Poll on Steam activation

What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?

• I Hate It
    • I Don't Care
    • I like it

You will get banned if you are hacked and you will lose every game you have. People have also been wrongly banned with a faulty cheat check.

Which gets sorted out, i remember a few folk from forums getting banned because of problems with the banhammer, but steam sorted them out the legitimate complaints, most of the people caught who complained were cheating, simple as.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think SI or Sega need to post a blog about Steam and what it does, resources and to quash the misinformation people have.

Honestly, it won't make a licking bit of difference.

Some people simply hate online activation, and they are very vocal. Their reasons, whatever they are, are strong enough that a bit of rationalising won't change their minds.

At the end of the day, if they hate it that much, they won't buy the product. SI make these decisions because they know that the loss of sales from people who refuse to online activate using Steam, whatever that number might be (because it's impossible to determine from a bunch of protesters on a forum) is dwarfed by the effective reduction in piracy. They wouldn't make the decision otherwise, they're not stupid.

Postal address:

PO BOX 1688

Bellevue, WA 98009

Found it one minute.

Didn't find phone number - but I'm sure I could.

Read. Please.

That is not a support address. Writing to them with a support problem will not be answered.

Once again, Steam do not have telephone support. Calling them with a technical problem will get you referred to to the online ticket system. They don't have phone support. Is there any more misinformation you want to spread? along with your erroneous "you can quite steam once you've launched the game" claim?

See here;

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1682357&page=3

They have a phone number (duh) but you can't use it to get support.

You will get banned if you are hacked and you will lose every game you have. People have also been wrongly banned with a faulty cheat check.

what absolute rubbish, I've had several friends who got hacked due to stupidity and they all got their accounts and games back, and for those wondering how they got hacked, it was through being online (which by the sounds of it those who will get steam and dont want to be online will therefore not have to deal with) was by getting sent random conversation requests and clicking on a link.

Don't be an idiot and you won't get hacked, and even if you do somehow get hacked, you get all your stuff back from steam aslong as you ensure you can prove it is your account

Sega/SI are a UK company so you have consumer rights and they couldnt do that without a very good reason.

Steam is a US company that you have zero rights with, they can and do wrongly ban accounts with no comeback, the often wont even tell you why your account was banned.

Here, let me tell you my story with steam support, because unlike you i'm going to base it off something that happened and isn't a retell with a 13 year old skipping all the important details. I had my account stolen from me one day, no idea how, keylogger perhaps? Either way, i reformatted my PC and got in touch with steam support. Their FAQ page said to provide us with a receipt of everything we bought on that account and to contact support with details of what happened. Got my account back in one day.

You might be serious, but you have no actual idea how steam support works, of and hows this, Gabe Newell(the boss of Valve) replies to all emails personally. You pulled that out of your arse a bit mate, sorry. Steam support and customer relations in general, are among the top you can ever get, they give out free games at times, and gave out free Orange Box gifts to some people who owned it.

Philly flyer, do us a favour, get out of this topic as you obviously lack even the simplest grasp on the subject being discussed and grasping at straws.

Your privacy is not being invaded by using Steam! You're privacy is invaded when you use the internet though. You might stop somethings, but not them all. Most of those things are inhibitors, in that it stops pop-ups, but it's very hard to stop them tracking or analysing where you have gone after you've left that site.

Don't suppose you use mobile internet, wifi, mobile phone, or send emails then?

You're a fool!, sorry but you're talking rubbish :) you obviously have no clue about what websites can really do to your machine so please shut up...

but to answer your question, I don't use mobile internet, my mobile phone is very basic (I don't want/need a "smart" phone) and I rarely send emails, I receive plenty though (that I generally add to the block list ;) ). I've managed my own system security for many years, even to the point that, at one time, I didn't even use (nor need) an AV program on my computer. I'm fully clued up on what happens when I go where and what I have to do to prevent it, and most times I choose to prevent it, just like now...

I'm preventing steam from compromising my very solid security just in order to play a game. It's SI's loss in the long run, not mine, as I'll find something else to occupy my limited free-time instead :)

Well according to the poll - SI have lost 33% or so of it's customers from this forum

39 people in total.

Compared to the 67% people that use this forum will keep it going.

If that trends keeps up - and they get their deluded 25% marketshare back from people who pirated in the past and are now buying the game - they'll be sitting pretty.

