Poll on Steam activation

What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?

• I Hate It
    • I Don't Care
    • I like it

I'm assuming you mean the 'I hate it' people, but I'm not sure how they can be described as ignorant. Surely for anyone that is currently choosing not to run Steam this is bad news?

They have no proof to back up their absurd claims regarding Steam.

Steam DOES NOT use up "massive amounts of ram" as people were saying earlier. The max I've seen it is 200k and currently its 90k.

Steam DOES NOT take your personal information WITHOUT permission like EA's Origin as people are saying.

Steam DOES NOT effect your experience in any way. There is no reason for hate on it, it's more helpful then not. Who wants to carry around a disc whenever they take a vacation/holiday?

There is no reason why you SHOULDN'T like Steam besides complete ignorance.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steam DOES NOT use up "massive amounts of ram" as people were saying earlier. The max I've seen it is 200k and currently its 90k.

Steam DOES NOT take your personal information WITHOUT permission like EA's Origin as people are saying.

Steam DOES NOT effect your experience in any way. There is no reason for hate on it, it's more helpful then not. Who wants to carry around a disc whenever they take a vacation/holiday?

the last time i had to use steam to play fm, i virtually had to pay for a completely new system, had to have it completely repaired and removed from my pc. tried installing steam again and the same thing occured. So youl understand that i dont want to use steam EVER again!

it will be very interesting to see the sales figures next year for FM12, i personally cant see SI suffering, i can also see a lot of people calming down and thinking about it again when the fanfare of this has passed, SI are not daft, they knew this would cause outrage, and most likely some of SI dont agree with it, but they will do everything they can to make sure we dont have any issues, time will tell i guess.

I don't think I've personally made any absurd claims about Steam, but I honestly can't see a reason why I should like it compared to the previous systems of FM10 and FM09. For me, I'd rather have the disc in the drive (or use something like unilock) than have an extra program just to be able to load my only PC game. I can see why PC gamers like it though, I bet it is great for people who buy and play multiple games.

I agree with Dune. People are being ignornant bout it.

Why? What's ignorant about trying it, finding it's unreliable (for me, not saying that's the case for everyone) and disliking it based on that experience. That's no more ignorant or arrogant than insisting Steam is great simply because it is for you.

I don't think I've personally made any absurd claims about Steam, but I honestly can't see a reason why I should like it compared to the previous systems of FM10 and FM09. For me, I'd rather have the disc in the drive (or use something like unilock) than have an extra program just to be able to load my only PC game. I can see why PC gamers like it though, I bet it is great for people who buy and play multiple games.

But why are you so dead against it? Hopefully we can discuss this without someone saying "he doesnt have to justify why".

I can understand you dont see the point because you will only play FM, but what is the big problem with that, the only time you will ever have to use it is when you play FM, the rest of the time it doesnt have to run, the resources it uses you would not notice anyway, it will not slow down your pc to any extent you would notice, fractions of a second maybe.

Yeh but you old people are all paranoid about this kind of thing:p

Why? What's ignorant about trying it, finding it's unreliable (for me, not saying that's the case for everyone) and disliking it based on that experience. That's no more ignorant or arrogant than insisting Steam is great simply because it is for you.

And how is it unreliable? Everyone is making up things about it but not going into detail.

Dafuge, I hope it stops some piracy. I really do.

I work in an industry where piracy of software is destroying my trade.

So I feel for SI and Sega. People deserve to be paid for their work. And they should reserve the right to claim that payment through any means necessary.

Even if sales drop and they don't sell as much, but Piracy also drops then it's a victory.

But I don't suspect sales or piracy to drop. If anything they both will increase.

I hate to see this.

But fact is, not installing Steam won't help anyone. It will just encourage less sales, more Piracy and in the end thieves win.

We can't let that happen. So buy the game - install Steam. get over it. (not directed at anyone)

It's not for me. I am not entirely happy with it. In fact I hate the fact that we have to do this. I don't like it one bit.

But what I hate even more is the negativity towards it based on absolutely nothing.

I don't know why you dislike Steam. Nobody has given a concise argument other than ill informed statements of violations of privacy or other non-sense.

I understand SI plight. And I support them in protecting their work. And that's my stance. If that's what they think will help the FM series going forward, then I'm in.

