A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

RowRow78 - Have you had an email with a verification code? If not, when you try to login there are two options if I recall correctly. One of them will allow you to request a verification code, which will be sent to your email. The option lets you type the code in.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4020-ALZM-5519

Oh yeah, I did all that and my account is showing as verified, so maybe it is associated with my new Mac, just doesn't want to go "offline"?

Looking at the web, many people seem to have problems with switching Steam to offline, could I be in the same boat? Any other suggestions? Appreciate your help with this.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive always had this problem where if my interent was playing up and i tried to start up FM it wouldnt let me play when i selected "start in offline mode" i would have to sort out the interent problem first, then play FM...really hope someone can offer more than "whacking it with a stick" lol

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Hope that helps

Except that the devs who programme the game don't spend even a minute of their time on anti piracy measures, that also is a simple truth.

I know, but that wasn't the point. And even though it's not the same people focusing on piracy as on coding the game, it's still a big enough issue that it takes away focus on the whole. For example, instead of spending three hours with SEGA debating on what DRM to use, Miles could have spent those three hours quality testing the game and make sure it functions properly.

But let me rephrase:

Make the game fantastic. The better it is, the less problems with piracy you will have...because the better it is; the more people will buy it. Plenty of examples of other software developers out there that are so good that their piracy levels are irrelevant, due to their software being so good that people happily pay for it. Panic's 'Coda' is a good example.

A majority of those who use pirated software aren't doing it because of political reasons (even though they exist), but rather economical ones. Most people who use pirated software would use the legal versions of the game if it was available for £5. Which means there is a price point where people would switch from illegal software to legal software, but that price point increases alongside the quality of the software (up to a limit of course, Adobe Photoshop will never have their majority of users as legal ones, even though the software is good enough for its price).

Basically - the better the software, the more you can increase the cost without people turning to illegal versions of the application.

If Football Manager had 50% less bugs at release day, cost 20% less and was widely available without having the need for pointless 3rd party software, they would make a bigger profit than the one they make by going Steam-only. This whole DRM-route is just attacking the problem from the wrong direction, which is common amongst developers and publishers.

If Football Manager had 50% less bugs at release day, cost 20% less and was widely available without having the need for pointless 3rd party software, they would make a bigger profit than the one they make by going Steam-only. This whole DRM-route is just attacking the problem from the wrong direction, which is common amongst developers and publishers.

In your opinion. Without any numbers to back this opinion up. SI/SEGA will have made a business decision based on research and numbers, so in fairness they probably have a better idea of what the best route to take is to maximize their profit.

Just to add a little fuel to the fire I have to share this as I found it laughable. I apparently have an account from 09 install but had completely forgotten. Was merrily going through the create an account route when it identified that my email address was already registered. Went through the "forgotten password" route only to be provided a code (OK fair enough) and the requirement to supply a "secret answer" that they asked for in French (and not only that french that doesn't translate!) Either I am missing something or there could be problems ahead. Thankfully I took a punt on some passwords I might have used and logged in. I hope others fair better if they can't remember their details!

Oh FFS what next? Seriously I am considering not buying FM12 now. I shall try my Steam log in tonight (have one from a year or two ago). If I cannot easily get it sorted I shall seriously consider sticking with FM11 for ever more. Life is too short to be buqqered about like this!

It really is time for an SI directive (maybe a blog) that details how Steam can be used as a positive platform and how poor $ods like me who only use Steam to download the demo once per year can access & use the game they will have bought honestly and with good intention. The odd tw@t poster replying "See ya!" to those who feel like quitting and the odd Mod attempt to talk up Steam (although a t least 2 mods are dismayed that it is to be used with this titile, are really not good enough.

There is a statisitic that it costs 20% of the cost of recuiting new Customers to support & keep the Customers you already had. But statistics can prove anything is right even when it is wrong - as in the case of the "We're using Steam this year" decision meeting!.

