FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

Ok guys, dilemma!

First season Jan window, and Otamendi wants to leave Porto. City have bid £13M for him so are kinda forcing my hand here.

Do I sign this guy and get rid of Mertesacker?

Edit: City offered him stupid money anyway..

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to sell an academy produced future star as clicking on his attributes made my game have a crash dump :(

pre 2019/20 season update: All the old stars ill be leaving for free's next year, so attempting to bring In some new faces, signing a new brazilian defender, snapped up Ronaldo on a free (too late for Ronaldo + Messi magic?) ;) and I'm also looking at a new striker to cover for the injury prone Wickham.

Hows Ryo developing for you? I am getting a 7.5 mil offers from Real and ManU, i am kinda tempted to sell him, cause he looks like a gamble to me..

He is better on some saves than others but he will never become a world class player (at least not on this version). It's still worth it to develop him well as he will net you a good transfer fee and he might perform really well for you but he will probably never be more than backup at Arsenal imo.

How much do you guys recommend getting Walcott to place shots. Just wondering whether he would be much better with that PPM.

For me he has been really good in the first season without getting him to learn this although this could be due to the large improvements in finishing and composure to 14 each.

How much do you guys recommend getting Walcott to place shots. Just wondering whether he would be much better with that PPM.

For me he has been really good in the first season without getting him to learn this although this could be due to the large improvements in finishing and composure to 14 each.

Personally I haven't and I don't regret it. Without the PPM he will chose himself whether it's best to place the shot or shoot with power. With the PPM he will be more likely to chose the former. With Walcotts low decisions stat it might be helpful to guide him towards one type if it's better in most situations for him but I couldn't tell which one would be better for him. I play him on the right and he gets plenty of chances with his right foot from a tight angle. In those cases the only thing he can do is power it past the GK (preferably into the top of the goal so it goes in off the bar :p). If he would put in a placed shot in those situations he would have no chance whatsoever to beat the GK. Other times he gets a more direct one on one with the GK in which case it's safer for him to place it. If you play him on the left or up front it might be better for him to place his shots in most situations but then again he can probably figure that out himself.

Personally I wouldn't recommend due to his low technique. To pull of placed shots I suppose one needs to have higher technique (in EPL =>16). Also like what Marsupian said, a lot will depend on which angle he's coming from. If he plays down the right (he does for me and for most members here), placing shots PPM will not be an ideal for him.

Right, finally starting my new game which is going to be my last Arsenal save on FM12.

As in real life, I believe Arsenal need cover for Song at DM and I don't think Frimpong/Coquelin are quite there just yet.

My scouts reckon Van Bommel is a good answer. Cheap but wants 110K for 2 years - anyone had any success with him? Or recommend another DM?

Coquelin has been a rock for me, Song got injured on international duti so frimpong came in but got injured, so it was down to the Coquelin.

after installing him as my DMC i didnt concede for 5 games in a row. So imo hes good enough cover for song.

I like Coquelin and Frimpong - I think they are both excellent young prospects and need game time to improve

On my save Coquelin sadly only had the potential to become just as good as Song :(. Frimpong didn't even have the potential to reach that level so he went on loan and got sold later on. Coquelin is playing backup and he gets a fair amount of games but he has Song and Fellaini in front of him and I don't think he will be the one to replace Song in the future.

Season 2:

GK: Woj, Fabianski and some Romanian keeper

DR:Sagna, Schwaab

DC:TV, Koscielny, Mertesacker and Djourou

DL: Angel, Gibbs

M(DLPs): Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey,Labyad

M(CMd):Song, Coquelin, Crestig

M(CMa):Eriksen, Wilshere, Ramsey Granero, Labyad

Widemen:Walcott,Gervinho, Reus, Granero, Johnson

Striker: RVP, Erick Torres, Park

Some odd signings in there such as Adam Johnson and Crestig who was unnecessary. Interestingly Everton have spent big on my game bringing in Hazard, Ruiz and Hulk amongst others.

end of my season ends with me finishing as runners up to man city due to a) being 3 goals short of them and b) defenders not doing what real defenders do and thats closing down the lone striker when running one on one to the goalie, bloody idiot. so thats ruined that season. Had 2 games left, against 4th placed chelsea and 9th placed west ham, city had to play 18th placed bristol city and 12th placed newcastle.