I'm preventing steam from compromising my very solid security just in order to play a game. It's SI's loss in the long run, not mine, as I'll find something else to occupy my limited free-time instead :)

it really wont be mate, it will your loss, your one copy will be forgotten about in a second, you really are the only one who will suffer with your stance, which is a shame some of your thoughts on FM are quite good.

You're a fool!, sorry but you're talking rubbish :) you obviously have no clue about what websites can really do to your machine so please shut up...

Please be respectful.

I know a lot about websites and what they can do. And I know exactly what I can do on my machine.

That's why I'm here trying to talk you down.

but to answer your question, I don't use mobile internet, my mobile phone is very basic (I don't want/need a "smart" phone) and I rarely send emails, I receive plenty though (that I generally add to the block list ;) ). I've managed my own system security for many years, even to the point that, at one time, I didn't even use (nor need) an AV program on my computer. I'm fully clued up on what happens when I go where and what I have to do to prevent it, and most times I choose to prevent it, just like now...

Clearly you're not.

Steam will not compromise your "solid security". It's essentially your loss. The game will go on for many years. You're the one not playing it. SI and FM was here long before you and will be here long after you've gone.

who has decided this is the way to go?? if its SI then very disappointed, if its sega then I hope SI will realise that this is not the company for them as they did with the old company (its name shall not be spoken)

I'd love to know of the people who love steam do they play fm anywhere but at home? not everyone always has an internet connection, what if your switching suppliers? you'll be left without fm while this is happening, I dont like steam because I've had problems with it in the past, plus all this 3rd party issue

I dont see why when I buy something I have to do something else before I can use the product

why cant they give people the option to use steam or not

unfortunately its all about the money, not customer happiness

Well according to the poll - SI have lost 33% or so of it's customers from this forum

39 people in total.

Compared to the 67% people that use this forum will keep it going.

If that trends keeps up - and they get their deluded 25% marketshare back from people who pirated in the past and are now buying the game - they'll be sitting pretty.

Just because they hate it does not mean that most of them won't buy FM. I think a lot of the people who dislike steam will not be able to resist and will still buy FM12 when it comes out.

I'd love to know of the people who love steam do they play fm anywhere but at home? not everyone always has an internet connection, what if your switching suppliers? you'll be left without fm while this is happening, I dont like steam because I've had problems with it in the past, plus all this 3rd party issue

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DUNEB

My Steam account. I play offline the rare time my internet fails me. It just asks me to restart in offline mode whenever I don't have an internet connection, in the case of moving and whatnot. I install Steam on whatever computer I get my hands on and download the games I want from there. I won't be left without FM considering I can just play it in offline mode as I'll definitely have it installed.

Q

look its simple, steam can be used OFFLINE, after the game is installed you will never need the internet again unless you want to update.

Stu - you only need to ACTIVATE the game through Steam.

Once that is done you can turn Steam to Offline mode and play away. You won't need an internet connection.

If you're swapping suppliers, and haven't installed the game yet, then you'll have to wait until you have a connection. Or go to a friends house that has internet, install steam and the game. Switch to offline mode and you won't need the internet anymore.

Furthermore, once the game is running you can quite Steam and play away. If you want to start up FM again, you can turn on Steam in Offline Mode and launch the game.

who has decided this is the way to go?? if its SI then very disappointed, if its sega then I hope SI will realise that this is not the company for them as they did with the old company (its name shall not be spoken)

I dont see why when I buy something I have to do something else before I can use the product

why cant they give people the option to use steam or not

unfortunately its all about the money, not customer happiness

Steam does offer an offline mode, if you're travelling and using your laptop, simply install FM12 on it beforehand, copy your saves from steam cloud, set it to offline mode and off you go. That wasnt so hard now was it?

And Eugene, you CANNOT EVER quit steam while a steam game is running, might want to correct that :p

Just because they hate it does not mean that most of them won't buy FM. I think a lot of the people who dislike steam will not be able to resist and will still buy FM12 when it comes out.

exactly, most of the people in the two threads will still buy the game, after the next few weeks the hysteria will have calmed down and everyone can think rationally again.

Q

look its simple, steam can be used OFFLINE, after the game is installed you will never need the internet again unless you want to update.

Offline mode is not reliable for everyone. This is my biggest problem with Steam, Offline mode has as much chance as working as not for me, and I'm not really sure why. Steam support have not been able to help me with it either. It's a common(ish) problem.

