*OFFICIAL* Blog Feedback - Scouting

Ah now I understand. So its a piracy issue rather than the people just not being able to understand any of the languages already available? Any ideas why the piracy is so big in Turkey in relation to other countries?

Because of the taxes and the income...

Lets say that an average person in UK earns 2000 pounds per month and can buy the game for 30 punds or so easily

in turkey an average person earns less than 1000 pounds, with worlds most expensive gas, expensive utilities and taxes.. so unfortunately most people pirate...

Me.. I've been buying FM series originally since 2000 thats when I turned 18 and knew better.

Back to the topic, I am sure new internet laws will limit piracy in Turkey in the future so we can have lots of sales...

Also a special pricing in Turkey could help a lot too....

Anyway. I am expecting the game to come to steam asap so i can pre purchase it. FM series is the only game in the world that i prepurchase as they never fail to meet expectations each year.

Lets say that an average person in UK earns 2000 pounds per month and can buy the game for 30 punds or so easily

I wish that I earned 2000 pounds a month, I would be very chuffed.

Either way, 30 pounds values completely differently for a person from Western Europe and someone from the Balkans, for example. I understand GaIatasaray completely as the same situation is in Croatia and its surrounding countries. It's difficult to pay that much for a PC game when you really need that money for the essentials.

Either way, 30 pounds values completely differently for a person from Western Europe and someone from the Balkans, for example. I understand GaIatasaray completely as the same situation is in Croatia and its surrounding countries. It's difficult to pay that much for a PC game when you really need that money for the essentials.

So? Not having a go at you, but if you can't afford it (which I'm not convinced people can't afford a game that will keep them busy for a year) then you don't play it. I can't afford a new Jaguar car, does this justify me going our and stealing one?

does the new scouting thingy make more use of the extremely under used player 'biography'? i think the potential for that is massive. it could even be open for modding/editing. its one thing looking at a load of scores out of 20 on a spreadsheet, but to have an indepth player background for each player would be awesome! i can see that player x is great at heading, but to know a little about the players background, history and personality would be the icing on the cake.

There are a a few hundred thousand people in Turkey playing the game without a translation, Stevo. If a tiny percentage of those people paid for it, then we'd be able to afford to do the translation. This has been a long running issue, and one I've spoken about a lot in the press over in Turkey.

Hi!

A question regarding release in former USSR - will the game be available via STEAM as the last year? It would be a great treat for true fans here - no need to try to buy the game while on business trip/vacation in Europe or wait for the Russian version which is not awailable in Ukraine anyway.

I know that Russian version (translated in Russian) is much more attractive for customers in Russia and Ukraine, but it is only (99%) goes on sale in Russian Federation, while fans in Ukraine and other former Soviet Republics (apart from Baltic states) have to rely upon friends/trips/overseas shipments (later are not always reliable due to strict cutoms restrictions in CD/DVD shipments here. I work for TV and we have huge problems with shipping Betacams/DVDs from our partners- thus now we get everything over FTPs...).

Cheers,

Ivan

• SI Staff
Because of the taxes and the income...

in turkey an average person earns less than 1000 pounds, with worlds most expensive gas, expensive utilities and taxes.. so unfortunately most people pirate...

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread at all, but a couple of points what you've written above. Tax rates is Turkey are way less than in most European countries. The highest tax rate in Turkey is 35%. In the UK, it's 50%. The basic rate of tax in the 2 countries is the same, at 20%. Which is way lower than Sweden, for example, where there is a basic rate of 28.9% and a higher rate of around 60%.

If by gas, you mean petrol, then the price of unleaded petrol in Turkey is higher than in the UK. The price of diesel is lower though.

Electricty wise, Turkey is around 5c (US) cheaper per kw than the UK.

The average wage in Turkey is definitely lower than in the UK though.

• SI Staff
Hi!

A question regarding release in former USSR - will the game be available via STEAM as the last year? It would be a great treat for true fans here - no need to try to buy the game while on business trip/vacation in Europe or wait for the Russian version which is not awailable in Ukraine anyway.

I know that Russian version (translated in Russian) is much more attractive for customers in Russia and Ukraine, but it is only (99%) goes on sale in Russian Federation, while fans in Ukraine and other former Soviet Republics (apart from Baltic states) have to rely upon friends/trips/overseas shipments (later are not always reliable due to strict cutoms restrictions in CD/DVD shipments here. I work for TV and we have huge problems with shipping Betacams/DVDs from our partners- thus now we get everything over FTPs...).

Cheers,

Ivan

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that. You'd need to ask SEGA. But if it was available in the country on Steam last year, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be this year too (y)

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread at all, but a couple of points what you've written above. Tax rates is Turkey are way less than in most European countries. The highest tax rate in Turkey is 35%. In the UK, it's 50%. The basic rate of tax in the 2 countries is the same, at 20%. Which is way lower than Sweden, for example, where there is a basic rate of 28.9% and a higher rate of around 60%.

