A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I buy the disc and authenticate through Steam, I can go into offline modus and play the game. Do I need to have the disc in the drive when I want to play?

Second question.

I live in Germany, but as the game isn't available here I buy the game from Play. My computer has a German IP-Adresse. Will I still be able to activate the game through Steam?

Ok thanks. So I can play the game from any of my computers, but would have to have this Steam client installed on all of them?

Yup. I have FM11 on my computer here and on my dad's back home. I don't need the disc for either.

As an aside, I would also like to point out that even my dad is younger than Kriss.

Ok thanks. So I can play the game from any of my computers, but would have to have this Steam client installed on all of them?

That's correct, and of course any other computer anywhere in the world (when you take your Hawaian holiday for instance):D

Yup. I have FM11 on my computer here and on my dad's back home. I don't need the disc for either.

As an aside, I would also like to point out that even my dad is younger than Kriss.

I still think I might be your Dad tbh, your mum always lied about her age:p

And this is my problem. Until now I have played FM on my laptop, but this year was planning to play on my main computer, as it is faster and the monitor is larger. However, I really don't fancy installing Steam on this computer. As there are no other documents of importance on my laptop then I suppose it would have to be this and only this.

Apparently only things you can rant at SI about qualify, all other third party software is to be ignored;)

What, software that is actually needed for the game to install and run properly? When it clearly isn't the case with Steam, seeing as it has no effect on development, as has been proved over the past years? How about not being deliberately obtuse.

And this is my problem. Until now I have played FM on my laptop, but this year was planning to play on my main computer, as it is faster and the monitor is larger. However, I really don't fancy installing Steam on this computer. As there are no other documents of importance on my laptop then I suppose it would have to be this and only this.

Do you really think Steam is going to blow up your laptop or get it full of viruses or something and you'll end up losing all your documents, etc...?!

My God! In what age do we liveeeeee!!!!!!!

I always have Steam open anyway, so the decision doesn't affect me. Even moreso because I won't be getting the game anyway. But those who are upset at the decision:

- You don't have to buy the game, vote with your wallets

- SI can do what they want and don't owe you anything, regardless of how many years you've been buying their product

- The FM franchise will not grind to a halt because of this decision, if anything it'll probably outsell last year's

- The same feedback and predictions that it will damage the brand have been made for the last 4 years ever since activation was introduced

- There is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about having Steam installed, it may be time for you to have to move in to the 21st century, I know, I know, change is scary

If I buy the disc and authenticate through Steam, I can go into offline modus and play the game. Do I need to have the disc in the drive when I want to play?

Second question.

I live in Germany, but as the game isn't available here I buy the game from Play. My computer has a German IP-Adresse. Will I still be able to activate the game through Steam?

I posted about this earlier & I trust that Bertie (I'm sure that's who reaplied) will look into however due to German law I do not believe that you can actiavate the from a German IP address, you could always try a proxy server if that does not break any laws .

Jesus, it's like Steam is an little man with a bazooka that will shoot you or destroy your computer from inside...go to control panel/programmes and features and there you can read about all little programmes which are installed so other thing can work properly...no ranting about flash players, javas, directx... And now "I wanted to play FM on my new PC, but I really don't want to install Steam on it" C'mon...

I posted about this earlier & I trust that Bertie (I'm sure that's who reaplied) will look into however due to German law I do not believe that you can actiavate the from a German IP address, you could always try a proxy server if that does not break any laws .

I'm really not sure about Germany, but I live in Slovenia, and I haven't had any problems activating on release date, even though the game wasn't available in Slovene stores for another couple of weeks.

Guys. I think we've basically covered every topic of conversation / issue that's been discussed. I'm really not sure what else we can say except to thank you for your opinion and say that, for those that want the information, we'll look at at releasing more info on Steam. To confirm what we do know. From our FM09 activation - we learned that, for every person playing the game legitimately, at least three others are playing cracked versions.

Steam isn't something that's going to kill your computer. It is something that you need to download to play the game this year, but we're not going to apologise for the anti-piracy measure we feel we had to take (and once again it is an anti-piracy measure). There are some great things we've learned from this thread about how you guys play this game alongside other Steam games and how it's genuinely affected how you play the game for example.