If you havent used steam for years whats the harm in making a new account? If you havent used it years it leads me to think you dont really care about any games you had on that account so where is the problem? It takes minutes to set up both a new hotmail and steam account. Tiger you havent even tried and your complaining about it??!!

The FAQ from SI will come Kriss has already said its in the works.

Oh FFS what next? Seriously I am considering not buying FM12 now. I shall try my Steam log in tonight (have one from a year or two ago). If I cannot easily get it sorted I shall seriously consider sticking with FM11 for ever more. Life is too short to be buqqered about like this!

It really is time for an SI directive (maybe a blog) that details how Steam can be used as a positive platform and how poor $ods like me who only use Steam to download the demo once per year can access & use the game they will have bought honestly and with good intention. The odd tw@t poster replying "See ya!" to those who feel like quitting and the odd Mod attempt to talk up Steam (although a t least 2 mods are dismayed that it is to be used with this titile, are really not good enough.

There is a statisitic that it costs 20% of the cost of recuiting new Customers to support & keep the Customers you already had. But statistics can prove anything is right even when it is wrong - as in the case of the "We're using Steam this year" decision meeting!.

So, you already have steam to download the demo. You are ranting about the possibility of not being able to access your account before you have tried. Then you posted a statistic just to discredit it?

If you havent used steam for years whats the harm in making a new account? If you havent used it years it leads me to think you dont really care about any games you had on that account so where is the problem? It takes minutes to set up both a new hotmail and steam account. Tiger you havent even tried and your complaining about it??!!

The FAQ from SI will come Kriss has already said its in the works.

Actually am not complaining am speculating that I may have a similar problem to someone who has tried something I have to do to access Steam, so a fair concern I think. Of course I dont care about Steam, I only used it to get the FM Demo in the past!.

In case you misunderstood, I believe that if you use the same email account you cannot create a 2nd Steam account? So what, I now have to open another email account to access Steam to access FM? I'd rather spend that time playing FM11, frankly.

This issue is turning into a trail of small issues that build up to one big one - namely, to play FM12 I will have to do x, y and z, and even then there may be issues. Just maybe I am believing the hype of negative axe grinders here but for me FM12 is already tainted. Balance that with how much I love FM11 right now and I may just have found a way to save myself £30-£40 per year from now on, HOWEVER you are right, I'll try Steam tonight - I havent given up just yet. Wish me luck.

So, you already have steam to download the demo. You are ranting about the possibility of not being able to access your account before you have tried. Then you posted a statistic just to discredit it?

Bearing in mind I am not sat infront of my games laptop right now please read my post again in relation to the previous post it responds to and try to understand it.

You are right though Eddy, it was kind of a rant wasnt it ;-)

Oh FFS what next? Seriously I am considering not buying FM12 now.

Kinda seems like your over reacting without knowing whats going to happen.

Your right tho you cannot have two steam accounts on one email address, but really how long does it take to set up a hotmail, two mintues at most? You wont even process a day after a few seasons in FM11, infact you could them both at the same time!! Unless your steam client is slowing your computer down too much.........;)

To play FM12 you need to do three simple things;

install FM11,

click play :)

Bearing in mind I am not sat infront of my games laptop right now please read my post again in relation to the previous post it responds to and try to understand it.

You are right though Eddy, it was kind of a rant wasnt it ;-)

I did the same to an extent. Except I've never used steam since the 09 issues. My main issue is with the lack of choice though.

I decided I wasn't going to not play FM just because I have a poor opinion of Steam, tried it and liked it.

I just think people with actual issues are getting swamped with unnecessary arguing, ranting etc (last part not particularly aimed at you).

I didn't know my password either by the way, took me under 30 seconds to get into my account after I clicked can't remember password or whatever. So there are issues for some people, but for what I imagine is the vast majority, Steam seems to be fairly user friendly.

Actually am not complaining am speculating that I may have a similar problem to someone who has tried something I have to do to access Steam, so a fair concern I think. Of course I dont care about Steam, I only used it to get the FM Demo in the past!.