If by gas, you mean petrol, then the price of unleaded petrol in Turkey is higher than in the UK. The price of diesel is lower though.

Actually i was more talking about the ratio...

All those utilities cost way too much when you divide it with the income....

And with the taxes the regular taxes might be lower but when you think of importing goods from other countries than there is also a tax added to that as well. So its like being taxed twice...

Lets say that FM12 is sent from UK, there will be a foreign goods tax + regular sales tax...

When i used to have a PS3, a game in US would cost 60 dollars for example but in Turkey it would cost near 90 US dollars in a certified store.

We are getting screwed here over and over unfortunately...

I am sure you guys do the marketing all the time but I am in some Turkish forums where people say that " if this year the price is lower i will buy the game originally " ...

We even had a thread that we tried to pursuade many Turkish forum members to buy the game originally so the sales would increase, and maybe you could add Turkish language to the game as well..

One last point.

So many people who buy the game originally they buy it from some UK sites like shopto.net or others i believe.

When a game is sold through a UK online retailer, do you count that game sold in UK? or take the shipping adress into account?

i REALLY would love that Turkey will be a much more profitable country for you guys to make more money.. For all i know i am 28 and being playing the game since i was way younger.

Maybe one day we can have the sales up in here...

I really dont want to bore you with lots of speeches as i am sure you have other stuff to attend to as the game is nearing a release date :)

Meanwhile I will do all i can here to make sure people buy the game originally and via Turkish shops.

I dont mind recieving a 1% fee from your sales :lol:

No - unfortunately we still don't get anywhere near selling the amount of copies in Turkey to justify paying for a translation to be done.

Why would you pay for it? I'm pretty sure that with the Turkish community as volunteer, you can get FM 2013 in Turkish.

Well said Miles, you would make a good Euro politician :p

Well said Miles, you would make a good Euro politician :p

Why would you pay for it? I'm pretty sure that with the Turkish community as volunteer, you can get FM 2013 in Turkish.

I had always thought so too. Heck I could even help translating the game but i guess its not just translating. There are lots of coding too i believe...

Also a volunteer might have some typing mistakes and etc and a paid person would do a much better job well cause he is getting paid.

Also I believe there are waaaay to many things to translate which is NOT easy and time consuming as well...

Can we still turn attribute masking off?

For lower league managers who doesn't have decent scouts, would you still get a decent report?

One thing you could introduce for next year is scouting league knowledge. like countries but assigned to specific leagues, so a lower league team can get a decent report if we was to hire a scout with a high BSP/N/S rating so then at least we would get a half decent report.

• SI Staff
lets just say you go join a new club will the scouts already have a list of players they have previously scouted while the old manager has been thier ?

Yes.

So many people who buy the game originally they buy it from some UK sites like shopto.net or others i believe.

When a game is sold through a UK online retailer, do you count that game sold in UK? or take the shipping adress into account?

That depends - when we were using uniloc as copy protection, we were able to see exactly where the games were registered.

Last year, with Steam & disc only, it was worked out using a ratio of how many people in Turkey played through Steam, multiplied by the global percentage of sales vs those who registered via Steam.

So it's not just based on actual sales in the country, no.

And what about the demo version? Is the "provisional" release date the 7th of October?

There is no provisional release date for the demo. We won't even think about the demo until the game is mastered and in manufacture, and will work out the date then.

That was tried, and failed, for FM12.

Can we still turn attribute masking off?

For lower league managers who doesn't have decent scouts, would you still get a decent report?

Yes, you can still turn off attribute masking. If you're scouts are rubbish, then the reports will be less likely to be accurate.

looking good guys. Is the scout reports likely to be more attribute focused? for example a scout with low tactical knowledge not give accurate tactical feedback. same with current ability.

I did a couple of tests with fm11 where i saved the day after a game and copied the save 3 times, each time changing the attributes of the scouts from all 20 to all 1 and an average rating and i found that the scout reports were largely the same, all told me the same formation (although not that hard really) all told me about their pacey strikers being rubbish in the air, all picked the same dangerman. (this was for the next game i played which was 7 days after the game i saved from)

the only difference i found was the star ratings each gave a player i randomly scouted, it appeared to only affect the scouting of players.

I did a couple of tests with fm11 where i saved the day after a game and copied the save 3 times, each time changing the attributes of the scouts from all 20 to all 1 and an average rating and i found that the scout reports were largely the same, all told me the same formation (although not that hard really) all told me about their pacey strikers being rubbish in the air, all picked the same dangerman. (this was for the next game i played which was 7 days after the game i saved from)

This is why I currently do not use the scout next opposition assignment, if the same model is followed then I will feel very let down.