Some things that we'll genuinely look at making better in the future, but we're not going to change our long term anti-piracy stance. I hope even the most critical of you can understand that we're doing this to protect the future of FM and make sure that, not only that we can still make the game in years to come, but we can make sure that SI can continue to make it the game that has made these forums such a vibrant and informed place to get your passionate feedback.

Thanks for all of your comments so far, we truly do appreciate a lot of the constructive feedback / discussion.

I'm really not sure about Germany, but I live in Slovenia, and I haven't had any problems activating on release date, even though the game wasn't available in Slovene stores for another couple of weeks.

The game cannot be retailed in Germany due to legal restrictions related to EA & their exclusive license agreement.

I have a feeling it does as reqeusts that are made from German IP addresses to download/authenticate the game may be blocked be Steam, I'm not 100% sure on that but at this stage neither are SI or Sega.

Really shouldnt happen. The game is banned from being sold there, not banned from being actually PLAYED. If you import it, there should be no reason for steam not allowing you to activate. And you could always use a proxy/reinstall steam in a different language if the worst happens.

One thing made Steam an excellent option for me is that before there was FM on Steam, I had to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the release date of FM to be available to buy here in Slovenia...

That was your choice. You could have preordered it online and receive it around release day for half the price or just go to a local shop and buy it on release day for full price. This isnt zimbabwe. There are plenty of shops selling pc games around here. Hell you could even drive to austria and get the german version and be back in like half an hour.

Thanks for the responses guys, still seems unfair to me. Not gonna be stupid and say 'I'm not buying the game now blah blah blah' but for someone like myself who has been playing the game for 10+ years and my brother for around 5+ years to have to suffer because of criminals is just ridiculous. I don't blame SI but I'm not happy about this, no issues with Steam either, I quite like using Steam for myself but now we need two accounts, two codes and two games in the same house? Madness but nevermind.

You both use the same Steam account but one of you needs to be playing in offline mode, simple.

I have a feeling it does as reqeusts that are made from German IP addresses to download/authenticate the game may be blocked be Steam, I'm not 100% sure on that but at this stage neither are SI or Sega.
Last year, importing the game to Germany and then installing/updating via Steam worked. Let's just hope it stays that way...

One thing made Steam an excellent option for me is that before there was FM on Steam, I had to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the release date of FM to be available to buy here in Slovenia...

That was your choice. You could have preordered it online and receive it around release day for half the price or just go to a local shop and buy it on release day for full price. This isnt zimbabwe. There are plenty of shops selling pc games around here. Hell you could even drive to austria and get the german version and be back in like half an hour.

Neil Brock, you closed my thread! Where's the Poll? Can't that be left open or transferred? What's going on?

EDIT:

Thank you Neil, does the poll not count as something different, or is it difficult to watch?

I agree.

The other thread is distinct from this one because of the poll. While this thread shows lots of written opinions, the other thread provides a quantitative measure of opinion.

It is quite shameful that the poll thread has been closed and of course will now drop down the list of topics into oblivion.

Its obvious that the poll serves a seperate function from this thread. I can only conclude that SI don't want us to see the results of the poll and are desperately trying in whatever fashion possible to silence the dissent here.

Shameful. Every time they take an authoritarian stance like this, everytime they trot out their corporate line, they push me and, I think, many many others, away from them.

As for the earlier comments about praising the SI staff for being on here answering questions late into the night, just remember that they're out here defending the corporate line in the interests of SI, not really to help us at all.

No way i'm dropping 50€ in big bang on release date. Yes there are plenty of shops, but none that i would even remotely trust. I've seen lots of games missing one bit or another in many shops, and really, i dont think we have a decent store that sells videogames(apart from igabiba, but to say that's poorly stocked is an understatement). Steam is probably the best choice unless you want to import from the UK, which is much cheaper. It's just down to, do you want to wait for 2 days-week after release, or do they actually matter to you?

Baresi, you can have the game installed as many times as you want anywhere you want, i'm assuming FM will be steamplay as well here so really there should be no issues.

So, everyone saying steam sucks. Ever tried it?

Really shouldnt happen. The game is banned from being sold there, not banned from being actually PLAYED. If you import it, there should be no reason for steam not allowing you to activate. And you could always use a proxy/reinstall steam in a different language if the worst happens.

