Sacre bleu! It's the Ligue Une 08/09 thread! featuring much Lyon dominance

Orzelek

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Metz docked a point over Ouaddou

Ouaddou was racially abused during last month's game at Metz

French side Metz have been docked one point after their fan racially abused Moroccan defender Abdesalam Ouaddou.

Metz, who are bottom of Ligue One, must also play a match behind closed doors after last month's incident involving the Valenciennes player.

They have leave to appeal the decision but club president Carlo Molinari condemned the penalty as "too heavy".

"I find this a very heavy one for a club like ours. It is a flabbergasting penalty," Molinari said.

"We have tried to tackle the problems of racism at this club."

The French league's disciplinary commission took action after the Morocco international protested vehemently over the incident.

Ouaddou was so upset at the barrage of abuse he suffered in the game that he marched into the Stade Saint-Symphorien stands at half-time and was booked.

Valenciennes lost the game 2-1.

Metz are bottom of the French league table with 18 points from 30 games.

icon_biggrin.gif

Lens v PSG (Coupe de Ligue Final)

Not seen a thread for it, but i was just setting in for another decent 30 mins of football... when PSG get a pen. minutes into stoppage time

Wound me up, good game - feel for Lens, mainly because Papin is a legend, but French football needs a strong PSG.

PSG thankful for Rothen luck

Jérôme Rothen said Paris Saint-Germain FC "finally have something to celebrate" after Saturday's League Cup final earned the Ligue 1 strugglers a 2008/09 UEFA Cup place.

Breathless finale

A breathtaking finale at Stade de France saw Bernard Mendy convert from the penalty spot in added time to give PSG a 2-1 win over relegation rivals RC Lens after Eric Carrière had cancelled out Pauleta's first-half opener for the Parisian side. The capital club had previously won the competition in 1994 and 1998, and having been on the winning side as a player on the latter occasion, Paul Le Guen became the first person to lift the trophy as both a player and a coach.

Le Guen sanguine

Winger Rothen believes his side "finally have something to celebrate" in the midst of a grim season, but with PSG second from bottom in Ligue 1 after Sunday's results, Le Guen was in no mood for a party. "Given our situation in the league, we cannot enjoy this win like we did the others," he said. "The fans were happy and I'm pleased for everyone at the club. We were luckier than we have been on other occasions so let's hope that trend continues."

Next challenge

Two points adrift of Ligue 1 safety, but still in contention at the last-16 stage of the French Cup, PSG host 16th-placed RC Strasbourg on Wednesday as they bid to avoid the relegation for the first time in the 38 years since their formation. "We don't really have time to celebrate," said defender Grégory Bourillon. "With the Strasbourg game coming we just need to refocus and take confidence from this game."

\0/

And on the other hand- apparently the PSG fans had offended the people from Northern France by having banners saying they were a bunch of peadephilles (sp?) etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This rather neglected thread needs life, and so it shall be. Largely because Lens just beat Sochaux to leave PSG in deep problems, and a big night of games kicks off in 20 mins.

At the top, the title race is two, at a push.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1 Olympique Lyonnais 33 21 5 7 66 33 33 68

----------------------------------------------------

2 Girondins de Bordeaux 33 19 7 7 58 35 23 64

</pre>

Lyon are at Strasbourg, Bordeaux at Toulouse tomorrow. It'd be immense if Bordeaux can reel them in.

For the last CL place, Nancy have been faltering and so it appears to be more predictably Marseille now with the upper hand, but it's still very close. The loser gets UEFA Cup.

3 Olympique Marseille 33 15 10 8 49 35 14 55

4 AS Nancy Lorraine 33 14 13 6 37 24 13 55

</pre>

Everyone else is too far back to realistically chase it but the race for the Intertoto Cup place in 5th is crazy.

5 St Etienne 33 13 8 12 40 33 7 47

6 Nice 33 11 14 8 30 26 4 47

7 Le Mans 33 13 8 12 39 42 -3 47

8 Lille 33 10 16 7 36 27 9 46

9 Lorient 33 11 13 9 28 31 -3 46

10 Stade Rennais 33 12 9 12 36 39 -3 45

11 Valenciennes 33 12 8 13 39 32 7 44

12 Caen 33 11 10 12 36 45 -9 43

13 Sochaux 34 10 12 12 32 38 -6 42

</pre>

ASSE are the hot team, absolutely surging up the league, with others blowing hot and cold. Lille have strung together some impressive results to pull clear of any relegation trouble and give themselves a shot with a really poor squad.

And so to the relegation battle.

