A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If SI think that this will make any difference then they are sorely mistaken. Crackers will always find a way to pirate the game. Heck, some of the very best probably already know how they're going to do it already.

Also, as well as the ones without the internet, what about us that aren't blessed with high spec machines? Granted the user will need to meet the minimum spec, but Steam is still another background application that's going to eat away at valuable ram.

As someone who already possesses games on Steam, having valued price over the issues I've had with the system, I'm certainly apprehensive. I'll be picking the game up on day one as normal, though I have no idea whether I will have internet access by that time so it could be gathering dust. Guess I should have seen it coming, though I can't help feeling disappointed that this is the road my main game is going down...

May have to actually work, perish the thought!

If SI think that this will make any difference then they are sorely mistaken. Crackers will always find a way to pirate the game. Heck, some of the very best probably already know how they're going to do it already.

Also, as well as the ones without the internet, what about us that aren't blessed with high spec machines? Granted the user will need to meet the minimum spec, but Steam is still another background application that's going to eat away at valuable ram.

Steam uses minimal resources

Morning all...just watching an improved england performance in the rugby (all be it against Romania)

There appears to be a solution to those not being able to log in. The bug is a "case sensitive" issue with your log in details. The steps i took to fix the problems were:

1) Whilst in Steam account click on "Change User" - this should log you out and clear any pre existing saved info

2) Re-Log in but when entering your user name enter it ALL in LOWER CASE!!! Then enter your password and make sure you have it set that Steam remembers your details.

3) In settings check that "Do not save account credentials on this computer" box is not checked

4) Click on Go Offline and then click Restart in offline mode

5) Hopefully problem sorted...

Just a quick thank you to milnerpoint and eugene tyson for their help and "patience" ;-)

For the last time- the Mods have tried very hard to let this thread continue so that those with comments, both positive and negative, can air their views. In the last 2 or 3 days this has now developed into a few specific posters discussing, arguing, sniping and being pedantic about the issues. It is time to move on- the decision has been taken, SI and SEGA are aware of the concerns of the forum and I am sure will try to alleviate those that they can. We have no desire to start issuing infractions , so be very sure that any further comments are relevant, reasonable and civil, because there will be no more warnings for anyone who crosses these lines.

For the last time- the Mods have tried very hard to let this thread continue so that those with comments, both positive and negative, can air their views. In the last 2 or 3 days this has now developed into a few specific posters discussing, arguing, sniping and being pedantic about the issues. It is time to move on- the decision has been taken, SI and SEGA are aware of the concerns of the forum and I am sure will try to alleviate those that they can. We have no desire to start issuing infractions , so be very sure that any further comments are relevant, reasonable and civil, because there will be no more warnings for anyone who crosses these lines.

Fair comment. I have a suggestion to pass on to the SI /Steam "negotiators". Could activation commence at approx 3AM on release day. This way it is too late for the vast majority to be activating, and too early also. That way only a small number would be testing the process but this would help relieve the "rush hour" (around 9AM) demand on the servers and give maybe 6 hours for remote monitoring by the tech Guys. This way if something goes wrong you have 6 hours to sort any unforeseen issues and you get a manageable test customer base activation sample. Just thinking of covering all bases, and hoping that this controversial decision having been made in such a bullish way that a silly o'clock start for some Tech Support staff is not too unreasonable a request.

Having recently taken a break from flight simming to give FM2011 a try, I found I was really enjoying playing and was seriously looking forward to FM2012. Now that Steam are involved however I have decided to return to flight simming and forget all about FM. Sorry guys but this is a no go for me. Am now planning my next tranatlantic flight, so its back to flight simming for me.

John

Wow...What's with all the Steam hate? What will it actually cost you just to install it?

*shrug*

Steam doesn't make you do anything you don't want to do. It doesn't force games on you, it doesn't force you to pay any fees for using it. So I don't really understand what everyone seems to have an issue about? Maybe I'm missing something? Someone care to enlighten me?

Wow...What's with all the Steam hate? What will it actually cost you just to install it?

