A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Not sure what you mean by "works best when you are online"? It works exactly the same if you're in offline or online mode, doesn't it?

-You should have separate Steam accounts. And purchase a version of the game for each account. That's what's required.

-If you remain in Offline Mode you won't get the Patches.

-Again Offline Mode and you won't get Patches.

-It's now a requirement of the game, it will be up to you to have sufficient internet connection or download space on your account. I'm sure you're resourceful enough to sort this out, perhaps using a friends internet connection or something?

-How do you know? It hasn't been released yet? I certainly hope you aren't advocating that people wait for the pirated version rather than installing a legitimate version of the game using the methods specified by SI and Sega for playing the game through Steam?

1.) You go to offline mode when you are online and then have to check if the game still works. (no pending downloads etc etc...check their FAQ about offline mode). Its not something you can rely on if your net connection dies unexpectedly. (not really a problem for me...its usually steam that has problems not my line)

2.) Im sorry but i cant manage 50 different accounts. Some people have way more games than i do. Should they have 200 different accounts?

3.) True, until offline mode decides it wants to check online again. Besides how can you know you dont want the new patch if you dont try it first?

4.) True, but still an inconvenience. Not a major problem i agree.

5.) Should people move just to play FM? I dont have that problem but many others do. Just cause i dont have that problem doesnt mean its not a problem.

6.) Steam is very poor copy protection system. All steam games are pirated the moment they are released. Check the torrent sites on the day of release if you dont believe me. And no...im not advocating such a thing. Just stating that going with steam only because of piracy is a very flawed argument. Most likely its just a lie to hide whatever their true motive is.

look at the web page you linked and read along the bold section ... oh look it's the word: combatting!!!!

combatting: present participle of comĀ·bat

Verb: Take action to reduce, destroy, or prevent (something undesirable).

:rolleyes:

cheers,

kymsheba

Either spelling is actually acceptable though one is allegedly British and the other American so I stand half corrected;) however as I'm a Moderator I can spell "banned" so don't get too cheeky:D

And naturally you've been everywhere to make that assumption...

No but surprisingly enough I am aware of the existence of wi-fi hotspots in other countries, therefore its reasonable to assume that a similar service exists in other countries.

yes i agree they can't go stating figures where there is no way to know the amount of piracy, it is impossible.

cheers,

kymsheba

Don't they put tracking codes into the software? I know some softwares do. And it states that information such as computer, hardware, location etc. for possible false registration key will be transmitted to a website and they can then sort those by country and the amount of people.

Of course that is an estimate, as not everyone would be online. But it's one possible way.

Thank you for the example Eugene. You are in agreement right? :confused:

Steam's patching system works under the assumption that the latest game version is the "best", i.e. bug fixed and as-intended. Thus this is pushed out whenever possible and any older, buggy versions are phased out. While this obviously eliminates patching choice for us users - arguably not desirable - let's not lose sight of the fact that it's only really considered a problem due to bad patching resulting from inadequate testing. To me that's the core issue to address, not Steam's perhaps overly idealistic patching strategy. There shouldn't be a reason to want to use an outdated version - that suggests they've messed something up in the newer one.

In the case of FM I suppose there may be subjective reasons, like maybe preferring previous ME behavior, but I think it's worth at least understanding that the system is what it is to make sure players have a smooth experience with as few bugs and as many fixes in place as possible, not to limit choice or force anything through. Xbox Live does the exact same thing for Xbox 360 games for instance, if the console is connected. From my experience with Steam over the years there is no feature in place to let you "choose which version to use", and it's probably unrealistic to expect it to be coded into Steam just for FM.

Just for some perspective. Steam isn't for everyone - last year's system of choice seems preferable to me - but some parts of it are painted as borderline malicious/anti-consumer here when this really isn't the intent. It's a digital download system and online community designed for Internet connected computers - it functions best when you use it as such and less so the more you fight it. As a payload for just a single game it's clearly "heavy"; it only really comes into its own when used as the gaming platform it's meant to be. It's not really surprising to me to see people who don't want to use it as such grow sour with it, but really, direct that frustration at the publisher that left you no other choice, not Steam.

SI/SEGA are the ones with the numbers here, but unlike for games with predominantly "gamer" audiences, I don't think Steam-only is a good idea for FM that from my perspective seems to have a predominantly casual/non-gamer audience of simply football fans. A tie-in to a platform like Steam is likely of no interest to a lot of these people and the slightest addition to system requirements (say, have an Internet connection, or a graphics card that isn't 7 years old from back when the 3D engine was released) causes wider issues than with more "techy" gaming crowds. I could be wrong - Miles' numbers seem to suggest that most people did use Steam last year when given the choice - these are just my impressions.