14 AS Monaco 33 11 7 15 33 41 -8 40

15 AJ Auxerre 33 11 7 15 29 43 -14 40

16 Toulouse 33 8 14 11 30 34 -4 38

17 RC Lens 34 9 11 14 38 45 -7 38

18 Paris S.G. 33 8 11 14 30 38 -8 35

19 RC Strasbourg 33 9 8 16 29 39 -10 35

20 FC Metz 33 4 7 22 23 58 -35 19 R

</pre>

Lens winning earlier was a massive result, piles the pressure right on PSG to win tonight away to Caen, not an easy game at all. Their run-in includes lots of teams in and around them

Caen A

Auxerre H

Toulouse A

ASSE H

Sochaux A

They were in similar bother last year and squeaked to safety, their saving grace this year might be the number of poorer teams in there too. Either way, they're in Europe from the League Cup win, and are in the French Cup Semis as well.

Tonight's games

Auxerre vs Metz

Caen vs PSG

Lens 3-2 Sochaux FT

Nancy vs Le Mans

Nice vs Monaco

Rennes vs Valenciennes

Saint Etienne vs Lorient

Strasbourg vs Lyon

Phil, how good are Sankhare and Sakho?

I thought Sakho was largly medicore in the U17s world cup last summer, but he promptly left the tournament and became Paris SG's (and Ligue 1) youngester ever captain in one game - so shows what I know.

• Administrators
Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Phil, how good are Sankhare and Sakho?

I thought Sakho was largly medicore in the U17s world cup last summer, but he promptly left the tournament and became Paris SG's (and Ligue 1) youngester ever captain in one game - so shows what I know.

Sakho's awesome, that was a poor French side outside of Saivet and him really, he's gonna be an absolute beast. Sankharé's gonna take longer, is quite skilled though.

PSG in proper bother now \o/

Cayzac gives up PSG presidency

Michel Moulin has taken over as Paris Saint-Germain FC president from Alain Cayzac as the club struggle to avoid relegation from Ligue 1.

Relegation fight

PSG lost 3-0 at SM Caen this weekend and sit third from bottom of the 20-team top flight, three points adrift of RC Lens and safety with four games remaining. Cayzac, a long-time PSG director, was appointed president when American firm Colony Capital took control of the capital-based side two years ago. His replacement is the chief executive of publishers Hersant Médias.

Statement

According to a PSG statement: "Understanding the need to make a decision and carry out shock treatment, but having not been involved in the discussion process and not agreeing with this, Alain Cayzac has chosen to tender his resignation to the board at their next meeting." Colony Capital representative Sébastien Bazin added: "It's a tough but necessary decision considering the current situation of the club. It does not detract from the outstanding job Alain Cayzac has done at Paris Saint-Germain in particularly demanding circumstances." PSG, who are coached by Paul Le Guen, lifted the French League Cup at Lens's expense last month.

As much as I want them to stay up, I think it's more and more likely they'll go down icon_frown.gif

i will laugh loudly if psg go down icon14.gif

i will also laugh, albeit not as loudlym if marseille don't get into the CL (although that is also pro-nancy)

metz are comical and i have totally failed to get myself organised to pop the 50km over the border to watch them even once :/, just better hope they get promoted next season.

thinking about it, if nancy get into the CL, could be tempted to pop the extra 50km down from metz to watch a european match there...

saw today that grenoble were in 3rd in Ligue 2, bit of a surprise and they will be my favourite L1 club next season if they go up. lived there for a year and they have a cool new stadium as well.

Originally posted by Santa, look at my pert arse!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Why the hate on Strasbourg?

Thread always dropping down before I see it icon_biggrin.gif

Mainly - racist club and racist fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alsace and Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur are probably the most right wing regions in France. Strasbourg is the biggest city in Alsace btw.

Originally posted by Victor_Renner:

PSG are crumbling. As much as I wouldn't want to see it, as they're still a name in French football, it might do them good to go down and just kind of start fresh and build a new team.

Yeah but not having PSG in League Une would be bad for French football in general (club football that is) and it's already doing pretty bad, even Lyon isn't as good as these past few seasons this year.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Victor_Renner:

PSG are crumbling. As much as I wouldn't want to see it, as they're still a name in French football, it might do them good to go down and just kind of start fresh and build a new team.

Yeah but not having PSG in League Une would be bad for French football in general (club football that is) and it's already doing pretty bad, even Lyon isn't as good as these past few seasons this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Victor_Renner might have a point there. If you for instance look at teams like Atletico Madrid or Fiorentina going down did them good. And PSG has been crap for ages now. Maybe a relegation would "clean up" inside the club

• Administrators

PSG got a win tonight, 3-1 at home to Auxerre, Diané with two. It currently hauls them level with Lens and Toulouse, both currently losing 3-2 at Le Mans and Lille.