But why are you so dead against it? Hopefully we can discuss this without someone saying "he doesnt have to justify why".

I can understand you dont see the point because you will only play FM, but what is the big problem with that, the only time you will ever have to use it is when you play FM, the rest of the time it doesnt have to run, the resources it uses you would not notice anyway, it will not slow down your pc to any extent you would notice, fractions of a second maybe.

My point is that it is a backwards step for me.

FM11 - load FM11 - play FM11

FM12 - load Steam - load FM12 - play FM12

There's an extra step in the second one, one that I previously did not have.

And how is it unreliable? Everyone is making up things about it but not going into detail.

Because it didn't work in offline mode, which was a huge problem for me. And nothing fixed it, no matter how many times settings were changed or Steam reinstalled. Even a friend who is a Steam fan couldn't sort it. Now it's possible this was due to some software conflict or something as opposed to simply being Steam's fault, but I have never had any issue with any other form of authentication for FM, only Steam.

There's your detail, nothing made up. Happier now?

Dafuge, I hope it stops some piracy. I really do.

I work in an industry where piracy of software is destroying my trade.

So I feel for SI and Sega. People deserve to be paid for their work. And they should reserve the right to claim that payment through any means necessary.

Even if sales drop and they don't sell as much, but Piracy also drops then it's a victory.

But I don't suspect sales or piracy to drop. If anything they both will increase.

I hate to see this.

But fact is, not installing Steam won't help anyone. It will just encourage less sales, more Piracy and in the end thieves win.

We can't let that happen. So buy the game - install Steam. get over it. (not directed at anyone)

Actually it will help me, it will help me to remain in control of what software I have running on my computer and what software I don't. Steam is an undesirable piece of software for me, and for that reason it will not be installed onto my computer. As Steam is a compulsory requirement to play FM12, I shall also not be installing that onto my computer. I DO want to do the latter, I WILL NOT do the former, therefore I won't be playing the game - and I was really looking forward to it too :(

Have Steam automatically start when your computer starts. Problem solved, you won't even notice it.

Actually it will help me, it will help me to remain in control of what software I have running on my computer and what software I don't. Steam is an undesirable piece of software for me, and for that reason it will not be installed onto my computer. As Steam is a compulsory requirement to play FM12, I shall also not be installing that onto my computer. I DO want to do the latter, I WILL NOT do the former, therefore I won't be playing the game - and I was really looking forward to it too :(

Is it because of paranoia or just plain stupidity that you won't install a program that won't effect you in any way for something you really want?

And yet everyone complaining is utterly refusing to provide pictures(offline mode people, i posted pictures on it working perfectly, albeit a different game), so provide some pictures backing up your claim. And as i said, people who say they wont buy the game, are you willing to actually stick to that? No, you wont, you think you will but you wont, it ends up like any other boycott(as in, people WILL buy it).

Don't be such a divvie, you double click on the FM12 icon and it boots steam then FM without you doing anything, no extra clicks atall.

Is it because of paranoia or just plain stupidity that you won't install a program that won't effect you in any way for something you really want?

Excuse me? I resent that remark, A lot! I'm not stupid, far from it... and who are you to say that I am? Just because I don't want to install an unnecessary and unwanted piece of software makes me stupid does it?

I know who the stupid ones are, and they aren't those against Steam...

not true, after you install FM through steam it puts an icon on your desktop like normal, you only have to click this, it will do the rest for you, no need to start up steam on its own first, it loads quicker than it did from CD as well, honestly steam is not the devil.

And yet everyone complaining is utterly refusing to provide pictures(offline mode people, i posted pictures on it working perfectly, albeit a different game), so provide some pictures backing up your claim. And as i said, people who say they wont buy the game, are you willing to actually stick to that? No, you wont, you think you will but you wont, it ends up like any other boycott(as in, people WILL buy it).

i 100% will not buy the game if i have to install steam on my system.

Excuse me? I resent that remark, A lot! I'm not stupid, far from it... and who are you to say that I am? Just because I don't want to install an unnecessary and unwanted piece of software makes me stupid does it?

why are the people who are happy using steam stupid?

And what's the point in not having it to an extent where you can't run your favorite game? Is there so much of a point as boycotting it for something that won't even effect you?