*shrug*

Steam doesn't make you do anything you don't want to do. It doesn't force games on you, it doesn't force you to pay any fees for using it. So I don't really understand what everyone seems to have an issue about? Maybe I'm missing something? Someone care to enlighten me?

It cost me 1 hour to set up with all the faffing about (see previous posts) so you tell me, how much do you earn per hour - that will be an approximate real cost.

It cost me 1 hour to set up with all the faffing about (see previous posts) so you tell me, how much do you earn per hour - that will be an approximate real cost.

Then how many hours do you play Football Manager for?

I've clocked well over 900 hours. So if you think about it, it's 901 hours setup time.

That's a solid years wages :D

Sorry you had issues setting it up. Seems like a lot of people will struggle to get to grips with Steam, whether be buggy, installation problems, or whatver other reasons.

It's going to be a tough year for FM12 I would imagine.

I have a question regarding this decision from SI.

There is only one legal option to play this game - connect to internet/steam and register.

We all know that there will be option to play the game without internet connection also. Illegally of course.

Considering the above, why wouldnt SI leave the option to play the game offline legaly?

You will be able to play FM 2012 without having to connect to the Internet and log in to Steam. You will only have to install it online via Steam and play it for the first time connected to the Internet and logged in to Steam. Or am I missing something?

I have a question regarding this decision from SI.

There is only one legal option to play this game - connect to internet/steam and register.

We all know that there will be option to play the game without internet connection also. Illegally of course.

Considering the above, why wouldnt SI leave the option to play the game offline legaly?

You dont need a internet connection to play the game. You only need it to activate the game.

After that, you can turn steam to offline, and play the game whitout internet connection.

So, in fact, you have the option to play the game offline legaly! :)

You dont miss anything (apart that youll have to log on again for patches), but as I am in this small wagon of just a few people in the world who dont have the internet connection and cant take my desktop to the street and connect to wireless network, I wont be able to register. As a long time customer I am really disappointed that people will be able to play it without connecting illegally while I wont be able.

You have the point about eventual patches though.

Sorry you had issues setting it up. Seems like a lot of people will struggle to get to grips with Steam, whether be buggy, installation problems, or whatver other reasons.

It's going to be a tough year for FM12 I would imagine.

People reactivating old Steam accounts they haven't used for a while seem to be having particular problems, I think clean installed new accounts are okay (PC anyway)

what part you dont understand? i dont have the internet connection and i am not able to get one either. While i would buy the game, I cant register it.

While illegal copy will be perfectly suited to play offline completely, why didnt SI provide some legal way of offline gaming.

I wonder why didnt they find a way to register yourself, one who posesses the licence for the software (game) instead of registering the computer. I would be happy to register on internet, with some other computer, but i cant register my desktop.

You authenticate your copy of the game via Steam online. Once that is done you can turn Steam to offline mode, and you no longer need to have internet connected.

However, you must have Steam running to play FM. When you're not playing FM you can quit Steam.

To use Steam in Offline Mode view these instructions

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Please be advised that currently Offline Mode is not working - as there appears to be some bug with the latest update. See if you can update Steam.

what part you dont understand? i dont have the internet connection and i am not able to get one either. While i would buy the game, I cant register it.

While illegal copy will be perfectly suited to play offline completely, why didnt SI provide some legal way of offline gaming.

I wonder why didnt they find a way to register yourself, one who posesses the licence for the software (game) instead of registering the computer. I would be happy to register on internet, with some other computer, but i cant register my desktop.

Sorry, i read the final posts of the thread, and didn't fully realize your situation.

Like you said, you belong to the small (i believe it's small) group of people that dont have internet, and play the game in a desktop (those who play in a laptop can easily solve that problem).

Have you try send a pm to ony of the gy from SI (Neil Brock, or anyone else), and explain your problem?

If you want an illegal copy, you'll have to download it from the internet.

You authenticate your copy of the game via Steam online. Once that is done you can turn Steam to offline mode, and you no longer need to have internet connected.

However, you must have Steam running to play FM. When you're not playing FM you can quit Steam.

To use Steam in Offline Mode view these instructions

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Please be advised that currently Offline Mode is not working - as there appears to be some bug with the latest update. See if you can update Steam.