In case you misunderstood, I believe that if you use the same email account you cannot create a 2nd Steam account? So what, I now have to open another email account to access Steam to access FM? I'd rather spend that time playing FM11, frankly.

This issue is turning into a trail of small issues that build up to one big one - namely, to play FM12 I will have to do x, y and z, and even then there may be issues. Just maybe I am believing the hype of negative axe grinders here but for me FM12 is already tainted. Balance that with how much I love FM11 right now and I may just have found a way to save myself £30-£40 per year from now on, HOWEVER you are right, I'll try Steam tonight - I havent given up just yet. Wish me luck.

Firstly, I know it's irritating but it might just all go like a well oiled machine, secondly if they hadn't gone this route of DRM they'd have gone at least one other, so instead of X,Y & Z you'd just be doing L,M & P which could have been even worse given the historical evidence (FM09)

Just another question, I can actually install fm on both my laptop and desktop com, right? But I can only play it on 1 machine at a time. Is my understanding, right?

Yup that is right, you can install FM on as many computer as you want as long as you have done it through steam, but you can only use your license on one computer at one time.

Just another question, I can actually install fm on both my laptop and desktop com, right? But I can only play it on 1 machine at a time. Is my understanding, right?

I fail to see how you'd play it on both computers at the same time anyway?

It will automatically log out of the account when you login from another computer.

But you can play on any computer you like, as long as you use the same steam account.

tigerhgrrrrrr - look at it this way, while there is a possibility that Steam maybe problematic to set up for 10 minutes/an hour/a day, FM2012 will keep you entertained for a year. I have no feelings towards Steam one way or another - it is a means to an end - but the end result seems to far outweigh any possible problems at the start, if you even experience them.

It would be a shame to end up wondering if you have missed out on something.

I think the general disliking about this idea is that the users who buy this game should not have to jump through hoops just to get this game working. Paying the price for the game should be enough just to go home, install it and play it.........this has been a tried and tested method on every console. Xbox or PS3 don't ask customers to go online to activate their games, its simple plug and play and it works. Lets face facts, people can state the benefits and the negatives about steam but it should not be forced upon someone, the people i feel sorry for are the guys with no internet connection as it seems that SI have basically ignored them. People can talk about "oh how do people in this day and age not have internet connections" but there is such problems of broadband not being available in certain areas of a country.

And lets say if there are a number of FM gamers who do not have the Internet and they buy this game: first they have to find someone with an Internet connection which means travelling to somewhere to get one, then create a steam account and an email address, then install the game and hope that nothing goes wrong with Steam....seems like alot of bother and we will not forget about the users who won't even see this thread because they don't have an Internet connection.........but who cares about them :-(

People who registered with SI have been notified by post.

The PC and Mac games are too easily hacked. It used to be great to buy PC games off the shelf and have them work. With the internet piracy can become global in seconds. Jumping through hoops with Steam is a necessary evil in delaying the piracy so that SI can benefit from people not canceling pre-orders the very day that pirate copies appear online. Yes they want to make money. I've said this before and according to SI, if 1/4 the people who pirate bought it would double sales. That means 1,000,000 people buy it there are 4,000,000 people playing pirated copies. If someone was blatantly ripping off your software wouldn't you want it shut down or delayed? Look at the Apple Stores in China, selling off rip-off Apple gear, one reporter reported it and all of a sudden a whole rake of them were shut down.

It's unfortunate that you need an internet connection. And SI didn't just "ignore" them, but they felt they had no other option and they said they didn't take the decision lightly.

At the end of the day, if this increases sales for FM12 and they make more profit, they'll have more resources to pour into the next one.

We don't know what will happen next year. Perhaps some bright spark will invent a impenetrable system for software that can't be hacked. Perhaps SI will work on developing their own Client for installing the game? Perhaps they will see a drop in sales and revert back to not using Steam. Perhaps it will be an overall success and they'll implement Steam as a standard?