WTH? If you must remove my posts then remove the offending one too

or I'll just continue re-quoting and you'll continue deleting....

You should be dishing infractions for the original post not deleting it's response... get your priorities right (even though your morals have disappeared)

No, sadly you and dafuge are probably the only ones with a valid reason on why not to install steam. Everyone else is fear mongering or just being a colossal moron.

Who are you to call me stupid? What on earth gives you the right to do that?

Simply because I do not want an unnecessary and unwanted piece of software on my computer, that makes me an idiot does it?

I know who the idiots are, and it isn't those against Steam...

not true, after you install FM through steam it puts an icon on your desktop like normal, you only have to click this, it will do the rest for you, no need to start up steam on its own first, it loads quicker than it did from CD as well, honestly steam is not the devil.

I've tried it and I think that the time to load Steam then FM is about three times longer than FM alone. Granted that the time is minimal, but there is still a difference.

I've tried it and I think that the time to load Steam then FM is about three times longer than FM alone. Granted that the time is minimal, but there is still a difference.

How old is your PC? You won't notice a difference if it is up to date.

I just timed it on my machine, 15 seconds from clicking on the the icon, to the game starting loading, in offline mode as well. It really cant be used as a reason can it?

Dafuge has a point really, steam takes FOREVER to start up first time after your boot up your PC, it's quite an intensive program with a fair few features after all(optimization being an after though). The time starting up the games themselves is negligible, however steam by itself, oh boy. Horrible, and i love the program, not something you want to put into your boot up sequence.

But as he stated, a "neccesary evil". If 15 seconds every time you want to boot up a game you could potentialy play for 6 hours wrecks your enjoyment... Well i hope to god you never have to travel anywhere to have fun. It's not a good thing but making you reconsider buying the game is just silly.

Who are you to call me stupid? What on earth gives you the right to do that?

Simply because I do not want an unnecessary and unwanted piece of software on my computer, that makes me an idiot does it?

I know who the idiots are, and it isn't those against Steam...

Over the line really. Compared to what you said to me earlier this was mild.

No, sadly you and dafuge are probably the only ones with a valid reason on why not to install steam. Everyone else is fear mongering or just being a colossal moron.

I'm neither fear mongering nor a moron. Steam did not work for me - fact. I have no desire to risk £30 on the notion that it may work this time, if I'm lucky. Therefore I stick with older versions and hope this year is a one off.

I'm neither fear mongering nor a moron. Steam did not work for me - fact. I have no desire to risk £30 on the notion that it may work this time, if I'm lucky. Therefore I stick with older versions and hope this year is a one off.

Completely missed you there, sorry. But the fact remains, theres some... well i'd rather not say in this topic, you know what i mean regardless :)

Why was steam not working however? Perhaps we can fix it and you can enjoy FM12 with the rest of us :)

That's the problem. With an old processor like that it's going to take a rather long time to start up. Ever think of upgrading?

Right so now we have, £30 for the game, an unnecessary piece of software, oh and 5-600 quid for a new computer just so you can run it reliably...

Great, I'm sold! Where do I sign?

:rolleyes:

That's the problem. With an old processor like that it's going to take a rather long time to start up. Ever think of upgrading?

It doesn't take a long time to load up, it just takes three times longer with Steam. I can load FM in 5 seconds without (not sure if that is quick or not?).

His processor is decent, his computer probably needs a format(yes yes, a shocking preposition, however if you want decent performance, yearly formats are the only way to go, and this does not only apply to steam)

Same here, but I can load it in 5 seconds without Steam.

so ten seconds is the problem?

I know its not just that but really when you break it all down its not that bad, maybe a very slight longer load time, one tiny extra progam that takes up no resources really, you have 8GB of RAM you have ample resources to run steam and FM and various other things if you wanted too.

Right so now we have, £30 for the game, an unnecessary piece of software, oh and 5-600 quid for a new computer just so you can run it reliably...

On the dotted line with a computer that is up to date and can last you 5 years.

You can put away the price of a cup of coffee for the next 5 years to save up for a new computer.

It's 5-600 quid for a new computer if you want to save 10 seconds per start up. It's not really needed but it's the only complaint really coming from you guys. I don't really understand how ten seconds is a significant amount of time.

Archived