Hi Miles!

I'm from the Philippines and we have an exclusive provider here of games (Datablitz) where I buy my games. Would you have any idea on number of people buying FM in my country? As it is, I don't personally know of anyone else playing the game here (though I am marketing it to my football friends)?

Also, how is the Southeast Asia market of FM?

does the new scouting thingy make more use of the extremely under used player 'biography'? i think the potential for that is massive. it could even be open for modding/editing. its one thing looking at a load of scores out of 20 on a spreadsheet, but to have an indepth player background for each player would be awesome! i can see that player x is great at heading, but to know a little about the players background, history and personality would be the icing on the cake.

heres a quick example-

CraigBellamyProfile_Attributes-2.png

okay, on the surface of things, this looks like a fairly quick over 30 year old with great work rate, a few caps and slightly above average finishing. thats to somebody who doesnt know him. what if you read his biography? what would that say?

the 'biography' section is in my opinion a very under used feature and needs improving and should be open to editing. that way your not just buying a 2D spreadsheet thats got 18 for tackling, your buying a 3D person!

intersted to know how you feel about that miles.

Something I've wanted for a while as a scouting addition is to specify which positions I am scouting him for. Say I scout an AMRL. He is naturally an AMR, accomplished AML, and right footed. If I scout him my scout will tell me how he compares to my existing AMRs - "he would be the 2nd best right winger at the club." However I am looking to buy him as an AML because I want to play him to cut in off the flank as an Inside Forward using my tactic. Sure he might play some games AMR, but primarily I want him as an AML. I see the following options:

1 - better scouts allow you to scout a player's accomplished, or competent positions. A very good scout might be able to scout competent, accomplished & natural. A poor scout might only tell you about natural.

2 - a scout might be able to give an opinion on accomplished/competent positions on a 2nd or 3rd visit to the player.

3 - you could just choose when you go to scout him what position you're looking at him for.

4 - a scout naturally gives an opinion on how a player is at his 'other' positions in his usual report.

Are any of these possible Miles?

Something I've wanted for a while as a scouting addition is to specify which positions I am scouting him for. Say I scout an AMRL. He is naturally an AMR, accomplished AML, and right footed. If I scout him my scout will tell me how he compares to my existing AMRs - "he would be the 2nd best right winger at the club." However I am looking to buy him as an AML because I want to play him to cut in off the flank as an Inside Forward using my tactic. Sure he might play some games AMR, but primarily I want him as an AML. I see the following options:

1 - better scouts allow you to scout a player's accomplished, or competent positions. A very good scout might be able to scout competent, accomplished & natural. A poor scout might only tell you about natural.

2 - a scout might be able to give an opinion on accomplished/competent positions on a 2nd or 3rd visit to the player.

3 - you could just choose when you go to scout him what position you're looking at him for.

4 - a scout naturally gives an opinion on how a player is at his 'other' positions in his usual report.

Are any of these possible Miles?

I've brought this up a few times but with some of the threads there is so much activity that it gets by passed some of the time so you don't get a response, well that what I've found anyway. But I agree with you with the football world lack of quality left-footed players who are naturally AML's you have to really on accomplised players who are either naturally AMCs or AMRs and you have no idea if they are better than you player until you buy them and they are in your squad, I have wasted a few fair millions on AMLs that aren't better than mine.

I have a question on scouting assignments, when I send a scout on a general nation/region assignment will he only return reports on players that would not otherwise appear on the player search screen as well-known players?

I have a question on scouting assignments, when I send a scout on a general nation/region assignment will he only return reports on players that would not otherwise appear on the player search screen as well-known players?

The players that appear in you Player search screen show attenable target so to speak, there is an option automatically ticked in the filters that filters out any player that your assistant thinks are un-realistic mainly players way above your level. Also the player search screen is linked to you teams scouting knowledge, the more your scouting knowledge goes up the more players show

Does't fully answer my question, what I'm interested in is if the scouts will come back with their own reports on players that are already on the well-known list under player search, I guess it is something that can only be 100% confirmed by someone from SI who has dealt with the coding.

The reason I ask is that currently there are 56543 players listed as well-known with 4290 reports, I then picked an arbitary value of at least £100k of which only 9766 meet this limit & of those only 648 have a scout reports.

It all depends where you send your scouts, if you don't send a scout to italy for arguments sake there will be no scout reports for even the well-known players. Also I don't think scout will report on every single player becuase if you a top premier league team the scout wont give reports for the conference league players unless it finds a real gem. I think its coded in to coincided with you clubs reputation and your current players. Well that's my take on it becuase there is no point in my scout going to me 'I have scout x player and he isn't anywhere near playing for me or the league below'.