I'm guessing we'll need to wait for the FM12 sales numbers to draw any conclusions.

Don't they put tracking codes into the software? I know some softwares do. And it states that information such as computer, hardware, location etc. for possible false registration key will be transmitted to a website and they can then sort those by country and the amount of people.

Of course that is an estimate, as not everyone would be online.

But it's one possible way.

Didn't someone rubbish this before, calling the poster paranoid and afraid of big brother?

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why someone who objects to third party software would then use a torrent client from a third party and entrust the security of their system to a hacked game?

I'd say nobody who is against steam here is willing to do what you say. If we were, we wouldn't be so upset and wouldn't write 25+ pages to protest.

Personally I'm 100% sure I won't download a hacked version: it would take ages for me, then I'd probably have to find cracks, passwords etc from very untrustful sources. Which would be ALMOST as ennoying as subscribing to steam.

Unfortunately I'm also 100% sure I won't buy the game (SI may not care, but this is my only way to express my aversion for their decision)

How do you quantify the unquantifiable? If SI released a version with no DRM at all, how would they know if their sales volumes were affected by that any more than the quality of the game itself?

Precisely, and when SI release FM12 with Steam activation only, how would they know if their sales volumes were affected by that any more than the quality of the game itself? ;)

Precisely, and when SI release FM12 with Steam activation only, how would they know if their sales volumes were affected by that any more than the quality of the game itself? ;)

Well which is safer to do. Release a game with no DRM and guess if sales volumes are affected by piracy, or release a game with DRM and guess if sales volumes are affected by piracy.

I am curious why SI didn't mention the STEAM announcement when they first started releasing bits of info, I mean even if it was not definate at the time they should still have mentioned they were looking into this and got some feedback from their customers first, I think all the protest that is appearing may just have taken them by suprise a bit.

It would be good to hear from an SI rep and tell us why they will not release a non steam version as well, it would solve all the protests if we had the option of either way of going. I mean they can't honestly think we are going to believe them for the reason stated by them about piracy.

Please SI come into the forum and discuss with us the reasons for this and what future releases will be like ie: will they go to an option of a steam version and a non-steam version for FM13? Or at least consider and discuss with us their fans about the possiblity of this happening.

Cheers,

kymsheba

I am curious why SI didn't mention the STEAM announcement when they first started releasing bits of info, I mean even if it was not definate at the time they should still have mentioned they were looking into this and got some feedback from their customers first, I think all the protest that is appearing may just have taken them by suprise a bit.

It would be good to hear from an SI rep and tell us why they will not release a non steam version as well, it would solve all the protests if we had the option of either way of going. I mean they can't honestly think we are going to believe them for the reason stated by them about piracy.

Please SI come into the forum and discuss with us the reasons for this and what future releases will be like ie: will they go to an option of a steam version and a non-steam version for FM13? Or at least consider and discuss with us their fans about the possiblity of this happening.

Cheers,

kymsheba

They've already made the answers to these questions perfectly clear, particularly in Miles' long last post.

Cheers,

kymsheba

They've already done that, you need to read back a whole lot of pages, basically DRM for FM13 will depend on the results of Steam only for FM12.

They've already done that, you need to read back a whole lot of pages, basically DRM for FM13 will depend on the results of Steam only for FM12.
Thanks for the info guys, you don't happen to have the post number do you so I don't have to go searching through?

Cheers,

kymsheba

They have no obligation to get feedback from customers? Just because they didn't do it through the forums doesn't mean they didn't get any feedback? Why do you think they didn't get feedback?

It's their company, their game, they may have made a mistake by taking the decision out of the consumers hands. But that's their choice.

I think they knew exactly what feedback they would get. Make no mistake of that.

They already have stated this. All this talk about not believing "it can't be just about piracy" is absolute madness. As if it's some kind of conspiracy?

They have come to the forums. They explained their reasons already. And they said they didn't take the decision lightly, they didn't do it for FM10 or FM11 because they didn't think any system was viable. But they felt for FM12 it was a good solution and they wanted to use it to help combat piracy, which they are having a huge problem with.

There has been no decision made about FM13, I would imagine. It will depend on how well Steam goes for FM12, as it's the first time trying this system.

