Sports Interactive Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WeLoveTheSaints!

The Libero - The West German's 1-4-3-2

Right this could be a huge post, but I'll try and make it quick and simple. Also, excuse my English because I'm awful when it comes to things like this and also I like to thank furiousuk for helping me do this with some of his wisdom words. :applause:

History

Depending how old you are, you may remember the famous West German side that won the World Cup in 1990 under the guidance of Franz Beckenbauer who previously won the World Cup in 1974 as a player and captain. He was the first kind on the 'Attacking Sweeper' back in 1970. When he became the manager of West Germany in the mid 1980's before the reunification of Germany, he used the formation known 1-4-3-2 (as in the title). Which consisted of the use of now known as a libero which in Italian mean free, so by that he requires the freedom to play his football and do what is best for the time, it's like a defensive trequartista who main duty is defend though, but also provide a reckoning force attacking too. For me I never seen it played as I was born after the 1994 World Cup which was last used under Franz Beckenbauer. But now especially in England the sweeper is redundant, but still appears sparsely in continental football. I have never seen it used in Football Manager as of yet, but a question for you all, have you? What was the team and who was managing the side?

Explanation Of The Role

The libero is a versatile version of the sweeper whom is a all defensive player, however the libero is attacking as well as defensive. When the team is defending, he acts like a sweeper, however when the team is attack he pushes forward in front of the centre defenders and he becomes an acting deep-lying playmaker. So effectively plays two roles at once, but depending on the situation hence why a playmaker or box to box midfielders such like Lothar Matthäus when he was in his 20's suited to the role of the libero (which he did post-1990 World Cup) so effectively, the likes of Steven Gerrard's and Frank Lampard's should be able to play the role, but it depends on their versatility as a player and be able to adapt to the role of a libero. So really, a libero needs to be very technical with his play, has a very, very good footballing brain as well as being physically fit as well to do the job in hand so personally using this type of player will really need to be your best player in your squad or one of the best at least due to attributes it highly requires.

The Tactic Itself

The tactic itself will be a tactic that should be very strong defensively and hopefully will be a good force attacking with the full backs pushing forward, the three centre midfielders who'll spread wide to give room for the libero to run into the space behind and play as an acting playmaker. So in respects when it defends it defends with 5 players with 3 in the middle, two stoppers and a sweeper (covering defender) in behind clearing it all up. Then when attacking, there 8 players attacking the box, overloading it with the full backs, the centre three, the two forward and of course the libero too. The play is slow building up play like Arsenal so allowing the libero to push forward after defending, there is a deep defensive line and the play is stretched to it width to give room and the gaps for the libero to push into and to create more space going forward allowing more golden opportunities to be created.

Testing And Problems

After testing with Bolton (Holidaying whilst sleeping), there are three issues that I need to rectify at this moment of time.

1. Lack of possesion...
  2. Lack of goals..
  3. Libero not pushing forward enough...

Although I achieved a respectable 10th place in the league and the greatest victory I saw was a 3:1 victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford even with the 35% possession that I had. However the problems as you can see are well linked together. The lack of possession, causes the libero not to push forward as much as it needs to defend a lot more, which also causes the burden of lack of goal that is scored. However, I will be doing a game another game for myself to see how to fix those problems and hopefully sometime soon, I might be able to upload a tactic to share with you all.

Thank you for reading,

Yours,

Matt

I like long posts, but this is a nice sized post with clear points and good explanation. I would love to see the use of Libero's more commonly. I've attempted to use one before but havent ever known properly how to implement such a role. Be good to see if you can make some more analysis on the role when you try and fix the problems you've encountered, would make a good read :thup:

This is probably than the longer than the essays I was suppose to do for my GCSEs which I always got moaned at for not explaining the points I made... I've used a libero in FM 2010 with a Brazilian side and got it to work very well. But I lost the tactic, unfortunately. I'm someone who like analysis game thoroughly to see why I lost and what the opponents did to cause me to lose and try to change it for the better. And thank you very much.

Testing And Problems

After testing with Bolton (Holidaying whilst sleeping), there are three issues that I need to rectify at this moment of time.

1. Lack of possesion...
  2. Lack of goals..
  3. Libero not pushing forward enough...

I've had problem n. 3when I managed Hoyvik in the Faroer in my FM 2010 save. Seems quite impossible te get him to push up to the DMC slot, even with attackin mentality and "Runs from deep" often. I'll be following this thread to see if you can make it work.

The tactic itself was very succesfull ,by the way. I managed to get promoted the first season with a badly gelled squad and very bad players. Seems to work best against 442 formation.

I once tried putting a defender and libero on run from deep often and highest mentality possible (with the rest of the team all around normal). Sadly it just doesn't work, the current positioning and movement system is just too strict and inflexible.

