Sports Interactive Community
David Kempshall

A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

Off line mode works fine for me, although after my PC starts up there is a pop up that asks if I want to keep Steam running offline.

I hope it is possible to just activate the game and use "msconfig" to untick the virus from the start-up process so that it doesnt load at all after that....

I assume your meaning Steam is the "virus" lol

Anyway, yes you can stop it starting when you start your computer but you will still need it active if you want to play the game. There is no legal way to play the game without playing it through steam at all times.

Hello

I've always hated steam coz my net here in south africa was so ***** that it said it would take like 2 weeks to download :( but finally we are coming out of the dark ages and have decent internet speed, what i want to ask though is if my net dies(which it does) during download will i be able to carry on from where it bombed or will i have to start again?

after reading, asking around and trying to get more info on steam, I think I can fairly say there's a history of (never fully solved) issues with the offline mode. Probably not for every steam user, but certainly for more than just a few.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the tech support forums going crazy towards the end of october...

Hello

I've always hated steam coz my net here in south africa was so ***** that it said it would take like 2 weeks to download :( but finally we are coming out of the dark ages and have decent internet speed, what i want to ask though is if my net dies(which it does) during download will i be able to carry on from where it bombed or will i have to start again?

Yup, a connection fail just acts as a pause and it continues from where it left off when you reconnect.

Something else to blame Steam for - I've hardly played FM 2011 since the weekend as I bought Alpha Protocol for £1.50 and its really quite good. I am outraged! ;)

Something else to blame Steam for - I've hardly played FM 2011 since the weekend as I bought Alpha Protocol for £1.50 and its really quite good. I am outraged! ;)

That's horrible! :eek:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the tech support forums going crazy towards the end of october...

You mean anymore than a normal release/patch day??!! ;)

I bet Kriss and the rest can't wait for release day!!

It'll be kool:cool:

Expect much worse ;)

I've been incredibly lucky with FM11 as I had my first crash only after 11.3, but I know people who have been desperate since release day! Steam just adds another little thing than CAN go wrong, and tbh issues with offline mode don't seem to be exceptional.

luckily the guys of tech support won't have to worry about me and a few others...

It'll be kool:cool:

you should just leave the GD modding to Purefun and Akter and go and enjoy your copy of FM :p hahahaha

SEGA and Steam are the same company aren't they ?

Forcing the consumer to create an account, download their client, activate the game through Steam... I mean come on... I know it's more a general matter than a specific one to FM, the complaints of the community won't change a thing, but still, it's not normal...

Forcing the consumer to create an account, download their client, activate the game through Steam... I mean come on... I know it's more a general matter than a specific one to FM, the complaints of the community won't change a thing, but still, it's not normal...

Lots of games use Steam as the only way of activation. Here's a list of Steamworks games.

Expect much worse ;)

I've been incredibly lucky with FM11 as I had my first crash only after 11.3, but I know people who have been desperate since release day! Steam just adds another little thing than CAN go wrong, and tbh issues with offline mode don't seem to be exceptional.

luckily the guys of tech support won't have to worry about me and a few others...

i actually couldnt play my save for a few weeks because of an issue that was sorted with the Xmas patch but your right this place is going to be mental in the first few weeks of the release. No doubt pigface and laz will drop into every steam related thread telling us "i told you so" and then me and Eugeen will come in defending everything and kriss will warn everyone about using car analogies, it will be a happy time for all involved. :)

i actually couldnt play my save for a few weeks because of an issue that was sorted with the Xmas patch but your right this place is going to be mental in the first few weeks of the release. No doubt pigface and laz will drop into every steam related thread telling us "i told you so" and then me and Eugeen will come in defending everything and kriss will warn everyone about using car analogies, it will be a happy time for all involved. :)

if I can't get the game, at least let me have the Great Forum Controversies :)

I still dream that SI will come up with a consolation prize for us (almost) estranged fans, like a late no steam version release. I wouldn't mind waiting until christmas to play without steam...

Not looking forward to FM12.

Of course you are;) it's Steam you're not looking forward to, but if your system is anything close to what passes for normal then it'll be seamless (I appreciate that might be too subtle for Milnerpoint but I do try):D

Steam is horrible and reading this thread has me very disheartened about the future of FM.

Steam is horrible because it has over 30 million accounts and 3 million gamers online at any time of day. Makes sense! :lol:

Of course you are;) it's Steam you're not looking forward to, but if your system is anything close to what passes for normal then it'll be seamless (I appreciate that might be too subtle for Milnerpoint but I do try):D

what is normal? ;)

Steam is horrible and reading this thread has me very disheartened about the future of FM.

It's statements like this that give no feedback to SI, Sega or Steam.

Tell us what you don't like about it. Or what you would prefer instead.

What makes it horrible for you?

They are not. Steam is operated by Valve.

For one, it gives us no chance to revert back to a older patch if we don't like the new current one.

For one, it gives us no chance to revert back to a older patch if we don't like the new current one.