I think you have your figures wrong aswell because if I read that right with a value of at least 100K (higher than) out of the 9766 players only 648 have been scouted. But if in total 4290 have been scouted then that would mean 3642 player are valued less than 100K, so looking at it from that way you are most probably a small team so your scout wont give you reports on players that are way out of your league. There is no point in him telling you that Messi is way better than anyone in your team but will never come to you.

The scouts job is to find players suitable for your club unless you tell him to scout a specifc player.

I think you have your figures wrong aswell because if I read that right with a value of at least 100K (higher than) out of the 9766 players only 648 have been scouted. But if in total 4290 have been scouted then that would mean 3642 player are valued less than 100K, so looking at it from that way you are most probably a small team so your scout wont give you reports on players that are way out of your league. There is no point in him telling you that Messi is way better than anyone in your team but will never come to you.

Everyting you've said is more or less how I think the system works, the paragraph I have quoted does follow a logical thought process but if you look at the numbers in terms of percentage of players with reports I am looking at 6.6% & 7.5% which from an statistical standpoint is an acceptable margin to hypothesise that my current club's reputation is not the determining factor.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that. You'd need to ask SEGA. But if it was available in the country on Steam last year, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be this year too (y)

Thanks a lot!

FM12 became available for our territories on STEAM for 39,99 USD.

Am I correct in thinking the new scout reports (including those for your own team by your coaches) include role recommendation? If so, I assume it's accuracy is based upon how good the particular scout or coach is?

I know it's possible on FM11 to judge this yourself by looking at the stats in the highlighted fields on the tactics>player instructions screen but sometimes a player's figures are all much of a muchness, good or bad, and it's difficult to decifer.

Loving the sound of scouting other clubs and having the "last match" tab to give you info on your oppo's last match as the current scout reports on your next opposition aren't particularly useful and it should help in getting a result in games you may not have done previously.

Tactics analysis sounds brilliant, many times i've found my side in a bit of a rut and feel a change in set-up might get a result and seeing how i've fared using each tactic will be a massive help. :thup:

October 21st sounds good to me, a week before my Mrs is due to give birth so with 2 weeks off after the birth there should be plenty of time for FM :lol: Maybe not.

Loving the sound of scouting other clubs and having the "last match" tab to give you info on your oppo's last match as the current scout reports on your next opposition aren't particularly useful and it should help in getting a result in games you may not have done previously.

Tactics analysis sounds brilliant, many times i've found my side in a bit of a rut and feel a change in set-up might get a result and seeing how i've fared using each tactic will be a massive help. :thup:

October 21st sounds good to me, a week before my Mrs is due to give birth so with 2 weeks off after the birth there should be plenty of time for FM :lol: Maybe not.

Im of the same opinion mate as my Mrs is due October 24th so with the following 2 weeks off that means plenty of game time (especially during all those sleepless nights) :p

I've just remembered something about scouting that irks me.

Currently I am only allowed to scout a few select nations in Europe however my board does allow me to send scouts to report on international tournaments & continental competitions in South/North America which leads on to the issue I have with the current model.

As things stand if my scout reports back on a player he spots in a NACL match I cannot ask him to watch the lad a few more times to put together a more detailed report, it would be helpful if an option was introduced where the scout comes back with his initial report & then ask if you would like him to pay closer attention to the player for a set period of time. This could also see the introduction of a new aspect of scouting whereby we could have the scout not only watching matches but also being granted access to training sessions if the lad plays for a club that is a 'selling club' or you have a good/linked relationship with the club or manager.

Edit: Actually competition scouting needs an overhaul full stop, how many people see this problem? Send 2 scouts to the World Cup & have both scouts report back on the same players. Given that on a match day there can 3 or 4 games it has always struck me that it is a nonsense that your scouts would go to watch the same match. This is even more of a problem if I assign a couple of scouts to keep an eye on the Champions/Europa league or a specific division, 8 to 24 matches to watch & all the scouts will go to watch the same game.

As for the number of reports you get back from competition scouting that is a whole different set of problems, I've had scouts watching a division for 18 months with next to zero results yet I will see that the AI somehow manages to unearth that next midfield maestro plying his trade in the non-league.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the addition that compares the star rating of scouted player to your own players is brilliant.

But I still miss the cost of scouting trips. If I send a scout to Africa, that trip is going to cost the club more money than a scouting trip in Scotland for example. I'd like to see those costs before I send him there, so I can wager wheather or not the Africa trip is doable.

Same goes for friendlies by the way. Nice to go to Samoa in pre-season to get a nice appearance fee, but getting a football team to the other side of the world will probably be costlier than that fee will bring in. But thats off-topic

Archived