I drew 1-1 with Chelsea conceding a late crappy goal, and then city screw up by drawing against newcastle on the last game of the season. very annoyed

Well, got my career off the ground so I decided to do an Arsenal save. Doing what I wish the club would do in real life and sign some quality, though I've basically gobbled up all the best young players. Brought in Hazard and Neymar on 36 month deals for an absurd amount, then bought Otamendi for his 13mil release clause, Badelj and Vrsaljko from Dinamo for only 7.7m total, and Bruma from Sporting for 2m. Shipped Arshavin to City for 15, Djourou to Malaga for 8, Almunia to Inter for 2, and Park to PSG on a season long loan for 750k.

Thus far the team has been dominant, though I haven't played any other top clubs. Got drawn with Villareal, Napoli, and Ajax in the CL, so we'll see how that goes.

Coquelin has been a rock for me, Song got injured on international duti so frimpong came in but got injured, so it was down to the Coquelin.

after installing him as my DMC i didnt concede for 5 games in a row. So imo hes good enough cover for song.

Thanks very much! I will keep the faith!

Poor Wenger :(

I also won the european championship with England, then retired from the job :cool: So many former/current Arsenal players were In the team :)

Jay Emanuel Thomas, Walcott, Wilshere, Griffin (regen) gibbs and Wickham :D

What do you guys do with Chu-Young?

The first season he was second pick for the AML spot behind Gervinho. I like to rotate every game so that basically means he played half the games for me. His role was advanced playmaker (attack). Second season he got shipped for around 5-7 mil and I got a young replacement in the form of Erik Lamela. Chu-Young is definitively not good enough to keep on the long term if you want to improve the team but he put in consistent good performances for me so no need to sell him in the first season imo.

guys if anyone wants a really good tactical discussion or to have a look at my brutal annihilation at the hands of man utd in my last save and see my tactical errors so you can learn from my mistakes then take a look at my thread in the tactics forum

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/292397-How-to-beat-Man-Utd-please-add-your-info

worth a look, and you may learn a lot from it, i have too

The first season he was second pick for the AML spot behind Gervinho. I like to rotate every game so that basically means he played half the games for me. His role was advanced playmaker (attack). Second season he got shipped for around 5-7 mil and I got a young replacement in the form of Erik Lamela. Chu-Young is definitively not good enough to keep on the long term if you want to improve the team but he put in consistent good performances for me so no need to sell him in the first season imo.

Alright cheers, think I'll use a similar plan. I like him but as you say he's really not world class, he lacks the dribbling skills to be great at AMC/AML and his finishing skills are far too poor for him to ever be considered up front.

I'm using him as 3rd choice striker, as I know I'll be getting injuries.

I wasn't planning on any/many transfers on my new save, couple of youngsters maybe, but I was struck with 2 long term injuries to Arteta and Walcott in pre-season, so I had to make contingency plans (Chamakh was to be loaned out but for Theo's injury).

I'm using a data update with some ca/pa changes, plus a couple of my own (Jenkinson and few other Arsenal changes) btw.

In came Yassine Benzia from Lyon for £1.6m, and I was happy at that. But then came the injuries. So in came Esteban Granero on a season loan, Kiko Femenia on a season loan (both with a view to buy) and Anthony Mounier for £4.5m from Nice.

Arshavin, Rosicky and Mannone left, while Frimpong went out on loan.

Well.

Really enyoying playing with aresenal.Using a 433 formation as my standard formation and 4231 when i want goals. top of the prem but not realy scoring loads of goal, I´m concentrating on defence on match prep. Conceding very little. 15 points in champions as well. It´s 20 dec 1st season, I´m about to meet man city. nervous=)

gk: kameni, sweeper keeper

rb: sagna, vrsaljko, wingback support

cb: vermaelen, koscielny stopper

cd: verthongen, mertesacker cover

lb: cissokho, gibbs wingback support

dm: song, frimpong ancor man

cm: arteta, ramsey adv.pm. attack

cm: ayew, badelj adv.pm. support

rm: gervinho inside forward att, until walcott is back

lm: park chu young inside forward att

st: rvp, chamakh deeplyingforward

My team is falling apart at the end of the first season, in April, lost the home leg in the UCL Semi 3-2 to Real, was leading the prem and only 1 point from 6 against Wolves and Blackburn, so it looks like we'll be trophyless again also Arteta and Wilshere both out till the end of season

