A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

Having the same problem as Loversleaper. Can't even open the bloody thing :mad: The Steam website won't even open, everything else works fine.

this will be fobbed off with the excuse that it was due to a surprise high level number of people trying to register early on steam

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having the same problem as Loversleaper. Can't even open the bloody thing :mad: The Steam website won't even open, everything else works fine.

I just went to it with no problem, worth trying with a different browser? or it may be something simple like cookies.

It's actually more like 2-3 pages of people posting a,b,or c, the other 34-35 pages are probably made up of people arguing amongst themselves

Yep, been repeating itself for a good while, they said what needed to be said already, no point in repeating himself

Kriss, cant get on to the Steam website, can get online with steam program but the Store, News and Community pages are all down

Yep, been repeating itself for a good while, they said what needed to be said already, no point in repeating himself

Kriss, cant get on to the Steam website, can get online with steam program but the Store, News and Community pages are all down

Are you on BT for your ISP? Looking at the forum, it seems no-one with BT can get on the site atm.

I'm looking at them now with no problem so I'm completely at a loss as to why you can't:confused:

Yeh, looking at that it seems BT Infinity is the culprit, a few conspiracy theories floating around too. e.g.

"Might have nothing to do with it but it seems a

bit of a coincidence that this stated pretty much when they launched onlive uk,

which is partnered with BT.

"

:D

Yeh, looking at that it seems BT Infinity is the culprit, a few conspiracy theories floating around too. e.g.

"Might have nothing to do with it but it seems a

bit of a coincidence that this stated pretty much when they launched onlive uk,

which is partnered with BT.

"

:D

Not just Infinity, I'm on a standard package. The above really wouldn't suprise me though in this day and age.

I just went to it with no problem, worth trying with a different browser? or it may be something simple like cookies.

I cleared all those things, Kriss, a lot of us weren't born yesterday. If you google "steam offline error" you might get surprised at how many sites (not just Steam) that discuss this problem so for sure I am not alone, I don't know how far back it goes but the earilest post I saw was from september 2007. The funny thing is that now (just checked again after clearing the few cookies I have accumulated since last night) when I hit either the steam icon or the FM11 icon it now reads "steam is already running, you may only run one copy of steam at a time...".

I better get a hold of Steam support, I just hope they don't put me through the whole clear cache's, clear blobs & clear cookies again because then I will have to do the whole dance & charade again...

The general gist I'm getting from looking around is that BT have deliberately blocked the Steam store and anything related to it because with the sale on, they don't want people 'clogging up' the lines by downloading large files, which if true will have just lost BT a customer. Absolute disgrace.

Hardly, Steam has already coped with far bigger numbers than FM will ever produce.

exactly, people need to remember FM is a very small fish in a huge pond when your talking about steam, far bigger games with bigger audiences have been released on steam without any server issues. FM is not going to bring down steam, it prob wont even touch the sides so to speak.

The general gist I'm getting from looking around is that BT have deliberately blocked the Steam store and anything related to it because with the sale on, they don't want people 'clogging up' the lines by downloading large files, which if true will have just lost BT a customer. Absolute disgrace.

I know we used to get huge problems on FML because certain ISP's throttled to control traffic, BT were the worst followed closely by Virgin, it's scandalous tbh.

I cleared all those things, Kriss, a lot of us weren't born yesterday. If you google "steam offline error" you might get surprised at how many sites (not just Steam) that discuss this problem so for sure I am not alone, I don't know how far back it goes but the earilest post I saw was from september 2007. The funny thing is that now (just checked again after clearing the few cookies I have accumulated since last night) when I hit either the steam icon or the FM11 icon it now reads "steam is already running, you may only run one copy of steam at a time...".

I better get a hold of Steam support, I just hope they don't put me through the whole clear cache's, clear blobs & clear cookies again because then I will have to do the whole dance & charade again...

At this stage I'd be doing a complete clean reinstall of Steam after deleting every trace of it tbh

I know we used to get huge problems on FML because certain ISP's throttled to control traffic, BT were the worst followed closely by Virgin, it's scandalous tbh.

What a joke. Do they not get the fact that people use the internet for gaming?

Edit- just run a tracert on the IP address and it just says 'General Failure'. Looks like BT are going to be getting an angry phonecall.

Loversleaper- if you can get to it, try logging in with your username in lowercase. Apparently it fixes the problem.

