Sports Interactive Community
Fabio MVP

FM 2012: Player Role & Duty Thread - Offering You The Best Possible Advices!

At least 90% of posts in this thread were correctly written. Anyway that player isn't in my save game, so I don't know how he looks. That's why I can't help you. If you post an SS of him then I just might. :D

If you think the majority of posts are correctly written that's fair enough.

Ekdal is a Swedish international who plays for Cagliari in Serie A, so I thought he would have been on the majority of peoples game sorry. I will post a screenie when I get home as I'm in work at the moment.

If you think the majority of posts are correctly written that's fair enough.

Ekdal is a Swedish international who plays for Cagliari in Serie A, so I thought he would have been on the majority of peoples game sorry. I will post a screenie when I get home as I'm in work at the moment.

I loaded about 50000 players and he isn't in my save game and I'm in the third season. I'll wait for your SS. :)

I loaded about 50000 players and he isn't in my save game and I'm in the third season. I'll wait for your SS. :)

Here you go:

ekdalj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

His high passing and creativity stats make me think I should train him up to try through balls often, although his decision making is high also, so I'm wondering if there's any real need to give him traits? He's doing alright with me, but I just think he should be doing a lot better, he's averaging just over a 7 rating now mind. I have him set as centre midfield - attacking.

Here you go:

ekdalj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

His high passing and creativity stats make me think I should train him up to try through balls often, although his decision making is high also, so I'm wondering if there's any real need to give him traits? He's doing alright with me, but I just think he should be doing a lot better, he's averaging just over a 7 rating now mind. I have him set as centre midfield - attacking.

I think the problem is that you want him to dictate the game while he has AMC who is playmaker in front of him. That's the problem. He also tends to drift out wide because you have no wingers and you already have a playmaker who is in a more advanced position, so that makes him go out wide to look for space from where he could operate. Whatever role and duty you select for him he still won't do what you want from him as long as he has that AMC in front of him to be the main creator. No doubt Ekdal has great attributes for a playmaker, so you might want to consider removing that AMC and see how it goes. A for PPM's I'd suggest: Tries killer balls, Looks rather for pass then shot, Dictates tempo and Runs with ball through the center.

I think the problem is that you want him to dictate the game while he has AMC who is playmaker in front of him. That's the problem. He also tends to drift out wide because you have no wingers and you already have a playmaker who is in a more advanced position, so that makes him go out wide to look for space from where he could operate. Whatever role and duty you select for him he still won't do what you want from him as long as he has that AMC in front of him to be the main creator. No doubt Ekdal has great attributes for a playmaker, so you might want to consider removing that AMC and see how it goes. A for PPM's I'd suggest: Tries killer balls, Looks rather for pass then shot, Dictates tempo and Runs with ball through the center.

Thanks Fabio. I do focus my passing through the middle and I play a short passing game,so Ekdal should be getting on the ball quite a lot, and I have Kyle Walker as my right back who bombs up and down the right to give width. I have Freddy Guarin as my other centre midfielder and Guarin is outperforming Ekdal, so I don't know if the AMC is the problem, but I will give it a go. Guarin has a tremendous long shot and the fact he scores more goals than Ekdal is probably the main reason he has a higher average rating than him. Good advice with his PPM's, I will definitely train him up to learn some of those. Cheers!

Thanks Fabio. I do focus my passing through the middle and I play a short passing game,so Ekdal should be getting on the ball quite a lot, and I have Kyle Walker as my right back who bombs up and down the right to give width. I have Freddy Guarin as my other centre midfielder and Guarin is outperforming Ekdal, so I don't know if the AMC is the problem, but I will give it a go. Guarin has a tremendous long shot and the fact he scores more goals than Ekdal is probably the main reason he has a higher average rating than him. Good advice with his PPM's, I will definitely train him up to learn some of those. Cheers!

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you. Let me know what happens anyway. :)

Leandro Sequeira - AM(L),ST

leandrosequeiraoverview.png

Signed this regen at start of last season, and he had a good debut campaign for us scoring 24 goals and making 9 assists in 39 appearances. His best performances generally came when he was playing as a Deep Lying Forward in a 4-4-2 formation, with a Poacher as his partner. However I generally use a 4-2-3-1 when playing away matches, so I'm wondering how folks think I should play him to get a little more out of him when he plays as the lone striker?