My team is falling apart at the end of the first season, in April, lost the home leg in the UCL Semi 3-2 to Real, was leading the prem and only 1 point from 6 against Wolves and Blackburn, so it looks like we'll be trophyless again also Arteta and Wilshere both out till the end of season

I crumbled at the end of the first season aswell, keep your chin up! :D

If you are crumbling end of season make sure you don't put pressure on your team in the media, don't tell them you expect wins etc, and use team meetings to focus your side.

My Arsenal save is now in 2017, and Aaron Ramsey's attributes are phenomenal. For some reason, however, I can't seem to get the most out of him -- his average rating hovers around low-7's, he's almost never the man of the match, doesn't score, and gets very few assists. I use him in a 4-3-3 with a flat 3 in midfield, two wingers and a striker. Of my 3 MC's, he is set as an advanced playmaker (alternating between support and attack). My team has been playing extremely well for several seasons now, and my other mids always seem to do great things at Ramsey's position (Wilshere, Thiago, Alan Dzagoev, etc.). What's up with this guy? His attributes look like he should be the next Iniesta or Xavi, but he sure doesn't act like it on the pitch.

Recently I'm trying to retrain him as an AMC. I've slightly altered my formation to use an AMC instead of the MC AP, so while he trains up I use him at one of the two MC slots and set him to swap position with the AMC. My thinking here is that maybe if he's farther forward he'll be more involved in the attack...

What have people done to get him involved?

New Season 2

PRE SEASON

Pre-Season was badly affected by the Olympics, under 19s world cup and Injuries to Vertonghen and Van Persie. Van Persie would miss the first two months of the season after breaking his ankle. Vertonghen for the whole of pre season. We then picked up a couple more on the way with Koscielny missing the first month and Miyachi a few weeks as well.

What it did do was give me a chance to see some of the youngsters and every single squad member that I wanted to keep got their chance over the course of the games.

Nobody took it better than Mark Bevin. A young 16 year old I only played because he hadn’t had a chance yet. 4 goals and a man of the match rating of 9.8 made me astonished at how good he was. Although not highly rated by the coaches I will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

TRANSFERS

So firstly to a very busy summer of Transfers

INS

I was crying out for a left winger and given that Di Maria and Goetze were not available for other than stupid amounts (110million!!!) I opted for someone a little less known. Rene Adler was the other big signing although he cost nothing. I was looking forward to seeing Carlos Fierro having heard good reports from a lot of fm12 players. Real offered me Jese for 925k and I thought I would take a gamble on him for that price. He has a season to impress me. Robbie Cotton was another who was available for nothing so I thought again I would give him a season to see how he does.

All the others are highly rated regens. Ghidini cost a bit for a 16 year old but he does have a 41/2* rating and I thought it was justified. He will start in the reserves but I will monitor how he does and see if I can give him chances in the first team. I’m excited by the prospect of Nobili who is a left back. Looks a great prospect.

Andre Schurrle - 14.5m

Mario Ghidini (Regen) - 6m

Lee Guest (Regen) - 1.8

Mirco Nobili (Regen) 1.5

Carlos Fierro - 1.3m

Jacabo Perez (Regen) - 1m

Jese – 925k

Liam Martin – (Regen) 250k

Rene Adler – Free

Robbie Cotton – Free

OUTS

No fewer than 19 players left on a Free Transfer. It may be more as the season progresses and I will be looking to make sure all my new signings get cvhances to play. Frimpong was my only difficult decision. I just felt with Crisetig and a few others coming through I could let him go.

I didn’t really care about the money side so just settled for cheap prices for the five that left for money. I still rejected big offers for my other players but these were the ones I wanted to let go.

All the others were loans. I tried to get rid of Denilson, Santos and Coquelin but nobody wanted them. Bizarrely, Joseph Campbell refused to go on loan despite not having a work permit.

