Football Manager 2012 Demo *OFFICIAL* Feedback Thread

Find it quite annoying how I cannot change the width of the "date" in the achievements tab, I canot see the full date, yet there's loads of room on the progress tab that could be exploited if it let me click and move the tab width.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the new team talks, what with them being so much more varied now. I'm not entirely sure what to make of each of the headings, but I do believe I can see some use for each one. I firmly believe it will make team talks more of an art and less of a clickety-click usual choice-thing.

I like the team meeting idea too, but I was somewhat surprised at the lack of available things to say. I'm hoping it will broaden out throughout a season, and I can envisage new options during a poor run of form being a huge help. I've often felt powerless to change a losing run, with it more coming down to a turn of luck rather than anything I could do, but this might add something to a manager's arsenal. I hope.

Problem is I still foresee the problem I've encountered for the last two editions of FM becoming prevalent and resulting in me losing interest in the game. That is the easiness of Football Manager in later years. I honestly believe it is associated with the function whereby teams become better at a particular tactic as they play it. Every save I've run in the last two years has followed the same trend. A first season of mid table mediocrity and patchy form whilst players learn my tactics, followed by a second season on unbeatability (if that's a word) because each player is fluent with my desired tactic and AI teams are no match for us.

As this still appears to be in the game I'm dubious about purchasing the game. I can't run the demo until the second season so I'll have to rely reviews of the game on these forums.

It's sad but true that this is a problem for me. I was very impressed with the new features in this demo, so much so that I played a match in a demo for the first time. I just don't want to experience what i've experienced in every save I've started for the last two editions. I want the game to challenge me.

I guess you use classic mode for creating tactics?

Ok I have read three or four pages and it doesn't look like anyone has come across my issue (apologies if somebody has already!).

Ok. Tevez. Signing Tevez for Arsenal i thought it would be a great idea and a massive coup. I agreed with Man City to sign him for £30m but then his agent was a total b.

Lo and behold the following day Tevez sacks his agent!! Yes I'm in there, great stuff. So I make the exact same offer, it's accepted again and... yep, you guessed it, it's the same agent :( Tevez bless him, sacks him again. But now I won't be fooled, I check his profile and sure enough his agent is still there. Hmm.

So, I think that counts as a valid issue, if players sack their agents they should leave their players! Thanks.

PS - I did sign Tevez in the end btw, for £7m plus £10 after 40 matches, with wages of £175k, that hard-bargaining agent again, then RVP got the same wage because he had a highest earner clause, ouch that went my budget. All this only for Tevez to get injured for 6 weeks in its second game after 2 minutes. Blast.

I prefer people who help each other out; it's not entirely obvious what one has to do to disable the browsing history.

I prefer people to actually read the thread first, in case their question has been asked AND answered already.

Ok I have read three or four pages and it doesn't look like anyone has come across my issue (apologies if somebody has already!).

Ok. Tevez. Signing Tevez for Arsenal i thought it would be a great idea and a massive coup. I agreed with Man City to sign him for £30m but then his agent was a total b.

Lo and behold the following day Tevez sacks his agent!! Yes I'm in there, great stuff. So I make the exact same offer, it's accepted again and... yep, you guessed it, it's the same agent :( Tevez bless him, sacks him again. But now I won't be fooled, I check his profile and sure enough his agent is still there. Hmm.

So, I think that counts as a valid issue, if players sack their agents they should leave their players! Thanks.

PS - I did sign Tevez in the end btw, for £7m plus £10 after 40 matches, with wages of £175k, that hard-bargaining agent again, then RVP got the same wage because he had a highest earner clause, ouch that went my budget. All this only for Tevez to get injured for 6 weeks in its second game after 2 minutes. Blast.

You should report this to the bug section!

I have to say a big well done to everyone at SI, havnt had a single issue so far, skin is great as is the new adaptive layout, match engine is nothing short of brilliant, definatley the most polished pre-patch FM in years.

Of course these are my own experiences and thoughts, I havnt read through the whole thread so Im not sure what issue's other people are having.