Reinstall it, turn off automatic updates. Steam Library -> Right Click on Football Manager 2012 -> Properties -> Updates -> Do Not Automatically Update This Game.

But if you want to play on say, the second patch, you cant, either the game out the box or the most uptodate game, it is a point, although i have never gone back to previous patches, so yet again im living in the happy land. Loversleaper must really hate me :D

For the automatic update issue, there's been nothing said about whether you'll be able to choose which patch you want, right?

Is it possible that this could become a choice before FM is launched?

Anyway, thinking about it, one would be able to create a separate login for the computer right. Install FM through Steam on just for that user account? If you download the patch on that account on the computer login - then you could test it there yourself?

If you like it, log back into your other computer account - then install the patch on there if you wanted to.

I know it's a roundabout idea, but would it work for anyone? It's a question at this stage not a suggestion.

For the patch thing. I don't even notice if a patch has been added. It rarely phases me. I've never had the inclination to revert to a different patch. I barely notice when one gets installed as it is.

I would be most grateful if you would point me in the direction of what led you to say such a thing, as, no doubt, you wouldn't want to be seen as "just throwing a post out there" that includes a baseless assumption.

How can you defend against my choice not to buy a game that requires third party software to play? Why would I "drop into every steam related thread"? I have no interest in Steam. As for "i told you so", I wouldn't descend to a level that would even consider the possibility of saying something like this.

I would also suggest that it won't be such a happy time for anyone who can't play their game.

Steam is sort of built to keep you up to date. Fighting this tooth and nail will probably prove more painful than it's worth. The best you can do is set it to not auto-update from whichever version you get with the first install.

Calm down min i was only having a joke, no need to get worked up about it all. Buy the game, dont buy the game, i really dont care :)

Totally against this measure. I know Steam is reliable and all but seriously.. Not everyone has an Internet connection. I am also a lover of hardcopies as well. I want the game in its nice box, stored in my gaming shelve with the rest of my collection. I refuse to install Steam because it's of NO USE to me. I'm not going to install a 3rd Party program just to play one single game, I don't like this idea at all. You should at least give us the right to chose between Steam and offline activation though our machine. Last year you showed great commitment to the fanbase when you required no activation for FM2011. And many people appreciated this and did buy the game eventually. This time, you just show you're in it for the cash. It now is clear why there have been so many updates and blogs about the FM12, warming people up and then throwing the pipebomb. Good luck with that. I'm certainly not going for it if that's how you're going to treat your customers.

For the patch thing. I don't even notice if a patch has been added. It rarely phases me. I've never had the inclination to revert to a different patch. I barely notice when one gets installed as it is.

Why does that not surprise me. ;)

Disappointed with decision to make the game Steam only. I've been playing FM for many years and am a long-term member of this forum but won't be purchasing FM12 - the first game I haven't bought since back in the CM days.

To be completely honest, none of the new features have really caught my eye and making the game Steam only, confirms my decision. It's not a protest stance, I just think the game is losing touch with the fans.

Totally against this measure. I know Steam is reliable and all but seriously.. Not everyone has an Internet connection. I am also a lover of hardcopies as well. I want the game in its nice box, stored in my gaming shelve with the rest of my collection. I refuse to install Steam because it's of NO USE to me. I'm not going to install a 3rd Party program just to play one single game, I don't like this idea at all. You should at least give us the right to chose between Steam and offline activation though our machine. Last year you showed great commitment to the fanbase when you required no activation for FM2011. And many people appreciated this and did buy the game eventually. This time, you just show you're in it for the cash. It now is clear why there have been so many updates and blogs about the FM12, warming people up and then throwing the pipebomb. Good luck with that. I'm certainly not going for it if that's how you're going to treat your customers.

Steam can be ran in offline mode and installed in an internet cafe, library, or another place with an internet connection. Hardcopies can be bought at any video game store as usual, it just requires Steam to activate. Is keeping Steam away from your computer worth not having something you love?

I would have bought the game the same way i have bought it every other year. I will not buy the game this year, dont like steam.

Eventhough I dont personally use steam for anything, nor are relishing the prospect of using it, I can understand developers trying to guard their property. And hey, at least we get accomplishments. From SI's point of view, they cant really expect more than 100 people not buying the game because of this steam thing.. and are those extra 3-4 days (that it takes this system to get cracked) enough to make 100+ people buy the game who'd normally pirate it?

Those numbers (25% off pirated would double sales) sound way too high though. As every piracy related numbers that SI has ever announced. Ofc last year FM was available on russian sites for download even before it was released..

E: I have had some issues with steams offline mode in the past. If BSOD or such has happened, steam usually gets corrupt and does not allow playing offline before it is been run online and database repaired. (though experiences are from few years back, and they could've significantly improved this)

Is keeping Steam away from your computer worth not having something you love?

Yes. It's a matter of principle. I don't like this way of treatment. Hackers and crackers are going to win in the end as they always do so why make it harder for us just for a few more bucks? It doesn't make sense. I'll most probably keep playing FM11.

I think the issue is we shouldn't be forced to have to install Steam to play just one game.

