New manager question.

I've always been curious when starting a new game that we aren't allowed add more information.

1. If we put down ex international were allocated caps and goals, no say at all.

2. We get to pick just one team as our favourite.

3. We can't add a playing history

4. We can't add our favourite staff

Some of this can be added/edited via FMRTE but why isn't the option to add these things or have more say in what goes down when we actually start a game? Not everyone will want to but some may so why has this never been added?

Although it's not an essential part of the game, it would certainly be a nice feature that I would use upon starting the game (apart from the international bit - as I start off way, way down in the regional leagues). Visual aesthetics are always welcomed.

1. Doesn't interest me, as it doesn't matter if I had 1 or 100 caps, it won't make me a better manager.

2. Who has more than one favourite club (apart from Robbie Keane)? Sure, you could like more than one, but one will always be your absolute favourite.

3. Would be nice to make up a career which saw me turn out for Liverpool, then when getting the manager's job there could be some news about them appointing an old player, but otherwise has no effect on the game.

4. Now I'm not too bothered about having favoured personnel at the start, but I'd like this to be something that is dynamic, and you could develop good (and bad) relationships with players/staff, so they appear on your list over time depending on your praising / criticising them. This would especially be good when you move clubs and want to take players/staff with you.

1. Doesn't interest me, as it doesn't matter if I had 1 or 100 caps, it won't make me a better manager.

2. Who has more than one favourite club (apart from Robbie Keane)? Sure, you could like more than one, but one will always be your absolute favourite.

3. Would be nice to make up a career which saw me turn out for Liverpool, then when getting the manager's job there could be some news about them appointing an old player, but otherwise has no effect on the game.

4. Now I'm not too bothered about having favoured personnel at the start, but I'd like this to be something that is dynamic, and you could develop good (and bad) relationships with players/staff, so they appear on your list over time depending on your praising / criticising them. This would especially be good when you move clubs and want to take players/staff with you.

1 - I completely agree with

2 - Alot of people, Blackburn are my team I support, Cardiff are the welsh team I support as im from Wales born and bread, Newtown is my local team, who I support and regularly go to matches (also played at a younger age) and I like SV Werder Bremen as I work abroad in Bremen alot and go to matches when/if time allows me whilst over there.

3 - Would be a nice feature, nothing I wouldn't lose sleep over..

4 - This should be added, and would be a brilliant feature!!

1. True perhaps, unless there is a way to link it in with getting a managerial job at international level. Not going to say it'll have a real affect on stats but perhaps the A.I.'s perception of you. If a manager takes charge of a nation he had 100 caps for, the players will be more likely to accept that person than some journey man player who never stood a chance of making it at international level (Steve McClaren never had the players confidence, clear to see. Bobby Robson did.) Also people are shaped by their experiences, someone who knows the international game, what players go through while on duty and so.... Could make the world of difference (in real life anyway, translating into the game is another story, but one worth looking at.)

2. I have more than one favourite club. I'm sure alot of people do. Harry Redknapp loves Spurs but i'm sure he'll also always love West Ham also. I love Leeds, but i'm very fond of Real Madrid also.

3. It could have an affect on the game. Pressure from the fans could increase, such as the way Liverpool fan's are very expectant for Dalglish to deliver due to his past exploits as both player and manager of the club.

4. Could be used in game for bringing in new staff, conversation paths which lets you tell certain staff members how you respect them and so on. I also agree that the way in which we make certain players/staff our favourites needs to be improved.

I would say more important than any of those, unlike anyone else in the game we can't define our place of birth; when I'm in the game with my favoured club set as Crystal Palace, I'd like it to realise that the reason I'm managing Gloucester City instead is that I was born there...

I would say more important than any of those, unlike anyone else in the game we can't define our place of birth; when I'm in the game with my favoured club set as Crystal Palace, I'd like it to realise that the reason I'm managing Gloucester City instead is that I was born there...

Yes, I would love to be able to add my place of birth. Then if you are playing an away match in your hometown you could get a news item about a homecoming or something. Would be a nice touch.

I'd like for us to be able to choose our favored personnel, favored clubs and the languages we speak.

Languages gets a big YES from me. Those multilingual managers among us would very much like this. I'm not sure just how much of an impact speaking your player's languages has on the development of a player (I expect some difference) but as a french speaker who tends to sign a lot of French players, this would be most welcome. (Normally I just add French as a second nationality to myself to get around this, even though in real life my second nationality is American ) :D

agree with the favoured clubs bit. we should be allowed 2 in my opinion. a lot of people support a club and then have a soft spot for another team, usually somebody big like barcelona.

Exactly. Myself, huge Leeds fan but also partial to Real Madrid, mainly because Don Revie had Leeds change to playing in white to emulate Real Madrid in the 60's.

I'm pretty sure you can add languages, favoured clubs and personnel to your profile through FMRTE.

You can but it seems silly Si wouldn't just allow it or put it in from the start.

agree with the favoured clubs bit. we should be allowed 2 in my opinion. a lot of people support a club and then have a soft spot for another team, usually somebody big like barcelona.

I support Sunderland but have a soft spot for the world renowned huge football club that is Crewe Alex lol.

I think we should be allowed more than one, don't AI managers have more than one favoured club in some cases?

The number of caps you give yourself could be directly linked to the prestige you have in the game. I agree it wouldn't necessarily affect your management skills, but it could affect the jobs you get offered. It could affect how quickly you become a player's favoured personnel. Little things like that that don't have massive effects on gameplay but just add nice little touches and a tad more depth.

In reality, whilst it's true you'll probably only have one team you favour above all others, you should still be able to name more than one favoured club. If you have a past career, you'll have developed an affinity of some kind with at least two or three clubs. Take Alan Shearer as an example. Although not a manager at the moment, if he were to go back into it, you would see no problem with both Newcastle and Blackburn being listed as favoured clubs for him.

I support Sunderland but have a soft spot for the world renowned huge football club that is Crewe Alex lol.

I think we should be allowed more than one, don't AI managers have more than one favoured club in some cases?

They do in most cases, more often than not you will find managers have been around the football block enough to have more than one favourite. Alex Ferguson probably has both Man Utd and Aberdeen down as he favourites.

Alex Ferguson is a bad example because he's at the end of his career (or nearly, surely!). I think Alan Shearer perhaps illuminates it better, as explained in my post above. I know he's not currently in management but if he was.. well.. you can read above.

Alex Ferguson is a bad example because he's at the end of his career (or nearly, surely!). I think Alan Shearer perhaps illuminates it better, as explained in my post above. I know he's not currently in management but if he was.. well.. you can read above.

Don't matter if he is at the end, my point is near enough everyone has more than one favoured club be they new managers, old managers or managers somewhere in the middle. Maybe it'll get added for FM13.

Don't matter if he is at the end, my point is near enough everyone has more than one favoured club be they new managers, old managers or managers somewhere in the middle. Maybe it'll get added for FM13.

My point is that we are at the start of our careers, so a better example to back up the point we both agree on, which is that you should be able to select more than one favoured club, is a manager in a similar position. Ferguson's favoured clubs have developed over the course of a career as player and manager. But ours would only have developed as a player. Therefore, a better example is a younger manager in the same boat.

But I suppose it's a minor point.

Archived