He looks like a perfect Target Man Attack with strength like that.

But his brilliant technical stats mean he would probably also make a pretty brilliant Advanced Forward Attack..

I thought about Target Man, haven't had too much luck with them on FM11 and FM12 so far. (Apart from Andy Carroll on an FM11 Stoke save that is) My most prolific goalscorers always seem to be the total speed merchants.

He's a very similar looking player to Edinson Cavani, who I've had great success with as a lone man as Adv. Forward Atk. He's also been a great Complete Forward Atk for me too. Take your pick, really. He looks capable of playing most roles.

Leandro Sequeira - AM(L),ST

leandrosequeiraoverview.png

Signed this regen at start of last season, and he had a good debut campaign for us scoring 24 goals and making 9 assists in 39 appearances. His best performances generally came when he was playing as a Deep Lying Forward in a 4-4-2 formation, with a Poacher as his partner. However I generally use a 4-2-3-1 when playing away matches, so I'm wondering how folks think I should play him to get a little more out of him when he plays as the lone striker?

The way he looks now he is Deep Lying Forward (Support) IMO. He has good First Touch, so he can receive the ball from deep and his Strength enables him to hold up the ball turn around and send a through ball to his partner in attack. His good Heading ability will also enable him to flick on balls to his partner in attack for him to run onto them. He also needs to works hard to do all that and hi Work Rate will enable him that. He is also a good finisher, so from plan B he is likely to score quite a few goals during the season. It would be good if he would improve his Creativity and Team Work. And you should most definitely try to tutor him to up his Determination. Same applies when playing as a lone striker.

He looks like a perfect Target Man Attack with strength like that.

But his brilliant technical stats mean he would probably also make a pretty brilliant Advanced Forward Attack..

Way too slow for an Advanced Forward.

He's a very similar looking player to Edinson Cavani, who I've had great success with as a lone man as Adv. Forward Atk. He's also been a great Complete Forward Atk for me too. Take your pick, really. He looks capable of playing most roles.

Cavani is much faster.

Cheers for the responses lads :thup:

I'd love to have him tutored to see if he could improve some of those mental attributes, but due to the season he had at Independiente before we signed him, and the price we had to pay to get him I think his rep is too high to be tutored by anyone in my squad at the moment. So I'll have to hope continued 1st team action helps him develop quickly.

The way he looks now he is Deep Lying Forward (Support) IMO. He has good First Touch, so he can receive the ball from deep and his Strength enables him to hold up the ball turn around and send a through ball to his partner in attack. His good Heading ability will also enable him to flick on balls to his partner in attack for him to run onto them. He also needs to works hard to do all that and hi Work Rate will enable him that. He is also a good finisher, so from plan B he is likely to score quite a few goals during the season. It would be good if he would improve his Creativity and Team Work. And you should most definitely try to tutor him to up his Determination. Same applies when playing as a lone striker.

He wants a Lone Forward, therefore a Deep lying Forward support isn't right.

He isn't too slow to be an Advanced Forward at all. Cavani plays it perfectly, and there isn't a great deal of difference in speed between the regen and Cavani. Yes, Cavani is quicker, but it isn't exactly comparing Aaron Lennon to David Beckham in terms of speed. There's only 2/3 marks difference.

He wants a Lone Forward, therefore a Deep lying Forward support isn't right.

He isn't too slow to be an Advanced Forward at all. Cavani plays it perfectly, and there isn't a great deal of difference in speed between the regen and Cavani. Yes, Cavani is quicker, but it isn't exactly comparing Aaron Lennon to David Beckham in terms of speed. There's only 2/3 marks difference.

Lone striker should always be Deep Lying Forward (Support) if he has no support from midfield otherwise he will get isolated. Cavani has 13 for Acceleration and 18 for Pace, so he is a lot quicker. Ant that newgen is definitely slow for an Advanced Forward given that he plays in EPL.

He is playing a 4-2-3-1, there's plenty of support in there. Having a Deep Lying Forward Support is not the right idea at all, unless there's two wingers who can score shedloads.

He is playing a 4-2-3-1, there's plenty of support in there. Having a Deep Lying Forward Support is not the right idea at all, unless there's two wingers who can score shedloads.

4-3-2-1 can be without AMR/AML/AMC what would mean that lone striker has no support from midfield. If he has AMR and AML who are able to score loads then it's a good idea to have lone striker as a Deep Lying Forward (Support).