A little interent research sugggests that Steam will also ban activation requested by German users for games that are banned in Germany, the only work around appears to be the purchase of a boxed version in Austria but this does not always work & for someone living in for example Hamburg a trek to Austria is not exactly a easy task.

I always have Steam open anyway, so the decision doesn't affect me. Even moreso because I won't be getting the game anyway. But those who are upset at the decision:

- You don't have to buy the game, vote with your wallets

- SI can do what they want and don't owe you anything, regardless of how many years you've been buying their product

- The FM franchise will not grind to a halt because of this decision, if anything it'll probably outsell last year's

- The same feedback and predictions that it will damage the brand have been made for the last 4 years ever since activation was introduced

- There is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about having Steam installed, it may be time for you to have to move in to the 21st century, I know, I know, change is scary

I haven't posted on these forums on a while, but I have to say I agree with everything above.

One quick question though, having not bought FM11, what were the options for its activation?

does that mean i can only install the game on one computer and activate it? i have a pc and a mac on both laptops i have installed the game....

Quite the opposite. You need to install on any computer via Steam, then you can log onto Steam on any computer worldwide and acces the game through your Steam account.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. I only play FM and only use steam for FM, there is nothing wrong with it and it is very useful if your laptop has no DVD drive. I now have a new laptop with a DVD drive and although I buy the disk I still just download it, it seem to run better this way in my opinion.

I haven't posted on these forums on a while, but I have to say I agree with everything above.

One quick question though, having not bought FM11, what were the options for its activation?

FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.

If you think this decision will increase sales you are very naive, if anything it will drive more people to use pirated versions of the game!

I think it's going to sell more actually, and make them a bigger profit.

See i can make baseless accusations as well.

Give steam a shot, if it's such a dealbreaker for you, you mind telling us why? As for the pirated part, dunno, i think it's going to remain about the same, maybe a few more purchases than last year compared to the amount of pirated copies.

FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.

Thanks very much for the reply, especially given the fact it's a Saturday.

I think it's clear though that SEGA and SI are continually trying to find the best method to combat piracy whilst also trying to cause as little an inconvenience as possible to the paying customers. If it doesn't work this year, whether it's because piracy hasn't been impacted too much, or there's been a fall in paying customers, then I'm sure it'll be changed for the next release.

No way i'm dropping 50€ in big bang on release date. Yes there are plenty of shops, but none that i would even remotely trust. I've seen lots of games missing one bit or another in many shops, and really, i dont think we have a decent store that sells videogames(apart from igabiba, but to say that's poorly stocked is an understatement). Steam is probably the best choice unless you want to import from the UK, which is much cheaper. It's just down to, do you want to wait for 2 days-week after release, or do they actually matter to you?

Baresi, you can have the game installed as many times as you want anywhere you want, i'm assuming FM will be steamplay as well here so really there should be no issues.

So, everyone saying steam sucks. Ever tried it?

You dont want to pay 50euro in the local shop but are prepared to pay 50 euro for a steam version? Personally im prepared to wait a few days and save 20+ euros.

And yes i do use steam. I have plenty of games as well. Its just that im not prepared to pay more than 5 eur for a game that is DRM infected. Its just not worth much to me if i dont control it. Besides there is always the problem of two people wanting to play two different games at the same time. Steam doesnt allow you to do it. Its not very family friendly.

Anyway...as i said before im not buying it just like i didnt buy FM09. If they want to release a DRM only game then they should adjust the price. Its not worth more than 5 eur in that form.

btw is it possible to use the Steam cloud with those 200mb save files? I am on fast connection and it wouldn't be a problem, but is it technically possible on Steam's part?

The limit is 100mb per game so it's going to be iffy if it's used.

Jakob, as i said, it's down to if you want to wait or not. Easily going to be much cheaper if you import it. And yes, i'd rather pay 50 euros for the steam version than pay that in a local shop, i already had games missing serial numbers and even manuals. Either way, importing really would be the best option indeed.

And yet FM11 sold very very well.

And if you think Steam will do ANYTHING at all to combat piracy you are delusional at best. Its pretty much the worst copy protection system available. If you dont believe me just go to any torrent site on the release day and look for yourself.

Archived