Offline mode is not reliable for everyone.

well i can only speak from experience, i went 6 months without the net after buying FM09 through steam never had a single problem loading the game, most of the time my laptop is offline and i never struggle with FM11. The chances of you not being able to play steam are about the same as your ISP dropping out when your on the net.

Steam does offer an offline mode, if you're travelling and using your laptop, simply install FM12 on it beforehand, copy your saves from steam cloud, set it to offline mode and off you go. That wasnt so hard now was it?

And Eugene, you CANNOT EVER quit steam while a steam game is running, might want to correct that :p

see now that is such a silly statement isnt it? if you've read even half the comments on this thread you'd realise that the steam offline mode hasnt worked properly for alot of people myself included, so please get your facts right before spouting off, maybe if you'd had a problem with steam maybe you wont make such silly comments!!!

Offline mode works perfectly for me, and the odd 60 people we had at LAN. It's very STRICT in what you can do and you have to be very CAREFUL not to balls it up while using it but if you do the following:

1. Set your password to save automatically

2. Log into steam

3. Hit change to offline mode

4. Disconnect internet

5. ???

6. Profit!

Extra: If you accidentaly close steam, it will offer you the option to start in offline mode due to you saving your password! Fool proof at this stage but hey, people find creative ways to screw up everything, it's quite impressive.

I have 6 years of experience with steam, i have used it since it actually was a pain, never ONCE has the following failed for me or anyone else i know. It's just simply you doing it wrong, if perchance there actually is something, provide a screenshot and i bet we can find some way to fix it so that everyone is happy

offline mode requires an internet connection to start, which is a bit of a contradiction in what it is. It seems that if your internet connection goes down you can still play the games, just cannot launch them, regardless of if you're in that mode, so isn't it a bit pointless?

I like steam :thup: I couldn't care less that some people are too stupid to use or trust themselves in charge of a computer.

Offline mode is not reliable for everyone. This is my biggest problem with Steam, Offline mode has as much chance as working as not for me, and I'm not really sure why. Steam support have not been able to help me with it either. It's a common(ish) problem.

Hmm probably you went online, and forgot to set 'go back to offline mode' before logging off. That happened to me once when I was taking my laptop into work on the weekend to fill in some quiet time. I just plugged into work lan, connected, set 'work offline', and logged off. That was that and I was right as rain.

offline mode requires an internet connection to start, which is a bit of a contradiction in what it is. It seems that if your internet connection goes down you can still play the games, just cannot launch them, so isn't it a bit pointless?
It does not, if you have your password saved it will offer you to start steam in offline mode automatically, otherwise yes, you will need to be logged in regularly. As for further offline mode information, you can only play FULLY UPDATED games, so be careful about that.

And a helpful link for everyone:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Hmm probably you went online, and forgot to set 'go back to offline mode' before logging off. That happened to me once when I was taking my laptop into work on the weekend to fill in some quiet time. I just plugged into work lan, connected, set 'work offline', and logged off. That was that and I was right as rain.

Trust me, I've been through everything with Steam support. It's nothing simple.

In years of using it it's rarely worked like that. I could have been using a computer for months and loading the same game every day, but if I tried to again, for instance on the train where there's no connection, it said it required internet. Passwords etc are saved and all settings are as they should be.

Take an example. A few months ago I had to catch a train at lunchtime. I was playing FM as usual in the morning and closed it about 11, then put my computer to sleep shortly after. At about 12:30 I took it out, set Steam to offline and tried to launch the game, at which point it said I needed internet connection. Why? If it's due to needing the internet to set it to 'offline', then that's the point I was suggesting.

edit: disc was in too.

I'm 99.9% certain you can. Once it's launched and running.

I'll try it out this evening when I get home. Which it's quitting time now.

Offline mode works perfectly for me, and the odd 60 people we had at LAN. It's very STRICT in what you can do and you have to be very CAREFUL not to balls it up while using it but if you do the following:

1. Set your password to save automatically

2. Log into steam

3. Hit change to offline mode

4. Disconnect internet

5. ???

6. Profit!

Extra: If you accidentaly close steam, it will offer you the option to start in offline mode due to you saving your password! Fool proof at this stage but hey, people find creative ways to screw up everything, it's quite impressive.