However, for now, people without internet connections are in a rut. But make no mistake. This has benefited people where the game was not available on Steam last year, but is this year. Some people in the Ukraine have reported that it can take WEEKS to get a postal service delivering the game. And they were delighted they could buy it through Steam.

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other if you ask me.

Easy as 1, 2 , 3, eh?

steampic.jpg

By loversleaper at 2011-09-23

Maybe I am missing something, a few seconds ago I was checking for new games - but since I am not a hard core gamer it's hard to find something really appealing, FM is pretty much the only game I play on the PC - I wanted to go offline because I am now going somewhere where I won't have internet connection. Luckily (in a weird way) it threw this up so that I know there's a problem before I left because I have experienced other times where I get to the location (with no internet connection) and when I try to load up FM it either requests my password (which I can't do due to no internet connection) or it can refuse to load up FM due to no internet connection.

I am really wondering if this force move to Steam is really going to be worth it. I cannot imagine that I am the only one experiencing this... :(

That's cos you did it wrong

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Follow the steps.

1: Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked this is where I was at moments before this message - I was looking through the library and what not

2: Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode) doesn't steam do this automatically when you are online?

3: Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played I wasn't going to play the game now, just go offline because in a half hour I am going somewhere where there is no internet connection for the weekend

4: Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected just checked, the box is not ticked

5: From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline that is what I did...?

6: Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode when you selct Go Offline this always pops up

Seems like you skipped a step or two or half did them.

Look man, I just re-did the whole thing. Ok, I re-connected to my Steam account, which funnily enough allowed me to go back online - followed the steps and the same thing just happened. I did not miss a step, I am quite capable of doing these type of things, you know...

Nobody said you weren't capable?

Steam have a support site. I can't really help you on that other than pointing you towards the steps for going to offline mode.

All I know is I never had an issue with going into offline mode. And if I ever did it was so long ago that I have forgotten by now.

Soz.

It's not my fault you can't get it to work. Those instructions work for most of the people the run steam. If they didn't they wouldn't be on their website.

As I say, you seem to have a specific issue so I recommend you contact Steam support...

I can barely see what's going on in those screen shots. All I know there's 3 screenshots regarding the steps and 6 steps?

There are 4 screen shots. The one that is missing is "make sure that the game is 100% updated". Well, FM11 has been at 100% since early November 2010 - if you don't believe me I can easily show you a screenshot of that...

The other step missing is "launch the game" - which I can't.

I seriously don't think you actually know what you are talking about. But thanks for the advice about contacting Steam Support, have you tried it? There went me weekend of gamming... :mad:

With a bit of googling (amazing thing!!) it appears there is an issue with Steam because of a recent update, expect a fix soon :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2133863

How bizarre! i've just gone into offline mode, gonna go back online, check im updated, and see if i can do it again

EDIT: I can get in and out, has anyone else tried to see if they cant get into offline mode?

There are 4 screen shots. The one that is missing is "make sure that the game is 100% updated". Well, FM11 has been at 100% since early November 2010 - if you don't believe me I can easily show you a screenshot of that...

The other step missing is "launch the game" - which I can't.

I seriously don't think you actually know what you are talking about. But thanks for the advice about contacting Steam Support, have you tried it? There went me weekend of gamming... :mad:

Even with 4 screen shots there are still 6 steps. Your own post admitted you didn't need to do certain things, which seems to me you hovered over those.

Sorry for being helpful? Glad you could be so rude to me.

I do know what I am talking about because I can get it to work 100% of the time 100% of the time all the time.

Anytime I can't set a set of instructions to work - I go through each step meticulously and eventually find out I have done one of those incorrectly, or it can be done a different way that's not documented.

Again, Steam support should be able to help.

Unfortunate you only discovered this a few hours before you had to leave to an non-internet location.

You know for next time to be more prepared so.

Even with 4 screen shots there are still 6 steps. Your own post admitted you didn't need to do certain things, which seems to me you hovered over those.

Sorry for being helpful? Glad you could be so rude to me.

I do know what I am talking about because I can get it to work 100% of the time 100% of the time all the time.