I have already stated that when I hit the icons I can't even get to that stage, when I goto start>steam>exit steam it still reads "steam is already running...". The only real option I have left is to unistall and try to reinstall. I can't download at the office and will have to wait untill tonight when I get home, I was hoping that others that have steam problems try this and get back if this is a feasible solution...

I have already stated that when I hit the icons I can't even get to that stage, when I goto start>steam>exit steam it still reads "steam is already running...". The only real option I have left is to unistall and try to reinstall. I can't download at the office and will have to wait untill tonight when I get home, I was hoping that others that have steam problems try this and get back if this is a feasible solution...

Looks like you're in the same boat as me then :(

Managed to get the install file through the Proxy, and now I just get 'Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam you must first connect to the internet'. Well I am connected to the internet or I wouldn't be posting this.

Edit- Peerblock doesn't like Steam for some reason :confused: Disabled it and it's working (I think).

If BT is blocking Steam on network level, no amount of fiddling client-side will fix it. Needs to be addressed by BT. If you can bounce via a proxy/vpn that would bypass the block, but yeah, you'd need to do that for all traffic to/from Steam.

No clue to be honest. I wouldn't think intentional blocking of specific commercial services would fly. Though it may just be a network issue that BT will (eventually) resolve once they're informed and have had it investigated.

yeah i dont think BT would legally be allowed to block Steam, there would be no good reason for it really, its not a bandwidth hog or anything, i would imagine its an issue with the BT network in your area, i'm on normal BT where i am and im having no issues with steam or the website.

yeah i dont think BT would legally be allowed to block Steam, there would be no good reason for it really, its not a bandwidth hog or anything, i would imagine its an issue with the BT network in your area, i'm on normal BT where i am and im having no issues with steam or the website.

It's not just my area. It's widespread. There's a thread on the BT forums (where BT haven't even bothered to give us a proper explanation), and there's people on the Steam forums who can't access it either.

It's not just my area. It's widespread. There's a thread on the BT forums (where BT haven't even bothered to give us a proper explanation), and there's people on the Steam forums who can't access it either.

Sorry i hadnt looked up the problem really i was just throwing a post out there, its very strange tho, like i say im on bog standard out the box net from BT up here in Aberdeen but i dont have any issues at all. You got a link at all for the problems? My old mans a BT tech, he could maybe offer some help if i can point him in the right direction to the problem.

milnerpoint lives in heaven ;):D...

I can't think of any good car analogies that could explain what is going on right now...

Sorry i hadnt looked up the problem really i was just throwing a post out there, its very strange tho, like i say im on bog standard out the box net from BT up here in Aberdeen but i dont have any issues at all. You got a link at all for the problems? My old mans a BT tech, he could maybe offer some help if i can point him in the right direction to the problem.

Well here's the BT thread: http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Wont-connect-to-Steam-Webpage-s/td-p/291741/page/5

The problem is you can't access www.steampowered.com, nor can you access the Store/Community from the Steam client itself.

Sorry i hadnt looked up the problem really i was just throwing a post out there...

I hope you don't mind if I copy/paste this part and store it away somewhere... :cool:

My old mans a BT tech, he could maybe offer some help if i can point him in the right direction to the problem.

Anything word from pops? I am not in the UK, so it might be a global problem and might not really have anything to do with BT. Maybe Steam is just updating...?

I hope you don't mind if I copy/paste this part and store it away somewhere... :cool:

Anything word from pops? I am not in the UK, so it might be a global problem and might not really have anything to do with BT. Maybe Steam is just updating...?

Steam's not just updating, it works apart from the store, news and community, and that's both on the client and on the website which won't work at all.

Just make sure and use it at the right time ;) hahahaha

Ive asked him about the issue and emailed him the link so knows what im going on about, i doubt he is going to offer any quick solutions if its an issue with the BT network but im hoping at the least he can tell me they are aware of it or that it is something he has been working on, ill get back to you guys when i hear from him.

Just make sure and use it at the right time ;) hahahaha

Ive asked him about the issue and emailed him the link so knows what im going on about, i doubt he is going to offer any quick solutions if its an issue with the BT network but im hoping at the least he can tell me they are aware of it or that it is something he has been working on, ill get back to you guys when i hear from him.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Managed to get the install file through the Proxy, and now I just get 'Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam you must first connect to the internet'. Well I am connected to the internet or I wouldn't be posting this.

Edit- Peerblock doesn't like Steam for some reason :confused: Disabled it and it's working (I think).

It's on this list:https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Archived