I have 6 years of experience with steam, i have used it since it actually was a pain, never ONCE has the following failed for me or anyone else i know. It's just simply you doing it wrong, if perchance there actually is something, provide a screenshot and i bet we can find some way to fix it so that everyone is happy

wow, thank you so much clearly im an idiot who cant do the simplest of tasks as in following previous instructions!!!

of course this is what I've done in the past but why would you stick with something that cause you a problem when I can just (by magic) put in a disc and play a game! clearly theres not just myself who doesnt like steam it seems theres quite a few of us who have problems with it!

also to me it seems that somewhere along the line someone forgot about the fans! fm was quite fine before steam and clearly not everyone likes it, but if you like steam then use it but if you dont like it then you should have the option to not use it, we shouldnt be forced to

Alright, i'll provide screenshots then(check date of creation if you dont believe that im doing this without any manipulation, the only manipulation i did was to convert ingame screenshot to png as print screen doesnt render them properly)

Online steam...

Launching the game

Ingame and updated

Confirming settings are set up properly

Offline mode

Launching again...

Aaaaand tada

You can see steam is offline due to it claiming that steam is not running(not connecting to the servers), so really, i dont know why it doesnt work for anyone else it worked perfectly for me, perhaps FM is strange and does not support offline mode in some way? SI will have to clarify on that as i dont have either my jewel case manual or anything other than the disc left(thanks mum!)

People will find the smallest nitpick and run it into the ground as hard as they can and squeeze every possible thing out of it in order to proove their point, i think everyone is fully aware of that. Fact of the matter, steam should work perfectly, if it does not, find the error and fix it. It's strange that ONE GAME would be unable to run in offline mode.

Same goes for steam, theyve wrongly banned accounts in the past and theres no UK law to help you out. You can lose access to all your games just because they say so. I dont even think buying elsewhere and activating it on steam will help you out here.

This is not the first time you spread ******** and lies over your hate for steam ,

Accounts are only banned ( disabled because you can contact support and defend yourself ) in case of credit card fraud .

Being banned on games that use VAC ( Valve - Anti cheat ) only bans you from playing on secure servers with anti cheat on , you dont losse your game you just have to play on non secure servers

Fm doesn't use VAC so its not an issue .

Any questions people have with steam i an glad to answer

You forgot to add at absolutely no inconvenience to the customer, but a few bonuses.

Bertie, major question though, will the game support steam cloud?

I really don't think it will reduce the amount of people pirating at all. It won't make any difference. They still download, and install the game with cracks the very same way. All you are doing is upsetting some of your paying customers.

Depends, most pirates arent a smart bunch, there are a few that are but most start crying if a release comes out that doesnt work and sometimes end up buying it, you'd be surprised at how many people have troubles lifting a slight finger in order to pirate something thats harder to crack than a regular non-drm game. As for upsetting customers, that's easily fixed by providing incentives to use steam, such as steam cloud and steamworks, it would be a missed oppurtunity on SI's end not to do it.

why not try to sell more games to counter the piracy?

say you sell 100 units and get 20 units pirated, why not try to sell 120 units even if 30 get pirated?

not saying I disagree with SI/SEGA's stance.

I think it can go without saying that we try and sell as many games as we can each year.

I'm looking forward to SI/Sega's pyrrhic victory on piracy with this introduction.

Sales numbers aren't going to grow - you've lost one method for people to buy your product. Sega seem determined to reduce piracy, but ignore the bottom line - sales - the only way you can gain sales is by selling more copies. This isn't going to work.

Pyrrhic victory. Just watch.

The Big difference between FM11 and FM12 for me is that with FM11 i bought the game with full rights to resell it. I'm essentially leasing FM12 i'm buying the right to play it but i don't own it. Who's to say what I will be Paying for with FM13 the right to play until FM14 is released and FM13 is deactivated?

Do you though? Are you saying they aren't any ways you could maybe improve or simply alter your stance on marketing, or even just your position in the market, to gain new followers? Viral advertising or something that's 'in' right now, which is perhaps a better use of time and resources than someone trying to resolve a problem that, in reality, can never be done.

Does having pretty much the same pricing and/or release strategy for a decade scream of trying to maximise sales, or of satisfaction? Obviously I'm not suggesting anything risky, but there's only so much you can achieve from standing in the same spot.

I remember the day I got a CM01/02 demo in my cereal. :D

Wow, some people are getting so worked up over this. Relax people!

We had to activate for a previous version (was it 09? Can't remember), and whilst I had some problems getting started it was fine after that and didn't exactly change my life, so it's no great hardship to do it again. Yes a little annoying, but I won't be losing sleep over this, I have plenty more important things for that!

So I voted for 'I don't care'.

Archived