Poll on Steam activation

What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?

• I Hate It
    • I Don't Care
    • I like it

Myth? So I haven't run it for two years plus on my laptop with FM09 then? Is that what you're saying?

This isn't a myth, my opinion is from BITTER experience... It's like Microsoft forcing everybody to have IE installed on their machine, it's wrong, it's illegal and it's immoral!

No, no, and THRICE NO! :mad:

hahahaha please tell me you're joking with this nonsense.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also feel that FM fans don't tend to be the hardcore gaming type who'd stand to save hundreds of pounds a year by pirating everything. I'd imagine most buy a few games a year, some of them probably just FM. It's easier to pay £20 than it is to learn how to pirate games. I've got plenty of mates who just buy FM, Fifa and GTA. I just do not believe that the majority of people who download the game even play it for more than a few minutes. They're not potential customers.

hahahaha please tell me you're joking with this nonsense.
Probably a bit of an overboard comparison... Today's OSes are expected to allow us to browse the Internet (and the boundary between "mine" and "Internet's" is becoming very blurred nowadays), so the bundling of Internet Explorer to Windows isn't an outlandish thing to have. Likewise we expect our OSes to be able to perform basic tasks such as telling the time and organising our files - hence the functionality.

What is immoral were the things Microsoft did in its million-or-so antitrust lawsuits with regards to the browser wars. It's immoral because... Well, you only need to look at the browser wars nowadays, with a healthy competition between IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, lynx and so on.

Choice is good. Choice is always good.

Hmm. I don't like it. I prefer the "use the CD at all times" option which I've done for FM09, FM10 and FM11. Now, I don't know if I'll decide against buying the game just because of Steam. I'm interested in knowing whether or not it is possible to force activation via Steam while still allowing you to uninstall Steam afterwards and continue playing? It's been a long time since I've touched Steam and I just don't like the idea of logging into third party software just so I can play a game.

Also, if I buy the game in a store and play it using Steam, can Steam still block me from playing? If for some reason my account is lost, banned or whatever, can I still just re-activate the game again on a different login? Or is this how Steam does things? I'm honestly not sure. I think I only ever played one game on Steam and, again, it was quite some time ago and obviously not long enough for me to get a real opinion of the system. All I got out of my Steam experience is that it was an annoyance and I was happy to uninstall it, much like I was happy to uninstall that Raptor software some games come with.

It's really disappointing more than anything. And I will be stunned if somehow this genuinely stops the piracy of the game. If I were to visit a torrent site the day after buying a game, would I see Football Manager 2012 there? I'm fairly confident I would. I buy the game because I love it, and I like having physical copies of games. I'm glad that SI aren't stopping me from being able to buy the game at stores because of that. But do I have to install Steam just to stop people pirating the game? Is this a realistic expectation? Again, I'll be stunned if any PC game out there is not pirated. It's, rather sadly, the way of things. Console gaming fixes a lot of that, and I suppose Xbox Live and Playstation Network are effectively the same as Steam, but I just don't like the idea of having a software literally controlling the access to my games. PSN / XBL do not control access to games. Steam does. I guess that's the difference. And that's the part I don't like. =/

EDIT: If this is just down to people pirating the game BEFORE the day of release, perhaps SI could release another no-Steam-required game a month or two later? I would honestly wait that long if it meant I could buy the game without requiring Steam. :) I don't mind the idea of Steam being required for activation. I just mind the idea of Steam being required to play the game for all eternity (or at least until FM2013).

Okay let's flip this round, from your perspective - do you as a customer particularly enjoy the fact knowing you've paid for a product and helped support it, when there's other people out there who have done the same thing for free and potentially put the future of the game itself in the balance?

There's many people out there still pining for the return of EHM which sadly no longer exists mainly due to piracy. And it's certainly not the first series to have been hit hard by piracy. So I would suggest that yes, piracy is a pretty big issue.

Not entirely true. You didn't market to the right audience. I live in Canada and I didn't hear about the game until I saw a copy of EHM05 at Wal-Mart (and it was literally only one copy mixed in with a bunch of other games). Market the game to Canada and the US and maybe we would still have EHM. You tried to sell the game to the wrong audience in Europe. Frankly we didn't know anything about it. And trust me, every hockey fan in Canada/US would love EHM and have the opportunity to be the GM of our favourite teams.