Rosicky – All Free

Arshavin

Miquel

Bothelo

Hajrovic

Shea

Neita

Yennaris

Boateng

Frimpong

Brislen-Hall

Monteiro

Fagan

Angha

McDermott

Henderson

Meade

G. Hoyte

Watt

Diaby – 5m

Fabianski – 4m

Djourou – 3m

Squillaci – 500k

Ozyakup – 170k

Coquelin – All Loan

Bendtner

Santos

Denilson

Galindo

Wellington

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

My first team squad for the season.

Adler – Szczesny

Baines – Gibbs

Sagna - Vrsaljko

Vermaelen – Vertonghen - Bartley

Koscielny - Mertersaker

Schurrle – Granero - Jese

Gervinho - Chamberlain

Arteta – Ramsey - Lansbury

Song - Wilshere

Van Persie - Chamackh

Walcott – Park - Vela

As far as the matches were concerned there was just one blip. A pre-Season tour to Germany ended with great results against Stuttgart and Frankfurt. Was rather disappointed with Numberg but was just an off day.

CRYSTAL PALACE 0-5 ARSENAL Park 7 61 Granero 12 36 Gervinho 16

NURNBERG 1-0 ARSENAL – Pekhart 11

HOFFENHEIM 1-3 ARSENAL – ibisevic 84 – Lansbury 45 Chamackh 56 Koscielny 61

FRANKFURT 1-4 ARSENAL – Shutz 18 – Bevin 24 45 63 79

STUTTGART 0-1 ARSENAL – Chamackh 40

LEICESTER CITY 1-3 ARSENAL – Dyer 62 Konchesky 25 – Jese 37 Mertersaker 56 Schurrle 73

The Emirates Cup

SF - ARSENAL 2-0 MONACO – A. Campbell 6 Schurrle 72

A very comfortable start to the Emirates cup with an easy win against Monaco. Fierro had a lively debut off the bench but it was Adam Campbell and Shurrle that provided the goals.

SF - ARSENAL 0-0 INTERNACIONAL

arsenal win 4-3 on Penalties

I wanted to play Dortmund to see Mario Goetze first hand put they lost on Penalties so it was to be Internacional. It would have been a bit unjust for International to shootout there way to the cup and thankfully we won on penalties after dominating the whole game and restricting them to just a single attempt on target. I feared the worst with the takers being; Baines, Jese, Kishna Jenkinson and Koscielny as all the main players were either subbed or not involved but other than Kishna they all scored and secured a second consecutive Emirates Cup.

AUGUST

Community Shield – ARSENAL 0-0 CHELSEA

Arsenal win 4-2 on penalties

It was very annoying to be missing the Great Britain quintuplet due to “Travelling” for the game. On top of that Van Persie, Koscielny and Vertonghen were also missing meaning debuts for Schurrle and Adler plus an appearance on the bench for Barley Lansbury and Fierro. Chelsea never really got going in the game and we dominated throughout just being unable to ripple the back of the net. The game went to Penalties and for the second game in a row we managed to win.

Granero Benayoun

Baines Kalou

Chamackh A. Cole

Vela Meireles

Schurrle

Premier League – LIVERPOOL 2-1 ARSENAL – Vargas 13 Suarez 64 – Schurrle 66

A trip to Anfield was hardly the ideal fixture to kick off the campaign. Liverpool took an early lead and after that the game was pretty even they were just more penetrative in front of goal. Disappointed to lose on the opening day but at least there is still 37 games to go. Importantly United and Chelsea also both lost. Just means an unbeaten season will have to wait for another year.

Premier League – ARSENAL 1-0 FULHAM – Arteta 45pen

Got out first 3 points with an easy win against Fulham at Emirates. Was just one of those games where we couldn’t score and in the end it was settled by a calmly taken Arteta penalty.

OTHER NEWS

Great Briton won the Olympic gold. I managed the team to a final win against Uruguay 3-1. No less than 5 Arsenal players were involved.

Pat Rice retired meaning Valter Di Salvo came in as assistant manager

Guus Hiddink became Barcelona manager after Guadiola took over Spain. I considered applying for both but have unfinished business with Arsenal.

We drew Reading away in the League cup 3rd Round. All the big boys avoided eachother although Spurs face a trick trip to Fulham

We drew Lyon, Ajaz and Acopel in the Champions League group stages

Archived