Anytime I can't set a set of instructions to work - I go through each step meticulously and eventually find out I have done one of those incorrectly, or it can be done a different way that's not documented.

Again, Steam support should be able to help.

Unfortunate you only discovered this a few hours before you had to leave to an non-internet location.

You know for next time to be more prepared so.

What don't you get?

One of the steps you pointed out was to launch the game - well I can't now can I?

The other missing step was that the game needs to be 100% updated - it has been for almost a whole year now...

I am a little annoyed that you keep suggesting that I am not doing things correctly... :rolleyes:

Well, hold on a second while I hold my breath. This makes me feel a whole lot better (now where is that damn disc?...)

Absolutely lol

There you go it's a bug. Fix coming soon.

I don't use search engines as it's a 3rd party app running through my browser and it's internet based so I can't trust it and won't use search engines. :D

What don't you get?

One of the steps you pointed out was to launch the game - well I can't now can I?

The other missing step was that the game needs to be 100% updated - it has been for almost a whole year now...

I am a little annoyed that you keep suggesting that I am not doing things correctly... :rolleyes:

I'm a little annoyed that you don't understand that I am not suggesting you did anything incorrectly.

Let's put this down to a miscommunication on both parts and let it go.

I have no doubt you followed the instructions. I was just replying to your post where it appeared to me that you skimmed a step or 2. You said you didn't so fair enough.

Carry on.

With a bit of googling (amazing thing!!) it appears there is an issue with Steam because of a recent update, expect a fix soon :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2133863

Couldn't have happened at a worse time, just when a load of potential new users are looking into the stability of Steam it goes & breaks. :D

Have to add that offline mode is working fine for me although I have only just installed Steam so I'm guessing there were no previous settings for the update to mess about with.

There you go it's a bug. Fix coming soon.

I don't use search engines as it's a 3rd party app running through my browser and it's internet based so I can't trust it and won't use search engines. :D

To be fair, your whole attitude is just disgraceful. Are you mocking me? Just because everyone isn't as capable as you that makes it right to mock... :thdn:

Couldn't have happened at a worse time, just when a load of potential new users are looking into the stability of Steam it goes & breaks. :D

Haha tell me about :D , although it doesnt seem every one is experiencing it reading the steam forums, either that, or they havent noticed it yet. From what ive read its affecting people in different ways, and also in others not at all

See I told you, Murphy's law:D

In good old LLM style I shall therefore blame you for mentioning Murphy in the first place, now where is my pitchfork & that kindling I was saving.

To be fair, your whole attitude is just disgraceful. Are you mocking me? Just because everyone isn't as capable as you that makes it right to mock... :thdn:

I never mock anyone. Sorry you take it that way?

My attitude to try and help you is disgraceful?

My second comment in regards to search engines was a play on how people generally in this thread are afraid of running 3rd Party apps, like Steam, on their computers. But they openly run Internet Browsers and Search Engines which record their every move, far more "intrusive" than Steam is.

It had nothing to do with your issue.

Sorry you didn't see the funny side?

I'll keep my sense of humour for less serious issues in the future.

I never mock anyone. Sorry you take it that way?

My attitude to try and help you is disgraceful?

My second comment in regards to search engines was a play on how people generally in this thread are afraid of running 3rd Party apps, like Steam, on their computers. But they openly run Internet Browsers and Search Engines which record their every move, far more "intrusive" than Steam is.

It had nothing to do with your issue.

Sorry you didn't see the funny side?

Say, what you want. Your attitude displayed a pee-poor quality, asking people about their reading skills is not funny and people better start being a little more cautious because you are causing hostility. I almost feel like you should give me an apology... :thdn:

I absolutely never once questioned your reading skills?

I questioned the way in which you followed the instructions, which in the way you posted how you applied the steps it seemed to me you didn't fully follow them.

I already said I accept you followed them fully and there is another issue at play and to contact Steam support.

And there was another issue at play. There is a bug in the latest update of Steam.

Archived