Midfielder Out With Worst Sickness Ever?

Have you ever tried to play sport after flu? Years back I played a singles tennis match about 5 days after my flu symptoms had seemingly gone. I had never lost to the player before and have never lost to him since. A standard scoreline is 6-2, 6-1 to me. I lost 6-3, 6-4, simply because I still had nothing in my legs and couldn't chase down balls.

That's 5 days out with symptoms plus 5 days when I seemed fine. I still wasn't able to play high level club tennis (probably the equivalent to League 1 football in the tennis standards hierarchy (ITN 3-3.5 level)). Imagine how much extra time I'd have needed to recover for elite level sport.

max 5 days? what have you been smoking?

We mere mortals often go back to work after 1-2 days, but for a professional footballer it can take a few weeks to get back to 100% since sometimes you're just really drained for energy a long time after the illness, as wwfan has an excellent example of.

I play indoor football and I can often feel the lack of energy after a flu for 2-3 weeks afterwards

My star midfielder has been out with a 'virus' for two weeks now...seriously? This should be toned down. 4-5 days absolute max for a sickness.

A virus can be anything. Sometimes it keeps players out for two years, sometimes two days. People get sick.

A player at the club I support had a serious virus, he was out for 11 months then it took him another 6 months to get back to gull fitness

Gull fitness.. that made me laugh :D - does that mean he could fly? or just poo on people?

IRL Darren Fletcher had virus since March all up to August IIRC!
And Drogba's Malaria illness?

These two are the examples that i was going to give...as said they are not suffering from a cold where you generally send them home for 1-2 days this virus could be anything.

Okay, I admit you guys are probably right. I was thinking more along the lines of 'stomach virus' or something like that. I've known NBA players to play through stuff like that on some occasions, though they can be subbed in and out as often as they need to be. In American sports I don't think I've seen any serious viral infections to players that I can remember, however.

In my Man City game, Silva got the virus, and he's the midfielder that makes my offense go. It couldn't have been a worse time to get sick. We were in 2nd, 3 points behind Man Utd, and were playing against them the next day (and lost). Then we subsequently got knocked out of the EURO cup, and only managed a draw in our semifinal FA cup game against Chelsea. It's the first time we have lost back-to-back games all season. What a bummer.

Archived