I've got Adam Johnson, Nicolas Gaitan, Marc Albrighton and Pablo Sarabia as wide men, and when I play 4-4-2 they play as out and out wingers. I've been using them as wingers in the 4-2-3-1 as well, but this season I've been tweaking things and sometimes using Albrighton or Gaitan as an Inside forward (Johnson is out for 8 months with cruciate ligament injury). The first choice AMC in this formation is Jack Wilshere with Bressan as back up and then a young Mexican regen who is looking pretty useful.

If you're playing with proper Wingers then it'd have to be Target Man Attack.

NewGen striker

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 through the middle and he's going to be the man up top. No playmaker set and no target man chosen. Behind him there are 2 advanced playmakers (wide) and an attacking midfielder. I've currently got this guy playing taraquista + hold up ball. It works okay but he doesn't score as many as I think he should; I tried him as a Target man but it didn't seem to work.

The general idea with my system is for the AMC to get beyond the striker and for the wide players to play through balls, but it doesn't work as well when teams are sitting deep.

Name: Charlie Adam

Position: Centre Midfield

Role: Advanced Playmaker

Duty: Attacking

Other additional instructions: Mixed with run with ball, and playmaker

Club: West Ham

Club's formation: 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 or whatever you call it..

What do you want from your player: To be the creator, get as much of the ball as possible, to really get the most out of his creativity, passing and long range shots..

How would you set him up, and those around him? Have Wilfried as poacher, Scott Sinclair Inside forward - attack at AML, and Grosskreutz/Taarabt/Dembele at right.. Sinclair/dembele/taarabt/grosskreutz all share the wingerspots..

nicolmattiolioverviewpr.png

What do you think is the best role for this guy in a 4-4-2 (Diamond)? Im really struggling to get him playing a decent game, nevermind scoring goals.

What do you think is the best role for this guy in a 4-4-2 (Diamond)? Im really struggling to get him playing a decent game, nevermind scoring goals.

He should be pretty decent in just about every role up front. Just stick with one that complements your teams style and let him settle in for a few games.

Is he a striker? If so, Advanced or Complete Forward seems like the best bet. But he can literally play any of them by the look of it. Play him in a role which should compliment the AM and other ST.

Yeah he is a striker. Sorry for cropping that out.

felixschweinsteigerover.png

Thats my other striker who I have been using as a complete forward and I use my AM as an advanced playmaker.

That German lad's international record is wonderful. Two absolute toppers you got there, SRL.

I would say Complete Forward Support for the German and Advanced Forward Attack for the Italian, with an Advanced Playmaker Support in behind them (although your player may be suited to an Atk role, I don't know obviously).

I will stick with Schweinsteiger (German International) in his CF Support role like you said and then test waters with tother one as an AF. Cheers :thup:.

NewGen striker

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 through the middle and he's going to be the man up top. No playmaker set and no target man chosen. Behind him there are 2 advanced playmakers (wide) and an attacking midfielder. I've currently got this guy playing taraquista + hold up ball. It works okay but he doesn't score as many as I think he should; I tried him as a Target man but it didn't seem to work.

The general idea with my system is for the AMC to get beyond the striker and for the wide players to play through balls, but it doesn't work as well when teams are sitting deep.

Post as per format from the OP.

Name: Charlie Adam

Position: Centre Midfield

Duty: Attacking

Other additional instructions: Mixed with run with ball, and playmaker

Club: West Ham

Club's formation: 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 or whatever you call it..

What do you want from your player: To be the creator, get as much of the ball as possible, to really get the most out of his creativity, passing and long range shots..

How would you set him up, and those around him? Have Wilfried as poacher, Scott Sinclair Inside forward - attack at AML, and Grosskreutz/Taarabt/Dembele at right.. Sinclair/dembele/taarabt/grosskreutz all share the wingerspots..

Adam is MC - Central Midfielder (Support) in my book.

Yeah he is a striker. Sorry for cropping that out.

felixschweinsteigerover.png

Thats my other striker who I have been using as a complete forward and I use my AM as an advanced playmaker.

Hey friends, I need a help! What is the best role for Daniel Sturridge as Striker...

He best suits a poacher role, but you could also try TM support with supply as run onto ball or also test him out as a treq!!!