If EHM came back and you sold it on Steam it would be a hit.

I voted against.

I presently have Steam installed and have used it to purchase / download other games as well. I have no problem with Steam in its present format as such.

But, when I bought FM 2011. I had a choice. Now, it seems, if I buy FM 2012, I don't have a choice and this is the issue. I don't care if its becoming industry standard because the fundamental issue is that the industry needs to both listen to its consumers, and respect the differences within that group. Neither is happening here.

Very disappointed that SI and SEGA are forcing FM 2012 consumers down this route. I'll now give serious consideration as to whether to purchase this game or not, having purchased every game since about 1996.

Really no problem "steam account banned" serves up 22 million hits on google. Its a huge problem.

Accounts are banned other things, thats a fact. 12k banned http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/07/28/valve-offers-free-game-for-banning-12k-modern-warfare-2-players/

Answer

"This message indicates that your account has been banned by the Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) system for cheating. There are several important considerations for VAC-banned accounts:

Steam Support cannot remove the ban on your account

Regardless of who was using your account at the time it was banned, the use and security of your Steam account is your responsibility."

"The details of the ban will not be provided

Steam Support will not disclose the cheats that were detected running on your system or the date and time the infraction took place. Any requests for this information will be ignored."

They will ban you if you get hacked and the hacker breaks the rules and they wont even tell you why youve been banned, fact.

nice copy however you only copy what you want you don't even bother to reading the rest

your trying to use peoples lack of knowledge to spread your blind hate and stupidity

Vac info :

What is Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC)?

Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) is an anti-cheat component of the Steam platform, and it is used to protect against in-game cheating in a variety of games. Any modification to a game which allows for one player to have an advantage over another player may be considered a cheat. The VAC system detects cheats using cheat signatures, and should a cheat be detected by VAC the offending player will receive a VAC ban.

A VAC ban is not to be confused with a server side specific ban. If you receive the notification message "STEAMID IS BANNED" when attempting to join a game-server then you have received a server side specific ban. The server administration team for the server in question have decided to prohibit you from joining their server, but you have not received a VAC ban and as a result you may continue to partake on other game-servers. VAC is an automated system and server administrators may not impose a VAC ban.

How do I know if a server is VAC protected?

Servers are VAC protected if the following notification is displayed when joining a server - "Note: This server is VAC secured. Cheating will result in a permanent ban". A visual representation of this notification may be found here. The VAC shield is also displayed on the Steam server browser to indicate if a specific server is VAC protected. A visual representation of the VAC shield in the Steam server browser may be found here.

I have received a VAC ban - why?

The following notification will display should you receive a VAC ban, indicating that a VAC ban is now in operation - "Your connection to this secure server has been rejected. Because of past cheating violations, you have been banned from playing on all secure services". If you receive the notification message outlined above, the VAC system has, based on its cheat signatures, detected a cheat operating on your system. As a result a VAC ban has been imposed and has come into operation to restrict you from joining VAC protected servers. It should be noted that VAC employs the use of delayed bans in order to disrupt the development process of cheats - a ban imposed today may have been the result of a cheat detected by VAC two weeks previously.

I have received a VAC ban - what do I do now?

As Valve has a zero-tolerance policy towards cheating, all VAC bans are permanent in nature and will not be lifted over time. Once you receive a VAC ban you may no longer play on VAC secure servers.

You may continue to play your single-player games. You may also continue to play on VAC-insecure servers. You may access a list of insecure servers by doing the following:

Open Steam.

Select the "View" drop-down tab.

Select "Servers".

Select "Change filters".

Select "Not-Secure" under the VAC drop-down list.

More oficial info https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-RADZ-6869

VAC has nothing to do with FM

Once and for all stop spreading false info

I think those defending Steam are missing the point a little bit. It's not about how reliable/safe/beneficial Steam is, or how much memory it takes up etc, it's the fact it is forcing people to download third party software. Rightly or wrongly, that is going to put some people offside, especially when it's presented with a flimsy "it's to stop piracy but we're not obliged to tell you why" justification. And those who love Steam and love its benefits, well hey, there's nothing to stop you using it.

There are always going to be those who don't have access to the 'net, even just to install and register. That's already one demographic alienated. And the "you can go to a net cafe/University etc" line doesn't sit well with me either, because that immediately puts a customer who has paid for a hard copy of the game at an inconvenience.

I'm sure there are better and more in-depth reasons for this move, but I'd want a bit more made public. Not a good look for SI I don't think.

Unfortunately for me the use of Steam to activate the game means I won't be buying it again. I point blank refuse to install/play a game that uses this type of activation. I guess my playing days on the PC are over. I'll just buy games for the PS3/Xbox from now on. All the best to SI.

You won't be able to do that either, for much longer. Sony and Micro$oft are both looking at going download only eventually. Get used to the idea.

I presently have Steam installed and have used it to purchase / download other games as well. I have no problem with Steam in its present format as such.

But, when I bought FM 2011. I had a choice. Now, it seems, if I buy FM 2012, I don't have a choice and this is the issue. I don't care if its becoming industry standard because the fundamental issue is that the industry needs to both listen to its consumers, and respect the differences within that group. Neither is happening here.

so because you have a choice taken away, despite the fact It is making you do what you already do, your not buying It. I am ******* baffled

so because you have a choice taken away, despite the fact It is making you do what you already do, your not buying It. I am ******* baffled

Because I'm doing what I'm doing out of my personal choice, and also because I have that choice due to my income and where I live.

Others don't want to make that choice or, due to their circumstances, they can't make the choice.

I'm taking this position because I respect the rights of others to choose differently from myself, and also because I believe that firms should ensure that economic barriers are as low as possible. This is part of being a liberal democracy.

In short, I try to think of others as well as myself.

But you still have to use steam.

to be fair your original post did say "not fair u need to install via steam"

and OK Rowell, your choice but I don't see why you should miss out because of others.

obviously a week and all year round after release if the sales are affected by steam, or not It will determine what will happen with FM13 or whether they will have a better system by then

You won't be able to do that either, for much longer. Sony and Micro$oft are both looking at going download only eventually. Get used to the idea.

With a console, however, you are implicitly "siloing" yourself anyway... You buy into the Sony or Microsoft "family" of consoles and their games. PCs, however, are not designed to be so narrow - you can install a different OS easily on a PC, whilst you have to hack and homebrew your way round on the PS3 and Xbox 360. I do agree download-only is the way forward, but then again, in the console world, it was never designed for competing software delivery methods, unlike PCs.

As Apple demonstrates, however, it is possible to offer software on a Mac just like download-only might work on consoles, so might work for PCs. However, on the PC front, there is more likelihood of competing sides, so Steam will (hopefully) have competition soon.

In that case I won't be buying anymore games then. I'll spend the money on other things. And just who are you to tell me to "get used to the idea". The last time I checked I still had the freedom of choice and was allowed to voice it. Or do I have to download that via Steam as well now.......... :lol:

The only DRM that would stop me buying FM is the one EA used where you had to be online continuously - and if your connection dropped it booted you out of the game without allowing you to save.

I could never see anyone at SI ever agreeing to that form of DRM, thank god.

The only DRM that would stop me buying FM is the one EA used where you had to be online continuously - and if your connection dropped it booted you out of the game without allowing you to save.

I could never see anyone at SI ever agreeing to that form of DRM, thank god.

Never say never... Despite all the negative publicity, Ubisoft steamrollers on with its nasty DRM which is similar to EA's. Despite a ~50% drop in sales, this year, too...

View Poll Results: What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?

Voters 311. You have already voted on this poll

I Hate It 134 43.09%

I Don't Care 80 25.72%

I like it 97 31.19%

That's quite a healthy chunk of unhappy customers, WTG SI/SEGA :thup::mad:

View Poll Results: What do you feel about having to activate your FM12 through Steam?

Voters 311. You have already voted on this poll

I Hate It 134 43.09%

I Don't Care 80 25.72%

I like it 97 31.19%

That's quite a healthy chunk of unhappy customers, WTG SI/SEGA :thup::mad:

It looks like quite a healthy number of ignorant people to me.

It is bad news for them. But they don't run Steam. And they are making outlandish claims about security and memory hog etc.

It's a 2 minute activation. It's not stealing your data. Install Steam. Install the game. Activiate it. Put Steam to Offline mode.

It's not that hard. And people are overreacting.

Falacies of security and email hacking, to all sorts of things have bee allegated and totally unfounded.

It's time to squash the irrational fears and put the facts out there. And that's the problem, people don't have the facts. They have irrational fears.

Archived