Well which is safer to do. Release a game with no DRM and guess if sales volumes are affected by piracy, or release a game with DRM and guess if sales volumes are affected by piracy.
it's really difficult to go on line and find a cracked version of a DRM 'protected' game. [/sarcasm]

So therefor they should just give up and stop trying to stop people stealing their product?

I think there comes a point when it makes more sense to focus on increasing the number of paying customers (and retaining existing customers) than it is spending money on increasingly exclusive methods of DRM. Not saying that the Steam DRM is expensive for Sega or SI, but the last few years they've tried all sorts that can't have been cheap.

Making FM available on Steam is a good idea, as was opening it up to other online distributers.

I don't have access to the internet except when at work, and when at my sisters. My PC is not equipped to be carried to an internet connection to activate a game.

I won't be able to activate the game, so therefore may as well not bother buying.

Has Sega and Sports Interactive actually even considered those without the internet? Or do they think everyone has it now? Not everyone can afford the internet. With regards to internet, 99% of them you sign up to a yearly contract, something I can't afford to do right now. Though a game I enjoy(ed) I can afford once a year to play instead if I saved for it.

So what do Sega and SI suggest I do then? p.s. if this has been answered in here, I have not seen it as its a really long thread, and not got the time during my lunch hour to read it all.

Sod off, apparently. There is no option for you if you have no internet access.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why someone who objects to third party software would then use a torrent client from a third party and entrust the security of their system to a hacked game?
Apparently not, but what is your point?

It has been suggested more than once that Steam only activation could actually increase piracy. I am simply pointing out that it swaps one piece of third party software for another and potentially opens up your computer to far more risk than Steam, so I personally don't see the advantage.

They have no obligation to get feedback from customers?

They already have stated this. All this talk about not believing "it can't be just about piracy" is absolute madness. As if it's some kind of conspiracy?

Just because I don't think that's the whole truth does not mean I believe there is a conspiracy. I think they are doing it because SEGA want to because it's mutually beneficial for SEGA and steam to have a good working relationship, which unfortunately means annoying some customers. If they honestly believe Steam will help combat piracy that's up to them, I just think it is incredibly naive to believe that.

Unless of course there is some data none of us know about showing that steam activated games are significantly less susceptible to piracy. If that's the case good move, it'll be worth it. But I really, really doubt that data exists.

See this thread here stating that they sell more copies of their games on Steam then all the other sources. I haven't bought one of their games off Steam but I assume you have to run Steam to play them just like every other game on Steam. So they are more then happy to use Steam, they obviously feel that it is a form of DRM that offers paying customers extra value completely invalidating your arguement.

Just loved the way you turned that into your basis of disregarding what everybody has been saying. Paradox offer steam because many people are happy to use, they also offer a version without any DRM because they have customers who want to use it. They have not seen a downturn in sales because of this. Hope we still have some case for an argument ;)

So therefor they should just give up and stop trying to stop people stealing their product?

Personally I would if you are driving customers away. They don't want my 30 quid? I'm sure their are plenty of other devolpers that will have it. I dont have a problem with them protecting their IP but I do have a problem with them telling me to install 3rd party spyware on my system to use it. Why not have 2 versions, one for steam and one with old style word/letter out of the manual protection? I think I know which the hackers would go after.

Just because I don't think that's the whole truth does not mean I believe there is a conspiracy. I think they are doing it because SEGA want to because it's mutually beneficial for SEGA and steam to have a good working relationship, which unfortunately means annoying some customers. If they honestly believe Steam will help combat piracy that's up to them, I just think it is incredibly naive to believe that.

Unless of course there is some data none of us know about showing that steam activated games are significantly less susceptible to piracy. If that's the case good move, it'll be worth it. But I really, really doubt that data exists.

No. Steam games are cracked just as easily as any others according to websites. Maybe Paradox will release a football manager game ;)

It has been suggested more than once that Steam only activation could actually increase piracy. I am simply pointing out that it swaps one piece of third party software for another and potentially opens up your computer to far more risk than Steam, so I personally don't see the advantage.

Correct, Steam will not increase piracy. But will it reduce it significantly? I really doubt it.

This decision in my view (and this is entirely my own view/interpretation before anyone jumps all over me for it) is this:

1. SEGA/SI want some kind of registry in an attempt to combat piracy, but they want it to be financially relatively low risk.

2. Steam offer it for free on the condition that all users have to download & be logged into steam at all times while playing (increasing traffic and therefore sales).