• Administrators

Please report this in the bugs forum so it can be addressed, thanks

• Administrators
Find it quite annoying how I cannot change the width of the "date" in the achievements tab, I canot see the full date, yet there's loads of room on the progress tab that could be exploited if it let me click and move the tab width.

That is an issue we are aware of and currently investigating.

I'm playing as Hibs and I want to make an offer for a Celtic player who they've got on the loan list, but they won't accept my offer because they are "not willing to discuss a loan deal between both clubs", which I presume is because we have a slight rivalry. However both in real life and in the game in the past Celtic (and Rangers, who also have this issue) have loaned players to Hibs, and even this season Richie Towell is there on loan! Slight issue imo.

Also, the ridiculous asking prices for players. Again as Hibs I put in an offer for Paul Caddis (Swindon), who is valued at £120k (which I know means very little in the grand scheme of things) and my scout said they'd accept an offer in the region of £500k, so I put in an offer of £550k. They came back with a "negotiation" of £1.2m PLUS 10% of sell on fee. Completely baffled, and it's not the only transfer issue I've had.

(I'm not being bitter because I can't afford that, I genuinely think that's a bug.)

This may have been covered by other people, but why must players in the u19 squad be on youth training schedules even if they are on a professional contract? It's going to make it difficult for teams in countries that don't have a reserve league where the choice will be to give these guys some game time in the u19 with low training or no regular games but with proper training. Is it deliberate, or an oversight?

The skin looks too saturated with data and numbers that makes you lose a lot. I think you should take a more simple skin, returning to the simplicity that always characterized FM. For complexity this it the **** of fifa manager ...jaja.

The debt again is the lack of moves pieces free.

Couple of questions for SI:

Why wasn't the tone system used in boardroom conversations? I think it would be useful to be assertive when telling the board you need new scouts for example!

Where do I go now to ask my assistant manager to compile a loan report for positions? I can do it for a club, by going to that club and click on loan report, but there's no longer an option in the squd page to find a loan player by position??

Also, would be nice to get some feedback on why the following haven't been implemented and if they can be added to the feature wishlist:

Why is there no option to buy a player but to keep him at his current club for a bit longer. I know you can set the transfer date to the end of the season, but that's not the same thing. It's becoming more common now that bigger clubs might sign a young player from a lower league team, but loan him back until say, the end of the season.

Also, I was hoping for a bit more financial information, to help know where and how you can save costs. It's fine if you're playing with a premiership team, but if you're a lower league team and need to watch your finances, then I think you need an even more detailed breakdown. For instance if I have 4 scouts, tell me how much each one is costing in expenses etc, so I know how much it will cost me to send a scout to Spain or something?

I also think we need more options on the respond to comment button when someone says they are interested in one of your players, can we not have the option to say - "I would be happy to let XX go out on loan, but am not looking to sell him" because then it might encourage people to put a loan offer in, and also to have an option to say "I would like to hold on to XX until the end of the season at least".

Finally, when clubs bid for one of your players on loan, they say "They see him as an important first team player" or "They see him providing important cover for the first team" etc, but when you are trying to loan a player you can't specify that option - why not??

Can you please elaborate? We've not made any major layout changes to this panel. Is it the fact you can assign instruction on a per player and per position basis that is the source of the difficulty?

I've run into a problem with the Opposition Instructions as well, I've set up instructions on several players, based on their position rather than the individual and every time I try to set an instruction on the right winger it resets.

Board interactions and season expectations might still be rubbish, but at least the board don't just endlessly provide huge cash injections anymore - and they sold the training and youth facilities when I deliberately tried to bankrupt the club, which was nice to see. Still didn't blame me for the mess though, or get tough on me to do something about it. And when I freed money in the wage budget, they still let me move it all into the transfer budget, despite the club being on the brink of collapse.

Seemed a lot more manager sackings and managers under pressure, which I didn't see a lot of in the first season in FM 11.

Had a game postponed due to snow too, don't remember seeing that since about CM 99/00!

Well... i won't be playing the demo then, can't get better than 30kb/s. Ridiculously slow and not running smoothly at all.