Pretty much. Forcing us to do that is absurd. I'm the legal owner of my machine and I'm the one to chose what to and not to install on my HDD. Not Sega, not EA, not KONAMI or anyone. I don't want Steam, and if Sega wants to act like this, go ahead but my door will remain closed on such an idea. If 2 days of extra income for Sega worth more than customer loyalty and satisfaction, then I'm deeply disappointed as I thought that some of the guys in there were just like us faithful players and lovers of the series.

People moaning about steam ( A program which is free ) Should look how bad EA are, I decided to buy a pre owned copy of fifa 11 from game shop earlier and only when I get home do I find out you have to buy a online pass just because the games second hand, Now that is a true meaning of bad treatment of customers, Thank god SI do listen to us on these forums and it's not like it's costing anyone anything extra to download steam.

No one is forcing you to do anything, you have a choice, you want to play the game install steam, you dont want steam dont play the game.

Again with the loyalty card, your so loyal that at the first sign of something you dont like you turn your back.............

No one is forcing you to do anything, you have a choice, you want to play the game install steam, you dont want steam dont play the game.

Again with the loyalty card, your so loyal that at the first sign of something you dont like you turn your back.............

Customer's always right mate. As I said it's a matter of principle, if they want to have it their way, I'm going to have it my way as well. Yea, I do want to play the game and that's where Sega are gambling their money on, the love of the players.

Well to put it simply, enjoy your principals, ill be enjoying FM12. The only person who will suffer in this is yourself when you miss out, but it is your choice, and i one i dont understand personally, but i wont argue over it with you. SEGA wont miss out mate, you will.

@Milnerpoint - I appreciate what you're saying, but you seem to have a fairly radical definition of "choice" in mind when you make your posts.

There's no getting away from the fact that Sega have gone down a route that will unnecessarily alienate a fair bunch of customers.

That's not good, no matter what sort of spin you want to put on it.

@Milnerpoint - I appreciate what you're saying, but you seem to have a fairly radical definition of "choice" in mind when you make your posts.

There's no getting away from the fact that Sega have gone down a route that will unnecessarily alienate a fair bunch of customers.

But the argument is that they (rightly or wrongly) feel it is necessary to go down this route. Time will tell if this is a good move or not.

There is nothing radical about the choice, you play or you dont, i like playing half life 2, if i want to i have to use steam, if i didnt want steam installed i wouldnt be able to play, that would be my choice, the same now goes for FM. There is no forcing anyone to do anything they dont want, you have the choice as a customer to say no i dont want this, ill move onto something else. Your very much right when you say this will alienate people, but enough to make any mark on the sales figures? Remember SI are a company, not your mate that makes a game you enjoy, yes they are very much more involved with their community than most game dev's, but people shouldnt mistake them as something different to a normal games company when it comes to the botton line. What we also seem to be forgetting is how many fans this could generate for SI and FM, dont count out the size of Steam and its ability to reach people who would not normally had the chance to buy the game, or at least not as easily as they can now. Change always alienates one side of the argument, that is the nature of change, some dont agree with it, some dont agree with the direction and some are quite happy with the whole situation, time will tell if the change has been for the better, my gut instanct says it will, even if they get 1% more sales this year it will have been worth it.

To put it bluntly, I suspect in private the SI bods are disturbed and upset about this, especially as a lot of the walkaway-sayers are loyal customers of many years standing. On the other hand I suspect Sega bods dont give a to$$ - its all about a few more ££'s to them and to be fair that is their business.

I always wondered when this alliance (SI/Sega) would be exposed for what it is - Corporate muscle awaiting to take over homespun ingenuity. So with the burning wreckage of BGS's Championship Manager disappearing in the rear view mirror the day we realised with FM that "thats not grandma, its a wolf in a dress", is here. A whole genre getting spoilt by greed & incompetence - shame.

Wow so most people are getting penalised for people who pirate the game basically, you cant just buy the disc and play you have to download and install steam and run steam everytime you want to play? Would not be aproblem for me but i imagine it would be for a lot of people. Silly move imo the game will eventually get bypassed by someone who knows what they're doing anyway.

I would be most grateful if you would point me in the direction of what led you to say such a thing, as, no doubt, you wouldn't want to be seen as "just throwing a post out there" that includes a baseless assumption.

How can you defend against my choice not to buy a game that requires third party software to play? Why would I "drop into every steam related thread"? I have no interest in Steam. As for "i told you so", I wouldn't descend to a level that would even consider the possibility of saying something like this.

I would also suggest that it won't be such a happy time for anyone who can't play their game.

Its funny how the English abstain from saying "I told you so" so much. If a Corporation makes a mistake after specifically being advised not to by their Customers (FM09 Activation) and then they make the same decision again a few years later (FM12) when again warned by their Customers not to, IF 21st October passes with a significantly greater than normally expected number of issues arrising from it then I think "I told you so" is a very valid & deserved response. Copy & paste it to where ever the lovestruck pro Steam blind and the deaf refused to see the problem in their ignorance - they should be educated if only for next time.