3. SEGA/SI realise this is the best option for them and they have a LOYAL (can't think of a better word) and die hard fan base, and a near monopoly on the genre of PC management sims, therefore can afford to force steam on their customers. Leaving their customers only 2 choices, do what your told or don't play FM. This is why I'm peeved. (Not peeved enough to not play FM though :D)

Nobody has ever claimed it's the answer to piracy. It would be delusional to suggest so. Fighting piracy isn't about eliminating it, but about reducing it so that businesses aren't drained.

I'm of the opinion people deserve to be paid for their work. And if Steam can prevent some privacy so that the good folks that make this wonderful game that I have so far enjoyed over 900 hours on FM11 alone can get paid and produce an even better game for me, rather than going bust.

Yeh I'm on SI, Sega and Steams side.

I don't have access to the internet except when at work, and when at my sisters. My PC is not equipped to be carried to an internet connection to activate a game.

I won't be able to activate the game, so therefore may as well not bother buying.

Has Sega and Sports Interactive actually even considered those without the internet? Or do they think everyone has it now? Not everyone can afford the internet. With regards to internet, 99% of them you sign up to a yearly contract, something I can't afford to do right now. Though a game I enjoy(ed) I can afford once a year to play instead if I saved for it.

So what do Sega and SI suggest I do then?

p.s. if this has been answered in here, I have not seen it as its a really long thread, and not got the time during my lunch hour to read it all.

With that in mind, then SI should never developed the 3D match engine, because their are users that dont have a PC with the requirements to play the game in 3D?

Games companys made games that need certain requirements. It's up to the potential users to see if they have the right hardware to play those games. That not of any concern of the game company if you dont have internet.

When FM2009 was released my PC could match the requirements to play the game in 3D. Should i blame SI for that? If i what to play the game... buy a new PC (or upgrade).

But in yout case, you dont even need to do that. Go to your sisters house and activate the game there. they play it with steam in offline mode! :)

Correct, Steam will not increase piracy. But will it reduce it significantly? I really doubt it.

This decision in my view (and this is entirely my own view/interpretation before anyone jumps all over me for it) is this:

1. SEGA/SI want some kind of registry in an attempt to combat piracy, but they want it to be financially relatively low risk.

2. Steam offer it for free on the condition that all users have to download & be logged into steam at all times while playing (increasing traffic and therefore sales).

3. SEGA/SI realise this is the best option for them and they have a LOYAL (can't think of a better word) and die hard fan base, and a near monopoly on the genre of PC management sims, therefore can afford to force steam on their customers. Leaving their customers only 2 choices, do what your told or don't play FM. This is why I'm peeved. (Not peeved enough to not play FM though :D)

2. certainly isn't true as in logged in and on line.

100% agree with this! But tell me, If you were SI or SEGA, wouldn't you do the same? :lol:

Eugene,

I don't get that. Once one pirated version is made that's it. It will just be uploaded and downloaded over thousands of forums. Where do we get the idea that there are hundreds of people trying to work out how to pirate the game. It is more likely 5 or 6 people focusing on FM for example. 5 pirated copies sent out will be 5000 in a week.

And someone who can't see why the company will not offer another option is against them and for the pirates....missing the point.

A really interesting interview with a guy who breaks these games stated that he "loved a challenge".

2. certainly isn't true as in logged in and on line.

Everybody has to go online at some point to register. The program is on their machine. Easy access for bored people to get a new game. Basically free advertising and a Steam shop in your front room.

I don't really want easy access to another way to waste my money. It's like I said in an earlier post, How many times have you been into a shop to get something specific and bought something else as well?

I believe one of the reason's Steam has been taken up this year is that its got to the stage where internet access is near universal and therefore it is commercially viable to do this.

Of course there are exceptions, but you can't cater for everyone.

It's not even countrywide, let alone universal, so if it's one of SI's or your reasons it is a poor one.

Eugene,

I don't get that. Once one pirated version is made that's it. It will just be uploaded and downloaded over thousands of forums. Where do we get the idea that there are hundreds of people trying to work out how to pirate the game. It is more likely 5 or 6 people focusing on FM for example. 5 pirated copies sent out will be 5000 in a week.

And someone who can't see why the company will not offer another option is against them and for the pirates....missing the point.

A really interesting interview with a guy who breaks these games stated that he "loved a challenge".

I read a really interesting with a guy who used to pirate games all the time. And stopped.

Read all the interviews you like.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=steam+piracy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You'll find some very interesting ones there. I've read about a dozen so far.

And all in all turns me more in the favour of Steam.

Archived