who I believe plays at Marseille as he looks a great shout for the future. Also, have a look at a young Argentinian called Christian Ansaldi. He is very good but seems to end up at Inter quite often so that ship may have sailed.

All else fails, Leighton Baines is a great player but can be up to £20mil.

Good luck!

PS - I am far from an expert so others may have better suggestions.

hi

thanks for the info.

I will perhaps look at selling on Santos in the summer then , by the way I'm also scouting Balzaretti in my game ,my scouts have valued him at 11.5m , he has also been playing very well in serie a and is on the shortlist for Italian player of the year.

The only sticking point is that he is 29 and would cost double figures , but it looks like he may be worth that and he would bring a lot of experience to the team?

Also there is young left back at Reading who is 19 and is rated very highly by my scouts as a definant purchase , his first name is Jack , cant remember his full name now! , Im sure others know who I mean

2011/12 - Season Update - Sow Sow progress

:p

With transfers out of the way I've started making some progress through the fixtures after a late finish at work. I've not done anything too original in terms of tactics, plumping for a fairly standard 4-2-3-1 as our main formation. Using a deep lying playmaker (generally Arteta or Ramsey) in central midfield alongside a ball winner and then Sigurdsson ahead of them playing as a trequartista. In defence Vermaelen and Bocchetti are the first choice central partnership in front of Sir Chesney in goal.

Due to injury I haven't had much chance to play RVP upfront, and some small niggling injuries mean that I've had to rotate Gervinho, Walcott, Benayoun and Rosicky in the AMR/L positions so far. Our form has been pretty decent once the season got underway and barring one fairly bizarre match we've been fairly solid defensively while creating plenty chances.

arsenalfixturesfixtures.png

As you can see it hasn't take Moussa Sow long to find his shooting boots for us and he seems to be forming a good understanding with Gylfi especially. The Chelsea game was pretty bizarre where we found ourselves 3-1 down after 51 minutes, but turned the game on it's head to take a 4-3 lead going into the final minute. Lampard won a penalty on 89 minutes only for it to be saved, annoyingly we then switched off at the ensuing corner to let Salomon Kalou in to tap home an equaliser.

englishpremierdivisionoo.png

Despite beating Spurs in the league and the League Cup the two draws mean we're sitting just behind them in the table so far. Hopefully if we keep the form up though it won't be too long before we can overtake them.

2011/12 Season Update - October to December

Not sure if I killed the thread or if all the regulars were too depressed by real life events at the Emirates to bother with FM, but figured I might as well update progress on my save so far.

The Results

arsenalfixturesfixturesi.png

Going into October we were trailing Spurs at top of the table by a solitary point. Despite drawing games we should have won against both Newcastle and Man City (the City result was especially annoying as defensive lapses allowed Nasri to equalise twice from near identical crosses), their form dipped enough that we were able to leapfrog them in the table.

Unfortunately those draws meant that Man utd were able to leapfrog both of us to the top of the table and leaving us in 2nd place going into December. Despite poor performances against Wolves and Fulham we stayed close behind Utd as our first match against them drew closer. We probably should have lost the match to Wolves as the whole side seemed totally off colour, but we should have buried Fulham long before Senderos equalised in the 85th minute.

We arrived at Old Trafford for the our last match of 2011 on the back of a nice result against Bolton and an outstanding performce from Gylfi, scoring 4 and setting up the other. Both sides were unbeaten in the league, but we'd had one more draw than Utd, and their defence had been far more stingy, only conceding 5 goals by that point.

On the day however it was our defence who enabled us to grab a vital win, restricting Utd to a number of speculative efforts from outside the box for most of the 90 minutes while we grabbed a 2 goallead with some nice counter attacking football.The second goal was especially nice with the two fullbacks combining, Canella taking a throw in to Benayoun before playing a 1-2 with the Van Persie and whipping a cross to the back post where Sagna arrived to glance a header home. Utd finally managed to break through our backline to score a goal through Fletcher, but it took them 92 minutes to do so and was only a consolation.

January Transfer Window

The result at Old Trafford meant we were top of the table at New Year and the board offered me the chance to reconsider our seasons expectations. I decided to keep them the same, but they still increased our remaining budget for the season to £24.5 million. With players leaving for the ACN various injuries and malcontented fringe players, I've decided that I'm going to use that money and reinforce as we have a serious chance of silverware. We have a very winnable League cup semi final against Stoke and sit top of the table so I don't want to see our chances derailed by a lack of squad depth at crucial times.

I'd like to add a strong ball winning midfielder to provide competition for Alex Song (both Frimpong and Coquelin are injured), another left back as both Gibbs and Santos are proving horribly injury prone, and a good winger.

The players who've been complaining about lack of games will be moved on, if possible, so Marouane Chamakh and Abou Diaby have been transfer listed along with Squillaci. I have some firm interest in Chamakh and if it works out I may try to bring in Kolbeinn Sigporsson as an extra striker to compete with Van Persie and Sow.

So far I've had a bid accepted for Diego Perotti of Sevilla who can play at AMR or AML and I'm waiting on a response from Lyon to my bid for Aly Cissokho. Have a few targets in mind for the midfield position, but I'm waiting to see how much success we have selling some of the transfer listed players before I make a move there.

A little bit of both ;) nah I kid, the real life result put me In a coma

A little bit of both ;) nah I kid, the real life result put me In a coma

I wasn't sure if it'd be the result, or all the hoo-hah over THAT substitution.

Anyways, Perotti and Cissokho signed, Sigporsson the idiot chose to go to Lyon on loan rather than us and Diaby is off to Bremen on loan with an option to make the deal permanent. Chamakh's agreed to sign for Liverpool but we have to keep paying him £9.25k a week :rolleyes: