A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

Nope. As far as I know all software is pirated. It's just wrong that so many people blatantly steal.

However, Steam is not about stopping, but delaying.

Last year, they had so many pre-orders cancelled when the Pirated versions became available. Co-incidence, yes in some cases.

They've already reported a significant increase in preorder sales since announcing Steam only activation.

If you're stuff was been stolen wouldn't you want to do whatever was possible to protect it?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not really happy about this either, but I guess if I want to play FM12 then I am going to need to use Steam, I have a question though for example if I install it on my PC and also plan to run it on my laptop I understand you need to log into your Steam account to play the game, what will happen for example if I have a laptop and I am away from a internet connection, can I still play FM?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Is Steam currently down?

I ask because I just got home after a weekend trip, before I left I tried to goto offline mode where it refused me. I made some screenshots a couple of pages back where I illustrated the problem. But since I am back home I tried to fire up FM - I couldn't (same message as below when I tried). I tried to connect to my Steam account to see if I could play whilst online but I keep getting this message:

steamonlineunable.jpg

By loversleaper at 2011-09-25

Thanks Dune, I am not that good at this at all. Mine looks similar, but I only have ClientRegistry.blob and not the ClientRegistryOld.blob...

But my question is: do I simply right click and delete it? (I don't want to make a mistake, thanks)

Disregard ClientRegistryOld.blob. Just right click and delete it :).

I have only free AVG installed so I think what I can block will be limited. My firewall is on, I haven't touched it and with the current settings I have been logged on before, the only boxed that is ticked is the "give message, when firewall blocks a new program".

I have only free AVG installed so I think what I can block will be limited. My firewall is on, I haven't touched it and with the current settings I have been logged on before, the only boxed that is ticked is the "give message, when firewall blocks a new program".

Did you ever try reinstalling it? I'm sorry that this is such a hassle for you :(.

Hello all,

I wanted to say thank you for all the years of entertainment that football manager has given. I unfortunately must state that I will no longer be able to purchase this wonderful game. I do not wish to have steam on my computer for a number of reasons. If a version in the future no longer features a needed third party program such as this to run then I will once again purchase this game. It is so hard and painful to have to say no but I also had to quit civilization 5 for the same reason.

Once again, thank you for a wonderful game and best of luck. If in the future this decision is changed I will once again purchase this game.

Hello all,

I wanted to say thank you for all the years of entertainment that football manager has given. I unfortunately must state that I will no longer be able to purchase this wonderful game. I do not wish to have steam on my computer for a number of reasons. If a version in the future no longer features a needed third party program such as this to run then I will once again purchase this game. It is so hard and painful to have to say no but I also had to quit civilization 5 for the same reason.

Once again, thank you for a wonderful game and best of luck. If in the future this decision is changed I will once again purchase this game.

Very much with you on that. Disappointing as i was really really looking forward to it but i don't want Steam under any circumstances, no matter how good many say it is, i find it pointless and of no use to me at all. Nothing against it, i just have no need or want for it beyond activation so rather than be lumped with it i'll just give FM12 a miss.

Hello all,

Wouldn't this be better as an email to Si or Sega where it might be read instead of posting it as a whine on a forum?

For better or worse the boxed PC game market is dying more and more games are relying on online services such as Steam, if you have strong enough reasons not to want Steam on your computer then sorry to hear that, Civ5 is great and i suspect Fm2012 will be addictive as usual, your loss.....

don't get why some people against it? last time i think we had problem as many tried to sign in in same time in addition to overload done by some 3rd parties.

you can wait just one day .. and play the game like i will do

This TBH. I can't see no reason why someone couldn't wait until Monday the 24th to play the game and that's what I intend to do. It depends on potential patches too, but that's my plan ATM.

Hmm, where to start. *cough*

Lets start with the issue of FM piracy, this without a dought will not stop piracy in any way shape or form. Cracking steam applications is not hard has been achieved easily with every game that gets released there, as soon as the game gets pre-loaded it will be unlocked and cracked, mark my words on this. As someone who has been playing this series since Championship Manager 2 I agree with supporting the development of this great series and providing you the revenue to continue with this although i'm not a saint and have over the years used cracked versions for various reasons, some being, wanting a DVD crack to do away with needing to use the DVD or playing earlier then the schedueled release. I really don't know what the answer is in terms of piracy, unfortunately the more you fight with it the more determined people will become to breaking it.

Secondly i'll address the strong opinions people have to the Steam platform. I don't have any problems with using Steam or having Steam installed on my system, most gamer's would have this installed anyhow, it's a decent, proven distribution platform. Some of the arguments put across to this such as, OMG, don't make me install a third party peice of software to use FM, are slightly idiotic. I'll tell you what annoys me, not having to install a proven application like steam, but being asked to install search bars and other data gathering crap from every application alive, get over it. It's not going to kill your system. *slap*

Another year, another release, we can only see how it pans out although I can't see it making much difference personally. Shrug.

Bye.

I'll never understand the hostility towards Steam. It's a great little program.

Same , i got TF2 for free to play and i got portal for free , the downloading demos and specs needed are really useful.

TBF i havent ever bought a game from steam but it seems pretty cool for me

Hmm, where to start. *cough*

Lets start with the issue of FM piracy, this without a dought will not stop piracy in any way shape or form. Cracking steam applications is not hard has been achieved easily with every game that gets released there, as soon as the game gets pre-loaded it will be unlocked and cracked, mark my words on this. As someone who has been playing this series since Championship Manager 2 I agree with supporting the development of this great series and providing you the revenue to continue with this although i'm not a saint and have over the years used cracked versions for various reasons, some being, wanting a DVD crack to do away with needing to use the DVD or playing earlier then the schedueled release. I really don't know what the answer is in terms of piracy, unfortunately the more you fight with it the more determined people will become to breaking it.

SI have openly stated that this won't stop piracy, but will likely slow it at least. Plus Valve have shown (as I quoted earlier in the thread) that switching to Steam has led to them hugely increasing sales in territories (specifically Russia, in the quote) that have previously been rife with piracy - in fact, that by offering an improved product and service through Steam, they were incentivising people to buy and (presumably) reducing piracy.

Loversleaper - I will see if i can sort the problem out when i get home tonight, however if you find a solution PLEASE make sure you post it up!!! :-)

Hey Lamby, sorry for not responding before now. I've been trawling through different forums (google steam offline mode error) and I haven't seen any advice that has helped me yet. I've checked out Steam's troubleshooting pages but it is not on the menu. I think when I get home tonight (hope I get time - Mondays are always chaotic at the office) I will try to uninstall Steam and then reinstall it to see if it works. I was wondering have you tried this possibility?

Morning all...just watching an improved england performance in the rugby (all be it against Romania)

There appears to be a solution to those not being able to log in. The bug is a "case sensitive" issue with your log in details. The steps i took to fix the problems were:

1) Whilst in Steam account click on "Change User" - this should log you out and clear any pre existing saved info

2) Re-Log in but when entering your user name enter it ALL in LOWER CASE!!! Then enter your password and make sure you have it set that Steam remembers your details.

3) In settings check that "Do not save account credentials on this computer" box is not checked

4) Click on Go Offline and then click Restart in offline mode

5) Hopefully problem sorted...

Just a quick thank you to milnerpoint and eugene tyson for their help and "patience" ;-)

Loversleaper - here you go fella...

This thread is 37 pages long, full of people that:

a) don't like Steam

b) won't buy the game because of Steam

c) are having problems with Steam

And still, Miles Jacobson is too bored with the subject to respond to any of the concerns, claiming it's just a minority of 50 people that will have little impact on sales.

Well, in my opinion, even person having problems with installing Steam is one too many. Not in the SI bank account perhaps, but for us, the users, it's one too many. Good customer service isn't about introducing new potential problems for the customer.

But, as moderators and SI representatives have pointed out, our opinion doesn't matter, so it's really pointless talking about it.

a) don't like Steam

And still, Miles Jacobson is too bored with the subject to respond to any of the concerns, claiming it's just a minority of 50 people that will have little impact on sales.

Well, in my opinion, even person having problems with installing Steam is one too many. Not in the SI bank account perhaps, but for us, the users, it's one too many. Good customer service isn't about introducing new potential problems for the customer.

But, as moderators and SI representatives have pointed out, our opinion doesn't matter, so it's really pointless talking about it.

SI probably aren't offering support for FM12 Steam issues since it isn't out yet, and this thread is completely inappropriate for raising Steam issues for other products. If people are having problems with Steam, asking in the appropriate place (which may well be on Steam) will more than likely yield results.

Graphically representing the amount of people and Steam issue in this thread is easy enough

==================

Have genuine concerns and won't use Steam

==================

Refuse to use Steam no matter what

==================

Will use Steam but not happy about it

==================

Happy with Steam can't wait for FM12

==================

Trying to convince the first slot of the "graphic" that Steam isn't that bad and give it a go

==================

While i'll buy the game as its the only game i buy every year i'm not happy about having to install steam again to play a game i have spent my money on. people can only comment on their own experience with a product and i was not impressed with steam at all when we had to use it on a previous FM.

Even in Offline mode it was popping up on screen and using what was vital ram and processors time due to a lower spec laptop!.

I am sympathetic to SI/Sega regarding the piracy but it always ends up with the genuine buyer suffering and having to jump through hoops to play a game they paid for.

Why can SI/Sega not have the activation code on the game where you log on once to SI/Sega's website and input your code during install and then you can use the game and reinstall to your hearts content.

Graphically representing the amount of people and Steam issue in this thread is easy enough

==================

Have genuine concerns and won't use Steam

==================

Refuse to use Steam no matter what

==================

Will use Steam but not happy about it

==================

Happy with Steam can't wait for FM12

==================

Trying to convince the first slot of the "graphic" that Steam isn't that bad and give it a go

==================

:rolleyes:

While it's a mild inconvenience for FM players and small hoops to jump through, it's pretty annoying move on SI's part.

Even more so for the people that Pirate the game though.

It will in no way stop the piracy. But it should make it inconvenient enough to delay it.

I have absolutely no bother with people that want another way to authenticate the game. The best I've seen is the "activation code on the website". Which would be pretty straightforward.

It's pretty clear from this thread that some people want to buy the game and but don't want Steam. It's unfair to push something on someone.

Personally I have nothing against Steam. I'm happy enough to use it.

While it's a mild inconvenience for FM players and small hoops to jump through, it's pretty annoying move on SI's part.

Even more so for the people that Pirate the game though.

It will in no way stop the piracy. But it should make it inconvenient enough to delay it.

I have absolutely no bother with people that want another way to authenticate the game. The best I've seen is the "activation code on the website". Which would be pretty straightforward.

It's pretty clear from this thread that some people want to buy the game and but don't want Steam. It's unfair to push something on someone.

Personally I have nothing against Steam. I'm happy enough to use it.

Agree with you, it just forcing people to use a further product. the only reason i can see for it is that SI/Sega have a contract with Steam and this will help promote steam to get more people using and buying from it.

If piracy is the real issue activation through SI/Sega website should be the route to follow and to apease the masses

Hmmm I use Steam. I really don't mind it at all, I'll certainly be buy my copy of FM2012 on release day via Steam.

Having said that I still think Sega are wrong to insist that 3rd party software be required to run their game. Player who have skipped a few incarnations of the FM series are already baffled by it's newer features and adding this extra level of complication to the game even before you have the chance to get it running will discourage them even more and cause no end of frustration.

I fear this decision is more about profits than piracy. Being told that extra revenue gained from the copies sold in the period from release date to it's inevitable piracy will mean extra funds to support the future progression of the game really hints at a high level of naivety from Sega.

Anybody who has purchased any of the last few versions of FM will know that it's hardly playable until a month or two after release when the first patches are available and by this time the game has long since been cracked.

Sega would be far better off concentrating on producing a good, well tested game out of the box and trust that it's loyal fans will always pay for the product.

The thing I despise more than the piracy of this game is seeing Football Mananger 20** at number 1 on all the gaming charts from the day of it's release when I've got a copy at home that I know I'm not going to be happy with it until a couple or more months down the line.

Forcing people to use 3rd party software for a game that historically needs a patch or two before it is playable surely only serves to make people look for other ways of getting it to see if it's worth the wait ?!?!?!

I've worked in the film industry for near on 20 years and I despise piracy but this isn't the answer. Even though the developers may think it will in some way deter people from from illegally distributing the game they are wrong. I'm sure that everybody involved in the making of this game at SI want to have the best product out there but the people funding it are only interested in it's profits and this is really what I fear this move is all about.

a) don't like Steam

It's actually more like 2-3 pages of people posting a,b,or c, the other 34-35 pages are probably made up of people arguing amongst themselves

I disagree in both forms: I've seen studies that state 75-90% of a game's purchases are within the first month of it's release (won't be THAT much for FM, considering it has multiple months on the best seller charts), and the fact that a steam "unlock" means that people trying to "break" it to crack it can't get into the game code prior to the unlock date, meaning most people who are going to download it say, a month after release weren't going to buy it on day 1 anyway.

And while there's numerous bugs that are always fixed in the release code by the second patch or so (a lot of which are on the "day 0 patch"), I wouldn't call it "hardly playable".

Hyperbole ill suits people

And also, may I just say I get a bit of a chuckle about he "People don't have a fast connection to activate it on Steam so they'll download it option". If they have a fast enough connection to download it, doesn't it mean that they have a fast enough connection to you know, activate it?

If you buy the boxed copy of the game, what happens if/when Steam go out of business, and no other company takes them over. How would we be able to install and play the game if Steam don't exist any more?

I mean I can now go and install CM93 on a PC (if I wanted too) and that's nearly 20 years old. I doubt we'll be able to install and play FM2012 in 20 years.

Archived