It's really the one thing I hope they improve, more flexibility and control over movement and positioning in all phases of play would make this game amazing.

the ME is just too rigid for this formation to work. one of the biggest weaknesses of the ME is that you cant tell players where to move while with the ball. you mentioned the CMs going wide to make room for the libero, this wont work. the CMs wont move into wide positions no matter what instructions you use. the libero will rarely come forward as well.

Since his positioning can't be right in this ME, maybe one can make a working tactic with three (or five) defenders, but I'm affraid it would be quite rigid and defensive. This was indeed the case in my 532 system.

To get a libero type player to work within the constraints of the ME I'd put him at DM I think, the defensive side of his play wouldn't work, but attacking wise, with a free role and set as playmaker should see him being the marshall that he should be.

I've set him up yesterday to play as a DM in Deep Lying Playmaker role but with the defensive aspiration that is required and it's working well. I am pleased to announced!

It's a triangle, because of the sweeper (defensive midfielder due to rigid ME) and two centre backs, but the full backs are not that attacking they support the play.

I haven't used the Libero formation since FM09, so my advice might not be perfect, but I'm sure the problems with the inflexible ME are similar.

1. PPM "gets forward whenever possible" is invaluable.

2. If you want him to get forward, get him to bring the ball forward himself: PPM "runs with ball through centre" and player instruction (not PPM) run with ball often. By force of his position, if he has good decisions, he should be cautious enough not to try and dribble around strikers all the time and balls it up.

3. Set him as a playmaker (or target man) - players may not look to bring him into play often enough if you don't.

4. Do NOT give him tight marking either as an instruction or as a PPM keep him on loose zonal. If you don't, he just won't move. He'll sit and mark a striker. Against two-man attacks, have your CBs on man marking- so they can stick close to the STs and your Libero can sweep up any leftovers.

5. Playing too wide will leave a gap down the middle when your Libero gets caught out in attack. Probably worth having a sweeper keeper.

6. Make sure he has a full 20 Attacking mentality, high creative freedom, and FWR often, but make sure your defenders have high mentalities also, even though you don't watn them getting forward (otherwise, he'll be looking to push forward, they'll be looking to sit, and he'll barely be behind them at all).

Make sure he has top notch Anticipation, Tackling, Pace and Positioning and he can do a job in defence- he'll ghost forward for interceptions (his mentality will always make him eager to go forward) and he'll make the last gasp challenges too.

He'll do a lot of heading, so make sure he can jump and head also.

For attacking, make sure he has good teamwork, passing and dribbling. A good long shot will probably serve you well- often, when he does push forward it'll be late in the move, and he'll arrive at the edge of the area unmarked (there's never anyone to mark a Libero)

The easiest way to get the right attribute spread is to retrain a DM, or alternatively a FB/WB. If you're just testing, you might want to FMRTE them up to "natural" in the SW position, but if you're not, bear in mind that a player who doesn't know the SW position is a complete liability- it's the worst place for positional incompetence- so you'll have to be patient and try them only against the weakest competition, or wait for a fair while until they're at least competent at the position.

Oh, and playing with a holding midfielder of some sort is useful for getting your Libero forward. Players in the ME don't like pushing forward unless there are a reasonable number of players sitting back, to deal with the number of oppo forwards. Against two-man attacks, you'll get your Libero forward more often if there's a DM to sit for him on occasion.

Thanks Dekker for the post. I've set him up to full attacking, freedom and with Gary Cahill or Matty Taylor, or both maybe think they did have get forward whenever possible and I always played a zonal marking as I need to have the formation to keep shape.

One of my long term wishes for the future is to be allowed to enforce any instruction on any player and have it be carried out. Such as a central defender charging to the box, or moving wide etc. It is as if some of these instructions are disabled by player's position and just won't do anything at all. Then again I suspect that there is a reason for this. And the reason might well be that the ME isn't able to handle this more obscure behaviour.

For an attacking libero, you could try playing him as an DM with forward runs often etc. and specifically telling him to mark one of the opposition forwards. (By a quick glance this wasn't mentioned yet.) I'll have to test this myself soon.

(I'd personally do this with your wing backs and opposition wingers as well.)

This way you would get him to play more like a central defender when not in possession.

May do this for FM 2012 and import my theories onto there. I will still use the sweeper position until all is impossible to do from there.

For an attacking libero, you could try playing him as an DM with forward runs often etc. and specifically telling him to mark one of the opposition forwards. (By a quick glance this wasn't mentioned yet.) I'll have to test this myself soon.

Yeah, didn't work. :)

The DM largely operates in the DM strata, while picking up the striker only when the ball is played to the final third. The marking doesn't kick in before that.

This behavior in itself is interesting though. The DM sweeps behind the midfielders when the opponent regains possession and attempts to keep it in non-dangerous zones. When they advance to more dangerous areas the DM drops into the defense line and you're left with an extra man in the back.