When the game comes out, I hope you don't have to do too much with steam.

Try changing your location in steam to Norway mate ? worked for me last night

@pigfacemonkeyman

yes, he is listed in my squad. He even played in the first five league matches so far (7.07 average). Suddenly he becomes unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. He is listed as backup at Udinese and as important fist team player with me (Grenada).

Maybe something to do with this?

Is a Bug?

well

Playing with Granada, they have affiliations with Udinese, but there's something strange going on, all players UDINESE (Mother Club) accepted the move to Granada (satellite club), including Antonio Di Natale, the star of the team

This does not seem normal

Sorry english

This definitely needs to be investigated further. Can you please post this problem to our Transfer and Contracts bugs subforum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/242-Transfer-and-Contracts)?

I tried that and it brought me to the FM12 Full game page. Strange. Anyway I exited steam, went back in, pasted that link and it has now allowed me to do it. Cheers for helping

YAY! Thats good news

• Administrators
This may have been covered by other people, but why must players in the u19 squad be on youth training schedules even if they are on a professional contract? It's going to make it difficult for teams in countries that don't have a reserve league where the choice will be to give these guys some game time in the u19 with low training or no regular games but with proper training. Is it deliberate, or an oversight?

After consulting a number of people this was a deliberate decision made to mirror 'real life' training. I agree it can be annoying in certain circumstances but it is more realistic that a player trains with his 'team' so to speak. Players in youth training regimes will still improve, if anything it stops them being 'overworked' by being put onto full-time training regimes too early in their development.

• Administrators

Where do I go now to ask my assistant manager to compile a loan report for positions? I can do it for a club, by going to that club and click on loan report, but there's no longer an option in the squd page to find a loan player by position??

It's on the manager profile (Home -> overview) page in the top-right hand corner under 'Assistant Advice' I believe.

After consulting a number of people this was a deliberate decision made to mirror 'real life' training. I agree it can be annoying in certain circumstances but it is more realistic that a player trains with his 'team' so to speak. Players in youth training regimes will still improve, if anything it stops them being 'overworked' by being put onto full-time training regimes too early in their development.

Thanks for the answer, seems fair enough I guess.

FM 2012 is more than i expected. Intuitive interface. More feedback for your actions. Enhanced interactions with players and staff. Almost every area of the game has tiny fixes and improvements which make the game a lot more enjoyable and a lot less frustrating. I applaud this approach over pompus marketing driven features that are flawed by design. Thumbs up! Never being happier with a FM Release before.

One small suggestion if i may. It would be nice if you could merge team report and tactic screens somehow to ease player selection while the team report ratings are visible.

• Administrators
Do matches stop or slow down when you tab out?

Edit - They do!! Why????

It's a bug we're aware of. If you play in windowed mode this will not occur. I'd suggest putting it into windowed mode and maximising it. As said we're looking into the issue.

It's a bug we're aware of. If you play in windowed mode this will not occur. I'd suggest putting it into windowed mode and maximising it. As said we're looking into the issue.

Silly question but how do I play in windowed mode?

why is the game to easy... im getting bored of winning games while not even trying due to the fact its a demo, i dont even put any effort in managing my team and im winning matches so easy . i uninstalled the game. but i cant complain the new features are perfect and i really enjoy the features , but the game is just tooo easy . no effort needed.

• Administrators
Silly question but how do I play in windowed mode?

Not a silly question at all, go to your preferences and under 'Display and Sound' you can change your 'Display Mode'. Some monitors or resolutions may not support it, but hopefully yours will.

• Administrators
why is the game to easy... im getting bored of winning games while not even trying due to the fact its a demo, i dont even put any effort in managing my team and im winning matches so easy . i uninstalled the game. but i cant complain the new features are perfect and i really enjoy the features , but the game is just tooo easy . no effort needed.