Hey friends, I need a help! What is the best role for Daniel Sturridge as Striker...

How about reading the first post in this thread?

Name: Adam Johnson

Position:AMR

Role:Dont know yet..

Duty: Dont know yet

Other additional instructions:No

Club:West Ham

Club's formation: 4-5-1/4-3-3 balanced

What do you want from your player:Best suitable role for him, score, make assist, create..

I guess at AML he should be winger-attack?

Name: Sergio Canales

Position:MC

Role:Advanced playmaker

Duty:Attack

Other additional instructions:none, perhaps up his creative freedom

Club's formation: 4-5-1/4-3-3

What do you want from your player: Well, not so difficult to imagine what i would want:)

Not so sure how to play him, i am training him att AMR, and maybe set him as ADP-attack.. But i am not sure.. maybe play 4-2-3-1? But 4-5-1 have worked so good with my pretty average team..

Tips?

Name: Fernando Torres

Position: ST

Role: Deep Lying Forward

Duty: Attack

Other additional instructions: None

Club: Chelsea

Club's formation: 4-5-1

What do you want from your player: Goals, so far he's played 5 and scored only once.

Name: Adam Johnson

Position:AMR

Role:Dont know yet..

Duty: Dont know yet

Other additional instructions:No

Club's formation: 4-5-1/4-3-3 balanced

What do you want from your player:Best suitable role for him, score, make assist, create..

I guess at AML he should be winger-attack?

Name: Sergio Canales

Position:MC

Role:Advanced playmaker

Duty:Attack

Other additional instructions:none, perhaps up his creative freedom

Club's formation: 4-5-1/4-3-3

What do you want from your player: Well, not so difficult to imagine what i would want:)

Not so sure how to play him, i am training him att AMR, and maybe set him as ADP-attack.. But i am not sure.. maybe play 4-2-3-1? But 4-5-1 have worked so good with my pretty average team..

Tips?

As AML I would have him as a Winger (Support). As AMR I'd play him as an Inside Forward (Attack). I'd play Canales as AMC if you play with one. He'd be Advanced Playmaker (Support) for me. Same goes when you play him as MC, but make sure MC becomes his natural position.

Name: Fernando Torres

Role: Deep Lying Forward

Club: Chelsea

Club's formation: 4-5-1

What do you want from your player: Goals, so far he's played 5 and scored only once.

If you have AMR/AML/AMC then play him as an Advanced Forward. If you don't have AMR/AML/AMC then he will not have enough support and he will get isolated, so in that case play him as a Deep-Lying Forward (Support). But, since you want him to score goals let him have support and give him Advanced Forward role. Poacher role could also do the job in that case.

Name: Diego Buonanotte

Position: AMR

Role: Inside Forward

Club: Feyenoord

Club's formation: 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1

What do you want from your player: Always thought this guy is a poor mans Messi so thats what I want, I want him to be dangerous and giving assist and scoring goals.

Name: Juan Albín

Position: AML

What do you want from your player: I want him to be a playmaker en give out assists and score the occasional goal.

Name: Daniel Villalva

Role: Poacher

What do you want from your player: Goals, goals and more goals

Name: Christian Eriksen (From ajax, you know him :D)

Position:AMC

Role:

Duty:

Other additional instructions:

Club:AFC Ajax

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1

What do you want from your player:

Passes and some goals, dominate attacking stuff

So what traits should i teach for him?

Name: Robin Van Persie

Role: Trequartista

Club: Arsenal

Club's formation: 4-5-1 i.e. with a defensive midfielder, two centre midfielders, a AMR and a AML.

What do you want from your player: Goals (20+ a season), big involvement in play and some assists.

Name: Diego Buonanotte

Position: AMR

Role: Inside Forward

What do you want from your player: Always thought this guy is a poor mans Messi so thats what I want, I want him to be dangerous and giving assist and scoring goals.

Name: Juan Albín

Position: AML

What do you want from your player: I want him to be a playmaker en give out assists and score the occasional goal.

Name: Daniel Villalva

Role: Poacher

What do you want from your player: Goals, goals and more goals

I don't see Diego being similar to Messi. I see him more as an AMC who will look to spray passes from his place either to flanks or to strikers and score and odd goal from the second plan. So, AMC - Advanced Playmaker (Support) for me. What is Albin's natural position? It's AMC IIRC, so I' play him as an Advanced Playmaker (Attack). I don't know how Daniel looks, so SS of his attributes could help me.