Caen holding Lyon in Gerland but Bordeaux being held by Nice, there's seconds to go across all games.

Originally posted by Orzelek:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meitheisman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Victor_Renner:

Yeah but not having PSG in League Une would be bad for French football in general (club football that is) and it's already doing pretty bad, even Lyon isn't as good as these past few seasons this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Victor_Renner might have a point there. If you for instance look at teams like Atletico Madrid or Fiorentina going down did them good. And PSG has been crap for ages now. Maybe a relegation would "clean up" inside the club </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, that's one of the hypothesis but I'd rather hope for the French League's sake that PSG can bounce back to the top without having to go through relegation, and it has been done by a bunch of teams in the past too. There will be a lot of changes in Paris next season whether they're in Ligue Une or Deux as well.

• Administrators

UNFP Award Finalists named last night

Ligue 1 :

Meilleur joueur :

Karim Benzema (Olympique Lyonnais)

Mamadou Niang (Olympique de Marseille)

Jérémy Toulalan (Olympique Lyonnais)

Geraldo Wendel (Girondins de Bordeaux)

Meilleur espoir :

Hatem Ben Arfa (Olympique Lyonnais)

Yohan Cabaye (Lille)

Mevlut Erding (FC Sochaux)

Miralem Pjanic (FC Metz)

Meilleur gardien :

Hugo Lloris (OGC Nice)

Steve Mandanda (Olympique de Marseille)

Vincent Planté (SM Caen)

Ulrich Ramé (Girondins de Bordeaux)

Meilleur entraîneur :

Laurent Blanc (Girondins de Bordeaux)

Eric Gerets (Olympique de Marseille)

Christian Gourcuff (FC Lorient)

Claude Puel (Lille)

Mathieu Bodmer (Olympique Lyonnais) lors de Lyon - Bordeaux : 4-2 (28e journée)

Jérôme Leroy (Stade Rennais) lors de Rennes - Lens : 3-1 (30e journée)

Daisuke Matsui (Le Mans UC 72) lors de Monaco - Le Mans : 3-1 (5e journée)

Steve Savidan (Valenciennes lors de Valenciennes - Lens : 1-2 (22e journée)<A HREF="http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/valbuena%2Bcaen/video/x4wxks_valbuena-caen_sport" TARGET=_blank>

Mathieu Valbuena (Olympique de Marseille) lors de Marseille - Caen : 6-1 (23e journée)</A>

After yesterday's games, PSG still sit 18th with 2 left to play. Level on points though with Lens, and Toulouse - who they drew 1-1 with, Toulouse's equaliser coming with three minutes to play.

Strasbourg are as good as gone after losing 3-0 at Nancy.

Lyon drew at Nice, so Bordeaux can close the gap to two points tonight, but they have to go to Marseille to do it.

And not forgetting French Cup semi finals this midweek icon_smile.gif PSG face Amiens on Tuesday and should get to their 2nd final of the season (should), and Lyon play Sedan on Wednesday.

And "People from the North" (of France) is not a race afaik so it isn't racist and tbf the sign they had in Paris wasn't even the worst one this season, the media just decided to make a huge deal out of this one because Sarkozy was in the stadium for the game and he did not like the sign.

Marseille vs Bordeaux teams:

30 MANDANDA

3 TAIWO

15 ZUBAR

24 BONNART

7 CHEYROU

12 KABORE

17 M'BAMI

19 CANA ©

22 NASRI

9 CISSE

11 NIANG

Substitutes

1 CARRASSO

5 FATY

32 GIVET

10 ZENDEN

28 VALBUENA

2 AKALE

18 GRANDIN

16 RAME ©

3 HENRIQUE

6 JURIETTI

14 DIAWARA

21 CHALME

4 DIARRA

7 MICOUD

8 ALONSO

17 WENDEL

26 OBERTAN

29 CHAMAKH

Substitutes

30 VALVERDE

13 JEMMALI

27 PLANUS

28 TREMOULINAS

19 DUCASSE

9 CAVENAGHI

11 BELLION

Originally posted by Victor_Renner:

Of course that should be "Bordeaux will be two points behind Lyon".

And they are 2 points behind now icon_frown.gif

Did you see the goals of Bordeaux @ Marseille?

Marseille's goal's a fluke from Rame. Bordeaux' first is a beautiful FK by Wendel and the last one is a first timer from outside the box by Ducasse, all of them are worth a look if you get a chance.

Archived