Who are you playing as in what League? I'd suggest giving a lesser team a crack, surely getting Norwich into the Champions League places by the end of the demo wouldn't be too easy?

fm12.png

team picked by Roberto Di Matteo

GK Cech

LB Alex

CB Ashley Cole

CB Terry

RB Ivanovic

DMC Torres

RM Mikes

CM Lampard

LM Ramires

FC Mata

ST Drogba

Same issue albeit with Tottenham. Team picked by Bond.

mismatched.png

Worked it out myself, feel a bit silly. Its because we've both not selected the tactic we'rew looking at as out starting tactic, asking the Assistant and he'll give you his starting line up for the starting tactic not back up tactic.

I've run into a problem with the Opposition Instructions as well, I've set up instructions on several players, based on their position rather than the individual and every time I try to set an instruction on the right winger it resets.

And on my next match, let me set the opposition instructions with no problem and no resetting. Hopefully just an oddball glitch rather than a bug.

Overall, liking the FM12 Dark Skin, very easy on the eye and looks a lot nicer default skin than last couple FMs (to my mind at least).

Not a silly question at all, go to your preferences and under 'Display and Sound' you can change your 'Display Mode'. Some monitors or resolutions may not support it, but hopefully yours will.

Worked. Thanks.

Well... i won't be playing the demo then, can't get better than 30kb/s. Ridiculously slow and not running smoothly at all.

When the game comes out, I hope you don't have to do too much with steam.

Change your location in Steam to the Ukraine. Apparently no-one there uses it and I was getting 800Kb + from their server.

Who are you playing as in what League? I'd suggest giving a lesser team a crack, surely getting Norwich into the Champions League places by the end of the demo wouldn't be too easy?

Tottenham, but i willl take your advice and become a lesser team, ill be a team in blue square

• Administrators
I can't download this - Steam is stuck on copying existing content into steam - any suggestions?

Is this before the process has started? I'd suggest (albeit the clichéd classic) closing down Steam, re-signing in and restart the install/download process. Let me know how you get on.

It's not just the bigger teams in FM of late though is it, Neil. There's been a number of threads in recent time about how FM has become too easy. If someone is seeing that from the demo then surely questions need to be asked. FM/CM used to challenge and it used to be an achievement to progress. Lately it's just a foregone conclusion that you'll progress. I know there's plenty of asking for easier modes on these forums and I really do hope that SI are not bandying to that.

In the last two editions I've played as teams ranging from KFUM Oslo to Juventus Bucharest and Wrexham. Each time I've had a so-so first season followed by a second season in which I just can't lose. I find myself altering the way I play the game in order to find ways to lose....or simply have a challenge. And I'm far from a tactical god.

You folks at SI have done an amazing job in making FM more advanced and mirroring of the real world of football. I especially love some of the new features in FM12 but i simply can not enjoy playing (or condone buying) a game that is just too easy.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm sure people aren't imagining this. It's certainly not a case that all the people who will report the game as easy are playing Premiership giants.

EDIT: Just an edit to say that I realise I can't say for sure what level of difficulty FM12 is at without playing the full release. I'm just reluctant to buy what with my recent experiences of the game. I'd love to just take a leap and I'd really love to revisit my love of this game, but I don't want to end up disgruntled and disappointed again.

It's not just the bigger teams in FM of late though is it, Neil. There's been a number of threads in recent time about how FM has become too easy. If someone is seeing that from the demo then surely questions need to be asked. FM/CM used to challenge and it used to be an achievement to progress. Lately it's just a foregone conclusion that you'll progress. I know there's plenty of asking for easier modes on these forums and I really do hope that SI are not bandying to that.

In the last two editions I've played as teams ranging from KFUM Oslo to Juventus Bucharest and Wrexham. Each time I've had a so-so first season followed by a second season in which I just can't lose. I find myself altering the way I play the game in order to find ways to lose....or simply have a challenge. And I'm far from a tactical god.

You folks at SI have done an amazing job in making FM more advanced and mirroring of the real world of football. I especially love some of the new features in FM12 but i simply can not enjoy playing (or condone buying) a game that is just too easy.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm sure people aren't imagining this. It's certainly not a case that all the people who will report the game as easy are playing Premiership giants.

I must truly be awful at this game then...

Archived