Oh, not very confidence inducing!!! FM12 will be my first Steam download (God help me!), FM demos aside, can anyone confirm if this "bug" effects games already off line or is it getting into offline mode that is the problem? In other words if Im playing FM12 in the near future "offline" will future bugs have any effect on my offline gaming?

Oh, not very confidence inducing!!! FM12 will be my first Steam download (God help me!), FM demos aside, can anyone confirm if this "bug" effects games already off line or is it getting into offline mode that is the problem? In other words if Im playing FM12 in the near future "offline" will future bugs have any effect on my offline gaming?

The bug was in the new client, so if you are "offline" already, you shouldnt be affected by a similar case

The bug was in the new client, so if you are "offline" already, you shouldnt be affected by a similar case

Thanks that reassures me (trusting that their systems are fit for purpose on 21st October), a bit. You really would think Steam may have made a greater effort not to Fxxx things up during this pre FM12 release period (I trust they are aware that this decision to use Steam is not wholey popular with SI Customers?). Or maybe FM12 is not a big deal to them - just another game.

You really would think Steam may have made a greater effort not to Fxxx things up during this pre FM12 release period (I trust they are aware that this decision to use Steam is not wholey popular with SI Customers?).

The timing of the special deals on SEGA games would suggest that they are trying to tempt people who play FM into giving it a try, though obviously the games on offer won't appeal to all. Picked my TW mega pack for £11.90 today :cool:

Murphy's law on computing states; " A person advocating that a piece of software is the bees knees, is a guarantee that said software will develop a bug":D

It's just not really on, is it? The box presumably won't inform the customer that he/she may not be able to actually play the game whilst offline.

Like I've said before - I'm not keen on online activation, but if it's a necessary evil to beat piracy we'll just have to accept it. Running Steam constantly isn't the same as a one-off activation. It's intrusive, unnecessary and can potentially deny access to the game the customer has legitimately purchased. It shouldn't be the only option.

Murphy's law on computing states; " A person advocating that a piece of software is the bees knees, is a guarantee that said software will develop a bug":D

And the law of common sense says "if Unilock let you down in 2008, be sure the pretender to their crown is worthy before you hand them the keys your crown jewels 3 years later"

Will it be problem if I use internet tethering via my iPhone to activate? I don't have a connection at home, nor am I likely to have one in the next month.

All in all, not really that pleased as I sometimes have problems with Steam not always remembering my offline details. Meaning I then have to cart my whole setup round to my mums house and log back on JUST to play the game!

I was gonna buy on CD this year to try cut out this problem....

It's just not really on, is it? The box presumably won't inform the customer that he/she may not be able to actually play the game whilst offline.

It's up to Steam to make sure this isn't an issue, if there's a known problem they should fix it.

It's up to Steam to make sure this isn't an issue, if there's a known problem they should fix it.

Again, I've repeatedly pointed out that being denied access to your game for any amount of time at all by Steam is unacceptable. You've paid for it and a third party program shouldn't be stopping you playing it. A minute is too long.

I dont like Steam as they limit the use of your property and put files in silly and sometimes unusable locations and formats.

Could someone from SI please tell me whether all the files of the game will be accessible? I mainly ask for inserting editor files and facepacks etc. If they are accessible are they in the same location as before or hidden somewhere in steams hieroglyphics?

So no FM12 for me. I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL SOME OTHER PROGRAM THAT NEEDS TO BE RUNNING TO PLAY A GAME.

Well, I can at least continue playing my current FM10 save for the next year (skipped FM11), and maybe they'll wise up for FM13.

The latest.....

Now when I shut down my laptop Steam Screenshot Manager kicks in and blocks log-off. I have to force close.And they say Steam is non intrusive. LIARS!

Then I have to log back into Steam again. Of course it tells me I have never used this Steam account on this laptop (the very same laptop I created my Steam account on!).

None of this is funny. I will try to download the demo from Steam when it is released, but any issues doing that and no FM12 order for me. Ill play FM11 much less hassle.

Dont worry though you will only be losing a loyal customer of 14 years, so dont let it spoil your Boardroom bubbly!

Archived