Name: Christian Eriksen (From ajax, you know him :D)

Position:AMC

Role:

Duty:

Club:AFC Ajax

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1

What do you want from your player:

Passes and some goals, dominate attacking stuff

So what traits should i teach for him?

Eriksen is typical playmaker. AMC - Advanced Plasymaker (Attack).

Name: Robin Van Persie

Role: Trequartista

Club: Arsenal

Club's formation: 4-5-1 i.e. with a defensive midfielder, two centre midfielders, a AMR and a AML.

What do you want from your player: Goals (20+ a season), big involvement in play and some assists.

Van Persie is Deep Lying forward (Attack) in my book.

Name:Johannes Geis

Position: DM/DR

Role:Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend/Support

Duty:Not Sure

Club:SpVgg Greuther Furth

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1 & 4-4-2. Using him primarily as a BWM in both formations

What do you want from your player: Just to perform well. I'm not too good with individual instructions. Is he capable of playing as a DLP? His lack of pace bothers me as I play a very quick tempo.

JohannesGeisOverview_Profile-3.png

If the Treq role isn't working, either try him as a complete forward (attack) OR, move to a 4-2-3-1 with two CMs, a CAM and inside forwards.

Name:Johannes Geis

Position: DM/DR

Role:Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend/Support

Duty:Not Sure

Club:SpVgg Greuther Furth

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1 & 4-4-2. Using him primarily as a BWM in both formations

What do you want from your player: Just to perform well. I'm not too good with individual instructions. Is he capable of playing as a DLP? His lack of pace bothers me as I play a very quick tempo.

JohannesGeisOverview_Profile-3.png

I see him as a Defensive Midfielder (Defend). If you play him as MC I'd have him on Central Midfielder (Defend).

Name:Craig maickal smith

Position:ST

Role:

Duty:

Club:Brighton

Club's formation:4-5-1 with 3 in middle 2 on wing and 1 upfront

What do you want from your player:just for him to chip in more 10 games 2 goals is not the sort of return i was thinking.

NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!1

name: herrera (bilbao)

position:

role:

duty:

other:

formation: 4222 with 2cmsup 2wa 1tar A 1poacher wide direct and quick

he's one of my cmsupp (left one) and he rarely does an assist or goal

I've tried him there as advpl sup quite often but he's not good enough

I want a better performance

his ppm are move into channel, plays 1-2s (should I remove it if I play direct and quick?), looks for the pass, killer balls

ick4q2cpmf6rvf4x1g0h_thumb.png

Name:Craig maickal smith

Position:ST

Role:

Duty:

Club:Brighton

Club's formation:4-5-1 with 3 in middle 2 on wing and 1 upfront

What do you want from your player:just for him to chip in more 10 games 2 goals is not the sort of return i was thinking.

NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!1

Could you post an SS of him as I don't have no idea how he looks?

position:

role:

duty:

other:

his ppm are move into channel, plays 1-2s (should I remove it if I play direct and quick?), looks for the pass, killer balls

Central Midfielder (Automatic) or (Support) would suit him best IMO.

position:

role:

duty:

other:

You can try a DLP (support) role to have him dictate play from deep but you shouldn't expect a DLP to pick up a lot of assists. He will start attacking moves but but rarely will one ball from deep lead to a goal immediately. If you want him to pick up assists you need to allow him to make forward runs. CM (support) AP (support) and BtB midfielder (support) are all possible roles for him. With his dribbling skill you can also give him an AP (attack) role but I'd rather have him play through balls from a deeper position with his excellent passing skills than him trying to make a dribble towards the box as he is not much of a scoring threat (it could work depending on your tactic but in general I think he is more suited for a support role).

btw. You can't really expect supporting midfielders to pick up a lot of assists but I agree that with his creativity and passing skills he should pick up a few here and there. Maybe the issue is not with this players role but with your forward players not getting in the right position or making the right runs or maybe you play against teams who just sit deep and defend in which case you can't really expect him to get assists with through balls.

hmm

my players are in the right positions as they (llorente as muniain) each scored ~40 goals this season

but maybe on 2nd thought herrrera is ok as he is there

thanks ^^

Sure !

352ord0.png

Poacher or Target Man (Attack) IMO.

targetman with so little heading and jumping? poor balance and strength also